Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2621 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Fallout 4 Build Planner
6. Re: Fallout 4 Build Planner Nov 5, 2015, 19:44 jimnms

Skyrim with guns. Tears  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Screenshots
35. Re: Morning Screenshots Nov 4, 2015, 02:52 jimnms

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 23:51:
jimnms wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 18:50:
Looking at the screen shots and the leaked videos, like Fallout 3, this doesn't look like something you'd see 200 years after a nuclear apocalypse. It looks more like 20 years.

How many nuclear apocalypses have you lived through?
Just the one (Chernobyl).

NamecaF wrote on Nov 4, 2015, 01:02:
Creston wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 21:35:
Wouldn't that make sense? The game starts with you playing your character before the war, so it couldn't really then shift 200 years and you're still the same guy/girl.

Maybe the Vault has cryo-chambers?

That's basically what they hinted at in the E3 presentation. FO4 takes place after the events of FO3.

MeanJim on Steam

30. Re: Morning Screenshots Nov 3, 2015, 18:50 jimnms

Looking at the screen shots and the leaked videos, like Fallout 3, this doesn't look like something you'd see 200 years after a nuclear apocalypse. It looks more like 20 years.  

MeanJim on Steam

18. Re: Morning Screenshots Nov 3, 2015, 14:45 jimnms

Dacron wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 10:33:
Plus, most dialogue in fallout 3/NV turned out to be 4 or fewer choices but in a text box instead of a prompt.

Fallout 3 maybe, but NV, nope. A lot of those options opened up farther branches of dialog with more options. So far from the leaked videos coming out, the dialog looks more like something from a Tale Tell game. You get 4 options, pick one and the conversation goes to the next step. They don't seem to open up other branches of dialog.

Peter M. Smith wrote on Nov 3, 2015, 11:01:
I can't get worked up over a max of four dialogue choices. One of the most useful (and telling) Perks from FO2 was the one that showed which of the dialogue choices actually meant anything. I'd see five or six choices in the scroll box, with one blue and one red. The rest were filler. If Bethesda is going with a hard limit of four choices (plus the walk away option) but each choice has meaning, I consider that an improvement over the past.

The perk you're talking about did not show which ones meant anything, it only showed if a dialog option would cause a positive or negative reaction with that character. Options in red would piss them off, blue would cause a positive reaction and the rest were neutral, but still important.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Leaked Fallout 4 Footage
24. Re: Leaked Fallout 4 Footage Nov 2, 2015, 17:39 jimnms

I'm less excited about this now. They've turned it into less of an RPG and more of an FPS. The voiced character is bad enough, but if you can't turn off the talking to yourself shit, I don't think I could play this. I don't want to "hear" my toon thinking whenever I look at items.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Screenshots
8. Re: Sunday Screenshots Nov 1, 2015, 19:20 jimnms

Rattlehead wrote on Nov 1, 2015, 17:11:
So an early review on Reddit says the dialogue system is pretty bad. It boils down to 4 choices. Good, bad, sarcastic, and tell me more.

Have you got a link for the review? This is what I feared after seeing the E3 footage. I can wait for this to be 75% off. I've got plenty of real RPG's and other games to play until then. I still need to finish my new F:NV game I started a few months ago when my arm heals and I can use the mouse again. I might re-play Fallout and Fallout 2 if my Steam controller comes before then since I can still work a controller.

I bet FO4 will still get glowing reviews and multiple GotY awards despite shitting all over the Fallout name.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
15. Re: Into the Black Oct 31, 2015, 04:17 jimnms

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 30, 2015, 22:37:
I am a seatbelt nazi. You get in MY car you put on YOUR seatbelt.

I can't drive or ride in a car without a seat belt. It just feels weird, like leaving the house without pants on. I'm the same way with passengers. My car doesn't move unless everyone's buckled up. The first thing I do when I get in is put the seat belt on. It drives me crazy when people get in my car and I look around before taking off and I'm the only one wearing my seat belt. Not only is it the law here and I can get a ticket for a passenger not wearing a seat belt, but I don't want to get sued if we get in a crash and your ass gets killed or hurt.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Windows 10 Oct 29, 2015, 19:34 jimnms

The Windows 10 free upgrade program has so far concentrated on those Windows 7 and 8 users who reserved their copy in the weeks leading up to the operating system's release.

I didn't reserve it and it's tried to force it's way onto both of my systems already. My gaming system I only have it set to notify me of updates and manually update after checking to make sure another Win10 update didn't sneak in or unhide itself. My other system is a media center/home server/Steam streaming box, and I have most things set to automatic on a schedule.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 29, 2015, 14:08 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 13:37:
Move Over Sit-and-Stand Desks, Here’s the Power Reclining Workstation.

Want! But $4K (sale price!) is a bit over the top.

What keeps the mouse from sliding off?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Review Flags Removed
11. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Review Flags Removed Oct 29, 2015, 13:59 jimnms

Kajetan wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 11:15:
Kxmode wrote on Oct 29, 2015, 11:02:
Really glad Valve jumped in and ended this nonsense.
Is this Valve? Or is "review flagging" a feature available to developers & publishers? Like devs & publishers can moderate/manage the Steam community forums of their games?

I can't imagine someone going through and flagging individual reviews, so it's probably an automatic flagging if the review is dated before the release date. Once the release date was reset to the original release date the review flags went away.

The same thing happens for early access reviews. Any review posted while a game is in early access gets flagged as an early access review. I reviewed a game during its early access, then edited it after it officially released hoping that would remove the early access flag but it didn't since the review's publish date doesn't change when you edit it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Ready to Roll
28. Re: Fallout 4 Ready to Roll Oct 24, 2015, 20:41 jimnms

Looks like I'm going to pass on this unless they release some real footage to change my mind. I always liked to play the vanilla game first, then wait for the DLC and play it again, but I'm tired of having to buy Bethesda's shit twice because of their recent change in DLC pricing, i.e. releasing a complete/ultimate/GOTY/WTFEver Edition and marking up the individual DLC prices. Not this time, I'll just wait for that complete package and a good discount.

It's not helping that I've got shit going on with my right arm which is preventing me from using the mouse, and it's taking it's sweet fucking time to heal. I had just started a new game of FNV with a shit ton of mods, but didn't get too far when this happened. When I'm healed up, I'll finish that, and then I've got an ass load of games I still need to play.

MeanJim on Steam

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 24, 2015, 09:34 jimnms

When it comes down to it, they don't care about deaths, they're going to do what costs the them the least amount of money in the long run. Car manufacturers have been caught in the past ignoring safety defects they discovered in a vehicle because an accountant figured it would be cheaper to settle a few wrongful death claims than recall and fix thousands of cars.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Falcon Collection on GOG.com
6. Re: Falcon Collection on GOG.com Oct 23, 2015, 21:44 jimnms

Aero wrote on Oct 23, 2015, 18:50:
Copies of Falcon 4.0 can go for upwards of $100 on auction sites.

I wonder what I can get for my original Falcon 4 with the binder, pretty much in mint condition.

I played the crap out of Falcon 3 back in the day on a screaming fast hand-me-down 25MHz 386 DX. Since I had the DX chip (math co-processor) I could run the high fidelity flight model, but couldn't run it on max graphics. A friend had a 25MHz 486 SX which ran it on higher graphics settings, but couldn't handle the high fidelity flight model.

I bought all of the addons for it, the MiG-29, F/A-18 and a mission pack or something. I was so pissed when I finally got a new system, a 90MHz Pentium and Falcon 3 wouldn't run on it. The new system was too fast and the game suffered from the speed thing (I forget the term).

I pre-ordered Falcon 4 and played the crap out of it from the day it release. I haven't played it in a long time though. I got back into it for a while when Falcon 4 AF was release. I just did a quick look and see that AF seems dead but BMS kept going.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Luck Video
9. Re: Fallout 4 Luck Video Oct 21, 2015, 17:47 jimnms

ItBurn wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 15:09:
jacobvandy wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 14:43:
jimnms wrote on Oct 21, 2015, 13:14:
I'd rather see some gameplay footage first. I'm not impressed with what little they've shown so far.

They're purposely not showing much to avoid spoilage, which I like. However, they've showed and told PLENTY about the game in terms of changes and additions since E3, not the least of which being the overhauled leveling system detailed in these videos and the one demonstrating the in-game perk tree. You've got the greatly expanded crafting system, the custom-built settlements, improved gunplay... What more do you need to know? If you didn't like FO3 or New Vegas, then you're not suddenly going to like FO4, regardless. The core game is the same.

If you've played their last games, with the information they already gave, you should know exactly what the game is. Bethesda is expertly managing the spoiling in order for people to enjoy the game fully. Hats off to them.

Yes I've played FO3 and FNV. Bethesda's FO3 was OK, but missed a lot of what made Fallout... Fallout. Obsidian's FNV was more of a true Fallout and more of an RPG. It had a more believable world, more interesting characters, better balance (until the DLC raising level cap fucked it up) and most of all the main story wasn't linear and retarded.

FO4 being a Bethesda in-house game isn't giving me much hope of an equal or improved experience over FNV. I didn't care for Skyrim pretty much for the same reason Task pointed out. The story was weak, the RPG elements were weak, the quests were boring, etc...

The only game play footage I've seen is what they showed at E3. I'm not to fond of moving to a voiced protagonist, but if you watch it closely you that the few conversations shown, the dialog options are limited to 4 responses. Not only are there only a few dialog options, they only show key-words, and since your character is voiced you don't know exactly what you're going to say when you pick one.

I want FO4 to be good, but I'm not getting my hopes up. I'm worried it'll be Skyrim with guns or (Fallout 3 2.0): a large open world with uninteresting characters, shallow quests and a dumb story.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Oct 21, 2015, 14:05 jimnms

I have a wired 360 controller for certain games. Now that I have Steam on my PC in the living room set up with the in-home Streaming, I want to get another controller so I can do some local coop games on the TV. I'm torn between getting another wired controller or picking up two wireless 360 controllers.

The advantage to wired is no worry about batteries, although I have plenty of low self-discharge re-chargeable batteries. The disadvantage is having wires to trip over when someone gets up to go to the kitchen, bathroom, etc. If I get another wired one, when it comes time to do some couch coop, I'll have to fetch the one from my gaming PC.

Wireless obviously had the advantage of not having wires to trip over, but it costs more. I figured if I go wireless I'd get two of the kits that have the receiver so I can have a receiver in each room and use the wireless controllers on either PC.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Luck Video
2. Re: Fallout 4 Luck Video Oct 21, 2015, 13:14 jimnms

I'd rather see some gameplay footage first. I'm not impressed with what little they've shown so far.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
3. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 17, 2015, 20:42 jimnms

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Oct 17, 2015, 13:31:
I can see the race for the counter to the anti-drone gun starting up already. Everything from frequency hopping to LOS based fallbacks and pre-programmed flight options in the case of signal failure from the transmitter.

The FCC usually doesn't like frequency jamming of any sort. I doubt this will destroy any "drones" though as most of them will fly back to where it started and land if it loses connection to the controller.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 15, 2015, 22:41 jimnms

raVen wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 19:57:
You can disable the task scheduler tasks for the win10 upgrade. I finally did that at home. (still using win7 at home and work.)

On my main system I check the updates and don't install the Win10 nagware (KB3035583). I hide the update every month, but it unhides itself every month for patch Tuesday.

My other Win7 machine I just let it do its thing, and the upgrade icon showed up on it for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I removed and hid the update, but a few days later it re-installed itself because I have everything automated on that system. I finally tried disabling the tasks, but there are several tasks that it doesn't let you disable. I disabled the ones I could and so far that has kept the icon from showing up again, but it keeps re-downloading the update.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Live-Action Trailer
9. Re: Fallout 4 Live-Action Trailer Oct 15, 2015, 22:21 jimnms

subx wrote on Oct 15, 2015, 20:32:
No power dog armour?

That willl be the first DLC.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Wasteland 2 Director's Cut Released
27. Re: Wasteland 2 Director's Cut Released Oct 13, 2015, 19:47 jimnms

I thoroughly enjoyed WL2. I didn't play it at release though, so most bugs had been fixed by the time I played it. I think there were only two patches after I started, and I only ran into one bug that made it hard to complete a quest because a scripted event was bugging out. I reported it on their forum and they patched it a few weeks later. I managed to get through it before the patch though just by luck.

The party I ended up playing with all had different weapon skills. I had one pistol/energy weapons, one SMG, one AR and one sniper. I planned to add a melee skill to a the others as a backup later, but I never felt I needed it. Rather than switch to a melee weapon and trade blows, it was always better to just move and shoot them. I did end up giving bladed weapons skill to my AR character though.

The weapons did need some balancing, and I hope they've accomplished that. It became clear that early on that assault rifles were the best weapon. My sniper and AR characters were doing most of the damage and killing. My SMG character hardly ever got in range to do any damage, so rather than give that character a backup melee skill I switched to AR for primary and SMG as a backup/close range weapon. Melee characters didn't become useful until they had leveled up and were equipped with decent armor because they are going to eat some shots getting into range to do damage. I started another game before with a melee character, which also happened to be my only surgeon. I hit a random encounter right out of the citadel and he got killed right away. I re-started and changed my character's skills and restarted.

Melee skills became quite lethal at higher levels though. I kept Pizepi (sp?) and Scotchmo in my party for most of the game. Since Pizepi comes with a high level in energy weapons, I gave her brawling. Once that skill reached around level 6 or so, she was doing more damage punching things than her energy weapons. Blunt weapons also seemed pretty useful, but bladed weapons were pretty weak even at the end game.

I hope they've balanced the difficulty too. I played on normal starting out. In the early game it was challenging but not hard. The most challenging parts were some random encounters I hit around the prison area. I had a couple that wiped out my team, and a few that left me barely alive. Eventually I was rolling over every encounter without taking much damage, so I switched to Ranger difficulty. I don't like that the difficulty just reduces the damage your team does and increases the damage enemies do. That seems like a cheap way of doing it. I rarely ever saw enemies using equal or better equipment than what I had, so I'd rather see them give the enemy better equipment on harder difficulty levels.

The game was rather long if you're an OCD completionist like me that had to explore every inch and do every side quest. I don't know exactly how long it took me to complete. Steam says I've played 361 hours, but not all of that was one game. Some of that was playing around in early access, but I don't remember exactly how much.

MeanJim on Steam

2621 Comments. 132 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo