Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2621 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2016, 19:18 jimnms

Her phone was unlocked and he took pictures of the pictures on her phone with his phone, and he's being charged with Computer Crimes?  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 4, 2016, 00:00 jimnms

The FBI doesn't need Apple's help to crack the encrypted phone. They have the phone, all they have to do is remove the storage chip and use one of the govt.'s super computers to brute force it. The FBI is doing this for the media coverage to get support for having back doors in any encrypted device.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Dead Island Definitive Edition Announced
3. Re: Dead Island Definitive Edition Announced Mar 3, 2016, 23:47 jimnms

I started the first game playing coop with a friend. It wasn't the greatest game in the world, but I thought it was fun. Then one day my friend decides he doesn't like it and didn't want to play it anymore. It wasn't as fun playing by myself, so I quit playing too.

I don't know if playing coop first made the SP aspect of it boring to me, or would I have had the same opinion of it had I played it SP first.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 3, 2016, 23:22 jimnms

The last time I bought a hard drive was 4 years ago when I built a new Media Center PC. I could have re-used the old HDD from the machine it was replacing, but it had been running 24/7 for over 5 years and I wanted to upgrade the storage capacity. The old drive from the Media Center PC replaced my old drive which I use in an external dock as my primary backup (I have a secondary backup drive which is kept in a fire safe).

Even though I plan to build a new system soon, I don't need to buy a new HDD. I will upgrade to a larger SSD in the new system, but the HDD will move to the new system.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Security & Trading Update
3. Re: Steam Security & Trading Update Mar 3, 2016, 22:48 jimnms

Dev wrote on Mar 3, 2016, 07:33:
I think they mean "we are tired of restoring items if you get hacked, so as of that date we will no longer bother"

That's fine with me, but why are they punishing people with mandatory 15 day waiting periods for trades/market transactions for not using the mobile authenticator? Currently the mobile app only supports Android, iOS and certain mobile carriers, which leaves a lot of people unable to use it even if they have a smart phone.

If you get hacked, you're going to lose your items anyway, so why not give people the option to opt out of using the mobile authentication and disable the waiting period?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Security & Trading Update
1. Re: Steam Security & Trading Update Mar 2, 2016, 19:49 jimnms

Are they trying to kill off the market and trading?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 1, 2016, 14:07 jimnms

I don't want to live on this planet any more.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Feb 29, 2016, 00:29 jimnms

I had the same thought about the game. My father died of cancer when I was in high school and my mother was recently diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing treatment. I've dealt with and dealing with enough of it in real life, so I have no desire to play a game about it.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 29, 2016, 00:12 jimnms

"The only way this is going to get fixed is by executive order from President Trump," he said.

I'd rather lose my job than have that fucker as president.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Season Pass Tops Steam Top 10
14. Re: Fallout 4 Season Pass Tops Steam Top 10 Feb 28, 2016, 23:57 jimnms

PHJF wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 10:53:
Just started playing the FONV DLC (yeah so I don't generally give a fuck about DLC, wanna fight about it?). Honest Hearts was absolutely abysmal. Like the shittiest modder's abortive first attempt at original content.

It wasn't the best DLC for NV, but it wasn't bad. The best part of that DLC is the exploration. If you just do the quests and nothing else, you miss half of the story. You find out the true story of the tribes by exploring and reading the notes and stuff left behind.

Everyone raves about Old World Blues, but I didn't find it all that great. To me it ranks about the same as Honest Hearts. The dialog with the robots is great, but the rest of it is meh. The setting is nice, but there was too much back tracking. It seemed to go on forever, and after a while I was just hoping that it would be over soon so I could leave. I also didn't like that the "rewards" for completing it were OP.

My personal favorite was Dead Money, especially in hardcore mode where you take constant damage outside. I love it when a DLC takes you out of your comfort zone and removes all of your items and makes you start from scratch too.

The worst, IMO, is Lonesome Road. To me it just doesn't fit. The first thing I hated was that it shoehorns in a back story for your character in the middle of the game. My first game with the DLC, I had created a back story for my character where I was from somewhere West in California, and I signed on to the courier service to get out and see the world. I had only done local jobs close to home and the job deliver the chip to Vegas was my first big job taking me farther than I'd been before. Then I get to this DLC and this crazy guy is telling me I've been here before and delivered a package that caused the destruction of The Divide. That totally ruined it for me because for me, I (my character) had never been very far from home, and the game/story is now telling me that I have. There was no option to convince him that he had mistaken me for someone else, I either had to admit my mistake and talk him down or kill him. I chose to kill him because I wasn't going to take the blame for something I didn't do.

This DLC felt like something Bethesda wrote, not Obsidian. The level design was nice, but the story was linear and the only decisions you make come at the end. It also had some stupid moments along the way that were Fallout 3 levels of stupid. There was the part where you had to launch a nuke in order to open a door, and the launch console was right there, outside, at ground level instead of in an underground bunker. Then it had that Fallout 3 feel because you're trying to reach this guy that somehow got through this stuff and I'm having to get though all of these obstacle while he somehow got through without a problem.

MeanJim on Steam

10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 25, 2016, 17:55 jimnms

I've used Handbrake to create movies from DVD/BR disks. I don't know if it can bypass the DRM since I had AnyDVD HD running when I ripped movies. Usually when I rip a movie, I'm shrinking it down to put on a tablet where I don't have the space for a full size rip or need 1080p video. If Handbrake doesn't bypass the DRM and AnyDVD can't decrypt it due to not having updated certificates, that means now I'll have to rip with MakeMKV, then run it through Handbrake, which will just take more time.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > The Flame in the Flood Released
5. Re: The Flame in the Flood Released Feb 25, 2016, 17:23 jimnms

I saw the release stream of this on GOG's Twitch channel. It looks like fun, and kind of reminds me of Don't Starve.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Shadwen Demo; Playing Lowers Game's Price
7. Re: Shadwen Demo; Playing Lowers Game's Price Feb 25, 2016, 15:42 jimnms

AlexSledge wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 11:59:
This isn't really a stealth game, but a stop motion puzzler similar to Braid, only in 3D wrapped in the illusion of a stealth game. Anyone looking for a true Thief sequel will need to continue their wait.

There is an option to disable the stop motion and let it run in real time.

MeanJim on Steam

8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 25, 2016, 15:35 jimnms

nin wrote on Feb 24, 2016, 21:11:
Sad to hear about slysoft. Would be a little surprised if it doesn't popup again elsewhere. If not, it's been a great run...

I bought AnyDVD HD lifetime a long time ago and still use it to watch movies. I originally bought it because my BR player didn't recognize my monitor as HDCP even though it was, but it recognizes my current one. I still use it because I like that it can auto skip the annoying trailers and shit and just let me watch the damn movie.

If they can't get back in business somewhere else, I hope they'll release their code as opens ource so it can continue.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 01:39 jimnms

Creston wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 14:57:
Fair enough, but I was talking about car engines. With the current emissions standards, Diesel engines aren't going to be "clean."

Diesel engines in cars and light duty trucks are still a lot more efficient than an equivalent gasoline engine. Diesel engines put out way less CO2 per mile, and under current regulations only a fraction more NOx.

No, they most specifically did NOT pass these emissions tests without cheating, that is in fact the entire point. They slid into cheat mode to pass the emissions tests, and then go on the road, turn off cheat mode, and happily spew waaaaay more crap than is allowed.

If they didn't pass emissions certification they never would have been allowed on the road to begin with. The cars CAN and DID pass the tests. They don't cheat to pass the emissions, they cheat to improve mileage and performance by switching off the emissions equipment after they've been tested. The software was supposed to detect when it was being tested and switch on the emissions equipment, then when it's not being tested it turns off the emissions equipment to get better power and fuel economy.

It is expensive, that's why they don't go with it. It costs a lot to install, and the blue liquid is pretty pricey too.

It's not any more expensive than any other emissions equipment, and it's not like they don't have the tech since they use it on other diesel vehicles, hell they used it in the Passat a few years ago.

The exhaust fluid is expensive for what it is, 1/3 urea and 2/3 water, but it's not that expensive to buy. It probably costs a few cents per gallon to make, but since it's an emissions related component they probably get away with charging a premium for it. I searched local parts stores and found 2.5 gallon jugs for under $8, but you can buy it for under $3/gal from the pumps at truck stops and they're cropping up at regular pumps as well. The exhaust fluid is used at a 50:1 ratio, so in a car getting 40 MPG, 1 gallon of exhaust fluid will last 2000 miles, or to put it another way, it costs less than 2 tenths of a cent per mile.

? So first you say they didn't cheat, and now you say they did cheat. Btw, I think you have the entire way of the cheat mechanism turned out, but I honestly can't be bothered to go read through the hundreds of reports on this junk again, so eh. :)

Is English not your primary language? I never said they didn't cheat.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
15. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 22, 2016, 18:04 jimnms

Creston wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 14:27:
The reality is simply that Diesel engines need to go away. There is no such thing as a "clean diesel." There is no such thing as a marginally dirty diesel. There is only filthy diesel.

So much ignorance. Rubeyes The problem isn't with diesel engines, the problem is with petroleum based diesel fuel. Not all "diesel fuel" is the same, and diesel engines can be run on a variety of different fuels. You just can't replace diesel engines. Diesel engines have the highest thermal efficiency of any type of combustion engine. Most gasoline engine are around 20% efficient. The diesel engines powering generators, large ships and trains can reach as high as 50-60% efficiency. If you replaced all diesel engines with gasoline engines, you'd create an even bigger problem.

You're also forgetting that these VW engines already passed the emissions tests when they were certified and weren't cheating. There are many ways to clean diesel exhaust, the most common is to use an exhaust fluid which reacts with the NOx and breaks it down into water and nitrogen. The exhaust fluid method works and doesn't impact performance or mileage, and not much of it is needed so the the exhaust fluid only needs topping off during an oil change. For some reason VW decided to go with a NOx trap instead, which traps the NOx and periodically burns it off, but during this cycle the engine is less powerful and consumes more fuel. Then they decided to cheat and turn off this cycle to keep the engines from losing power and fuel economy.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Cutting Cable? Feb 16, 2016, 21:11 jimnms

I'm seriously considering ditching cable TV. The Walking Dead started back Sunday and Better Call Saul Monday. I DVR them, then went to watch it tonight and instead found that AMC is no longer on the channel lineup and has been replaced by another fucking sports channel and it recorded a rodeo instead. I'm actually getting burned out on TWD, but BCS and and a few other shows I was looking forward to watching. I was able to watch TWD on AMC.com, and it looks like I'll be able to watch BCS too.

I took a look at what I record and actually watch, and everything I watch is all on just about half a dozen channels, three of which I can get OTA. After Mythbusters finishes this season, there will be nothing left on Discovery worth watching, so that leaves me with 4 cable channels I watch. Everything I watch on one of them is available free on their site, so that brings it down to three channels, one of which is gone now. The majority of what I watch happens to be on two channels, SyFy and AMC, and now without AMC in the lineup I'm essentially paying for cable for two channels. Some of the SyFy shows go on Amazon or Netflix right after the end of the season, but not all.

My cable TV and internet are bundled, for which I pay about $120/mo. I think the internet part is $49/mo, but will go up without the cable bundle.

Out of curiosity, I took a look at AT&T since they're always trying to get me to switch to them. They have AMC in their $29/mo package, which looks like it also has everything I currently get and a couple of channels I would like (and a shit load that I don't). That $29/mo requires a 2 year contract, and after adding the hidden fees comes out to right about $75/mo. That price is only for the first 12 months. After that it goes up to $113/mo! Fuck that.

The only thing that worries me is that my internet isn't the most reliable. When it goes down, it's nice to have shows recorded on the DVR to pass the time until they get their shit fixed.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2016, 18:36 jimnms

I use the Scroll Lock key for the Steam Overlay. I got tired of accidentally opening it when playing FPSes where I hold shift to walk/run and use TAB for things. Scroll Lock made since because it wouldn't conflict with anything.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 28, 2016, 20:40 jimnms

This might save disk space, but it can use up extra bandwidth if you have capped internet. If you remove those redist files, and a game has an update, it notices that those files are missing and re-downloads them, meaning larger downloads and a longer time to update.

Steam really needs to just have a global redist directory that stores common redistributable files for games to call upon if/when needed.

GOG is about as bad since they started including redists in the installers. There was one game that I have that was only a few MB. There was an update, and all of the sudden the installer grew to 300MB because they included redists in the installer. They could simply include links to them on the download page and let me download them if needed.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access
34. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access Jan 27, 2016, 21:34 jimnms

Ceribaen wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 19:16:
250 is where physical rewards gains beta access.
150 is where the CE physical tier sits.
75 is where digital gains beta access.
20 is the buy in for KS backers who do not currently have beta access.
44 and change is the buy in for EA entrants.
Also, as I recall, it was 20 was the initial tier for a digital copy with no access to betas.

There was a post KS late backer tier at $55 that included beta access. The Torment KS tiers are inconsistent with the WL2 and Bards tale projects, which included beta at the digital and physical collectors editions and up.

It doesn't bother me, if I had access to the beta, like I did with WL2, all I would have done is run through character creation a few times trying different builds. I can understand why some people are upset, but not the extent to which some are upset, throwing tantrums and demanding refunds. With WL2, after 6 months in early access they opened the Beta to all backers, so they'll probably do the same for Torment at some point.

Ceribaen wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 21:30:
Let's not split hairs on 'early access' vs 'beta'...

Early access is the Beta. Backers just got it a week earlier than the public. The Early Access (beta) is not even the full game, it's just the beginning areas which is consists of around the first hour or so of the game.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2016, 21:41.

MeanJim on Steam

2621 Comments. 132 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo