Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2644 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 15, 2015, 22:41 jimnms

raVen wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 19:57:
You can disable the task scheduler tasks for the win10 upgrade. I finally did that at home. (still using win7 at home and work.)

On my main system I check the updates and don't install the Win10 nagware (KB3035583). I hide the update every month, but it unhides itself every month for patch Tuesday.

My other Win7 machine I just let it do its thing, and the upgrade icon showed up on it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I removed and hid the update, but a few days later it re-installed itself because I have everything automated on that system. I finally tried disabling the tasks, but there are several tasks that it doesn't let you disable. I disabled the ones I could and so far that has kept the icon from showing up again, but it keeps re-downloading the update.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Fallout 4 Live-Action Trailer
9. Re: Fallout 4 Live-Action Trailer Oct 15, 2015, 22:21 jimnms

subx wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 20:32:
No power dog armour?

That willl be the first DLC.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Director's Cut Released
27. Re: Wasteland 2 Director's Cut Released Oct 13, 2015, 19:47 jimnms

I thoroughly enjoyed WL2. I didn't play it at release though, so most bugs had been fixed by the time I played it. I think there were only two patches after I started, and I only ran into one bug that made it hard to complete a quest because a scripted event was bugging out. I reported it on their forum and they patched it a few weeks later. I managed to get through it before the patch though just by luck.

The party I ended up playing with all had different weapon skills. I had one pistol/energy weapons, one SMG, one AR and one sniper. I planned to add a melee skill to a the others as a backup later, but I never felt I needed it. Rather than switch to a melee weapon and trade blows, it was always better to just move and shoot them. I did end up giving bladed weapons skill to my AR character though.

The weapons did need some balancing, and I hope they've accomplished that. It became clear that early on that assault rifles were the best weapon. My sniper and AR characters were doing most of the damage and killing. My SMG character hardly ever got in range to do any damage, so rather than give that character a backup melee skill I switched to AR for primary and SMG as a backup/close range weapon. Melee characters didn't become useful until they had leveled up and were equipped with decent armor because they are going to eat some shots getting into range to do damage. I started another game before with a melee character, which also happened to be my only surgeon. I hit a random encounter right out of the citadel and he got killed right away. I re-started and changed my character's skills and restarted.

Melee skills became quite lethal at higher levels though. I kept Pizepi (sp?) and Scotchmo in my party for most of the game. Since Pizepi comes with a high level in energy weapons, I gave her brawling. Once that skill reached around level 6 or so, she was doing more damage punching things than her energy weapons. Blunt weapons also seemed pretty useful, but bladed weapons were pretty weak even at the end game.

I hope they've balanced the difficulty too. I played on normal starting out. In the early game it was challenging but not hard. The most challenging parts were some random encounters I hit around the prison area. I had a couple that wiped out my team, and a few that left me barely alive. Eventually I was rolling over every encounter without taking much damage, so I switched to Ranger difficulty. I don't like that the difficulty just reduces the damage your team does and increases the damage enemies do. That seems like a cheap way of doing it. I rarely ever saw enemies using equal or better equipment than what I had, so I'd rather see them give the enemy better equipment on harder difficulty levels.

The game was rather long if you're an OCD completionist like me that had to explore every inch and do every side quest. I don't know exactly how long it took me to complete. Steam says I've played 361 hours, but not all of that was one game. Some of that was playing around in early access, but I don't remember exactly how much.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Saturday Legal Briefs Oct 11, 2015, 00:24 jimnms

They just want a back door so they can see what you're encrypting.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Specs
20. Re: Fallout 4 Specs Oct 9, 2015, 22:28 jimnms

Peter M. Smith wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 13:12:
Go have a conversation in Fallout 2 after you get the Empathy perk. You'll suddenly see how only two of the many options have any real meaning. The rest are wasteful banter. If I go from that down to three or four choices that always have a meaning then I won't mind the reduction. That said...

Some of the best conversations are just meaningless banter. It might not directly influence the game, although you might get a little hint or some information that can be used later, but it just makes the game feel alive and give character to people. That's why a lot of NPCs in FO3 felt like robots compared to FNV. I started playing FNV again a few months ago (on a break right now though), doing things different than I've ever played before. I'm playing a female character, high charisma, low strength. The conversation with Cass played out completely different as a female character, with the Cherchez La Femme perk there was some extra bit of humorous dialog in there. Sure it doesn't change the outcome of the game, but it changes the experience of playing the game again and not having the same exact conversation.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sir, You Are Being Hunted Adds Multiplayer
2. Re: Sir, You Are Being Hunted Adds Multiplayer Oct 9, 2015, 10:25 jimnms

I remember they announced it a long time ago, but I thought they had abandoned it.  

MeanJim on Steam

17. Re: Fallout 4 Specs Oct 9, 2015, 09:29 jimnms

Jerykk wrote on Oct 9, 2015, 01:46:
Not sure that there's any point in waiting for reviews. This is the next big game from BGS. It's going to get 9's and 10's and plenty of GOTY awards based primarily on hype. However, if you've played their previous games, you should already know what you're getting. You'll get a big, detailed world that's fun to explore. What you won't get is good writing or a good implementation of traditional RPG features.

There are a few places that don't have their nose buried in Bethesda's ass to trust to give an honest review.

MeanJim on Steam

11. Re: Fallout 4 Specs Oct 8, 2015, 22:37 jimnms

I doubt I'm going to pick this up based on what they've shown so far. I'll wait for reviews, then probably wait for the complete edition to go on sale. By then Bethesda will be done with their patches and modders will have fixed most of the rest. I've got plenty of games to hold me over until then.

Unless what they showed in the E3 footage was placeholder, what's putting me off is the lack of dialog options. I'm not too sure I like the voiced protagonist either, which kind of goes with the lack of dialog options. In the E3 demo, the "dialog wheel" only ever has 4 options, and they only show key words so you don't know what your toon is actually going to say.

Another thing is Bethesda's continuation of dumbing their games down. Just look at Morrowind compared to Oblivion compared to Skyrim. At the rate they're going, the next Elder Scrolls game will be a Telltale style game. It wouldn't surprise me if they removed item degradation in FO4 and went back to weightless ammo like FO3. Just look at the ratings, the dumber the game is, the higher it's rated.

DangerDog wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 19:27:
What about FOV options?

I wouldn't get my hopes up on them having proper PC settings, but if it's like Skyrim, you can set it with a console command and it will stick with the save file. If it's like FO3 and FNV, then you have to edit the settings.ini files.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
37. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 8, 2015, 19:12 jimnms

Retired wrote on Oct 8, 2015, 12:49:
Anyone else just get an email for Amazon "Prime Now"? 2 hour delivery on items with a 20$ off coupon. Going to try it out.....(Appears Minneapolis just joined the fun, but other cities have been available for a while)

Interesting. Items appear to be same price as online, they didn't charge me tax (weird), but there is a "tip" amount included in your order. In this case it was $6.00, which I left, as the amount of the goods and the coupon made it worth trying. It also states the tip can be changed up to 48 hours after the order is delivered. There is a delivery time option which in the future time is FREE (in this case 4 hours from now), but if you want it right now it will cost you.

Interesting.....this could be a game changer. (It also appears to show a map of where the items are - which it seems there is an Amazon warehouse not far from my house!?)

I didn't get anything like that, but I might be getting same day delivery here soon. I discovered a few weeks ago that Amazon now has a warehouse about an hour from where I live. I placed an order on a Thursday and Prime shipping guaranteed a Monday delivery. I was worried Saturday when my stuff hadn't shipped yet. I got an email Monday morning saying it shipped with an estimated delivery the same day, and it was here less than 12 hours later.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Prison Architect Released
4. Re: Prison Architect Released Oct 6, 2015, 20:13 jimnms

Did they release this early? I thought this wasn't planned for release until the 20th, or am I thinking of something else.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Oct 5, 2015, 04:24 jimnms

saluk wrote on Oct 4, 2015, 17:10:
Ooo boy, can't wait to see the conspiracy nuts open up this pandora's box.

It takes a long time to photo shop 8400 photos.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Humble Monthly Launches
5. Re: Humble Monthly Launches Oct 2, 2015, 20:29 jimnms

I'm tempted to go in for one month. I'm thinking they're going to put out some good stuff the first month so people will see what they missed out on then sign up for the 2nd month's bundle which will be crap. I don't have LoG II yet, I know it has been cheaper, but it seems worth the gamble to get LoG II and maybe some other good games.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
10. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 30, 2015, 23:20 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Sep 30, 2015, 02:07:
jimnms wrote on Sep 29, 2015, 23:42:
Wouldn't you be required to have a commercial drivers license and register your vehicle for commercial use to do something like this?

Do Uber and Lyft drivers have to?

I think they do.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Sep 29, 2015, 23:42 jimnms

Wouldn't you be required to have a commercial drivers license and register your vehicle for commercial use to do something like this?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Endurance Video
17. Re: Fallout 4 Endurance Video Sep 29, 2015, 00:24 jimnms

ItBurn wrote on Sep 28, 2015, 09:16:
I wasn't talking about the quests leading to different outcomes, I was talking about the quests being solvable in different ways and being more "open". In NV you have very specific ways of doing a quest. There were some branching paths, but still, each branch had a very specific way of doing it. In F3, you could complete the quest in a variety of ways, completely organically. The quests felt more real/fun because you actually chose how to do it and the game reacted appropriately. In NV, if you chose to complete the quest in a way that wasn't planned by the designer, the game will penalize you or prevent you of doing it outright, with the sh*tty faction system for example.

Pretty much every quest in FNV can be solved in different ways, along with different outcomes. I can only think of few quests in FO3 that had multiple ways of completing them, and it always came down to a good or evil way because Bethesda took what was a minor part of the original Fallout games, the karma system, and turn it into a core part of the game.

Yes, the story and world of NV made more sense, but if you're looking for "sense" in the world of Fallout, you're a bit crazy. For example, the combination of technologies they have and the difference of progress between ai, digital computing and nuclear power are impossible. Also, if they had AI so advanced, the world would be totally different. Also, they ignore all the complex transformations that would happen to a society that used those technologies. They just take the current world and switch what kind of tech they use to offer different machines and they're done.

I take it Fallout 3 was your first Fallout game. The Setting and world of Fallout is an alternate time line branching from ours, and technology advanced different than it did for us. The original Fallout games for the most part are pretty serious with a bit of humor here and there. Bethesda decided to go overboard with that quirky humor shit in Fallout 3.

I'm playing video games and I want to have fun. Maybe you think that if the story makes a bit more sense, it's more immersive? Well for me it isn't. I need an immersive world and fantasy. F3 has this post apocalyptic wasteland where you felt like you were the first one discovering ruins. NV was had a thriving society where you felt like you were late to the party.

That's another problem I had with Fallout 3. It takes place 200 years after the Great War yet you still find places untouched with shelves stocked with pre-war food only a short distance from a settlement. That shit should have been picked clean decades ago.

I can't have fun and be immersed in a game that sells itself as a harsh post apocalyptic wasteland where people are struggling to survive, then send me out on a quest to build a water purifier to save them, only once you get out there you find that people seem to have plenty of water and food and not struggling at all.

The setting of Fallout 3 would have been more believable had it taken place before the first game because it looks like a place has just been ravaged by nuclear war a decade or two ago, not 200 years. The original Fallout takes place 84 years after the Great War and people have already begun to rebuild and recover. There are thriving towns and settlements growing food with trade routes between them. But in Fallout 3 there are only three major settlements. You have a dozen or so people living in shacks in a crater around an undetonated bomb, a "city" built out of an old aircraft carrier and a handful of people in a fortified apartment building. All of those, except Megaton, are believable places people would go to to survive after the world ended, but after 200 years there's still just the same small population living in these places?

MeanJim on Steam

14. Re: Fallout 4 Endurance Video Sep 26, 2015, 07:46 jimnms

ItBurn wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 09:37:
I'm serious. F3 had a better world, it looked more like a wasteland and was more fun to explore. Its quests were also more dynamic, there were more instances where you could complete them how you wanted. Also, the reputation system in NV was broken and had a negative impact on the game. I once got a loss of reputation for a faction after killing someone, when we were completely alone at the bottom of a dungeon... NV had some better things, like the hardcore mode, but overall it was less fun. I didn't think the story in NV was much better.

Fallout 3 had an interesting world, but that was about it. I did enjoy crawling the dungeons metro tunnels to get around the DC wasteland. However bland it was, the Mojave wasteland felt more real and alive.

Very few quests in FO3 had multiple ways of completion. The main quest was entirely linear. You can't choose to side with the Enclave if you want to, pretty much at no point are you ever given the option to make a decision for yourself.

Let me see if I can remember the Fallout 3 main quest. Dad and Mum were part of a group of scientists working on a giant water purifier when your mom dies giving birth to you. Dad abandons the water purification project to go live in a vault and raise you. After you turn 19, he abandons you to go back and re-start the water purification project.

The first settlement you come across if you follow the main quest is Megaton. This place was built after the war around an undetonated nuke, yet they somehow have a water purifier that supplies enough water for them so why didn't dad just examine that and make more of them to distribute to people? During the game you're constantly tripping over bottles of purified water, so where is all of this purified water coming from and why is he having such a problem making his purifier work?

Anyway, shortly after rescuing dad, you go back to the purifier and the Enclave show up to fix the water purifier that your dad abandoned. So what does dad do? He kills himself as he tries to destroy the purifier so the Enclave can't, um... fix it? Well at this point we don't know what their plans are, so let's go on.

You escape and go to the BOS citadel. After explaining that the purifier needs a GECK to work, they send you, a 19 year old kid, off to retrieve it from a vault that took a direct hit from a nuke. To get into this vault containing the GECK, you have to go through Little Lamplight, a settlement made up entirely of children, children that kick out other children on their 16th birthday? Wtf If you explore and discover the holo-tapes on the history of Lamplight, you find out a school field trip was here the day the bombs fell. The adults left to go get help and never returned, (probably because they died of radiation since a nuke hit only a short distance from there) so the kids decided they didn't trust adults and somehow came up with this rule to kick out everyone 16 and older, so, um, where do the children come from? Thinking The kids that get kicked out formed another settlement called Big Town, so at first I thought maybe once the kids at Big Town got older and had babies, they dropped them off at Lamplight. But this place has been here since the Great War, and the radiation outside was lethal, so that can't be it. Thinking about Lamplight makes my head hurt, so moving on.

After retrieving the GECK, on the way out you're ambushed by the Enclave and Col. Autumn, who somehow survived radiation that killed everyone else in the purifier your dad tried to destroy. They also somehow got in without going through Lamplight or dying to the lethal radiation surrounding the only other entrance. They take the GECK and fix the purifier while you're taken to their base and interrogated for the code that starts the purifier. Whatever choice you make makes no difference. You're let go at the order of the President because he needs you to go start the purifier and inject the FEV because he doesn't trust his own people to do it.

After you escape the Enclave base, you go back to the BOS Citadel because you have no other option in the main quest. You then fight a big ass battle to re-take the purifier before the Enclave turn it on so that you can... turn it on. Headscratch

After the Enclave went to all the trouble to fix the purifier, Col. Autumn now decides to sabotage it by flooding the control room with radiation so that you can't turn it on. Now the only way to start the purifier is for someone to sacrifice themselves by going into a radiation filled control room and enter the code. If you happen to have one of the three companions immune to radiation, they refuse to do it (because they need a reason the end the game so they can sell you the DLC later that extends the game after the ending).

So basically the entire plot of FO3 is a bunch of selfish pricks killing each other to be the one to turn on a water purifier that the wasteland doesn't seem to need. The only people you see in the wasteland that seem to be struggling for water are the karma dispensers water beggars camping outside of settlements that have an abundance of clean water.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Progression Details
14. Re: Fallout 4 Progression Details Sep 26, 2015, 05:35 jimnms

Task wrote on Sep 25, 2015, 09:54:
From the little I understand about this - apparently in the various special trees, there are different perks for gun types. I don't know where it would be, so for instance, there is separate perk trees for "bolt action rifle" or "pistol" in Agility or Strength or whereever they have most of the guns. In a lot of ways its very much like Skyrim's Star Tree, where you wanted more damage or some perk thing for Archery, you had to spend points in that. Its a lot of visual pazaz, but from my general observations it seems kind of unbalanced with 0 level cap - where you can simply have ALL of skills/perks in every tree with enough grinding.

"Levelling is experience point (XP) based like Fallout 3, not skill-based like Skyrim. But levelling speed is closer to Skyrim, and not as slow as Fallout 3." (source) - In other words leveling is presumably much easier. They then go on to claim, "Fallout 4 has no level cap, and we’ve balanced the game to keep the content and challenge going for higher levels."

Anyways, I don't really have much nice things to say about FO4. Except, I will admit one thing, the Gunplay actually looks way better than FO3 or NV. It no longer looks stiff and utterly atrocious, but I found out they actually got help in-house from ID Software giving them tips on how to actual "FPS" with Gunz. Which is why it looks like a Fallout version of RAGE. For a shooty-shooty Fallout game, I may look into it 2-3 years from now when its 5 bucks.

If this were reddit or youtube, I'm sure I would be downvoted into Oblivion for not liking FO4 that much. *Shrug* I got burned out though from pre-ordering FO3 back in 2008 and then Skyrim, so my excitement for Beth games has diminished considerably.

I really hated Skyrim's level and perk system. At least they're keeping it XP based for FO4. I'm not liking the idea of no level cap, but there's probably going to be a point where the time between level ups will get so far apart you might as well plan on getting the perks you want by then. Once you've completed every quest, the only way to gain XP will be killing things. Although, with the settlement building mechanic, I'm willing to bet that there will be some kind of way to farm easy, infinite XP.

Even though Fallout 3 and NV are in first person, they're still RPGs. You have to keep in mind that when you aim at something and pull the trigger, the game isn't relying on your skill as the player to make the shot, it's your character's skills that determine if you hit or not. People going into those games expecting a COD style FPS experience were disappointed. Now combat looks more FPS like, I just hope they don't remove the RPG part of it.

The big question that remains is, how is the writing going to be? Is it going to be linear and stupid like FO3, or did they learn something from Obsidian? We already know there are going to be multiple factions, but there were two factions in FO3, you just didn't get the choice in which one you wanted to side with. Are the BOS going to be like the real BOS or FO3's knight's in shining power armor BOS?

The last I heard, the lead writer for FO3 is also in charge of FO4, so my money is on the story being shit.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Progression Details
7. Re: Fallout 4 Progression Details Sep 25, 2015, 04:34 jimnms

Creston wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 22:57:
I don't mind that they killed skills, tbh. Skills were so necessary in FO3 that making a character without at least Int 9 was deliberately gimping yourself, and then a ton of perks were just "+5% to this and that skill" which was pointless, since it was far better to just put a perk into buying an extra SPECIAL point. It made perks feel underwhelming in most cases, imo.

This seems like a much better system.

Fallout 3 was ridiculously unbalanced. Because most of the perks just added to your skills, plus the bobble head's +10 and the abundance of skill books, you didn't need high INT to be able to max every skill. They had to patch the game because it was possible to max out your skills before hitting the level cap, which caused the game to become stuck on the level up screen because you can't close it until you spend all of the skill points. The Broken Steel DLC raising the level cap made it even easier to max every skill.

Fallout NV was much better balanced. It wasn't possible to max every skill, at least until the DLC raised the level cap.

I'm not sold on this perk system until I see more. How is this going to effect combat skills? Is every character going to start out proficient in every type of weapon? The few perks I saw regarding weapons was the gun nut, which the description says gives you the ability to use higher tier weapon mods and one that increased criticals.

MeanJim on Steam

12. Re: Fallout 4 Endurance Video Sep 24, 2015, 21:27 jimnms

ItBurn wrote on Sep 24, 2015, 09:49:
F3 was better than FNV.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, trolling or serious. Fallout 3's story was ridiculously stupid. After my first play I was scratching my head, but the stupidity of it didn't really set in until my second play through.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Dogmeat Trailers
16. Re: Fallout 4 Dogmeat Trailers Sep 22, 2015, 06:53 jimnms

Looks like Bethesda is sticking to their trusty "fuck it, that's good enough, let the modders fix it." concept of game design, but they're new motto is: "We take the role playing out of RPG."  

MeanJim on Steam

2644 Comments. 133 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo