Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2636 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
37. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2016, 19:02 jimnms

Robert Osorio wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 18:41:
I looked at the G502 when I thought my spare G400 was dead (fixed a broken wire) but the issue I have with it is that the G502 only has 2 buttons on top. Going to the G502 would be a step backwards. My game playing style in FPS games relies on three buttons on top and two on the side.

Why should I have to adapt to a new paradigm? Why hasn't Logitech released a mouse with a similar 3 top button configuration as a successor to the G400/MX518?

Don't get me wrong. That's what I'll buy if I have to, but it will annoy the hell out of me.

Where are you seeing only two buttons on the top of the G502? On the top of the G502 there are the left/right buttons, the middle button, the wheel also tilts left and right for two more buttons, a mode shift button, and the two buttons that are by default for DPI. That is 8 buttons on top, and it has 3 buttons on the side for 11 buttons in total, all of which are programmable to whatever you want.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

36. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2016, 18:50 jimnms

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 22:07:
jimnms wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 18:32:
Logitech ditched the laser sensors and is now using optical sensors in all of their gaming mice. I had a G5 and G500, which both used laser sensors. Great mice, but they both had weird diagonal tracking issues on certain surfaces. I recently bought a G502 which is optical and it's soooo much better. It has lots of buttons to use for customizing too.

Neither of those mice used laser sensors, they were actually both some of the best optical sensors at their time, and top sellers for Logitech.

Both the G5 and G500 had laser sensors, I still have both of them. I replaced the G5 with the G500 because I thought something was wrong with it, but it turned out to be the tracking problem I mentioned earlier. I used the mouse on my desk for years without a mousepad, but over the years it polished the wood so smooth that it started having problems tracking on it. I bought a mouse pad and it made it better, but moving diagonally caused it to go crazy. I bought the G500 and it had the same problem. I then found a post on the Logitech support forum, and it appeared to be a common problem with those particular laser sensors when using them on certain surfaces. I eventually found a mousepad that it liked, and I still use it. It's a Steel Series hard surface. It feels like a fin grit sand paper, but the mouse slides across it like it's on ice. I believe Logitech now makes a similar mouse surface.

Moog wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 05:00:
Another vote for the Logitech G502 here.

It looks a weird shape in pictures but is *very* comfortable to use, if you're right handed.

Yeah, it is both the ugliest and the most comfortable mouse I've ever owned. My only complaint with it is that the middle mouse click is too damn stiff. The G5 and G500 were stiff as well thought. I ended up setting up a custom profile that makes the tilt function of the wheel act as the middle mouse button because I can bump the mouse wheel sideways with my finger quicker than lifting and pressing down on it.

MeanJim on Steam

34. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2016, 18:33 jimnms

Creston wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 19:10:
Yeah, shit seems to break randomly and permanently in Windows 10. I get at least one workstation (or laptop) a week at work where Windows Update just literally STOPS WORKING.

Reimage time!

Yay.

In any case, try running an SFC /SCANNOW in an elevated command prompt. If you're lucky, it might fix it.

Like I said, I tried every solution when I searched for "Windows 10 start menu search broken." That was one of the first things, and it didn't find a problem. There was one to download some troubleshooting deal from MS and it too found nothing wrong. The only thing left to do was re-install, and I planned to do that anyway after I'm done testing stuff out.

Dev wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 23:03:
Did you have a bunch of items in your start menu? As I recall, that might be a symptom of the FIXED size limit of the internal DB they started using for the start menu items . Something like no more than 256 items in the entire thing or else it will crap out. Because surely, no one installs more than a few applications, right? MS is so brilliant. I mean heck, an install of MS office can take up 20 on it's own. Almost as bad as the mythical "no one will use more than 640k ram" thing.
Anyway, I heard they fixed it in a patch.

I barely have anything installed. This install was to make sure all of the drivers worked, install some firmware updates, test out some software and run some break-in tests before re-installing for a "permanent" install.

Oddly enough, it's working today and I didn't do anything else to try and fix it.

MeanJim on Steam

28. Win10 Issues Jul 19, 2016, 18:54 jimnms

I had typed out a long ass post about my new system build yesterday and got distracted, then forgot about it, so I didn't post it.

I have the system built and I'm just playing around in Windows 10. I planned to do a re-install after the messing around, but I've already run into a problem that I can't seem to fix. Besides the start menu being complete shit, now search has decided to stop working. I've searched for solutions and tried everything except re-installing, which I'm going to do eventually anyway. It's not just the search that quit working, it doesn't do anything. Normally you can type commands too, like pressing start and typing regedit to get the registry editor instead of doing it through the run dialog, but that doesn't even work now. I know re-installing will fix it, but when I do that and get it setup and all of my shit installed and it breaks again, then what?

MeanJim on Steam

25. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 19, 2016, 18:32 jimnms

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 13:57:
Why can't Logitech (re)release the MX510 or the MX518? Man, those are legendary mice. I mean those are like the Gibson Les Paul 57' or 59' legendary kind of mice, nothing I've tried since has come close. Seriously, I'm afraid of whats going to happen when my MX518 craps out, I mean I've had it now for like 5 years (probably more), and it's definitely been the best mouse I've ever owned (or tried) apart from the MX510 which is basically the same thing but with a few less buttons. None of the new lazer mice come even close.

Logitech ditched the laser sensors and is now using optical sensors in all of their gaming mice. I had a G5 and G500, which both used laser sensors. Great mice, but they both had weird diagonal tracking issues on certain surfaces. I recently bought a G502 which is optical and it's soooo much better. It has lots of buttons to use for customizing too.

PHJF wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 16:35:
Only thing I don't like about G502 is the scroll wheel, which has a mechanical toggle between "infinity scroll" mode (which I haven't the slightest idea of a use for) and a rather junky-feeling traditional scroll.

I actually like that feature. I leave it in the "fee wheeling" mode except when gaming. Scrolling through web pages or long documents is so damn easy when the mouse wheel spins freely. It's a bit touchy on the G502 though. The mouse wheel has a bit of weight to it, so when it stops it tends to want to rock back and forth which will make it scroll up and down if it stops on its own and you're not prepared for it. I've gotten used to it though, just make sure to use your finger to stop, but it still occasionally wants to jump a line or two after you stop scrolling. The G500 I had before this had the same feature, but it wasn't as sensitive even though the wheel was just as free spinning. What I don't like is the texture of the G502's wheel. The G500 has a rubber coating and the G502 is metal with notches.

My old G5 didn't have this feature, but when I was cleaning out years of gunk built up in the scroll wheel once, the little part that gives it the clicky feeling popped out and I couldn't find it. It didn't spin as feely as the 502's wheel, it has some tension, but I grew to like it and was happy to see it become a toggleable feature on the G500.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 16, 2016, 15:12 jimnms

Was it really that big of a problem to spend time and money on?  

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 13, 2016, 18:42 jimnms

I pretty much missed out on prime day anyway thanks to my shitty ISP. I didn't get home until around 7pm and found my internet was out. Looking at my router log I could see that it went out just after 4pm. There had been a few short outages in the past week or so only lasting a few minutes to about an hour.

I had a problem a few months ago where my internet would go down right around 4pm and come back up around 7pm, almost as if it were on a schedule. This happened right after a storm knocked down utility polls, so I just figured they were working on it since it was so consistent. I put up with it for several days before calling back then.

This time I called the 24 hour support number to report the outage and the soonest someone can come out is tomorrow. My internet didn't come back online until around 10:30pm, and from the short time I had to look around, it doesn't look like I missed out on much from the Prime Day sale.

The last time it happened, the first tech came out and checked the signal on the poll and told me the signal was "too hot." The next day another tech was outside, up the pole and when they came down I asked if they were working on it and said they were just sent out to check the signals in the area and that it was "too high."

I was sitting at my desk when the cable modem finally lit up, so I checked its signal status page. I decided to find out what those numbers mean to see if it was the same problem. According to the status, my downstream signal and power levels are pretty damn good. The upstream power level is where I'm having a problem. The power level last night and right now is at 59.2dBmV. According to what I read, this shouldn't go above 50, and I'm lucky to be connected because anything above 57 means the modem is struggling to maintain a connection.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
8. Re: Saturday Mobilization Jul 10, 2016, 02:18 jimnms

That explains something. My niece came over this evening, and after we ate, she she ran out the door and said she was going to go outside and look for Pokémon. I was kind of sitting there thinking WTF, and then I forgot to ask her about it when she came back in.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
4. LGR - Building a 486 DOS PC Jul 9, 2016, 16:42 jimnms

Oh man does that bring back memories nightmares. I'm about to embark on assembling my new PC since the last of the parts arrived a few hours ago (I didn't know FedEX did Saturday delivery). I wonder if in 20 years we'll be looking back at how much of a hassle it was running SATA cables like we do for those damn ribbon cables.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Windows Gaming Survey
15. Re: Windows Gaming Survey Jul 9, 2016, 00:21 jimnms

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 8, 2016, 21:36:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 8, 2016, 21:00:
Also liked the Win 10 limits frames and doesn't allow g-synch and free-synch, telling me bad things I didn't know. Is that true?

Yes. True for UWP (Windows store exclusive) apps. You can not mod UWP games, no multi GPU, no G-Sync/FreeSync, no MSI Afterburner, no Fraps, no GeForce Experience (no ShadowPlay), i.e. no support for any overlay 3rd party app at all.

UWP apps = GFWL 2.0 ... only even shittier than ever!

I hadn't heard about it either until saw it come up on the survey, so I did some Google-fu before answering. The top search results from a few months ago said the G-Sync/FreeSync had been patched. The articles I read said that the same games sold through Steam or elsewhere didn't have those problems, but I didn't know about not being able to mod Windows Store exclusive games. I don't plan on buying shit through the Windows Store anyway.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. The Crazy Plan One Guy Used To Get The World's Highest Steam Level Overnight… Jul 8, 2016, 23:33 jimnms

Money well spent. Ucrazy  

MeanJim on Steam

11. Taking the Win10 Pill Jul 7, 2016, 19:23 jimnms

Who has "upgraded" to Win10? Got any tips? With the free upgrade deadline approaching and the rest of the parts for my new system arriving tomorrow and Saturday, I'm preparing to put Win10 on my machines.

I've already downloaded and prepared a Win10 USB stick. From the Windows 10 download page, under the section on performing a clean install it says:
If you haven’t upgraded to Windows 10 yet and perform a clean installation, you’ll need to enter a qualifying product key for Windows 7, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10...

So it sounds like I can just start from a clean install and give it a Win7 code when prompted instead of installing Win7 and performing an upgrade.

I will install Win10 on the new machine from the start. I have a Win7 upgrade license that I never used, so I will use it on the new machine. Since the HD in my current system has to be replaced and I already had planned to swap it out once the new PC was built, I was going to install Win10 on it too. I'm probably going to go ahead and get that done tomorrow or tonight if I have time. I need to have a working PC while I'm building and setting up the new PC, and I don't know how much longer this drive will keep going. Everything important is backed up, so nothing would be lost if the drive up and dies. It will also give me a bit of time to play with Win10 and figure out how to set it up the way I like before doing it on the new machine. If for some reason it doesn't work out, I can always throw the old drive back in and boot back to Win7.

Before I upgrade my HTPC/Home Server, I need to find a replacement for Windows Media Center. I had been looking at some alternatives to try out, but the past few weeks have been crazy and I barely had time to finish ordering the parts for my new system and no time to test any of them out.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
11. Re: On Sale Jul 5, 2016, 01:53 jimnms

I also noticed complaints about other Bethesda titles (Fallout 3, New Vegas, Dishonored) not being discounted as much as previous sales.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Jul 2, 2016, 20:07 jimnms

nin wrote on Jul 2, 2016, 00:02:
Acleacius wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 23:45:
Sadly, never change price, just different front page listings, each day.

Kinda takes the fun out of it...

More like takes the frustration out of it. I'm glad the flash sales and community voting is gone. Now I don't have to try and get to Steam every 4-8 hours to check if a game I want is on a flash sale, or get pissed because a game I wanted didn't get voted for a discount. The past few sales have been frustration free for me, but I do miss the community participation that they used to have in some of the first sales.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 1, 2016, 14:11 jimnms

A federal judge for the Eastern District of Virginia has ruled that the user of any computer that connects to the Internet should not have an expectation of privacy because computer security is ineffectual at stopping hackers.

Doors are ineffectual at stopping burglars, so should I have no expectation of privacy in my own home?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 3 Hint?
13. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 Hint? Jul 1, 2016, 04:31 jimnms

Shouldn't it be called L3ft for D3ad?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Civilization VI England Trailer
2. Re: Civilization VI England Trailer Jun 29, 2016, 18:04 jimnms

I wish they would go back to having multiple possible leaders for each civ, each with different traits.  

MeanJim on Steam

17. Re: Bad timing and Win10... Jun 27, 2016, 01:34 jimnms

I'm keeping my GTX 970 from my current system.  

MeanJim on Steam

11. Bad timing and Win10... Jun 26, 2016, 21:53 jimnms

My system couldn't pick a worse time to go out on me with the Steam sale and being right in the middle of a new PC build. I mentioned a few weeks ago that my HD was sprouting bad sectors, but it seemed to have stopped and I have not had any more show up in a couple of weeks. I haven't gotten all of the parts for my new PC yet. I already bought and have received the MB, CPU and HD last week, because just by luck they went on sale. I have picked out the other parts, but I'm still undecided on a case.

This week has been a busy week and I have not had time to look at cases. Since the bad sectors stopped growing, I hopped it had settled down and I wouldn't have to deal with it until I got the new system up and running. I had been keeping an eye on the Windows log file for disk errors and running scans every few days just in case. The drive is partitioned with a small C: partition for Windows and certain programs and large D: partition for everything else. All of the bad sectors so far had been located in the same area in the middle of the D: partition. Last night before going to bed I was going to run a chkdsk scan overnight anyway and before restarting I checked the log. There was a new set of errors reporting bad blocks detected, and a few new ones that I haven't seen before saying "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:." I backup all of my important stuff alternating between two external drives. I had been doing it more often when the drive first started getting errors, but I had gone back to a weekly backup the past couple of weeks. I stayed up while I ran a fresh backup just in case, then let chkdsk run overnight. I heard it reboot a couple of times before I fell asleep, and when I woke up it had hung up at loading the login screen. I powered it off and on and it booted up just fine and it looks like chkdsk got a workout. Lots of file system errors were fixed and C: now has bad sectors.

I had to leave and only had time to check the log, so I made it run another scan for bad sectors while I was gone, which came back clean. There are corrupt files in Windows although the system boots and runs fine. I tried using SFC to repair them, but it gets 70% done and says it's unable to complete. I've tried in safe mode and get the same thing. I tried using a Win7 USB stick I made back when all of this started, just in case I needed it, to boot into rescue mode, and it tells me "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

At this point I've given up on trying to fix it. I'm going to just keep limping this one along as long as it works and hope to get the rest of the parts for my new PC ordered first, maybe tonight if I'm lucky or tomorrow. My important stuff is backed up, although there is some stuff not worth backing up that I'd hate to lose.

Whenever the time comes, I have a spare HD to put in here. When I made the Win7 USB stick a few weeks ago, I went ahead and made a Win10 USB stick too. I know there's a lot of hate for Win10, but I'm going to put it on my new system anyway and was going to go ahead and upgrade this one once I got the new system up and running before the free upgrade expires.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Oops Jun 26, 2016, 21:49 jimnms

Deleted... Wrong section.  

MeanJim on Steam

2636 Comments. 132 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo