Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
United Kingdom 06/02

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2752 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition
34. Re: Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition Oct 11, 2016, 16:04 MeanJim

jomisab wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 09:07:
jdreyer wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 03:43:
jimnms wrote on Oct 11, 2016, 00:53:
I wasn't too crazy about Skyrim, even though Steam says I put almost 600 hours in it.

There's a contradiction if I ever saw one. Reminds me of the time someone gave some game a thumbs down on Steam after spending 500 hours in game.

I'm guessing anyone with that many hours is heavily into modding. At least that's the case for me. Testing and marveling at mods probably consumes most of that "in-game" time.

Finally, someone that can read more than two sentences. I don't know how much of that time was playing the actual game, but a lot of it was testing and trying out mods and even creating my own. That also makes me wonder if they've created a proper PC interface for the game or are modders going to have to fix it again. Hell, I've heard console gamers say that the interface is shit.

Steam shows I have 800 hours in New Vegas, and I've only played through it once. I started a new game last year and probably spent over 100 hours before I even started just trying out mods to find which ones I wanted to use in the new game. I couldn't find a mod to do something I wanted, so I had to create it myself and play test it. I never actually finished that game, shortly after starting I hurt my wrist and it was too painful to use the mouse for several months. I've been meaning to get back to it. It's always the next game on my list, but then something comes along and I tell myself I'll get to it after that.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition
16. Re: Gone Gold - Skyrim Special Edition Oct 11, 2016, 00:53 MeanJim

What is different in the special edition? I wasn't too crazy about Skyrim, even though Steam says I put almost 600 hours in it. I never finished the main story, and most of those hours were probably playing with mods and shit. It wasn't very well written to even give me a reason to want to start the main quest, and it was possible to not even get the quest that starts the main quest line (it might have been a bug that has since been fixed).

From what I remember, after escaping the dragon attack at the start, the guy you escape with tells you to split up, so I went off on my own way. I essentially was just in a big sandbox exploring dungeons and ruins for loot with no real reason other than it was there. A friend of mine was playing it at the same time one night and messaged me on Steam about an awesome dragon battle he had, and I hadn't seen a single dragon yet after about 20ish hours. Apparently dragons don't show up until you do the first part of the main quest, which you don't even get unless you follow the guy that tells you to split up. If you follow him to his house, he tells you to go see some yarl, and that starts the main quest line where you go off to defend some place from a dragon. After that dragons appear in specific places and randomly spawn and you're given the next part of the main quest, to go talk to some old guys on top of a mountain. I was able to start the main quest line by speaking to the yarl.

I did a few parts of the main quest and lost interest. It was typical Bethesda quest writing, go here do this, come back for the next part. No options, no choices. Maybe it opens up later, but I found some of the side quests and uncovering the story behind some hidden things more interesting. I eventually lost interest in the game and stopped playing. I would come back to it every now and then, install some mods, play around then quit.

I did want to come back and finish it, just to get it over with, so a few times I did pick back up and play seriously. I'd eventually lose interest and go play something else.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. GeForce GTX 970 Class Action Settlement Oct 9, 2016, 15:47 MeanJim

I got an email yesterday about the GeForce GTX 970 Class Action Settlement. I almost deleted it thinking it was spam. I'm surprised it didn't get auto flagged as spam since the title, sender and from email all look fishy, but it's the real deal.

I don't know if I'm going to file a claim. It's $30 in my pocket, but it doesn't feel right since I bought a 970 already knowing about the memory deal. I only skimmed the site to see if I could find out what happens to unclaimed funds from the settlement, but didn't see it. If unclaimed funds are just going to go to lawyers, I'll take my $30. If it goes back to Nvidia or a charity, I may just opt out.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 9, 2016, 15:26 MeanJim

I think I've been around here for about 18-19 years, but I never registered until 2003 when I finally got broadband (512Kbps cable). A friend of mine told me about this site. Blues, Voodoo Extreme, and a third site that I can't think of and has since folded, used to be my daily sites. I had to quit going to Voodoo Extreme because it got so bloated it would take 10 minutes to load the front page on 28.8k dial-up. It's now the only gaming/tech news site I visit daily.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Mafia III Patched
1. Re: Mafia III Patched Oct 9, 2016, 15:10 MeanJim

Pathetic. This is all shit that should have been there at release, not in the first patch. I wonder if their Steam review rating will recover.

I just realized I haven't read any reviews of the actual game to see if it's any good.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto Online Bikers Launch
5. Re: Grand Theft Auto Online Bikers Launch Oct 5, 2016, 18:48 MeanJim

The Half Elf wrote on Oct 5, 2016, 03:42:
Is there anyone left from Blues that's playing this on the PC?

GTA is my go-to place when I need to vent some steam. I played some single player the past few weeks and jumped online a few times for some races.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > TwitchPrime for Amazon Prime Members
8. Re: TwitchPrime for Amazon Prime Members Oct 2, 2016, 13:14 MeanJim

RTFA?
Twitch Prime is available starting today to Prime members in the US, UK, Canada, Germany, France, Italy and Spain.

MeanJim on Steam

12. Windows 10 Sep 30, 2016, 20:54 MeanJim

Windows 10's updating and rebooting without asking is really pissing me off. Last night Windows 10 downloaded updates and rebooted on me while I was in the middle of using the system. I have the active hours set to 10am-10pm, and it updated and rebooted at 10:30pm, without warning, even though I was sitting there using the computer at the time. I believe this is the 3rd time it has done this. The first time it did it, it actually woke the computer up from sleep to reboot it in the middle of the night. I had all kinds of shit open, which is why I put it in sleep mode, so I could continue the next day. I woke to find my computer running and all of my shit closed down. The other time was similar to last night. I was using the computer after the "active hours," left to go to the kitchen or take a piss or something, and come back to find my computer rebooted and installing updates.

I've tried all of the solutions I can find (except two, which I'll get to in a minute), but it seems MS keeps "fixing" them. Why do they insist on not letting people have control over when their machines download, install updates and reboot?

Two fixes I haven't tried have some side effects I don't like. One is to disable the Windows Update service completely, but I've read that somehow it magically re-enables anyway. The other fix is to edit the registry and make Windows think your ethernet connection is metered. This supposedly will keep Windows from automatically downloading updates, but this also includes definition updates to Windows Defender. If I did that, I'd have to manually check for those to keep my system safe(ish), and I won't know if that works until the next round of updates for Windows 10.

I had an idea this afternoon that I'm going to try instead. Windows triggers the reboot by creating a scheduled task after downloading updates. Disabling or deleting the task doesn't stop it like some articles claim because Windows re-creates this task every time it downloads updates. My idea is to create a new task to disable the reboot task and make it run every hour or so. I won't know if it works until the next time Windows updates though, but it seems like it should do the trick.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
15. Re: Morning Safety Dance Sep 27, 2016, 22:28 MeanJim

I was thinking if they really wanted to keep us safe they'd let us uninstall it and fucking Flash player.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Sep 22, 2016, 23:57 MeanJim

Retired wrote on Sep 22, 2016, 19:53:
Wow. IF you are a fan of Threewave CTF that video in the article is a great watch and listen. Has a cool history of the project and dude in the middle of it.

Holy crap I still recognize those maps. We used to have weekly LAN parties back then and played the shit out of Threewave CTF and later Thunder Walker.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Tyranny Video Diary
12. Re: Tyranny Video Diary Sep 22, 2016, 23:41 MeanJim

I've been very interested in this since it was announced. The funny thing is, if they went to Kickstarter for this, I probably would have thrown money at my screen, but considering my fucking backlog (and the amount of patches to get POE finished), this will have to wait for a sale. Also with it being a Paradox title, who loves their DLC, is another reason to wait.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > BioShock Remastered Fixes
8. Re: BioShock Remastered Fixes Sep 16, 2016, 22:26 MeanJim

Kosumo wrote on Sep 16, 2016, 18:28:
Having never played very far into Bioshock, this is a good time for me to play it from start to finish. (maybe once the bugs have been looked at)

People recommend Bioshock? (I played and enjoyed Infinate)

I never finished the original Bioshock. I got far enough for the big reveal of the shocking secret, but I had already figured it out long before then. I think I was close to the end, but I just lost interest in continuing.

I got Bioshock Infinite for free (or it might have been $1) from one of those GMG/Playfire promotions. I actually finished it, and like the first one, it was totally predictable. I had already figured out what was going on about half way through, so it was no surprise when I got to the end.

I went ahead and bought Bioshock 2 and its DLC during the summer sale after they announced the free upgrade, so I'll give them a try again after they've had time to fix it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
15. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 15, 2016, 04:42 MeanJim

Frijoles wrote on Sep 14, 2016, 11:57:
In my case, exclusives I'll never play. My PS4 (and 3) are expensive Blu-Ray players. But by god, some day I will finish The Last of Us.

Just watch it on YouTube, it's basically just a semi-interactive movie. I watched a little bit of it to see what the hype was about, and I didn't see much game going on. There was a little bit of simplistic platforming and some shooting. You could see the shooty parts coming when the level opened up with conveniently placed cover blocks. It also looked like if a player died during one of these and reloaded from the auto save, the game toned it down to make it easier to get through.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Review Changes to Fight Fraud
10. Re: Steam Review Changes to Fight Fraud Sep 13, 2016, 10:53 MeanJim

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 13, 2016, 10:12:
That's some fucking bullshit on the reviews.

That's pretty much exactly what I said when I saw that. The only time I buy directly from Steam anymore is during their sales. I don't write many reviews, but I've been thinking about going through and writing reviews for the games I enjoy, but fuck it, there's no point now if it isn't going to count for anything. Of the reviews I have written, only one I actually bought from Steam, the rest were keys.

They can do better than this. They should weigh reviews with more play time higher than those with the minimum of 0.2 hours, or not even count the review in the overall score if the reviewer played it less than 2 hours.

Hell GOG doesn't even require you to have bought the game from them to write a review.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
3. Apple’s iPhone 7 announcement- what to expect. Sep 2, 2016, 18:27 MeanJim

A new, slightly updated iPhone 7 in a few months that will make you regret buying it.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 31, 2016, 17:15 MeanJim

I didn't get an email, and I'm pretty sure I've had a Dropbox account since before that date. I think I might have changed it already since the breach when I started updating to 16+ character passwords, but I changed it again anyway.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched
37. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched Aug 24, 2016, 14:12 MeanJim

I haven't even played it yet and I'm somewhat regretting buying it. I knew they were going to release story DLC later, and that's usually a "buy it when complete" purchase for me. I only bought it because I built a new PC and wanted a new game to play on it, and I was able to pre-order it for $40. I can't refund it since I didn't buy it from Steam.  

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2016, 14:03 MeanJim

ItBurn wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 13:36:
Hey Blue. There's this new dinosaur ad in the comments and it's constantly crashing. It's a flash crash. It freezes my whole browser. It keeps crashing even if I stop the flash process.

You shouldn't have flash enabled all the time. There are very few sites where flash is needed, so I it set to ask to activate (Firefox).

MeanJim on Steam

5. Windows 10 Annoyances Aug 24, 2016, 13:58 MeanJim

Just when I thought I had sorted out all of Win10's annoyances that I could fix, it sprung a new one on me last night. I always put my system to sleep and reboot it every couple of weeks. I put the system to sleep, crawl into bed, turn off the light and just as I get comfortable I hear the system turn on. It was doing this right after I installed Win10 and it was the network adapter waking it, so disabled it from being able to wake the system. I got up, checked to see what woke it and it didn't show anything. I go to the network adapter's advanced settings and disable the WOL setting in the driver, put it back to sleep and go to bed.

This morning I wake up to find my system on again, and it has also rebooted, closing down everything I had open. Furious2 I looked in the event viewer and it woke up at 3:45am, then Windows update installed updates and rebooted just after 5am.

I did some searching to find out how to stop this, and found this. Running that powershell command in Step 3 to list all tasks allowed to wake the system showed that the UpdateOrchestrator task was the only task allowed to wake the system that was enabled. I'm still not sure it caused it since the system woke up at 3:45am and that task is scheduled for 5:12am.

I did Step 2 and disabled the task from waking the system and set the permissions on it. Everything else except Step 1 I had already done. I don't want to completely disable wake timers because I do occasionally use task scheduler to wake my system to do something while I'm away.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews Aug 22, 2016, 17:09 MeanJim

I got my key today from Games Republic, and it's pre-loading now.  

MeanJim on Steam

2752 Comments. 138 pages. Viewing page 6.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo