Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2622 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 1, 2016, 14:11 jimnms

A federal judge for the Eastern District of Virginia has ruled that the user of any computer that connects to the Internet should not have an expectation of privacy because computer security is ineffectual at stopping hackers.

Doors are ineffectual at stopping burglars, so should I have no expectation of privacy in my own home?

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Left 4 Dead 3 Hint?
13. Re: Left 4 Dead 3 Hint? Jul 1, 2016, 04:31 jimnms

Shouldn't it be called L3ft for D3ad?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Civilization VI England Trailer
2. Re: Civilization VI England Trailer Jun 29, 2016, 18:04 jimnms

I wish they would go back to having multiple possible leaders for each civ, each with different traits.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Bad timing and Win10... Jun 27, 2016, 01:34 jimnms

I'm keeping my GTX 970 from my current system.  

MeanJim on Steam

11. Bad timing and Win10... Jun 26, 2016, 21:53 jimnms

My system couldn't pick a worse time to go out on me with the Steam sale and being right in the middle of a new PC build. I mentioned a few weeks ago that my HD was sprouting bad sectors, but it seemed to have stopped and I have not had any more show up in a couple of weeks. I haven't gotten all of the parts for my new PC yet. I already bought and have received the MB, CPU and HD last week, because just by luck they went on sale. I have picked out the other parts, but I'm still undecided on a case.

This week has been a busy week and I have not had time to look at cases. Since the bad sectors stopped growing, I hopped it had settled down and I wouldn't have to deal with it until I got the new system up and running. I had been keeping an eye on the Windows log file for disk errors and running scans every few days just in case. The drive is partitioned with a small C: partition for Windows and certain programs and large D: partition for everything else. All of the bad sectors so far had been located in the same area in the middle of the D: partition. Last night before going to bed I was going to run a chkdsk scan overnight anyway and before restarting I checked the log. There was a new set of errors reporting bad blocks detected, and a few new ones that I haven't seen before saying "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:." I backup all of my important stuff alternating between two external drives. I had been doing it more often when the drive first started getting errors, but I had gone back to a weekly backup the past couple of weeks. I stayed up while I ran a fresh backup just in case, then let chkdsk run overnight. I heard it reboot a couple of times before I fell asleep, and when I woke up it had hung up at loading the login screen. I powered it off and on and it booted up just fine and it looks like chkdsk got a workout. Lots of file system errors were fixed and C: now has bad sectors.

I had to leave and only had time to check the log, so I made it run another scan for bad sectors while I was gone, which came back clean. There are corrupt files in Windows although the system boots and runs fine. I tried using SFC to repair them, but it gets 70% done and says it's unable to complete. I've tried in safe mode and get the same thing. I tried using a Win7 USB stick I made back when all of this started, just in case I needed it, to boot into rescue mode, and it tells me "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

At this point I've given up on trying to fix it. I'm going to just keep limping this one along as long as it works and hope to get the rest of the parts for my new PC ordered first, maybe tonight if I'm lucky or tomorrow. My important stuff is backed up, although there is some stuff not worth backing up that I'd hate to lose.

Whenever the time comes, I have a spare HD to put in here. When I made the Win7 USB stick a few weeks ago, I went ahead and made a Win10 USB stick too. I know there's a lot of hate for Win10, but I'm going to put it on my new system anyway and was going to go ahead and upgrade this one once I got the new system up and running before the free upgrade expires.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Oops Jun 26, 2016, 21:49 jimnms

Deleted... Wrong section.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Microsoft releases KB 3161647, KB 3161608 to fix slow Windows 7 update scans. Jun 24, 2016, 22:49 jimnms

This started happening to both of my Win7 machines last week.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway
5. Re: Steam Summer Picnic Sale Underway Jun 23, 2016, 13:43 jimnms

SpectralMeat wrote on Jun 23, 2016, 13:19:
So are there daily deals or everything that is on sale for a certain percentage right now will be on sale for the same price until July4?

There won't be any more daily or flash deals during sales. It would overload Steam's support person with all of the refund requests when people buy shit on day one and refund it when it gets a lower price during a daily or flash sale.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number Level Editor
2. Re: Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number Level Editor Jun 22, 2016, 23:47 jimnms

This sale ends right when the Steam summer sale starts. Does that mean this game won't be on sale during the summer sale?  

MeanJim on Steam

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2016, 21:16 jimnms

MattyC wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 20:26:
Quboid wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 18:22:
As someone who was still on dialup into the new millennium

Everyone stay calm... If he didn't touch you, cough on you, or look in your general direction you should be fine. The rest of you will need to gather all the steel wool and matches you can carry while we unsoiled flee to safety.

I didn't get broadband until mid 2002. DSL was available for years, but not in my neighborhood. My neighborhood sat in a dead zone or something. The neighborhood sat in between two major roads that had other neighborhoods branching off of them. The main roads as well as the other neighborhoods that branched off of them had DSL, but not mine. I couldn't even get 56k dialup and was still stuck on 33.6k until the cable co. started offering ineternet service.

MeanJim on Steam

35. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 22, 2016, 18:07 jimnms

DangerDog wrote on Jun 22, 2016, 12:17:
Threewave ctf, Action Quake and Jailbreak were my favorite mods.

Those were the days indeed, except for the 56k dialup connection that pretty much sucked.

If only I had been rich like Joe Rogan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVBDixfYuLk

We used to do weekly LAN parties back in those days. A couple of friends owned a computer store in town and it started out with just close friends playing at the office on weekends. Then people started inviting other people and those people started inviting others, and somehow word got around and people started just showing up.

I worked at an ISP and another friend worked at a competing ISP. This was a small town so we didn't have big name ISPs, just the two locally run places. When the LAN parties petered out, a few of us would take our computers up to one of the ISPs and get on the T1 on weekends.

MeanJim on Steam

15. You Want Tastier Coffee? Freeze Beans, Then Grind Jun 17, 2016, 15:44 jimnms

In the end, coffee is just coffee: “It doesn’t matter if you like it hot or cold, or how you grind it, as long as you do it the same way every time,” said Dr. Hendon.

I don't agree with that at all. For the same reason I buy different beer every time, I like to change my coffee every now and then because you get used to it and eventually numb to the flavor. I buy a different roast, blend and/or brand every time. I don't weigh my coffee beans before or after grind, I just use a scoop and get roughly the same amount. I do use the same grind setting for whichever brewing technique I'm using, but as the article pointed out, you always end up with some inconsistency and have a mix of small and large particles. I mostly make my coffee with an AeroPress, but I'll switch to my drip machine every now and then just to mix it up.

MeanJim on Steam

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 16, 2016, 06:59 jimnms

Beamer wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 18:11:
Now I have this. Literally the smallest I could find. My monitors each hang off of it.

Every time I've moved my rent has doubled and my space has halved.

That's way too small for me. I prefer to have a larger desk where not only is my PC on it, I can also have room to keep other stuff on it like joysticks, etc, room to do paper work or work on other computers or projects. The other half of my L I have a spare machine set up, but it's also my "operating table" for when I need to work on a PC. I have a house and I don't think I'll be moving any time soon, but I still prefer desks that are easy to move.

Enahs wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 19:11:
If you go making your own L, I would go with something more like these designs:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/11844/
Which for those you then get separately the legs, and put one on all 4 corners. If you go with the design you linked, where the two desks join you will have the leg support in the way of your knees and easy transitioning from one side to the other. Where as if you went with the 4 corner legs, and left the one off after joining he two tables, it would not be a problem and plenty of knee/leg space.

I don't want anything too complicated. I just want room for my computer and some extra to do other work. I browsed Ikea some more and I'm liking that desk I linked earlier, or there is this one for just a little more which is a solid wood desk with four legs. Then there is this one which is about the same size except way cheaper.

I need to stop getting side tracked and finish ordering the parts for my PC though. Swapping desks is kind of a pain in the ass too.

MeanJim on Steam

26. Re: Windows Update Jun 16, 2016, 05:56 jimnms

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 22:28:
You said "woke", I am sure you have restarted both machines by now.
GWX Control Panel has a Win Up flush/reset button.
And I like the Win Up repair feature in Tweaking.com - Windows Repair v3.9.2.
None of my customers have called, but that don't mean a thing.
This guy is not reporting anything either and he is normally on top of issues like this http://www.infoworld.com/blog/woody-on-windows/

You might have to let them cook overnight, a watched pot never boils and all the jazz.

I restarted after doing the manual reset of windows update on my main desktop, but it didn't do anything and probably made it restart whatever the fuck it was doing. I don't have the GWX/Win10 updates installed on this machine. My other machine is a media center/DVR/home server and runs 24/7. I usually install updates on my desktop Wed. or Thurs. to make sure nothing breaks and the other machine is set to automatically apply updates on Sunday.

Finally around 9pm the updates downloaded and installed. The Windows Update process on the other machine finally stopped it's CPU munching sometime between 5pm and 6pm.

MeanJim on Steam

21. Windows Update Jun 15, 2016, 20:00 jimnms

Is Windows Update fucking up for anyone else on Windows 7? From the moment I woke my machine today, the svchost.exe process that handles Windows Update was chewing up a full core of my CPU. This wasn't unusual, but it usually stops after a few minutes. Three hours later it was still going. Using Process Hacker to inspect it, indeed shows it's Windows Update doing this. I checked my other Win7 machine and it's doing the same thing. I tried to go ahead and install the updates, but it sits on downloading 0% and never goes anywhere, all while this process sits eating up CPU time.

I tried resetting Windows Update by stopping the Windows Update service, deleting everything from C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution and checking for updates, but it has now been sitting there checking for updates for half an hour, still chewing up CPU time.

MeanJim on Steam

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 15, 2016, 17:55 jimnms

Enahs wrote on Jun 15, 2016, 16:44:
jimnms, then you might check out Ikea.

I saw this one at Ikea while browsing the other day. That's about the size of the longer end of my current L desk and looks simple enough for me. I wish there was an Ikea close to me so I could check one out and see how sturdy it is.

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 14, 2016, 20:52 jimnms

I don't want drawers or shelf, just a desk. I wouldn't call it modern and sleek since I had one 10+ years ago. I did find something close to what I had, except it had a shelf on one end and a cabinet on the other, and it looked like it was made of thin, flimsy material. I'll see if I can find it again and post a link.

Edit: This is pretty close to what I had, except mine didn't have that cabinet. I believe mine was slightly longer/wider and deeper. Thinking about it more, if I decide to get a new desk, I think I'd go with a simple straight desk, maybe get two and make my own L setup.

This comment was edited on Jun 14, 2016, 21:38.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
15. Re: etc., etc. Jun 14, 2016, 20:43 jimnms

Acleacius wrote on Jun 14, 2016, 08:36:
Most often like any mentally ill extremist, they buy semi then make it full auto.

It doesn't work that way.

MeanJim on Steam

3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 14, 2016, 17:53 jimnms

It's kind of odd that this topic comes up today. I mentioned in yesterday's OotB that I'm building a new PC and having trouble deciding on a case. I have an L desk with my tower on my desk in the corner part of the L, but I'm thinking of moving it under the desk so I can have more desk space. I prefer to have the tower on the desk so if I need to open it up for anything I just do it (after moving some stuff out of the way), but if it's on the floor, I either have to unplug it and put it on the desk or work on it on the floor. I don't have to open it that often, so the convenience of having the desk space might outweigh the inconvenience of working on the PC under the desk.

The placement of the tower is going to influence the type of case I get. If I decide to put it on the floor, I will get a case that has the front panel ports on top of the case, but if I decide to keep it on the desk I want a case that has them on the front. While looking at cases, I got side tracked and began looking at new desks thinking I may go for a desk change too.

I used to have a really nice corner desk, which got damaged when I moved into my first apartment years ago. I was able to fix it by drilling some new holes and moving the mounting hardware, but then it got damaged again when I moved out of the apartment. I kept using it, but gravity was basically the only thing holding together the right side of the desk.

I found one corner desk similar to what I had, but it's smaller. A lot of places lump L and corner desks into one category. Other places have separate categories for L and corner desks, but most of the desks they call corner desks are L desks so it's making it difficult to find one I like. I did find a simple straight desk that I like which is big enough and I could still put the tower on the desk or on the floor if I want.

MeanJim on Steam

13. New PC Build Jun 13, 2016, 18:56 jimnms

Well I pulled the trigger on the first pieces of my new system build late last night. I had a list of MB's I was looking at and was trying to decide on either the i5 6600K or splurge for the i7 6700K. NewEgg had a sale running over the weekend. The i7 was marked down $75, the i5 down $35, and the MB at the top of my list was $30 off, plus another $30 off buying them in a bundle. I decided to go for the i7 6700K because without the sale and bundle prices I was already prepared to pay the same for the i5 6600K.

I just bought the MB and CPU for now. I wanted to get those parts ordered before the sale ended. It was showing the sale ending at midnight PST Sunday, but it's still showing the sale prices as of now.

The only things I'll be carrying over from my old system is the GPU, PSU and Blu-ray drive. I had planned to keep my HD, but it started developing bad sectors, so I had to add that to the list. I have a spare HD, PSU and my old GPU to put back in this case to have as a functional second system to replace my ancient AMD 64x2.

I still need to pick out a CPU cooler, some RAM, HD, SSD and a case. The CPU cooler and RAM shouldn't be too hard to pick out. It doesn't look like there is any benefit in higher clocked RAM, but there is practically no price difference between DDR4 2133 and DDR4 3000.

As for HD, I'm looking for something in the 2TB range. SSD's on the other hand have changed a bit with this new generation of hardware. Other than the regular old SATA drives, there are two new types supported, M.2 and SATA Express. I don't see any SATA Express drives for sale anywhere and M.2 seems kind of pricey, so I'll probably just stick with an SATA SSD.

The case is probably going to be the hardest part for me to decide on. I like my current case and I would use it for my new system, but it doesn't have front panel USB3 ports, except for the one I have on a 3.5" card reader I installed along with a USB3 card. There are some similar ones by the same company, which are on my list as well as others. I like simple cases, no fancy windows, lights or LEDs.

One thing that's making the decision more difficult is I haven't decided where I'll put the case. I have an L shaped desk with one system on each side. I currently have my primary system on the desk, and my second system sits on the floor. I'm thinking of putting both on the floor and this will change what case I decide on. The benefit to moving it to the floor is freeing up desk space. The down side is that it's less convenient when I need to open it up for cleaning, upgrading, etc. If I put the tower on the floor, I'm going to go with a case that has the power and reset buttons and USB ports up top. If I keep it on the desk, I want a case with the USB ports lower.

I need to hurry up and make up my mind. I want to get the system put together and tested to make sure everything works before it's too late to send anything back if I get a DOA item.

MeanJim on Steam

2622 Comments. 132 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo