Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2686 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > TwitchPrime for Amazon Prime Members
8. Re: TwitchPrime for Amazon Prime Members Oct 2, 2016, 13:14 jimnms

RTFA?
Twitch Prime is available starting today to Prime members in the US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Italy and Spain.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Windows 10 Sep 30, 2016, 20:54 jimnms

Windows 10's updating and rebooting without asking is really pissing me off. Last night Windows 10 downloaded updates and rebooted on me while I was in the middle of using the system. I have the active hours set to 10am-10pm, and it updated and rebooted at 10:30pm, without warning, even though I was sitting there using the computer at the time. I believe this is the 3rd time it has done this. The first time it did it, it actually woke the computer up from sleep to reboot it in the middle of the night. I had all kinds of shit open, which is why I put it in sleep mode, so I could continue the next day. I woke to find my computer running and all of my shit closed down. The other time was similar to last night. I was using the computer after the "active hours," left to go to the kitchen or take a piss or something, and come back to find my computer rebooted and installing updates.

I've tried all of the solutions I can find (except two, which I'll get to in a minute), but it seems MS keeps "fixing" them. Why do they insist on not letting people have control over when their machines download, install updates and reboot?

Two fixes I haven't tried have some side effects I don't like. One is to disable the Windows Update service completely, but I've read that somehow it magically re-enables anyway. The other fix is to edit the registry and make Windows think your ethernet connection is metered. This supposedly will keep Windows from automatically downloading updates, but this also includes definition updates to Windows Defender. If I did that, I'd have to manually check for those to keep my system safe(ish), and I won't know if that works until the next round of updates for Windows 10.

I had an idea this afternoon that I'm going to try instead. Windows triggers the reboot by creating a scheduled task after downloading updates. Disabling or deleting the task doesn't stop it like some articles claim because Windows re-creates this task every time it downloads updates. My idea is to create a new task to disable the reboot task and make it run every hour or so. I won't know if it works until the next time Windows updates though, but it seems like it should do the trick.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
15. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 27, 2016, 22:28 jimnms

I was thinking if they really wanted to keep us safe they'd let us uninstall it and fucking Flash player.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Sep 22, 2016, 23:57 jimnms

Retired wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 19:53:
Wow. IF you are a fan of Threewave CTF that video in the article is a great watch and listen. Has a cool history of the project and dude in the middle of it.

Holy crap I still recognize those maps. We used to have weekly LAN parties back then and played the shit out of Threewave CTF and later Thunder Walker.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Tyranny Video Diary
12. Re: Tyranny Video Diary Sep 22, 2016, 23:41 jimnms

I've been very interested in this since it was announced. The funny thing is, if they went to Kickstarter for this, I probably would have thrown money at my screen, but considering my fucking backlog (and the amount of patches to get POE finished), this will have to wait for a sale. Also with it being a Paradox title, who loves their DLC, is another reason to wait.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > BioShock Remastered Fixes
8. Re: BioShock Remastered Fixes Sep 16, 2016, 22:26 jimnms

Kosumo wrote on Sep 16, 2016, 18:28:
Having never played very far into Bioshock, this is a good time for me to play it from start to finish. (maybe once the bugs have been looked at)

People recommend Bioshock? (I played and enjoyed Infinate)

I never finished the original Bioshock. I got far enough for the big reveal of the shocking secret, but I had already figured it out long before then. I think I was close to the end, but I just lost interest in continuing.

I got Bioshock Infinite for free (or it might have been $1) from one of those GMG/Playfire promotions. I actually finished it, and like the first one, it was totally predictable. I had already figured out what was going on about half way through, so it was no surprise when I got to the end.

I went ahead and bought Bioshock 2 and its DLC during the summer sale after they announced the free upgrade, so I'll give them a try again after they've had time to fix it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 15, 2016, 04:42 jimnms

Frijoles wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 11:57:
In my case, exclusives I'll never play. My PS4 (and 3) are expensive Blu-Ray players. But by god, some day I will finish The Last of Us.

Just watch it on YouTube, it's basically just a semi-interactive movie. I watched a little bit of it to see what the hype was about, and I didn't see much game going on. There was a little bit of simplistic platforming and some shooting. You could see the shooty parts coming when the level opened up with conveniently placed cover blocks. It also looked like if a player died during one of these and reloaded from the auto save, the game toned it down to make it easier to get through.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Review Changes to Fight Fraud
10. Re: Steam Review Changes to Fight Fraud Sep 13, 2016, 10:53 jimnms

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 10:12:
That's some fucking bullshit on the reviews.

That's pretty much exactly what I said when I saw that. The only time I buy directly from Steam anymore is during their sales. I don't write many reviews, but I've been thinking about going through and writing reviews for the games I enjoy, but fuck it, there's no point now if it isn't going to count for anything. Of the reviews I have written, only one I actually bought from Steam, the rest were keys.

They can do better than this. They should weigh reviews with more play time higher than those with the minimum of 0.2 hours, or not even count the review in the overall score if the reviewer played it less than 2 hours.

Hell GOG doesn't even require you to have bought the game from them to write a review.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Apple’s iPhone 7 announcement- what to expect. Sep 2, 2016, 18:27 jimnms

A new, slightly updated iPhone 7 in a few months that will make you regret buying it.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 31, 2016, 17:15 jimnms

I didn't get an email, and I'm pretty sure I've had a Dropbox account since before that date. I think I might have changed it already since the breach when I started updating to 16+ character passwords, but I changed it again anyway.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched
37. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched Aug 24, 2016, 14:12 jimnms

I haven't even played it yet and I'm somewhat regretting buying it. I knew they were going to release story DLC later, and that's usually a "buy it when complete" purchase for me. I only bought it because I built a new PC and wanted a new game to play on it, and I was able to pre-order it for $40. I can't refund it since I didn't buy it from Steam.  

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2016, 14:03 jimnms

ItBurn wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 13:36:
Hey Blue. There's this new dinosaur ad in the comments and it's constantly crashing. It's a flash crash. It freezes my whole browser. It keeps crashing even if I stop the flash process.

You shouldn't have flash enabled all the time. There are very few sites where flash is needed, so I it set to ask to activate (Firefox).

MeanJim on Steam

5. Windows 10 Annoyances Aug 24, 2016, 13:58 jimnms

Just when I thought I had sorted out all of Win10's annoyances that I could fix, it sprung a new one on me last night. I always put my system to sleep and reboot it every couple of weeks. I put the system to sleep, crawl into bed, turn off the light and just as I get comfortable I hear the system turn on. It was doing this right after I installed Win10 and it was the network adapter waking it, so disabled it from being able to wake the system. I got up, checked to see what woke it and it didn't show anything. I go to the network adapter's advanced settings and disable the WOL setting in the driver, put it back to sleep and go to bed.

This morning I wake up to find my system on again, and it has also rebooted, closing down everything I had open. Furious2 I looked in the event viewer and it woke up at 3:45am, then Windows update installed updates and rebooted just after 5am.

I did some searching to find out how to stop this, and found this. Running that powershell command in Step 3 to list all tasks allowed to wake the system showed that the UpdateOrchestrator task was the only task allowed to wake the system that was enabled. I'm still not sure it caused it since the system woke up at 3:45am and that task is scheduled for 5:12am.

I did Step 2 and disabled the task from waking the system and set the permissions on it. Everything else except Step 1 I had already done. I don't want to completely disable wake timers because I do occasionally use task scheduler to wake my system to do something while I'm away.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews Aug 22, 2016, 17:09 jimnms

I got my key today from Games Republic, and it's pre-loading now.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 22, 2016, 16:22 jimnms

Dirty Butler wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 20:52:
I preordered from GMG and already have a key and have the game loaded on steam. Not that it answers your question at all, just sayin.

I got my key today and it is indeed a pre-order key. I was a bit worried for a while. I've never used this store before, but it was a good deal. They're owned by 11-bit Studios, which developed This War of Mine and others, so I figured they could be trusted. They even gave me a 10% off code for anything, even already discounted games, to apologize for the delay.

MeanJim on Steam

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 22, 2016, 02:49 jimnms

Creston wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 22:47:
IIRC they said that they did away with the silly pre-order shit that they had going for awhile, and everyone who bought it would just get all the typical stuff such as the extra mission. Obviously the Limited edition etc still gets more, but all the basic pre-order stuff should be included.

Even if you miss it, it probably won't really amount to anything. The extra mission for DE:HR (rescuing Tong's kid) was pathetic. Literally a single room added onto a sewer with four guards and a cell in it.

The store page for DX:MD shows the following bonuses for pre-ordering:
  • “Desperate Measures” extra in-game mission
  • Covert Agent Pack (Intruder Gear, Enforcer Gear and Classic Gear + 1 Praxis Kit + 1000 Credits)
  • Digital Novella
  • Digital Comic Book
  • Digital Artbook
  • Digital OST Sampler

• I thought the pre-order content for DX:HR varied depending on where you bought it. I thought you got some starting money, some of those hacking devices and different starting weapon depending on the retailer. I thought these were later released as DLC. I didn't pre-order so I didn't get any of that. I thought it was kind of weird how you're this big-shot security guy and you start out broke and the only money you ever get is what you loot from your enemies, and your boss at the start only gives you the choice between a revolver or a stun gun and a tiny bit of ammo for that first mission.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 21, 2016, 19:52 jimnms

Does anyone know if the pre-order mission with DX:MD is going to be released later? I remember there being some backlash about some of the pre-order stuff a while back and they changed it. For some reason I remember reading that the pre-order mission would be a timed exclusive and be released for everyone later, but I can't seem to find any recent info about it.

I'm asking because I pre-ordered DX:MD a couple of weeks ago from Games Republic, but there is still no Steam key in my games list on the site. I then saw comments on their store page from other people saying that it's not a pre-order like you get in other places with the stupid bonus stuff, but just a pre-order of the final retail game.

I only pre-order stuff if I find a good deal on it, and I got it from Games Republic for $39.99 which is a good deal. GMG has the real pre-order for only $5 more. I'm tempted to request a refund and buy it from GMG.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
    2. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 19, 2016, 01:22 jimnms

17-inch gaming laptops are one big compromise.

FTFY

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer
    12. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer Aug 19, 2016, 01:20 jimnms

It's still $39.99 at Games Republic.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
    16. Re: Windows 10 auto-enabled GameDVR last week - here’s how to turn it off and save your frames. Aug 17, 2016, 12:22 jimnms

SlimRam wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 02:04:
    jimnms wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 17:29:
    You’ll need a Microsoft account to disable it the normal way...

What the god damn fuck! I'm not creating a fucking Microsoft account just to disable shit I don't want and didn't ask for.

The article also tells how to do it without making the account:

Open Registry Editor (Run > regedit)
    Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore
    Set the value of DWORD "GameDVR_Enabled" to 0
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\
    Create key "GameDVR"
    Create DWORD 32bit called "AllowgameDVR" and set to 0

Hope that helps.

I know. My point is that to do it the normal way requires an account. A lot of people aren't comfortable editing the registry.

MeanJim on Steam

2686 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 3.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo