Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2636 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Oculus Rift $599
32. Re: Oculus Rift $599 Jan 6, 2016, 14:31 jimnms

Are there some kind of VR standards or are we going to have different games/software supporting different VR headsets?  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. At C.D.C., a Debate Behind Recommendations on Cellphone Risk Jan 3, 2016, 22:20 jimnms

Was I the only one that glanced over the title and wondered why ACDC was debating cell phone risks?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Duke & Free Dragonsphere Leaving GOG.com
2. Re: Duke & Free Dragonsphere Leaving GOG.com Dec 28, 2015, 22:23 jimnms

I still have my Duke 3D box and CD, which includes Duke 1 & 2, which are already DRM free, and I backed up the CD image to external HD's years ago. I bought the Duke 3D Atomic Edition from GOG a while back since I never got the expansions when they were originally released.

It was only a buck and change to complete the collection and get Duke 1+2, Manhattan Project and Balls of Steel.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2015, 23:20 jimnms

Alamar wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 14:32:
Think I'm gonna take a break from buying a TV this Boxing Day Sale Season... Previous two years in a row was enough for now ; )

Was hoping for some better sales on other stuff, but alas, another letdown...

You buy a TV every year? Inquisitive

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Issues Fixed
18. Re: Steam Issues Fixed Dec 26, 2015, 20:13 jimnms

Valve is the worst company when it comes to communicating with its customers.

I was gone for most of the day yesterday so I had no idea anything had happened. I think the problem was starting because I remember trying to check the store page before I left and it was slow, and when I finally did get it to load I was logged out. I didn't think anything was wrong because ever since enabling the Steam Mobile Auth crap, it makes me re-log in every other day on my browser, so I did try to log and it failed. I didn't bother with it and left to go do family stuff.

I didn't know what had happened until today when the community sites went down and I saw some random comment on a random forum linking to a Reddit post saying Steam had been hacked.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2015, 02:06 jimnms

Dev wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 00:33:
If that's the only reason, why not adjust the split with the slider so it goes entirely to charity? Or humble store?

Humble Bundle is the only one that allows that. I do adjust the slider to 0% for games I own or don't want, but I still feel shitty giving 0% to the games I don't want because I'm still getting them. I still skip the bundle if it's one game I want and it's in the BTA or a fixed price tier. I'll just wait and pick it up on sale by itself. I always wonder though, when they have hidden games, how does it distribute the money once those are revealed since I've already adjusted the slider.

What caused me to think before buying bundles was when I bought a bundle of 12 games, which contained one game I wanted and two others that looked interesting. It wasn't a name your price kind of deal, it was a fixed price of $3. As I was playing the game I wanted, which I really liked, it hit me that after they split the profits between the other games, the bundle host, tax and whatever, they probably only got 10-20 cents per sale from that bundle. I'd rather have had my $3 all go to that one good game than split with the other junk I haven't touched. I later bought that game again from GOG just to support the dev.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Dec 22, 2015, 22:38 jimnms

There's only one game in that bundle that I want, but I have a feeling one or more will be added in the BTA tier later. I stopped buying bundles unless it contains a majority of games I want because I don't want to buy a bundle for one or two games and have the developer(s) of the good game(s) split the money with the junk it got bundled by. In this case, it's all Square Enix, so I guess it doesn't matter.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 22, 2015, 03:17 jimnms

Yawho?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 16, 2015, 19:03 jimnms

I've been thinking of picking up a cheap tablet for a while now and leaning toward an Amazon tablet since I have Amazon Prime. I had a good high end tablet (at the time I bought it) until a year or so ago. After a few months the novelty wore off and I hardly used it, then I sort of forgot about it, and then I accidentally broke it.

I can't decide on getting something super cheap like this $50 tablet or something a little higher up in the $100-150 range. Although if I had seen these on sale for $35, I probably would have gotten one.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Dec 12, 2015, 03:17 jimnms

I just tried a first person game with the Steam Controller today. I tried it on Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist, and it was surprisingly easy to get used to. I did the trick with the gyro for smoother movement control like they showed in one of the videos. It's still not as good as a keyboard and mouse, but it's way better than a controller. I think it will work fine for single player FPS games. I might try playing Fallout New Vegas with it, which I had just started a new game right before this pain in my arm started.

I didn't have high expectations for the Steam Controller in first person games because I tried playing The Stanley Parable with the XB360 controller a while ago to see how well I could adjust to using it in first person, and I hated it. Maybe I'm weird, but I couldn't get used to the layout of the controls. I don't know if many games let you rebind controls when using a controller, especially the analog stick axes, but The Stanley Parable doesn't let you change anything. It uses the left stick to move forward/backward and strafe left/right and the right stick to look up/down/left/right. I naturally want to move forward/backward and turn left right with my left thumb and look up/down and strafe left/right with my right thumb. I was having to constantly concentrate to move around and look where I was going. I kept playing, and just as I would start getting used to it and relax, I would revert back to wanting to do it the other way.

The Steam Controller's settings I used were similar to the XB360 controller with the analog stick moving forward/backward and strafing left/right and the right trackpad to look around. It took me a few minutes to dial in the sensitivity so I could do quick movement with the trackpad and fine movement with the gyro, but after that I didn't have a problem adjusting to it at all, it just felt right.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Valve on Steam Trade Changes
15. Re: Valve on Steam Trade Changes Dec 11, 2015, 20:25 jimnms

Warning: if you have a short attention span just skip down to the DL;DR.

Sepharo wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 01:52:
You still had to enter your Steam password, right?
That's two-factor authentication.

The last one you described would be three factor authentication. I've never heard of it doing both a text message and email like that? Are you sure you're not confusing two different two-factor authentication methods?

This past weekend I tried to log in to my account on my old gaming system that my niece uses. She has her own Steam account, and I had logged in with my account to setup family sharing a long time ago when I set it up for her. I haven't used that system for my personal account since then, so I guess authorizations expire if you don't log in after some time. When I started up Steam it only asked me for the mobile auth code. I didn't have to enter my password because it was already stored, so in this instance it was only a single factor authentication.

My point is still that with the mobile auth it took less steps than before. I had to authorized a "new device" last summer when the Steam monster summer game crashed Firefox. When I restarted and logged back into Steam it didn't recognize my browser and made me reauthorize it. I had to enter the code sent by SMS and I got an email too. I either had to click the link there to confirm the authorization or it was informing me that a new device had been associated with my account and if I didn't do it to click the link and cancel it. I didn't get any such email last weekend.

Sepharo wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 01:52:
Edit: Besides you're using some winforms app someone whipped up with a built in update feature and you're entering your Steam PW there... as you say, "You can't cure stupidity"

It's a modification to the open source code of WinAuth, which has been around for 5 years, to add the trade confirmations to it. I'm willing to bet WinAuth will also add this feature soon since it already has support for Steam's Mobile Authentication.

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 02:05:
You keep saying this, but it's simply not true. Emulating it on your PC is less secure compared to having it on an actual mobile device, but a code that expires after about 10 seconds is way more secure than SMS and/or email.

I said it seems less secure, and you just backed up my point while calling it untrue at the same time. Anyone that doesn't own a smart phone and people that own a non Android or iOS smartphones are now less secure if they want to continue trading unrestricted because the only alternative is to use an emulator on your desktop. There's no reason why the SMS codes and email links can't expire too.

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 02:05:
The point of binding an authenticator to your account is that it can't simply be removed or changed like those other things can. You either have to have an authenticator code (which would require physical possession of the mobile device) or the special recovery code that is shown to you one time only for 30 seconds, which you should write down and keep in a safe non-digital place. Otherwise you go into support to reset it and your account is locked out of trading and all that for a week anyway.

Where your primary email is used to manage your password and SMS functions, the authenticator app requires access to a specific piece of hardware for which its codes are uniquely generated. They can't get that via phishing or trojan.

The deauth code is just another piece of information that a scammer/phisher needs to con someone out of to gain access to their account. Nothing is perfect and secure. In a few months time someone will find a vulnerability.

descender wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 10:36:
Being in physical possession of the desktop where your authenticator is installed is no different than physically possessing your phone. I think the problem here is you don't know what multi-factor authentication is. The process you describe is actually more than "2 factors" because you likely need your desktop account password or phone lock code to get into that device in addition to physically possessing it.

Yes, I do know what multi-factor authorization is. If someone gets physical access to your computer or phone, unless the device's storage is encrypted, a desktop password or phone lock is easily bypassed. The secret key that generates the codes can be read off the device and used to take over an account. None of that really matters because I doubt someone is going to hunt you down and steal your phone/computer just to get access to your Steam account.

descender wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 10:36:
The authenticator isn't mandatory, as you said if you don't use it they simply put your trades on a 3 day hold. Who cares if it takes 3 days? Is this trade a matter of life and death? That's the inconvenience you have to deal with because you choose not to properly secure your account. A speck of dust playing the saddest song on the tiniest violin in the world.

I don't have a problem with waiting 3 days, but some people do. This has created two groups, those that can trade instantly and those that are stuck with escrow. I'm already seeing people in trade forums saying they won't trade with you if your account uses escrow. This is an unnecessary inconvenience imposed by Valve. I'm not choosing to properly secure my account, I don't own an Android or iOS device. If I had one I would use the mobile auth app. If Valve pushed this out and only supported Windows phones I'm sure we'd be seeing a lot more people pissed off.

TL;DR:

I don't have a problem with the mobile auth app. Many people don't own a smart phone and not every smart phone runs Android or iOS. My problem is Valve is basically punishing you if you can't secure your account with a supported device. This has now split people into two groups, those that can trade instantly and those stuck with escrow. Some people that can trade instantly are choosing not to trade with those that can't. Valve could let people opt out of escrow and make it clear that not using it will disqualify you from having stolen items recovered.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Ravaged Pulled; 2 Dawn Closed
6. Re: Ravaged Pulled; 2 Dawn Closed Dec 11, 2015, 15:26 jimnms

7.62WorldOrder wrote on Dec 9, 2015, 23:44:
I liked it but it didn't support inverting the mouse. That's a deal breaker for a MP shooter, it's like trying to throw a ball with your off hand. I don't think a lot of developers appreciate this.

It does support inverted mouse, otherwise I couldn't have played it. There was an issue with the helicopters in the beta where the controls reversed if you had inverted mouse turned on. They fixed that before release though.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > XCOM 2 in February; Digital Deluxe Edition Revealed
18. Re: XCOM 2 in February; Digital Deluxe Edition Revealed Dec 11, 2015, 01:49 jimnms

I still need to finish the first one. I put like 40 hours in, then weird shit began happening like the hit percent only displaying 1% or 99%. I didn't want to start over, so I continued on although I was pretty much playing blind not knowing the real chance to hit an enemy. Then when my snipers with squad sight could not see enemies at all I quit. I don't know if it was some kind of save game corruption or what, but I was playing in iron man mode so loading an earlier save wasn't an option.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Valve on Steam Trade Changes
11. Re: Valve on Steam Trade Changes Dec 11, 2015, 01:27 jimnms

chickenboo wrote on Dec 10, 2015, 14:40:
How often do you make Steam item trades? I maybe make one per year.

I trade the cards quite often. I mostly use sites like SteamTrade Matcher and trading bots.

chickenboo wrote on Dec 10, 2015, 14:40:
Don't have a smartphone? Have SteamGuard send codes to your email.inventory.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way. They now require you to use an Android or iOS device and the mobile authenticator or your trades are placed in a 3-day escrow period.

You can't cure stupidity and all these new security measures are punishing everyone trying to protect stupid users that fall for phishing/scamming and fail to protect their accounts with unique passwords.

The extra security is fine, but don't make it mandatory. Make it optional and require users to agree that if they don't use all of the security measures available then Valve won't be responsible for restoring lost items due to you getting scammed.

New scams are cropping up taking advantage of this, like fake Steam trade windows that send a file called Escrow.exe and tell you it's the new escrow feature and you must install it to complete the trade. Trolls have found a way to use escrow shut down some of the trade bots by locking all of their items in escrow and forcing the bot owners to cancel the trades, which if you cancel a trade in escrow it locks your account from all trades for 7 days.

This mobile authenticator seems less secure to me. I don't have a smart phone, but I'm using Steam Desktop Authenticator which emulates the mobile authenticator. When I logged into Steam from a new device, all I had to do was enter the code from the mobile authenticator and I was in. That's only a single point of authentication. Before this I had to enter a code sent by SMS to my phone and click a confirmation link sent to my email.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
2. Re: etc., etc. Dec 11, 2015, 00:37 jimnms

I pre-ordered one in October and received it mid November. The only reason I bought one is because I have a pinched nerve or something in my right arm that's making it painful to use the mouse. I have XB360 controllers for certain games and local coop games, so I tried playing a game with the controller and it was fine. After playing only controller games for a while, I wanted to get back to playing keyboard and mouse games, so I went ahead and ordered it. I've had it three weeks now. I'm still getting used to it, but I there are a few things I don't like though.

With the XB360 controller resting comfortably in my hands, my thumbs naturally rest on the left analog stick and ABXY buttons. Quickly reaching for the D-pad or right analog stick is just a matter of sliding my thumbs over, but if I'm going to be using either of those for long periods of time I hold the controller slightly different so that my thumb(s) naturally lay on those instead.

On the Steam Controller my thumbs naturally rest on the two track pads, but reaching for the analog stick and ABXY buttons feels awkward. It has to do with the different grip of the the controller and probably the size/shape of my hands. The Steam Controller's grip is designed to elevate your hand so the tips of your thumbs touch the track pads. With the position of my thumbs while holding the Steam Controller I have to stretch to reach for the analog stick or ABXY buttons. I can use an alternate grip on the controller like I do with the XB360 controller to make my thumbs rest on the analog stick and ABXY buttons, but then my fingers no longer sit comfortably on the triggers. This isn't really an issue because any game that uses only the analog stick and ABXY buttons I would be playing with the XB360 controller.

The bumper buttons are very stiff to push. I find I have to clamp down on my grip to press them, which sometimes causes me to accidentally push the back paddle buttons. They seem to be loosening up though, so maybe they'll get better over time.

My biggest complaint though is the requirement to be in Big Picture mode to set up and use certain features of the controller. Big Picture if perfect for playing on the couch in the living room with a big TV, but I still like to play some games at my desk and prefer not to use Big Picture. Once you set up the controller for a game, it will still work if you launch the game from the normal Steam interface, but as I mentioned, some features, like the touch menu overlay, only work while in Big Picture mode.

Hopefully they will add support for you to configure the controller without having to go in Big Picture mode and implement the use of all features outside of Big Picture.

Some games (like RPG's) I like to use the overlay and have a google doc open for taking notes. The Big Picture overlay web browser is buggy, clunky and for some odd reason disables the keyboard when using the Steam Controller, so I prefer to to play those games at my desk and not in Big Picture.

I haven't tried it, but I don't think the Steam Controller would be good for driving games. The triggers have very short travel compared to the XB360 before they reach the click spot.

Overall, I like it and they keep adding features. I never would have gotten one if it weren't for my arm being hurt. Even when playing games at my desk, it's nice to play some games relaxing back in my chair instead of hunched over a keyboard and mouse. Knowing what I know though, if my arm weren't hurt, I wouldn't get one. I still go to the XB360 controller for any game that has native controller support and I'd rather play FPS/TPS games with the keyboard and mouse.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Ravaged Pulled; 2 Dawn Closed
3. Re: Ravaged Pulled; 2 Dawn Closed Dec 9, 2015, 14:43 jimnms

I had fun with it, but it was short lived and the player base died out quickly. It wasn't a bad game, but it did feel a little unfinished or more of a mod than a full blown game. It just didn't offer enough to pull in a large enough player base. My MP time is limited (non-existent for the past 2.5 months), and every time I fired it up, the only server populated was the demo server.

When they released the Zombie Apocalypse update, I tried it out again, but only ever saw 2 or 3 people on a server at a time.

Is there a way to see what the reviews were now that the store page is gone? I though it had a mostly positive score the last time I looked.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2015, 14:48.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
21. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 9, 2015, 14:23 jimnms

Retired wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 21:04:
So why go through all of that? Why not just use the program. It runs idle to tell you when MSFT tries to trick you. Also, they are doing other udpates that usurp 5583 and trying to piece mail the update to your box.

This also allows for a 1 click delete of folder (which wasn't easy previously).

All of what? I disabled a few tasks in task scheduler vs. disabling automatic updates, downloading and installing something that could do who knows what else.

On my gaming system, I'm much more hands on, the whole "if you want something done right, do it yourself" thing.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
13. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 8, 2015, 19:03 jimnms

Retired wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 11:16:
If you haven't done so, the program listed in that article is very helpful. Loaded it up and shut down all Win 10 stuff. Then shut off Windows Updates again.

You don't need a special program to disable it. On my gaming system, I have Windows Update to only notify me of updates. Every time I run Windows Update I make sure not to install KB3035583. You have to hide it every patch Tuesday because they change the publish date and it unhides it.

The system in my living room, which I use as a DVR and Steam's streaming to play games on the TV, I leave everything automated since it doesn't have a mouse or keyboard. It has KB3035583 installed, and the GWX icon eventually showed up on it. The only thing I did to that system was disable the GWX tasks in Task Scheduler / Microsoft / Windows / Setup / GWX, and it hasn't tried to push Win10 on it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Delete Steam Games
37. Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 19:42 jimnms

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 14:28:
Not a rock, per se... Have been spending a lot of time in the Commonwealth, though. I also don't do much actual trading. The marketplace was made for those high volumes of cheap items, so that's what I use for the cards. I don't get the argument you're trying to make, though; you're against having to use the authenticator for trades (takes 5 seconds to look up a code on a phone, it's not that much of a chore IMO), but you want them to force that on people for every game deletion request? If you have Steam Guard enabled, and there's no reason not to, you already have to use the authenticator to log in to the support site before you can access that function.

The important thing to note here is that the support site is a separate entity, on Steampowered.com, but your inventory and all that other stuff is on SteamCommunity.com. It requires two logins, and so two authentications as well, to access both from the same browser. You would never be logged in to the support site under normal circumstances, checking the store or your activity feed or forums or trading, especially not on a public computer. So as I said earlier in the thread, it's your own fault if you left that access open for a stranger or other ne'er-do-well to delete your games. Protecting that sort of thing is probably why they spun all the normal Steam features off into their own site to begin with.

I'm against being forced to use the mobile authentacator. Make it optional, not required. Not everyone has a smart phone, me included. Anyone without a smart phone will be locked out of instant trades. I called BS on their reason for forcing the mobile authenticator being to protect users. If your account is compromised, this new system makes it harder to steal your virtual trading cards than it is to delete your entire library of games from your account.

The mobile authenticator seems like it will make your account less secure. If your smart phone is lost or stolen, everything you need to take over a Steam account is now located in one convenient place.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Delete Steam Games
34. Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 13:19 jimnms

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 01:31:
jimnms wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 23:16:
I said it the other day, forcing forcing everyone to use the Steam Mobile Authenticator for trading had nothing to do with protecting users. They want to make it a pain in the ass to trade so more people will use the market instead. If they really wanted to protect users you wouldn't be able instantly delete games from your account easier than it is to trade stupid cards worth a few cents.

You're not forced... You can disable the trade confirmation emails if you're so inclined. They have it enabled by default to protect the ignorant, and the feature in itself was made to benefit those with significant value stored in their inventory. Feel free to throw caution to the wind (and forfeit your right to petition Support about lost items) if all you deal with is small potatoes among friends.

Have you been living under a rock the past few weeks? After December 9th you'll be required to use the Steam Mobile Authenticator or your trades will be held in escrow for 3 days. This is supposedly done to protect users from losing items if their accounts are hacked/stolen, but why aren't they extending this same protection to your games if they really want to protect their users?

MeanJim on Steam

2636 Comments. 132 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo