Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage https://steamcommunity.com/id/meanjim
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2813 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Classic is Free
4. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic is Free Jul 6, 2017, 02:20 MeanJim

Hasn't this been free for a while now?  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
33. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 21:45 MeanJim

Orogogus wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 20:56:
I don't know what you think is bullshit.

I was calling bullshit on your statement that "the wheelchair guys don't even have to go to the business in question. They can just sue and then see who coughs up money." You're making it sound like people in wheelchairs have nothing better to do than go around looking for people to sue. You do have to have been in the business to legitimately sue them. They're called drive by ADA lawsuits. They were in the news a lot a year or so ago. Scumbag lawyers go around finding businesses to sue, then pay some poor schmuck in a wheelchair to sign as the plaintiff and promise a bonus for each one settled. They've started cracking down on these schemes, but the sad part is that these mass lawsuits have drowned out people with legitimate complaints.

MeanJim on Steam

32. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 21:26 MeanJim

Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 20:15:
Yeah, and you've obviously never run your own business. Most people that open up their first place are doing so by the skin of their teeth. We don't have deep pockets to accommodate a minority that makes up less than 1% of society. We had to forgo our draft fridge for over a year because of those costs. You know what that translates into for lost sales? And because of those lost sales that means people not being hired by us, the brewery, and every other ancillary business that's tied to that. And all for what so that 1 person in 100,0000 just may, *may* come by our place one day and need to use the bathroom. I love how liberals like you are always so free with other peoples money. If you think it's so goddamned important you pay for it. Of course that'll never happen. The moment people like you are forced to pony up any dough it's a completely different story. Not like hardcore lefties know what real work is anyway.

You can't pick and choose which building codes you want to comply with. If you built a new building for your business, it should have been built accessible to begin with. If you had to install an accessible bathroom, then it wasn't built to code, or you bought/leased/rented an old building that needed to be brought up to code. If the latter was the case, you should have known it would need modification and it would be up to the owner of the building to make the modifications, and if you bought the building in that condition, you should have negotiated the price down before buying it knowing it would need modification.

If your business is open to the public, it must be open to the whole public. Just like you can't chose which building codes you want to comply with, you can't chose which members of the public you want to serve. Oh, and it took me a couple of minutes on Google to find the percent of population in wheelchairs, which is about 9% in US and 8% in Canada. That's a lot of customers to turn away.

MeanJim on Steam

27. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 20:16 MeanJim

Orogogus wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 19:41:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 17:24:
I'm a believer they have their own organization for this and for every region in Murica, there is that wheelchair person that goes store to store just looking for trouble and heading straight to city hall to report you. If they need it or not... they will just do it.

In Southern California, the wheelchair guys don't even have to go to the business in question. They can just sue and then see who coughs up money. Some places will fight it, but others will cave because it's cheaper to settle even if they're in compliance. From friends who operate or have operated restaurants in San Diego, it seems like 100% of the restaurants here get sued, it's just a matter of when and how often. Don't know about retail stores.

Oh bullshit. I've read about those and seen them on the news. Those lawsuits you're talking about are being filed by scumbag lawyers trying to make a buck, not "the wheelchair guys."

MeanJim on Steam

23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 19:49 MeanJim

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 19:05:
First, they can't ever have a "normal" life. So, as much as we'd all like to make life as smooth for them as it is for the ambulatory, that's an impossibility based on their membership in the category in the first place.

Second, they are disabled. Stating that the environment makes them disabled is like saying that chemistry is at fault for salt-induced hypertension. The fact that they can't do what a normal baseline human can do (i.e. walk) is the definition of disabled.

Third, the idea that "[i]f it costs too much for business owners then state has to support it" is one of the most economically illiterate statements I've ever heard. Where the hell does the "state" get its money? From the businesses and citizens that it taxes. So, we'll slightly reduce the costs to any one person or business by spreading it across many more, and hide it from everyone by lumping it into what everyone pays in taxes. At least be intellectually honest and say that you want the rest of the citizens in society to pay for the conveniences of the disabled. I could respect that, at least (we do it with mental institutions, etc.). But to handwave the cost away by appeals to "state" funding...

FFS there are a lot of cold, heartless people here. Someone once said; "The true measure of a society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members." This affects all of us in some way. Whether a person is born disabled, becomes disabled by an accident or fighting in wars we shouldn't be in, or you just get old, we're all going to need accessible facilities and transportation eventually. Unless you want go back the "good old days" when we locked the disabled away so we didn't have to see them.

As for who covers the cost of making things accessible, if it's a new building/business, it must be built to code so to begin with, so it wouldn't cost any extra. Buildings built before the ADA are exempt, but they must make a reasonable attempt to to comply with the ADA if they make modifications. Most states already have programs to provide assistance to help cover the costs of modifications, and that money comes from taxes. I don't see why there is an objection to that. We all pay taxes that pay for things we don't use. I don't have kids, but I'm glad my taxes help pay to educate others. The last thing I want is some uneducated dipshits taking care of me in the old folks home while I'm trying to finish off my Steam Backlog before I kick the bucket.

MeanJim on Steam

21. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 19:09 MeanJim

Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 12:55:
Exactly. How many wheelchair buses and/or taxis do you see in the run of a day even in a major city? Not many.

Every major city I've been to in the US where I've used public transportation, all the buses had wheel chair ramps on them. In the UK, all licensed taxis have to be wheelchair accessible.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 28, 2017, 22:08 MeanJim

It will also create a perfc.dat file in the C:/Windows directory (which is why the vaccination works with a read only file of that name).
That's all it takes to block infections?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2017, 16:10 MeanJim

Blue wrote on Jun 26, 2017, 11:29:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 26, 2017, 10:36:
Is it just me, or is anyone else seeing odd behavior from the news forum index? I actually rebooted since it had been a while on the PC, but that hasn't seemed to fix it.

I am seeing oddness too. Seems like it's not updating very well without forced refreshes. Is that similar to what's happening to you?

The only weirdness I've noticed today is that links are now opening in the current window. I've tried toggling the option off and back on, but links don't open in new tabs/windows anymore.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 25, 2017, 17:14 MeanJim

NetHead wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 13:12:
Transfer Steam Games to an SSD without Redownloading.

Well over a decade old now, insanely successful and profitable, how on earth does such a headline even exist today.

From a programming side it's dead simple and easy to add the user friendly functionality of being able to move games, i.e. change it's freaking path.

How it is possible to have such a monumental "don't give a shit" attitude about one's main product/service that something so simple wasn't added in a days work during beta, nevermind headline worthy over a decade later.

I can't imagine a company the world over that wouldn't be jealous of being able to have such utter disregard for their product and customers while being hailed as the savoir of the industry with countless of those same customers helping drive it towards a monopoly.

This has been built into the Steam client for a while now. Right click the game, properties, local files move install folder. They mention that in the 3rd paragraph of the article.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Elite Dangerous The Return Patch Plans
20. Re: Elite Dangerous The Return Patch Plans Jun 14, 2017, 20:50 MeanJim

Wash Washburne wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 13:26:
...but if you don't really want to do spreadsheets in space, this is it...at least until Star Citizen comes out.

I enjoyed Evochron Mercenary. I bought Evochron Legacy at release, but haven't been able to play much of it because my joystick is crapping out.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced
17. Re: Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced Jun 14, 2017, 19:22 MeanJim

Suppa7 wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 11:04:
The problem is the game is rushed. The game really isn't worth the money because it is so short and it's just feels like a cash in after the kickstarter madness every old developer thought meant they could simply easily cash in by making half baked old CRPG's.

This wasn't kickstarted. Tyranny is a Paradox title developed by Obsidion. It has nothing to do with Pillars or Kickstarter.

Agent-Zero wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 11:15:
I figured it would be another situation of a Directors Cut + DLC update...

and here it is

BTW this shit is now the norm for Obsidian and InXile apparently... so Im going to regard it as such..

This is the norm for Paradox. Like I said above, Tyranny is a Paradox game. Paradox is well known for their DLC. Pillars had two expansions announced before the kickstarter ended. None of InXile's kickstarted games have had DLC. The Waseland 2 Directors cut that included a lot of new content was free. They've already said any DLC or new content for Torment will be free as well.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Tyranny: Bastard's Wound Announced
16. Re: I watched more DOOM videos (not all of them [TL;DW]), with a guy's commentaries, from YouTube... Jun 14, 2017, 18:57 MeanJim

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 09:50:
Anyone tried Tyranny? I must not have even noticed it when it was released. Looks kinda interesting.

I enjoyed it. A lot of the negative reviews I see about it mainly come from people going in expecting a large, deep open world RPG like Pillars. This is more like a choose your own adventure RPG. You can't see and do everything in one play through. During main quests, you're generally given two to three choices of locations to go to. Sometimes you can only go to one or two of them, sometimes going to one will open up another option, but you can't do all of them.

Depending on your choices along the way, some locations won't become available at all and some will close off. There was one location that was marked on my map, but it never was available to me. After I finished the game, I looked up the full map on the official wiki and there are a lot of areas that weren't available to me based on the path I chose. The reason I wasn't able to go to that marked area was because in an earlier part of the main quests I had to chose between going to two locations. In that part, I was able to go to both, but this quest depended on the order you visited them as to whether or not that third location opened up. There was another chance for me to get to it later, but the choices I made to resolve that quest meant it wasn't necessary.

This game is shorter than a typical RPG, but anyone finishing in 20-30 hours is rushing through an missing a lot of things. All main quests and most side quests are tracked in the journal, but there are a lot of hidden quests and even parts to and main and side quests that you can find if you notice the clues and put them together. My first play through was over 100 hours. There is a lot of (optional) lore to read, which I read and enjoyed.

There are hidden quests and parts of side and main quests that don't show up in your journal, and I was quite surprised that they reward you for thinking for yourself instead relying on just following the journal all the time. One of these hidden parts related to a main quest that opened up if you found a certain note. If you read the note and are observant, you'll realize it refers to this quest. Reading the note doesn't add any extra objectives to your journal, but it has the description of a location. If you find that location and find another clue, the clue points you to a person that you could have already talked to or would meet later. I had already talked to this person and knew who it was referring to. After finding those clues, when I went back and talked to that person, there was now an option to ask them about it, which gives you yet another clue which required you to once again use your brain to figure out where to go to put all the pieces together. I enjoyed that a lot. Out of curiosity, I skimmed a few let's plays on YouTube and of the people that found that note all but one didn't notice it was a clue to that quest. The one that did notice it, made a comment about how it sounded like it could be part of the quest, but when he checked his journal and didn't see anything about it, brushed it off.

The ending does seem like it was cut short. The first act is fairly short, but the 2nd act is fairly long. Then the final act comes, and it seems like they had plans for more but then it's just over. It doesn't ruin the game as a while though.

Minor spoilers below:
Throughout the game, you gain power by finding artifacts and defeating arcons. You use this power to cast edicts of your own. You are forced to cast edicts at two points in the game, but outside of those two, I never felt the need to cast another. The edicts aid you in battle, but usually have a drawback that didn't seem worth it.

After Act 2, new research options opened up at the library to research new edicts, but by then I had already used my supplies researching other things, but if I had the supplies I don't think there was enough time to research them before the game ended. It seems like they intended for there to be more due to the amount of power I had and the number of edicts that could be unlocked, but cut it short due to time or maybe to sell expansions later (it is a Paradox game after all).

Major spoilers below:
The story and writing overall was good, but there were a few instances that didn't make sense. The most glaring one was if you chose the rebel path. I chose to side with the rebels to end the edict because it seemed the most logical way since the two arcons were busy bickering with one another. To end the edict, one of the arcons or a member of the court has to claim the Ascension Hall. When you meet the rebels at Ascension Hall, the two arcons are right behind you and will try to claim the place. By enlisting the help of the rebels, you're the only person that can end the edict, but instead of rushing inside to claim the Hall and end the edict, you have to risk your life by staying outside and fighting off the assault. Sure it would have been boring if you just ran inside quickly and claimed the Hall, ending the edict, but they should have come up with a good reason for you to have to stay outside and personally repel the attack. There were a couple of other places I could nitpick, but it's really very few.

MeanJim on Steam

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 9, 2017, 21:01 MeanJim

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 9, 2017, 18:39:
Let's all just remember that SIN actually was a thing once, had a episodic game made, and promised it's buyers that there'd be 9 episodes

Episodes delivered?
Oh yeah, 1 really buggy mess.

What bugs? I bought it at release and enjoyed it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 8, 2017, 00:12 MeanJim

Next time I print sensitive data to leak to the press, I'll remove the yellow toner cartridge first.  

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 4, 2017, 00:43 MeanJim

DG wrote on Jun 3, 2017, 18:09:
Hmm, pretty sure I'd read something science-y that dogs can tilt their heads to more precisely locate the origin of a sound.

That's what I thought too.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Jun 2, 2017, 21:10 MeanJim

I thought Sense8 was pretty good, but I thought it was canceled a long time ago when over a year passed after the release of the 1st season without any new episodes. When the 2-hour holiday episode came out of the blue, I didn't watch it (yet) because I'd pretty much forgotten about the show. It's also two hours long and I just haven't found myself in the mood to sit and watch something that long. Now that it's canceled, I don't think I even want to watch it now knowing it will just end.

I'm not only about to cut the cord, I think I'm just going to give up on TV completely. I hesitate to get involved in any new show (especially if it's on FOX) because I find a show I like and it gets canned after one season or if it makes it past a first season, it gets canned suddenly without closure.

I've become hesitant to start watching shit on Netflix too because of the way shit disappears suddenly. I've got shit in my queue that are several seasons long that I'd like to watch, but I don't want to get started only to have Netflix drop it before I finish.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 2, 2017, 20:51 MeanJim

MacLeod wrote on Jun 2, 2017, 19:00:
Now they just need to do this on mobile... because I can't tell you how many sites I've just given up visiting on my phone because they're impossible to browse with either slow loading ads that pop up over everything and no way to close for an extended length of time. Or my real favorite... the ones that just redirect to a site that you can't go back from to get to the original article you were trying to read. Like WTF point is having ads on your site if they literally redirect people off the site with no way to go back.

Firefox mobile + uBlock Origin will solve that.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 1, 2017, 14:47 MeanJim

Pigeon wrote on Jun 1, 2017, 10:46:
Picked up an Asus 27" 1440p IPS over the memorial day weekend. Had been hoping to see improved versions with HDR and better back light bleed control coming out, but the manufactures seem to be focused on curved screens and 35" monstrosities. Speaking of back light bled, it's there, but I only notice it when staring at a black screen, which has only occurred when I purposely created a black screen to look for bleeding. I can't say it's made me a better FPS player, but at least some of those, 'how the fuck did they see me' moments are understandable now. Turns out, bigger screen + better colors and light levels = easier to distinguish targets.

I bought an Acer 1440p 144Hz IPS display a couple of weeks ago. I'd hadn't planned to buy a new monitor so soon, but a sudden crap out forced me to. If you got the ASUS I think you got, it has the same panel that the Acer I bought has. Yes the back light bleed is there if you look for it, but it's not noticeable when gaming or watching movies.

Overall I like the monitor, but I kind of wish I'd gone with a cheaper 24" 1080p and waited to "upgrade" later.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Old Steam Forums Closing
13. Re: Old Steam Forums Closing May 31, 2017, 06:40 MeanJim

Suppa7 wrote on May 30, 2017, 23:53:
LOL you're talking about gabe newell, the man who trojan horsed his way to a billion dollar steam store by basically stealing game ownership of half-life / CS by inserting DRM into it to get an "instant market" for his big plan to sell games and spy on his own customers by forcing drm crapware into every fucking game.

The man is a fucking menace not some savior of gaming, valve was always fucking evil and the drm into half-life proved it. Gabe newell was a former microsoft executive who's motto was "extend, embrace, extinguish"

Half-Life 2 and CS:S don't use the Steamworks DRM.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
14. Re: Steam Top 10 May 30, 2017, 16:50 MeanJim

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 29, 2017, 19:44:
Add me in the rockstar launcher (MordecaiWalfish, without the space) if you want to do the heists. I had only really gone through them once or twice when they released. I can get a couple reliables to fill out the empty spots on our team if you don't have anyone else in mind. I'm down to start from the beginning or wherever you're at on them.

I sent a friend invite. My friend hasn't done any of the heists, so we'd just need a couple of people to fill in. I've done some of them with other people hosting, then when I got a place of my own I hosted them from the beginning. Although after yesterday, my friend may not want to play for a while. We were having fun doing the new Lamar missions. I did them myself last weekend and suggested he try them. We didn't have any problem up until the last mission. It took several tries during the first part to get people to realize we had to split up in pairs to steal two cars. My friend and I were using in-game voice, the others either had it turned off and weren't hearing us or just being dipshits. Finally when we got past that part, people kept quitting after dying a few times in the final gun fight.

MeanJim on Steam

2813 Comments. 141 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo