Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage https://steamcommunity.com/id/meanjim
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 3163 (Veteran)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks

19. Re: Epic Sues Another Tester Over Fortnite Leaks Nov 13, 2019, 18:04 MeanJim

Just say you're sueing them for breaking the NDA. All the other BS excuses make Epic look like the assholes they are.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance

18. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 12, 2019, 19:08 MeanJim

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 16:50:
You can schedule it for later, yes, but you cannot stop it completely within the OS itself. I know, we've tried. Either via GPO (which, conveniently, Win10 will flatout ignore if it feels like it even if said GPO is enforced) or straight up registry tampering. However, whether I can or cannot is irrelevant to the point that an OS should under no circumstances dictate to me when I do, or do not, choose to reboot it. Microsoft does not know better than I do about configuring and running my own machine.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I wish I could be notified when updates are available and let me decide when/if to install them. I'm just pointing out that it has changed and no longer has the surprise reboots (finally after how many years?). You can delay updates for 90(?) days now right from the Windows Update control panel. I'll find out Saturday, as I modified the task that checks for updates from the default of every 22 hours to every Saturday so I'm not bothered with it.

True, and a fair point. I should have been more clear and specific. Linux has a monolithic kernel. Windows does not have a hybrid kernel, no matter what they claim. That's just marketing bullshit. They can't modularize their kernel to save their own asses.

When it comes to driver updates, I rarely run into one these days that requires a reboot, though I do it anyway since I install any driver updates the same day I let Windows update through, since I'm rebooting anyway. Most other software updates just tell you to reboot to cover their ass. I've ignored those when updating other software and it works fine.

I am going to guess that laptop has either a Broadcom or Atheros chipset in it for wifi. Maybe Realtek. While Mint does have driver manager, I wouldn't call it great. I'd suggest creating a Manjaro live USB and booting it with the nonfree selection and see if your wireless troubles remain. If they do, I'd be happy to help you troubleshoot it. My go to distro recommends these days are Manjaro for casual users and Fedora for professional users. Though if you really want to stay in that Ubuntu/Debian flavor, you can try straight Ubuntu or PopOS!, which is a more modern derivative of Ubuntu.

Those are pretty much the three biggest manufacturers of WiFi chips. It's not entirely Linux's fault that those companies don't offer native driver support and rely on volunteers to make drivers for them. But this is a case where it works fine in Windows and not in Linux (at least it was working fine in Linux, then it wasn't).

I really don't want to spend the time converting to a new distro. I used to be a RedHat/Fedora user, but grew to prefer Debian over time. If I were to install a new distro on it, I think I'd just go with a plain old Debian install with MATE desktop. Ubuntu is worse than Microsoft when it comes to collecting telemetry data from users, and I can't be 100% sure if it's stripped from the many Ubuntu based distros.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Obsidian: Pillars of Eternity III Uncertain, Would Require Changes

22. Re: Obsidian: Pillars of Eternity III Uncertain, Would Require Changes Nov 12, 2019, 18:25 MeanJim

Maybe instead of looking at what people are complaining about, they should look at what people liked and go on that. I backed both on KS, but I didn't even start PoE1 until recently. I played it a bit before, just going through character creation and up to arriving at the first town to try out different character builds. I wanted to finish other games in line before it, and some others cut in line along the way, so it took me longer than expected, which is fine because it gave them time to patch it and balance it.

I'm enjoying the first one. It's not perfect, but it's enjoyable, especially given the budget they had to work with. I've taken breaks along the way, as I do with any other long RPG, some planned, others unplanned. I planned to take a break during October because I like to play spooky games during that time. Then Disco Elysium happened. All through October I was kind of looking forward to getting back to Pillars, but I couldn't resist getting Disco Elysium after reading reviews for it.

When I get done with DE and finish PoE, I plan to start PoE2 right after. I'm definitely looking forward to its turn-based combat. I've never liked RTwP, and don't get why it is/was so popular for isometric RPGs. Unless you're playing on easy mode and let the combat play out on its own, it's such a pain to manage.

I think it would be a shame if they didn't do another game now that they've refined the engine to have both combat modes to please both crowds, and since they have MS's money to finance it (and as long as it still gets a GOG release). It would be nice if they went back and added it to the first game. Maybe if they make a 3rd, they could import the first two into it, touch them up a bit and release it as one big trilogy that you can play from start to finish with the same character, or pick which game to play.

MeanJim on Steam

13. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 12, 2019, 16:27 MeanJim

Burrito of Peace wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 14:51:
Windows on the other hand..."Reboot now or we will reboot for you and fuck your workflow.

They finally fixed that reboot shit. By default it still reboots on its own outside of the set active hours, but you can now change that. I get a prompt after it downloads updates to schedule a reboot instead, and now you can tell it to fuck off and reboot whenever.

Also, because we're using an archaic monolithic kernel, we can't do a single fucking thing in real time. Fuck you, peasant."

Linux uses a monolithic kernel. Windows NT uses a hybrid kernel.

Also, I do not have time to tinker with my OS. I need to get out of my way, stay out of my way, and just let me get things done. I know Linux can do that and does do that. Outside of major kernel updates, I don't need to reboot my machine for weeks at a time. When I leave for the night and come back, it is exactly in the state I left it in. That's just one of many examples I have personally encountered of why Linux is a better OS than Windows.

I wish I had your luck with Linux. I only reboot my Windows machines once a month, usually the Saturday after patch Tuesday. That notebook I mentioned earlier. It was given to me by a family member after they got a new one. They had read about people stealing data from old computers, so they gave it to me to wipe the drive and told me to do whatever I wanted with it after that. It had Windows Vista on it, and a shit ton of bloatware, but still it booted faster into that mess than it does to Linux. I was going to throw Linux on it and give it away, but after the pain of get Linux working on it, I figured it would be more trouble than it was worth to whoever got it. I could have re-installed Windows Vista since it actually worked, but I wouldn't give that to my worst enemy.

I decided to keep it and use it. A little over a year ago, after an update, it just refuses to work with WiFi. It says it's connected, but no traffic goes in or out. It took me days of searching forums and shit to finally get it working again. For some stupid reason, I can't use network manager to connect to a WiFi network by name. If I do, it connects, but doesn't do shit. I have to get the MAC address of the router and manually create a network for it in order for it to work. I don't know what changed or why, but still to this day it doesn't work.

MeanJim on Steam

10. Re: Evening Safety Dance Nov 12, 2019, 13:31 MeanJim

Beamer wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 12:17:
I still feel like you need to be a masochist to use Linux. Granted, I haven't used it since the mid-00s, but I just want an OS that works without me needing to do a damn thing. Despite all of the articles here that paint Windows 10 out to be some dire failure, it really just works, and just works well.

I know, you guys love singing the Gospel of Linus, but Linux isn't right for a lot of users. You guys like tinkering with your OS. It's the last thing I ever want to do again.

That's kind of my experience as well. I've been using Linux since around 1995. At first, just as a curiosity (actually FreeBSD was my first *nix), then a hobby, then as part of my job.

I have Linux (Mint 18) on my notebook because I don't game on it and didn't want to spend the money on a Windows license for it. In comparison to Windows, Linux is such a pain in the ass. I spend more time tinkering with the OS and fixing shit that breaks with updates than I do with Windows 10, and I use that system a fraction of the time I do my desktop with Win10.

I have an elderly neighbor that got a notebook (with Win10) and internet a while back. She called me when she got it, and I went over and showed her how to use the notebook and the internet. She has called me a few more times when she forgot how to do something or to ask me how to do something and I was easily able to walk her through it because I could follow along on my system and see what she was seeing and talk her through what to do. Each Linux distro is different, with so many desktop environments, I'd rather kill myself than have to help someone over the phone with a Linux problem.

I don't hate Linux, I love it actually, but it's definitely not for everyone.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Kerbal Space Program 2 Delayed

5. Re: Kerbal Space Program 2 Delayed Nov 8, 2019, 16:27 MeanJim

Take all the time you need. They still haven't finished KSP1 (neither have I). They started updating older parts to be of the same quality as the DLC parts a while back. They haven't finished that and started updating planet textures and shaders.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > American Truck Simulator - Utah Rolls Out with Free Weekend

6. Re: American Truck Simulator - Utah Rolls Out with Free Weekend Nov 8, 2019, 16:05 MeanJim

eRe4s3r wrote on Nov 7, 2019, 20:25:
Still no weather events and no roadside events.... I love these kind of games, but I just want more depth in the simulation. Beyond the derpy AI cars.

What are you talking about exactly? There are random roadside events, like crashes, traffic stops, construction, lane closures, and the road closures that make you find a detour.

Weather events? There's a slider to adjust the chance of bad weather. It's only rain and thunderstorms though. If you're talking about seasons, then yeah, I agree. But how would it be done? Would the seasons go on in-game time or based on real world seasons?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue

40. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 6, 2019, 15:37 MeanJim

SirKnight wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 11:42:
Not a huge fan of the new look TBH. At first I thought there was something wrong with the web server. The categories on the left are too wide so there's all this extra space and the text for the news stories is too big. It makes the site have a zoomed-in look where I can't see as much on screen so I have to scroll a lot more.

Now I'm not saying it's terrible though. It's still got that classic 90s look to it which I like. What I do find terrible is most modern web page design so this site sticking with a more old-school internet look is awesome to me.

But maybe things look too big and zoomed in b/c I'm still at 1080p. I would suspect that 1440p or 4K users probably see things differently, depending on their scaling settings.

I'm on a 27" 1440p and the fonts are just too big on desktop, and the vertical spacing on the left side menu seems off. If I shrink the font down a little with CTRL + mouse wheel the main page looks better, but then it's too small in other places.

There' a slight problem on the forums too. The text box where you compose messages is now only resizable vertically. The font in the text box seems bigger too. The text box was always too small, but it wasn't a problem since you could resize it, but now that I can't make it wider, it's so cramped composing messages.

I'm using Firefox 70 on Win10 1903.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 5, 2019, 23:24 MeanJim

You can disable wake timers altogether so that nothing wakes your PC
Unless this has changed with the past two major updates, the Update task ignores wake timer settings and does it anyway. Windows this my desktop is a laptop because I have UPS. I put my system to sleep when I'm home and not using it. It took many months of updates to get it to stop waking my system up, applying updates and rebooting it. Disabling wake timers was the first step, which didn't work. In the end, the only thing that worked was taking ownership of the task(s), disabling them and making them read only so that Windows Update doesn't re-enable them the next update cycle.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 Released for PC

40. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 Released for PC Nov 5, 2019, 18:08 MeanJim

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 14:59:
jacobvandy wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 14:35:
Haha, yeah, major publishers always mention a grey market key site or two alongside the rest of their distributors in press releases. You know, just to make it fair...

GMG is not grey market.
But they are getting discounted keys and selling those keys is all they are doing- I'm sure some keys are loss leaders too. You can't say GMG has it figured out when Steam, EGS, GoG, etc have completely different businesses.

GMG is not grey market. They are an official key reseller. It's on their website somewhere as to how they work. The publishers get paid the same whether you buy it from GMG or directly from Steam. The discount they provide to customers comes directly from their cut.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Pro Fortnite Player Banned

36. Re: Pro Fortnite Player Banned Nov 5, 2019, 15:33 MeanJim

Kxmode wrote on Nov 5, 2019, 13:52:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 15:27:
Surprised that no has protested that Epic is violating his "First Amendment rights."

I'm pretty sure most know cheating isn't a first amendment right. People aren't that stupid.

Never underestimate stupid people.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

2. Re: Morning Safety Dance Nov 4, 2019, 22:39 MeanJim

ISPs lied? I don't believe it. Shifty  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Pro Fortnite Player Banned

33. Re: Pro Fortnite Player Banned Nov 4, 2019, 22:26 MeanJim

phinn wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 16:01:
You're talking about a pretty rigorously invasive tool to do that "lockdown" with. I mean, that's going to be more invasive than any of the DRMs we've seen in the past.

Yes I absolutely am talking something invasive. I'm talking something system-wide that puts Win10 into lock-down to play online games so that it's fair. Cheating is ruining the industry right now every competitive game people are flying around aimbotting and seeing through walls in every game. Your almost forced to console at this point. I'm talking about something as invasive a possible that suspends all other running tasks during "game mode" and then releases it after. I would love something like that at this point.

Why should an operating system give a shit about about cheating in games? The game developers need to make it so you can't cheat in games, not the operating system.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers

7. Re: New NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Nov 4, 2019, 21:43 MeanJim

phinn wrote on Nov 4, 2019, 16:10:
Make sure you set Nvidia Ultra Low Latency to "on" and the monitor to 144Hz in NVCP also.

I guess you missed this a few weeks ago: 40% Less Input Lag Without AMD Anti-Lag or NVidia Ultra-Low Latency

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue

11. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2019, 13:26 MeanJim

RedEye9 wrote on Nov 2, 2019, 13:08:
jdreyer wrote on Nov 2, 2019, 12:45:
Lots of Job Hunting, but No Job, Despite Low Unemployment.

What are people complaining about? Lots of jobs at Uber.

/S

Also, NYT has caught on to reading in private mode. I cut the page load halfway through to avoid getting blocked.
You sneaky devil. Worked like a champ.

Weird. I just tried the page in private mode and it worked. I've been blocked before on their site even when not in private mod telling me to disable private browsing.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > New Steam Library Launches

45. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 19:48 MeanJim

saluk wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 16:22:
phinn wrote on Oct 31, 2019, 16:13:
Really don't understand why everyone throws a fit anytime something new comes out. Steam was and still is in need of a modern UI. This is a nice step forward, no complaints.

Modern UI design is terrible. It intentionally sacrifices usability, efficiency, and discoverability to optimize for engagement. A decade of making computing technology worse so that consumers look at the screen longer and click on more ads.

Pretty much what he said. I use Steam to launch games. That's it. The new UI has made it worse to do that one thing, all just to throw crap in my face that I don't want or need to see. Any other Steam related things like browsing/buying games, I do in my web browser anyway. The new UI presents less information and yet somehow takes up more room. I'm not against a new UI if it's better than what it's replacing. This new UI, while it has a few long request features, overall it is not better and has taken options away from those of us that prefer a minimal UI (small mode) and being able switch the library view to a list in full mode instead of giant boxes/icons.

The GOG Galaxy beta 2.0 client is an improvement over the old client. It kept the features of the old client that people like, big box icons like a shelf, but added the ability to use a minimal list view. Steam has done the opposite, removed the minimal list modes and replaced it with only the large boxy icon views.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > New Steam Library Launches

5. Re: New Steam Library Launches Oct 31, 2019, 03:24 MeanJim

It was definitely released from beta way too early. I had hoped they would have listened to feedback and added the list option and small mode back, as those were the most requested features people missed, and now the forums are flooded with people wanting them back. I've been in the beta and it changed very little due to feedback. People complained about the giant home and collection buttons, so they removed them. Then people complained about them removing the home and collection buttons, so they added them back. That's all I remember changing since this went into open beta, and now it's out of beta.

It's definitely more of a pain in the ass to manage my 800 game library with this new, giant, clunky, phone/tablet looking UI. I feel sorry for Prez and his 12,000 game library.

Someone in the forums discovered that small mode is still in the client, there just isn't a menu option to get to it anymore. You can create a shortcut to steam://open/minigameslist and it will switch Steam to small mode... for now. That's what I always used to find and launch installed games, but when looking for something to install, I preferred list mode rather than the big ass icons. I could sort by different columns, and it presents more information in the same amount of space. I had the window sized to show 32 games on the screen. The new UI, sized exactly the same shows only 15 games. Some of the sort options and information are still there, but it's not as easily accessible. You have to hover your cursor over the box/icon and wait for it to pop up, rather than all of it being displayed in a columned list.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Midday Tech Bits

6. Windows' PowerToys are back—and here's how to try the first two. Oct 30, 2019, 17:11 MeanJim

I'm just getting a header, footer and blank page for that site.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Weekend

11. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Weekend Oct 29, 2019, 17:29 MeanJim

It will probably take the average user the whole weekend to download the game. I checked it out way back in the first alpha was released when all it had back then was a hangar and a few ships. I think it was about 60-80GB then, so it must be several hundred GB by now. One of the updates failed to install and it wanted to re-download the entire thing, so I uninstalled it and haven't given it another look.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

7. Re: Morning Metaverse Oct 28, 2019, 20:30 MeanJim

The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Oct 28, 2019, 19:40:
Of course, the real reason for this move has /nothing/ to do with "people watch[ing] weekly and look[ing] forward to the next episode and talk[ing] about it". It's all about making sure customers keep paying every month. If people binge watch an entire season in a weekend, they may not show up (or pay) for the service until the new season is available. If they spread that same season out over six months, those customers have to keep paying month after month.

Look, I'll grant you that maybe I'll have a better experience if I don't watch ten episodes in a row, that spreading a series out over a month or so would be more memorable. But that should be the customers' choice, and not something pushed on them. If you try that, people will just find other ways of enjoying the media that don't have these strings attached... like your competitors or piracy.

That sounds about right. I know people that bounce from service to service each month. I don't see how that's going to stop them though. They'll just wait for a season to be complete, subscribe for a month, watch it, then cancel again.

I don't watch much TV these days, so tend to watch one show (season) at a time. I usually watch 2 episodes during the week, and sometimes on a weekend I might watch two more. I prefer to stick to one show so the story is fresh from one episode to the next rather than watching one episode per week of different shows.

I'm canceling cable in a few weeks, once one of the last shows I still watch ends its current season. I was thinking of getting Disney+, I already have Netflix and Amazon Prime, but I might as well wait a bit for them to "stock up" on shows. It's not like I have a shortage of stuff to watch.

MeanJim on Steam

3163 Comments. 159 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >