Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage https://steamcommunity.com/id/meanjim
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2924 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. WASD Oct 18, 2018, 22:00 MeanJim

People didn't start using the mouse until Quake? WTF, I was using the mouse and keyboard in Wolf3D and DooM.

WASD may work for simple games like Quake where all you do is move and shoot, but when you add more functions (keys to press), it becomes less efficient. Hell, even in Quake, IMO it's not very efficient. You tie up one hand to all movements, meaning you have to take a finger off of a movement key to press another button. I still use RMB for forward, which I think was default in DooM. I use Spacebar for backward, S and D for strafing, which leaves me with my left index finger and pinky free to press other buttons without having to lift a finger off of a movement key.

The first game I played that didn't have re-bindable keys and forced me to use WASD was so uncomfortable I didn't want to play it.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. First Shadow of the Tomb Raider Nude Mod Released Oct 17, 2018, 20:24 MeanJim

I'd be interested to see if there's an increase in sales now.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Discord Store Global Beta
4. Re: Discord Store Global Beta Oct 17, 2018, 18:00 MeanJim

CJ_Parker wrote on Oct 17, 2018, 03:02:
bigspender wrote on Oct 17, 2018, 00:29:
I mean yeah, perhaps more stores better prices for customers and developers alike, but I've already got 4 clients installed.....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ONLY 4 CLIENTS BWAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA U N00BLET!!!111

I currently have 6 installed, but I only use 2 of them regularly (Steam and GOG Galaxy), and two of them I don't even have games installed from them anymore. Every now and then I open them to keep them up to date though.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Interviews
6. Re: Morning Interviews Oct 16, 2018, 21:01 MeanJim

I've watched a few videos of people that got to play a closed preview. They all seem to express the same concerns about the game. It's basically just the most boring part of Fallout done in MP; collecting junk and building a settlement. Without NPCs though, the only purpose they serve is something for random enemies to attack and you have to rush back to defend it. The game looks like Fallout 4 shit too. It looks too damn cartoonish, the weapons look like goofy toys, and the UI/HUD makes me want to gouge out my eyeballs.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 15, 2018, 01:16 MeanJim

Creston wrote on Oct 14, 2018, 14:55:
Well, Russia's down now too, so we're looking elsewhere anyway. SpaceX say they're 6-9 months away.

Russia could be back up in a month or two. SpaceX's and Boeing's capsules won't be human rated until at least 2020 if there are no setbacks.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
35. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 15, 2018, 01:13 MeanJim

Beamer wrote on Oct 13, 2018, 10:51:
Factually incorrect. Like, hugely. All it did is prevent Romero from making money off of his movie. It didn't do a damn thing to the zombie. The word "zombie" isn't used in Night of the Living Dead, and there was zero copyright around slow shamblers.

Hell, you know how zombies run around uttering "braaaaains!?" That comes from Return of the Living Dead, a movie that could be made without NotLD's copyright issue, and a movie with a proper copyright, despite the fact that nearly every zombie movie after had zombies trying to eat brains.

Sorry, your article isn't legally accurate. The copyright status of the movie had nothing to do with the growth of zombies. If it did, then Monster Squad never would have had the Universal Monsters in it.

You obviously didn't RTFA.

MeanJim on Steam

11. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 14, 2018, 05:29 MeanJim

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Oct 13, 2018, 18:56:
Newest windows update:

- deleted device drivers from my system

- broke the context menu "run as administrator" function

- removed taskbar explorer shortcut i had

- broke windows services like windows store and xbox app unless ipv6 is enabled

- reset graphics settings and game settings for windows store games (not all)

..and those are just the things I can think of off the top of my head. its been a shit update all around. only nice thing is dark file explorer

This update went smoother for me than the previous two updates. I haven't had any problems with it. The first creators update kept failing because I had a directory junction in my user directory. The second one reset a bunch of stuff, which I was able to reset. Search wouldn't show results from the settings/control panel. It disabled hibernate/hybrid sleep, and I didn't find out until I put my system to sleep to replace my UPS batteries and it bitched about not shutting down clean.

After this update, the search works again, and so far I have only found one setting that got reset; the default microphone input was set to the rear port instead of the front panel. For some reason, when I changed it back to front panel, it wouldn't work, but after a reboot it did work.

Creston wrote on Oct 13, 2018, 20:18:
When are we going to just fucking cut Russia off from the Internet? Why do we, as an entire fucking PLANET, accept this from those assholes?

When we get the capability to send our own astronauts to space?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 14, 2018, 05:19 MeanJim

eRe4s3r wrote on Oct 13, 2018, 22:36:
Funfact, the Soyuz capsules still docked on the ISS can only stay in space for 3 months each, meaning at some point the ISS crew is gonna loose return capability too when no new Soyuz docks. So this is not a small issue.

They're not stranded. As the article says, the current Soyuz capsules docked are good until January. If the Soyuz isn't cleared to fly until then, the crew will return to Earth before then, leaving the space station empty. I read the other day that if the Soyuz launch vehicle isn't cleared for human flight by then, they may look at launching an unmanned Soyuz capsule up to dock with the space station, which will allow the existing crew to stay longer.

MeanJim on Steam

7. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Oct 13, 2018, 18:35 MeanJim

As Microsoft revealed, only people who clicked “Check for Updates” got bitten by Windows 10’s file deletion bug.

I didn't click check for updates and I got the update (but I didn't lose files). I updated a driver and was about to reboot and I noticed the shutdown/restart on the start menu said update and shutdown/restart instead. I checked the Windows Update in settings to see what was updating before proceeding with the restart and it had three updates showing. One was a defender update, one was an update for the current version of Windows and the 3rd was the 1809 update.

When I saw that it was going to install the new 1809 version, I did a quick backup before restarting.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
26. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Oct 12, 2018, 18:55 MeanJim

Beamer wrote on Oct 12, 2018, 13:38:
Hell, if we had weaker copyrights, my guess is 1980s arcades would have been about 50% Mickey Mouse games, because it's much easier to get someone to play that than something unknown.

I'll leave this here for you to read:
How a Copyright Mistake Created the Modern Zombie

If it weren't for that mistake, think of how many TV shows, movies and video games would not have been made.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 Free Weekend
5. Re: XCOM 2: War of the Chosen & Tactical Legacy Pack Released - XCOM 2 F Oct 10, 2018, 03:36 MeanJim

Flatline wrote on Oct 9, 2018, 20:18:
Started playing and rage-quit. Two 100% hit chances in a row missed, and over half of my 75% or higher hit chances missed too. By the 4th mission I had seen the Advent miss... three times. I forgot that Firaxis thinks it's hilarious to give you inaccurate information.

That still happens in XCOM 2? That was a "rare" bug (from what I was told) in XCOM: EU, which happened in both of my attempts of playing it. It's like a disease that infects one soldier at first, then spreads to others. It gets worse over time, to where eventually every shot shows either 1% or 100% chance, and you never know your real chance to hit.

As a gift to the fans, the XCOM 2: War of the Chosen – Tactical Legacy Pack will be available for free to all owners of XCOM 2: War of the Chosen until 12:59pm ET on December 3.

What happens after December 3rd? Does the DLC cost money or is it just unavailable after that?

I picked up XCOM 2 from a Humble (monthly?) bundle, but wanted to go back and finish the first one. I was thinking of giving the first game another try "soon" and I figured by the time I got around to playing and finishing it, all the DLC would be out and discounted by then.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Skybound to Complete The Walking Dead: The Final Season
4. Re: Skybound to Complete The Walking Dead: The Final Season Oct 8, 2018, 17:11 MeanJim

Osc8r wrote on Oct 7, 2018, 23:29:
Anyone watch the latest season of Fear the Walking dead? Geez..what a disaster...it feels like a poorly made blockbuster written by a first grader.

That show is still on!? It was a disaster from the start. The first episode or two was OK seeing things from the beginning, but it quickly went off the rails and I quit watching it. I want to stop watching the other Walking Dead show. It got stupid after the 2nd or 3rd season and keeps getting worse, but I've watched so much of it, I feel like I need to see it through to the end.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
19. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Oct 6, 2018, 23:43 MeanJim

While enthusiasts could manually install the October 2018 Update since October 2, it was scheduled to be pushed out to the masses via Windows Update on October 9 as part of Patch Tuesday.

They must have pushed it out early then. It downloaded Thursday night for me. I have auto reboot disabled and I always backup before major updates. I must be lucky though since I didn't lose any files, but I have my documents, music, video, etc. directories on D: though.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
4. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 2, 2018, 15:40 MeanJim

Nullity wrote on Oct 2, 2018, 13:59:
I'd recommend everyone just uninstall any and all Adobe software from their personal PCs, unless you absolutely need it for work or some other reason. You'll be safer for it, I haven't put any on my PCs for years.

Flash has almost completely disappeared (good riddance). Their PDF reader hasn't been necessary for a long time, as most browsers now have native PDF readers built-in. If you really do need an external PDF reader for whatever reason, you can use something like Foxit.

I agree, except I recommend SumatraPDF. The last time I used Foxit, it was approaching Adobe levels of bloat.

My sister uses some Adobe software on her home computer. It was required when she took some classes a while back and she got it at a discount. She calls me every now and then because every time there is an update to the Adobe software, it installs a bunch of trial software like antivirus and firewall shit that breaks things and I have to walk her through removing it. I keep telling her to remove Adobe, but she won't do it. I suppose she feels like she needs to keep using it since she paid for it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > The Walking Dead: The Final Season No Longer For Sale
2. Re: The Walking Dead: The Final Season No Longer For Sale Sep 26, 2018, 13:43 MeanJim

Arithon wrote on Sep 26, 2018, 10:32:
If there's refunds for incomplete episodic games from Steam, then SiN Episodes and Half-Life 2: Episode 3 owe me some cash..

They didn't sell season passes for those games and not deliver the remaining content, so they owe you nothing.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Amnesia: Dark Descent Adding Hard Mode
15. Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent Adding Hard Mode Sep 23, 2018, 00:49 MeanJim

ItBurn wrote on Sep 22, 2018, 12:46:
Skip Clear Skies man. It's bad. Shadow of Chernobyl is pretty good, but I think you should go with mods because it was pretty broken. Call of Prypiat vanilla is great though.

I've played STALKER SoC before. I bought it on disk at release, but I never finished it. The first patch was incompatible with old saves. I didn't want to start over, so I didn't patch my game. I got as far as the location right before Prypyat when I encountered a bug and couldn't continue. Parts of that game still haunt me, and never found the right time to go back to it.

I've already got STALKER modded and ready to go. I'm using ZRP, some texture packs, a weather overhaul mod and some other graphical enhancements. I've heard Clear Sky isn't as good, but I'm still going to play it. I'm not sure yet what mods I'll be using for CS and CoP though. I want to keep it as stock as possible and just go with visual enhancements, quality of life type stuff and bugfixes.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 23, 2018, 00:32 MeanJim

NKD wrote on Sep 22, 2018, 20:12:
I miss the circa 1995 Internet. That's when my town got an ISP and I was finally able to get on.

I think we got our first ISP in '95 as well. There were three local ISPs that started up all around the same time, one later folded. It didn't take long for more to move in though, and I had half a dozen ISPs or so to choose from if I didn't like my current ISP. This was in a small city of about 20k people.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Sep 22, 2018, 12:30 MeanJim

Should I upgrade from a 970 to a 2080 Ti? Hell no, not for $1200. I generally skip a generation or two, but I kind of regret not upgrading from to a 1080Ti before cryptocurrency ruined the stock and prices of GPUs. My monitor (standard 1080p 60Hz) crapped out and I went all out on a 1440p 144Hz G-Sync display. My 970 could run everything I had maxed out at 1080p at 60FPS, but some games I had to lower some graphics settings to get a decent frame rate at 1440p. I'll probably get a 2070 or whatever is in the $400-500 range.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Amnesia: Dark Descent Adding Hard Mode
9. Re: Amnesia: Dark Descent Adding Hard Mode Sep 22, 2018, 12:02 MeanJim

I don't remember Amnesia being hard, as in dying a lot. I don't think I died when playing it. The first time I played it, hardest part was forcing myself to grow a pair and push keep going. I thought you died if your sanity dropped to zero already.

A couple of years ago I played SOMA, then re-played Amnesia and A Machine for Pigs back to back for Halloween. It was my first time playing SOMA and AMFP. I guess after SOMA, and having played Amnesia before kind of had my nerves numbed, and I didn't find Amnesia or AMFP all that scary. It's atmosphere is still creepy as hell and I could only stand 2-4 hour session before a break, but with SOMA, the story and the way it's told/discovered, I didn't want to stop, I wanted to keep going and find out more. The visuals, the audio and the story were perfect, and I think it's one of the best games, period.

I have not played Justine yet. I keep forgetting about that. Maybe next Halloween because I already have my scary games picked out for this year. I'm going to attempt to play all three STALKER games in October (and probably a bit of November).

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Telltale Games Lays Off Staff, May Close
18. Re: That's what happens when you don't listen to the fans Sep 22, 2018, 11:31 MeanJim

WitcherOntheProwl wrote on Sep 22, 2018, 07:51:
Wolf Among us, Tales From The Borderlands, The Walking Dead series were the only good games they made.

That's what I was going to say. I think their two best games were Wolf Among us and Tales from the Borderlands, and those are the two that never received sequels. I never read the comic books Wolf Among Us was based on), but I liked the game. I'm not a big fan of TWD, I watched the TV show for a few seasons (3 or 4) until it got stupid, but I enjoyed the games. I've only played the first and second though. I have the third one installed, but haven't gotten around to it.

I can't help but wonder if their episodic releases hurt them a bit. I always waited for them to be complete to buy them, at which time they were usually 50% off too.

MeanJim on Steam

2924 Comments. 147 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo