Total Posts
2461 (Senior)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

2461 Comments. 124 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    124  ] Older

Re: Carlsen Wins Game 6, Longest World Chess Championship Game Of All Time.
Dec 4, 2021, 22:19
Re: Carlsen Wins Game 6, Longest World Chess Championship Game Of All Time. Dec 4, 2021, 22:19
Dec 4, 2021, 22:19

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 4, 2021, 19:42:
jdreyer wrote on Dec 4, 2021, 19:38:
Apparently it is a lot of calories:
Robert Sapolsky, who studies stress in primates at Stanford University, says a chess player can burn up to 6,000 calories a day while playing in a tournament, three times what an average person consumes in a day. Based on breathing rates (which triple during competition), blood pressure (which elevates) and muscle contractions before, during and after major tournaments, Sapolsky suggests that grandmasters' stress responses to chess are on par with what elite athletes experience.
Haha, cool -- thanks for looking that up. It makes sense, the reason I asked was because I was aware the brain can use a lot of energy...

there's a japanese competitive card matching game that they made an anime out of a few years ago. you have match them face down. they give you time to memorize where they are, but we're talking a grid of 100+ cards. the mental gymnastics required, yes, 6000+ calories a day. the only thing that would fuel them was pure sugar - soda, chocolate, whatever they could get their hands on. i'm curious if carlsen and the other GMs consume calories like that.

Re: OotB: Snow(ish) Day
Nov 29, 2021, 00:54
Re: OotB: Snow(ish) Day Nov 29, 2021, 00:54
Nov 29, 2021, 00:54

just finished watching Arcane on netflix and man, it is outrageously better than it has any right to be. it's an adaptation of league of legends but you don't need to know anything about the game to watch; i didn't. explores themes of wealth inequality and conflict resolution, and family dynamics that can break bonds to the limit. so well written, and the voice acting is first rate too. and the CG is so stunningly good, i was only 99% sure it was CG heh. seriously, every frame could be a work of art. highly recommended.

Re: OotB: Snow(ish) Day
Nov 28, 2021, 14:50
Re: OotB: Snow(ish) Day Nov 28, 2021, 14:50
Nov 28, 2021, 14:50

jdreyer wrote on Nov 28, 2021, 14:31:
Sorry, Ridley Scott, we just don’t think it’s safe to go back into the cinema.

In fairness, The Last Duel would have bombed regardless of COVID. The last historical epic he did, Kingdom of Heaven, made $47M on $130M budget. And that was arguably a more accessible film.

TLD was a decent film. all the ridley scott hallmarks - first rate production values and cinematogrpahy, but it was an oddly small story for such a long run time. would've been more fitting as a netflix special. i didn't realize KoH did so poorly; thought it at least made its money back, but part of it was that the theatrical version wasn't very good. if they'd released the director's cut it would've been a blockbuster. that is a spectacular film that would've won oscars noms.

Re: Saturday Legal Briefs
Nov 20, 2021, 17:36
Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Nov 20, 2021, 17:36
Nov 20, 2021, 17:36

jdreyer wrote on Nov 20, 2021, 14:32:
Theranos trial: Elizabeth Holmes makes surprise testimony.

Maybe she doesn't have a choice. Sounds like things aren't really going her way.

she's 100% going to federal pound-me-in-the-ass prison after an investor testified he heard all the lies come straight from her mouth, and a reporter who wrote preview articles about them had it all on tape.

Re: OotB: Dammit!
Nov 19, 2021, 21:42
Re: OotB: Dammit! Nov 19, 2021, 21:42
Nov 19, 2021, 21:42

NKD wrote on Nov 19, 2021, 16:06:
I think an acquittal is probably the right call here but I think governments need to pass anti-vigilante laws, to at the very least, keep people from travelling 2 states over just looking for an excuse to shoot someone.

can't believe they dropped the illegal weapons charge. that was a slam dunk. he thoroughly proved why adolescents are too immature to own guns. the whole thing doesn't happen if a 17 y/o punk doesn't bring a rifle to a protest. self defense yaddiyadda; those protesters were doing what the right wing gun nuts have wet dreams of doing - charging at what they thought was an active shooter armed with nothing but what was in their hands to prove how manly they are.

Re: ItB: Stomp Stomp Stomp
Nov 10, 2021, 21:50
Re: ItB: Stomp Stomp Stomp Nov 10, 2021, 21:50
Nov 10, 2021, 21:50

fakespyder wrote on Nov 10, 2021, 21:04:
I built a model AT-AT when I was a kid. Not lego but plastic and glue. Painted it and left it to dry.
Without my knowledge, my helpful brother sat the heater in front of it to help it dry.
By the time I discovered it my poor AT-AT's body had collapsed.
My brother was suitably apologetic.
I used the AT-AT head as a space ship.

i hope you kicked his ass as all little bros deserve XD

Re: Teased EA Revival is Fight Night
Nov 10, 2021, 21:48
Re: Teased EA Revival is Fight Night Nov 10, 2021, 21:48
Nov 10, 2021, 21:48

Xero wrote on Nov 10, 2021, 17:02:
BIGtrouble77 wrote on Nov 10, 2021, 16:25:
Are people really throwing that much shade on a new boxing game? The Fight Night series has surprisingy good mechanics and difficulty curve. It is a complete joke with the career and story modes, but I guess online makes up for that. Fight Night Champion on the PS3 still holds up visually today.

Cahrect! Fight Night is not just an arcade boxer game where you mash buttons and perform combos out of Mortal Kombat (thinkin Ready to Rumble Boxing here), but was really in depth. A veteran player vs a rookie showed the difference immediately and it had a very unique control scheme.

It was a very addictive game while drinking with a friend and would cause real punches to be thrown, lol.

Though at this point, I think ESBC will be the definitive boxing game to come out and for years to come. The animation is life like and what you can and cannot do appear to mimic true boxing (feints, footwork, cutting the ring off). I'm so looking forward to that game.

If EA can dig this series up from the grave, I'm all for it, but I honestly don't care about it.

fight night was an excellent boxing game that had great controls (using sticks to control the fighter and punches instead of buttons) and historical matchups were tons of fun. great party game for real gamers, not that smash bros garbage.

Re: OotB: Yours, Mine, and Hours
Nov 7, 2021, 16:27
Re: OotB: Yours, Mine, and Hours Nov 7, 2021, 16:27
Nov 7, 2021, 16:27

Khruschev really was a caricature bond villain:

In August 1961, Khrushchev summoned scientists to a secret meeting at the Kremlin. A colonel stationed at Arzamas-16 was tasked with bringing a wooden dummy of the massive bomb—considerably scaled down, but still large enough that it required several officers to bring it into the conference room. He later reported that, as the scientists briefed Khrushchev, the Soviet leader “stroked the polished surface of the model for a long time, and looked at the superbomb with drunken eyes.” The colonel speculated that perhaps Khrushchev believed the bomb “gave him unprecedented power over the world.”[

Re: OotB: Yours, Mine, and Hours
Nov 7, 2021, 16:02
Re: OotB: Yours, Mine, and Hours Nov 7, 2021, 16:02
Nov 7, 2021, 16:02

jdreyer wrote on Nov 7, 2021, 14:00:
I found this story hilarious.

Mass fake vaccinations have been taking place in dozens of vaccination centers throughout Greece, media reported on Sunday. The bribe fee for doctors and nurses is apparently 400 euros. the fee is paid is by those who do not want to receive the vaccines against Covid-19 but want to gain access to several activities or simply avoid the twice per week Rapid tests for professional and other reasons.

But then a hilarious thing happened: Doctors pocketed the bribe but administered real vaccine and not “water” in order to avoid getting into trouble should the fake vaccination come out, according to a report by Mega TV.

insanity. they'd pay 400 euros rather than get the real vaccine for free AND help stop the pandemic? holy shit the gigantic willfull ignorance. i had no idea antivaxxxers were a big thing outside of our idiocracy.

Re: OotB: That's All Fawkes
Nov 5, 2021, 19:26
Re: OotB: That's All Fawkes Nov 5, 2021, 19:26
Nov 5, 2021, 19:26

the problem with what the right calls research is they just look for whatever supports their pre-existing beliefs and discard anything else, so it's not really research at all, just the worst form of confirmation bias. if he actually cared about the truth he'd have found that pretty much all established medical science shows zero experimental support for invermectin as an effective covid treatment, and universal proof of effectiveness of vaccines.

Re: OotB: That's All Fawkes
Nov 5, 2021, 19:01
Re: OotB: That's All Fawkes Nov 5, 2021, 19:01
Nov 5, 2021, 19:01

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 5, 2021, 16:37:
It seems "V for Vendetta" is an unappreciated film. I like watching it every now and again.

On a completely different subject -- apparently Aaron Rodgers thinks he is under fire from the "woke mob". Yeah, lying about your status and ignoring covid protocols has nothing to do with it.

he was always an arrogant sob, but he backed it up by being smarter than the room. i never thought he was a scumbag asshole until now, and buying into the right wing politicization of the pandemic is the opposite of smart.

Re: StarCraft First-Person Shooter Reportedly Cancelled
Nov 3, 2021, 21:46
Re: StarCraft First-Person Shooter Reportedly Cancelled Nov 3, 2021, 21:46
Nov 3, 2021, 21:46

how odd this popped up today. at a halloween get together i ran into a guy i know who works for blizz and he told me the same thing. battlefield with terran marines/driving siege tanks/flying mutalisks woulda been awesome.

Re: Saturday Tech Bits
Oct 30, 2021, 16:16
Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 30, 2021, 16:16
Oct 30, 2021, 16:16

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 30, 2021, 13:48:
Curiouser to know if they are good miners.

oddly enough my 4 year old rx vega 64 is still a very good miner; as good as all the current gen cards except the very top. i mention this cuz i saw all the articles about shib coin so i figured i could mine a few before their price explodes and not miss the boat like i think all of us did with bitcoin 10 years ago.

Re: Out of the Blue
Oct 25, 2021, 02:00
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 25, 2021, 02:00
Oct 25, 2021, 02:00

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 24, 2021, 15:23:
Keeping up with the movies was not difficuIt and i have never read the books.
I definitely preferred the 1984 version and how they showed space travel and Baron Vladimir Harkonnen. Plus Sting.

in terms of main plot, yes, the new movie did an adequate job (can't believe they didn't show the emperor at all, or his early scene with the guild navigator. that would've increased the political tension a lot i feel). but there was so much rich backstory that was completely glossed over. what are mentats? i don't remember even hearing that word. who are the bene gesserit and what role do they play in politics? what even is the landsraad? that word crept up a few times with no explanation.

spoilers if you haven't seen it: zero tension building with Yueh. he's the house atreides doctor, and then suddenly he's a traitor without there even being a hint of a traitor. that didn't work for me at all. i imagine that had to be somewhat jarring and confusing for someone new to Dune. also i thought lynch dune handled the escape from arakeen much better. 10 minutes to get to the rocks and lets move on. the stop in between was completely unnecessary.

overall i thought 2021 Dune was a masterclass in modern cinema (esp. since i saw it in IMAX) but the screenplay was inferior to lynch Dune. it was longer, covered half the material, and yet somehow explained even less. maybe it's just me, but i've always been an information sponge so more backstory almost always means richer storytelling. mystery is overrated when the information is well known in universe, just withheld from the viewer for no good reason. which is to say, i'd still give it an A-. the screen play is sufficient to tell the story, it just could've been better. but not so bad as to drag the whole experience down. the designs especially were phenomenal and imaginative; from the ornithopters to the wardrobes. all so thoroughly well done and filmed it's hard to believe everything onscreen was just temporary. if i was on that cast i would've wanted desperately to steal my costume. just gorgeous.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Oct 21, 2021, 21:31
Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 21, 2021, 21:31
Oct 21, 2021, 21:31

NKD wrote on Oct 21, 2021, 19:16:
LOL Oh man this'll be a great trainwreck. Another failed Trump venture.

By the way, the terms of service for this "free speech" site literally ban you from criticising Trump or the site itself.

i would've been shocked if that wasn't true. him and his zealots have amply proven truth isn't what matters to them, but rather idol worship of the orange beast. it's sad that the've hijacked words like 'truth' and 'honesty' into rabble rousing buzzwords because now they don't mean anything anymore, to either side.

Oct 21, 2021, 21:24
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2021, 21:24
Oct 21, 2021, 21:24

jdreyer wrote on Oct 21, 2021, 19:03:
Ozmodan wrote on Oct 21, 2021, 17:45:
Dune needs to be seen in the theater. Watching it on TV is just not the same.
I dunno, sitting five feet away from a 70 inch OLED 4K with a kickass 7.1 surround sound system would come pretty close. Not that I have one of those...

if you have that, i would agree. i've watched movies on spared-no-expense home theater setups before and it beats out a crowded theater. but very few have $10k to shell out for said setup.

removed
Oct 21, 2021, 00:08
removed Oct 21, 2021, 00:08
Oct 21, 2021, 00:08

* REMOVED *

This comment was deleted on Oct 21, 2021, 08:00. Reason: Intolerance (rule 2)

Oct 21, 2021, 00:00
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 21, 2021, 00:00
Oct 21, 2021, 00:00

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 20, 2021, 19:54:
Well, considering they have found five other bodies, which they think are not related, since the search started... I'll definitely wait for a confirmation of the ID before assuming he is out of reach.

difference; they found his personal items nearby. gators probably got him. why would you ever hide out in a swamp where there are predators for whom eating humans is no biggie?

Oct 16, 2021, 17:11
Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2021, 17:11
Oct 16, 2021, 17:11

Mr. Tact wrote on Oct 16, 2021, 15:34:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 16, 2021, 15:31:
NASA advisor quits after the agency keeps a $10 billion telescope named after James Webb

Walkowicz walked.
Yeah, that was weird -- almost felt like it was made up. I'm not sure why NASA is making a stand on this hill. It can't be tough to change the name. Stupid, but whatever.

a bit of a conundrum. pretty much everybody who wasn't gay was anti-gay in the 60s. it was just the fabric of society back then. if we dig deep enough i think we'd be able to prove that with any public figure from that time period. do we not commemorate any of them? do we set aside george washington and jefferson because they were slave owners? MLK and Einstein because they were serial philanderers? patton because he was a bit of a racist? i don't believe a skeleton in your closet should cancel your whole life; particularly when it wasn't the primary accomplishment of your life, like the confederate generals. america was bigoted back then, plain and simple.

Re: Evening Safety Dance
Oct 15, 2021, 00:53
Re: Evening Safety Dance Oct 15, 2021, 00:53
Oct 15, 2021, 00:53

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 15, 2021, 00:44:
NKD wrote on Oct 15, 2021, 00:18:
Dumbfuck redneck scared of computers reacts predictably. Keep it inbred Missouri.
Come on now.
The Governor of misery is overqualified. From being an MP in the army to a deputy sheriff/sheriff and owning a gas station, he’s the man you want in charge.

it's about time they started instituting mandatory qualifications for public office. i'm not normally big on requiring college degrees but SOME experience/education in public service or poliSci should be a must.
2461 Comments. 124 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    124  ] Older