Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for 1badmf

Real Name 1badmf   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2003, 12:00
Total Comments 1296 (Pro)
User ID 17347

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored
17. Re: Assassin's Creed Egypt Setting Rumored Jan 5, 2016, 01:35 1badmf

assassin's creed has always been a conceptually brilliant series that was held back by uninspired design and rushed storytelling. frankly they need to take their time with this bitch, cut out all the cookie cutter missions and do a proper game world with custom stories from beginning to end.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Lucky's Tale Bundled with Oculus Rift
12. Re: Lucky's Tale Bundled with Oculus Rift Jan 1, 2016, 19:22 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Jan 1, 2016, 14:41:
Agent.X7 wrote on Jan 1, 2016, 13:56:
I want to be wowed by Rift, but this seems like the worst game to do that. Oh, an N64 looking platformer! Whee!

Yeah, I'm thinking more like Fallout 4 in VR, not Mario.

It was announced a few weeks ago that Eve: Valkyrie will also be bundled with Oculus.

Also price speculation that the OR could be $500 or more.

that's a bit more spendy than i was hoping for, especially since i'll probably have to upgrade my vid card as well. oh well, pc master race carries on.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
16. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 1, 2016, 19:14 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Jan 1, 2016, 16:50:
nin wrote on Jan 1, 2016, 16:07:
Wallshadows wrote on Jan 1, 2016, 16:03:
No one was hurt, well, I don't know about dickhead.

Yeah, but fuck that guy! Any injury he did to himself, he earned.

True. But, fuck alcohol. I always stay home to drink, but had a headache this morning.

being a seldom drinker myself, i was surpised at my tolerance last night. got nicely toasted pre-midnight after several shots, but then came down really quickly. too bad everybody at the party were people i already knew. no new hos to makeout with.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2015, 04:38 1badmf

yeah that appears to be what happened with michael arndt, the first guy they hired to write the script. his name was the one thing that kept my hope alive because i was a massive fan of his work in toy story 3 and his script revisions in Oblivion. he also won an oscar for a story i haven't seen yet, but then they parted ways under murky circumstances and i just knew the bean counters at disney had probably overruled his more daring script choices. shame too, cuz when he's free to run wild he has a real gift for humanism and poetry.  

17. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 31, 2015, 00:47 1badmf

bigspender wrote on Dec 30, 2015, 23:32:
Kxmode wrote on Dec 30, 2015, 21:18:
nin wrote on Dec 30, 2015, 12:44:
My third screening is today at the imax - woot!

Don't let the Haters derail your fun! Dance

I bet all of you star wars people would see the Star Wars Xmas special 3 times too if they were to release it in the cinemas.

i'm not a blind devotee and i suspect most of the people that hate SWFA aren't either. in my case, most of my angst over the movie comes from my love of it and my belief in what it could and should be. for me star wars NEEDS to be something great, and SWFA was merely entertaining, but nothing more. star wars was a revelation; since surpassed, but at the time, a sea change in scifi storytelling. Empire is one of the 10 greatest films of all time. Jedi i rank with the indiana jones trilogy in great adventure films.

that's what star wars needs to be, and can be if they'd just hire the right people instead of letting hacks like abrams take the reigns. JD i hope you're right about the next film cuz i was pessimisted when i heard JarJar Abrams was directing, and he made exactly the film i was afraid of.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2015, 18:22 1badmf

BobBob wrote on Dec 29, 2015, 16:16:
Thanks to El Niņo we had a super cold blast here yesterday. Was only in the mid 50s to 60s.

Not all hope is lost. It's climbjng back up toward the 70s over the next few days. Thumbsup

kinda pointless bragging about our weather when new york was warmer than LA last week.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2015, 16:18 1badmf

surprised they don't ship UPS in canada.  

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2015, 02:22 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Dec 29, 2015, 00:16:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 28, 2015, 22:18:
Super secret txt to follow:
Ugh where to start....
The blaster on the xwing, the huge ass wings on Kylo's ship that make it look like Darth Vader's Maxi with wings, The lady in the silver armor that was fucking worthless, Finn saying he was born to do one thing, yet he worked sanitation on the starkiller, and THEN became a stormtrooper. In A New Hope, everyone asked Solo for ID and orders when transferring a wookie, but no one questions Finn. And that's just in the 1st 30 mins of the movie.
There are just WAY to many fucking coincidences, even for the Force.
The music was fucking HORRIBLE. Which REALLY surprised me. Even 1-3 had some fucking awesome Williams trademark music, but there was NOTHING that even remotely peaked my ears.
The entire last trailer was 10 time better then the actual movie.

The ONLY thing I loved about the movie was the moment Rey had during the saber fight and accepted the force, to me THAT is what the light side of the force is about, and that scene to me nailed it.

Yup, (spoilers)
You and I mostly agree with the issues. I liked Ren's ship, though, and didn't think the music was awful, even while probably being the least memorable of any SW film. But all the ridiculous coincidences, logical inconsistencies, and stupid nonsensical callbacks drove me nuts and really spoiled things for me. It really put a turd on the same plate as my filet mignon, because there are some really great things about this movie like the world building, Poe, BB8, how everything looks real and not plastic, some of the action esp fighter battles, etc.

And disagree about Rey. I thought her mastery of the force was kind of Out of the Blue. She got to a level of the force in one movie (a few days) where Luke got to after 3 movies (several years): defeating a dark force master.

I agree, too, that final trailer is amazing.

secret text:

i thought they really missed an opportunity with Poe's character. oscar isaac is a great actor, and a free-wheeling fighter jock i think would've been something really meaty for him to sink his teeth into, like a starwarsy Maverick.

really i think i've come to the conclusion that the story should've been like, 80% new story/people, 20% old. as it was it was more 50/50 and it felt like JJ shoehorned in too much old just for nostalgia's sake, but he had no sense of balance at all.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 29, 2015, 00:02 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Dec 28, 2015, 22:05:
The Half Elf wrote on Dec 28, 2015, 19:06:
SlimRam wrote on Dec 28, 2015, 17:19:
Batman Returns, a great xmas movie and shot beautifully. Tim Burton at his dreary best

DOH, forgot about that one. *tips hat*

Speaking of movies, finally saw The Force Awakens.......
I'm not sure if I liked it or not. Part of the 5 year old that remembers standing in line for Empire Strikes Back thought it was ok, but there are so many glaring issues with the story that I really don't know where to start, and my brain has sorta shut down trying to process it.
Be prepared to be told you just don't know how to have fun, and how maybe Star Wars just isn't for you anymore.

Also if interested you can go back and read all the stuff I hid with spoiler text. Interested to know if we had the same issues.

is that what that discussion devolved into? haha i left after i posted my 2 cents cuz i knew it was gonna go into a dark place.

News Comments > Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt
17. Re: Force Awakens DLC for Battlefront in Doubt Dec 25, 2015, 17:29 1badmf

what do numbers have to do with it? going by that alone people once believed the world was flat, that maggots arose spontaneously from rotten meat, that bladerunner and ESB were bad films. the truth turned out to be way different than what the MAJORITY thought.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 24, 2015, 14:55 1badmf

ItBurn wrote on Dec 24, 2015, 14:30:
That star wars link, I didn't click on it, but I don't like spoilers in titles. Maybe it's not star wars related, but it probably is. I didn't see the movie, but now I know part of the plot... Not cool. I'm not going to read further comments in this thread for fear of being spoiled further. If it's not a star wars link, ignore my post :p

what? the First Order link? how is that a spoiler? it's like saying the nazis are the bad guys in Raiders of the Lost Ark. ok you found out before you would've found out 10 minutes into the film. BFD. although i'd be amazed you managed to avoid even that fact for all this time.

20. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2015, 13:57 1badmf

InBlack wrote on Dec 21, 2015, 13:52:
Jdreyer When was the last time you watched the original trilogy? I gave the original trilogy a whirl about two weeks ago to get ready for this one, and while it was original and had believable and consistent world building it featured many if not the same flaws you bring up here. I'm not going to refute you point by point, although I am in agreement with some of what you wrote here I still let myself enjoy the film and maybe you should give it another chance, since even the old ones are basically a retelling of the classic Hero myth so prevalent in our culture. There is a lot of room for Abrams to push the sequels into new territory, but expecting something 'new' from Star Wars is only setting yourself up for disappointment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Hero_with_a_Thousand_Faces

it isn't just that it's a retelling of an old theme. it's an almost scene for scene remake of its own predecessor. more than that, as its own work, most of it just doesn't make sense. being a remake has nothing to do with the lindeloffian illogic of the script.

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2015, 13:53 1badmf

well like i said, once the hype train disappears from view i think people will begin to see its MASSIVE flaws more clearly. frankly that's the only way to explains it ridiculous rotten tomatoes rating, cuz it ain't nearly that good. yeah, it's just a reboot of A New Hope, but rehashing old stories is frankly the only thing abrams is good at anymore. what you said about the lightsaber fight REALLY bugged the shit out of me even as i was watching it.

secret text:

Kylo should've skewered the both of them literally with his eyes closed. but even if we somehow accept that him being shot somehow weakened his fighting ability to the point that two complete n00bs could beat him, he should've flattened both of them with a single force crush.

39. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2015, 05:46 1badmf

you're right about the music. it was only good when it was recalling old themes. it wasn't the stunning work of genius that was Empire's soundtrack, but i guess there's only so much of that contained in one person and john williams has had more than his fair share.

for JD:

i don't know if a different production could've gotten more from the old cast, but in this film they were misused. and old, so so old. the thing about them from the originals was their indefeatable energy, and that was gone, sapped by their age. but daisy ridley will be a superstar - you cant take your eyes off her when she's on screen. john boyega has real charm, he wasn't what i was expecting at all.

the plot holes were... pretty bad. eye-rolling bad. not midichlorians bad, but bad.

as for the rest, if you want to see what star wars should be, watch the animated series Star Wars Rebels.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 19, 2015, 01:31 1badmf

bold personal prediction (spoiler free)(don't read if you don't want to be influenced by negativity):

once the hype dies down and people gain some perspective, history will remember Awakens as one of the shittier films. i would place it squarely in between both trilogies in quality - above Sith and below Hope to be specific.

to me it was a quintessential JJ Abrams film - devoted to spectacle while being otherwise woefully underdeveloped. the most miraculous part? i've loved these characters since i was a little boy, yet somehow he made me not give a shit about them. i actually like what they showed of the new characters a lot, but there wasn't nearly enough about them to care about.

there were tons of plot holes, inconsistencies and just plain lack of logic. there was too much homage to the original, to the point the film couldn't stand on its own feet. i hated the villains for all the wrong reasons, and frankly the soundtrack was not anywhere near JW's usual level.

am i being too hard on it? probably, but i guess it's because i want star wars to be as great as it should be and has been in the past, so mediocrity will not do. i want it to be as good as return of the jedi, or (one can scarcely hope) as good as Empire. i feel that's not too much to ask. but this, this to me was like battlefront - Disney whoring out the franchise to justify the 4bills they paid for it.

News Comments > Morning Interviews
16. Re: Thanks for BIOSHOCK, rock on Ken Dec 16, 2015, 01:19 1badmf

Simon Says wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 22:59:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 15, 2015, 17:37:
Ken Levine can make anything great, just look at Bioshock. One of the most atmospheric games I have ever played.
Looks like I'm not the only one.
Metacritic FTW
96/100 Universal acclaim based on 44 Critics
User Score 8.4 Generally favorable reviews based on 3294 Ratings

So basically, your argument is Argumentum Ad Populum. Appeal to the masses and appeal to authority? LOLLLLLL

it's not just going with the crowd. at some point the nature of a thing is so obvious that it's easily discerned by everyone. or more scientifically, the evidence is so compelling that a wide consensus can be reached. i feel, and so do most, that this is the case with bioshock. its quality is so obvious that, truthfully, anyone who doesn't think so is either just a hater or is just a poor judge of great art.

i question anyone's judgement who says, for example, that Bladerunner was a bad movie or Rembrandt was a bad artist. likewise i question anyone's judgement who says Bioshock was a bad game. much more likely you have shitty judgement than we're all wrong and it was a bad game.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 8, 2015, 11:00 1badmf

shady shit for sure. this can't be kosher with the antitrust cops at DoJ.  

News Comments > System Shock 3 Teased
9. Re: System Shock 3 Teased Dec 8, 2015, 10:57 1badmf

Zanderat1 wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 10:53:
Otherside is perfect for this. They are Looking Glass, after all (for the most part). Already backed UA. REALLY hope this is true.

surprised you guys even remember looking glass. if ever there was a dev that needed to be given a pit of money it was those guys. innovative fucks - why can't there be even one dev like them today.

News Comments > System Shock 3 Teased
1. Re: System Shock 3 Teased Dec 8, 2015, 10:28 1badmf

wow. this needs to be some next level looking glass/ken levine shit, hopefully not an EA style quick'n dirty smash and grab.  

1. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2015, 10:25 1badmf

it's also weird how consistently the leaders pick better than everyone else. i would think beyond a certain point (that a lot of us football fans are past) that it's all just statistical noise, but the names on the espn leaderboard are almost always the same dudes all season long.  

1296 Comments. 65 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo