Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage https://steamcommunity.com/id/meanjim
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2825 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 18:53 MeanJim

Nice to see Divinity: Original Sin 2 on this list.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
6. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 3, 2017, 18:49 MeanJim

Beamer wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 10:07:
No, most people put their phone number, for "security."
Apps can only harvest what you give them permission to, anyway.

Does the app require access to the user's phone number? I know apps can only access what they have been given permission to, but like EULA's, most people don't pay attention to that when installing an app and will obliviously sell their privacy to get it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month
18. Re: Windows 10 Game Mode Update Next Month Sep 3, 2017, 18:44 MeanJim

Does this mean that Windows is going to re-enable all of the "features" I disabled to make it less annoying to use? Does mean everyone that knows me is going to be calling (again) after this update wondering why shit changed? It happened with the Anniversary Update, but I had installed that before it was forced out. I skipped on updating early, so I don't know what changes will be visible. There are some under the hood changes I know are coming and I'm looking forward to those, but it's the stuff you see (UI, etc.) that I'm dreading. It feels like I just got everything the way I want it.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
4. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 2, 2017, 19:19 MeanJim

Creston wrote on Sep 2, 2017, 10:48:
Why on earth would you ever put your PHONE NUMBER on a social media website???

I don't use Instagram, so I may be wrong, but don't you have to use an app on your phone for this? If so, they didn't put their phone number on the site, it was harvested by the app.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sonic Mania DRM Issues
15. Re: Sonic Mania DRM Issues Sep 1, 2017, 06:24 MeanJim

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 01:53:
MeanJim wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 15:27:

Yes, in a way it does not allow offline gameplay. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has Denuvo, and it's also not listed on its Steam store page.

It doen't use denuvo. It only uses the steam-drm, you can find that out yourself by using a skiffer. The pre-release copies given to game journos/reviewers used denuvo to stop leaks.

Then why do you get an error, which then sends you to this page when it can't "phone home," either because you're offline or blocking it with a firewall?

ViRGE wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 11:55:
As for online activation it's a one-time online access to to fetch the necessary functions.

It's not a one time activation, at least for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Like I said, I have it blocked in my firewall, and it prompted me once a week to activate it. I did try letting it connect once to see if it did "permanently" activate it, but it didn't.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 31, 2017, 22:08 MeanJim

headshot wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 06:20:
a really detailled, if not a bit creepy, recollection of his stream.

I was only watching for about 10-15 minutes, and it only just happened yesterday.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
43. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 20:03 MeanJim

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 09:11:
I ashamedly admit I didn't. In the new setup there was a link to "Account" and it didn't occur to me I'd get anything different from clicking on the account icon on the opposite side of the screen. Bad assumption on my part.

I didn't notice there was a 2nd page and you had already figured it out when I replied last night. I was wondering if there were different versions of the new YouTube since it randomly switches between old and new for me.

Orogogus wrote on Aug 31, 2017, 13:25:
V55 of Firefox just ganked two of my extensions -- Re-Pagination and DownThemAll -- and all but one are now marked Legacy, and will stop working in November unless their authors update them.

DownThemAll still works for me. It did mark all but 3 of my addons legacy, but so far they all still work.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 31, 2017, 04:49 MeanJim

xXStellarDadXx wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 21:23:
BTW...i thinks twitch died today....just saying

Are you sure it wasn't your ISP? I was watching you on Twitch today while eating lunch. I saw the previous match from about the mid-point to the end. It was down to you and your friend, you were behind a tree and a guy up at a water tower killed you then your friend came out to throw a grenade and got killed. The next match I watched from the beginning until you dropped out. You killed a guy in a truck which then ran you over after killing him, then the passenger got stuck getting out and your friend killed him and revived you. Shortly after that I lost your stream, but I was able to see other stuff on Twitch. I looked on Steam and didn't see you online, so I figured your connection crapped out.

That was the first time I've watched any PUBG. I thought I it was a first person game. I'm not a big fan of third person games, especially for multi-player. It seems cheaty being able to see around corners, but it's extremely uncomfortable for me indoors. I even felt uncomfortable watching it when you were looting buildings.

MeanJim on Steam

32. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 31, 2017, 04:21 MeanJim

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 17:43:
MeanJim wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 16:35:
Click the button with the three vertical dots next to the sign in button and select "Restore old YouTube" from the menu.
I suspect you were not being serious, in the off chance you were -- I see no such option.

Change sucks.

I was being serious. Do you not see this?

MeanJim on Steam

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 30, 2017, 16:35 MeanJim

Acleacius wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 13:46:
What's with the new youtube, it's just a white page with video. There's no posts at the bottom nor a list of relevant videos on the right. Are we required to log in to turn it off? I never do, hate being tracked.

Click the button with the three vertical dots next to the sign in button and select "Restore old YouTube" from the menu. I use the Self Destructing Cookie addon which nukes all cookies from a page a few seconds after you close its tab/window, so I'm essentially always in safe browsing mode except for a few white listed sites that are allowed to store cookies. YouTube/Google cookies get nuked, so it doesn't save the setting for me. YouTube mostly still loads the old page, but it seems to randomly give me the new page every now and then.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sonic Mania DRM Issues
9. Re: Sonic Mania DRM Issues Aug 30, 2017, 15:27 MeanJim

El Pit wrote on Aug 30, 2017, 11:30:
I don't know much about Denuvo - what is the problem with it? Does it forbid offline gameplay?

Yes, in a way it does not allow offline gameplay. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided has Denuvo, and it's also not listed on its Steam store page. I block everything in my firewall if it's doesn't need internet access, so when I started up DXMD for the first time and got a asked by my firewall if I wanted to allow it access, I blocked it. You can't play it until you "activated" it. There's a way to do it without letting the game connect, it gives you a link to open in a web browser which gives you a long string of numbers to copy and paste to the game. I thought it was a one-time activation so I left it blocked in the firewall, but it will prompt you every week to re-activate.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Creation Club Beta
9. Re: Fallout 4 Creation Club Beta Aug 29, 2017, 14:08 MeanJim

Renegades Hang wrote on Aug 29, 2017, 11:44:
Bethesda will work with the modder to implement their mod into the game, including doing quality assurance testing.

Bethesda, quality assurance testing? Giggle

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
3. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 25, 2017, 22:02 MeanJim

YouTube begins isolating offensive videos this week.

Offensive to who?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > XCOM 2 Free Weekend
11. Re: XCOM 2 Free Weekend Aug 25, 2017, 13:20 MeanJim

I still need to get through the first (modern) XCOM. I hope the 2nd one doesn't have the same bugs as the first. I've tried twice now and I keep running into a bug where the hit percentages start to differ between when you're taking a shot and what it shows on the overview. When it starts, it's just a minor difference, but it gets worse as it goes until one always shows 1% and the other always shows 100%. Here is a screen shot I took the last time I attempted to play it. I bought the DLC during a sale and started a new game, but once this started happening I just quit before it got worse.

Another time I got "rewarded" with a high ranking sniper for a mission. This sniper must have been blind. I gave him squad sight, but he never had a shot on any enemy, even if it was in his face.

I enjoyed playing it, but after two failed games I'm kind of burned out. I was actually thinking of giving it a 3rd go recently. I might just have to grit my teeth and push through it if it happens again. I was playing iron man both times, maybe I'll play easy mode and save scum next time.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed?
13. Re: Half-Life 2: Episode 3 Story Revealed? Aug 25, 2017, 12:17 MeanJim

ViRGE wrote on Aug 25, 2017, 11:23:
In practice, I don't expect the final game would go like this, because rarely does a game stick exactly to the script. But I could easily see this being a Half-Life game, and a fun one at that.

Knowing Valve, something would have happened near the original release and they'd scrap it and start over, eventually releasing something better 2 years later.

Since Valve has no interest in Half-Life anymore, I wish they'd give Laidlaw the go-ahead to write it and let the team behind Black Mesa make it. At least they run on time similar Valve time, so it could work.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Tyranny Expansion Next Month
16. Re: Tyranny Expansion Next Month Aug 24, 2017, 06:01 MeanJim

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 24, 2017, 05:05:
In the end I played it through and enjoyed it. Once. Re-playability is nearly zero and there is no new-game+ either ;/

There is a lot of re-playability. Unlike a lot of RPGs these days, there is no way to see and do everything in one game. There are four possible endings, with dozens of possible "middle" parts depending on the choices you made during the conquest and during the game.

A New Game+ mode was added a few patches ago.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
7. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 22, 2017, 20:00 MeanJim

I've been using Sumatra for years now after Foxit became almost as bloated as Adobe's PDF reader.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Aug 22, 2017, 19:44 MeanJim

Why is YouTube telling advertisers what they can and can not advertise on? Shouldn't it be up to the advertisers to decide what kind of videos they want their ads to appear on? What if an advertiser wants their ads on a gaming video with guns because their target audience is more likely to watch that type of video.  

MeanJim on Steam

6. Eclipse Aug 19, 2017, 17:30 MeanJim

Anyone going to view the total eclipse? Where I live we'll only be getting 83%, but I was toying with the idea of driving to one of a couple of locations where it will be 100%. Both are the same distance and time to drive, but I'd have to leave at 4am and hope traffic isn't bad, leave even earlier to plan for traffic or just drive there Sunday and stay in a hotel.

I kind of want to see it since the path of totality isn't too far from me, but I also don't really want to spend 14+ hours on the road to see 2 minutes of a total eclipse, even if it is a once in a life time event.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 16, 2017, 06:48 MeanJim

I bought it several years ago after using the shareware version for a while. I don't regret it even though I use 7-zip now, and I've never met anything it can't open. If anyone is turned off by 7-zip's UI, I recommend PeaZip. I believe it supports more file formats for both compression and decompression than 7-zip or WinRAR.  

MeanJim on Steam

2825 Comments. 142 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo