Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for 1badmf

Real Name 1badmf   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname None given.
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On Jun 4, 2003, 12:00
Total Comments 1494 (Pro)
User ID 17347

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 23, 2017, 17:53 1badmf

VaranDragon wrote on Oct 23, 2017, 10:55:
On Last Action Hero. The reason Arnie gives is really dumb. The movie bombed because it opened against Jurrasic Park. End. Of. Story.

In any case, it still made money overseas, and True Lies came out later and was a big hit.

I kind of like that movie, it's a guilty pleasure despite the annoying kid.

It's still way better than anything Michael Bay ever made.

i would rate armageddon and The Rock as superior to true lies. they sortof accidentally stumbled into the humanist side of conflict and desperation scenarios and were entertaining as hell on top.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 16, 2017, 23:53 1badmf

Creston wrote on Oct 16, 2017, 11:56:
If China has a sense of humor, they'll crash their space station on a US embassy somewhere and go "Oops! Our bad!"

you know, i try to be a bigger person and look past stereotypes, but holy fuck at the made-in-chinaness of that space station. you would think they wouldn't half-ass something weighing several tons that would inevitably fall on people's heads.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
25. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 13, 2017, 18:52 1badmf

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 12:02:
Beamer wrote on Oct 13, 2017, 11:41:
I'm suggesting there is in experiences, shared culture, and taste.
Do you think you could create a marketing plan that would appeal to urban youths without offending them as well as, y'know, someone with that background?

Whaaaaaaa? Shit son, I'm hip with that lingo, yo! Fresh to the beat n'shit! Urban Youth is en fleek and so am I!

*puts pants on backwards* WordUP!

CanIHazJobPlease?

brooooooo... if you were famous and shared that publicly you would be roasted alive by the internet public O.o

keep up the good work XD

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 10, 2017, 23:43 1badmf

so no one else wanted to puke after that sophomoric melodramafest of a trailer?  

News Comments > Jurassic World Evolution Trailer
8. Re: Jurassic World Evolution Trailer Oct 9, 2017, 17:46 1badmf

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 17:37:
To be fair, the Helicopter did have mounted weapons, and it was in-game. And it wasn't called a gameplay trailer.

exactly. they might tone down the grafix a bit, but nothing in there looked unreasonably good to me, esp. on a top end gaming rig.

i just hope this doesn't turn into a cheesy human drama adventurefest. this needs to be an open world exploration game with an ecology themed narrative as a backbone.

25. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 17:40 1badmf

Creston wrote on Oct 9, 2017, 17:22:
*raises a bottle to BN*

Salut!

nin, time to come back, buddy!

as a refugee from voodooextreme, i feel like this is the last piece of my youth that never let go. grunge is gone, VE3D is gone, disillusionment is gone. only blues is left that is something uniquely from the heady days of my delightful ignorance.

here's to another 21 (and another after that) and refusing to grow up.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2017, 03:39 1badmf

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 21:21:
1badmf wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 16:58:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 15:18:
El Pit wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 14:08:
I wonder if Blade Runner 2049 is like the first Blade Runner movie: great movie, but box office poison. It seems people just want actors in colorful spandex costumes fighting each other... Whatever. I am going to watch BR2049 next week.

I feel this movie will have legs. Older farts like us will go see it, just not opening weekend. They compare it monetarily to Alien Covenant, but by all indications, that was a bad movie. I think BR2049 will continue to make decent money for several weeks. It's worth it to see a Denis Villeneuve film in theaters. They're always so gorgeous.

(spoiler free) it's worth seeing for the visuals alone, but the rest i wasn't a fan of, and i worship the original. it lacked the philosophy and the loneliness of the original. it was a straight plot sequel without attempting to match its artistic importance.

sidenote: i love gratuitous nudity as much as anyone, but it got distracting in this film. i feel like i missed some important things staring at glorious naked bodies.

If I remember correctly there were 3 nude moments in the entire movie. And I thought the loneliness was portrayed quite well with Ryan's performance.

i mean, there wasn't a ton of nudity, but there what there was, was quite ample. doesn't help that the JOI actress is a blazing hot exemplar of female perfection, nor that you don't... appreciate that type of thing as much as i do heh.

gosling's goslingness leaked out a little too much for such a robotic role. he's a naturally goofy dude and he had too much personality for my liking. and the film had fucking gags of all things. i mean they were funny, but they really undercut the mood and seriousness of the film for me.

i think i can say that it's a compelling detective-noir film, but not the important work of art that the original was.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2017, 16:58 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 15:18:
El Pit wrote on Oct 8, 2017, 14:08:
I wonder if Blade Runner 2049 is like the first Blade Runner movie: great movie, but box office poison. It seems people just want actors in colorful spandex costumes fighting each other... Whatever. I am going to watch BR2049 next week.

I feel this movie will have legs. Older farts like us will go see it, just not opening weekend. They compare it monetarily to Alien Covenant, but by all indications, that was a bad movie. I think BR2049 will continue to make decent money for several weeks. It's worth it to see a Denis Villeneuve film in theaters. They're always so gorgeous.

(spoiler free) it's worth seeing for the visuals alone, but the rest i wasn't a fan of, and i worship the original. it lacked the philosophy and the loneliness of the original. it was a straight plot sequel without attempting to match its artistic importance.

sidenote: i love gratuitous nudity as much as anyone, but it got distracting in this film. i feel like i missed some important things staring at glorious naked bodies.

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Oct 7, 2017, 18:01 1badmf

DangerDog wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 17:17:
I remember there being some controversy over having a little girl character in the game.

she wasn't human so it's cool!

...that was the point of the movie right? pretty sure i still have my copy in the garage somewhere.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 18:00 1badmf

Creston wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 17:51:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 15:00:
Zipper Merging in Traffic Seems Rude but Research Shows It Is the Best Approach.

I remember reading an article about this a couple of years ago. Even though I know it's the most efficient way, it still pisses me off when people cut.

I admit I always cut, but unlike 99% of the drooling mouthbreathers here in Tulsa, I can actually drive, so I just coast along the main line waiting for the line to accelerate, then I smoothly slide into one of the inevitable gaps that happens when a line of cars accelerates. Nobody ever has to brake for me or is hindered by me doing this, and yet people still get pissed.

Most of the idiots who "cut", of course, try to merge in when everyone is braking or when everyone is already standing still, thus causing clumps and delays.

MERGE WHEN THE LINE IS EXPANDING, NOT WHEN IT'S CONTRACTING, IDIOTS.

out here in california i think a lot of us came to htis conclusion a long time ago. nobody gives a shit about zipper merges anymore - when a lane shuts down we all just flow to the end until the cones force us to conform. i mean there's always one asshole who has to merge as late as possible, as if forcing his way in between two stopped cars will save him any time vs merging over to faster lanes sooner but it's always fun to give them the stink eye as I flow past that neanderthal that roared past me cuz he thought i was wasting his time by not waiting till i knocked over a couple cones before i merged.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 7, 2017, 17:54 1badmf

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 7, 2017, 17:26:
Ok Blade Runner update:

Made it to the scene where Daryl Hanna get's invited into the apt building of the guy who builds toys/friends and fell asleep. I sorta know how the movie ends (tears in the rain blah blah).
So a co-worker took me to see Blade Runner 2049, and have to say it's still a weird movie, story is a bit easier to follow, but (TO ME) lacks all the cool "Shadowrun" look/feel/vibe, especially on the street level when Decker is eating Chinese food, or chasing down the pleasure replicant. Not quite Sixth Sense deep, but overall a pretty decent flick.

sounds like what i expected - well made film, but it'll never equal the original's mind-blowing vision. but then, who could match a film that created its own genre.

also, sixth sense? deep? we're talking about 'i see dead people' right? i wouldn't call it deep, just clever.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 23, 2017, 18:38 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Sep 23, 2017, 13:42:
College student spent 60 hours in cave before rescue, licked walls for water

"Safety protocols? Those are for kids."

Aren't you supposed to use a buddy system when you go spelunking?

yeah that was pretty much complete disregard for safety. buddy system AND a pre- and post-cave head count would be bare minimum i think.

33. Re: New AMD Drivers Support Dual Vega GPUs Sep 22, 2017, 23:03 1badmf

Verno wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 16:32:
Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 22, 2017, 16:24:
Wait, I thought The Orville was a comedy/spoof? Am I wrong about that?

At times its very on the nose with the Star Trek tropes but it sort of veers in and out of drama too. Right now I'm not finding the mix especially pleasing, its just sort of OK. It's not irreverent enough to be taken solely as a spoof, its just sort of in this weird middle ground. I think each episode has actually gotten a little bit worse so far too, episode 3 had me reaching for my phone.

so safe to say it's NOT galaxy quest?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 22, 2017, 00:12 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Sep 21, 2017, 16:55:
Yeah,no. Ctrl alt del was fine just as it was.

it was the nuclear option of windows debugging; it really needed to be hard to hit accidentally.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 10, 2017, 23:36 1badmf

Creston wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 22:33:
Kxmode wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 15:11:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 10, 2017, 15:02:
How to steer a spacecraft into Saturn

I can't wait to see these pics. Incredible.

It's not going to get far. The pressurized hydrogen is going to crush it like a grape within mere seconds of entry.

It depends on what you consider "entry." If you're talking about the absolute edge of the clouds, then no, since they're essentially just whisps. The pressure doesn't start until deeper in, and it's going to take Cassini a little while to get down there. But yeah, once the pressure builds, it's not going to last very long.

Quite frankly, I don't think we'll get much, if any, pics from within the cloud parts. It'll be too dark and too much interference for the signal to get back, but hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

i hope it can take a video. would love to see first person view of falling into the cloud tops of a gas giant as its rings glitter in the dark off the planet's shoulder.

29. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 8, 2017, 18:24 1badmf

Blue wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 16:40:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 14:23:
Blue wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:08:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 13:00:
RedEye9 wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 12:46:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 8, 2017, 12:38:
For parts of Florida, Hurricane Irma offers a worst-case scenario.

But hey, global warming is a hoax, so I'm gonna keep rollin' coal in my Hummer.
The good thing about global warming is that NOAA will have to add extra categories to the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.
5 ain't cutting it anymore.

There are practical reasons to do so. Buildings rated for cat-5 hurricanes that were built to withstand 185 mph winds were demolished by the 240 mph (!) gusts of Irma.

?

I'm guessing KPH and MPH got crossed to get that 240 total. 240 KPH = 150 MPH.

Not a metric convusion error, but not 240 either. It was 225 mph from this story.

With a tightly defined eye, high maximum winds and gusts of up to 195 knots or 225 mph Irma has left weather forecasters flabbergasted.

That's the only such reference I can find. Everywhere else seems to agree on 185 MPH.

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/hurricane-irma-extremes-records

185 sustained winds. if there were a cat6 definition this would've been it. gusts are always much higher so 225 seems reasonable.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 6, 2017, 00:25 1badmf

LaxerFL wrote on Sep 5, 2017, 23:42:
I live in South West Florida and we are in the center of the "cone"! Pretty much, whichever model this storm follows I am SOL. So, tomorrow, we are packing up the 2 dogs and whatever clothes and whatnot we can, and hitting the road. We have family in New Jersey so I think we will shoot for there. I'd rather drive more than try to find a hotel/motel room for 2 adults, 1 kid, and 2 80+lbs dogs!

Wish us luck! I'm hoping by leaving a few days early we can avoid any major traffic issues getting out of this god forsaken state!
Lax

you might wanna go somewhere further west. there's a chance this thing just rips up the entire eastern seaboard.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 1, 2017, 18:46 1badmf

jdreyer wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 14:04:
fishingtime wrote on Sep 1, 2017, 12:12:
Antidepressants found in fish brains in Great Lakes region.

So Alex Jones was right again?

Um, it's been known for a couple decades that drugs have been entering the water supply via sewage treatment and other means. Here's an article from 2008, for example.

You need to consume a better variety of media.

And for those of you who want a good laugh, John Oliver gave Alex Jones the treatment a couple of weeks ago.

that segment really exposed jones as nothing but a snake oil salesman scamming the idiot right wingers. it's really somewhat brilliant - he feeds and confirms their paranoia and they're 'supporting' the cause by buying his products. i had no idea he sold his own line of household goods until oliver's segment. apparently the products are his primary business, but no one bought them until he started spewing the conspiracy theory bullshit. i'm pretty sure he doesn't believe what he's spewing, he's just happy to take their money. 21st century version of a faith healer/televangelist.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 29, 2017, 18:24 1badmf

what's that samsung dohicky in the middle of your desK?  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 26, 2017, 18:21 1badmf

Hoop wrote on Aug 26, 2017, 17:43:
I had no idea that the Air Canada plane only cleared the stacked aircraft on the ground by just 69 feet. WTF
The only thing that betrays any kind of panic is the clipped speed of air traffic controls "Air Canada go around"
Kind of surreal how the pilot's voice stays in character as he powers on with no time to spare.
Even though his response is calm you can hear the I'am so fucked filling his head.
Mistakes on both sides but that Air Canada crew needs to be assigned new jobs loading planes not flying them.

that is a fucking frightening story. holy shit. based on everything i've read i don't see how ATC is at fault. it was on the pilots for ignoring the broadcast that 28L was off, as well as for some unfathomable reason not realizing that blue taxiway lights are not white runway lights. read the wiki in air canada 759 it has a few more facts.

if ever you could hear someone dropping a massive shit in the sound of the voice, ATC's 'i saw that guys' was it.

1494 Comments. 75 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo