Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2686 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 13, 2016, 13:55 jimnms

To make matters worse for the 30,000 followers who had been awaiting Sarah's return, the husband claims his partner would be unable to stream on any other account for five years as part of a non-compete clause.

That's kind of a dick move. This must have been a nasty divorce and marriage.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. A dozen states are considering getting rid of daylight saving time. Is that a good thing? Mar 12, 2016, 14:03 jimnms

The sun would rise earlier, giving farmers an extra hour of daylight to work.

Umm, farmers don't work by the clock, they go to work when the sun comes up and quit when it goes down, no matter what time it is.

I'm all for ending the switching of clocks and sticking to one time. I like the extra hour of daylight during day light saving time, but I think we should keep standard time, where noon is the time when the sun is at its highest point and instead move "standard" business hours back one hour. One place I worked at I had worked from 7am to 3:30pm. I loved those hours because when I got off work there was plenty of daylight left to get shit done. At first I hated the shorter lunch break, but it didn't take long to get used to it and eventually grew to like it. I didn't need an hour to eat lunch and it meant getting off work half an hour earlier.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. There are ways the FBI can crack the iPhone PIN without Apple doing it for them. Mar 10, 2016, 00:23 jimnms

I said this in the last Apple vs. FBI topic.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Computer Truouble Mar 8, 2016, 23:52 jimnms

I hope this isn't a sign of my system about to bite the dust, but for the past few days it will not resume from sleep. Since building this system 5 years ago, I've used the hybrid sleep mode every night, usually only rebooting once a month after patch Tuesday. I wake it up by smacking the keyboard and it comes on instantly. Now the system powers on, but the monitor doesn't come on and there's no disk activity. I've occasionally had this happen before, but it's done it every time the past few days. Sometimes I can press reset to make it restart, other times I have to power it off by holding the power button for 5 seconds. One time it wouldn't reset or power off with the button and I had to pull the plug to get it to turn off.

After I get it to reset, I get a BIOS message that it failed to overclock, press F1 to enter setup or F2 to load default and continue. I press F1 and everything is the way it should be. I exit and Windows resumes from the hibernate file and everything works fine until I put it to sleep again.

I turned it off the a couple of days ago, then put it to sleep the next night, but it failed to resume again. Last night I just put it straight into hibernation and it resumed just fine, so it just doesn't like to sleep anymore.

I haven't had time to troubleshoot it yet. I am overclocking it, I have been for a while. I'll probably run a memtest overnight, or probably tomorrow since there is supposed to be some storms coming through overnight. If it passes, I'll try putting it back to stock clock and see if it will resume. If it keeps failing, I don't know what else to check.

I guess it picked a good time to start crapping out. I was planning to pick out parts for a new build in a couple of weeks. I want to keep this one around for a second system though, so I really don't want it to crap out.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
23. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 7, 2016, 16:27 jimnms

NKD wrote on Mar 6, 2016, 21:42:
jimnms wrote on Mar 6, 2016, 19:18:
Her phone was unlocked and he took pictures of the pictures on her phone with his phone, and he's being charged with Computer Crimes?

Contrary to what some people here believe, leaving something unlocked doesn't confer consent to rifle through it. If the photos were plainly displayed in the open without him having to actually touch the phone then it would be a different story.

But accessing someones property and then proceeding to share what you find with malicious intent breaks numerous laws in just about every jurisdiction, whether it be a phone, a car, a home, or an office.

I'm not disputing that. What he did was clearly wrong. If he had opened her purse, found a nude photograph, taken a picture of the photograph with a film camera, made copies and distributed them, he'd be facing lesser charges. Because the photos were on a digital device and he used a digital device to photograph them, he's now facing felony computer crimes makes no sense.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Mar 6, 2016, 19:18 jimnms

Her phone was unlocked and he took pictures of the pictures on her phone with his phone, and he's being charged with Computer Crimes?  

MeanJim on Steam

2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 4, 2016, 00:00 jimnms

The FBI doesn't need Apple's help to crack the encrypted phone. They have the phone, all they have to do is remove the storage chip and use one of the govt.'s super computers to brute force it. The FBI is doing this for the media coverage to get support for having back doors in any encrypted device.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Dead Island Definitive Edition Announced
3. Re: Dead Island Definitive Edition Announced Mar 3, 2016, 23:47 jimnms

I started the first game playing coop with a friend. It wasn't the greatest game in the world, but I thought it was fun. Then one day my friend decides he doesn't like it and didn't want to play it anymore. It wasn't as fun playing by myself, so I quit playing too.

I don't know if playing coop first made the SP aspect of it boring to me, or would I have had the same opinion of it had I played it SP first.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 3, 2016, 23:22 jimnms

The last time I bought a hard drive was 4 years ago when I built a new Media Center PC. I could have re-used the old HDD from the machine it was replacing, but it had been running 24/7 for over 5 years and I wanted to upgrade the storage capacity. The old drive from the Media Center PC replaced my old drive which I use in an external dock as my primary backup (I have a secondary backup drive which is kept in a fire safe).

Even though I plan to build a new system soon, I don't need to buy a new HDD. I will upgrade to a larger SSD in the new system, but the HDD will move to the new system.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Security & Trading Update
3. Re: Steam Security & Trading Update Mar 3, 2016, 22:48 jimnms

Dev wrote on Mar 3, 2016, 07:33:
I think they mean "we are tired of restoring items if you get hacked, so as of that date we will no longer bother"

That's fine with me, but why are they punishing people with mandatory 15 day waiting periods for trades/market transactions for not using the mobile authenticator? Currently the mobile app only supports Android, iOS and certain mobile carriers, which leaves a lot of people unable to use it even if they have a smart phone.

If you get hacked, you're going to lose your items anyway, so why not give people the option to opt out of using the mobile authentication and disable the waiting period?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Security & Trading Update
1. Re: Steam Security & Trading Update Mar 2, 2016, 19:49 jimnms

Are they trying to kill off the market and trading?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
16. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 1, 2016, 14:07 jimnms

I don't want to live on this planet any more.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Game Reviews
2. Re: Game Reviews Feb 29, 2016, 00:29 jimnms

I had the same thought about the game. My father died of cancer when I was in high school and my mother was recently diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing treatment. I've dealt with and dealing with enough of it in real life, so I have no desire to play a game about it.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Feb 29, 2016, 00:12 jimnms

"The only way this is going to get fixed is by executive order from President Trump," he said.

I'd rather lose my job than have that fucker as president.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Season Pass Tops Steam Top 10
14. Re: Fallout 4 Season Pass Tops Steam Top 10 Feb 28, 2016, 23:57 jimnms

PHJF wrote on Feb 28, 2016, 10:53:
Just started playing the FONV DLC (yeah so I don't generally give a fuck about DLC, wanna fight about it?). Honest Hearts was absolutely abysmal. Like the shittiest modder's abortive first attempt at original content.

It wasn't the best DLC for NV, but it wasn't bad. The best part of that DLC is the exploration. If you just do the quests and nothing else, you miss half of the story. You find out the true story of the tribes by exploring and reading the notes and stuff left behind.

Everyone raves about Old World Blues, but I didn't find it all that great. To me it ranks about the same as Honest Hearts. The dialog with the robots is great, but the rest of it is meh. The setting is nice, but there was too much back tracking. It seemed to go on forever, and after a while I was just hoping that it would be over soon so I could leave. I also didn't like that the "rewards" for completing it were OP.

My personal favorite was Dead Money, especially in hardcore mode where you take constant damage outside. I love it when a DLC takes you out of your comfort zone and removes all of your items and makes you start from scratch too.

The worst, IMO, is Lonesome Road. To me it just doesn't fit. The first thing I hated was that it shoehorns in a back story for your character in the middle of the game. My first game with the DLC, I had created a back story for my character where I was from somewhere West in California, and I signed on to the courier service to get out and see the world. I had only done local jobs close to home and the job deliver the chip to Vegas was my first big job taking me farther than I'd been before. Then I get to this DLC and this crazy guy is telling me I've been here before and delivered a package that caused the destruction of The Divide. That totally ruined it for me because for me, I (my character) had never been very far from home, and the game/story is now telling me that I have. There was no option to convince him that he had mistaken me for someone else, I either had to admit my mistake and talk him down or kill him. I chose to kill him because I wasn't going to take the blame for something I didn't do.

This DLC felt like something Bethesda wrote, not Obsidian. The level design was nice, but the story was linear and the only decisions you make come at the end. It also had some stupid moments along the way that were Fallout 3 levels of stupid. There was the part where you had to launch a nuke in order to open a door, and the launch console was right there, outside, at ground level instead of in an underground bunker. Then it had that Fallout 3 feel because you're trying to reach this guy that somehow got through this stuff and I'm having to get though all of these obstacle while he somehow got through without a problem.

MeanJim on Steam

10. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 25, 2016, 17:55 jimnms

I've used Handbrake to create movies from DVD/BR disks. I don't know if it can bypass the DRM since I had AnyDVD HD running when I ripped movies. Usually when I rip a movie, I'm shrinking it down to put on a tablet where I don't have the space for a full size rip or need 1080p video. If Handbrake doesn't bypass the DRM and AnyDVD can't decrypt it due to not having updated certificates, that means now I'll have to rip with MakeMKV, then run it through Handbrake, which will just take more time.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > The Flame in the Flood Released
5. Re: The Flame in the Flood Released Feb 25, 2016, 17:23 jimnms

I saw the release stream of this on GOG's Twitch channel. It looks like fun, and kind of reminds me of Don't Starve.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Shadwen Demo; Playing Lowers Game's Price
7. Re: Shadwen Demo; Playing Lowers Game's Price Feb 25, 2016, 15:42 jimnms

AlexSledge wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 11:59:
This isn't really a stealth game, but a stop motion puzzler similar to Braid, only in 3D wrapped in the illusion of a stealth game. Anyone looking for a true Thief sequel will need to continue their wait.

There is an option to disable the stop motion and let it run in real time.

MeanJim on Steam

8. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 25, 2016, 15:35 jimnms

nin wrote on Feb 24, 2016, 21:11:
Sad to hear about slysoft. Would be a little surprised if it doesn't popup again elsewhere. If not, it's been a great run...

I bought AnyDVD HD lifetime a long time ago and still use it to watch movies. I originally bought it because my BR player didn't recognize my monitor as HDCP even though it was, but it recognizes my current one. I still use it because I like that it can auto skip the annoying trailers and shit and just let me watch the damn movie.

If they can't get back in business somewhere else, I hope they'll release their code as opens ource so it can continue.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 01:39 jimnms

Creston wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 14:57:
Fair enough, but I was talking about car engines. With the current emissions standards, Diesel engines aren't going to be "clean."

Diesel engines in cars and light duty trucks are still a lot more efficient than an equivalent gasoline engine. Diesel engines put out way less CO2 per mile, and under current regulations only a fraction more NOx.

No, they most specifically did NOT pass these emissions tests without cheating, that is in fact the entire point. They slid into cheat mode to pass the emissions tests, and then go on the road, turn off cheat mode, and happily spew waaaaay more crap than is allowed.

If they didn't pass emissions certification they never would have been allowed on the road to begin with. The cars CAN and DID pass the tests. They don't cheat to pass the emissions, they cheat to improve mileage and performance by switching off the emissions equipment after they've been tested. The software was supposed to detect when it was being tested and switch on the emissions equipment, then when it's not being tested it turns off the emissions equipment to get better power and fuel economy.

It is expensive, that's why they don't go with it. It costs a lot to install, and the blue liquid is pretty pricey too.

It's not any more expensive than any other emissions equipment, and it's not like they don't have the tech since they use it on other diesel vehicles, hell they used it in the Passat a few years ago.

The exhaust fluid is expensive for what it is, 1/3 urea and 2/3 water, but it's not that expensive to buy. It probably costs a few cents per gallon to make, but since it's an emissions related component they probably get away with charging a premium for it. I searched local parts stores and found 2.5 gallon jugs for under $8, but you can buy it for under $3/gal from the pumps at truck stops and they're cropping up at regular pumps as well. The exhaust fluid is used at a 50:1 ratio, so in a car getting 40 MPG, 1 gallon of exhaust fluid will last 2000 miles, or to put it another way, it costs less than 2 tenths of a cent per mile.

? So first you say they didn't cheat, and now you say they did cheat. Btw, I think you have the entire way of the cheat mechanism turned out, but I honestly can't be bothered to go read through the hundreds of reports on this junk again, so eh. :)

Is English not your primary language? I never said they didn't cheat.

MeanJim on Steam

2686 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo