Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2645 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Cutting Cable? Feb 16, 2016, 21:11 jimnms

I'm seriously considering ditching cable TV. The Walking Dead started back Sunday and Better Call Saul Monday. I DVR them, then went to watch it tonight and instead found that AMC is no longer on the channel lineup and has been replaced by another fucking sports channel and it recorded a rodeo instead. I'm actually getting burned out on TWD, but BCS and and a few other shows I was looking forward to watching. I was able to watch TWD on AMC.com, and it looks like I'll be able to watch BCS too.

I took a look at what I record and actually watch, and everything I watch is all on just about half a dozen channels, three of which I can get OTA. After Mythbusters finishes this season, there will be nothing left on Discovery worth watching, so that leaves me with 4 cable channels I watch. Everything I watch on one of them is available free on their site, so that brings it down to three channels, one of which is gone now. The majority of what I watch happens to be on two channels, SyFy and AMC, and now without AMC in the lineup I'm essentially paying for cable for two channels. Some of the SyFy shows go on Amazon or Netflix right after the end of the season, but not all.

My cable TV and internet are bundled, for which I pay about $120/mo. I think the internet part is $49/mo, but will go up without the cable bundle.

Out of curiosity, I took a look at AT&T since they're always trying to get me to switch to them. They have AMC in their $29/mo package, which looks like it also has everything I currently get and a couple of channels I would like (and a shit load that I don't). That $29/mo requires a 2 year contract, and after adding the hidden fees comes out to right about $75/mo. That price is only for the first 12 months. After that it goes up to $113/mo! Fuck that.

The only thing that worries me is that my internet isn't the most reliable. When it goes down, it's nice to have shows recorded on the DVR to pass the time until they get their shit fixed.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 31, 2016, 18:36 jimnms

I use the Scroll Lock key for the Steam Overlay. I got tired of accidentally opening it when playing FPSes where I hold shift to walk/run and use TAB for things. Scroll Lock made since because it wouldn't conflict with anything.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding Roundup
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Roundup Jan 28, 2016, 20:40 jimnms

This might save disk space, but it can use up extra bandwidth if you have capped internet. If you remove those redist files, and a game has an update, it notices that those files are missing and re-downloads them, meaning larger downloads and a longer time to update.

Steam really needs to just have a global redist directory that stores common redistributable files for games to call upon if/when needed.

GOG is about as bad since they started including redists in the installers. There was one game that I have that was only a few MB. There was an update, and all of the sudden the installer grew to 300MB because they included redists in the installer. They could simply include links to them on the download page and let me download them if needed.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access
34. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access Jan 27, 2016, 21:34 jimnms

Ceribaen wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 19:16:
250 is where physical rewards gains beta access.
150 is where the CE physical tier sits.
75 is where digital gains beta access.
20 is the buy in for KS backers who do not currently have beta access.
44 and change is the buy in for EA entrants.
Also, as I recall, it was 20 was the initial tier for a digital copy with no access to betas.

There was a post KS late backer tier at $55 that included beta access. The Torment KS tiers are inconsistent with the WL2 and Bards tale projects, which included beta at the digital and physical collectors editions and up.

It doesn't bother me, if I had access to the beta, like I did with WL2, all I would have done is run through character creation a few times trying different builds. I can understand why some people are upset, but not the extent to which some are upset, throwing tantrums and demanding refunds. With WL2, after 6 months in early access they opened the Beta to all backers, so they'll probably do the same for Torment at some point.

Ceribaen wrote on Jan 27, 2016, 21:30:
Let's not split hairs on 'early access' vs 'beta'...

Early access is the Beta. Backers just got it a week earlier than the public. The Early Access (beta) is not even the full game, it's just the beginning areas which is consists of around the first hour or so of the game.

This comment was edited on Jan 27, 2016, 21:41.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
4. Re: Evening Metaverse Jan 26, 2016, 23:39 jimnms

xXStellarDadXx wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 20:17:
Sad as it is...I still prefer Firefox as my main browser...let thy flame wars begin lolz...

Why is that sad? I still prefer it too, though I don't agree with a lot of the changes they've been making. It's still better than the alternatives.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access
14. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Early Access Jan 26, 2016, 23:34 jimnms

CJ_Parker wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 21:59:
Acleacius wrote on Jan 26, 2016, 21:38:
They could be giving EA differently because they want input from as many people as possible, not just hard core elite? Though, I'm not clear on the extra $20, so I must be missing something.

As of Kickstarter back in 2013:

- Digital tiers of $75 and above have beta access
- Physical tiers of $250 and above have beta access

So far so good. Not really cool for people who pledged $150 for the physical CE but whatever. People had a choice.

Fast forward to 2016 and inXile releases the beta for backers on January 17.

Only a little over a week later, today, they launch the game on early access so any random John Doe can buy the game and start playing right now for $44.99.

The only way for KS backers of physical tiers below $250 (see above) to also start playing/testing right now would be to buy an additional $20 beta (= early access) pass.

This is fucking bullshit.

This page shows what tiers came with beta access. What is kind of shitty is there was a post KS digital deluxe tier for $55 that came with beta access. This project is inconsistent with their other KS projects as well. I backed Wasteland 2 and Bards Tale at the collectors edition level. Both of those had/have beta access, but not Torment. Oh well, I'm not going to throw a temper tantrum like I've seen some people do on their forums and KS page, vowing to sell their copy and never buy anything from them again. I'll just wait for the final release and a few patches, like I did with WL2. I don't know if I would have played it anyway.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Necropolis in March
2. Re: Necropolis in March Jan 21, 2016, 21:33 jimnms

I bet there will be a water chip joke in the game somewhere.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
6. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jan 10, 2016, 21:41 jimnms

Dacron wrote on Jan 10, 2016, 21:10:
Simon Says wrote on Jan 10, 2016, 19:11:
LOL, that extremetech article on Forbes... The webpage doesn't load with either AdBlock+ or Privacy Badger active. XD FU extremetech, one less on my list along with Forbes.

No problem with uBlock Origin

I'm just getting a grey page with no text on Firefox and uBlock, but I found a workaround (see reply below).

Simon Says wrote on Jan 10, 2016, 19:11:
LOL, that extremetech article on Forbes... The webpage doesn't load with either AdBlock+ or Privacy Badger active. XD FU extremetech, one less on my list along with Forbes.

If you're using Firefox, click the Reader View icon in the address bar and you can see the article.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Don't Starve: Shipwrecked Roadmap
3. Re: Don't Starve: Shipwrecked Roadmap Jan 10, 2016, 14:06 jimnms

I was gifted a copy while it was in early access. I played it a few times, but I don't think I've played it since release though. In my experience, starving hasn't been a problem. I think most of my deaths came from going insane or being killed by creatures. I still remember my first game, which I think was also one of my longest. I had quite a good setup going and not too many bad creatures where I started. I was out exploring and found some graves, so I began to dig them up and was finding some cool loot. I then began seeing shit and didn't realize that digging up graves caused you to lose sanity. I couldn't recover from that and was killed by my hallucinations.

I've been meaning to go back and play it again.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Oculus Rift $599
32. Re: Oculus Rift $599 Jan 6, 2016, 14:31 jimnms

Are there some kind of VR standards or are we going to have different games/software supporting different VR headsets?  

MeanJim on Steam

14. At C.D.C., a Debate Behind Recommendations on Cellphone Risk Jan 3, 2016, 22:20 jimnms

Was I the only one that glanced over the title and wondered why ACDC was debating cell phone risks?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Duke & Free Dragonsphere Leaving GOG.com
2. Re: Duke & Free Dragonsphere Leaving GOG.com Dec 28, 2015, 22:23 jimnms

I still have my Duke 3D box and CD, which includes Duke 1 & 2, which are already DRM free, and I backed up the CD image to external HD's years ago. I bought the Duke 3D Atomic Edition from GOG a while back since I never got the expansions when they were originally released.

It was only a buck and change to complete the collection and get Duke 1+2, Manhattan Project and Balls of Steel.

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 26, 2015, 23:20 jimnms

Alamar wrote on Dec 26, 2015, 14:32:
Think I'm gonna take a break from buying a TV this Boxing Day Sale Season... Previous two years in a row was enough for now ; )

Was hoping for some better sales on other stuff, but alas, another letdown...

You buy a TV every year? Inquisitive

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Issues Fixed
18. Re: Steam Issues Fixed Dec 26, 2015, 20:13 jimnms

Valve is the worst company when it comes to communicating with its customers.

I was gone for most of the day yesterday so I had no idea anything had happened. I think the problem was starting because I remember trying to check the store page before I left and it was slow, and when I finally did get it to load I was logged out. I didn't think anything was wrong because ever since enabling the Steam Mobile Auth crap, it makes me re-log in every other day on my browser, so I did try to log and it failed. I didn't bother with it and left to go do family stuff.

I didn't know what had happened until today when the community sites went down and I saw some random comment on a random forum linking to a Reddit post saying Steam had been hacked.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
6. Re: On Sale Dec 23, 2015, 02:06 jimnms

Dev wrote on Dec 23, 2015, 00:33:
If that's the only reason, why not adjust the split with the slider so it goes entirely to charity? Or humble store?

Humble Bundle is the only one that allows that. I do adjust the slider to 0% for games I own or don't want, but I still feel shitty giving 0% to the games I don't want because I'm still getting them. I still skip the bundle if it's one game I want and it's in the BTA or a fixed price tier. I'll just wait and pick it up on sale by itself. I always wonder though, when they have hidden games, how does it distribute the money once those are revealed since I've already adjusted the slider.

What caused me to think before buying bundles was when I bought a bundle of 12 games, which contained one game I wanted and two others that looked interesting. It wasn't a name your price kind of deal, it was a fixed price of $3. As I was playing the game I wanted, which I really liked, it hit me that after they split the profits between the other games, the bundle host, tax and whatever, they probably only got 10-20 cents per sale from that bundle. I'd rather have had my $3 all go to that one good game than split with the other junk I haven't touched. I later bought that game again from GOG just to support the dev.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
4. Re: On Sale Dec 22, 2015, 22:38 jimnms

There's only one game in that bundle that I want, but I have a feeling one or more will be added in the BTA tier later. I stopped buying bundles unless it contains a majority of games I want because I don't want to buy a bundle for one or two games and have the developer(s) of the good game(s) split the money with the junk it got bundled by. In this case, it's all Square Enix, so I guess it doesn't matter.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Dec 22, 2015, 03:17 jimnms

Yawho?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
8. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 16, 2015, 19:03 jimnms

I've been thinking of picking up a cheap tablet for a while now and leaning toward an Amazon tablet since I have Amazon Prime. I had a good high end tablet (at the time I bought it) until a year or so ago. After a few months the novelty wore off and I hardly used it, then I sort of forgot about it, and then I accidentally broke it.

I can't decide on getting something super cheap like this $50 tablet or something a little higher up in the $100-150 range. Although if I had seen these on sale for $35, I probably would have gotten one.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Dec 12, 2015, 03:17 jimnms

I just tried a first person game with the Steam Controller today. I tried it on Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist, and it was surprisingly easy to get used to. I did the trick with the gyro for smoother movement control like they showed in one of the videos. It's still not as good as a keyboard and mouse, but it's way better than a controller. I think it will work fine for single player FPS games. I might try playing Fallout New Vegas with it, which I had just started a new game right before this pain in my arm started.

I didn't have high expectations for the Steam Controller in first person games because I tried playing The Stanley Parable with the XB360 controller a while ago to see how well I could adjust to using it in first person, and I hated it. Maybe I'm weird, but I couldn't get used to the layout of the controls. I don't know if many games let you rebind controls when using a controller, especially the analog stick axes, but The Stanley Parable doesn't let you change anything. It uses the left stick to move forward/backward and strafe left/right and the right stick to look up/down/left/right. I naturally want to move forward/backward and turn left right with my left thumb and look up/down and strafe left/right with my right thumb. I was having to constantly concentrate to move around and look where I was going. I kept playing, and just as I would start getting used to it and relax, I would revert back to wanting to do it the other way.

The Steam Controller's settings I used were similar to the XB360 controller with the analog stick moving forward/backward and strafing left/right and the right trackpad to look around. It took me a few minutes to dial in the sensitivity so I could do quick movement with the trackpad and fine movement with the gyro, but after that I didn't have a problem adjusting to it at all, it just felt right.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Valve on Steam Trade Changes
15. Re: Valve on Steam Trade Changes Dec 11, 2015, 20:25 jimnms

Warning: if you have a short attention span just skip down to the DL;DR.

Sepharo wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 01:52:
You still had to enter your Steam password, right?
That's two-factor authentication.

The last one you described would be three factor authentication. I've never heard of it doing both a text message and email like that? Are you sure you're not confusing two different two-factor authentication methods?

This past weekend I tried to log in to my account on my old gaming system that my niece uses. She has her own Steam account, and I had logged in with my account to setup family sharing a long time ago when I set it up for her. I haven't used that system for my personal account since then, so I guess authorizations expire if you don't log in after some time. When I started up Steam it only asked me for the mobile auth code. I didn't have to enter my password because it was already stored, so in this instance it was only a single factor authentication.

My point is still that with the mobile auth it took less steps than before. I had to authorized a "new device" last summer when the Steam monster summer game crashed Firefox. When I restarted and logged back into Steam it didn't recognize my browser and made me reauthorize it. I had to enter the code sent by SMS and I got an email too. I either had to click the link there to confirm the authorization or it was informing me that a new device had been associated with my account and if I didn't do it to click the link and cancel it. I didn't get any such email last weekend.

Sepharo wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 01:52:
Edit: Besides you're using some winforms app someone whipped up with a built in update feature and you're entering your Steam PW there... as you say, "You can't cure stupidity"

It's a modification to the open source code of WinAuth, which has been around for 5 years, to add the trade confirmations to it. I'm willing to bet WinAuth will also add this feature soon since it already has support for Steam's Mobile Authentication.

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 02:05:
You keep saying this, but it's simply not true. Emulating it on your PC is less secure compared to having it on an actual mobile device, but a code that expires after about 10 seconds is way more secure than SMS and/or email.

I said it seems less secure, and you just backed up my point while calling it untrue at the same time. Anyone that doesn't own a smart phone and people that own a non Android or iOS smartphones are now less secure if they want to continue trading unrestricted because the only alternative is to use an emulator on your desktop. There's no reason why the SMS codes and email links can't expire too.

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 02:05:
The point of binding an authenticator to your account is that it can't simply be removed or changed like those other things can. You either have to have an authenticator code (which would require physical possession of the mobile device) or the special recovery code that is shown to you one time only for 30 seconds, which you should write down and keep in a safe non-digital place. Otherwise you go into support to reset it and your account is locked out of trading and all that for a week anyway.

Where your primary email is used to manage your password and SMS functions, the authenticator app requires access to a specific piece of hardware for which its codes are uniquely generated. They can't get that via phishing or trojan.

The deauth code is just another piece of information that a scammer/phisher needs to con someone out of to gain access to their account. Nothing is perfect and secure. In a few months time someone will find a vulnerability.

descender wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 10:36:
Being in physical possession of the desktop where your authenticator is installed is no different than physically possessing your phone. I think the problem here is you don't know what multi-factor authentication is. The process you describe is actually more than "2 factors" because you likely need your desktop account password or phone lock code to get into that device in addition to physically possessing it.

Yes, I do know what multi-factor authorization is. If someone gets physical access to your computer or phone, unless the device's storage is encrypted, a desktop password or phone lock is easily bypassed. The secret key that generates the codes can be read off the device and used to take over an account. None of that really matters because I doubt someone is going to hunt you down and steal your phone/computer just to get access to your Steam account.

descender wrote on Dec 11, 2015, 10:36:
The authenticator isn't mandatory, as you said if you don't use it they simply put your trades on a 3 day hold. Who cares if it takes 3 days? Is this trade a matter of life and death? That's the inconvenience you have to deal with because you choose not to properly secure your account. A speck of dust playing the saddest song on the tiniest violin in the world.

I don't have a problem with waiting 3 days, but some people do. This has created two groups, those that can trade instantly and those that are stuck with escrow. I'm already seeing people in trade forums saying they won't trade with you if your account uses escrow. This is an unnecessary inconvenience imposed by Valve. I'm not choosing to properly secure my account, I don't own an Android or iOS device. If I had one I would use the mobile auth app. If Valve pushed this out and only supported Windows phones I'm sure we'd be seeing a lot more people pissed off.

TL;DR:

I don't have a problem with the mobile auth app. Many people don't own a smart phone and not every smart phone runs Android or iOS. My problem is Valve is basically punishing you if you can't secure your account with a supported device. This has now split people into two groups, those that can trade instantly and those stuck with escrow. Some people that can trade instantly are choosing not to trade with those that can't. Valve could let people opt out of escrow and make it clear that not using it will disqualify you from having stolen items recovered.

MeanJim on Steam

2645 Comments. 133 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo