Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for 1badmf

Real Name 1badmf   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2003, 12:00
Total Comments 1500 (Pro)
User ID 17347

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 23:36 1badmf

Creston wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 22:33:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 15:11:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 15:02:
How to steer a spacecraft into Saturn

I can't wait to see these pics. Incredible.

It's not going to get far. The pressurized hydrogen is going to crush it like a grape within mere seconds of entry.

It depends on what you consider "entry." If you're talking about the absolute edge of the clouds, then no, since they're essentially just whisps. The pressure doesn't start until deeper in, and it's going to take Cassini a little while to get down there. But yeah, once the pressure builds, it's not going to last very long.

Quite frankly, I don't think we'll get much, if any, pics from within the cloud parts. It'll be too dark and too much interference for the signal to get back, but hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

i hope it can take a video. would love to see first person view of falling into the cloud tops of a gas giant as its rings glitter in the dark off the planet's shoulder.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2017, 18:24 1badmf

Blue wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 16:40:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 14:23:
Blue wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:08:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:00:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 12:46:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 12:38:
For parts of Florida, Hurricane Irma offers a worst-case scenario.

But hey, global warming is a hoax, so I'm gonna keep rollin' coal in my Hummer.
The good thing about global warming is that NOAA will have to add extra categories to the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.
5 ain't cutting it anymore.

There are practical reasons to do so. Buildings rated for cat-5 hurricanes that were built to withstand 185 mph winds were demolished by the 240 mph (!) gusts of Irma.

?

I'm guessing KPH and MPH got crossed to get that 240 total. 240 KPH = 150 MPH.

Not a metric convusion error, but not 240 either. It was 225 mph from this story.

With a tightly defined eye, high maximum winds and gusts of up to 195 knots or 225 mph Irma has left weather forecasters flabbergasted.

That's the only such reference I can find. Everywhere else seems to agree on 185 MPH.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-extremes-records

185 sustained winds. if there were a cat6 definition this would've been it. gusts are always much higher so 225 seems reasonable.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2017, 00:25 1badmf

LaxerFL wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 23:42:
I live in South West Florida and we are in the center of the "cone"! Pretty much, whichever model this storm follows I am SOL. So, tomorrow, we are packing up the 2 dogs and whatever clothes and whatnot we can, and hitting the road. We have family in New Jersey so I think we will shoot for there. I'd rather drive more than try to find a hotel/motel room for 2 adults, 1 kid, and 2 80+lbs dogs!

Wish us luck! I'm hoping by leaving a few days early we can avoid any major traffic issues getting out of this god forsaken state!
Lax

you might wanna go somewhere further west. there's a chance this thing just rips up the entire eastern seaboard.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2017, 18:46 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 14:04:
fishingtime wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 12:12:
Antidepressants found in fish brains in Great Lakes region.

So Alex Jones was right again?

Um, it's been known for a couple decades that drugs have been entering the water supply via sewage treatment and other means. Here's an article from 2008, for example.

You need to consume a better variety of media.

And for those of you who want a good laugh, John Oliver gave Alex Jones the treatment a couple of weeks ago.

that segment really exposed jones as nothing but a snake oil salesman scamming the idiot right wingers. it's really somewhat brilliant - he feeds and confirms their paranoia and they're 'supporting' the cause by buying his products. i had no idea he sold his own line of household goods until oliver's segment. apparently the products are his primary business, but no one bought them until he started spewing the conspiracy theory bullshit. i'm pretty sure he doesn't believe what he's spewing, he's just happy to take their money. 21st century version of a faith healer/televangelist.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2017, 18:24 1badmf

what's that samsung dohicky in the middle of your desK?  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2017, 18:21 1badmf

Hoop wrote on Aug 26, 2017, 17:43:
I had no idea that the Air Canada plane only cleared the stacked aircraft on the ground by just 69 feet. WTF
The only thing that betrays any kind of panic is the clipped speed of air traffic controls "Air Canada go around"
Kind of surreal how the pilot's voice stays in character as he powers on with no time to spare.
Even though his response is calm you can hear the I'am so fucked filling his head.
Mistakes on both sides but that Air Canada crew needs to be assigned new jobs loading planes not flying them.

that is a fucking frightening story. holy shit. based on everything i've read i don't see how ATC is at fault. it was on the pilots for ignoring the broadcast that 28L was off, as well as for some unfathomable reason not realizing that blue taxiway lights are not white runway lights. read the wiki in air canada 759 it has a few more facts.

if ever you could hear someone dropping a massive shit in the sound of the voice, ATC's 'i saw that guys' was it.

18. Re: removed Aug 24, 2017, 23:43 1badmf

Blue wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 20:08:
Cutter wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 19:17:
* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 24, 2017, 20:08.

It's getting old Cuts.

O.o the mountain came to mohamed

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 23, 2017, 16:40 1badmf

PHJF wrote on Aug 23, 2017, 12:34:
Here's my boy we adopted from a foster back in May this year. He was about a year at the time.

WHO'S A GOOD DOGGIE?!??!

give him a few head scratches for me will ya?

10. Re: Eclipse Aug 19, 2017, 19:46 1badmf

MeanJim wrote on Aug 19, 2017, 17:30:
Anyone going to view the total eclipse? Where I live we'll only be getting 83%, but I was toying with the idea of driving to one of a couple of locations where it will be 100%. Both are the same distance and time to drive, but I'd have to leave at 4am and hope traffic isn't bad, leave even earlier to plan for traffic or just drive there Sunday and stay in a hotel.

I kind of want to see it since the path of totality isn't too far from me, but I also don't really want to spend 14+ hours on the road to see 2 minutes of a total eclipse, even if it is a once in a life time event.

do it man. i don't live near the path of totality or i would. hell i considered making a trip up to my friend's place in seattle and driving down to oregon.

for everyone else, here is a web app to calculate the time of eclipse maximum for your location:

http://www.precisioneclipse.com/

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 18, 2017, 23:41 1badmf

Retired wrote on Aug 18, 2017, 20:14:
Looking for input, do you guys like the league with dropping your worst week? I historically like the setting incase someone misses a week it doesnt blast your score. There arent really any other settings to change.

A reminder to set your BN handle to your picks profile (is a seperate setting from your profile).

There are some really good people here as far as % of wins. I am throwing around the idea of some possible prizes for BN members.

i like the current settings as well. if you're gonna do prizes, maybe we should all just chip in and do a prize pool. i do a lot of fantasy sports so i don't mind tossing some cash out the window XD

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 17, 2017, 00:42 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Aug 16, 2017, 20:05:
Alternative medicine can DIAF. My friend was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer. Her former classmate is an alternative medicine "doctor.". She went to him for months even though we counseled her to go an actual medical doctor. She got worse and worse before finally switching. She's doing much better now after surgery and chemo. I wonder how many years she lost.

isn't that shit illegal? you can't claim to be a doctor if you're not and you can't give out medicine if you're not a doctor and if it's not FDA approved.

News Comments > AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch
30. Re: AMD Radeon RX Vegas Launch Aug 15, 2017, 00:13 1badmf

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 22:09:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 20:33:
JSP wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 15:33:
Get the 56 with Freesync monitor, that will be enough for most if they waited for AMD until now. From what I read Vega 56 has 30 to 50 W more power consumption and exceeds 1070 in most tests. Hopefully the AIB Vega 56s will be ready by the 28th

I'm going to go with a dead-heat 56 vs 1070.

Can it get any closer with this 25 game avg?
https://www.techspot.com/review/1468-amd-radeon-rx-vega-56/page8.html

A card I can buy right now (1070) vs a card I can't buy anywhere (VEGA 56) is not exactly a relevant comparison. And 40W extra power usage is a bit... well, meh.

No German tech shop has this card for sale, it's probably being bought up straight outside the factory by miners....

And that is not inherently bad, what it is however, is the typical shit-show of an AMD product launch. Today reviews are everywhere but the cards are nowhere to be found

yup. if you're going to get the 56 (i htink i will) you better have your finger on the trigger the moment they becom available on the 28th. as far as i can tell all vega 64s are already sold out.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2017, 04:59 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 04:46:
Nucas wrote on Aug 14, 2017, 03:05:
i've been treated skeptically by cashiers for using 2s before but i've never had it go past getting the manager called. a lack of life experience is depressing but predictable when trudging through flyover country. one time in vermont i was using 2s and using my passport as ID and was refused service because it was all "too fishy" and the cashier "heard how easy it is to get fake passports in new york". this woman was in her 30s.

Depending on what you're paying for, it's actually illegal for them to refuse to take your cash:

Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," states: "United States coins and currency [including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks] are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

not entirely correct. this only applies to debts incurred separate from payment; otherwise they could just refuse to sell you anything. hence, no debt, public or private. but yes, if you incur a debt, they cannot refuse to take cash as payment. i.e., they cant insist on a credit card instead of cash.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 6, 2017, 19:14 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 18:53:
fishingtime wrote on Aug 6, 2017, 12:00:
pot dealers need to be put in prison for life. the drugs taking over this society have done enough harm for more than a lifetime

Deaths from alcohol OD: 100,000s
Deaths from prescription drug OD: 10,000s
Deaths from pot OD: 0
Deaths from alcohol related accidents: 100,000s
Deaths from prescription drug related accidents: 1000s
Deaths from pot related accidents: 0

I'd say pot dealers are way way down the totem pole of things that need addressing, even within the realm of drugs.

troll or trump supporter. don't bother.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 5, 2017, 18:17 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Aug 5, 2017, 18:00:
Just a few points about the second amendment.

1) There's no way a bunch of guys with rifles and pickup trucks can stand up to the might of the US military and win. Force multiplication via modern technology is orders of magnitude greater than when it was written. Just look at how that worked out for ISIS, for example.

2) The raison d'etre of the second amendment was to maintain militias in southern states for the purpose of quelling slave rebellions. It was not intended to provide spontaneous "Wolverine!" style partisans in the event of a federal government takeover.

i have good reason to doubt that most 2nd amendment nuts have even read it. a friend who was a trained lawyer from a prestigious law school was silenced (for a moment) when i paraphrased the text for him that the law was tied to the support and maintenance of a militia, not unrestricted gun ownership like most of them believe.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
10. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 5, 2017, 00:51 1badmf

Ozmodan wrote on Aug 4, 2017, 17:48:
Definitely a sick girl, hope she gets some help. On that note, I completely agree with Cutter, it just a speech issue, she violated no known law.

This case was a waste of time for the prosecutor because it will be over turned. You need to break a law to be prosecuted. Nothing worse than a prosecutor out to make a name for themselves making up laws as they go.

absolutely wrong. free speech is not unlimited. inciting harm is absolutely against the law.

News Comments > AMD Vega Graphics Cards and New CPUs Revealed
15. Re: AMD Vega Graphics Cards and New CPUs Revealed Jul 31, 2017, 16:55 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 14:49:
Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 11:51:
Wonder how these will perform..

I just picked up a rift, and I'm loving it. I want to run my elite dangerous on ultra everything with lots of super sampling but my 980Ti and 4 year old i7 aren't up to par.

Looking at building a liquid cooled system for the first time ever and go high end and debating if I should wait for intels next chipset.

Does the CPU make that much difference? Looking at recent benchmarks, it looks like you only lose 15% or so running a 2500K vs a current Intel proc. Not much bang for the buck give that the 2500K was five generations ago.

i hope you're right. i am also still running a 2500k from the dark past. i was planning on a ryzen upgrade this black friday, but if i can still get away with just a video card upgrade i'll stick to that.

News Comments > AMD Vega Graphics Cards and New CPUs Revealed
14. Re: AMD Vega Graphics Cards and New CPUs Revealed Jul 31, 2017, 16:54 1badmf

Creston wrote on Jul 31, 2017, 13:57:
A new attack on the enthusiast gaming crypto-currency mining segment expected next month.

You will never be able to buy one of these at MSRP. Fuck crypto miners.

out of curiosity, why are amd cards so popular with the cryptos if nvidia are generally faster?

19. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 22, 2017, 00:04 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Jul 21, 2017, 21:35:
In 1.5 years, the house has had NO OFFERS but ours. Just seems odd.

I dunno Bats. This should be setting off police sirens or something.

Had a friend who bought a house where the buyer suppressed a report about an unstable stonewall holding up a hillside that they failed to disclose. They had to spend $1000s suing to get the original owner to pay for it. Even with your thoroughness, this just smells bad.

seconded (or thirded or whatever). dude is hiding shit. you may not discover the tell-tale heart until after you've closed and then you'd be well and truly fuct. and after everything you've been required to do, is it really such a great buy anymore?

24. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2017, 01:12 1badmf

Simon Says wrote on Jul 19, 2017, 13:44:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jul 19, 2017, 13:05:
I kind of doubt the T-Rex would have been a successful predator if it couldn't move above a slow walk. DO they think it perched in trees and jumped down on unsuspecting prey? Or hid in the bushes until something just walked into its jaws?

If the T-Rex couldn't run, I doubt the brachiosaurs and the other giant grazers could either, in the past it was just assumed that they did like they assumed the T-Rex did.

It is also possible that the T-Rex wasn't a predator after all, but a scavenger, eating already dead animals killed by other, more nimble carnivores. Its quite easy to imagine a T-Rex stumbling upon a corpse being eaten by raptor-like dinosaurs, scaring the latters away to claim the corpse as his own, or simply sharing it, profiting from the smaller dinosaurs successfull hunt.

unlikely he was just, or even primarily, a scavenger. carnivorous size highly correlates with predation. think of all the big meat eaters on earth today - they're the biggest and the meanest for a reason - they get first dibs. a scavenger wouldn't need the size and probably wouldn't get enough food to support it.

trex needed that bulk to kill bulky things; no other reason.

1500 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo