Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3579 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Game Reviews
1. Re: Game Reviews May 23, 2018, 11:16 Fion

So Conan Exiles - a game designed for groups of people to explore, build castles, fight their enemies and survive the dangers of the world - is a shit single player experience.

Huh... who would have thought.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online Summerset Live on PC
17. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online Summerset Live on PC May 22, 2018, 11:22 Fion

If you just bought and don't plan on subbing. A few suggestions:

- Your inventory & bank space is going to be restrictive at first if you plan on crafting because you won't have the crafting bag to hold all those mats.

- Save up your money to buy bank space and visit bag merchants (one in every major city) to increase your inventory space.

- Once you get a horse, you'll find a horse trainer in each city. You can upgrade some horse 'skills' once per real day. Highly recommend you do this every single day and increase your bag space first. Each line caps at 60 so it'll take 2 months or more, but worth it if you don't sub.

- A good way to make money early on is through thievery. I recommend making a Khajiit character specifically to invest into being a better thief. Google for some guides online for skills to pick up, places to rob, etc. You can make quite a lot of money in well under an hour each day. More than enough to pay for your daily horse upgrade.

This comment was edited on May 22, 2018, 11:34.

News Comments > Conan Exiles Launches
9. Re: Conan Exiles Launches May 8, 2018, 14:53 Fion

Game looks pretty awesome. I won't be getting it right away, but it's definitely on my list of games to pick up.  

News Comments > Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter
4. Re: Blizzard's Announced Competitive PvP Shooter Apr 27, 2018, 13:21 Fion

But.. don't they already have one of those? It's very successful and continues to make Acti/Blizz a fortune.

What's this about wanting a single player game from Blizzard? They don't make single player games, though they do make games focused toward multiplayer co-op, or a multiplayer game with a co-op/singleplayer campaign included.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Medicare to require hospitals to post prices online. Apr 26, 2018, 12:01 Fion

IDK, this might actually drive down prices. Hospital prices can vary hugely and because for the most part that information isn't openly viewable there's little competition between them, even if the local hospital charges 30% more for something simple like blood tests than the hospital 20 miles further away. Forcing hospitals to reveal the cost - even if only to medicare (which is almost always pays less for procedures than other insurance - it might drive down prices.

Lets not forget that even publicly owned hospitals are a business and therefor the focus is often on making money. Medicare and other insurance companies are constantly fighting over pricing, and medicare more often than not gets the lowest prices in the industry. So Slim, if you had traditional insurance, you'd probably be paying even more.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 24, 2018, 13:36 Fion

Sad to see Ash vs. Evil Dead get cancelled. STARS didn't help by setting the Season 3 premier against the return of the Walking Dead, and the second episode against the f'ing OSCARS!

It's an awesome series, with the first two seasons available on Netflix (and hopefully the third soon). It's gory and hilariously funny. It wouldn't have been possible without Bruce Campbell, who was amazing from the first line; and Sam Raimi who set the tone by writing and directing the first episode.

News Comments > Conan Exiles Trailer Celebrates Next Month's Launch
4. Re: Conan Exiles Trailer Celebrates Next Month's Launch Apr 13, 2018, 13:51 Fion

To answer some questions: Jagacademy, it isn't an MMO. You can just join a server set up for new players, or one where everyone starts from fresh the day it launches, etc.

Rigs, the game has a solid amount of both PvE & PvP. You can join (or create) servers that are 100% PvE only, there are plenty that exist. Or join servers set up specifically for guilds to raid each other. Want to play solo? You absolutely can - though you'd be missing out on some of the fun - so I recommend creating a private server just for you and some friends to have fun in.

Cutter I haven't played in the last month or two, but a lot of the bigger problems were fixed and the gameplay was great. With all the new stuff coming with the launch, it's difficult to say if it'll be a 'hot mess' or not.

So as with any game, look for reviews from sites you trust.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Apr 8, 2018, 14:46 Fion

Modern gaming nothing can compare to Mass Effect 3. I've never been more pissed off at a game or the company that made it than with that game. Even the extended version I still fucking hate.

I hated it so much that when a mod came out that introduces a 'good' ending (more bitter sweet), I replayed the entire series - with the modded ending - just to erase that original ending from my mind.

The initial release of the mod was rather rough, but by the time I played through all three games again, I can't imagine not using it. The mod actually uses files & videos already embedded into the game (an ending they must have decided to not use) to completely erase the 'god child' and three choices essentially only changing the color of the ending video.

SO if your even thinking of replaying the series - or picking it up for the first time - it is spectacular, but for the love of god. Use... this... mod!

https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffect3/mods/66/

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Movie and Sales Records
10. Re: Far Cry 5 Movie and Sales Records Apr 5, 2018, 13:23 Fion

I'm really enjoying it myself, and I skipped Far Cry 5 & Primal. Sure it has its problems. The constant patrols put Far Cry 2's 'crossroad guards' to utter shame, but once you start to convert the games regions, it becomes much less a problem. There are some technical issues as well. As someone with an older video card with only 2gb of vram, I had terrible framerate stuttering until I found a few tweaks that improved it, but it still happens occasionally.

The story is rather incoherent, but I personally like the lack of a voice character, let's me RP him as I see fit instead. Though the way it forces you to advance the story via these 'cannot win' encounters is kinda messed up. It's true that in parts, it feels rather forced and doesn't always make sense, though the villains are all interesting for their own reasons. The main story can largely be ignored beyond those 'forced' segments. They happen when you hit certain milestones by rescuing civilians, killing cultists, converting locations, etc.

There are tuns of activities, fun side-quests that put interesting twists on the usual 'kill, fetch, fedex' questing. You can go hunting, fishing, do some areal dogfighting, there are fun stunt races (with hilarious backstories), and much more. The game also features an interesting companion NPC system. As you complete side-quests you can unlock new NPC companions, each with their own fighting style and two traits. You can also hire on random NPCs with two random traits to unlock. The NPC traits work a little like the Nemesis-like system from the 'Shadow' games, though far less complex and impactful. Still, it makes using the various companion characters in different situations really useful. The dog - which was my first unlocked companion - marks all enemies and animals nearby, making him fantastic for hunting.

The gunplay is well done - though the AI is braindead if requested to do anything but finding cover & shooting. The friendly AI has a few issues too. The dog can't get into your vehicle, and while you can order NPC companions around, it's a simple system and they too seem to have trouble getting into cars sometimes. There are dozens of weapons, weapon mods, skins, unique weapons (like a sonic gun that will throw enemies, or blow them apart on a direct hit). The game uses a natural cover system, hiding behind trees, vehicles, the odd sandbagged road-side guard post, etc. The healing system is decent as well, with health packs you can pick-up or buy that take a few moments but heal you up. There is a regen system but it has quite a delay and heals fairly slowly. Same with vehicle variety, you can unlock custom rides like off-road buggies, muscle cars, etc. You can buy cars, trucks, 18-wheelers, helicopters, planes, boats, etc. Once I unlocked a combat chopper, boy I had fun with that!

The perk system is well done, though that it is partially tied to achievements can be somewhat a pain. But if you like to do a little of everything, you'll get most of them with ease.

I feel that you should simply never go into one of these yearly open-world action/adventure games expecting it to have a great story. You'll only end up disappointed. But as one of those who've found that genre growing stale of late (though I understand AC: Origins is rather good), Far Cry 5 is a hell of a lot of fun.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2018, 13:44.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 5, 2018, 13:04 Fion

So long as we have someone like Ajit Pai, who openly sucks at the teet that is media conglomerates, this shit will only get worse.  

News Comments > Vampyr Story Trailer
1. Re: Vampyr Story Trailer Apr 5, 2018, 13:00 Fion

I'm quite hyped for this game. The developer has had middling success so I'm weary, but this game has such an interesting story and setting, and seems very ambitious. X.X fingers!  

News Comments > Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden Gameplay Trailer
2. Re: Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden Gameplay Trailer Mar 28, 2018, 14:40 Fion

Agree. A tactical adventure game with x-com style tactical combat and a lot of mysteries to explore and lore to learn. Looks quite fun, and the graphics are gorgeous.

Nice to see x-com's success in recent years rubbing off on other designers. I'm quite interested to see what Funcom does with this game, and though their first MMO (Anarchy Online) remains my favorite ever, I'm glad they got out of that genre and have seen some success in others. :p

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Features Trailer
3. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Features Trailer Mar 26, 2018, 13:49 Fion

accidental repost  

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Features Trailer
2. Re: Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Features Trailer Mar 26, 2018, 13:42 Fion

Looks interesting. I enjoyed PoE, but I never finished it. Just seemed to slow to a crawl once I reached the big city and I lost interest, and I never picked up any of the DLC.

That doesn't mean I won't ever finish it. With these long RPGs I tend to get part way through them, put them down for months or more, then pick them back up and finish them.

I've had Witcher 3 installed for years for that very reason, lol. Though I have also restarted the game after being a good way through the main campaign because I wanted to try this popular mod called 'Witcher 3 Enhanced Edition' which requires a new save. I liked what the mod does for the game so much I went with the restart. Completely worth it and I heartily recommend it to anyone considering a replay, or diving in to W3 for the first time.

News Comments > Far Cry 5 Reviews
17. Re: Far Cry 5 Reviews Mar 26, 2018, 13:32 Fion

Agree with ItBum, the respawning checkpoints was a pain at first, but once you unlocked some decent gear it was beyond easy to deal with. On top of that, a mod removed the mechanic came out within weeks.

Besides that minor annoyance, I think FC2 was the best in the series. It had a huge and varied world, an interesting story & interesting characters. FC3 was good too, I didn't like the gameplay quite so much (FC2's shear variety of gear could let you approach missions in dozens of ways). But it had a very good story too.

Reviews are too mixed on FC 5 for me to pick it up right away. I'll wait for a sale next xmas or something.

News Comments > Open World Star Wars Game Plans?
19. Re: Open World Star Wars Game Plans? Mar 25, 2018, 12:48 Fion

Sadly many of the great writers and creators that made Bioware great have long since left the studio.  

13. Re: Open World Star Wars Game Plans? Mar 24, 2018, 20:18 Fion

Slick wrote on Mar 24, 2018, 18:45:
Just sayin'... that whole thing has actually been fixed, and wasn't even really an issue in the first place as they disabled paid loot boxes before launch.

Removing the loot boxes was all well and good, but the game was still built around them and thus without them progression became excruciatingly slow.

That's not even my biggest issue with the game though. There's no focus on teaming up, no multi-person vehicles. It's basically a 40 vs. 40 free for all, every man for himself. Unlockable gear being designed to unlock via paid loot boxes means that gear is tremendously more powerful than what everyone starts with.

Add heroes and ships that are beyond more powerful once you unlock high rank cards on them, and after just a few weeks the disparity between no-life hardcores who had 60 hours in the game, just ran around utterly destroying everyone else.

In the end I'm glad they fixed it, I might just reinstall at some point, but for the most part I feel it's too little, too late.

5. Re: Open World Star Wars Game Plans? Mar 24, 2018, 16:38 Fion

YES! I can only hope we see Luke Skywalker killing more waves of bugs!

In all seriousness I was hyped and hopeful when I read 'open world star wars game plans?' That is until I realized it would be an EA game.

*CRIES*

News Comments > Unreal Engine Ray Tracing
8. Re: Unreal Engine Ray Tracing Mar 22, 2018, 13:11 Fion

Simon Says wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 11:48:
Well... nice 1080p24fps graphics on 4 top-end cards you got there... Cya in around 15-20 years on PC...

Yes, every year we get these demonstrations and while they are very impressive, I always see people posting that they can't wait to see games that look this good in the next year or two, or on the next gen consoles.

It's important to note that these demo's are on extremely powerful hardware, and while highly detailed they usually consist of a box or similar background with one or two extremely detailed & high poly characters in them.

Actual games won't look this good, for - as you said - two decades. When everyone's running Nvidia's quantum GPUs.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
4. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 18, 2018, 17:42 Fion

Vermintide 2 #2 for second week. It's hella fun and has a great price point. Though the later stages are somewhat buggy and there seems to be a lot of missing secondary content, like some weapon illusions (skins) that atm look identical to the basic skins for the same weapons (though not always), and there's a ui category for Cosmetics, but there don't appear to be any cosmetics in the game yet.

That said, the combat is deep, the co-op play is fantastic, and there's tuns of opportunities to customize your character and further enhance them to your playstyle.

3579 Comments. 179 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo