Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2726 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout New Vegas 2 Rumor
11. Re: Fallout New Vegas 2 Rumor Jan 31, 2017, 00:41 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 21:40:
I wouldn't doubt Obsidian is working on something FO but I'd imagine they'd negotiate a better contract this time around. I doubt it'd be Vegas again as there's no reason to return to it. Far better to keep moving around the country or the world for that matter. That would be interesting actually, take it to some other places around the globe. Yeah they deffo need a new engine, although I'd prefer a return to isometric for sure.

I love isometric RPGs, but New Vegas sold me on first person Fallout. I'd like to see a hybrid of old and new. Get rid of the single, large, compressed open world and instead have a larger over-world map like the originals where you click to travel with random encounters along the way. Then have several detailed open world areas that are more closer to scale, but can be as big (or bigger) than the whole of FO3/New Vegas's one area. This way, you can have the game take place over a larger area with more detailed locations to explore.

I'd like them to keep it on the west coast. I though a while back I read something where they said if they got the chance to do another Fallout that they'd like to go back to the LA area. Use my idea above and it could take place in LA and surrounding areas, maybe some of the old locations from the first two games, and even Vegas. Maybe you have to hitch a ride with a caravan to travel between areas or acquire a vehicle of your own.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
25. Re: Wuh?? Jan 30, 2017, 20:58 jimnms

nin wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 18:05:
Creston wrote on Jan 30, 2017, 17:42:
Fallout New Vegas 2??

Obsidian or GTFO.

This, and give them more than a few months this to make it this time.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
27. How to stop Windows 10 from rebooting after updates. Jan 30, 2017, 20:50 jimnms

Simply disabling the task doesn't work. Windows Update will re-enable the task if updates are pending, and it gets re-created again after new updates are downloaded. I posted some links to articles showing how to stop the reboots in another topic the other day.

To really stop it, after disabling the task, you need to take ownership of and remove write permissions on the task's file located in C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator. This article gives the details if you don't know how to do it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
22. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 27, 2017, 01:36 jimnms

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 05:56:
jimnms wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 03:07:
It took me 30 seconds on Google and find these:
How to permanently stop Windows 10 reboots after installing updates
Disable automatic reboots after installing updates in Windows 10
Conclusively stop wake timers from waking Windows 10 desktop

Good job, too bad its something entirely different, or, as I said, will be reset every patch.

No it doesn't. I used the above method and haven't had it come back since (Win10 Home). I'm guessing you didn't bother reading them or trying it before declaring it doesn't work. After disabling the task in task scheduler, you then modify the physical task's file permissions (NTFS ACLs) making it read only so that it can't be modified.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers
13. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Jan 26, 2017, 03:07 jimnms

Muscular Beaver wrote on Jan 26, 2017, 02:25:
ventry wrote on Jan 25, 2017, 17:44:
Well no.
I had this problem over a year ago.
However I used my brain for cognitive thinking and not for being a pissy win 10 crybaby.
Took all of 20 minutes to solve and has never been a problem since.
So, like Verno said: Fuk orf.
Too bad it comes back every patch.
So please let the world know how you permanently fixed it, Mr. Ultra Brain, or "fuk orf"!

It took me 30 seconds on Google and find these:
How to permanently stop Windows 10 reboots after installing updates
Disable automatic reboots after installing updates in Windows 10
Conclusively stop wake timers from waking Windows 10 desktop

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
5. Re: etc., etc. Jan 24, 2017, 23:42 jimnms

KTR wrote on Jan 24, 2017, 21:16:
Woot! Praise GOG for SWAT4.

When I saw that on GOG this morning, I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough, even though I still have my boxed copy and disk. Why doesn't anyone make good tactical games like SWAT3/4 and the old Rainbow Six games anymore?

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: etc., etc. Jan 21, 2017, 16:09 jimnms

Aero wrote on Jan 21, 2017, 00:28:
That's useful and strange that it hasn't been in there longer since it probably took one developer a day to implement at most. It's was always a pain in the ass doing this manually. Frequently is was more convenient to just delete a game and redownload it to where I wanted it moved.

What exactly was a pain about doing it manually? You just had to move the game's directory and its appmanifest.acf file and restart Steam if it was running. Sure this way is easier if you just want to move one game, but doing it manually wasn't difficult, unless you were doing it wrong, and is certainly faster than re-downloading several GB. It's still easier to do it manually if you want to move multiple games in one go.

MeanJim on Steam

1. Steam Quietly Adds the Ability to Move Game Install Folders. Jan 20, 2017, 22:04 jimnms

There wasn't anything quiet about it. The new feature was listed right there in the change log when the Steam update window popped up. It was added to the Beta client a couple of days ago.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
21. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 9, 2017, 04:43 jimnms

saluk wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 20:12:
They did piss me off last year when they stopped supporting the amazing tab groups feature that no one except me seemed to use.

That thing was amazing. There are add-ons but I haven't found any that work as well as that did.

I used that as well, and still do. The announcement that they were dropping it from a built in feature recommended Tab Groups for those that used the feature. It is based on the original Mozilla code. It used to be an addon before Mozilla integrated it, now they've spun it back off as an addon. I'm actually glad they did because now with it as an independent addon again it has been updated, new features added and it is so much better now. It seamlessly imported my tab groups from Firefox and it's like nothing ever changed for me (except the improvements). Firefox tended to corrupt the tab groups and I'd have to edit my session.js to manually repair it. This hasn't happened any more, but it has a backup feature so that you can restore a previous backup if it does.

As for tabs, memory usage and stability, Firefox's reliability has been rock solid recently. I have 4 tab groups (the main window and 3 saved that I use frequently). I hardly ever close Firefox. I currently have 62 tabs open among the 4 groups (34 on the main windows). Firefox has been running for 8 days and is using 1.8GB of memory.

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 5, 2017, 01:18 jimnms

RoboNerd wrote on Jan 4, 2017, 20:58:
I have a close relative who must eat black-eyed peas on New Years Day - that is somehow going to make the coming year better.

That's a thing around here too. You're supposed to eat cabbage and black eyed peas on New Years day for some reason. I remember the cabbage was supposed to bring you money or something, but I forget why the black eyed peas. If you go to the grocery store on New Years eve/day, the shelves will be empty of black eyed peas and cabbage.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Why you shouldn't use cotton swabs to clean your ears. Jan 4, 2017, 16:10 jimnms

Because it says not to on the box?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jan 2, 2017, 22:03 jimnms

When they showed the closeup around 3.5 minutes I was pretty sure I knew how it was done, and I was right.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > New Grand Theft Auto Online Mode
6. Re: New Grand Theft Auto Online Mode Jan 2, 2017, 14:10 jimnms

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 2, 2017, 12:40:
Creston wrote on Jan 2, 2017, 12:10:
Out of curiosity, does any of the online stuff like new cars etc show up in the SP game too?

Yes you can

Do you have to start a new game for that? I only see the vehicles I gained access to during the single player game in my garages.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jan 1, 2017, 23:20 jimnms

Why is the "Radioactive Boy Scout" on that list? He wasn't a tech pioneer, he was a careless idiot.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Christmas Tech Bits
13. Re: Christmas Tech Bits Dec 26, 2016, 14:11 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Dec 26, 2016, 02:50:
Just subsidize solar roofs and windpods and that's the problem mostly solved right there. How many houses could that little strip of road done that for? Several hundred? All making real energy and sending it back to the grid.

They do, at least here in the US. There is a federal solar tax credit, and every state has renewable energy subsidies available. I looked into it this past summer after having multiple power outages lasting 2-3 days. After being without power for a couple of days last week, I'm looking at it again.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Christmas Tech Bits
6. Re: Christmas Tech Bits Dec 25, 2016, 19:59 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 18:15:
Acleacius wrote on Dec 25, 2016, 13:16:
World’s first solar road....
That's pretty ingenious, if all buildings and roads had solar panels, there would be no need for nuclear or coal and probably water diversions for hydroelectric. Massive job increases for education, design, installation and service, could sustain a whole country easily.

It's wasteful unless you live somewhere near the equator where the sun is perpendicular to the road most of the year and has 300+ days of sun.

It's also stupid to spend gobs of money to reinforce solar panels so they can take tons of weight without breaking when there are still buildings to put normal solar panels on. Roads should be the last choice for solar panels.

It's also the dumbest place to put solar panels, under cars. Korea has a better idea with this.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Christmas Metaverse
1. Re: Christmas Metaverse Dec 25, 2016, 19:46 jimnms

I haven't been keeping up (or caring) with this YouTube stuff, but I keep seeing videos pop up with people complaining about it. Something has changed with the recommendation system though because for the past week or longer, the only videos that show up after playing a video are some idiot cutting things with a hot ceramic knife. Out of curiosity, I watched a minute or so of one, found it stupid and closed it. It used to recommend things similar to what I just watched, but that seems to be the only thing that gets recommended now, no matter what I just watched.  

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 21, 2016, 15:19 jimnms

BobBob wrote on Dec 21, 2016, 13:02:
Well, it was 72 yesterday, but now it's back down to the mid-60s. I hate when it's below 70. My arthritis is killing me.

It was 81°F here Saturday afternoon. Sunday's high was 25°F.

The nice cold front that dropped the temps brought with it 50 MPH wind and rain knocking power out all over the city. I didn't get power back until Monday afternoon.

I had gone to bed early Friday, sometime around 7-8pm. I woke just after midnight from the sound of the wind. I laid there trying to go back to sleep, but it kept getting louder. I finally decided to get up in case I needed to take shelter. I turned on my light and as soon as I sat up, the power went out. A few minutes later, it was like someone flipped a switch and the wind stopped and a few more minutes later it started raining.

I couldn't go back to sleep and was thinking I'd be up all night freezing my ass off with no power and nothing to do, but about half an hour later the power came back on. I went ahead and got up. Later that morning close to 7:30am I was just about to go make coffee and something to eat when the power went out again. The weird thing is, the rain had stopped about an hour ago and the sun was out. I figured they'd have it back on quick again, but I was wrong. It was a miserable day and a half.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
10. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Dec 18, 2016, 04:09 jimnms

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Dec 17, 2016, 15:32:
I played through DOOM with no issues with Denuvo, didn't even notice the copy protection affecting anything, to be honest.

As much as I hate the idea of copy protection, if a studio WANTS to use it to protect their sales, I can't really fault them that much. Denuvo seems pretty honest and realistic about their copy protection too.

Not much to see here.

I had a problem with it in DX:MD. Denuvo requires an internet connection to phone home and verify your game every few days and no where on the game's page does it state this.

When I started the game for the first time my firewall prompted me that DX:MD was trying to connect to the internet. It's a fucking single player game, so I blocked it. Then it gave me an error with a link to some page on Denuvo where I had to copy the text from the error onto the page, then it generates text to copy back to the error box to "unlock" the game. I figured it was a one time activation deal, but it does this every few days. I got tired of doing this, so I finally just allowed it access through the firewall.

This was back in the summer when a bad storm knocked out power damaged some of my ISP's equipment leaving me without internet for several days and frequent outages for weeks after that while they repaired their equipment. Every time I was without internet, DX:MD wouldn't work.

An just in case you missed what I said earlier, no where on the store page for DX:MD does it say that an internet connection is required for the single player portion of the game.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 16, 2016, 19:38 jimnms

I was surprised how much less power hungry my new PC is compared to my old one. My UPS has a load meter on it, and sitting right now it's using 60W. That's the PC and monitor plus my router and cable modem. My old PC was around 85-90W. The new PC is an i7 6700K @ 4.2GHz, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, 2TB HDD, with GTX 970. The old PC was an i5 750 @ 3.8GHz, 12GB RAM, 2TB HDD and the same GTX 970.  

MeanJim on Steam

2726 Comments. 137 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo