Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for 1badmf

Real Name 1badmf   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2003, 12:00
Total Comments 1908 (Pro)
User ID 17347

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Monitor question Jul 15, 2019, 20:34 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 15:23:
1badmf wrote on Jul 15, 2019, 14:36:
a ton? that's news to me. i would think most AAA titles do. i know AC:O did, as do the tomb raider games. also they are millions and even battletech did. also arma3 if that's your cup of tea, and i'm sure most driviing/flight sims. i don't doubt there's games that dont but i think it's safe to say there's enough market saturation for ultrawide monitors that support will only go up as time passes.

Probably a lot of older games don't support ultrawide. That said, won't they just display with black bars?

most likely, though also likely at least a few games will displayed stretched i think. i'm not a code monkey so i don't know the black magic behind it, but i'd guess it depends on whether it was coded to fill the screen or not.

oh, also freesync does do you good even though you're team green. nvidia enabled freesync support earlier this year in a driver upgrade. they have their own curated list called 'gsync compatible' that's like, super short but you can manually enable it in NCP. this only works for geforce 10xx and later though.

here's and article about it. if you can, i would see if there's a functional freesync version of your preferred monitor. it'll be noticeably cheaper since freesync is a free standard whereas nvidia charges OEMs to install a gsync module in their monitors. i saved like $200 on mine cuz i found the freesync version instead of gsync.

This comment was edited on Jul 15, 2019, 20:52.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Monitor question Jul 15, 2019, 14:36 1badmf

a ton? that's news to me. i would think most AAA titles do. i know AC:O did, as do the tomb raider games. also they are millions and even battletech did. also arma3 if that's your cup of tea, and i'm sure most driviing/flight sims. i don't doubt there's games that dont but i think it's safe to say there's enough market saturation for ultrawide monitors that support will only go up as time passes.  

3. Re: Monitor question Jul 15, 2019, 12:51 1badmf

with the acer you should select the 21:9 ultrawide option. costs about the same as the aienware.

i highly recommend a 1440p ultrawide. gaming and movies are better since they use the full width of the screen. productivity is a lot more viable since the width is more conducive to side by side multitasking. only downside is watching videos that aren't native 21:9. you'll have black bars on the sides.

i personally have a 34" lg with a 3800r curve. at this size the curve makes a difference, though i wouldn't recommend anything with a deeper curve. for reference, the number is the radius of the circle the screen would make if it completed a circle, so a smaller number = a smaller circle = a deeper curve.

the alienware is a 1900r curve which i feel is too deep. any kid of off center viewing will probably be annoying, but i've never owned a 1900r monitor so i can't say for sure.

i prefer VA panels to IPS myself. i've owned both and VA panels have noticeably deeper blacks. people say IPS has superior viewing angles, but i see zero difference.

based on my own google-fu i'd be eyeballing this guy. 35"/VA panel/gsync/120 hz/cheaper than your options even!

if that's not to your liking, a bunch of monitors are discounted for prime day right now so shop till you drop!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 9, 2019, 19:33 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 19:17:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 16:18:
jdreyer wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 15:48:
Antivaxxers turn to homeschooling to avoid protecting their kids’ health.

I've started watching House (my extremely smart but surly daughter loves him). I was surprised to see in S1E2 House meeting with an anti-vaxxer in the clinic. This was written in 2003! Surprised that it was on the radar back then. Seems like it's only been going on for a few years.
I really like that show. I still watch the rebroadcasts...

The whole thing is on Amazon Prime. One thing I like is that they don't dumb down the medical talk. Also, I'm wondering if House was the inspiration for the Cumberbatch Sherlock.

House was inspired by sherlock holmes. i don't remember the proofs but the writers said so.

why is your daughter surly? kids with attitude are adorable, esp. little girls heh.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 1, 2019, 21:59 1badmf

extra long weekend for most means mini-apocalypse traffic on wednesday night =(  

16. Re: Flight 370 Jul 1, 2019, 01:05 1badmf

boeing and the FAA are dancing in the spotlight well enough - it's up to those higher up to punish them for their crimes. i had no idea malaysia was so corrupt. i'm betting most people don't.  

13. Re: Flight 370 Jun 30, 2019, 22:38 1badmf

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 30, 2019, 17:08:
What Really Happened to Malaysia’s Missing Airplane

wow. powerful article. superb journalism. i hope it wins a pulitzer so light can be shed on the corruption of the malaysian investigation.

News Comments > They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty
5. Re: They Are Billions to Ease Difficulty Jun 23, 2019, 23:18 1badmf

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 23, 2019, 22:59:
I'm 10 or 12 missions in to the campaign so far (about the same number of hours), it seems I've barely scratched the surface based on my progress with the tech tree and across the world map, but it's pretty awesome! I love the blend of base-building and tactical missions, and the overall progression is satisfying. It's a great introduction to the game, too, because you start out with only basic units and buildings, then unlock new stuff slowly as you go. I'm sure that's a lot easier to swallow for newcomers compared to survival mode, where everything is thrown at you at once.

I'd recommend ignoring the bitching and moaning on Steam reviews and forums, though. Most complaints are about the forced 'iron man' mode in regards to saving, as well as the difficulty. These are not new things introduced with the campaign, it's been that way throughout early access and they've been very straightforward in that it's not going to change. This is an intentionally old-school kind of RTS, and it's not going to appeal to everyone. But if that's what you like, GET IT, because it's really good.

I, for one, wholeheartedly support these guys for making a game that is actually challenging and doesn't allow you to save-scum to undo every little mistake. Sure, you will fuck up while learning the game and you will fail some missions... But apparently that's not okay for a lot of people. They can't stand "wasting their time," as if playing the game itself is no fun at all if it ends in a loss. And yet they also refuse to lower the difficulty (and reduce their meaningless score) out of some weird sense of pride. So it's a catch-22 of modern gamer idiocy.

well put. this game is NOT n00b friendly - was designed to appeal to RTSers who like a challenge. i suspect a lot of the negative reviews are people who didn't play the early access and had no idea what they were getting into. the early access was hard as hell with NO hand holding and i loved it.

the idiots bitching about score are completely missing the point - while it's nice to do well, the pleasure of the challenge is to figure out the tactical puzzles yourself and then conquer them. in other words, it's the journey not the destination. score should be a reward for your tactical acumen at solving the puzzle, not the end all to the game.

16. Re: Researchers Dropped 17,000 Wallets To Test Honesty In Countries Around The World Jun 21, 2019, 21:44 1badmf

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 21:05:
Wait, wait, wait. So the assertion is that I, as an atheist, lack morals and character, or have lesser amounts thereof, because I do not believe in an unproven invisible sky wizard?

Let me disprove that in a single sentence:

I don't proclaim to be a Christian while rabidly supporting a wannabe tyrant president, concentration camps, kids in cages, and cutting benefits to the poorest and sickest among us.

Before someone says "B...b...but those aren't REAL Christians!" Shove it. You claim the title, you get to own and deal with all the bullshit attached to it.

and let's not forget the buckets of blood spilled throughout history at the hands of fanatics in the name of whatever deity they profess to worship. of course that's counterbalanced by all the immoral acts atheists are famous for committing - WAIT A MINUTE!

seriously, that was some lack of self-awareness of trumpian proportions.

12. Re: Researchers Dropped 17,000 Wallets To Test Honesty In Countries Around The World Jun 21, 2019, 19:31 1badmf

Kxmode wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 19:06:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 17:46:
jdreyer wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 17:21:
All good points. I look forward to reading more in-depth studies on people's motivations in this regard.
Here's my take. </=$400 gets returned, >/=$40,000 finders keepers.
In-between is if I think someone's watching.
My sister is an administrative assistant for a police department.
A person turned in a paper bag they found along the railroad tracks that had $28k. I would have ate a steak and invested in gamestop if that'd been me.

And I'm sure your current wealth, and the population and culture you live in drives your decision. You lean atheist so there may not be as strong a moral reason to return the money or report it. (e.g. "the needs of the one outweigh the needs of the many")

did... did you seriously just say atheists tend to be less moral? are you fucking serious?

News Comments > They Are Billions Released
5. Re: They Are Billions Released Jun 19, 2019, 01:06 1badmf

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 23:21:
I bought this back in Early Access, probably a year ago. If you like building massive forts, and having enemies run up to those forts and get annihilated by your insane defense(or destroy your town because your plan was flawed) then this is probably the game for you.

To be fair, I haven't played it for awhile; I had 20+ hours in the EA version, which was basically a sandbox only mode(timed). I'm looking forward to the missions, should be awesome!

I think I put it aside during EA right before they added the trains.

same. it was an awesome zombie defense game. do we get the full version, we that bought early access?

22. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 18, 2019, 19:58 1badmf

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 13:17:
Nimh wrote on Jun 18, 2019, 12:52:
Last time we moved we ended up loading up a 26' truck and just parking it at a gated self-storage facility for a week until we could move in to the new place. It was a better option to pay a little extra for the truck than to load/unload twice. For what it's worth.
That is a great life tip.

Good luck on the move Blue. We feel your pain, excitement, dread...

i don't know if it's offered back east, but there's a company called Pods or something like that, that will drop off a storage crate (size of your choosing) at your old place, you load it up, they'll store it however long you need, then they'll transport it to your new place when you specify. helped a friend load up his pod a few years ago.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 13, 2019, 21:58 1badmf

disappointing. almost certainly inferior to my 2 year old vega64 liquid.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 13, 2019, 21:56 1badmf

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 13, 2019, 17:38:
Sarah Sanders is out!

not that she did anything anyway. she was almost literally the Mouth of Sauron - shamelessly spewing his lies to the point where no one bothered to believe her anymore. after that she didn't even bother to do the 'daily' press briefings anymore. i think in the last couple months she averaged one a month. i'll be surprised if the liar in chief even bothers to replace her.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2019, 22:03 1badmf

Burrito of Peace wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 19:08:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 11, 2019, 17:33:
Why the 3700x and not the 3800x, inquiring minds and all that.

40 extra TDP on the 3800X for a meager 300Mhz gain on the base frequency and 100Mhz on the max boost.

I'd prefer to run my machine as cool and quiet as possible, thus the 3700X.

Edit:

I've always run Crucial or Corsair memory as those are brands I know and trust. How does G.SKILL compare?

g.skill is a pretty well known gamer brand of memory. i've gone through several sticks, never failed me.

News Comments > Halo Infinite Next Year
5. Re: Halo Infinite Next Year Jun 10, 2019, 21:50 1badmf

is it just me or does chief's armor look like it's made of Styrofoam?  

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 7, 2019, 20:02 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 17:59:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 12:01:
Acleacius wrote on Jun 7, 2019, 11:50:
Tip of the day: SHUT THE FUCK UP
Blue beat you to it in yesterdays https://www.bluesnews.com/s/200751/out-of-the-blue
It had my captive local barista lol'ing.

I thought it looked interesting. I like the idea of alternate history dramas. That said, I totally bounced off Man in the High Castle.

Also, they better not bring back one of the dead astronauts as an "angel" a la Starbuck. I'm not still bitter about that bullshit. Not at all.

was that why she came back? i stopped watching after that cuz i could smell the bullshit coming a million light years away. so actual starbuck was actually dead?

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 6, 2019, 21:17 1badmf

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 6, 2019, 19:28:
The True Cause of the Black Mesa Incident
https://twitter.com/BlackMesaDevs/status/1136770788802027520

fucking diatlov, every fucking time.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 4, 2019, 20:10 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Jun 4, 2019, 14:45:
Can we cut China and Russia off from the internet already?

russia has already openly talked about creating their own internet and cutting off the rest of the world. and the rest of the world said, 'kthxbye'

4. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 2, 2019, 22:49 1badmf

i did, at my brother's xmas party. he suggested we burn some logs in his backyard pit, and i spent the next hour-ish just... burning shit heh. best part - his 2 year old son/my nephew was 'helping' me by kid-fanning the flames with a piece of cardboard, all the whole yelling, 'I RYKE FIYAH!!'  

1908 Comments. 96 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo