Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage https://steamcommunity.com/id/meanjim
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2823 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced
17. Re: Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced Jun 14, 2017, 19:22 MeanJim

Suppa7 wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 11:04:
The problem is the game is rushed. The game really isn't worth the money because it is so short and it's just feels like a cash in after the kickstarter madness every old developer thought meant they could simply easily cash in by making half baked old CRPG's.

This wasn't kickstarted. Tyranny is a Paradox title developed by Obsidion. It has nothing to do with Pillars or Kickstarter.

Agent-Zero wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 11:15:
I figured it would be another situation of a Directors Cut + DLC update...

and here it is

BTW this shit is now the norm for Obsidian and InXile apparently... so Im going to regard it as such..

This is the norm for Paradox. Like I said above, Tyranny is a Paradox game. Paradox is well known for their DLC. Pillars had two expansions announced before the kickstarter ended. None of InXile's kickstarted games have had DLC. The Waseland 2 Directors cut that included a lot of new content was free. They've already said any DLC or new content for Torment will be free as well.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced
16. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 14, 2017, 18:57 MeanJim

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 09:50:
Anyone tried Tyranny? I must not have even noticed it when it was released. Looks kinda interesting.

I enjoyed it. A lot of the negative reviews I see about it mainly come from people going in expecting a large, deep open world RPG like Pillars. This is more like a choose your own adventure RPG. You can't see and do everything in one play through. During main quests, you're generally given two to three choices of locations to go to. Sometimes you can only go to one or two of them, sometimes going to one will open up another option, but you can't do all of them.

Depending on your choices along the way, some locations won't become available at all and some will close off. There was one location that was marked on my map, but it never was available to me. After I finished the game, I looked up the full map on the official wiki and there are a lot of areas that weren't available to me based on the path I chose. The reason I wasn't able to go to that marked area was because in an earlier part of the main quests I had to chose between going to two locations. In that part, I was able to go to both, but this quest depended on the order you visited them as to whether or not that third location opened up. There was another chance for me to get to it later, but the choices I made to resolve that quest meant it wasn't necessary.

This game is shorter than a typical RPG, but anyone finishing in 20-30 hours is rushing through an missing a lot of things. All main quests and most side quests are tracked in the journal, but there are a lot of hidden quests and even parts to and main and side quests that you can find if you notice the clues and put them together. My first play through was over 100 hours. There is a lot of (optional) lore to read, which I read and enjoyed.

There are hidden quests and parts of side and main quests that don't show up in your journal, and I was quite surprised that they reward you for thinking for yourself instead relying on just following the journal all the time. One of these hidden parts related to a main quest that opened up if you found a certain note. If you read the note and are observant, you'll realize it refers to this quest. Reading the note doesn't add any extra objectives to your journal, but it has the description of a location. If you find that location and find another clue, the clue points you to a person that you could have already talked to or would meet later. I had already talked to this person and knew who it was referring to. After finding those clues, when I went back and talked to that person, there was now an option to ask them about it, which gives you yet another clue which required you to once again use your brain to figure out where to go to put all the pieces together. I enjoyed that a lot. Out of curiosity, I skimmed a few let's plays on YouTube and of the people that found that note all but one didn't notice it was a clue to that quest. The one that did notice it, made a comment about how it sounded like it could be part of the quest, but when he checked his journal and didn't see anything about it, brushed it off.

The ending does seem like it was cut short. The first act is fairly short, but the 2nd act is fairly long. Then the final act comes, and it seems like they had plans for more but then it's just over. It doesn't ruin the game as a while though.

Minor spoilers below:
Throughout the game, you gain power by finding artifacts and defeating arcons. You use this power to cast edicts of your own. You are forced to cast edicts at two points in the game, but outside of those two, I never felt the need to cast another. The edicts aid you in battle, but usually have a drawback that didn't seem worth it.

After Act 2, new research options opened up at the library to research new edicts, but by then I had already used my supplies researching other things, but if I had the supplies I don't think there was enough time to research them before the game ended. It seems like they intended for there to be more due to the amount of power I had and the number of edicts that could be unlocked, but cut it short due to time or maybe to sell expansions later (it is a Paradox game after all).

Major spoilers below:
The story and writing overall was good, but there were a few instances that didn't make sense. The most glaring one was if you chose the rebel path. I chose to side with the rebels to end the edict because it seemed the most logical way since the two arcons were busy bickering with one another. To end the edict, one of the arcons or a member of the court has to claim the Ascension Hall. When you meet the rebels at Ascension Hall, the two arcons are right behind you and will try to claim the place. By enlisting the help of the rebels, you're the only person that can end the edict, but instead of rushing inside to claim the Hall and end the edict, you have to risk your life by staying outside and fighting off the assault. Sure it would have been boring if you just ran inside quickly and claimed the Hall, ending the edict, but they should have come up with a good reason for you to have to stay outside and personally repel the attack. There were a couple of other places I could nitpick, but it's really very few.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 21:01 MeanJim

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 18:39:
Let's all just remember that SIN actually was a thing once, had a episodic game made, and promised it's buyers that there'd be 9 episodes

Episodes delivered?
Oh yeah, 1 really buggy mess.

What bugs? I bought it at release and enjoyed it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 8, 2017, 00:12 MeanJim

Next time I print sensitive data to leak to the press, I'll remove the yellow toner cartridge first.  

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2017, 00:43 MeanJim

DG wrote on Jun 3, 2017, 18:09:
Hmm, pretty sure I'd read something science-y that dogs can tilt their heads to more precisely locate the origin of a sound.

That's what I thought too.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 2, 2017, 21:10 MeanJim

I thought Sense8 was pretty good, but I thought it was canceled a long time ago when over a year passed after the release of the 1st season without any new episodes. When the 2-hour holiday episode came out of the blue, I didn't watch it (yet) because I'd pretty much forgotten about the show. It's also two hours long and I just haven't found myself in the mood to sit and watch something that long. Now that it's canceled, I don't think I even want to watch it now knowing it will just end.

I'm not only about to cut the cord, I think I'm just going to give up on TV completely. I hesitate to get involved in any new show (especially if it's on FOX) because I find a show I like and it gets canned after one season or if it makes it past a first season, it gets canned suddenly without closure.

I've become hesitant to start watching shit on Netflix too because of the way shit disappears suddenly. I've got shit in my queue that are several seasons long that I'd like to watch, but I don't want to get started only to have Netflix drop it before I finish.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 2, 2017, 20:51 MeanJim

MacLeod wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 19:00:
Now they just need to do this on mobile... because I can't tell you how many sites I've just given up visiting on my phone because they're impossible to browse with either slow loading ads that pop up over everything and no way to close for an extended length of time. Or my real favorite... the ones that just redirect to a site that you can't go back from to get to the original article you were trying to read. Like WTF point is having ads on your site if they literally redirect people off the site with no way to go back.

Firefox mobile + uBlock Origin will solve that.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2017, 14:47 MeanJim

Pigeon wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 10:46:
Picked up an Asus 27" 1440p IPS over the memorial day weekend. Had been hoping to see improved versions with HDR and better back light bleed control coming out, but the manufactures seem to be focused on curved screens and 35" monstrosities. Speaking of back light bled, it's there, but I only notice it when staring at a black screen, which has only occurred when I purposely created a black screen to look for bleeding. I can't say it's made me a better FPS player, but at least some of those, 'how the fuck did they see me' moments are understandable now. Turns out, bigger screen + better colors and light levels = easier to distinguish targets.

I bought an Acer 1440p 144Hz IPS display a couple of weeks ago. I'd hadn't planned to buy a new monitor so soon, but a sudden crap out forced me to. If you got the ASUS I think you got, it has the same panel that the Acer I bought has. Yes the back light bleed is there if you look for it, but it's not noticeable when gaming or watching movies.

Overall I like the monitor, but I kind of wish I'd gone with a cheaper 24" 1080p and waited to "upgrade" later.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Old Steam Forums Closing
13. Re: Old Steam Forums Closing May 31, 2017, 06:40 MeanJim

Suppa7 wrote on May 30, 2017, 23:53:
LOL you're talking about gabe newell, the man who trojan horsed his way to a billion dollar steam store by basically stealing game ownership of half-life / CS by inserting DRM into it to get an "instant market" for his big plan to sell games and spy on his own customers by forcing drm crapware into every fucking game.

The man is a fucking menace not some savior of gaming, valve was always fucking evil and the drm into half-life proved it. Gabe newell was a former microsoft executive who's motto was "extend, embrace, extinguish"

Half-Life 2 and CS:S don't use the Steamworks DRM.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 May 30, 2017, 16:50 MeanJim

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 29, 2017, 19:44:
Add me in the rockstar launcher (MordecaiWalfish, without the space) if you want to do the heists. I had only really gone through them once or twice when they released. I can get a couple reliables to fill out the empty spots on our team if you don't have anyone else in mind. I'm down to start from the beginning or wherever you're at on them.

I sent a friend invite. My friend hasn't done any of the heists, so we'd just need a couple of people to fill in. I've done some of them with other people hosting, then when I got a place of my own I hosted them from the beginning. Although after yesterday, my friend may not want to play for a while. We were having fun doing the new Lamar missions. I did them myself last weekend and suggested he try them. We didn't have any problem up until the last mission. It took several tries during the first part to get people to realize we had to split up in pairs to steal two cars. My friend and I were using in-game voice, the others either had it turned off and weren't hearing us or just being dipshits. Finally when we got past that part, people kept quitting after dying a few times in the final gun fight.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
7. Re: Steam Top 10 May 29, 2017, 01:10 MeanJim

Was there a sale on GTA V this weekend? I decided to fire it up and play some GTA Online this weekend since it's been a long time. I played the new missions from Lamar and some of the new races. I didn't see any blatant cheating like I saw the last time I played, but there were a couple of people exploiting places in races to skip huge chunks of the track. I still came in 2nd place and set the lap record on one despite two people taking advantage of the exploit.

Does no one from the Blues Crew play anymore? I never finished the heist missions. I played them with Blues Crew back when it first came out, but everyone (including me) quit. I've come back a few times, but I haven't had luck getting good random people to join my heists.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
5. Re: Saturday Metaverse May 20, 2017, 21:09 MeanJim

Beamer wrote on May 20, 2017, 13:07:
RedEye9 wrote on May 20, 2017, 11:27:
Anyone that uses MacOS opens 65 browser tabs is asking for trouble.

I'm guessing a lot of posters here are often near that.

I use Firefox and the Tab Groups addon. I have 98 open right now.

MeanJim on Steam

31. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 12, 2017, 04:34 MeanJim

Slick wrote on May 12, 2017, 01:02:
It's natural to have some buyers remorse when buying any big ticket item like this, but trust me, just because IPS doesn't have the best contrast, that monitor is still by far the best gaming monitor on the planet. It will only be outdone with the 4k HDR FALD version Asus and Acer will be putting out in 4-5 months, and that will probably be twice the price of the 1440p one ($1800 USD rumour seems plausible)

So yeah, IPS has it's issues for sure, but it's better than TN, and PVA has shit latency. If you like gaming, these 1440p 144hz G-sync monitors are currently the best there is, and they pair nicely with a GTX 1080, although a Ti would be better. You can always just play games @ 1080p, although I've noticed that at least on my Acer, the downsampling leaves the image a bit blurry. Still, it's a monitor that you can grow into, and will be a premium experience for years to come.

When it comes to things that you use everyday for hours at a time, I don't sneer at spending a little more. Mattresses, pillows, chairs, peripherals, monitors, etc. you'll get thousands of hours of use from them.

You'll be over the moon with that one you picked, at the moment there's nothing better on the market, and is probably somewhat responsible for how much ass I kick in vidyagames these days as my skills wane.

This is the one I ended up buying. There is another one by ASUS that I was looking at first, but a review I read that said the Acer had the same panel and better QC. It was also cheaper at the link I posted. When I searched for the model# on Amazon yesterday, that page I linked was the first result. The second result was one with the same model number that was even cheaper, but looking closer I saw that it had a TN panel. I didn't notice that they have several different monitors under the same model#. The 2nd result's page has the options picker thing and if you select the right options you get the same one I bought, only its sold by Amazon and is more expensive. The one I linked is fulfilled by Amazon so I still got Prime shipping and it will be here Saturday, so I sort of got lucky with that.

My current monitor is still working for now, but the left side flickers for a bit after turning on and starting the other day the bottom left doesn't light up at all and I have to cycle the power until it comes on. The two previous LCDs I had were TN panels at 20" and 22". When I got this 24" though, the color shift from the narrow vertical view angle was really noticeable, so I definitely wanted an IPS panel going up to 27".

I think I paid $500ish for that first 20" LCD I got, but the last two, the 22" and 24" both were in the $250-300 range. As for how long it lasts, maybe I've had bad luck, but each of those had problems prompting replacement after 3-4 years. For $730, this one better last a long damn time.

I currently have a GTX 970, but the rest of my system is new (i7 6700K). I can currently run everything I have at 1080p at well over 100 FPS. I'm pretty sure it's not going to handle some games at 1440p without dropping the visuals or running 1080p and upscaling it. Being able to "grow into it" was one reason I chose to get the 1440p monitor, but I won't be upgrading my GPU for a while, especially after dropping over $700 on a monitor. I was at least going to wait for the next generation GPUs to come out anyway.

MeanJim on Steam

28. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 12, 2017, 00:52 MeanJim

Where were all of you yesterday when I asked for advice on getting a new monitor when mine suddenly crapped out. I have a 24" 1080p 60Hz monitor and I can run all my games maxed out at that res. I was basically stuck deciding if I should keep it cheap and just get another 24" 1080p 60Hz to hold me over until some kind of whatever-sync standard comes out or go ahead and go ahead and upgrade to a 27" 1440p 144Hz g-sync display.

Anyway, I spent all day yesterday going back and forth and couldn't make up my mind. I was getting late and the deadline for Amazon Prime shipping was closing in if I wanted it here Saturday, so I took a break, tried to relax by watching an hour of TV and downing a pint of beer before making my decision and going to bed. Shopping while buzzed helped me make up my mind, but also impaired my judgement. I said fuck it and bought a 1440p 165Hz g-sync monitor and went to bed.

After sleeping on it, I started having second thoughts as soon as I woke up. I don't think I have room for a 27" monitor on my desk. I do need a new desk anyway, but I wasn't planning on a desk swap so soon. Then the thought of re-configuring my games to run at 1440p hit me and what to do with those that I can't run at 1440p. Now I'm kind of wishing that I had gone with a 1080p g-sync monitor for half the price.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode
14. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 11, 2017, 00:47 MeanJim

Darks wrote on May 10, 2017, 10:58:
Come on now MeanJim, how do you get burned out playing the game only twice in parts?

I've gone though the game several times with a few friends. I had a great time each play though. What you should have done was just moved on with that save game without your friend, if hes unreliable, then tell him you going on without him.

Its what I would have done!!

There's a difference between role playing and "playing the game." I take the RP in my RPG seriously. When I play an RPG, I like to come up with personalities for my character(s), sometimes coming up with back stories for them that help me "get into character" when I play. Continuing the MP games I started with other people and never finished, playing with their characters I would just be just playing the game and that's no fun to me. If I were going to play solo, I would want to create my own characters and start over.

I usually do play through RPGs multiple times role playing it with different characters. However, after the two failed games, there were other games that I was already playing single player, and I just never found my way back to this one.

It's not just the unfinished MP games that burned me out, there are some issues I have with the game itself that kind of bother me which don't help. Besides the RPS mini-game that I hate in SP, the dual dialog system itself has problems that kind of ruin the experience. The game doesn't keep track of which character caused a dual dialog (stealing for example). For instance, in the very beginning of the game there are a couple of possible areas where you're first introduced to the dual dialog system. One is where you find the body at the base of the cliff with the note on it where the guy thought he could fly. While playing with my friend, I found the body, picked up the note and read it. We initiate the dual dialog and his character is talking to me as if he found the note and read it. Then at the two drunk guards, he wanted to fight them and I wanted to go peacefully. He wins the argument, we fight, then the dual dialog at the end has his character saying something to my character making it sound like I started the fight. Later in town, he picks something up not realizing it was stealing and got caught. That initiates another dual dialog, and his character is telling me I shouldn't steal things when he is the one that did it. These same inconsistencies in the dual dialog happen in SP.

The idea role playing two characters and having dual dialog between them was a major selling point for me backing the game, and having it so fundamentally broken is kind of a turn off. I know you can disable the dual dialog completely, but then you miss out on the perks you get from the choices you make in them. I do still want to finish the game, the story (what I played of it) was interesting and the combat was fun. I'll just have to grit my teeth and try to ignore the badly implemented dual dialog when/if I do play it.

HorrorScope wrote on May 10, 2017, 18:10:
The enhanced version you could eliminate or change how RPS worked.

You can? I remember trying the enhanced edition when it released because it was right around the time I had injured my arm and couldn't use the mouse for gaming. The enhanced edition has controller support, which I could use and was thinking of playing it until I healed. I ran through the beginning up to reaching the first town to check if they fixed the other problems I mentioned above with the dual dialog, which they didn't. I don't remember there being a change in the RPS game. I'll have to check it out again, I never uninstalled it.

MeanJim on Steam

10. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 10, 2017, 10:49 MeanJim

Darks wrote on May 10, 2017, 08:17:
So, how does MP ruin the game for you? If your friend doesn't show up and you cant get him on line with you, you move on and play without him. There are several save spots you know, so you can like have multiple games going at once if you want to. Please dont blame MP for your own short falls. Thats not the games fault,thats yours and your friends fault.

I didn't say it was the game's fault for having MP. All I said was the MP ruined it for me, there's a difference. As I already explained, it ruined my experience because after playing through part of it twice in MP, I was burned out and I not interest in doing it again.

What is the games fault is having the RPS mini-game in SP where it doesn't belong which ruins the whole point of role playing two characters by not letting me decide which one gets to win an argument.

MeanJim on Steam

35. Re: Emergency Monitor Recommendations May 10, 2017, 09:58 MeanJim

Pigeon wrote on May 10, 2017, 08:27:
Well you can always get a free-sync monitor knowing you won't be using the free-sync part. Also 1080p monitors are cheap right now, so you could pick one up as a close gap till the 1440p market produces something you're interested in. Plus you'd have a spare/secondary monitor.

I've thought about that too, but since I'm spending money I might as well upgrade. Right now I'm leaning toward a 1440p 60Hz monitor. Sticking with 60Hz is half the cost of a whatever-sync monitor. I don't even know if 144Hz would benefit me since I don't play twitchy competitive multi-player games anymore. I'm sure it would still give a better experience in single-player games by having more responsive controls, but is it worth the price?

BTW, I left my system on overnight with the monitor sleep disabled, but I hate doing that. I'm really paranoid about leaving my system on when I'm asleep or not at home. I used to only turn it off when I was asleep because the noise and LEDs bothered me. I used to turn it on in the morning and leave it on until I went to bed, but a few years ago about 5 minutes after getting home, smoke and flames started pouring out of my PSU. I was going to pick up food on my way home, but the line at the place I was going to stop at was long so I just went straight home instead. I don't think I would have had anything to come home to if I did decide to stop and wait in that line.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Game Master Mode May 10, 2017, 00:45 MeanJim

The MP looks cool, but I'm not interested in it at all. I think I'm going to avoid it completely until I finish a solo run.

The MP ruined the first D:OS for me. I started out playing it with a friend, but our schedules changed and we never got around to finishing it. During the Kickstarter, I couldn't find a home for an extra beta key, so I activated it on my niece's Steam account. That extra beta key was supposed to expire at release, but it didn't so she got upgraded to the full game when it released. We started playing it together, but it was frustrating to play with her. She kept getting distracted wanting to wander off, break into houses and pretty much ignore the quests. She eventually lost interest leaving me with another unfinished game.

I did try to play through it once, but I didn't like the rock, paper, scissors mini-game being in single-player when your two characters had an argument. It makes sense in multi-player though. Usually we'd try to talk it out and if we came to an agreement we'd let one or the other win, otherwise we played the mini-game to decide the outcome. It ruined the role-playing in single-player because I don't get to decided which of my two characters wins the argument and instead the game takes over one character and makes me play RPS against it. I brought this up on their forums during the beta/early access period and a lot of people agreed with me, but the official response was to save scum it until I got the outcome I wanted.

Between the RPS mini-game in SP and the two failed attempts at playing it multi-player, I lost interest in playing it by myself. I still backed D:OS2 though. I thought eventually I would get around to playing and finishing D:OS on my own by D:OS2's release, but I don't know if that will happen because it keeps falling farther down my backlog list.

MeanJim on Steam

28. Re: Emergency Monitor Recommendations May 9, 2017, 23:54 MeanJim

Pigeon wrote on May 9, 2017, 19:47:
I've been thinking of making a similar move. Gsync is better, though I don't know how noticeably better, and the quality control is better. Apparently there are varying degrees as to how well monitor manufactures implement free-sync. On the other hand free-sync is about ~$200-$250 cheaper and should be a noticeable step up form what you have. There was a video posted a few days back doing, sort of, an apples to apples comparison between the two.

I'm kind of waiting for the 2nd gen of 1440p IPS G-sync displays to come out. Ideally I'd like to see one with HDR and the backlight bleed issues taken care of. Unfortunately the monitor manufactures seem to be pushing 4k right now for gaming monitors, so I'm not sure how much love 1440p is going to get. The only 2nd gen 1440p monitor I've seen announced was from Acer, and had a curved screen and eye-tracking, both things I have little interest in. Anyways I'm feeling ya, the adaptive sync market is a bit wonky right now, and the idea of dropping $800 on a monitor where features can only be used with one brand of video card has stopped me from pulling the trigger numerous times.

EDIT: Here's the Link that was posted on blues a few days ago.
EDIT 2: And to add to the confusion FreeSync 2 is now a thing.

I saw that video a few days ago. I used to alternate between nvidia and AMD because they used to be closely matched and it just happened that when it was time to upgrade my GPU, it was the other brand that was winning. My last 4 GPUs have been nvidia though. The last time it wasn't by choice though. I bought an AMD, I forget the numbering (I think it was 47xx). After I put the card in, I saw the POST then my monitor just went to standby as the system booted up. I returned the card thinking it was defective, but the replacement was the same. I read on some forums of some people having the same issue with the card only when using DVI, so I tried the VGA port and it worked. I tried different DVI cables as suggested, but I couldn't get it to work with my monitor. I returned it and got the nvidia equivalent at the time (GTX 260 I think) which was more expensive for slightly less performance.

Since then nvidia was always the best performer for the price when it was time to upgrade. I'm still not sure I want to get a g-sync display and lock myself into nvidia cards given that I don't upgrade my display that often.

It seems like every high refresh rate display has either g-sync or free-sync in it. I haven't found a simple 1440p 144hz display without either. I've been looking all night and haven't been able to decide on something. I hate making a rush purchase, and I'm out of time now. I need to go to bed and I have to decide if I'm going to shut my system down and hope the monitor comes on tomorrow or leave the whole thing running just to keep the display powered on.

MeanJim on Steam

15. Emergency Monitor Recommendations May 9, 2017, 18:00 MeanJim

My current monitor has been acting up for a while. Sometimes when it wakes up on after being in standby for a while, the left side of the screen flickers, but it always stopped after a minute.

I've been putting off getting a new one for a while as it's never been more than a little flicker for a bit every now and then, but just now it had only been off (standby) for an hour or so. When I woke it up, it flickered for a few seconds, then the bottom left corner went dark. Luckily turning it off and back on lit it back up, but now I really need to get a new one before this one gets worse since I don't have a backup.

I hoped this one would last a while longer until some sort of standard came out of GSync and FreeSync, but it appears that won't happen. I currently have a 24" 1080p 60Hz display. I'm thinking of going up to 27" 1440p and 144Hz. I just built a new machine, but kept my old GPU (GTX 970) since it could run everything I have maxed out at 1080p 60fps. I'm a bit concerned that the GTX 970 can't handle some games at that 1440p and upscaling generally looks like shit.

I'm not loyal to nvidia or AMD, but I'd hate to lock myself into one brand by buying a GSync or FreeSync monitor. So this is kind of where I've been stuck in my decision making process. I can just grab a 24" 1080p monitor a lot cheaper and wait for some sort of xSync standard, or go ahead and upgrade now to a larger, higher resolution, higher refresh display with GSync (since I'm already on nvidia).

MeanJim on Steam

2823 Comments. 142 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo