Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3618 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr Announced
4. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online: Elsweyr Announced Jan 16, 2019, 13:44 Fion

I haven't played ESO in about a year, but this may draw me back. I've been a Khajiit main since Morrowind, and have always wanted to explore Elsweyr.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EVGA NU Audio Card Announced
2. Re: EVGA NU Audio Card Announced Jan 9, 2019, 11:23 Fion

The Aureal Vortex 2 of the late 90's. I won so many quake 3 games off the back of that sound card. I had friends with expensive Sound Blasters who thought I had some cheap no-name card. Then I'd get the weirdest kills without even seeing the other player, because I could hear where they were in the map exactly.

These days I almost always have a sound card in my system. On-board sound is decent for most folks, but nothing compared to a good Asus XONAR.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 11, 2018, 13:51 Fion

On the red meat causing heart disease, I wonder if it's something about how that meat is raised and fed, or how it is cut. I ask because red meat has been a large part of the human diet for two hundred plus thousand years, and heart disease has only really become a thing in the last century or so, especially in the last 50.

News Comments > CDPR Aims for RDR2 Refinement in Cyberpunk 2077
4. Re: CDPR Aims for RDR2 Refinement in Cyberpunk 2077 Nov 24, 2018, 14:47 Fion

RDR2 is great, but not without some painfully frustrating issues. First the story is a serious downer. Now it wasn't expected to be a peaceful journey, it's a prequel and a western at that. But damnit, shit just goes from bad to worse. The ending also sucks.

The are some seriously annoying issues with animation. The 'realistic looting' where you have to take loot one piece at a time, waiting for a long animation to complete before you can take the next piece. It's a pain an hour into the game, it's a chore six hours in, it's something you completely avoid unless absolutely necessary 12 hours in. Arthur's movement is slow and clunky. Just trying to get on his horse can be an ordeal. Ok, turn around, now.... Nope, to far forward. Nope, just punched that guy in the face instead.

Also the travel system. The map is of course huge, but getting around is an extreme pain in the ass (especially for folks like me who avoid fast travel for RP/immersion reasons). You should be able to take a train or carriage from one place to another. Sure you can go into a cinematic mode and don't have to be controlling your horse, but you still have to sit 10+ minutes while you wait for it to return to camp, etc.

The controller layout & UI are also tiresome and just a pain in the ass. Sure scrolling through a catalog at the general store is really cool at first, but a real pain in the ass the 50th time you've had to scroll page after page after page. The controller layout is terrible (though it was pretty bad in the first one too). The inventory system is an ungodly mess.

I don't mean that these things take away how awesome the game is in other ways, how much attention to detail there is. But the above problems hold it back from perfection. The 97% shows that as usual, the media bought into the hype so much, they heaped on perfect scores when in reality, this game is not perfect. It's amazing, it's astounding in some ways, but it's not perfect. Same with Witcher 3.

This comment was edited on Nov 24, 2018, 14:58.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 14, 2018, 11:37 Fion

yet another reason, Mr. Tact, why I prefer to live in a small town. :p  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
4. Re: Morning Mobilization Nov 12, 2018, 12:22 Fion

Just $30 a month with a 5 year contract at 150% interest!

And you know apple is just waiting to set their prices even higher. They love to appear superior while charging a higher price for their older tech.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Nov 12, 2018, 12:19 Fion

You know we're entering a new guilded age when 'we were obviously lying' becomes a legitimate legal defense for corporations to avoid liability to their own shareholders.  

News Comments > MS Acquires Obsidian and inXile
3. Re: MS Acquires Obsidian and inXile Nov 11, 2018, 13:34 Fion

I'm not sure what M$ is thinking here, Obsidian pretty exclusively makes cRPGs, a genre that has never done well on consoles.

Still.. sucks. Not every game of theirs was a success, but Obsidian (and many of it's developers) have been involved in making some of the best RPGs in gaming history.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 8, 2018, 13:07 Fion

Having never read the Altered Carbon novels, I adore the show.  

News Comments > Blizzard Denies Pulling Diablo 4 Tease
9. Re: Blizzard Denies Pulling Diablo 4 Tease Nov 6, 2018, 16:20 Fion

One youtuber I watch compared it thus:

It's as if Bethesda said weeks before E3 they had a big announcement, and some news site says their 'sources' have revealed it's probably TES 6!

Then E3 comes out and they don't say ANYTHING during their entire conference until the very end. 'Elder Scrolls' appears on the screen and the lead dev comes out. Instead of announcing TES 6, he announces a 3rd party mobile app that is basically a reskin of an existing - micro-transactions-filled - mobile game.

Would people call gamer's toxic for getting pissed off at that? No! But it's toxicity when golden-boy Blizzard does the same thing? Bullshit!

Diablo may not have the following of Elder Scroll games, but it's fans are just as passionate. Waiting till the end of the opening ceremony to announce a reskinned, 3rd party mobile game after weeks of hype is a slap in the face.

News Comments > Just Cause 4 Panoramic Trailer
3. Re: Just Cause 4 Panoramic Trailer Oct 26, 2018, 11:45 Fion

Yea JC3 got old quick as it was pretty samy everywhere. Also you could find the best jets very early on and the enemy never got so mad at you that they'd send shit like that out to kill you.

Explosions were great though. Wingsuit was a fun new addition, as was the ability to string things together with the grapnel. Hopefully this time the biomes are more disperate between large areas, the driving mechanics need a major upgrade, and the military needs to send jets and shit out after you once you piss them off enough. I want to dogfight in endgame!

News Comments > Star Citizen Physics Trailer
11. Re: Star Citizen Physics Trailer Oct 19, 2018, 12:18 Fion

lol it pauses for several seconds while the engine crunches all that information of a tarp falling onto a basic ship with a flat background.

Ooooh, aaah, realistic cloth physics on characters. That was interesting a decade ago when PhysX was just coming out, now every other developer just uses whichever physics package they like the most and moves on to more important things, like making the game!

I'm so glad I didn't waste any money on this garbage.

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition Launches
6. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Definitive Edition Launches Aug 31, 2018, 11:36 Fion

Old saves are incompatible? That kinda sucks.

That said I didn't get very far, I kinda lost interest once I got to Reaper's Coast. Maybe starting over to refresh the game in my mind is what I need.

News Comments > The Lord of the Rings: Living Card Game Early Access
2. Re: The Lord of the Rings: Living Card Game Early Access Aug 28, 2018, 22:37 Fion

Yea the actual card game is really fun and thematic. Looking forward to see what they do with this one. But I doubt I'll pick it up i nearly access  

News Comments > July U.S. Sales Charts
1. Re: July U.S. Sales Charts Aug 24, 2018, 11:17 Fion

Wow, I knew the Switch was successful, but it's pretty dominant this month. I got mine like a year ago. Mario Tennis Aces is pretty 'meh' as far as I've seen. Octopath Travceler is probably the best JRPG in years, a genre I haven't really been interested in since JRPG's became basically one long trailer.  

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 6, 2018, 12:58 Fion

For those who dislike the UI or how long things can take, check out the no man's sky nexus. There are mods that fix a lot of the UI issues.  

News Comments > Star Citizen Ground Battle Video
9. Re: Star Citizen Ground Battle Video Aug 3, 2018, 13:27 Fion

How can the engine be this bad all these years later? I saw texture pop-in on models, rubber-banding movement, and above all a barely playable framerate with just a few dozen characters on screen or a few dozen ships in space.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2018, 13:55 Fion

Yea it finally cooled off Blue and lots of rain in the near future for NY, but we've needed it. It barely rained at all in June or now July.

Besides, who doesn't love a big window-rattling thunder storms?

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Demo
3. Re: Middle-earth: Shadow of War Demo Jul 19, 2018, 14:34 Fion

Yikes that's as big as the full game.

I do too Alamar. The monotization and other issues held me back in the game but it was really fun. I didn't get far enough to experience having a keep and invasions, and training up orcs, etc.

News Comments > Star Citizen Refund Refusals
2. Re: Star Citizen Refund Refusals Jul 15, 2018, 13:19 Fion

IDK about bridges, that'd overload an already stressed engine. I mean did you see the last demo about articulated hand on the low-poly character in the texture-less boxy hallway? Ran at like 15 fps.

3618 Comments. 181 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo