Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2686 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Windows 10 Adds Offline Gaming
9. Re: Windows 10 Adds Offline Gaming Oct 29, 2016, 15:12 jimnms

Microsoft, if you're serious about committing yourself to PC gaming, then get the fuck out of the way, it does better without you.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
23. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 28, 2016, 23:43 jimnms

RedEye9 wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 17:43:
HorrorScope wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 14:33:
Update: Still have the two services off on my PC's. No forced updates since. Going on 3 months.
So once a month you enable everything, download updates and then turn off everything again. That's one way to skin a cat.
http://www.infoworld.com/author/Woody-Leonhard/

If you still want updates without the forced reboots, I found a way. Just create a scheduled task to run the command "C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe /change /tn \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot /disable" on idle (I use 4 minutes).

Save this text as "Disable Windows Update Reboot Task.xml" (or whatever you want) then open task scheduler and import it.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
<Task version="1.2" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">
<RegistrationInfo>
<Date>2016-10-13T14:08:07.2288437</Date>
<Author></Author>
<URI>\Disable Windows Update Reboot Task</URI>
</RegistrationInfo>
<Triggers>
<IdleTrigger>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
</IdleTrigger>
</Triggers>
<Principals>
<Principal id="Author">
<UserId>S-1-5-18</UserId>
<RunLevel>HighestAvailable</RunLevel>
</Principal>
</Principals>
<Settings>
<MultipleInstancesPolicy>IgnoreNew</MultipleInstancesPolicy>
<DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>false</DisallowStartIfOnBatteries>
<StopIfGoingOnBatteries>true</StopIfGoingOnBatteries>
<AllowHardTerminate>true</AllowHardTerminate>
<StartWhenAvailable>false</StartWhenAvailable>
<RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>false</RunOnlyIfNetworkAvailable>
<IdleSettings>
<Duration>PT4M</Duration>
<WaitTimeout>PT0S</WaitTimeout>
<StopOnIdleEnd>false</StopOnIdleEnd>
<RestartOnIdle>false</RestartOnIdle>
</IdleSettings>
<AllowStartOnDemand>true</AllowStartOnDemand>
<Enabled>true</Enabled>
<Hidden>false</Hidden>
<RunOnlyIfIdle>true</RunOnlyIfIdle>
<WakeToRun>false</WakeToRun>
<ExecutionTimeLimit>PT72H</ExecutionTimeLimit>
<Priority>7</Priority>
</Settings>
<Actions Context="Author">
<Exec>
<Command>C:\Windows\System32\schtasks.exe</Command>
<Arguments>/change /tn \Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot /disable</Arguments>
</Exec>
</Actions>
</Task>

Basically after Windows 10 downloads an update that requires a reboot, it creates a task to reboot the system outside of the active hours. Manually disabling or deleting it doesn't work because it just gets recreated. If you use your computer outside what you tell it are active hours, then when it thinks the computer isn't in use, it reboots (I think it waits for 5 minutes of idle, which is why I run my task at 4 minutes). Three times I was using it when this happened, once I was in a game, paused it to go take a piss, came back to find Windows applying updates and restarting, once I had just started watching something on Netflix, and the last time I was typing something up and proof reading it when it restarted. It didn't give me a warning at all. It only shows a notice when it initially schedules the reboot, but if you're not at the computer when that pops up, you have no idea it's coming.

It also sets the flag to wake the computer to run the task, and it ignores the disable wake timers option too. I never shut down, I just put my system to sleep. The first time there were updates after building this system, I had put the computer to sleep, got in bed, turned out the light when the computer turned back on. I remembered a time when there was a bug with a network driver that caused my system to randomly wake up if WOL was enabled, so I disabled WOL, put it back to sleep and went back to bed. I wake up the next morning to find my system on and all of my shit closed and gone. That's when I started digging into the new Windows update system to find a workaround. There were some others I found that were overly complicated or required you to run a program, then it hit me, why not "fight fire with fire" and use task scheduler.

I've now been through three updates without a forced reboot.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Batman - The Telltale Series Episode 1 Free
4. Re: Batman - The Telltale Series Episode 1 Free Oct 28, 2016, 22:16 jimnms

{PH}88fingers wrote on Oct 28, 2016, 21:57:
I'm not seeing how to add the EP 1 free
says full season for sale...

Click where it says: "Episode 1 Free - Click Here To Download"

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Batman - The Telltale Series Episode 1 Free
3. Re: Batman - The Telltale Series Episode 1 Free Oct 28, 2016, 22:14 jimnms

I'm not investing my time in another Telltale game until they finish The Wolf Among Us.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
9. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 26, 2016, 21:54 jimnms

KezClone wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 20:40:
F:NV has a recurring issue with corrupted textures preventing the game from loading transitions (into interiors or new zones). I wasn't alone in this.

I've never had that happen, but it's been almost a year since I last played. I started up a heavily modded game last year, but I had to put it on hold to heal from a wrist injury and I just haven't gotten back to it. I had planned to go back to it after I finished DX:MD, but I put it on hold to play some games for Halloween. I've got one or two more short games to play for the Halloween season, then it's back to "business."

MeanJim on Steam

8. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 26, 2016, 21:47 jimnms

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 20:45:
Step 1 for any recent GeForce drivers. AVOID installing the GeForce experience. Login based Bloatware, no thank you.

The past two or three drivers didn't have GeForce Experience bundled. I thought I remember reading they weer going to change the name and made it a separate download. I tried it once a long time ago for the recording ability. I never could get it to work and didn't want the other crap it added, so I uninstalled it and never used it again.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: New GeForce Drivers Oct 26, 2016, 20:07 jimnms

Darks wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 11:50:
And this is why I wait and dont install drives on the first week of release. This seems to be a habit with NVidia lately.

I usually wait too. I installed the 357.57 drivers a few days ago, and didn't have any problems until this morning. I noticed when I pinned a new icon to my start menu in Windows 10 that I couldn't move it. If I tried to move it, it disappeared, some existing icons re-arranged and the menu grayed out. I could still click visible icons, I just couldn't re-arrange them. Logging out or restarting restored the menu, but I still couldn't customize it. I searched and wasn't finding anything relevant, but finally after I came across a post that mentioned it was due to the GeForce 357.57 drivers. I checked the GeForce forums and found that it was a common problem, and I was about to re-install the old drivers when I saw that these were already out.

Bumpy wrote on Oct 26, 2016, 13:19:
Have they fixed Fallout3/NV crash issues yet, that's what I want to know.

What issues? I'm not aware of any FNV crashes, but there is a well known FO3 crash when running it on a CPU with more than 2 cores. It's an easy fix with a few lines in an .ini file, just search for "Fallout 3 quad core fix."

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Oct 22, 2016, 13:29 jimnms

I read about this last night, but I never had any trouble accessing anything.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
1. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 15, 2016, 17:42 jimnms

This prick sure is full of himself.
...with Windows 10 more popular among gamers than ever...
Stunned Yousaidwhat Ucrazy

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 15, 2016, 15:03 jimnms

nin wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 09:38:
Are they still around? I remember Blue used to talk about them a bit...

Yeah, I think they're only found in the Dallas area and maybe other areas of Texas.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Tyranny Next Month
9. Re: Tyranny Next Month Oct 14, 2016, 23:30 jimnms

I've watched all of the dev streams and it's looking great. I said this before, if they pitched this on Kickstarter, I'd have thrown money at it, but as it is now, I'll have to wait on it. Considering how many balance patches it took to finish Pillars, and there will probably be an expansion or two (or more, it's published by Paradox after all), it'll be good to wait for the finished product.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free Weekend
11. Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare Free Weekend Oct 14, 2016, 23:20 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Oct 14, 2016, 04:11:
How's the Deadliest Warrior DLC? Worth a buck? Reviews are mixed on Steam.

I enjoyed it. It's a different game. It's more fast paced and action oriented, and I liked some of its game modes better. There's 3 and 4 team, last team standing mods. There are games where the teams can only be one type or mixed.

The original is great, but some of the players can be dicks. They want everyone to play by some "code of honor" or some bull shit, and get bitchy if you help a team mate. Apparently this "code of honor" is that it's one vs. one, but there are game modes and tournament modes for that shit, in team based modes, my code is if you're not on my team, fuck you.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Farming Simulator 17 Garage Trailer
2. Re: Farming Simulator 17 Garage Trailer Oct 14, 2016, 23:12 jimnms

I read that as "Farming Simulator 17 Garbage Trailer."  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 13, 2016, 18:34 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Oct 13, 2016, 17:04:
"One Intensifying Smell."

Red Bull?

Bawls, they are a sponsor of QuakeCon.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition
34. Re: Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition Oct 11, 2016, 16:04 jimnms

jomisab wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 09:07:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 03:43:
jimnms wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 00:53:
I wasn't too crazy about Skyrim, even though Steam says I put almost 600 hours in it.

There's a contradiction if I ever saw one. Reminds me of the time someone gave some game a thumbs down on Steam after spending 500 hours in game.

I'm guessing anyone with that many hours is heavily into modding. At least that's the case for me. Testing and marveling at mods probably consumes most of that "in-game" time.

Finally, someone that can read more than two sentences. I don't know how much of that time was playing the actual game, but a lot of it was testing and trying out mods and even creating my own. That also makes me wonder if they've created a proper PC interface for the game or are modders going to have to fix it again. Hell, I've heard console gamers say that the interface is shit.

Steam shows I have 800 hours in New Vegas, and I've only played through it once. I started a new game last year and probably spent over 100 hours before I even started just trying out mods to find which ones I wanted to use in the new game. I couldn't find a mod to do something I wanted, so I had to create it myself and play test it. I never actually finished that game, shortly after starting I hurt my wrist and it was too painful to use the mouse for several months. I've been meaning to get back to it. It's always the next game on my list, but then something comes along and I tell myself I'll get to it after that.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition
16. Re: Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition Oct 11, 2016, 00:53 jimnms

What is different in the special edition? I wasn't too crazy about Skyrim, even though Steam says I put almost 600 hours in it. I never finished the main story, and most of those hours were probably playing with mods and shit. It wasn't very well written to even give me a reason to want to start the main quest, and it was possible to not even get the quest that starts the main quest line (it might have been a bug that has since been fixed).

From what I remember, after escaping the dragon attack at the start, the guy you escape with tells you to split up, so I went off on my own way. I essentially was just in a big sandbox exploring dungeons and ruins for loot with no real reason other than it was there. A friend of mine was playing it at the same time one night and messaged me on Steam about an awesome dragon battle he had, and I hadn't seen a single dragon yet after about 20ish hours. Apparently dragons don't show up until you do the first part of the main quest, which you don't even get unless you follow the guy that tells you to split up. If you follow him to his house, he tells you to go see some yarl, and that starts the main quest line where you go off to defend some place from a dragon. After that dragons appear in specific places and randomly spawn and you're given the next part of the main quest, to go talk to some old guys on top of a mountain. I was able to start the main quest line by speaking to the yarl.

I did a few parts of the main quest and lost interest. It was typical Bethesda quest writing, go here do this, come back for the next part. No options, no choices. Maybe it opens up later, but I found some of the side quests and uncovering the story behind some hidden things more interesting. I eventually lost interest in the game and stopped playing. I would come back to it every now and then, install some mods, play around then quit.

I did want to come back and finish it, just to get it over with, so a few times I did pick back up and play seriously. I'd eventually lose interest and go play something else.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. GeForce GTX 970 Class Action Settlement Oct 9, 2016, 15:47 jimnms

I got an email yesterday about the GeForce GTX 970 Class Action Settlement. I almost deleted it thinking it was spam. I'm surprised it didn't get auto flagged as spam since the title, sender and from email all look fishy, but it's the real deal.

I don't know if I'm going to file a claim. It's $30 in my pocket, but it doesn't feel right since I bought a 970 already knowing about the memory deal. I only skimmed the site to see if I could find out what happens to unclaimed funds from the settlement, but didn't see it. If unclaimed funds are just going to go to lawyers, I'll take my $30. If it goes back to Nvidia or a charity, I may just opt out.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2016, 15:26 jimnms

I think I've been around here for about 18-19 years, but I never registered until 2003 when I finally got broadband (512Kbps cable). A friend of mine told me about this site. Blues, Voodoo Extreme, and a third site that I can't think of and has since folded, used to be my daily sites. I had to quit going to Voodoo Extreme because it got so bloated it would take 10 minutes to load the front page on 28.8k dial-up. It's now the only gaming/tech news site I visit daily.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Mafia III Patched
1. Re: Mafia III Patched Oct 9, 2016, 15:10 jimnms

Pathetic. This is all shit that should have been there at release, not in the first patch. I wonder if their Steam review rating will recover.

I just realized I haven't read any reviews of the actual game to see if it's any good.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Online Bikers Launch
5. Re: Grand Theft Auto Online Bikers Launch Oct 5, 2016, 18:48 jimnms

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 5, 2016, 03:42:
Is there anyone left from Blues that's playing this on the PC?

GTA is my go-to place when I need to vent some steam. I played some single player the past few weeks and jumped online a few times for some races.

MeanJim on Steam

2686 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo