Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for 1badmf

Real Name 1badmf   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2003, 12:00
Total Comments 1429 (Pro)
User ID 17347

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Fox of 9 tails Feb 3, 2017, 19:16 1badmf

BobBob wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 16:06:
For travel, I prefer to take my trusty Dell Inspiron 11 3147, but compared to the HP Envy x360, it feels really sluggish when loading programs.

Which would be a better upgrade:

A) Swap HD to SSD

B) Upgrade RAM 4 to 8 gigs

i would say do both if you can at all do so. both really suck for fast loading. SSDs are a godsend for loading programs. if it runs fine after it loads then yeah, it was a slow hdd. if it's still sluggish after it loads? you're hitting your ram limit.

ctrl-alt-del to open your task manager and see your cpu and memory usage in real time. really, all that climate elitism and you didn't know about task manager?!?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Free X-COM: UFO Defense
1. Re: Free X-COM: UFO Defense Jan 30, 2017, 22:07 1badmf

still one of the best games ever made, even accounting for age. better than the updated xcoms even.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 30, 2017, 05:12 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 23:04:
1badmf wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 19:32:
BobBob wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 17:53:
Thoughts on this weekend's travel bans and protests? Will it continue or get thrown out by the higher courts?

it's pretty clearly unconstitutional - ignores due process, violates first amendment among other things. not that trump cares about it, his majesty will use executive orders like royal decrees and clog the courts up for years when most of them turn out to be gross violations. but as long as he gets to shout from the ultimate rooftop like the ultimate lunatic he's happy.

Unfortunately, it's probably covered under the border search exception.

the exception only covers searches. doesn't at all address the blatant violation of religious freedom, nor the blanket extra-judicious denial of entry for people who legally have a right to be here.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2017, 22:09 1badmf

the irrationality of post 9/11 is slowly being clawed back one lawsuit at a time. we're not where i'd like us to be, but the police state isn't as bad as it was 10 years ago. our checks and balances are working -slowly- as intended so we shouldn't just throw up our hands and welcome our illuminati overlords just yet.

the patriot act was revised and will hopefully be revised again, or even allowed to sunset finally. trump's executive orders are harming a lot of people and will have much shorter life spans because of the press they're getting and because they're not secret. and this isn't just 'pause'. pause for 90 days can and will do a lot of harm esp since his order sweeps up people who have a right to be here including people with valid visas and even naturalized citizens. it's already been stayed by three judges and will likely be fastracked by the supreme court since it's such a hot button issue harming people by the second.

helf - i prefer edward R murrow's thoughts about mccarthyism which seem more apt than ever with trump in office:

"We proclaim ourselves, as indeed we are, the defenders of freedom, wherever it continues to exist in the world, but we cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.

The actions of the junior Senator from Wisconsin have caused alarm and dismay amongst our allies abroad, and given considerable comfort to our enemies. And whose fault is that? Not really his. He didn't create this situation of fear; he merely exploited it—and rather successfully.

Cassius was right. "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves." Good night, and good luck."

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 29, 2017, 19:32 1badmf

BobBob wrote on Jan 29, 2017, 17:53:
Thoughts on this weekend's travel bans and protests? Will it continue or get thrown out by the higher courts?

it's pretty clearly unconstitutional - ignores due process, violates first amendment among other things. not that trump cares about it, his majesty will use executive orders like royal decrees and clog the courts up for years when most of them turn out to be gross violations. but as long as he gets to shout from the ultimate rooftop like the ultimate lunatic he's happy.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 15, 2017, 19:32 1badmf

Pigeon wrote on Jan 15, 2017, 12:53:
Congratulations to the Falcons for winning the battle of the raptors. I only saw parts of the game, but I did see the Seahawks essentially give Atlanta a safety. The defense punished mistakes and the offense capitalized on it.

As for my Texans, well not unexpected. A bit frustrating to watch your defense play so well only to watch an impotent offense undo all their hard work. Brady threw some stinkers for sure, but it's probably because he could feel Clowney and Merciless' breath on his neck. While I'm excited to think what adding a healthy Watt back to that mix will do next year, it won't do much with Brock and his receiving crew's complete lack of chemistry.

i thought it was amazing how deandre hopkins went from 1500yd receiver with... who? as qb? to merely mortal with a supposedly better one. they have a really talented offense at every position except qb. if aaron rodgers, or hell, even kirk cousins had that offense, they would torch the league.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2017, 09:51 1badmf

hah i thought the same about the smashing pumpkins' mayonaise. i thought i was so cool for thinking their best song was this obscure piece never released as a single on one of their first albums. then rolling stone did a fan poll of the best pumpkins songs and guess which one came out on top by a wiiiiide margin -_-  

13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2017, 17:31 1badmf

does anybody get this weird behavior on the site where when you first try to click on ootb links they all jump to the left for no apparent reason? its been doing this to me for a couple days. not a deal breaker; they don't move after the first click, but weird nonetheless.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 9, 2017, 17:28 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Jan 9, 2017, 16:28:
|RaptoR| wrote on Jan 9, 2017, 10:37:
More on the star collision:

http://www.calvin.edu/academic/phys/observatory/MergingStar/MolnarEtAl2017.pdf
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KIC_9832227

5 years from now we should be able to see a red nova in the sky without assistance of two stars colliding 1800 years ago. That is awesome

*jdreyer starts vegan diet to help ensure he doesn't die before then*

i'll be surprised if it comes true. predicting novas? when we can't even predict earthquakes? but i hope i'm wrong. i bought a $700 telescope setup just for occasions like this =D

5. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2017, 17:23 1badmf

lockheed skunkworks is in pasadena. area 51 is in nevada. what kinda secret base could they have in atlanta. are you sure it wasn't just some redneck barbecue gone horribly wrong?  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2017, 00:10 1badmf

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 17:54:
jacobvandy wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 17:29:
Uh, no, Mon Mothma was not CGI, lol. The actress' name is Genevieve O’Reilly, and it's actually the second time she's played the character. She appeared in a scene that was cut from Episode 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBGJTiyvd90

Whaaaaaat. Hrm now I have to go back and watch Episode 4/5/6 again, I swear they just CGI'd her. haha!

uh... what does rogue one mon mothma have to do with 4/5/6? she was only in return of the jedi as i recall.

they really shoulda done the same thing with tarkin though. he had so much screen time his fake appearance became distracting. and the actor they got to play his body looks like him and is a good actor anyway. leia had such a short appearance her CGI is whatevs, but tarkin shoulda been a replacement actor.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 5, 2017, 17:37 1badmf

at a closed doors preview event in december, it was running doom at 60fps/4k if that's any indication.  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2017, 04:54 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 04:05:
1badmf wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 00:52:
Creston wrote on Jan 3, 2017, 12:35:
Microsoft may unveil Scorpio, but other than that I can't really think of anything "big" that's still in the works.

AMD's vega GPU. been waiting for that bitch for over a year. 8 gigs of HBM2 will be a game changer.

With AMD, it's always taken with a grain of salt. Remember Bulldozer? Yeah, no one else does either.

with AMD CPUs sure. but this is the old ATI we're talking about; they were always competitive with nvidia. with their latest offerings they've taken back a lot of market share with superior performance/money. vega looks like it'll be on par with the 1080ti while being somewhat cheaper.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 4, 2017, 00:52 1badmf

Creston wrote on Jan 3, 2017, 12:35:
Microsoft may unveil Scorpio, but other than that I can't really think of anything "big" that's still in the works.

AMD's vega GPU. been waiting for that bitch for over a year. 8 gigs of HBM2 will be a game changer.

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Trailer Next Week
13. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Trailer Next Week Dec 30, 2016, 19:27 1badmf

Drayth wrote on Dec 30, 2016, 18:54:
Fantaz wrote on Dec 30, 2016, 15:26:
i saw an HDR game on an HDR TV... the blacks are so good, it's like the TV looks as if it's completely turned off on the parts of the screen that are black.

Not just HDR; sounds like you saw an OLED screen.

yeah HDR isn't gonna fix shitty black levels. fyi that's how OLED works - each pixel is its own light source. no constantly on backlight to bleed through, so when it's off, it's truly giving off no light. so yeah, probably he saw an OLED screen.

23. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2016, 17:48 1badmf

Steelcamp wrote on Dec 29, 2016, 14:09:
M16A1 service rifle...check
Set to auto...check
Incredibly hot Carrie Fisher...check ++++
May her and her beautiful mother rest in piece

shooting way more than 20 rounds without reloading... check XD

News Comments > Into the Black
14. Re: Into the Black Dec 28, 2016, 00:48 1badmf

i knew the baby boomers were gonna keel over in a bunch, but all in one year? goddamn.  

41. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 27, 2016, 18:57 1badmf

SlimRam wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 13:57:
Quboid wrote on Dec 27, 2016, 13:03:
Carrie Fisher has died aged 60. RIP
Unbelievable year it has been. I was told a long time ago to never say it couldn't get any worse because it always can but in this particular year's case...

Sleep now in the light, Princess

In life and on screen, a fearless fighter. I loved strong women because of you. I hope you found the peace life seemed to deny you, rebel princess.

9. Re: spinning news, spinning wheels Dec 26, 2016, 20:01 1badmf

The Half Elf wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 18:43:
Working my way through Mr Robot Season 2. Holy shit what an amazing series. Really loved to find out the creative process for writing it all out.

As for the items stuck in the rectum.... fucking amateur's.

literally, amateurs at fucking. amirite?!?

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 23, 2016, 13:28 1badmf

RedEye9 wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 12:53:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 23, 2016, 12:48:
K, y'all. Serious question:

What's your favorite Christmas movie?

I'm a bit partial to Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas myself.
Bad Santa, Die Hard, A Christmas Story, Krampus and It's A Wonderful Life.

ah, i've nearly forgotten my yearly viewing of The Lion in Winter!

1429 Comments. 72 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo