Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On June 18, 2003
Founding Supporter Bronze, since March 2, 2020
Total Comments 3732 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Darkest Dungeon PvP DLC Announced

3. Re: Darkest Dungeon PvP DLC Announced Apr 5, 2020, 12:01  Fion 

Looks like the PvP DLC will include an entirely different set of heroes - separate from your campaign heroes - that you can build up via PvP instead of going on missions.

I wouldn't get this if I had to wager my campaign heroes in PvP, but considering the circus will have its own heroes, I'll definitely give this a try. Could be really fun.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saints Row: The Third Remastered Revealed

13. Re: Saints Row: The Third Remastered Revealed Apr 5, 2020, 11:56  Fion 

Agree they should be doing Saints Row 2, but I can understand why they are doing 3. It was the most successful one.

SR2 was very jenky and rough around the edges, so I'd love to see a more polished remaster Maybe if the SR3 one is successful we will.

News Comments > DOOM Eternal More Than Doubles DOOM (2016) Player Count

7. Re: DOOM Eternal More Than Doubles DOOM (2016) Player Count Mar 23, 2020, 14:16  Fion 

If there's any one sector of our economy that isn't hurt by a pandemic, it's the at-home entertainment sector. Video games, television, streaming, laptop & PC hardware sales, board games, card games, etc. It's all booming right now.  

News Comments > CD Projekt RED's Plans Detailed

3. Re: CD Projekt RED's Plans Detailed Mar 12, 2020, 12:59  Fion 

Yea she's either talking about cyberpunk (which was in preliminary development at the time) or she's talking about the real world. I'm really hoping that if it was the former, we get a Ciri cameo in Cyberpunk 2077.

Either way it was pretty cool, and funny when Geralt is like 'you're full of shit.'

News Comments > Out of the Blue

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 11, 2020, 13:25  Fion 

For scifi fans looking for something to watch, season 2 of Altered Carbon came out a few weeks ago on netflix and it's awesome. Ends with a big twist that has massive repercussions on season 3.  

News Comments > DOOM Eternal Character Customization

3. Re: DOOM Eternal Character Customization Mar 10, 2020, 14:00  Fion 

Man that music gets me absolutely pumped. Yes even to play a my little pony doom guy!  

News Comments > Steam Top 10

3. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 2, 2020, 11:55  Fion 

I tried Ark over the weekend and found it to be extaordinarily clunky, with a terrible UI and underwhelming build features. I get that it has tuns of content but frankly it feels like a game 10 years older than it is, and still in beta.

I guess Age of Conan ruined it for me, as that game is far more polished and sharp.

News Comments > Baldur’s Gate 3 Press Release

11. Re: Baldur’s Gate 3 Press Release Mar 1, 2020, 12:34  Fion 

So the Origin characters will work much like the in Original Sin 2. It was a fresh, innovative system which gave the game a tun of variety and meaningful choice and conflict. Also cool to see that you can resist the parasite or embrace it and become something powerful and terrible.

These two features alone should lead to a lot of replayability and really change up the game based on not only your character creation choices, but the choises you make in the game itself.

Cant wait!

Edit: FYI folks, the EA is almost certain to follow the format of their previous Original Sin 1/2 EAs and include just the first act. For those who haven't played Original Sin 2, the first act accounts for maybe 15-20% of the game, depending on how much of the content you did (a lot is easy to skip or based on choices made). On top of that, the 1st act didn't spoil the game at all, it mostly set up the premise of the story, give initial ideas of who the Origin characters are, etc.

So while you will spoil a little by doing the EA, you won't by any means spoil the entire game/story. The first act according to the PAX demo, takes place about 100 miles east of Baldur's Gate, so likely you won't even get to see the city.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access This Year

24. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access This Year Feb 23, 2020, 14:04  Fion 

Do note that the EA for Original Sin 2 was just the first act. It was more about getting major bugs and balance changes in, improving the UI, and giving feedback. For those that haven't played (or finished) OS2, that's about 15% of the game. Of course it varies from player to player. Completionists will spend more time there of course.

So I'd expect something similar for BG3.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access This Year

6. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access This Year Feb 22, 2020, 15:38  Fion 

Both Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2 had an early access period, and it made them better games. cRPGs are a niche genre really as it is, and these two games are considered the best released in the last five years or so.

That said, I hardly every buy early access, and I don't plan to here either.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 20, 2020, 12:36  Fion 

celebrated author Ian McEwan dismissed science fiction as the stuff of “anti-gravity boots” rather than “human dilemmas”

Said by a man who very clearly has never read any sci-fi, but wrote his own book to proclaim himself the king of the genre he hates.

Every time these entitled assholes and psychologists say that scifi is about living in a fantasy and dressing up as princess leia to avoid the sad life of entitled layabouts, they are not only insulting 90% of all scientists and engineers, but they are pissing them off.

If not for us scientists and engineers who adore scifi or grew up looking at the stars and dreaming of the possibilities - Mr. Ian McEwan - you'd still be living in the dirt, breaking your back for the aristocracy, without the ability to read, let alone write!

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2020, 12:46.

News Comments > The Witcher TV Series Causes Huge Game Sales Bump

11. Re: The Witcher TV Series Causes Huge Game Sales Bump Feb 17, 2020, 16:59  Fion 

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 17, 2020, 15:05:
Big, good, RPG's... only CD Project is making them. So imo they can take their sweet time to make them perfect. For me that's about the only games that are must-buys.

That's only true if your talking about big AAA first/third person titles. There are several AA companies making fantastic RPGs these days, especially classic style computer RPGs (in the vein of Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale).

News Comments > The Witcher TV Series Causes Huge Game Sales Bump

4. Re: The Witcher TV Series Causes Huge Game Sales Bump Feb 17, 2020, 12:12  Fion 

For anyone considering another playthrough of the Witcher 3, might I recommend the Witcher 3 Enhanced Edition mod (ijust google w3ee). It requires a new save - which is why I recommend it for folks who want to run through the game again, and makes a bunch of changes and improvements. It removes the level system, so you can go anywhere in the game at any time and never worry about outstripping the story content. The primary armor & damage stats are normalized, so if you find a really cool set of armor early on, it's still viable late-game, though not quite as good. Also you can go anywhere once you unlock the area. Want to skip Novagrad cause you've played through it a dozen times? Take a ship to Skelliga as soon as you get there.

The game has it's own options system with heaps of customization. Don't like the games sluggish combat animations or how aiming works? You can completely alter it to fit your experience. The game is also much more challenging, even on easier difficulty you must prepare for big fights and fight tactically to survive. (So much so I recommend setting your health in the new options to double normal while in white orchard, or until you get used to how deep the combat is in the mod).

Alchemy is largely reworked, as is healing. No longer can you just go into your inventory and eat a bunch of food for quick healing over time. Even the best healing potions still take a minute or two to get you back to full from nearly dead. Toxicity is deadly now too, so putting points into alchemy are very useful. Speaking of that, skills are largely reworked. You now can use any you unlock and choices are much more impactful.

The entire mutagen system has been reworked. Instead of just four generic ones, each monster has their own mutagen with a specific benefit, more powerful monsters of the same kind grant slightly better bonuses. There are tuns of bonuses now so you can customize your character even more, and you can combine mutagens from the same monster group to get even more powerful benefits. The whole crafting system has been enhanced and overhauled. You no longer craft a potion/bomb/oil once and have them refilled by meditation, you need to craft them each time you use them. For this reason there are far more materials, monster nests are now a smorgasbord of powerful parts. In fact when crafting a potion, bomb or oil, the the quality of the stuff you make depends on the quality of the ingredients you use. You could use a rare monster part for a healing potion to make it way better, but that part may also be used to craft a piece of gear you want, so you have to make a choice there lol.

The mod adds an injury system to the game, changes weapon stats, potions & how runes work to help you exploit the system, making them overall substantially more useful while giving a wider breadth of options on how you approach combat.

One of the cooler mechanics IMHO is how Relics are handled now. Instead of random drops that are usually good but not as good as the crafted stuff you are already wearing, Now, there is only one of each relic in the game, and you need a master craftsman to restore each one to their former state - for a hefty fee. Each relic is of high quality, has a unique skin and has traits that aren't usually found on other gear, often at a trade-off. One might have middling damage but substantially boost signs.

For example I am playing through a game with a heavy-armor/heavy attack bomb-intensive build where I parry instead of dodge most of the time. So I'm using the relic Headhunter, which does very solid damage and gives bonuses to offensive stamina (heavy attacks/gear uses more stamina), a huge bonus to injury chance and restores stamina on dismemberment. You can set the mod to make finishing moves non-automatic, so you can set up your own moves.. and I generally try to dismember to get that sweet sweet stamina regen.

This comment was edited on Feb 17, 2020, 13:12.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 10, 2020, 12:09  Fion 

I have a feeling they'll end up playing in other SE Asian countries. But yea, it's rough.  

News Comments > Torchlight Frontiers Becomes Torchlight III; No Longer F2P

8. Re: Torchlight Frontiers Becomes Torchlight III; No Longer F2P Jan 27, 2020, 15:07  Fion 

I had a lot of fun playing through TL1 & 2 with friends. Both were very enjoyable titles. So I'm looking forward to 3 and more than happy to hear they are dropping the 'freemium' model.  

News Comments > Evening Metaverse

1. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 25, 2020, 13:14  Fion 

You read it here first. Diablo 4 and Overwatch 2 are Stadia exclusives.  

News Comments > On the 2019 PC Content Spending Downturn

34. Re: On the 2019 PC Content Spending Downturn Jan 25, 2020, 13:08  Fion 

Yes blame stupid consumers and their confusion, not Epic for starting the problem in the first place.

Fucking idiots.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

1. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 23, 2020, 11:43  Fion 

NY shouldn't have a problem (I'm in NY), because these big corporate welfare givaways are always just pocketed by the broadband industry who make big promises and never deliver.

This time won't be any different.

News Comments > NVIDIA Hotfix Driver

4. Re: NVIDIA Hotfix Driver Jan 18, 2020, 14:55  Fion 

How amazing is it that nVidia has to release a driver hotfix to repair a bug for a game released almost 6 years ago? CD Projekt Red must be overjoyed that Netflix's hit Witcher series has lead to a lot of new sales of the game. Not to mention, as one of the many people re-playing the game after watching the series, good on nVidia for fixing that oddly specific and old bug.  

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed

2. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 16, 2020, 20:34  Fion 

NOOOO!

Well, if it means a better game so be it. But damn that hurts.

3732 Comments. 187 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >