Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage https://steamcommunity.com/id/meanjim
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2825 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
28. Re: Emergency Monitor Recommendations May 9, 2017, 23:54 MeanJim

Pigeon wrote on May 9, 2017, 19:47:
I've been thinking of making a similar move. Gsync is better, though I don't know how noticeably better, and the quality control is better. Apparently there are varying degrees as to how well monitor manufactures implement free-sync. On the other hand free-sync is about ~$200-$250 cheaper and should be a noticeable step up form what you have. There was a video posted a few days back doing, sort of, an apples to apples comparison between the two.

I'm kind of waiting for the 2nd gen of 1440p IPS G-sync displays to come out. Ideally I'd like to see one with HDR and the backlight bleed issues taken care of. Unfortunately the monitor manufactures seem to be pushing 4k right now for gaming monitors, so I'm not sure how much love 1440p is going to get. The only 2nd gen 1440p monitor I've seen announced was from Acer, and had a curved screen and eye-tracking, both things I have little interest in. Anyways I'm feeling ya, the adaptive sync market is a bit wonky right now, and the idea of dropping $800 on a monitor where features can only be used with one brand of video card has stopped me from pulling the trigger numerous times.

EDIT: Here's the Link that was posted on blues a few days ago.
EDIT 2: And to add to the confusion FreeSync 2 is now a thing.

I saw that video a few days ago. I used to alternate between nvidia and AMD because they used to be closely matched and it just happened that when it was time to upgrade my GPU, it was the other brand that was winning. My last 4 GPUs have been nvidia though. The last time it wasn't by choice though. I bought an AMD, I forget the numbering (I think it was 47xx). After I put the card in, I saw the POST then my monitor just went to standby as the system booted up. I returned the card thinking it was defective, but the replacement was the same. I read on some forums of some people having the same issue with the card only when using DVI, so I tried the VGA port and it worked. I tried different DVI cables as suggested, but I couldn't get it to work with my monitor. I returned it and got the nvidia equivalent at the time (GTX 260 I think) which was more expensive for slightly less performance.

Since then nvidia was always the best performer for the price when it was time to upgrade. I'm still not sure I want to get a g-sync display and lock myself into nvidia cards given that I don't upgrade my display that often.

It seems like every high refresh rate display has either g-sync or free-sync in it. I haven't found a simple 1440p 144hz display without either. I've been looking all night and haven't been able to decide on something. I hate making a rush purchase, and I'm out of time now. I need to go to bed and I have to decide if I'm going to shut my system down and hope the monitor comes on tomorrow or leave the whole thing running just to keep the display powered on.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

15. Emergency Monitor Recommendations May 9, 2017, 18:00 MeanJim

My current monitor has been acting up for a while. Sometimes when it wakes up on after being in standby for a while, the left side of the screen flickers, but it always stopped after a minute.

I've been putting off getting a new one for a while as it's never been more than a little flicker for a bit every now and then, but just now it had only been off (standby) for an hour or so. When I woke it up, it flickered for a few seconds, then the bottom left corner went dark. Luckily turning it off and back on lit it back up, but now I really need to get a new one before this one gets worse since I don't have a backup.

I hoped this one would last a while longer until some sort of standard came out of GSync and FreeSync, but it appears that won't happen. I currently have a 24" 1080p 60Hz display. I'm thinking of going up to 27" 1440p and 144Hz. I just built a new machine, but kept my old GPU (GTX 970) since it could run everything I have maxed out at 1080p 60fps. I'm a bit concerned that the GTX 970 can't handle some games at that 1440p and upscaling generally looks like shit.

I'm not loyal to nvidia or AMD, but I'd hate to lock myself into one brand by buying a GSync or FreeSync monitor. So this is kind of where I've been stuck in my decision making process. I can just grab a 24" 1080p monitor a lot cheaper and wait for some sort of xSync standard, or go ahead and upgrade now to a larger, higher resolution, higher refresh display with GSync (since I'm already on nvidia).

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Stellaris Turns One: Digital Anniversary Edition and Free Portrait Pack Released
6. Re: Stellaris Turns One: Digital Anniversary Edition and Free Portrait Pack Released May 9, 2017, 14:54 MeanJim

Cutter wrote on May 9, 2017, 12:52:
Still waiting on this thing to hit $20 at least before I even consider buying it.

It's been on sale for $20 before, so why don't you have it already? The game was only $35 on Steam at release with the 10% release discount. I splurged and bought it at release. I got it for around $30 from GMG.

Paradox stays active on their games for a long time supporting them with expansions and DLC, so if you're waiting for an "everything" pack for $20, you will be a long time.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Game Reviews
6. Re: Game Reviews May 7, 2017, 00:11 MeanJim

Caladell wrote on May 6, 2017, 23:28:
I need to reinstall Conquistador. Got distracted with other stuff, and never got very far into it. Really enjoyed what I played though.

Same here. I was just going to try it out one night. Like I do with many RPGs, I start it up to check out character creation and maybe play a little bit of it. With Conquistador, I got sucked in for over 6 hours. I finally had to stop to go to bed, but I've been wanting to come back to it and play more serious. With the release of Expeditions: Viking, Conquistador moved up my back log list.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
7. Re: Into the Black May 4, 2017, 19:40 MeanJim

This is why roads are the worst place for an emergency landing. When I got my pilots license, every instructor I flew with all taught the same thing, only go for a road as a last resort. Not only are power lines and utility poles a hazard that are hard to see until it's too late, you put motorist in danger as well. Although, looking at where this happened on Google Maps, there wasn't much else to chose from, and the short distance from the airport, there was not much time to make a decision.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: Starcraft source code May 4, 2017, 17:43 MeanJim

Creston wrote on May 3, 2017, 22:59:
It's amazing how few shits devs give about their source codes for games.

I'm pretty sure most devs care about their code, but they don't always own the code they write.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Prey System Specs
23. Re: Prey System Specs Apr 30, 2017, 02:23 MeanJim

Jerykk wrote on Apr 29, 2017, 00:47:
It's not really a formula if there's only one questionable example of it (Fallout). You're also conveniently forgetting that Interplay was already ruining the Fallout brand long before Bethesda bought it. Remember Fallout Tactics? How about Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel? Or the canceled Van Buren? Or Fallout Online? Bethesda's purchase of the IP resulted in New Vegas, which is a far better outcome than anything Interplay was doing with the series.

Fallout Tactics wasn't that bad. It was an action RPG and was never was meant to be a story heavy, choice and consequences type RPG. I bought it a few years ago on GOG for a few bucks. I actually enjoyed it, but I went into not expecting it to be on the same level as Fallout and Fallout 2. A lot of story content from Van Buren made its way into Fallout New Vegas. After that, Interplay was just a name only. The founders and employees responsible for all of their good games had left, and the asshats that bought the Interplay name are the ones responsible for the console shovelware Fallout: BOS and Fallout Online.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Rising Storm 2: Vietnam Specs and Deluxe Edition Preorders
3. Re: Rising Storm 2: Vietnam Specs and Deluxe Edition Preorders Apr 28, 2017, 19:50 MeanJim

I'd rather see them use the money on the game than license music that people wont listen to anyway. I don't even remember if the other Rising Storm games had music. The only Tripwire game I remember the music from is Killing Floor.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Prey System Specs
21. Re: Prey System Specs Apr 28, 2017, 19:35 MeanJim

Hump wrote on Apr 28, 2017, 13:36:
Their insistence to call this game "Prey" reminds when MS insisted that the FPS game be called "Shadowrun" when, in fact, it was nothing like the original. Shadowrun, while a decent MP game, failed due to labeling a well loved IP something that should never have been. Unless Prey is something amazing, I predict its imminent failure as well.

Isn't that the Bethesda formula? Create an unrelated game that could stand on its own, but instead they buy a popular IP and slap its name on it and basically ruin both.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Scanner Sombre This Week
6. Re: Scanner Sombre This Week Apr 25, 2017, 18:44 MeanJim

ViRGE wrote on Apr 25, 2017, 02:10:
Huh, this came out of nowhere. Introversion stuff is usually fun, so I'll definitely have to check it out once it's released.

They announced it about a year ago after "finishing" Prison Architect.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Take-Two shuts down Red Dead Redemption mod for Grand Theft Auto V Apr 23, 2017, 18:33 MeanJim

If Take-Two are smart, they would hire them and will give them what they need to do it properly.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
23. No subject Apr 23, 2017, 14:30 MeanJim

John Deere, you just guaranteed that I will never own or license anything from your company, ever.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Apr 17, 2017, 23:08 MeanJim

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 21:02:
Steam Competitor
Please be Amazon
Please be Amazon
Please be Amazon

The best orgasms of you life lost to electronic gadgets, there are going to be a lot of grumpy 60 year olds.

Amazon owns Twitch, witch is now selling games, but I don't see that being a big competitor to Steam.

Creston wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 21:57:
It's not Amazon, it's TenCent. We'll see how it turns out.

They can't be that massive, I've never heard of them before now.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 17, 2017, 23:00 MeanJim

Cutter wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 22:11:
Well, technically he's right. If the internet went out forever tomorrow people would survive.

You can say that about anything, electricity, cars, phones, credit cards etc., but let me see you try and live without them.

MeanJim on Steam

3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 14:48 MeanJim

Never mind, I just figured it out.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Apr 14, 2017, 17:50 MeanJim

I've seen some 0% games before, most with just a few reviews, but I've seen some with quite a few reviews too. I'm sure they had some sort of minimum number of review requirements for their picks.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Microsoft finally says goodbye to Windows Vista. Apr 12, 2017, 00:48 MeanJim

I managed to pick up a copy of Vista Home x64 way back when CompUSA closed down. I went in there on the last day when everything was 90% off. I never got around to installing it, and it's still sitting, unopened, on my shelf.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 7, 2017, 23:41 MeanJim

SirKnight wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 20:20:
I am disappointed to see 3rd Rock from the Sun was removed (it's a Fox show). This is actually the second time this show was removed.

Years ago Netflix had Married with Children and King of the Hill, two other of my favorite shows, but went away and have not come back. They are also Fox shows.

WTF is up with Netflix and Fox?

This is why I hesitate to begin watching a TV series on Netflix. I worry that it will get removed before I can finish it. Also, with FOX's history of canceling good, new shows after one season, I won't even begin watching something on FOX until it has at least two full seasons out.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 5, 2017, 20:18 MeanJim

sdgundamx wrote on Apr 4, 2017, 20:45:
Thank fucking god. It's about goddamn time Congress did something about this. As someone who has to cross the border once or twice a year, I really applaud this. It's gotten to the point where I don't even want to bring any electronics with me anymore. According to the news stories, they will strongarm you into giving up any password protection you might have (i.e. threaten to "detain" you for further investigation which will of course seriously fuck up your travel plans). If you cooperate, then they'll take your electronics to another room and god knows what they do with it. They could, for all we know, copy every fucking thing stored on the computer including emails, photos, web history, etc.

The thing is, as it stands right now the search of electronic devices at the border without a warrant is probably not constitutional but who has the money or time to demand a lawyer and get sidelined for what will probably take months or even years to get a win in court?

Fixed that for ya.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Link of the Day Mar 25, 2017, 03:33 MeanJim

rawbelly wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 21:32:
THinks makes me want to rent forever lol

What makes you think this stuff wouldn't happen to a rental. If anything, a cheapskate landlord would be the one more likely to hire shoddy labor and end up with crap like this. At least if you own, you can do it yourself or hire competent labor and make sure it's done right.

MeanJim on Steam

2825 Comments. 142 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo