Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname jimnms
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2686 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > GOG.Com Winter Sale Includes Free NWN; Steam Sale Dated
21. Re: GOG.Com Winter Sale Includes Free NWN; Steam Sale Dated Dec 1, 2016, 21:05 jimnms

I already own NWN, and just bought everything I wanted during the fall sale. I had two of the games you get from XP (Dex and Expeditions: Conquistador), and I spent enough to unlock all three games during the last sale. I forgot what the 3rd game was, but I wasn't interested in it. Again, this time I have the first two unlockable games, but I am interested in Stasis. Nothing is jumping out that I want to buy this time though.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale & Steam Awards
6. Re: Steam Autumn Sale & Steam Awards Nov 24, 2016, 02:04 jimnms

El Pit wrote on Nov 24, 2016, 00:44:
Done! Excellent idea! Let's stick it to Valve!

I saw it on another forum this morning, and they probably got it from somewhere else.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Autumn Sale & Steam Awards
1. Re: Steam Autumn Sale & Steam Awards Nov 23, 2016, 23:54 jimnms

If you need an idea for the “We Didn’t Think Of Everything” Award, pick Half-Life 2 Episode 2 and nominate it for “Game most in need of a sequel” Award.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: New battery tech lasts for days, charges in seconds. Nov 23, 2016, 00:11 jimnms

LittleMe wrote on Nov 22, 2016, 21:49:
Electricity is much cheaper and more efficient than gas. Of course electricity is dirtier...

Internal combustion engines are horribly inefficient compared to electric motors. A typical gas engine is around 15-30%, or 40-60% for diesel, where as an electric motor is 80-99% efficient. Lithium ion batteries are 80-90% efficient. Even when using the same fuel to make the electricity to charge those batteries, it will always be cleaner and more efficient to generate electricity than burn it in an internal combustion engine. Burning fuel to power a steam turbine is 70%+ efficient at turning heat into electricity, not to mention that it's a lot easier to trap and clean the exhaust of a large, stationary power plant vs. a small car with an internal combustion engine.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 17, 2016, 00:18 jimnms

Pigeon wrote on Nov 16, 2016, 13:21:
This year I had no soreness at all, and other years the next day it'll feel like an MMA fighter kicked me in the arm. I too wonder how much of this is due to injection technique.

EDIT: Quick google search says the soreness is part of the immune response, but I still suspect there's something to the technique as well.

I've always thought it was due to technique too. Some times I don't feel the needle at all, sometimes it stings and burns as it goes in/out. Sometimes my arm is a little sore for a day or two as well, but for the last two years I didn't feel the needle or have a sore arm. I still think there has to be some technique to it as I also get blood work with a regular checkup and some nurses can draw blood without me feeling a thing where others feel like it would hurt less if they just cut my arm off.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 11, 2016, 14:31 jimnms

Just stream through the web based player and don't use the Spotify app.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Tyranny Released
10. Re: Tyranny Released Nov 10, 2016, 23:08 jimnms

Retired wrote on Nov 10, 2016, 22:09:
Did I miss something somewhere? Game seems over priced....

A $45 a new release is overpriced? There are deals out there though. It was 20% off at WinGameStore last night (Steam key). I was torn between getting it from them or DRM Free on GOG. I've been trying to ween myself from using Steam so much outside of cheap sales and bundles, but I couldn't make up my mind if it was worth $9 extra for GOG's DRM Free version (technically it's DRM free on Steam too). I wasn't interested in the pre-order crap because it seemed a bit cheaty to me. The WinGameStore page was showing 12 days left on the sale price, so I decided to sleep on it and pick it up this afternoon after I made up my mind. I had finally decided to get it from WinGameStore, but when I go to buy it, it's now 15% off and the counter shows 20 days left. That's still cheaper than GOG, but it kind of pisses me off that they changed it, so I'm now thinking of going with GOG even if it is more. I was hoping to play it tonight, but now I'm still trying to make up my mind on where to buy it from.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
8. Re: etc. Nov 10, 2016, 19:23 jimnms

The article doesn't mention GOG. I know CDPR owns GOG, but aren't CDPR the developer and GOG separate businesses?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Game Reviews
4. Re: Game Reviews Nov 10, 2016, 19:12 jimnms

It's designed to be a shorter experience, more reactive experience and to be played multiple times. I've read 25-30 hours if you rush through, most people will see 50+ hours. It's not the type of RPG that you can see and do everything in one play through. Certain paths will be cut off right at the start based on your decisions. So one play through could be 25-30 hours, but if you want to experience the whole game, you'll need 3 or more play throughs. I'm actually looking forward to starting this up.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
85. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 9, 2016, 19:33 jimnms

The republican party hates him, so I predict they'll do whatever it takes to make sure they get him out ASAP.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon for Free
10. Re: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon for Free Nov 9, 2016, 18:56 jimnms

I bought FC3 + Blood Dragon a while back, I think from Amazon which were Uplay keys. I played FC3 and I really wasn't that impressed with it, so I never got around to playing Blood Dragon.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Tyranny Trailer
8. Re: Tyranny Trailer Nov 4, 2016, 23:10 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 19:45:
My understanding is that this is a mechanic utilized throughout the game, and the devs expect people to regularly lose and start over. Guess we'll see.

You understood wrong then: https://youtu.be/hOc4hSmLFbc?t=6m39s

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Nov 4, 2016, 19:46 jimnms

Netflix has long hinted at the fact that it may offer video downloading and offline viewing to help customers deal with the threat of usage caps. Unfortunately, that functionality may not be coming to US customers anytime soon.
So it's coming, just not to the people it will help most.

Speaking to CNBC this week, Netflix’s Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos said that while the service option may eventually launch in areas that lack access to robust high-speed internet, it probably won't be launching in the States, where broadband is more widely available at faster speeds.
What the fuck are they smoking? Yousaidwhat

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Tyranny Trailer Nov 4, 2016, 19:42 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 19:20:
Yeah, usage based skill systems suck. Also having forced time constraints in this game is a bad choice as well. Given how bad PoE was this is a definite wait and see.

The only place where you have a time limit is the first mission, which is tied to the setting of Kyros being a dick and giving an edict for it to get done in time or he will kill everyone.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Tyranny Trailer Nov 4, 2016, 19:39 jimnms

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 18:26:
Looks and sounds great, except for the usage based skill system(ala Oblivion, etc.) I'd prefer a standard level up, use points, but I can tolerate it.

Now, all they need to do is avoid the Obsidian curse of massive bugs on Day 1...

I feel the same way, but I was watching one of their developer streams of this and someone brought that up and they put some of my concerns to ease. Unlike Skyrim, Oblivion, etc., there is only a finite amount of XP to gain in the game, so you can't grind the skill system to get extra levels. You're better off deciding what skills you want to use and sticking to them to level them up instead of going for a jack of all trades type character. Skills are also tied to attributes, so they get a boost from those as well when you level up.

I'm so damn tempted to pre-order this. If they pitched this on Kickstarter, I would have gone in on it, so I figured why not go ahead and pre-order or get it at release. Even if I didn't play it right away, I want it to sell well so they can make more games in this series or Pillars 2 or another new game.

I've been trying to move to using GOG more, but a few sites have some good pre-order discounts for Steam keys. It's 20% off at WinGameStore, and 12% off at Games Republic, which I have a one-time use 10% off code to use there that will make it cheaper if it stacks with the pre-order discount.

I'm quite hyped for the game, so if I got it now, it would skip the backlog and I'd play it right away. I like how it's meant to be a shorter game with lots of replayability built in. I could play through it at least once, go back to chipping away at the backlog, then revisit it after the most likely incoming load of balance patches like there were for Pillars.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GOG.com's Monstrous Fall Sale
7. Re: GOG.com's Monstrous Fall Sale Nov 4, 2016, 03:13 jimnms

Cutter wrote on Nov 4, 2016, 01:36:
Expeditions Conquistador is well worth having for anyone who doesn't have it. In the rare time its name pops up around here the few of us who've played it always espouse what a great a game it is, and how it's a shame it's flown under the radar. Definitely a hidden gem.

I bought it after seeing a recommendation here. I played a few hours of it and really liked it, but I didn't have time play it so I put it on my short list of backlogged games to play. I got it in one of those fixed price bundles with a dozen games for $3. I felt like I payed way too little for it, so I bought it on GOG a while back.

They're working on a new game called Expedition Vikings coming out next year.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
11. Re: Morning Metaverse Nov 2, 2016, 16:46 jimnms

I just got a letter yesterday informing me that my cable bill is going up. The internet portion has been $44.95/mo for the longest time, and it's now going up to $49.95. I'm getting 30Mb/s down 2.5Mb/s up. The letter goes on to announce their "Turbo" plan at 100Mb/s (but it doesn't say what the upload speed is). I can upgrade to Turbo and lock it in for $49.95 if I sign a 12 month contract, but it fails to mention the price after that 12 months is up though.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Half-Life Black Mesa Xen This Summer
6. Re: Half-Life Black Mesa Xen This Summer Oct 31, 2016, 15:49 jimnms

Yosemite Sam wrote on Oct 31, 2016, 12:41:
Meh, I'll check it out if it's still free on their web site, otherwise... They did a pretty nice job on the mod but their reinvention of a lot of the later levels really killed the whole vibe of the original game.

It's not a mod. Mod is short for modification. This is a completely rebuilt by hand of the original Half-Life in the latest Source engine.

The free "mod" that was released is different than what's being sold. It was built in an older Source engine, and they puled a Valve and scrapped everything and started over with the newest Source engine.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Windows 10 Adds Offline Gaming
38. Re: Windows 10 Adds Offline Gaming Oct 30, 2016, 13:23 jimnms

Prez wrote on Oct 29, 2016, 15:58:
My suspicion is that Microsoft is using the fact that there was considerable opposition to Steam and Origin that later subsided as those platforms improved tremendously as a model as to why they are stubbornly sticking to their guns on this. The problem with this is that MS apparently still has no clue how to serve the PC audience.

They're probably also counting on the short attention spans of most users. Has everyone forgotten about the Games for Windows Live already? I never bought anything on it, and the only reason I had it installed was because it was required by a couple of games (which there were tools to remove it). If you bought anything on it, you were shit out of luck when they shut it down. I wouldn't trust buying anything from the MS Store because in a few years when they get bored with it, they'll shut it down an everyone that bought stuff from it will be screwed.

Microsoft needs to stop trying to be like Apple and Google and go back to what they did best, making software.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
26. Re: Morning Mobilization Oct 30, 2016, 13:05 jimnms

jdreyer wrote on Oct 30, 2016, 05:35:
Okay, thanks. I've installed and imported it. I also tend to sleep my machine for weeks on end, so I don't lose open tabs. I set the idle timer to 1 minute. Any other settings need to be checked?

It should be imported exactly the way I'm using it. After I created it, I exported it, deleted the original and imported it because you can't change the name of an existing task. Just make sure it runs as SYSTEM and not your user. I initially had it set like that, but when I was watching a full screen video and it ran the task, the screen would flicker and sometimes I'd see a brief flash of a command prompt window. Changing it to run as SYSTEM eliminated that.

I don't think you need to use 1 minute idle, it works at 4 minutes. Last month I happened to be at the computer when it downloaded updates and notified me that it scheduled a reboot. I looked, and the reboot task scheduled for 10 minutes or so after the end of what I had set as active hours. I kept watch on the reboot task and something keeps re-enabling it. I suspect it is the Windows Update service because I didn't see any other tasks running around the time it re-enabled.

Once it past the initial time it scheduled to reboot, whenever the reboot task was re-enabled, it changed it to run an hour later. I was worried that if I put the system to sleep while the reboot task was enabled and before the disabler task ran that it would wake in the middle of the night and reboot. I was thinking I would have to set another task to run it on sleep, but task scheduler runs the on idle tasks on sleep/shutdown/logoff so it wasn't necessary.

There is only one minor problem now. If you're not using the computer when that notice pops up telling you updates are installed and a reboot is scheduled, the only way to know you need to restart to apply updates is the shutdown and restart options on the start menu change to "update and restart" and "update and shutdown" or something similar. If you have a button on your case or keyboard that puts the system to sleep, you won't see this.

Luckily I haven't lost any thing other than time due to these reboots. I use Firefox and set it to restore my session so I don't lose tabs. I save my work before putting the system to sleep, but I still had to get everything open and back the way I left it when it rebooted, and my popcorn got cold when it rebooted on me right after starting my movie.

MeanJim on Steam

2686 Comments. 135 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo