Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Fion McCumal

Real Name Fion McCumal   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Fion
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 18, 2003, 22:23
Total Comments 3546 (Veteran)
User ID 17499

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 15, 2018, 11:46 Fion

I really can't stand most 'hot people hospital' shows, let alone 'hot people cops' or 'hot people lawyers' shows. Granted, I also hate reality TV, so that makes about 9/10ths of all US television outside my interests.

As to the harvard study, I feel that now that net neutrality is basically dead (for now), community broadband is our best alternative. That is if the FCC and cable companies don't kill it too.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 12, 2018, 13:59 Fion

Yea, I'm sure when they get more in - around april - the price will be $250. When people bitch, the answer will be 'oh, that price point was a temporary sale, that ended in March.'  

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 9, 2018, 14:10 Fion

I don't use my smart phone very much on purpose. I don't participate in social media because of these issues, and my dislike of how much they track you, listen to your conversations, etc.  

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 24, 2017, 13:35 Fion

I cut the cord for two reasons:

1. To save money. I was paying $200 a month for phone, (basic) TV & 25mbps internet. Now I pay ~100 a month for 100mbps internet (thanks Spectrum) + Netflix, Hulu & HBO Now. Amazon too but their media offerings are generally shite.

2. I was sick to high heaven of commercials.

These days I do get a few commercials, mostly from the free 'The CW' app (gotta watch my Arrowverse!) and a news app on my TV that has a commercial here or there.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2017, 13:50 Fion

Why the International Space Station is the Single Best Thing Humanity Did

Ah... w.i.r.e.d., don't you mean 'has done'? We're not done yet!

News Comments > Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway
29. Re: Steam Winter Sale and Steam Awards Underway Dec 22, 2017, 11:10 Fion

There's mods that can partially replace the horrible multiplayer. The game is old enough now that once you finish the main game, there are tuns of mods that add new life. There are mods that add tuns of crazy races all over the map (some even let you create your own). There are mods that add a lot of the online-only missions to single-player. There are mods that add new forms of gameplay, like playing as a cop - or a mod that adds gang hideouts to hit and plunder. There's a mod that sends army jets after you with 5-stars so you can dog-fight them. There's a trucking mod, railroad engineer (or destruction), on and on.

Anyway, TLDR - tuns of mods that extend the single player experience, even adding MP content to single player. Mods are finicky to install and you can usually only have one of the 'big ones' installed at a time, but man I got hundreds of hours out of the game post-story mode because of em. Mostly because Rockstar are assholes about mods.

Hey Undocumented Alien, a single tip: mid-late way into the game while playing as Franklin, if you see a big L on the map, representing a mission from Lester (you'll meet him early in the game), don't do that mission. Wait until you finish the game to start his missions on Franklin. Then look online for how to make mega-bucks with those missions. But of a pain in the ass but also the difference between finishing SP with 2-3 million or 1/2 a billion in cash.

News Comments > EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II
20. Re: EA Still Wants Microtransactions in Star Wars Battlefront II Nov 29, 2017, 12:34 Fion

Before you go steepling your fingers EA with the monetary possibilities EA, maybe you should make the game actually playable in Multiplayer.

After all, loot boxes & DLC won't sell for shit if 95% of your players have already uninstalled because of lag, rubberbanding, and worse.

News Comments > Star Citizen Land Rush
18. Re: Star Citizen Land Rush Nov 29, 2017, 12:21 Fion

This is like a textbook case of the Sunk Cost Fallacy. That is... continuing to sink money/time/energy into a project as a result of ones emotional connection to it, instead of any actual rational decision making.

E.g. the classic 'well I've already spent $100 on this, what's another $20?'.

We've all fallen for this, and the gaming industry takes full advantage of it. It's why there's a Collectors Edition of games, followed by 'discounts' on things like in-game currencies or other upgrades, just before launch.

Right now thousands of people who've spent hundreds already to get a head start in a game that isn't probably ever coming out, and seriously considering sinking even more money into the game. Between discounts for those who've already spent a lot of money (playing right into this fallacy) and everyone rationalizing 'I've already put hundreds into this game, what's another $50?'

And for the record it's not stupidity, it's companies taking advantage of how the human brain works, and how to circumvent peoples rationalism.

News Comments > Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well
1. Re: Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice Selling Well Nov 22, 2017, 11:43 Fion

I've been hearing so much positive buzz about this game, even though initially disinterested, that I picked this up at 25% off on GOG's black friday (week) sale, final price: $22.50.

So if anyone is interested in maybe picking this up after hearing similar buzz, that's a pretty deep discount for a game that came out mere months ago at $60.

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed
12. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 13:18 Fion

I made a handful of very popular 'adventure modules' for NWN, and one for NWN2. I tried to find them a few years ago to replay them but they've effectively been absorbed into the black hole at the center of the internet.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 2, 2017, 14:51 Fion

I already get 4k netflix over my $100 Roku Pro. Oh and 4k youtube & 4k hulu & 4k hbo.

So no thanks comcast. I'm not gonna rent your bulky, slow, piece of crap cable box just to get what I already have.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Nov 1, 2017, 13:49 Fion

Sounds like a boring game to me. IMHO games have largely become too easy in the last decade or more. I'm not asking for the high difficulty and frequent deaths of early games - which were designed that way to bring in more quarters - but I enjoy games most if they provide a challenge. Some of my favorite games in recent years have been the Dark Souls series, for this reason.

For the record, since the article talks about the difficulty of Doom and using cheats to make it easier. I wasn't 7 when doom came out, more like 17. But I beat Doom on Nightmare, without cheats. Why? For the challenge, and the bragging rights among friends.

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 29, 2017, 13:51 Fion

Bill Gates gets passed every few years by someone. But then he ends up on top again somehow.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 14:09 Fion

NOAA Predicts Its Third Warm Winter in a Row

That'd be nice, here in the north east we've been dealing with arctic vortexes and such the last few years.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
1. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 22, 2017, 15:13 Fion

Fractured But Whole has a slow start, and I was initially disappointed with it. The first few hours were a handful of little missions mixed with boring 'achievement' style side-quests. E.g. 'kill 20 6th graders' or 'find all 10 craig & tweek Yaoi posters'. The laughs were far and few between and the tone of the game just wasn't there.

I pushed through this initial disappointment and I'm glad I did, because around the time you unlock your second 'super-powered' class the game comes into its own as the narrative kicks in, and the laughs never stop. Sure there are still those mostly-pointless side-quests but they are easily achieved just by exploring the world and getting up too all kinds of crazy no good, from beating up strippers, to learning to stop time with your farts.

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Reviews
7. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Reviews Oct 16, 2017, 14:30 Fion

I got a great deal on the game so I pre-ordered. It being ubi I was nervous but reviews seem positive. Some of the negative reviews seem to be PC stuck on their PC bullshit and don't understand or 'get' satire.

Unfortunate it's not Obsidian making it but I hope Ubi does good. Can't wait to load the game up tomorrow.

News Comments > South Park: The Fractured But Whole Season Pass Details
6. Re: South Park: The Fractured But Whole Season Pass Details Oct 14, 2017, 13:08 Fion

'Rough around the edges' is Obsidians calling card. Their games are always that way (at least at first), but also tend to be extremely good RPGs, and man Stick of Truth was!

Selling pieces of the game as post-launch content that's actually embedded in the game at launch - Ubisoft's calling card.

News Comments > Middle-earth: Shadow of War Released
17. Re: Console FoV Oct 10, 2017, 12:53 Fion

I really dislike the idea of loot boxes in a single player game. That said, it isn't going to stop me from buying a game that by all reviews is even more fun than the first. I'll just utterly avoid buying any boxes. I'd rather play the game to unlock the cooler orcs and gear. If the gameplay is awesome, I doubt I'll mind that it takes me a little bit longer.

As to the FPS, 60 isn't as bad in a 3rd person game, but still not great. I'm sure the community will offer a fix soon enough. Besides that it's never been a 'make or break' kind of thing for me. A lot of games don't include FPS sliders.

News Comments > Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode
13. Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Oct 4, 2017, 13:59 Fion

IMHO Survival Mode is fine for console users, and for some may even be worth that $10 price tag. It's important to note that you cannot adjust any features, just turn them on or off.

With PC on the other hand, you can get the same features with much more depth and customization with a handful of popular mods. Frostfall + Camping + Wet & Cold + Realistic Needs and Diseases. Add in more dynamic or impressive weather? Choose from Vivid Weathers, Climates of Tamriel or True Storms. Each brings something new to the table.

There you have it, five free mods that do what Survival Mode does and so much... much more. These are all part of my 'must have' mods list, and I have them activated on almost every single playthrough.

As to the Creation Club, I'm going to keep a 'wait and see' attitude. If DLC quality & size content comes out at a reasonable price I may well purchase it. But if it's just going to be asking me to pay for new gameplay that I already have with mods (and those mods do it better), I won't ever touch it.

I see it doing great on like the PS4, which has very limiting rules placed on any mods added to the platform.

News Comments > Skyrim Special Edition Adding Survival Mode
15. Re: Skyrim Special Edition Adding Survival Mode Sep 28, 2017, 12:49 Fion

So, basically survival mode just pre-installs Frostfall? If that's the case, I've been playing on survival mode for years now, as Frostfall is one of the first mods I install lol.

On the topic of SKSE & SkyUI, I can't wait for the SkyUI 5.0. There are some UI mods out there but they aren't really that great in comparison. I play exclusively on Skyrim SE these days because it essentially has a pre-installed ENB and 4k texture pack, and the 64bit engine is significantly more stable than the original.

Now that SKSE & SkyUI are in alpha, and modders are really testing it, I think it's likely we'll see stable beta's for both pretty quickly.

3546 Comments. 178 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo