Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2621 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
12. Marshmallow is in use on 10.1% of all Android devices Jun 8, 2016, 15:32 jimnms

Marshmallow is bugged as fuck on tablets. I updated my Nexus 7 and it will lose 35% battery in sleep mode over night. If you look at the battery history meter, it continues to use battery at the same rate as when it's awake. On the Nexus forums, there are many theories as to what is going on, from apps not letting the tablet sleep, to the OS thinking it's a phone and not disabling certain things. It's obviously not turning off WiFi, even though I can see it disconnect from my router because turning off WiFi it only loses 3% overnight. Turning off WiFi and following some other advice found on the forums and disabling app's access to phone and SMS cut that down to 0% overnight.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Hard Drive Problems Jun 6, 2016, 12:31 jimnms

I don't remember the last time I had problems with a HD, but I think my drive is on it's way out. A couple of weeks ago, during a backup I noticed it was taking longer than usual. Then the system froze and I knew it was a HD issue. At first I thought it was with my eSATA dock, this has happened a few times in the past, but looking at the system log it was reporting an error on my main HD not the external drive.

I ran a chkdsk to scan for bad sectors over night since it takes about 4 hours on this 1.5TB drive. It found and marked 3 sectors bad. The files on the bad sectors were in a Steam game, and verifying the files it ended up re-downloading them.

After that I ran the Western Digital diagnostic the next night, it found and corrected errors. I then alternated between chckdsk /b and Western Digital diagnostics until it was no longer reporting errors.

The past few days though I've been getting errors in the event viewer saying the device has a bad block, so I ran chkdsk again last night and it showed no errors.

Just now while Steam was updating a game, Steam reported a write error, and once again the event viewer shows a disk error at the same time Steam had the write error. I restarted the update and it finished, but verifying the files on that game after it was done caused it to re-download 1.4GB, nearly the entire game.

I was already picking parts for a new system, and this is accelerating that process. I wasn't planning to buy a new drive because I have enough space on this drive. I was going to buy a larger SSD to go with this drive, but now I have to pick a new drive for my new system too. I just hope the disk holds up until then.

Wasn't there an article linked here a few weeks or months ago evaluating which consumer drives were most reliable? I think I remember it ranking HGST and WD at the top, but while browsing drives the other day, reviews for every manufacturer seem mixed. Since I'm doing fine with 1.5TB, I was looking at a 2TB replacement, but it looks like 3TB is better in price per TB. I also think I remember the article I was referring to earlier (or it might have been another) that showed reliability dropped in drives over 2TB. So any recommendations?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Mafia II Back on Steam; Mafia III CE Unveiled
10. Re: Mafia II Back on Steam; Mafia III CE Unveiled Jun 2, 2016, 02:00 jimnms

nin wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 01:46:
Squirmer wrote on Jun 2, 2016, 01:38:
Seems like people think this isn't a proper Mafia game because there's a black guy in it.

None of which was mentioned in this thread until you brought it up, in an attempt to stir shit up.

So what's got people so worked up about this one (hint: it's the black guy).

Again, you were the first person to bring this up. No one else said anything about skin color. No one else was "worked up".

Edit: I mean it's hardly without precedent. Remember when all the racists freaked out because a black stormtrooper? Same thing.

Which has nothing to do with this thread. Another attempt to stir shit up.

You know how to spot the racist in a conversation? It's always the first person to bring up race.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
7. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 26, 2016, 23:50 jimnms

Genesys wrote on May 25, 2016, 22:04:
jimnms wrote on May 25, 2016, 21:01:
Do Brits really call the X that closes windows a cross? Do they also call the letter X a cross?
You've never had a Brit invite you to play a game of Naughts and Crosses? They speak a whole different language over there; it uses the same words as we do, but they don't always mean the same thing.

I'm fairly familiar with British English, but this is the first time I've heard or seen an X called a cross.

MeanJim on Steam

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2016, 22:11 jimnms

I like Logitech mice too. I had a G5 for years, the first generation one with just one side button. They came out with a second generation version with two side buttons, but kept the G5 model number. I ended up replacing it with a G500 because I thought something was going wrong with it, but it turned out to be my desk. I didn't use a mouse pad on the desk, and years of mousing on it had polished it so smooth that the sensor was having trouble tracking on it. I discovered this when the G500 had the same problem, so I had to start using a mouse pad. The G5 is still on my old computer working fine.

I did recently have a problem with my G500 where the left mouse button randomly double clicked or worse would release while holding it down, which caused me to drop some files in a random folder once. It pissed me off and I slammed it down on the desk and it stopped doing it for a long time, but eventually came back. Giving it a good slam on the desk temporarily fixed it each time, but the time it took to return grew shorter so I replaced it.

I went Logitech again picking up a G502. The G500 was almost identical to the G5, but the G502 is a different design inside and out. They've gone back to an optical sensor instead of the laser and re-designed the exterior. It looks ugly as hell, but it's an absolute pleasure to hold. My only complaint is with the scroll wheel. I love the dual mode scroll wheel, with the push of a button it unlocks the wheel and allows it to spin freely. The G500 was like this, but the G502 wheel seems heavier and has more momentum and has almost no friction, which makes it a little sensitive at time and sometimes causes it to roll back in the opposite direction after stopping. It can get a little annoying. The G500 had a slight amount of friction to it so that it didn't do that. The G502 also doesn't have a rubberized coating like the G500 did. It feels like it's metal and has grooves cut in it almost like a gear, and it's not as comfortable to use as the G500.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 26, 2016, 21:27 jimnms

NetHead wrote on May 26, 2016, 09:21:
Blind faith meet,,, patriotism, religion etc

Anyway looking at it from some other country, those (R) people always leave us with a WTF look on our face, though on the other hand is also seems like there's ultimately little difference whether an (R) or (D) ends up "winning".

They are basically two sides of the same coin because the big lobbies give to both sides so they win either way. The politicians know that the majority of people don't pay attention to shit, so they take the bribes and do what their lobby overlords want, not what the people that elected them want.

We have a Democrat congressman and two Republican senators. Since I've been born, the congressman for my district has changed once, and until a couple of years ago the same two senators had been in office my entire life. The only reason one changed is because he decided to quit right after getting re-elected. There is no special election when a senator leaves, so it it passed down the line of succession. The guy that took over was re-elected because no one ran against him. There is rarely ever anyone running against these ass holes, and when they do I always vote for the new guy because it's time for someone new to take the place. It never matters though because they always win re-election with like 95% of the vote.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 25, 2016, 21:15 jimnms

Cutter wrote on May 25, 2016, 18:45
FT....

Republicans: the gift that keeps on giving.

I never fail to be amazed that voters are so consistently supportive of those who don't care about them.
[/quote:

That's what happens when people treat political parties like sports teams. They don't pay attention to what matters and when they go vote, they just look for the little (R) or (D) next to a politicians name and check the box for their "team."

I remember a few years ago reading about some place that accidentally left the party indicators off the ballots and people lost their shit and bitched about it because they didn't know who to vote for. I wish they would remove the political party indicators next to candidates names on ballots for every election. This should cut down on the number of uninformed voters.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance May 25, 2016, 21:01 jimnms

Do Brits really call the X that closes windows a cross? Do they also call the letter X a cross?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released
39. Re: Fallout 4 Far Harbor Released May 21, 2016, 04:45 jimnms

jomisab wrote on May 19, 2016, 13:03:
I think most people who are really into Fallout made sure they got the Season Pass when it was only $30, and I also think in hindsight it will look like a major bargain.

I think most people who are really into Fallout skipped this turd.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits May 18, 2016, 14:05 jimnms

That's one of the reasons I never got around to doing a re-install on my gaming machine. I bought an SSD to use for the system drive a few years ago. Every tool I tried to use to copy my OS partition failed to work, so I was going to have to re-install if I wanted the OS on the SSD.

I had recently re-installed Win7 on someone's slow ass notebook and it took all damn day and I didn't want to go through with it. I move games I'm currently playing on the SSD, so it's not going to waste. The machine boots up fast enough, and since I just put the system to sleep at night, I really only do a full reboot once or twice a month.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Space Pirates And Zombies 2 Early Access
5. Re: Space Pirates And Zombies 2 Early Access May 18, 2016, 13:55 jimnms

The Half Elf wrote on May 17, 2016, 23:15:
The 1st one was so boringly long that I never did finish it.

Ok... I watched the video.... on my 'to get' list.

The length of the game depended on the size of the galaxy you picked at the start. Pick a smaller galaxy if you want a shorter game.

MeanJim on Steam

20. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2016, 17:49 jimnms

Quboid wrote on May 12, 2016, 15:17:
jimnms wrote on May 12, 2016, 14:12:
Cutter wrote on May 12, 2016, 11:32:
America: The last holdout from the metric system.

Doesn't England still use miles and gallons?

All of the UK officially uses metric, although long distances uses miles so our speed limits are in MPH with signs along the Irish border warning drivers of the change from/to KPH limits. In practise we use a bit of both depending on our generation. My parents tend to use imperial but are pretty fluent in metric, I use metric but am pretty fluent in ye olde imperial. I'd guess previous and future generations are less bi-lingual in this regard.

Liberia and Myanmar are still holding out.

Then the US and England have more in common in regards to our use of the metric system. I was taught both systems in elementary school. I've always had tools in both metric and imperial. I work on my own vehicles and they've always had a mix of imperial and metric sized nuts and bolts depending on where the part was made, but I think most new cars now are all metric. Every scientific industry moved to metric years ago.

It's mostly the general population that still uses imperial, and it's still mixed. You buy a gallon of milk, but the nutrition label on the back is in metric measurements. Soda has always come in 2-liter bottles since I can remember. It was the smaller "single serving" bottles that were in ounces, but you don't even see those anymore with 500ml bottles replacing the 16oz. bottles.

Creston wrote on May 12, 2016, 16:09:
Yes, but surprisingly enough their miles and gallons are different from the US miles and gallons. Because... well, why the fuck not?!

I knew their gallon was different (bigger?), but I thought their mile was the same.

MeanJim on Steam

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2016, 14:27 jimnms

HorrorScope wrote on May 12, 2016, 14:06:
Yes monitoring heat, fan speed, watts used you can really hone it in. I have my bios's set to turn my cpu mhz way down like a 1/3 of max when it doesn't need it and it makes a nice watt savings. Anytime it needs the full speed and that could be just opening a new web page it goes up to max and right back down. While reading a page it's like 1200 mhz... every little bit. Same for fans speeds across the board, have them near off when at certain temps, but scale right up to 100% when gaming. Make sure idle temps are good, over time those can slip. I also run stress tests to make sure when all cores are maxed, that my system all kicks in and works. It's a pretty good feeling when you have that all honed in.

That's how I have my system set up. I'm still using a first generation i5 750, but I've overclocked it to 3.8GHz. At idle it runs at 1.8GHz and the fans spin down to 800-1000 RPM. My GPU doesn't even turn on its fans until it's under load. Outside of gaming, I can barely hear it at all and it's on the desk to my right. It's also a good little audible alarm when something starts to use the CPU, you hear a little whoosh as the fans spin up.

I want to build a new system, but this one keeps up with everything I throw at it. GTA V is the most demanding game I have and it runs with a few things like grass turned down.

MeanJim on Steam

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2016, 14:12 jimnms

Cutter wrote on May 12, 2016, 11:32:
America: The last holdout from the metric system.

Doesn't England still use miles and gallons?

MeanJim on Steam

1. Blu-ray suggestions? May 9, 2016, 12:33 jimnms

So my weekend was ruined by BS Blu-ray DRM. I've used a PC as a Blu-ray player for years now. I've used Arcsoft's Total Media Theatre for years because it's just a Blu-ray player, no bloatware BS and it integrated with Windows Media Center. I bought it when it was version 3 and upgraded through till they shut it down a few years ago. I also use AnyDVD HD because when I built my first home theater system, for some reason the video card said my display didn't support HDCP when it was. I wrestled with it for a while, then gave up and bought AnyDVD HD. Even after an upgrade resolved the HDCP issue, I continued to use AnyDVD HD out of convenience to be able to skip the un-skippable BS they put in blu ray movies.

Saturday night, I put in the movie and skipped the ads to get to the main menu, then went to the kitchen, popped some pop corn and grabbed a beer. I came back, started the movie, then 3 minutes in I get a message about the Cinavia DRM crap. I've gotten these before, but usually 15-20 minutes into the movie not 3 minutes. If it had waited 15-20 minutes as usual I at least I would have had time to eat my popcorn and drink my beer. No problem I thought, this has happened a few times before and closing AnyDVD HD lets me play it, I just have to restart the disk and sit through the unskippable crap. Nope, not this time. It wouldn't play at all without AnyDVD running. I got the un-skippable ads but I was able to fast forward, then it tried to play something after the ads which the old Total Media Theatre didn't support and just stopped. To make a long story short, after an hour of trying to get it to work, I finally ended up downloading the trial for PowerDVD 16 so I could watch the damn movie I rented, but by then I had cold, stale popcorn and a warm, flat beer.

PowerDVD 16 seems way too bloated to me. I just want a damn Blu-ray player, and it wants to be the default app for all video, music and pictures. I spent Sunday trying other software, but PowerDVD seems to be the only thing that works. I tried the other big name left in software Blu-ray, WinDVD, but it wouldn't even start without giving an error. I tried some free player with a weird name, but it just plays the movie, no menus support. It looked like it was going to work, but when it hit the 3 minute mark where I got the DRM message, instead it jumped forward several minutes and after that it played the chapters out of order. I found a couple of others I had never heard of, Macgo and iDeer. They both looked like re-skinned versions of that free player and played the move exactly the same as it did.

Sadly it seems that PowerDVD is all that's left for PC Blu-ray play back. The Blu-ray version of PowerDVD costs $80 though, and you can buy a Blu-ray player now for the same or less. So now I have to decide if I want to spend $80 on PowerDVD or about the same price on a hardware player. I looked at some reviews of the top selling players on Amazon, but I saw reviews saying they got Cinavia messages on those too with some newer movies, two of which specifically mentioned the movie I watched.

Another kick in the balls is now that AnyDVD HD was shut down and the former programmers formed RedFox, AnyDVD HD is not going to be working much longer once they open for business. I had a lifetime license for AnyDVD HD and for that I'll get a 20% discount, but they're going to ask 109 Euro (~ $125 USD) for the same product under a new name. I looked up my receipt from when I bought it and I don't know what it was in Euro, but I only paid $63 for it, but I do remember it was on sale at the time. I would consider buying a new lifetime license if they sold it for a more reasonable price and/or offered a better discount for old SlySoft lifetime license holders, but at that price no thanks.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
18. Re: Steam Top 10 May 9, 2016, 09:47 jimnms

MisterBenn wrote on May 8, 2016, 22:43:
I'm probably up to about 25 hours of Stellaris footage watched at this point! I watched the weekly Paradox Blorg streams, the 22 player 2 day press event they did, Quill and Das's series and also about 4 hours of Quill's space dwarves saturday stream this weekend.

I'm tempted to pick this up, but I'm having conflicted thoughts. I've got such a huge back log that I stopped buying games at launch and wait for them to work out bugs with patches, release DLC, etc. and buy the game when it's "done." But this looks like the kind of game I'd play the crap of with or without DLC. It's also more tempting since it's $40 instead of $60. If it were $60 I probably wouldn't even be considering it right now.

I'm sitting on the GMG checkout page with my finger on the checkout button (it's 25% off there). I've watched some YouTube footage and a couple of the Paradox streams (watching the launch stream right now). I'm not a fan or RTS, but this doesn't look like a typical RTS since it has the ability to pause.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse May 7, 2016, 23:25 jimnms

I hope someone takes over Thunderbird and does it justice. It's much more convenient to manage multiple email accounts. Over the years I've got everything down to two Gmail accounts by having my other accounts forward to one of my Gmail addresses. Using multiple Gmail accounts with a browser would be a real pain to manage. Having Thunderbird open and notifying me of new mail is nice, plus its calendar and reminder is much more useful and convenient to use than Google's calendar. If I need to remind myself to do something in a few days or weeks, it's easier to do it in Thunderbird. If I need to set a reminder for something several months from now, I do it on Google Calendar just in case something happens to my system so I don't lose the reminder.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 28, 2016, 15:59 jimnms

The thing about data caps and strictly enforcing them is it doesn't factor in things like a family of 4 will consume more than a single person. I just looked at my router logs and see that in the last year I used a low of 220 and high of 370GB per month. I had no idea I used that much. I watch a few streaming movies and TV shows, that and Steam updates and game downloads are probably the biggest consumers of bandwidth.

My ISP says it has a 250GB cap in the TOS on it's website, but they don't enforce it because I've never received any notice. Years ago when I signed up, there was no such clause in my contract, so I wonder if that's why.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 26, 2016, 00:25 jimnms

I've tried Chrome and I don't really like it. It's OK, but Firefox is more usable to me, with some essential addons of course. A lot of the addons I use aren't available on Chrome, plus unlike Chrome, Firefox doesn't want to run in the background all the time and send spy reports back to Google.

I currently have 39 tabs open on my main Firefox window, plus 1 pinned tab, but I also have 3 other tab groups open in this window with 25 tabs total between them, plus a second window open with 8 tabs in it. That makes 73 tabs total. Firefox is currently using 765MB of RAM. Not all of the tabs are loaded and active though. Tabs and tab groups don't load tabs until you switch to them, but I count 31 active tabs between the 2 windows.

I have Firefox set to save and restore my previous session each time. I usually browse in one window and switch to the tab groups as needed, the second window I only opened for temporary stuff. I use tab groups and I have tabs grouped for certain things that I frequently use and would rather not have to open new windows and load them from bookmarks each time I need them.

MeanJim on Steam

52. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 21, 2016, 21:02 jimnms

I'm having internet troubles myself. Everything was fine until last Thursday when another storm came through and knocked trees down on the road my neighborhood branches off from, knocking out power and internet. When it was restored Friday, things haven't been the same.

Downloads for the most part seem unaffected. I haven't tried playing a game yet to see if latency is an issue. I mainly notice it so far with streaming video, whether from Netflix, Amazon or YouTube. It's pretty inconsistent too. Usually if I start a video and it plays at the full HD quality it stays there, but if it starts off on a lower quality it never switches up to a higher one. Refreshing until it starts on HD sometimes works. I gets worse during peak hours (6pm-11pm) and harder to get any kind of HD video streaming going.

I've run speed tests at speedtest.net and also get varying results. One test will show me getting my full speed, then I run another one from the same server and I'll only get 25-30% of what I should be getting.

MeanJim on Steam

2621 Comments. 132 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo