Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage https://steamcommunity.com/id/meanjim
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2865 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Feb 24, 2018, 17:21 MeanJim

When I was in high school, we used to play Doom in computer class, during hunting season it was no big deal to see student's trucks in the parking lot with guns in their gun racks, and you could even take hunter's education and gun safety classes at my school, where we actually shot guns for grades.

The gun might be the preferred tool for mass murdering psychopaths, but you have to wonder why there are so many more mass murdering psychopaths today than back then.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 13, 2018, 14:40 MeanJim

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 13, 2018, 09:22:
Ah, Obsidian. I remember when you made PC games first, and weren't chasing console money. Oh well.

Your reasons for shrinking the party are plain to see.

Obsidian is making the PC game. The console ports are done by a 3rd party developer.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
2. Re: Evening Consolidation Feb 8, 2018, 14:04 MeanJim

RTFA much? They didn't shift the focus to other platforms. Just like the first POE, the console port is being handled by a 3rd party, only this time it's being released a few months after the PC release instead of almost 2 years.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
6. 5 ways to keep PC gaming in the coin mining era. Feb 8, 2018, 07:16 MeanJim

Their 3rd option: "Buy an Xbox One or PlayStation 4"

Headscratch

How the fuck is that going to keep you PC gaming? I hope my GTX 970 doesn't bite the dust before prices return to sane.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Kerbal Space Program Making History Next Month
12. Re: Kerbal Space Program Making History Next Month Feb 7, 2018, 20:16 MeanJim

jdreyer wrote on Feb 7, 2018, 12:46:
@MeanJim: I'm thinking of another play through. I played vanilla last time. What are your favorite mods?

The mods I deem essential for use are:
-Kerbal Engineer
-Kerbal Alarm Clock
-Alternate Resource Panel
-Distant Object Enhancement
-Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (still essential even though they added the auto strut feature since you have to manually enable auto strut for every part)
-RCS Build Aid
-Editor Extensions
- [x] Science!
-Transfer Window Planner

To make the game look better I installed:
-Stock Visual Enhancements
-Stock Visual Terrain
-Texture Replacer (to add a nicer skybox)

That is what I installed and tested over the weekend. I had to disable Scatterer (it's recommended for SVE) because the frame rate hit was too much. (It drops me from 100+ FPS to < 40FPS.

As for part mods, these are the ones that are updated and still active that I previously played with in my 1.0 game, so I'm probably going to use them for a new game.
-DMagic's Orbital Science
-Kerbal Attachment System
-Kerbal Inventory System
-Modular Kolonization System
-Procedural Fairings (still way better than stock fairings)
-SCANSat

One mod that I previously used and really want to use is Kerbal Construction Time, but the last stable release was for KSP 1.1. There is a 1.3 development build on the KSP forums, but it looks like things seem to be going slow and they don't recommend using it for normal games.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Kerbal Space Program Making History Next Month
4. Re: Kerbal Space Program Making History Next Month Feb 7, 2018, 12:40 MeanJim

This must be for people that can't figure out how to install mods since mods have been adding custom missions and contracts already.

I'm kind of glad there had been a lul in updates, but I missed out on my chance to play it during that time. As far as I know, there aren't any critical bugs in the game anymore, and every time there is an update, you have to wait for mods to be updated for each new version.

Although it's a sandbox game and technically doesn't end, I haven't "finished" the game yet. I've had the game since the alpha, before career mode, but once career mode was added, I wanted to play a game where I visited every planet and moon and collect 100% of the science available, but I never finished that during the alpha and beta, then decided to restart when 1.0 came out using the same mods I used in the alpha/beta. After waiting for mods to update, I started my 1.0 game, but 1.0.x had a memory leak that caused the game to use up all available 32bit memory and crash after a while. It got so bad as the game went on, it was crashing every 30 minutes, and I gave up on it.

With 1.2, we finally got 64bit support and they fixed the memory leaks, but I was waiting on mods before I started a new game. The updates were coming out faster than the mods were getting updated, and eventually it slid to the back of the line by the time 1.3.1 came out and it settled down.

I literally was just looking at getting into this again over the weekend. I thought about playing stockish. I was going to use just the essential, quality of life improving type mods (engineer, alarm clock, etc.) and some visual enhancements, but not add any part mods. Then as I was looking over the list of mods I used before and new mods released since then, that idea went out the window as my list of "gotta haves" started growing. There are still a couple of mods I really liked from 1.0 that have not been updated, and no alternatives exist.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10 9
6. Re: Steam Top <strike>10</strike> 9 Feb 4, 2018, 14:30 MeanJim

DOES HAVING THE NAME OF YOUR GAME ALL CAPS HELP IT GET ON THE TOP 10?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Free Weekend
17. Re: Fallout 4 Free Weekend Jan 30, 2018, 16:55 MeanJim

I already pretty much know I won't like FO4. Bethesda's style of "RPG" just doesn't interest me. I loved the original Fallout games and New Vegas. FO3 was meh. I did one play through at release, then bought the GOTY edition and couldn't get through it again. I've played New Vegas twice already, once NCR and once Yes Man, and currently taking a break from a 3rd play though with it heavily modded (about 300+ hours in one game far).

Despite putting hundreds of hours into Skyrim, it too was a snooze fest. One day while playing, it struck me; WTF am I doing? The main quest/story was so forgettable, I actually forgot about it while playing. The written side quests were so linear you could hardly tell them apart from the scripted radiant quests. After I explored so many copy-paste dungeons, did so many generic side/radiant quests, I realized I wasn't having fun, quit and never went back.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 29, 2018, 22:16 MeanJim

Bill Borre wrote on Jan 29, 2018, 19:45:
So the practical use of a flamethrower is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJOEvTLd-Ak

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > MS Acquisition Rumor Targets include EA, Valve, & PUBG
21. Re: MS Acquisition Rumor Targets include EA, Valve, & PUBG Jan 29, 2018, 22:08 MeanJim

This is proof that MS doesn't give a shit about gaming. They just want XBONE exclusive titles to sell more XBONES. If they gave a shit about gaming, they would make games for all gamers on all platforms.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Rocket League Cross-Platform Party Plans [Updated]
2. Re: Rocket League Cross-Platform Plans Jan 22, 2018, 22:58 MeanJim

Rocket League already has cross platform support for public games. The tweet is referring to "cross-platform party support" - the ability to join friends playing on a different platform.  

MeanJim on Steam

5. Microsoft opens the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update floodgates. Jan 13, 2018, 04:05 MeanJim

I thought I had done something yesterday to let the update to come through, but it looks like it was just a coincidence. I have my active hours set from 1pm to 1am and have the reboot task permanently disabled. Tonight was Arma night with friends, and one of them was online this morning and wanted to test a mission we tried to play last time and had problems with required mods before we played tonight. We were right in the middle of things, when my game started stuttering, then I got dropped to the desktop when Windows wanted me to reboot.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
29. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 20:46 MeanJim

I prefer vi on *nix, but I use NP++ on Windows. I used to use vim on Windows until I discovered Notepad++.  

MeanJim on Steam

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 2, 2018, 20:38 MeanJim

I suppose a recall is out of the question due to the number of processors affected, many of which aren't even in production anymore.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Apple Acquiring Netflix Speculation Heats Up. Jan 2, 2018, 20:26 MeanJim

I really hope this isn't going to happen. I would have to cancel my subscription, I don't want anything to do with Apple.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > ESA Takes on WHO Over "Gaming Disorder"
4. Re: ESA Takes on WHO Over Jan 2, 2018, 20:21 MeanJim

Comet wrote on Jan 2, 2018, 19:45:
I completely agree with the WHO assessment.
Games are addictive and we all know that.

If they weren't people wouldn't invest so much time playing them almost on a daily basis.
With that said, as pointed out by NKD, TV disorder should be included as well.

Video games are a fucking hobby. At least with video games, there is some activity and interaction going on, unlike TV, movies and books where you just sit and consume the entertainment through your face holes. If I don't play video games in my free time, I would do something else to fill that time. They might as well call it "free time entertainment disorder."

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 27, 2017, 03:54 MeanJim

Shock wrote on Dec 26, 2017, 20:43:
Aren't business required to accept cash as legal tender?

As I understand it, if you have a debt with a business, they legally have to accept cash as payment. However, in a situation like a cashless restaurant, you don't owe a debt yet, so they can refuse cash for goods and services.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
2. Re: ze Bitcoin Dec 20, 2017, 19:46 MeanJim

Not the founders of bitcoin (which aren't they still anonymous?). You might want to take a closer look at those articles. The first one is in the title, "Founder of Bitcoin Rival Litecoin Sells His Cryptocurrency After 7,500% Rally.

The second one is the founder of bitcoin.com, which is just a site dealing with bitcoin.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Why teens find the end of the world so appealing Dec 19, 2017, 13:56 MeanJim

Because they're preparing for the future we're leaving them.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
2. Re: When a Google Street View car meets a Bing car, only one can survive. Dec 19, 2017, 13:18 MeanJim

If I were Google, I would have a Google street view car tail a Bing car all day so all of its street view maps would have a large white rectangle on it.  

MeanJim on Steam

2865 Comments. 144 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo