Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage https://steamcommunity.com/id/meanjim
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 3187 (Veteran)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GFWL Caused GTA4 Steam Delisting

5. Re: GFWL Caused GTA4 Steam Delisting Jan 13, 2020, 22:54 MeanJim

This is why I'll never buy anything from the MS Store (GFWL 2.0). MS gets bored with things and abandons them. And RockStar's lazy asses should have removed this years ago when GFWL was shut down. It can't be that hard, XLiveLess came out the same month the game was released removing the GFWL requirement.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Multiplex

2. Re: Evening Multiplex Jan 10, 2020, 19:55 MeanJim

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 10, 2020, 19:04:
FM is NSFW

You shouldn't be watching YouTube at work anyway.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

10. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 6, 2020, 18:52 MeanJim

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 6, 2020, 14:39:
Framerate limiting in driver was one of those things you think you don't need, until you get a 144hz screen and realize some badly coded games only offer 30/60 and unlimited FPS cap options.. that's a godsend

I can't say I've ever run into that problem in-game, but some games don't frame limit the main menu, which causes my GPU fans to kick in full speed while the thing renders some text at 10,000fps.

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 6, 2020, 14:39:
What ain't.. is a 530mb bloated driver download that only needs 20mb for the actual driver and then leaves 1.4gb of garbage files on your system. What the actual fuck nvidia. In fact is this just me? The installer doesn't wipe the temp files and it unpacks it fully twice, so it's actually more like 1.5gb

I wish they would have a driver only download without Geforce Experience, Shadow Play and the other BS I don't use.

They've gotten better about cleaning up after install recently. They used to not delete the C:\nvidia directory which it extracts files to after the install finished. That was easy to delete manually, but they also used to leave the old driver installed, I suppose for roll-back purposes. Back when I only had a 64GB SSD, I noticed it slowly getting closer to full capacity. I assumed it was Windows Update, because I generally sleep my system and reboot once a month for Windows Updates, and install the latest drivers at the same time. It turned out to be the old nvidia drivers taking up over 20GB. I had to use a program called Driver Store Explorer to properly remove the old drivers.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue

36. Re: Invisible Ink “Tattoos” Could Be Used to ID Vaccinated Kids. Dec 25, 2019, 06:25 MeanJim

jdreyer wrote on Dec 24, 2019, 19:40:
MeanJim wrote on Dec 24, 2019, 19:32:
afka Rossini wrote on Dec 24, 2019, 14:23:
On a side note, I got my first shingles shot recently. There should have been a picture of Mike Tyson on the syringe. I'll get it, but I am not looking forward to the booster.

I got that earlier this summer after my doctor recommended I get it during my annual checkup. That shit made me sick for 3 days. There was some clusterfuckup with the pharmacy though and I can't get the 2nd part. When I first went to get it, the pharmacy told me I needed a prescription if I'm under 50, so I called my doctor and got one. My insurance covers it and I got the first shot. A few days later they called me to inform me that they can't give me the 2nd shot because it's a pharmacy policy not to give it to people under 50 at all and I would have to get it from my doctor instead. I called my doctor to find out what to do, and they said they can't get the shots, but would make some calls. They called every pharmacy in town and they all have the same policy, and no doctor in town can get them it either. Since there's a window of 2-6 months to get the 2nd part, he said all I can do is wait until I'm 50 and do it all over again, but at least having the first shot is something like 95% effective.

Now that I'm 50, I need to look into the shingles vaccine. Getting shingles is literally two to six weeks of fucking torture.

I've never had it, but I know someone that got shingles and lost partial vision in one of their eyes. I think he was in his late 30's early 40's, so I don't know why they don't give the vaccine to people under 50 since you can get shingles at any age if you've had chicken pox.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Invisible Ink “Tattoos” Could Be Used to ID Vaccinated Kids. Dec 24, 2019, 19:32 MeanJim

afka Rossini wrote on Dec 24, 2019, 14:23:
On a side note, I got my first shingles shot recently. There should have been a picture of Mike Tyson on the syringe. I'll get it, but I am not looking forward to the booster.

I got that earlier this summer after my doctor recommended I get it during my annual checkup. That shit made me sick for 3 days. There was some clusterfuckup with the pharmacy though and I can't get the 2nd part. When I first went to get it, the pharmacy told me I needed a prescription if I'm under 50, so I called my doctor and got one. My insurance covers it and I got the first shot. A few days later they called me to inform me that they can't give me the 2nd shot because it's a pharmacy policy not to give it to people under 50 at all and I would have to get it from my doctor instead. I called my doctor to find out what to do, and they said they can't get the shots, but would make some calls. They called every pharmacy in town and they all have the same policy, and no doctor in town can get them it either. Since there's a window of 2-6 months to get the 2nd part, he said all I can do is wait until I'm 50 and do it all over again, but at least having the first shot is something like 95% effective.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 76 Public Server Warning

13. Re: Fallout 76 Public Server Warning Dec 24, 2019, 03:40 MeanJim

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 23, 2019, 23:14:
It was a load of messy work to make FO76 happen, due in part to the same limitations that have been holding back their mainline games, which are remnants of the NetImmerse/Gamebryo legacy. Things like the limit on active characters (playable or not, hence very few NPCs in FO76), plus the way the map loads and unloads in chunks and physics behavior is tied to framerate.

Again, it's Bethesda's incompetence, not the game engine. Lots of games using Gamebryo do not have problems like limitations on NPCs, map loads and physics. Bethesda uses the Havok physics engine in their games. Do you know how many games use Havok and don't have the problems that Bethesda games have? It's a lot.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout 76 Public Server Warning

11. Re: Fallout 76 Public Server Warning Dec 23, 2019, 15:47 MeanJim

jacobvandy wrote on Dec 23, 2019, 13:27:
This is what happens when your game engine wasn't built with online multiplayer in mind. Each individual client is trusted with way too much stuff, and the assholes are going to exploit that however they can. It reminds me of when DayZ was first blowing up and "hackers" didn't even need cheats to cause mayhem, just basic console commands for that ARMA engine. We still played though, 'cause losing your gear in a PVP sandbox is part of the central gameplay loop..

No, this is what happens when you're incompetent and/or lazy. The Creation engine is based on Gamebryo, which was called NetImmerse, which was a FUCKING MMO engine. There are plenty of Gamebryo based games that don't have the bugs that exist in every single one of Bethesda's games since they began using the engine.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance

1. Over 800,000 birth certificate copy applications left exposed online. Dec 9, 2019, 22:33 MeanJim

I hope I'm not in that list. I recently had to request a certified copy of my birth certificate. I sent it by mail though because they charged an extra fee to do it online. The idiots didn't put an address on it at all, they just put my name, city, state and zip code on the envelope. There just happen to be three people with the same first and last name that live here with the same zip code, so I think the post office just took a gues. Luckily, the one they delivered it too knows me because I've gotten mail for him, and he forwarded it to me.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Interviews

2. Re: Evening Interviews Dec 9, 2019, 22:20 MeanJim

WaltC wrote on Dec 9, 2019, 20:10:
Interesting choice of words, "unforgettable," as I seem to have all but forgotten my BioShock experiences to date....;) I own them all, but they're not that memorable.

Pretty much the only thing I remember about the first one was how I had already figured out the plot before the big reveal, and how I got bored with it and never finished it. I never played the second one, but somehow I own it on Steam. I got Infinite for free, I think it was a freebie for voting in one of those game award deals. It was as predictable as the first, but I did manage to finish it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta

8. Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Open Beta Dec 9, 2019, 22:14 MeanJim

Mr. Tact wrote on Dec 9, 2019, 20:57:
CJ_Parker wrote on Dec 9, 2019, 19:51:
They can shove their launcher spyware where the sun don't shine.
I was about to whine about their launcher, I mean come on, even Steam doesn't install a client into your Windows startup without saying anything. I was disappointed when I finally made my first purchase ever from them recently...

I got into the closed beta during the first week, and have used old Galaxy too since it's beta, and it has never put itself into startup unless you tell it to during install. Besides, it's an optional client. Unless it's a game that has Galaxy features, I pretty much use it as a downloader for the offline installers and extras.

MeanJim on Steam

13. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 8, 2019, 22:38 MeanJim

jdreyer wrote on Dec 8, 2019, 19:24:
'Ultimate hangover cure' discovered by scientists who say coffee won't help

Of course coffee won't help, like alcohol it's a diuretic.

Coffee is not a diuretic, that's an old myth that's been debunked. Just drink a lot of water, or better yet, don't drink so much that you get hung over.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Full Steam Ahead for Red Dead Redemption 2

16. Re: Full Steam Ahead for Red Dead Redemption 2 Dec 6, 2019, 16:49 MeanJim

mirthy wrote on Dec 6, 2019, 10:50:
Does the Epic version also launch rockstar's launcher?

No matter where you buy it, you have to use the RockStar Launcher and Social Club BS. You might as well skip the middle man if you pick it up and buy a RockStar key from GMG at a discount.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Controller Sold Out?

23. Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 5, 2019, 22:37 MeanJim

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 05:55:
<Shrug> Steam had one chance at a first impression and they blew it. The fact that you how you hold it is non-intuitive shows that it is a poor design.

That's just the thing though, it is intuitive once you stop forcing yourself to stop holding it like something it isn't. When I first picked it up, I was trying to grip it like an Xbox 360 pad because that's the only controller I'd ever used. When I finally relaxed my grip and let it sit naturally in my hand, it made perfect sense. The shape of the controller makes your thumbs and fingers rest in the right spot. I thought it was pretty genius design after that.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Full Steam Ahead for Red Dead Redemption 2

6. Re: Full Steam Ahead for Red Dead Redemption 2 Dec 5, 2019, 22:19 MeanJim

GinRummy wrote on Dec 5, 2019, 20:09:
So you can now pay full price instead of 25% off that Green Man had it last week, and you STILL have to install and create an account for the Rockstar store and loader? The only reason to wait for steam was to avoid that, so it's really a bit pointless. Or am I wrong and it only loads in the background without needing an account?

GTA V on Steam is like that. Were you expecting them not to do it again?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Dec 4, 2019, 02:57 MeanJim

Dash wrote on Dec 4, 2019, 02:28:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 15:38:
Spam is already 50% of my calls, looking forward to 75%.

China thinks of everything, can't wait till they roll out that feature in the US. just sold my stock in burner-phones-r-us

At some point, people will get completely fed-up with spammers. And a bunch will suddenly vanish, in the night.

As for China, it's sprinting headlong with glee back to 1984. Reminds me of all the paranoia in the 80's and 90's of the 'Beast' joke, related to the Christian Revalation apocalyptic weirdness.

I wonder what goes through the mind of someone that works for a spam call center when they get spam calls.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Controller Sold Out?

16. Re: Steam Controller Sold Out? Dec 4, 2019, 02:56 MeanJim

Burrito of Peace wrote on Dec 3, 2019, 12:05:
A friend of mine has one from when they were released. I was less than impressed with it. It just felt...unsatisfying in my hands. It definitely did not feel like it had the same build quality as my Xbox 360 and Xbox One controllers.

You didn't spend enough time with it. I thought it felt weird at first, but I was trying to hold it like I do an Xbox 360 controller, and it's not meant to be held like that. The reason it's shaped like it is, is so when you hold it right the tips of your thumbs are touching the dual touch pads instead of laying flat on them if you try to hold it like a regular controller.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse

5. Re: Sunday Metaverse Dec 1, 2019, 16:51 MeanJim

Muscular Beaver wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 16:33:
Cutter wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 13:38:
I dig DDG on a philosophical level but as a search engine it just isn't very good. Evil as Google is they are the best search engine.

I use it first. If it doesnt find what I want, I then use Google.
Rarely have to use Google anymore.

I haven't used Google for searches in years.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10

7. Re: Steam Top 10 Dec 1, 2019, 16:44 MeanJim

Quinn wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 14:49:
phinn wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 13:52:
RedEye9 wrote on Dec 1, 2019, 13:35:
Steam controller is OoS.

Discontinued and suddenly people want it.

Yeah well a heads-up would've been nice. I was always on the fence about the thing, and I would've bought it if I knew it'd be discontinued. Now it's OoS though, just like that. Valve really does give fuck all about their customers.

You can still buy them on Amazon.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > R.I.P.: Steam Controller

26. Re: R.I.P.: Steam Controller Nov 27, 2019, 23:03 MeanJim

It's is kind of sad to see them go. It's a great device that can be configured to do pretty much anything. I pre-ordered one after injuring my arm and couldn't use a mouse for a while. I was tired of typical games I could play with the Xbox 360 controller I already had, so I went ahead and pre-ordered it. It works great with turn-based strategy games and isometric RPGs. It was pretty rough in the early days, you had to use the Steam client beta, it only worked in big picture mode, and at times they would update something that broke your configs. All of that has been fixed now.

It was nice to sit back in my chair to play those games instead of hunched over a keyboard and mouse. I thought I'd continue to use it for those games once I healed up, but I didn't. It's highly customizable and it can take a while to set up, so I just end up playing with mouse and keyboard.

Though I liked it, I gave it a negative review (because neutral reviews aren't a thing) and I don't think I ever updated it. I might pick up another one just to have in case nothing else like it ever comes out and I find myself in a situation where I can't use a mouse for a while to play games.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > We Happy Few: We All Fall Down Released

1. Re: We Happy Few: We All Fall Down Released Nov 21, 2019, 18:55 MeanJim

Didn't this game "fall down" after Gearbox took over?  

MeanJim on Steam

3187 Comments. 160 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >