Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3525 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Nears 500K Sold
26. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Nears 500K Sold Sep 19, 2017, 14:11 Fion

Grats to them, I'm loving DOS2 so far myself. I was a bit iffy about the whole 'origin character' idea at first, like the game seemed to push you toward playing a character not 100% your own. But their stories and interpersonal conflicts add a great deal to the game.

*very minor spoiler*

I am playing Sebille, the assassin and former slave of the lizard peoples. I decided to add The Red Prince, a red lizard noble and outcast to my group, as I knew there'd be tension. I quickly discovered the two shared a quest goal but for very different reasons. Both wanted to have a chat with a character named Stingtail.

Once I found her, the Red Prince wanted to have a chat alone, which I let him. Turns out she's a Dreamer, one of the 'sects' of lizard people society and they support the Red Prince to be their king and will aid him.

Then I talk with her as Sebille, a wholly different interaction. You see this Stingtail was the one that marked her as a slave, and so my interaction was an interrogation and torture session to get information. Once I had what I needed, I murdered her.

The Red Prince didn't take this lightly, he screamed and started choking Sebille, wondering why she'd just killed he ally. He eventually let her go but the tension has been so high ever since you could cut it with a knife. But that's just with those two, I also have Ifan in the party; a fellow assassin. He and Sebille get along wonderfully, as you'd expect. Then there's Lohse, who's nearly gotten the party killed on at least one occasion as the 'thing' inside her sometimes likes to come out and play.

I'd never seen something like this in a CRPG, it was amazing and really felt like I was playing a Pen & Paper game lol.

ItBurn, Cyceal is a proving ground in the first game. There are plenty of opportunities to find yourself in over your head, quests are purposely open ended to leave it up to you to take the initiative (especially the main murder plot), and it's quite open so you can find yourself overwhelmed in combat. It's like old school D&D, that first level or two are hard as hell, you have little health and too few abilities to use. Frankly DoS2 has plenty of opportunities to get into fights your not ready for as well.

As to the 'way to much to say NPCs' and 'no idea where to go or what to do', sounds like a classic CRPG to me lol.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Interactive Trailer
4. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Interactive Trailer Sep 18, 2017, 18:34 Fion

Thanks for the coupon code. First game was awesome, this one looks to take the great parts of the first and just push them to the next level.  

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer
6. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Trailer Sep 13, 2017, 12:50 Fion

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Sep 13, 2017, 10:59:
Just started playing through Divinity Original Sin in anticipation of this one.

It's an awesome game. Just note that the first zone (Cyseal) is a proving ground of sorts, with some very difficult fights & choices to make. I restarted the game after several hours in, once or twice to find the right balance of skill lines & talent choices to synergize with the companion I chose (Bairdotr, she's awesome). Note: I only had one companion character because I had the Lone Wolf talent on my tank. That removes ability to have a 2nd companion but gives 60% bonus vitality, +1 skill per level up and +1 action point.

Oh and make sure to pick up the Pet Pal talent on a character (or follower you plan on using throughout the game). It seems useless but if you can spare the talent, it adds a shittun of flavor to the game, hints about secrets or fights coming up, and some fun little side-quests.

Other than that Bully is one of the best talents in the game IMHO, get it on all physical damage dealers (tanks, archers, etc). Leech is amazing on your tank. Morning Person is great for your lower-vitality hero or companions, Opportunist a must on the tank, Stench on your back-line chars + Know-it-All on your mage (double reduction on agro). Far-Out-Man a must on mages. Picture of Health on your tank. Arrow-Recovery is solid for archers but I found I rarely ran out of special arrows. All good talent recommendations.

Oh and one last tip, the +attribute or skill talents are solid for early game but worthless by 2/3 the way through as you'll unlock respec and the same NPC will trade points in attribute/skill/talent at 1 for 2. Not only do you save precious talent slots, but the later is far better if you want an extra attribute or skill point for squeezing into a build your after.

Ok wrong again, the last tip: bookmark this https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=635229367 and refer to it often.

This comment was edited on Sep 13, 2017, 13:12.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer
15. Re: Origin Access Free This Week Sep 11, 2017, 14:29 Fion

{PH}88fingers wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 13:30:
I played co-op with a friend and we got real far but needed the 16 orbs or whatever to continue?? we are missing 1 or some shit, and we have no idea which one we're missing and can't continue.
We tried going over a guide to see which one we're missing but can't pinpoint.
kinda pissed us off tbh

Same thing happened to me, or so I thought. I wasn't actually missing any stones, instead I failed to enter an area I unlocked. That area had an important sequence within it (all the areas in Homestead do) and because I didn't experience it, the game failed to unlock the last area in Homestead. I too thought I had failed to get all the stones and so I used a guide and spent hours going around and picking up every blood stone I had spent, only to realize I had all of them.

Once I realized this, and went into the last place I unlocked, and had that important conversation, the game unlocked the last place, which let me access the source temple. Rather confusing and not at all the first time it had happened to me in the game.

*SPOILERS BELOW*

On the up-side, you didn't miss much. A combat-free puzzle-dungeon that unlocks the Garden where the guardians stood watch over the godbox. There-in a few tough combat encounters and the final boss. Should you beat him the Void dragon goes into the box for eternity and the god that unleashed it in the first place purifies Source so it can be used for good once again. The PCs go on to lead lives (you get to choose in what way) before dying after a long life and going into the annals of history.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer
2. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Combat Trailer Sep 10, 2017, 13:01 Fion

I just finished the first game a few days ago lol. It was a grand adventure, and tuns of fun to play. As to whether this one is the same, it certainly looks to have similar themes, especially in the gameplay... the way elements interact, the focus on strategy in combat and the difficulty of enemies. The original has some very challenging fights, some of which aren't even boss fights. Granted the first game also has it's 'ridiculously OP' boss fights too that require a bit of meta-gaming to beat. Hopefully the sequel works out that difficulty curve a bit better.

The early access is apparently just the first chapter or some-such... a few hours of gameplay. But IMHO the original is well worth the time you put into it. My game was a little over 80 hours long, a bit on the long side I imagine as I tend to do everything, talk to everyone, take it slow.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Sep 9, 2017, 12:56 Fion

Nice to see that The Fractured But Whole is uncut in all regions, but I cant help think this means that the game is a lot less edgy than the last one was. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it might not be a good thing either.  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Sep 1, 2017, 11:54 Fion

If Comcast doesn't want to do it, give the contract to another company that does, and force Comcast to compete with them. That's what the cable industry needs the most, to have competitors.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2017, 11:49 Fion

Correction:

'Labor Day weekend here in the U.S.A., which marks the official end of summer for those of us in New York..

It's in the 50's up here in the finger lakes this morning, with mid-sixties high. In southern california it's gonna be over 100 again still.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Character and CE Unveiled
1. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Character and CE Unveiled Sep 1, 2017, 11:18 Fion

Undead look pretty sweet, though I've no idea as of yet if I'll play one.

Very much looking forward to the game, may pre-order (based solely on my love of the D:oS1), but not likely the CE.

News Comments > Rune: Ragnarok Announced
9. Re: Rune: Ragnarok Announced Aug 29, 2017, 14:11 Fion

The best part of Rune wasn't it's single player experience (which was decent), but it's multiplayer. Well designed arenas with a wide variety of power ups to go after and weapons that each had their own unique attacks and special abilities.

Used to have a blast LAN'ing the game with friends. Our main game at the time was Quake 2, but between that (when some were taking a break or eating) we'd load up Rune and just have a blast.

It wasn't a MP game you played seriously, it was just good, unbalanced fun. Chopping heads off & running from the person with the 2h-sword who was powered up. Flying across the arena, throwing shit at each other. It was just good fun.

News Comments > Overwatch Season 6 Details and Mercy Change Plans
2. Re: Overwatch Season 6 Details and Mercy Change Plans Aug 25, 2017, 13:45 Fion

What did we expect? These are the guys who couldn't balance World of Warcraft in a decade+, even with dramatically scaling back the games complexity.

DPS Mercy is just a symptom of Blizzards 'balance' style. They buff a class/hero to extremes, then nerf them into the ground, then try and find a balance in between. D.va's swinging to heavy DPS when literally six months ago they said she was doing too much damage, another symptom.

As to Symmetra, she still has among the highest damage per second in the game once she's fully charged. Which is insane as she's support.

News Comments > Jurassic World Evolution Announced
5. Re: Jurassic World Evolution Announced Aug 21, 2017, 23:57 Fion

Simulation/management games are really quite popular these days. Being from the guys who've made one of the most popular this year - Planet Coaster - I think there's a very real chance this could be an awesome game.  

News Comments > Civilization VI Summer Patch
2. Re: Civilization VI Summer Patch Jul 31, 2017, 13:31 Fion

Game has improved quite dramatically since it first came out. New Civs are all fantastic, with their own niches & play styles. AI improves with every patch, with the Spring patch improving it greatly. Still has its weak points, but mods are available via Steam Workshop, Nexus and Civfanatics that patch up those holes, like the AI+ mod.

Then there are mods that add other systems from Civ 5, like Production Queue.

But just as Civ 5 was pretty barebones with especially weak AI out the gate, only to be fixed through expansions, Civ 6 has been fixed in this way through seasonal updates.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Trailer
5. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Trailer Jul 29, 2017, 13:11 Fion

I think it's pretty well recognized that events in this game are not cannon, but instead all in good fun.

I'm hoping this game is as good as the original. I'm a little worried that the powers seem even more crazy powerful, because once you got to the point in the game where you could kill piles of the 'fodder' orcs in seconds, it also started to get a touch boring.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 25, 2017, 13:57 Fion

Time to take that little girl on the Cosplay circuit, win a few contests for sure!  

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 24, 2017, 13:16 Fion

So she was live-streaming this on instagram instead of calling 911? Oh the stupidity.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 21, 2017, 14:21 Fion

The storm that hit southern-central New York yesterday was insane. It was the closest I've ever seen to tropical-storm-like weather, win gusts of 50+ miles per hour. There was at least two-major tornado's in western new york as winds broke 100 mph. Where I am in the 'southern tier' of NY winds broke 50 mph.

I love me a good storm and that one was insane.

News Comments > Abandon Ship Kraken Trailer
1. Re: Abandon Ship Kraken Trailer Jul 21, 2017, 13:59 Fion

So this is a an FTL style pirate game? Cool.  

News Comments > Telltale Announces New Batman; The Walking Dead, and The Wolf Among Us Series
5. Re: Telltale Announces New Batman; The Walking Dead, and The Wolf Among Us Series Jul 20, 2017, 11:50 Fion

Well it's about damn time we got a new Wolf Among Us. Season 1 was so good! Walking Dead IMHO is a little played out. I haven't played the Batman game but I understand S1 was really good.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 17, 2017, 12:09 Fion

I sometimes wish the guy would throw his weight behind a problem that exists now.. like Net Neutrality, instead of focusing on something that may be a problem 50 years from now.  

3525 Comments. 177 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo