Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage https://steamcommunity.com/id/meanjim
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2823 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Euro Truck Simulator 2 Expansion Announced
4. Re: Euro Simulator 2 Expansion Announced Aug 12, 2017, 00:23 MeanJim

I wish they would do a little polish on the original map by bringing some of the new features that are in the new maps like the new businesses and drop-off locations.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
9. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 12, 2017, 00:16 MeanJim

Blue wrote on Aug 10, 2017, 16:09:
Not really. Trains follow tracks. Trucks playing follow the leader is a convoy.

Trains are a lot more efficient at hauling a lot of cargo long distances, plus the don't clog up the highways and streets. Musk would be better off investing in more rail lines, providing electricity along the rails so that trains could run on electricity along the rail rather than the diesel/electric locomotives we currently use. You still need trucks for end-point delivery though.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2017, 16:04 MeanJim

Tesla Inc is developing a long-haul, electric semi-truck that can drive itself and move in "platoons" that automatically follow a lead vehicle...
So, basically a train?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
7. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Aug 9, 2017, 19:53 MeanJim

WaltC wrote on Aug 9, 2017, 14:26:
One broadband choice...yada, yada, yada...;) I wonder when silly liberals will understand that "competition" cannot be "legislated,"

It can, it has, and it worked in the past. Maybe you're not old enough to remember when there was only one telephone company in the US, AT&T, which also owned the largest company that built telephone communications equipment in the US. There was no competition, so prices where high. No competition meant there was no drive for innovation and technology stagnated. AT&T was broken up and forced to compete, which drove innovation for new technology, which drove prices down. Today, if I'm not happy with my telephone provider, there are a dozen or so other providers I can switch to.

Right now, I'm not happy with my ISP. I have been having problems since May. Every time it rains, I lose my internet connection, and it has rained a LOT. I have made over a dozen calls, and had to take time off to wait for a tech to come by over a dozen times to come out and not find a problem because they don't come out when it's raining. Now they're threatening to make me pay for future service calls because they've been out here many time and have not found a problem when they come, even though I call when it rains and the phone tech can see that my connection is down.

I can't switch to another ISP or threaten to switch if they won't fix it, because there is no competition here. There is another ISP in the city, but they don't offer services in my area. They've neatly sliced up the area to avoid competition with a few exceptions of where their "borders" touch and a few lucky people get to have a choice.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. IBM's world record- 330TB uncompressed data on a palm-sized tape cartridge. Aug 2, 2017, 17:34 MeanJim

Of all the backup devices I have ever used, the tape drive has been the least reliable. The tapes aren't the problem, it's the tape drive that always fails, and it usually takes the tape with it.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Jul 29, 2017, 18:51 MeanJim

Children, adults suffer carbon monoxide poisoning in video game trailer.
That wasn't the kind of "video game trailer" I was expecting.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
2. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Jul 29, 2017, 18:22 MeanJim

The Psychic Readers Network owns the rights to the persona of Ms. Cleo and claims to have spent $100 million to make her famous, while the makers of GTA have made over $500 million on her lookalike.

Yeah, everyone that bought GTA Vice City did so because it has a lookalike of Ms. Cleo in it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. How to use a 4K TV as a computer monitor. Jul 19, 2017, 21:36 MeanJim

Plug it in?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > More Steam Discovery Changes Planned
4. Re: More Steam Discovery Changes Planned Jul 13, 2017, 17:01 MeanJim

I hope this means they will stop recommending those weird ass anime visual novels to me. I have never played one and I mark them as not interested, but every winter and summer sale when browsing the discovery queue, they keep recommending them.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2017, 20:17 MeanJim

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 12, 2017, 13:38:
Yet another reason to hate Windows 10. As if I needed another...

I am forced to use 10 at work, and it fucking hinders me greatly. I hate it. I use three monitors, including the one on the laptop itself. 10 never remembers window locations on lock and unlock. Actually, it's odd because rarely it does remember just fine, but 95% of the time, it forgets.

Windows Explorer often fucks up and forgets about alt+tab, so I have to restart Explorer, which of course closes any folder windows I had open.

I have my taskbar on all three screens set up to auto-hide, and it's two notches tall. Every time I come back from the lock screen, I have to do a workaround to get the auxiliary taskbars to auto-hide. They forget that they're supposed to do this, and stay on screen until I right click the clock and enable and then disable search/Cortana (it will say search instead of Cortana if you entirely disable Cortana as I have done), and then it will go back to auto-hiding again. It also often forgets to be two ticks tall. And not uncommonly, one or more of the taskbars will be basically blank until I do this as well.

There are others in the list, but these are the main annoyances I have to deal with constantly. I lock my PC every time I leave my desk, and most of these crop up when returning from a lock screen. Rearranging all my windows on my screens and fixing the fucking auto hide alone waste a lot of my time that would be better spent working rather than hindered by my shitty OS. Windows 7 for eternity for me until Linux starts not sucking for gaming.

I've had my share of annoyances with Win10, but I haven't experienced any of those problems.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Shadow Warrior Classic is Free
4. Re: Shadow Warrior Classic is Free Jul 6, 2017, 02:20 MeanJim

Hasn't this been free for a while now?  

MeanJim on Steam

33. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 21:45 MeanJim

Orogogus wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 20:56:
I don't know what you think is bullshit.

I was calling bullshit on your statement that "the wheelchair guys don't even have to go to the business in question. They can just sue and then see who coughs up money." You're making it sound like people in wheelchairs have nothing better to do than go around looking for people to sue. You do have to have been in the business to legitimately sue them. They're called drive by ADA lawsuits. They were in the news a lot a year or so ago. Scumbag lawyers go around finding businesses to sue, then pay some poor schmuck in a wheelchair to sign as the plaintiff and promise a bonus for each one settled. They've started cracking down on these schemes, but the sad part is that these mass lawsuits have drowned out people with legitimate complaints.

MeanJim on Steam

32. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 21:26 MeanJim

Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 20:15:
Yeah, and you've obviously never run your own business. Most people that open up their first place are doing so by the skin of their teeth. We don't have deep pockets to accommodate a minority that makes up less than 1% of society. We had to forgo our draft fridge for over a year because of those costs. You know what that translates into for lost sales? And because of those lost sales that means people not being hired by us, the brewery, and every other ancillary business that's tied to that. And all for what so that 1 person in 100,0000 just may, *may* come by our place one day and need to use the bathroom. I love how liberals like you are always so free with other peoples money. If you think it's so goddamned important you pay for it. Of course that'll never happen. The moment people like you are forced to pony up any dough it's a completely different story. Not like hardcore lefties know what real work is anyway.

You can't pick and choose which building codes you want to comply with. If you built a new building for your business, it should have been built accessible to begin with. If you had to install an accessible bathroom, then it wasn't built to code, or you bought/leased/rented an old building that needed to be brought up to code. If the latter was the case, you should have known it would need modification and it would be up to the owner of the building to make the modifications, and if you bought the building in that condition, you should have negotiated the price down before buying it knowing it would need modification.

If your business is open to the public, it must be open to the whole public. Just like you can't chose which building codes you want to comply with, you can't chose which members of the public you want to serve. Oh, and it took me a couple of minutes on Google to find the percent of population in wheelchairs, which is about 9% in US and 8% in Canada. That's a lot of customers to turn away.

MeanJim on Steam

27. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 20:16 MeanJim

Orogogus wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 19:41:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 17:24:
I'm a believer they have their own organization for this and for every region in Murica, there is that wheelchair person that goes store to store just looking for trouble and heading straight to city hall to report you. If they need it or not... they will just do it.

In Southern California, the wheelchair guys don't even have to go to the business in question. They can just sue and then see who coughs up money. Some places will fight it, but others will cave because it's cheaper to settle even if they're in compliance. From friends who operate or have operated restaurants in San Diego, it seems like 100% of the restaurants here get sued, it's just a matter of when and how often. Don't know about retail stores.

Oh bullshit. I've read about those and seen them on the news. Those lawsuits you're talking about are being filed by scumbag lawyers trying to make a buck, not "the wheelchair guys."

MeanJim on Steam

23. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 19:49 MeanJim

Eirikrautha wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 19:05:
First, they can't ever have a "normal" life. So, as much as we'd all like to make life as smooth for them as it is for the ambulatory, that's an impossibility based on their membership in the category in the first place.

Second, they are disabled. Stating that the environment makes them disabled is like saying that chemistry is at fault for salt-induced hypertension. The fact that they can't do what a normal baseline human can do (i.e. walk) is the definition of disabled.

Third, the idea that "[i]f it costs too much for business owners then state has to support it" is one of the most economically illiterate statements I've ever heard. Where the hell does the "state" get its money? From the businesses and citizens that it taxes. So, we'll slightly reduce the costs to any one person or business by spreading it across many more, and hide it from everyone by lumping it into what everyone pays in taxes. At least be intellectually honest and say that you want the rest of the citizens in society to pay for the conveniences of the disabled. I could respect that, at least (we do it with mental institutions, etc.). But to handwave the cost away by appeals to "state" funding...

FFS there are a lot of cold, heartless people here. Someone once said; "The true measure of a society can be found in how it treats its most vulnerable members." This affects all of us in some way. Whether a person is born disabled, becomes disabled by an accident or fighting in wars we shouldn't be in, or you just get old, we're all going to need accessible facilities and transportation eventually. Unless you want go back the "good old days" when we locked the disabled away so we didn't have to see them.

As for who covers the cost of making things accessible, if it's a new building/business, it must be built to code so to begin with, so it wouldn't cost any extra. Buildings built before the ADA are exempt, but they must make a reasonable attempt to to comply with the ADA if they make modifications. Most states already have programs to provide assistance to help cover the costs of modifications, and that money comes from taxes. I don't see why there is an objection to that. We all pay taxes that pay for things we don't use. I don't have kids, but I'm glad my taxes help pay to educate others. The last thing I want is some uneducated dipshits taking care of me in the old folks home while I'm trying to finish off my Steam Backlog before I kick the bucket.

MeanJim on Steam

21. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 29, 2017, 19:09 MeanJim

Cutter wrote on Jun 29, 2017, 12:55:
Exactly. How many wheelchair buses and/or taxis do you see in the run of a day even in a major city? Not many.

Every major city I've been to in the US where I've used public transportation, all the buses had wheel chair ramps on them. In the UK, all licensed taxis have to be wheelchair accessible.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jun 28, 2017, 22:08 MeanJim

It will also create a perfc.dat file in the C:/Windows directory (which is why the vaccination works with a read only file of that name).
That's all it takes to block infections?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 26, 2017, 16:10 MeanJim

Blue wrote on Jun 26, 2017, 11:29:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 26, 2017, 10:36:
Is it just me, or is anyone else seeing odd behavior from the news forum index? I actually rebooted since it had been a while on the PC, but that hasn't seemed to fix it.

I am seeing oddness too. Seems like it's not updating very well without forced refreshes. Is that similar to what's happening to you?

The only weirdness I've noticed today is that links are now opening in the current window. I've tried toggling the option off and back on, but links don't open in new tabs/windows anymore.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jun 25, 2017, 17:14 MeanJim

NetHead wrote on Jun 25, 2017, 13:12:
Transfer Steam Games to an SSD without Redownloading.

Well over a decade old now, insanely successful and profitable, how on earth does such a headline even exist today.

From a programming side it's dead simple and easy to add the user friendly functionality of being able to move games, i.e. change it's freaking path.

How it is possible to have such a monumental "don't give a shit" attitude about one's main product/service that something so simple wasn't added in a days work during beta, nevermind headline worthy over a decade later.

I can't imagine a company the world over that wouldn't be jealous of being able to have such utter disregard for their product and customers while being hailed as the savoir of the industry with countless of those same customers helping drive it towards a monopoly.

This has been built into the Steam client for a while now. Right click the game, properties, local files move install folder. They mention that in the 3rd paragraph of the article.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Elite Dangerous The Return Patch Plans
20. Re: Elite Dangerous The Return Patch Plans Jun 14, 2017, 20:50 MeanJim

Wash Washburne wrote on Jun 14, 2017, 13:26:
...but if you don't really want to do spreadsheets in space, this is it...at least until Star Citizen comes out.

I enjoyed Evochron Mercenary. I bought Evochron Legacy at release, but haven't been able to play much of it because my joystick is crapping out.

MeanJim on Steam

2823 Comments. 142 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo