Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2621 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ravaged Pulled; 2 Dawn Closed
3. Re: Ravaged Pulled; 2 Dawn Closed Dec 9, 2015, 14:43 jimnms

I had fun with it, but it was short lived and the player base died out quickly. It wasn't a bad game, but it did feel a little unfinished or more of a mod than a full blown game. It just didn't offer enough to pull in a large enough player base. My MP time is limited (non-existent for the past 2.5 months), and every time I fired it up, the only server populated was the demo server.

When they released the Zombie Apocalypse update, I tried it out again, but only ever saw 2 or 3 people on a server at a time.

Is there a way to see what the reviews were now that the store page is gone? I though it had a mostly positive score the last time I looked.

This comment was edited on Dec 9, 2015, 14:48.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
21. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 9, 2015, 14:23 jimnms

Retired wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 21:04:
So why go through all of that? Why not just use the program. It runs idle to tell you when MSFT tries to trick you. Also, they are doing other udpates that usurp 5583 and trying to piece mail the update to your box.

This also allows for a 1 click delete of folder (which wasn't easy previously).

All of what? I disabled a few tasks in task scheduler vs. disabling automatic updates, downloading and installing something that could do who knows what else.

On my gaming system, I'm much more hands on, the whole "if you want something done right, do it yourself" thing.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
13. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 8, 2015, 19:03 jimnms

Retired wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 11:16:
If you haven't done so, the program listed in that article is very helpful. Loaded it up and shut down all Win 10 stuff. Then shut off Windows Updates again.

You don't need a special program to disable it. On my gaming system, I have Windows Update to only notify me of updates. Every time I run Windows Update I make sure not to install KB3035583. You have to hide it every patch Tuesday because they change the publish date and it unhides it.

The system in my living room, which I use as a DVR and Steam's streaming to play games on the TV, I leave everything automated since it doesn't have a mouse or keyboard. It has KB3035583 installed, and the GWX icon eventually showed up on it. The only thing I did to that system was disable the GWX tasks in Task Scheduler / Microsoft / Windows / Setup / GWX, and it hasn't tried to push Win10 on it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Delete Steam Games
37. Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 19:42 jimnms

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 14:28:
Not a rock, per se... Have been spending a lot of time in the Commonwealth, though. I also don't do much actual trading. The marketplace was made for those high volumes of cheap items, so that's what I use for the cards. I don't get the argument you're trying to make, though; you're against having to use the authenticator for trades (takes 5 seconds to look up a code on a phone, it's not that much of a chore IMO), but you want them to force that on people for every game deletion request? If you have Steam Guard enabled, and there's no reason not to, you already have to use the authenticator to log in to the support site before you can access that function.

The important thing to note here is that the support site is a separate entity, on Steampowered.com, but your inventory and all that other stuff is on SteamCommunity.com. It requires two logins, and so two authentications as well, to access both from the same browser. You would never be logged in to the support site under normal circumstances, checking the store or your activity feed or forums or trading, especially not on a public computer. So as I said earlier in the thread, it's your own fault if you left that access open for a stranger or other ne'er-do-well to delete your games. Protecting that sort of thing is probably why they spun all the normal Steam features off into their own site to begin with.

I'm against being forced to use the mobile authentacator. Make it optional, not required. Not everyone has a smart phone, me included. Anyone without a smart phone will be locked out of instant trades. I called BS on their reason for forcing the mobile authenticator being to protect users. If your account is compromised, this new system makes it harder to steal your virtual trading cards than it is to delete your entire library of games from your account.

The mobile authenticator seems like it will make your account less secure. If your smart phone is lost or stolen, everything you need to take over a Steam account is now located in one convenient place.

MeanJim on Steam

34. Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 5, 2015, 13:19 jimnms

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 5, 2015, 01:31:
jimnms wrote on Dec 4, 2015, 23:16:
I said it the other day, forcing forcing everyone to use the Steam Mobile Authenticator for trading had nothing to do with protecting users. They want to make it a pain in the ass to trade so more people will use the market instead. If they really wanted to protect users you wouldn't be able instantly delete games from your account easier than it is to trade stupid cards worth a few cents.

You're not forced... You can disable the trade confirmation emails if you're so inclined. They have it enabled by default to protect the ignorant, and the feature in itself was made to benefit those with significant value stored in their inventory. Feel free to throw caution to the wind (and forfeit your right to petition Support about lost items) if all you deal with is small potatoes among friends.

Have you been living under a rock the past few weeks? After December 9th you'll be required to use the Steam Mobile Authenticator or your trades will be held in escrow for 3 days. This is supposedly done to protect users from losing items if their accounts are hacked/stolen, but why aren't they extending this same protection to your games if they really want to protect their users?

MeanJim on Steam

15. Re: Delete Steam Games Dec 4, 2015, 23:16 jimnms

I said it the other day, forcing forcing everyone to use the Steam Mobile Authenticator for trading had nothing to do with protecting users. They want to make it a pain in the ass to trade so more people will use the market instead. If they really wanted to protect users you wouldn't be able instantly delete games from your account easier than it is to trade stupid cards worth a few cents.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 09:32 jimnms

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Dec 2, 2015, 13:11:
I'm going to transition entirely to SSDs as soon as I can. I've had too many HDDs fail for me to even consider them viable for long-term storage.

Are you buying cheap drives or doing something to cause them to fail? It's been years since I had a HDD failure. I have a few older drives of 250-400GB still going. I have a 2TB drive that has nearly 50,000 hours of power on time with 0 errors.

Most SSD's aren't viable for long-term storage just due to the nature of the way they work. Most are tuned for performance and data will degrade over time if they remain un-powered for too long.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Inventory Security
1. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Inventory Security Nov 26, 2015, 00:35 jimnms

From the Steam news thing I saw earlier, I thought this is for all trades. I don't own a smart phone nor do I want one. I already have a phone number and email tied to my account to prevent it from being stolen. You already have to respond to an email to confirm trades, so why this extra step? This seems a bit excessive to force everyone to go through to protect a few people stupid enough not to secure their accounts. At least give an option to opt out and accept responsibility for your own account security.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Fall Sale
17. Re: Steam Fall Sale Nov 26, 2015, 00:10 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Nov 25, 2015, 21:06:
Christ, they just get lazier every year don't they? Now no flash sales or games? They haven't been aggressive on pricing in forever. Other services just need to be slightly more aggressive than Steam on these things to topple them but they can't seem to manage it, even when it's direct from the publisher. How retarded is that? It would be so simple to undercut them and steal all that business, but they're too stupid and greedy not to.

Still, there are some good deals on Uplay, Origin, et al. as well.

Those were reserved for the bigger winter and summer sales this is just the fall sale. I do miss the early sale days when they got a bunch of game devs to put in achievements to their games for the event.

I won't complain if they get rid of flash sales for the winter/summer sale. Everyone learned to wait until the last day to buy games anyway, and I hated it when a game I wanted went up on a flash sale and I missed it.

Since they started doing the special cards for summer and winter sales the past couple of years, I've only bought games during the summer and winter sales. It's like having a little bit of an extra discount after you sell them. Elite Dangerous is kind of tempting for $15.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Nov 24, 2015, 16:54 jimnms

Bethesda is dumbing down shoes now?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
23. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 24, 2015, 15:49 jimnms

saluk wrote on Nov 23, 2015, 23:52:
I guess I'm the only one using tab groups. They are so good though. I'm tired of companies just ditching good ideas that they failed to promote.

Numbers are all that ever matter anymore.

I use them all the time. It's faster and creates less clutter. I have 4 tab groups I keep open all the time. It's faster to keep pages I frequent open in tab groups and switch to them when needed rather than open a bunch of bookmarked pages in the current window every time I want to get to them.

This is a stupid move by Mozilla. This used to be an addon which they took over and incorporated into the browser, now they're killing it off. They keep removing features I like, so I'm beginning to wonder why I stick with their browser.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
11. Re: etc. Nov 18, 2015, 17:52 jimnms

Pigeon wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 14:47:
Wallshadows wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 13:50:
InBlack wrote on Nov 18, 2015, 12:44:
Choice and consequence was a staple of the previous games. No longer it seems?

It's like a JJ Abrams movie where there are several layers of plot or, in this case, dialogue but only one is fully fleshed out to create an often underwhelming payoff. Like the 5 things video above, you play as a very narrow character who can only go as far as being a jerk because he's the heroic dad looking for his son.

In one case, I introduced myself to the Railroad because I wanted to fill out my quest log but, once you meet them, you HAVE to join them regardless of the dialogue options in order to finish that chain. You can say no but it really means 'not now'. Being a member of the Brotherhood and even being acknowledged by a Railroader (?) as a member should have given me an option to tell them to piss off with their 'Free Synths' ways or eat a lead salad.

I mean, I could have just untracked the quest chain at that point but that's the poor man's way of saying no.

That sounds very unfallout like, actually very unlike Bethesda. Were they secretly bought out by EA or Activision? Honestly I usually the follow good guy try to help everyone path, but I like the option to be bad. If I find a faction annoying sometimes its nice to erase their existence from the game.

No, that's very Bethesda like. Did you play Skyrim? Shit like that was everywhere in Skyrim. Not only could you join the mage's college, you could become the arch mage of the college without ever casting a single spell. Once you find one of those gem things or just travel to Riften you get the quest to join the Thieves Guild whether you want to or not. The only guild you have the option of joining or wiping out is the Dark Brotherhood.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
7. Re: etc. Nov 17, 2015, 20:19 jimnms

LC wrote on Nov 17, 2015, 15:25:
Does anyone seriously believe Interplay could have pulled off anything decent by that point? Sure it sounds good on paper but what would have came out would have most likely been a buggy, half-finished and unsupported mess.

According to The Vault:
In 2003, the game was canceled and the Black Isle employees were laid off. At that time the engine was about 95% done. You could create characters, use skills, perform both ranged and melee combat, save/load games and travel across maps. A tutorial level was done that would let the designers do all of the above. All areas but one had been designed. About 75% of the dialogue was done and at least 50% of the maps. BIS already had many of the character models and monster models.

Didn't Obsidian or inXile recently trademark Van Buren or something like that. Maybe we'll get a Fallout spin off.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Game Reviews
42. Re: Game Reviews Nov 11, 2015, 21:42 jimnms

Dacron wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 05:15:
So his reply, based off personal experience playing the game is "fanboy undies all wadded up." but your 2 replies, doing nothing but bitching and moaning off videos you've seen of it without playing it and needing to drop f-bombs (due to emotions?) is being rational?

You're projecting your insecurities on others. Creston isn't the one looking like his knickers are all twisted when he answers like that and your reply is to insult and repeat your complaints with added cussing.

I'm trying to decide if this is worthy of my money, so yes I'm going to look at reviews and game play footage first. All I did was bring up some observations I noticed about the game from watching live streams. If I observed something incorrectly, which I did, then correct me and leave the attitude out of it. My f-bombs were directed at Bethesda because after 13+ years of using this engine they still ship games out with the same damn problems (mouse acceleration, no FOV slider, the console key not working for some people and the 64hz bug. Why does Bethesda get a pass on this? Other developers have patched in FOV sliders after release when people complain about it, but with Bethesda's games everyone just says "edit the ini and quit complaining."

I'll man up and apologize for snapping back. It's just the fanboys are out in droves with this game. Here and other places where I've posted observations or simply asked questions, rather than being corrected or answering my question I get attacked for daring to question the all mighty Bethesda.

Great White Shark wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 07:34:
In other words, you learned nothing of value because you still have zero first hand experience. Ok.

There are small things you can learn about a game by watching but most of the important things you learn only by playing. Someone else playing a game is not the same way that you will play the game. Random idiots on twitch will not seek out methods to fix their problems and instead lead you to false assumptions about the game and its limitations. Be open to learning the obvious lesson here.

I learned enough not to waste $60 on this. One of the "random idiots" on twitch was trying to fix his game. He was one that couldn't get the console key to work to set the FOV and was editing the ini files to set the FOV and trying to fix the mouse acceleration.

What is this obvious lesson I'm supposed to learn from this? Pre-order a game and be thankful for what I get, bugs and all? No, I learn from my mistakes and the mistakes of others. I've been burned by pre-ordering a game or buying games at launch too many times. Now I wait for others to make the mistake and learn whether the game is worthy first.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4
89. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4 Nov 11, 2015, 13:37 jimnms

nin wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 10:01:
jimnms wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 09:53:
You wouldn't be saying that if some company bought the rights to a game franchise you loved and then shit all over it. This game could have stood on its own as a new IP, but buying the name of a loved RPG franchise and slapping its name on your product is going to draw comparisons to the originals.

Times change, and so does what's popular and what people like. Getting pissed about it isn't going to reverse that.

Enjoy the classics and let other folks enjoy what they like.

I know times change and what's popular changes. That's fine, create a new game for that crowd. I like all kinds of games so I might like it too, but don't take an existing game and turn it into something else just because that's what's popular now. I wonder how many people that came into Fallout at #3 had ever played the first two. I bet most of them probably couldn't get through it with the lack of attention span these days. You had to pay attention to the conversations and pick up on clues instead of relying on quest markers to take you exactly where you need to go next.

When I look at FO4 and try to ignore that this is supposed to be Fallout, it actually looks like a decent open world FPS game, well except for the ugly, ridiculously huge weapon models taking up 1/4 of the screen.

BobBob wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 10:50:
Welcome to getting older. Thumbsup

That has nothing to do with it. I have no objection to change, as long as it's for the better. Change, just to change something to say "hey look we changed" is where I have a problem. This would be more like taking your favorite TV show after establishing itself over a few seasons then having it changed it to a completely different genre. What if the 5th season of Breaking Bad was all of the sudden a family friendly sitcom? It might be a good show released under its own name, but it's no longer the same show.

Fallout was never about the combat. Honestly the combat in the originals sucked. Now they've improved the combat, which is great, but they've stripped down the role playing that it's now pretty much just an an open world FPS.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4
84. Re: Steamship Ahoy - Fallout 4 Nov 11, 2015, 09:53 jimnms

Kxmode wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 16:59:
shihonage wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 15:37:
Fallout 1 had compact and effective writing. Effectively designed abstraction . . . [middle gutted] . . . where too many people offloaded crucial parts of their brains onto Google.

TL;DR you clearly have "issues" with Bethesda's Fallout series. Instead of bitching about the "good old days" (it's NEVER coming back) find another game you can enjoy. I hear the crowdfunded Wasteland 2 is quite good; or perhaps Starcraft 2: Legacy of the Void is more your thing.

You wouldn't be saying that if some company bought the rights to a game franchise you loved and then shit all over it. This game could have stood on its own as a new IP, but buying the name of a loved RPG franchise and slapping its name on your product is going to draw comparisons to the originals.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Popular
31. Re: Fallout 4 Popular Nov 11, 2015, 09:45 jimnms

jacobvandy wrote on Nov 11, 2015, 03:23:
What difference does it make to be rid of the extraneous 1-100 values, when all that mattered before was the 4-5 breakpoints we're left with now anyway?

That only applied to skills like lock picking and science for hacking computers. The thing is, it was Bethesda in FO3 that put in the arbitrary break points lock picking and hacking. They could had done a lot of things different than having tiered skill requirements (0, 25, 50, 75 and 100) to pick/hack locks/terminals. The easiest thing they could have done was to have locks/terminals that had requirements in between those levels. That would have made chems that increase PER and INT more useful to boost your skill a few extra points if you come across a lock/computer a few points above your skill level.

Without skills, does this mean every character is proficient at everything from the start? I've looked at the perks from that character planner that was released last week and things like weapon perks are all ripped straight from Skyrim, i.e. each rank increases damage 20% for certain weapon types. What about aim and weapon/armor degradation? I see no perks that increase aim, just improved chances to hit in VATS. Is weapon/armor degradation even still in the game or did they remove that too?

MeanJim on Steam

39. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2015, 20:08 jimnms

Creston wrote on Nov 10, 2015, 09:18:
That's funny, because I've turned off mouse smoothing and switched the FOV through an .ini file, and the console works just fine for me. Then again, I've actually played the game rather than just watch Twitch streams and declare something plain broken off of that.

Wow, I didn't mean to get get your fanboy undies all wadded up. No I don't personally know about the console not working, but more than one person mentioned it not working. I believe Skyrim had this problem if you had a joystick or controller plugged in. Like I said, these are issues that have existed in their last 5 games. All except the 64hz bug can be fixed with ini tweaks, so why the fuck don't they just fix it? Is it really that hard to add an FOV slider FFS.

MeanJim on Steam

37. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2015, 09:10 jimnms

I browsed Twitch TV last night looking at random streams. I avoided the ones at the start of the game and tried to find ones later in the game. It was tough finding someone playing with a keyboard and mouse. I don't know if most of the streams were consoles or people using a controller on PC, but the majority of the streams I found were playing in 3rd person with a controller.

Once I found some PC streamers using KB/M, I still didn't like what I saw. It really just looks like a first person shooter with some dialog here and there, and even that was pretty bad. The shooty bits weren't that great either. The damn weapon models take up 1/4 of the screen and the iron sights are an abomination. The weapons look cartoony compared to FO3 and FNV. From what I could tell, you seem to be limited to one companion, and you're forced to have them at least during the early game. Power armor seems to be required during certain parts/quests, almost like their own version of a turret section, so screw you if you don't like playing power armor characters.

The UI is butt ugly, even for a console. There was some screen, I think it might have been crafting, where the guy had to scroll through lots of stuff. The font is so big and the place where the text was is so small that it only has room for 3 lines to text and he had to scroll through dozens of items.

The game has the same technical issues that have plagued their last 5 games using this engine, like the mouse smoothing and acceleration that can't be turned off, and it seems to still have the 64hz bug (google it). There are mods that fix it in previous games, so WTF Bethesda? There doesn't seem to be an FOV slider as usual and the console is disabled so you can't use the console to set your preferred FOV.

There are some things I like. I like that hacking and lock picking are real time and no longer pause the game. I used a mod for FNV that makes hacking and lock picking real time because it felt stupid in the previous two games when you could run into a room with defenses and time stops while you hack the computer and shut them down.

This is definitely not worth $60. I might pick it up in a few years when it's finished for under $10.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 4 Preloads
7. Re: Fallout 4 Preloads Nov 6, 2015, 21:36 jimnms

Task wrote on Nov 6, 2015, 20:35:
Get 'er while its hot. Good luck folks.

I'll hold the buy button until later (1-2 years until 5 bucks?). The future of fallout. (shows the progression of the series, kind of like 'shock' game maps) Source from NMA.

I had a similar idea after seeing the E3 footage, but I was going to use this screen shot I snapped during the FNV game I was playing at the time.

MeanJim on Steam

2621 Comments. 132 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo