Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2752 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Civilization VI Adds Australia and Mod Support
5. Re: Civilization VI Adds Australia and Mod Support Feb 24, 2017, 18:42 MeanJim

Cutter wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 16:50:
Thankfully I got this free or I would have been pissed, but yeah, stick with Civ 5. This is the first time the series failed.

Have you all forgotten how shitty Civ V was at launch. It was shit until Gods & Kings came out and really took off with Brave New World. That's why I'm waiting for Civ VI to get its expansions and then I'll buy it when it's finished.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released
11. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Criminal Past Released Feb 24, 2017, 18:03 MeanJim

Tyrric wrote on Feb 24, 2017, 15:59:
Maybe they can do one final DLC to tie up the cliffhanger I hear the game ended with. I never got to finish it, since my gaming PC decided it didn't want to run games anymore a few days after I got the game, but with the supposed hiatus of the series I'm just not looking feeling motivated to go back for rest of the story.

I just finished the game last night and it does end leaving you with more questions than answers, but the original ends that way too. I kind of liked how it ended with the Picus News stories summing up the outcomes of your missions, but it seems like they didn't bother to cover a lot of them. I thought it was cleaver how you find out some of them during the game, but a few others, like solving "The Last Harvest" murders doesn't get a news story.

I thought the game was pretty damn short compared to the last one. Although Steam says I clocked in 126 hours, I spent the first 40 of those in the city hacking and breaking into everything I could find, which king of spoils things because you end up going to a lot of those places later on for side missions. I was also going for a no-kill run, so I save scummed like crazy.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
12. Paint Shop Pro Feb 13, 2017, 20:52 MeanJim

That used to be a good photo editing software. I think I bought version 4 and upgraded through to version 9. Then Corel bough it and turned it to shit.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 3, 2017, 19:10 MeanJim

Kxmode wrote on Feb 3, 2017, 18:11:
Hope we can turn off WGM. I don't need another performance hit beyond the ones already occurring in Windows 10. My least favorite is the Draconian updates downloading whenever regardless of what I'm doing. I can't stop this, but I know it's going on according to Resource Monitor. Very annoying.

There are several ways to disable the Windows Updates. Option 1 only works on Win10 Pro, and I don't think option 2 works anymore, but options 3-5 work.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 2, 2017, 05:26 MeanJim

Cutter wrote on Feb 1, 2017, 21:47:
Well no, that sucks balls. What if you already own the game?

This is probably to stop people from stealing codes from boxes and selling them. I bet that after jumping through the extra hoops, it will still send you a Steam or GOG code that you can trade.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Hi-Rez Texture Pack Next Week
9. Re: Fallout 4 Hi-Rez Texture Pack Next Week Jan 31, 2017, 00:45 MeanJim

Task wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 21:35:
Do hi-rez textures add story and rpg somehow?

You can polish a turd, but it will still be a piece of shit.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas 2 Rumor
11. Re: Fallout New Vegas 2 Rumor Jan 31, 2017, 00:41 MeanJim

Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 21:40:
I wouldn't doubt Obsidian is working on something FO but I'd imagine they'd negotiate a better contract this time around. I doubt it'd be Vegas again as there's no reason to return to it. Far better to keep moving around the country or the world for that matter. That would be interesting actually, take it to some other places around the globe. Yeah they deffo need a new engine, although I'd prefer a return to isometric for sure.

I love isometric RPGs, but New Vegas sold me on first person Fallout. I'd like to see a hybrid of old and new. Get rid of the single, large, compressed open world and instead have a larger over-world map like the originals where you click to travel with random encounters along the way. Then have several detailed open world areas that are more closer to scale, but can be as big (or bigger) than the whole of FO3/New Vegas's one area. This way, you can have the game take place over a larger area with more detailed locations to explore.

I'd like them to keep it on the west coast. I though a while back I read something where they said if they got the chance to do another Fallout that they'd like to go back to the LA area. Use my idea above and it could take place in LA and surrounding areas, maybe some of the old locations from the first two games, and even Vegas. Maybe you have to hitch a ride with a caravan to travel between areas or acquire a vehicle of your own.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Wuh?? Jan 30, 2017, 20:58 MeanJim

nin wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 18:05:
Creston wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 17:42:
Fallout New Vegas 2??

Obsidian or GTFO.

This, and give them more than a few months this to make it this time.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
27. How to stop Windows 10 from rebooting after updates. Jan 30, 2017, 20:50 MeanJim

Simply disabling the task doesn't work. Windows Update will re-enable the task if updates are pending, and it gets re-created again after new updates are downloaded. I posted some links to articles showing how to stop the reboots in another topic the other day.

To really stop it, after disabling the task, you need to take ownership of and remove write permissions on the task's file located in C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator. This article gives the details if you don't know how to do it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
22. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 27, 2017, 01:36 MeanJim

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 05:56:
jimnms wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 03:07:
It took me 30 seconds on Google and find these:
How to permanently stop Windows 10 reboots after installing updates
Disable automatic reboots after installing updates in Windows 10
Conclusively stop wake timers from waking Windows 10 desktop

Good job, too bad its something entirely different, or, as I said, will be reset every patch.

No it doesn't. I used the above method and haven't had it come back since (Win10 Home). I'm guessing you didn't bother reading them or trying it before declaring it doesn't work. After disabling the task in task scheduler, you then modify the physical task's file permissions (NTFS ACLs) making it read only so that it can't be modified.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
13. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 26, 2017, 03:07 MeanJim

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 02:25:
ventry wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 17:44:
Well no.
I had this problem over a year ago.
However I used my brain for cognitive thinking and not for being a pissy win 10 crybaby.
Took all of 20 minutes to solve and has never been a problem since.
So, like Verno said: Fuk orf.
Too bad it comes back every patch.
So please let the world know how you permanently fixed it, Mr. Ultra Brain, or "fuk orf"!

It took me 30 seconds on Google and find these:
How to permanently stop Windows 10 reboots after installing updates
Disable automatic reboots after installing updates in Windows 10
Conclusively stop wake timers from waking Windows 10 desktop

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Jan 24, 2017, 23:42 MeanJim

KTR wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 21:16:
Woot! Praise GOG for SWAT4.

When I saw that on GOG this morning, I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough, even though I still have my boxed copy and disk. Why doesn't anyone make good tactical games like SWAT3/4 and the old Rainbow Six games anymore?

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: etc., etc. Jan 21, 2017, 16:09 MeanJim

Aero wrote on Jan 21, 2017, 00:28:
That's useful and strange that it hasn't been in there longer since it probably took one developer a day to implement at most. It's was always a pain in the ass doing this manually. Frequently is was more convenient to just delete a game and redownload it to where I wanted it moved.

What exactly was a pain about doing it manually? You just had to move the game's directory and its appmanifest.acf file and restart Steam if it was running. Sure this way is easier if you just want to move one game, but doing it manually wasn't difficult, unless you were doing it wrong, and is certainly faster than re-downloading several GB. It's still easier to do it manually if you want to move multiple games in one go.

MeanJim on Steam

1. Steam Quietly Adds the Ability to Move Game Install Folders. Jan 20, 2017, 22:04 MeanJim

There wasn't anything quiet about it. The new feature was listed right there in the change log when the Steam update window popped up. It was added to the Beta client a couple of days ago.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
21. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 9, 2017, 04:43 MeanJim

saluk wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 20:12:
They did piss me off last year when they stopped supporting the amazing tab groups feature that no one except me seemed to use.

That thing was amazing. There are add-ons but I haven't found any that work as well as that did.

I used that as well, and still do. The announcement that they were dropping it from a built in feature recommended Tab Groups for those that used the feature. It is based on the original Mozilla code. It used to be an addon before Mozilla integrated it, now they've spun it back off as an addon. I'm actually glad they did because now with it as an independent addon again it has been updated, new features added and it is so much better now. It seamlessly imported my tab groups from Firefox and it's like nothing ever changed for me (except the improvements). Firefox tended to corrupt the tab groups and I'd have to edit my session.js to manually repair it. This hasn't happened any more, but it has a backup feature so that you can restore a previous backup if it does.

As for tabs, memory usage and stability, Firefox's reliability has been rock solid recently. I have 4 tab groups (the main window and 3 saved that I use frequently). I hardly ever close Firefox. I currently have 62 tabs open among the 4 groups (34 on the main windows). Firefox has been running for 8 days and is using 1.8GB of memory.

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 01:18 MeanJim

RoboNerd wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 20:58:
I have a close relative who must eat black-eyed peas on New Years Day - that is somehow going to make the coming year better.

That's a thing around here too. You're supposed to eat cabbage and black eyed peas on New Years day for some reason. I remember the cabbage was supposed to bring you money or something, but I forget why the black eyed peas. If you go to the grocery store on New Years eve/day, the shelves will be empty of black eyed peas and cabbage.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Why you shouldn't use cotton swabs to clean your ears. Jan 4, 2017, 16:10 MeanJim

Because it says not to on the box?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jan 2, 2017, 22:03 MeanJim

When they showed the closeup around 3.5 minutes I was pretty sure I knew how it was done, and I was right.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > New Grand Theft Auto Online Mode
6. Re: New Grand Theft Auto Online Mode Jan 2, 2017, 14:10 MeanJim

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 2, 2017, 12:40:
Creston wrote on Jan 2, 2017, 12:10:
Out of curiosity, does any of the online stuff like new cars etc show up in the SP game too?

Yes you can

Do you have to start a new game for that? I only see the vehicles I gained access to during the single player game in my garages.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 1, 2017, 23:20 MeanJim

Why is the "Radioactive Boy Scout" on that list? He wasn't a tech pioneer, he was a careless idiot.  

MeanJim on Steam

2752 Comments. 138 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo