Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2637 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 31, 2016, 17:15 jimnms

I didn't get an email, and I'm pretty sure I've had a Dropbox account since before that date. I think I might have changed it already since the breach when I started updating to 16+ character passwords, but I changed it again anyway.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched
37. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Patched Aug 24, 2016, 14:12 jimnms

I haven't even played it yet and I'm somewhat regretting buying it. I knew they were going to release story DLC later, and that's usually a "buy it when complete" purchase for me. I only bought it because I built a new PC and wanted a new game to play on it, and I was able to pre-order it for $40. I can't refund it since I didn't buy it from Steam.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 24, 2016, 14:03 jimnms

ItBurn wrote on Aug 24, 2016, 13:36:
Hey Blue. There's this new dinosaur ad in the comments and it's constantly crashing. It's a flash crash. It freezes my whole browser. It keeps crashing even if I stop the flash process.

You shouldn't have flash enabled all the time. There are very few sites where flash is needed, so I it set to ask to activate (Firefox).

MeanJim on Steam

5. Windows 10 Annoyances Aug 24, 2016, 13:58 jimnms

Just when I thought I had sorted out all of Win10's annoyances that I could fix, it sprung a new one on me last night. I always put my system to sleep and reboot it every couple of weeks. I put the system to sleep, crawl into bed, turn off the light and just as I get comfortable I hear the system turn on. It was doing this right after I installed Win10 and it was the network adapter waking it, so disabled it from being able to wake the system. I got up, checked to see what woke it and it didn't show anything. I go to the network adapter's advanced settings and disable the WOL setting in the driver, put it back to sleep and go to bed.

This morning I wake up to find my system on again, and it has also rebooted, closing down everything I had open. Furious2 I looked in the event viewer and it woke up at 3:45am, then Windows update installed updates and rebooted just after 5am.

I did some searching to find out how to stop this, and found this. Running that powershell command in Step 3 to list all tasks allowed to wake the system showed that the UpdateOrchestrator task was the only task allowed to wake the system that was enabled. I'm still not sure it caused it since the system woke up at 3:45am and that task is scheduled for 5:12am.

I did Step 2 and disabled the task from waking the system and set the permissions on it. Everything else except Step 1 I had already done. I don't want to completely disable wake timers because I do occasionally use task scheduler to wake my system to do something while I'm away.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Game Reviews
8. Re: Game Reviews Aug 22, 2016, 17:09 jimnms

I got my key today from Games Republic, and it's pre-loading now.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
11. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 22, 2016, 16:22 jimnms

Dirty Butler wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 20:52:
I preordered from GMG and already have a key and have the game loaded on steam. Not that it answers your question at all, just sayin.

I got my key today and it is indeed a pre-order key. I was a bit worried for a while. I've never used this store before, but it was a good deal. They're owned by 11-bit Studios, which developed This War of Mine and others, so I figured they could be trusted. They even gave me a 10% off code for anything, even already discounted games, to apologize for the delay.

MeanJim on Steam

8. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 22, 2016, 02:49 jimnms

Creston wrote on Aug 21, 2016, 22:47:
IIRC they said that they did away with the silly pre-order shit that they had going for awhile, and everyone who bought it would just get all the typical stuff such as the extra mission. Obviously the Limited edition etc still gets more, but all the basic pre-order stuff should be included.

Even if you miss it, it probably won't really amount to anything. The extra mission for DE:HR (rescuing Tong's kid) was pathetic. Literally a single room added onto a sewer with four guards and a cell in it.

The store page for DX:MD shows the following bonuses for pre-ordering:
  • “Desperate Measures” extra in-game mission
  • Covert Agent Pack (Intruder Gear, Enforcer Gear and Classic Gear + 1 Praxis Kit + 1000 Credits)
  • Digital Novella
  • Digital Comic Book
  • Digital Artbook
  • Digital OST Sampler

• I thought the pre-order content for DX:HR varied depending on where you bought it. I thought you got some starting money, some of those hacking devices and different starting weapon depending on the retailer. I thought these were later released as DLC. I didn't pre-order so I didn't get any of that. I thought it was kind of weird how you're this big-shot security guy and you start out broke and the only money you ever get is what you loot from your enemies, and your boss at the start only gives you the choice between a revolver or a stun gun and a tiny bit of ammo for that first mission.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Steam Top 10 Aug 21, 2016, 19:52 jimnms

Does anyone know if the pre-order mission with DX:MD is going to be released later? I remember there being some backlash about some of the pre-order stuff a while back and they changed it. For some reason I remember reading that the pre-order mission would be a timed exclusive and be released for everyone later, but I can't seem to find any recent info about it.

I'm asking because I pre-ordered DX:MD a couple of weeks ago from Games Republic, but there is still no Steam key in my games list on the site. I then saw comments on their store page from other people saying that it's not a pre-order like you get in other places with the stupid bonus stuff, but just a pre-order of the final retail game.

I only pre-order stuff if I find a good deal on it, and I got it from Games Republic for $39.99 which is a good deal. GMG has the real pre-order for only $5 more. I'm tempted to request a refund and buy it from GMG.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
    2. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 19, 2016, 01:22 jimnms

17-inch gaming laptops are one big compromise.

FTFY

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer
    12. Re: Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Trailer Aug 19, 2016, 01:20 jimnms

It's still $39.99 at Games Republic.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
    16. Re: Windows 10 auto-enabled GameDVR last week - here’s how to turn it off and save your frames. Aug 17, 2016, 12:22 jimnms

SlimRam wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 02:04:
    jimnms wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 17:29:
    You’ll need a Microsoft account to disable it the normal way...

What the god damn fuck! I'm not creating a fucking Microsoft account just to disable shit I don't want and didn't ask for.

The article also tells how to do it without making the account:

Open Registry Editor (Run > regedit)
    Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\GameConfigStore
    Set the value of DWORD "GameDVR_Enabled" to 0
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\
    Create key "GameDVR"
    Create DWORD 32bit called "AllowgameDVR" and set to 0

Hope that helps.

I know. My point is that to do it the normal way requires an account. A lot of people aren't comfortable editing the registry.

MeanJim on Steam

8. Re: Windows 10 auto-enabled GameDVR last week - here’s how to turn it off and save your frames. Aug 16, 2016, 17:29 jimnms

You’ll need a Microsoft account to disable it the normal way...

What the god damn fuck! I'm not creating a fucking Microsoft account just to disable shit I don't want and didn't ask for.

I finished my new PC build weeks ago, but I haven't played a game on it yet because I've been fighting with Windows 10. It's like Windows 10 is bipolar. There are has good things that I really like about it, then there are things that just piss me off. MS needs to stop trying to make a universal desktop that works for everything. You can probably make something that works OK on all devices, or create a separate interface for each one that works better.

I did get Steam installed this past weekend and copied over the games from my old drive. I made sure my Steam controller worked, then I tried to launch Steam in big picture using my XBOX 360 controller and kept getting that game bar popup instead. I searched on the Steam forums and saw people saying you had to go into the XBOX app and turn off the DVR shit, but I didn't get around to that yet. Those forum posts didn't mention anything about requiring a Microsoft account.

What is the process for going back to Windows 7 if I "upgraded" during a clean install? I never actually had Windows 7 on my new machine. I'm considering staying on Windows 10 for the new machine just because I'll probably eventually have to "upgrade" when DX12 games start coming out. I also "upgraded" my old machine to Windows 10 with a clean install, but I'm considering going back to Windows 7 on it because it won't be upgraded any farther and it will save me the hassle of not having to fix two machines every time MS pulls some bullshit like this.

MeanJim on Steam

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 7, 2016, 21:40 jimnms

Does anyone have experience with Games Republic? They've got Deus Ex: Mankind Divided for $39.99. That's damn tempting even though I wasn't going to pre-order it. I was even thinking of waiting for the "complete" edition since they're selling that season pass BS, but I've got a brand new PC that needs a new game to challenge it.  

MeanJim on Steam

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 3, 2016, 20:36 jimnms

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 3, 2016, 12:12:
    You can still get Windows 10 for FREE.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/news/windows-10-free-upgrade-assistive-technologoies,32373.html

You get what you pay for. I haven't had this much trouble with a new OS. Windows 95 wasn't this bad, and I fucking beta tested it. I feel like I'm beta testing Win10. I've been "playing" around with it on my new PC and I planed to do a full re-install now that I'm done playing and think I know how to fix all of its problems I've run into, except one.

On my other PC, I just installed it and activated it to make the deadline for the free upgrade. Today I decided to go ahead and get it going before I format and re-install on my new PC. I'd like to have a working PC to use in case something goes wrong. I installed all of the drivers and was going through the control panel setting things up the way I like when the fucking start menu quits working. It did this to me once on my new PC, but I thought it was something I did while messing around. I never could fix and had to re-install, so now I'm going to have to re-install and set it up again, and hope it decides to work.

I could have knocked a dozen games off my backlog if I weren't fighting with Windows 10.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
    4. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Jul 31, 2016, 16:33 jimnms

I recently got chipped debit cards. It hasn't been a disaster for me, it just requires getting used to a different way of doing things. It does take longer than the swipe method. Before the chip, during checkout you could swipe your card at any time, put it away and when the cashier was done, enter your PIN, confirm the total, get receipt and go. The chipped card require you to leave the card in during the whole transaction, so you have to wait for the cashier to finish, put the card in, enter your PIN and wait for it to finish before removing the card. The first few times I used it, I kept removing the card out of habit after entering the PIN.  

MeanJim on Steam

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 27, 2016, 22:53 jimnms

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 12:10:
    Heard about that dude that's going to have a full body transplant? Or head transplant. Depending on how you look at it. The operation is probably going to happen this year:

Strange shit

It's BS, or if they go through with it, he'll just have a new, non-functioning body. If they could successfully do this, then they would already be curing people of spinal cord injuries.

MeanJim on Steam

13. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 22, 2016, 23:42 jimnms

I'm still battling with Win10 on my new PC. I'm still on my "test install," so maybe some things I've done while poking around is the reason for some of the troubles. The main problem I'm having is the damn Start Menu's search function just doesn't work. I've tried every suggested solution except re-install, which I'm probably going to do tonight after I test a few more things. One time it randomly started working after a reboot, only to stop working about an hour later.

Now Windows Update is wanting to install a driver for the Intel HD 530 graphics, which I don't have anymore. When I first installed I was using the onboard Intel graphics, but I've since put my GTX 970 in and disabled the onboard graphics and uninstalled the drivers for it. For some reason when I started it up today, I got a notification that Windows Update needed my attention or something. I clicked the notification and it's showing an update pending for the Intel HD 530 graphics driver. I can't seem to find a way to stop it.

I'm considering going back to Win7, but it doesn't have native support for things like USB 3.0/3.1, Thunderbolt, DX12 and whatever other new tech might come out in the near future. The Win10 Start menu is horrible, even when it did work, but there are quite a few things I like about Win10.

I tried Classic Shell, but didn't like it either. When the Win10 Start Menu search was working, just like with Win7, things I regularly used still only required me to hit the start key and type the first three characters before it was the top item, and all I had to do was press enter. With Classic Shell, it was showing different results.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > On Sale
    10. Re: On Sale Jul 20, 2016, 23:09 jimnms

According to SteamDB, the Mafia II Director's cut does include all 7 DLC.  

MeanJim on Steam

40. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2016, 20:04 jimnms

jimnms wrote on Jul 20, 2016, 18:33:
    Creston wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 19:10:
    Yeah, shit seems to break randomly and permanently in Windows 10. I get at least one workstation (or laptop) a week at work where Windows Update just literally STOPS WORKING.

Reimage time!

Yay.

In any case, try running an SFC /SCANNOW in an elevated command prompt. If you're lucky, it might fix it.

Like I said, I tried every solution when I searched for "Windows 10 start menu search broken." That was one of the first things, and it didn't find a problem. There was one to download some troubleshooting deal from MS and it too found nothing wrong. The only thing left to do was re-install, and I planned to do that anyway after I'm done testing stuff out.

Dev wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 23:03:
    Did you have a bunch of items in your start menu? As I recall, that might be a symptom of the FIXED size limit of the internal DB they started using for the start menu items . Something like no more than 256 items in the entire thing or else it will crap out. Because surely, no one installs more than a few applications, right? MS is so brilliant. I mean heck, an install of MS office can take up 20 on it's own. Almost as bad as the mythical "no one will use more than 640k ram" thing.
    Anyway, I heard they fixed it in a patch.

I barely have anything installed. This install was to make sure all of the drivers worked, install some firmware updates, test out some software and run some break-in tests before re-installing for a "permanent" install.

Oddly enough, it's working today and I didn't do anything else to try and fix it.

And it just stopped working again for no fucking reason.

MeanJim on Steam

39. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 20, 2016, 19:58 jimnms

You must be looking at the wrong mouse. Under the G502's mouse wheel is the button that locks and unlocks its free scrolling. Under that is the mode shift button you use to switch stored profiles on the mouse if not using the Logitech Gaming Software, otherwise it's re-programmable. To the side of the left mouse button are the two DPI buttons, which are labeled G7/G8 and are also re-programmable. You can see better detail on the official Logitech page. I find the tilt buttons extremely useful. They're easy to get to just by flicking your finger to the side. I map one to the middle mouse because it's quicker to press than the actual middle mouse and I don't have to set up a custom profile to map it to a key for every game.

I can't find the G400 on the Logitech site other than its support/download page, but it looks like the G5 I used to have, with the DPI buttons on top and bottom of the mouse wheel and two side buttons (except I had the first generation G5 with only one side button). I never found those buttons to be easily accessible to use for anything because they were so tiny and in a bad location (hard to press without rotating the mouse wheel). The DPI buttons on the G502 being beside the left mouse button makes them easy to get to, and they aren't stiff to press like the ones on the G500 were.

MeanJim on Steam

2637 Comments. 132 pages. Viewing page 1.
    < Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo