Total Posts
3258 (Veteran)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

3258 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    163  ] Older

9 simple ways to make your desk healthier and more comfortable.
Jul 1, 2020, 12:21
9 simple ways to make your desk healthier and more comfortable. Jul 1, 2020, 12:21
Jul 1, 2020, 12:21

That keyboard in the article is pretty damn cool, but I don't know if it's $200 cool.
"As a species, we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room,
we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you
think we invented politics and religion?"

Re: Morning Legal Briefs
Jun 17, 2020, 12:35
Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 17, 2020, 12:35
Jun 17, 2020, 12:35

That sounds like a weird fetish.

Re: Indie devs remove their games from Steam over Valve's silence on Black Lives Matter…
Jun 17, 2020, 02:14
Re: Indie devs remove their games from Steam over Valve's silence on Black Lives Matter… Jun 17, 2020, 02:14
Jun 17, 2020, 02:14

Beamer wrote on Jun 16, 2020, 23:37:
Whomever made your bowl and spoon probably did say something

Nope. I checked. I went to their web pages, and searched for any mention of them and BLM.

Orogogus wrote on Jun 17, 2020, 00:09:
I think it's obvious that they don't have the department that handles these things at other companies. Their Facebook pages have been abandoned, their website is a hiring portal and nothing else, they've never had an Instagram, and their Twitter account - about half a year old - might be an automated bot that just barely sends out announcements of updates and events for Alyx, Dota and Artifact. I think Gabe gave up social media half a decade ago. None of this says to me that there's a room of white guys trying to tiptoe around the big social issues of the day.

Gabe is famous for answering his personal email. This developer could have just emailed him before throwing a temper tantrum, but then he wouldn't have gotten the attention he was after.

Re: Indie devs remove their games from Steam over Valve's silence on Black Lives Matter…
Jun 16, 2020, 23:15
Re: Indie devs remove their games from Steam over Valve's silence on Black Lives Matter… Jun 16, 2020, 23:15
Jun 16, 2020, 23:15

Red wrote on Jun 16, 2020, 16:56:
MeanJim wrote on Jun 16, 2020, 13:11:
So you're damned if you have an opinion one way or another, and now you're damned if you stay out of it and keep your opinion to yourself.
On the topic of racial equality, there is a right opinion and a wrong opinion. It is unfortunate that silence can't be interpreted as having the correct stance, but part of the reason for the movement is that too many people are either unaware (likely do to privilege) or closet racists. Any individual which can't say "black lives matter" needs to take a serious look into themselves, and any company which can't make the same statement really should be questioned. It's really not that hard to declare that black lives matter.

Well damn, the companies that made my cereal bowl and spoon haven't voiced their support for black lives matter, I guess they're racist too and I need to throw out all of my dishes and utensils and re-buy from one that has. You can't fault Valve or any company for staying silent on any political matter. If they come out in support of BLM, they'll lose business, if they oppose it, they'll lose business. Staying silent is the safest thing to do. Picking a side does nothing but cause further divide and doesn't help, nor is it their job.

Indie devs remove their games from Steam over Valve's silence on Black Lives Matter…
Jun 16, 2020, 13:11
Indie devs remove their games from Steam over Valve's silence on Black Lives Matter… Jun 16, 2020, 13:11
Jun 16, 2020, 13:11

So you're damned if you have an opinion one way or another, and now you're damned if you stay out of it and keep your opinion to yourself.

Re: Gearbox Sues Over Duke Nukem Music Rights
Jun 16, 2020, 12:53
Re: Gearbox Sues Over Duke Nukem Music Rights Jun 16, 2020, 12:53
Jun 16, 2020, 12:53

I'm not against someone getting paid for their work, but this BS of several people/entities owning rights to bits and pieces of software is ridiculous. This shit is the reason we can't get NOLF released on digital platforms or remastered because the software has been transferred so many times no one knows who owns the rights to what, and nobody wants to go to the trouble of finding out.

Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Free DLC
Jun 15, 2020, 01:00
Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Free DLC Jun 15, 2020, 01:00
Jun 15, 2020, 01:00

I literally just started playing this with a friend a weeks ago. The new content is only available when starting new a game, and we're not starting over, again.

The Half Elf wrote on Jun 14, 2020, 18:02:
I still need to play this. Saw some people playing this co-op and sounds like it'd be more fun that way.

It depends on your friends. I played the first one with a friend, and while it was fun and we had some laughs, I like to take my time, explore towns and talk to people, take my time to decide how/what to level up, compare gear, etc. my friend would rush through leveling up, quickly get bored of and want to just go kill stuff. There was a month or two where we couldn't get together to play, and when we picked back up, we'd kind of forgotten what we were doing.

I started DOS2 before the Definitive Edition with the same friend and a friend of his. We never even made it out of the starting ghetto. I wasn't having fun at all. They were both kind of the same, just running off getting into trouble while I'm trying to pick up quests. They'd piss someone off, get into a fight, we'd die and have to re-load a save. They didn't quite understand we're not fucking super heroes, we literally fell off a boat and are wearing rags, and they're trying to kill the guards with butter knives and forks.

We decided to give it another go a couple of weeks ago. He convinced another friend of ours to get it, and we had a 3rd friend join us. The 2nd friend wasn't enjoying it at first, which is weird because he used to be into pen and paper D&D and was really into Diablo back in those days. The 3rd friend was like me, and got frustrated with the other two and decided to quit after the first night. We carried on for a bit, then decided to re-start because we couldn't get rid of the 4th coop character, and if it was going to be three of us we wanted to try and play with just our characters and no companions.

I was hosting and had already deleted the saves, and the 3rd decided to come back. When we first started, my first friend (the one I played DOS with) picked an origin character, the 2nd friend just picked a race and pre-built class while me and the 3rd friend made custom characters. It didn't work out so well, so this time they listened and we took our time coordinating and building our party. We started up and played for 9 hours straight.

We couldn't all get together the next day, and the 2nd friend that wasn't enjoying it at first, now was really into it, so he started playing single-player. When we all got together again, he kept telling us how he did things in his single-player game, we kept telling him to shut the hell up and keep his single-player game separate and not spoil it for the rest of us. I guess we weren't playing often enough for him, so he abandoned the coop game to play by himself.

Shortly after, our 3rd left us again. So it was back to me and the friend I played DOS with, so we agreed to re-start with just the two of us and ignore the others if they wanted to come back. Now after all of the restarts, we've been at it about a week, and then this comes out. We're not restarting again. So far it's going a little better than when we played DOS. He seems more patient this time, but he still gets impatient at times when I want to take my time with something.

Re: Battlefield 3 Remaster Rumor
Jun 11, 2020, 21:16
Re: Battlefield 3 Remaster Rumor Jun 11, 2020, 21:16
Jun 11, 2020, 21:16

Jivaro wrote on Jun 11, 2020, 17:59:
For me, 2 was the game changer...so to speak. My experience with a new release always seems to come down to whether my rose-colored memory goggles think 2 was better or not.

I probably put more time into BF2 than BF3 and BF4 combined. BF3 was good in a lot of ways, but the lack of built in comms was a big let down. BF4 had a lot of improvements over 3, but liked most of BF3's maps better.

Microsoft June 2020 Patch Tuesday fixes 129 vulnerabilities.
Jun 10, 2020, 01:27
Microsoft June 2020 Patch Tuesday fixes 129 vulnerabilities. Jun 10, 2020, 01:27
Jun 10, 2020, 01:27

I usually wait until the weekend to install updates so I'll have time to fix it if something goes wrong. I've even modified the task that checks for updates from the default of something like every 12 hours to only checking on Saturday morning.

Both of my Windows PC's were still on 1903, but my home server PC last weekend started showing that message saying the feature update version 2004 isn't ready for it, and I no longer have the ability to install 1909 from windows update. My gaming PC still had the ability to install 1909, so I decided to go ahead and do that before it disappeared on it.

I want to get my other PC on 1909. I have a bootable USB image of 1909 backed up that I made using the media creation tool, but I'd prefer to do it through Windows update since it installed fast and was a small download, and using the USB image will treat it as a full upgrade. I was hoping that they would push 1909 through today, but so far I haven't gotten any updates other than Defender definitions when I force it to check for updates. I tried again just now, and nothing.

Does anyone know how to get 1909 through Windows Update? I looked for a bit this morning, but all of the official downloads on Microsoft's site are now version 2004.

Re: Small ISP cancels data caps permanently after reviewing pandemic usage.
Jun 4, 2020, 21:31
Re: Small ISP cancels data caps permanently after reviewing pandemic usage. Jun 4, 2020, 21:31
Jun 4, 2020, 21:31

Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 20:15:
The only thing I miss from Comcast is they tracked my data usage and made the information available to me. It was interesting to me to see the wax and wane of my usage. Unfortunately my cheaper, faster, fiber connection does not provide that data to me. First world problems...

Get a router that does it. My past several routers, all of which I used 3rd party firmware (DD-WRT, Tomato, Gargoyle) do this. My current router came with a licensed, modified, commercial version of DD-WRT which has it built in too. They take forever to update their firmware, so I moved to Gargoyle after it took them months to patch an exploit.

Re: More EA Games Come to Steam
Jun 4, 2020, 21:20
Re: More EA Games Come to Steam Jun 4, 2020, 21:20
Jun 4, 2020, 21:20

Slick wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 19:45:
...no one seems to mind having to run 2x DRMs instead of one...

Speak for yourself. Lots of people hated this when Ubisoft started doing it, and still do. I've only bought one game from Ubisoft since they started doing this, and I bought a key from GMG, which was for Uplay. If I'm going to have to use Uplay anyway, might as well skip the extra step of launching it through Steam.

Verno wrote on Jun 4, 2020, 20:30:
I would use Origin but it seems to forget its login cookie every time I load it so meh. EA hasn't put out any decent games in quite awhile now either.

Origin, Uplay and Rockstar's Launchers all do this when they update. Rockstar's is the worst. I occasionally fire up GTA V to blow off steam in single-player, but just about every time, it's forgotten me. I have to log in, wait for a 2FA email code, then complete two or three CAPCHA's, just to play a fucking single-player game. I'm not buying anymore Rockstar games until they cut that shit out for the single-player part. As for Uplay and Origin, I might use them, but I'd rather wait until I get them launcher and DRM free on GOG.

Site Update
Jun 1, 2020, 16:41
Site Update Jun 1, 2020, 16:41
Jun 1, 2020, 16:41

Frans continues his impressive work on the site as we roll out another new tweak today.

I don't know if this recent tweak changed it or not (since I haven't posted a message in weeks), but comment text box can now only be resized vertically. I like to stretch it out both vertically and horizontally when posting because I find the default size too small.

Re: Morning Metaverse
Jun 1, 2020, 16:36
Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 1, 2020, 16:36
Jun 1, 2020, 16:36

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 1, 2020, 11:58:
At least you can now remove it from the taskbar entirely.

You've always been able to remove it from the task bar. It's the first thing I do when I install Windows 10, even for the first release.

Re: etc.
May 17, 2020, 18:33
Re: etc. May 17, 2020, 18:33
May 17, 2020, 18:33

Are you the type of person that is also OK with police installing cameras in your house, and monitoring your phone calls to make sure you're not committing crimes?

Re: Steam Play Next Launches
May 15, 2020, 20:49
Re: Steam Play Next Launches May 15, 2020, 20:49
May 15, 2020, 20:49

Well it must have read my mind somehow. The only three games I've been playing are Pillars of Eternity mainly, Arma3 with friends, and American Truck Sim. I just finished PoE, and want to start PoE2, but I was going to take a short break and knock some short games off my backlog. It recommended the exact two games I had in mind, The Talos Principle and The Turing Test, both are first person puzzle games, which are nothing like what I've been playing.

Re: etc.
May 15, 2020, 19:20
Re: etc. May 15, 2020, 19:20
May 15, 2020, 19:20

Beamer wrote on May 15, 2020, 11:08:
D-Rock wrote on May 15, 2020, 10:49:
OMFG the writing in that GTA 5 article sounds like a bot. We're talking 4th grade level writing. How does one get a job as a 'journalist' with writing that horrible? Does Game*Life even have an editor?

Now that I think of it, there are some bots out there that can write better.

English is his second (or third) language, I believe. Turkish, currently living in Indonesia.

Even ignoring the English and grammar, it's a badly written piece. I clicked on an article that's supposed to be about something happening in GTA V and the first half of it is talking about Fortnite. I don't give a shit about Fortnite. In the entire article, only one sentence is about the actual GTA event: people put on an alien outfit and watched fireworks. WTF is so amazing about that?

Re: The Elder Scrolls VI is Years Off
May 11, 2020, 12:39
Re: The Elder Scrolls VI is Years Off May 11, 2020, 12:39
May 11, 2020, 12:39

Beamer wrote on May 11, 2020, 12:13:
The TES team is doing Starfield right now. Can't blame them - they'd been in TES for so long that they needed to do something new to flex some creative juices.

Judging by their last few releases, they've been out of creative juice for a while now.

Re: NVIDIA GeForce Hotfix Driver
Apr 25, 2020, 22:28
Re: NVIDIA GeForce Hotfix Driver Apr 25, 2020, 22:28
Apr 25, 2020, 22:28

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 25, 2020, 20:43:
MeanJim wrote on Apr 25, 2020, 19:46:
Is this is just the notebook driver? I don't see a version of this for desktops. The nvidia site still shows 445.87 as the latest desktop driver.

There aren't 'notebook' drivers and 'desktop' drivers, it's all Windows 10. What you're seeing is that the main drivers page won't bring up a hotfix in a search, you have to manually seek those out in the support base. Just click the link within the body of text Blue quoted here if you want it.

I use the advanced search on nvidia's site (not geforce.com) because it's the only way to get the non DCH drivers now. It shows different files if you search for a desktop chip or a notebook chip, even if the version is the same. If it's the same driver with just a different file name, that's dumb, but I'm not downloading 1GB to find out.

Re: Op Ed
Apr 25, 2020, 22:06
Re: Op Ed Apr 25, 2020, 22:06
Apr 25, 2020, 22:06

Cutter wrote on Apr 25, 2020, 10:13:
Good artists borrow, great artists steal.

And successful artists sue.

Re: NVIDIA GeForce Hotfix Driver
Apr 25, 2020, 19:46
Re: NVIDIA GeForce Hotfix Driver Apr 25, 2020, 19:46
Apr 25, 2020, 19:46

Is this is just the notebook driver? I don't see a version of this for desktops. The nvidia site still shows 445.87 as the latest desktop driver.
3258 Comments. 163 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    163  ] Older