Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage https://steamcommunity.com/id/meanjim
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2823 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Mafia on GOG.com
5. Re: Mafia on GOG.com Oct 19, 2017, 17:31 MeanJim

Acleacius wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 11:55:
Really great news! Lighter

Iirc, the drm was a problem and this will surely help with stability. I'm guessing someone will make a mod/folder with all the old songs to be added in the drm free version at GOG. I've got the disks and Steam version, both with the old music.

When Rockstar pulled the music from Steam versions of GTA: SA, it didn't take long for someone to put up a diff patch that added back the removed content.

Luckily I had it installed at the time (and I also have the pre-hot coffee patch disk version), so it was on my backup drive. I just compared the "updated" version to my backup version and made a backup of the changed files. I doubt I will ever play it again, but if I do, it'll be nice to know I have the full game.

That still pisses me off that they removed it from every version. When they removed songs from one of the other games, it was only removed for people that purchased it after the date of the license expiring. It doesn't seem like what they did should even be legal since previous owners still have a license to use the un-molested version.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
14. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 19, 2017, 17:22 MeanJim

Quboid wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 10:01:
Weird. Those icons are at the top of the start menu (I also remove the task-bar search ASAP) and default to no filter. I've no idea why this is different.

It gets weirder. After I posted that last night, I started messing around with it and I have no idea what I did, but now I think I'm seeing what you described. I literally didn't change anything, I just clicked through all of the icons on the side and bottom and suddenly it changed.

I now have three icons at the top (apps, docs, web) and I see the filter menu you are talking about. I clicked filter and it's set to All (Most relevant on this PC, Web). When I start typing the name of a document I frequently edit, it still does not show any results there, I have to click the documents icon at the top.

I can't even get it to go back to the way it was because that was easier to use before. Previously I had icons to filter between all the different result types without an extra click of that filter menu, but now it's just the apps, documents and web icons and the filter menu.

Verno wrote on Oct 19, 2017, 09:13:
I just use Everything instead.

I use that too when I need to find something that isn't indexed. It doesn't take hours to index like MS's search indexer, and it's quicker to find shit. Too bad it isn't integrated into the start menu.

MeanJim on Steam

9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 19, 2017, 02:24 MeanJim

Quboid wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 20:39:
I get all sorts of results when I search from the startmenu in Windows 10. Applications, documents, folders, etc.

When you search, at the top right of the results there is a filter option. What is this set to? Mine is "All, most relevant on this PC", it resets to that each time I open the search menu. The three options at the top left (apps, documents, settings) are all toggled off.

There is nothing at the top right (or left) when searching from the start menu. I'm talking about when you press the start button on the keyboard or the start menu icon at the bottom left of the screen, not that search bar that is (was) on the task bar. That was the first thing I disabled after installing Win 10 because it seems unnecessary to have that taking up so much space on the task bar when you can do the same thing by typing with the start menu up.

When I press start and begin typing, down at the bottom of the results, just above where text appears when you start typing, are icons to filter results from apps, documents, pictures, etc. It always defaults to apps and I have to click one of icons to get results for other things.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Oct 18, 2017, 18:48 MeanJim

HorrorScope wrote on Oct 18, 2017, 15:25:
Article mentions windows 7 has a superior start menu. I don't see it that way at all.

I still prefer the Windows 7 Start menu. They both have their good and bad parts, but overall I found Windows 7's start menu more productive. For example, when typing to search in the Windows 7 start menu, it shows results for programs, documents, pictures, etc. Windows 10 only shows results programs. To see results for other things, after typing you have to click the icons at the bottom to switch to different result types.

I have spread sheets and documents that I edit often. On Windows 7, I could just press start, type the first four letters of its file name and hit enter to open it up, without touching the mouse. With Windows 10 I have to press start, type the four letters, then click the documents icon to switch to searching documents mode, then click the document I want from the results.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
9. Re: Steam Top 10 Oct 16, 2017, 03:28 MeanJim

YourNick wrote on Oct 15, 2017, 22:43:
Seems to me that the CS crowd is moving to PU Bat, the next new thing in realistic modern combat.

Realistic? Laugh Mwahaha Laugh2

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
19. Re: etc. Oct 6, 2017, 23:07 MeanJim

Creston wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 13:36:
As for Steam, why don't you just leave the username/pw to said person? Problem solved.

That's what I plan to do, although it isn't as easy just giving a username and password to someone. For that person to be able to take control of the account, they'd also need to be able to access my email and mobile authenticator too. Seeing both of those change might throw up a flag at Valve for them to look into the account.

Another tricky situation that should be addressed is "family accounts." I'm not the only one I know that has created a second Steam account as a family account to be able to play coop with family and friends. I don't consider myself as owner of that account since I have my own personal account.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
8. Re: Morning Safety Dance Oct 6, 2017, 22:35 MeanJim

Ozmodan wrote on Oct 6, 2017, 16:55:
I am still using CCleaner, just don't use the auto update feature.

I have yet to find a better tool although some of those mentioned do just as good a job, just not as feature rich.

I occasionally run CCleaner, but I always download the portable version. I don't use the auto update feature on CCleaner or anything. I downloaded the infected version, but never ran it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Fallout Turning 20: Get a Free Copy
5. Re: Fallout Turning 20: Get a Free Copy Sep 29, 2017, 23:49 MeanJim

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 21:20:
Heads up that this is the censored version. Though FIXT works to uncensor it.

All digital versions of Fallout 1 are censored because they use the UK version 1.2. When Bethesda removed the original Fallout games from all stores before re-releasing them (after adding Bethesda logos to them), they bundling it with the high res. patch, so I don't understand why they didn't add the children back.

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 29, 2017, 21:41:
Thanks for the heads-up on the FIXT mod too, Mashiki. That seems to be like a good addition to playing the game properly after reading up on it over at ModDB.

There is a stand-alone patch that just restores the children if you want to play pure Fallout (bugs and all). The unofficial patches from TeamX also add them back. Fixt is pretty much all you need though. It's basically a compilation of just about everything in an installer that lets you chose what you want.

MeanJim on Steam

16. Re: Morning Tech Bits Sep 29, 2017, 13:12 MeanJim

Scheherazade wrote on Sep 28, 2017, 11:53:
Moores law has been a thing of the past for a while now in CPU land.

My 6 core CPU from ~2011 performs indistinguishably similar against the latest offerings in real world application. It's been half a decade.
(Barring esoteric stuff like video transcoding - in which case it's only /most/ of the speed of the latest offerings.)

I'm not that old, but I remember when speeds would double every year, and that was so normal that it was expected like the way people expect the sun to rise next morning.

Moore's law isn't about speed, it was an observation that the number of transistors on a chip double roughly every two years.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Skyrim Special Edition Adding Survival Mode
16. Re: Skyrim Special Edition Adding Survival Mode Sep 28, 2017, 13:18 MeanJim

Retired wrote on Sep 27, 2017, 22:38:
Correct me if I am wrong, isnt this already a free mod?

Bethesda is trying to "fix" that.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
10. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 25, 2017, 23:05 MeanJim

WaltC wrote on Sep 25, 2017, 16:54:
If you are paying an ISP $100 per month for 10mbits down, 1mbit up--you need to get a new ISP!

Get a new ISP??? Are you serious or trolling? Do you even live in the US?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Sep 25, 2017, 12:21 MeanJim

Why can't they lay cable like that all over the US?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Divinity: Original Sin 2 Nears 500K Sold
11. Re: Divinity: Original Sin 2 Nears 500K Sold Sep 19, 2017, 03:15 MeanJim

Eurogamer notes this has caused a struggle to keep servers up at first...

What servers?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
18. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 14, 2017, 03:33 MeanJim

Did Windows 10 change its update again? Early yesterday morning it downloaded updates and notified me it would reboot after active hours (which it won't because I've disabled that). I had to go run some errands that afternoon and when I clicked the Start button, Power and selected Sleep, instead it applied updates and shut down. I had a bunch of stuff open, but everything was saved so I didn't lose anything. It was just annoying to have to have to start up and reopen everything the way I had it.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Sep 13, 2017, 12:21 MeanJim

RedEye9 wrote on Sep 12, 2017, 20:53:
The exploit worked against Windows 10
I thought a free OS like Windows 10 with DirectX 12 was supposed to be more secure.

The vulnerability was in the .NET framework, so Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 were also vulnerable.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 4, 2017, 00:27 MeanJim

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 21:27:
MeanJim wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 19:28:
I generally like a clean boot and don't run things on startup, but I do have a couple of programs that I set to run at startup and no update stopped them.

The Creators Update broke a number of methods used for services such as NSSM. As I said we did find workarounds for all the issues but when you're running a server doing tons of things and it reboots from an update with half its shit not running it's a tad inconvenient. I had no problem with it on my main machines but other updates did cause various issues. The USB issue I mentioned was one linked to the Enterprise version (which I run on my workstation) as they didn't roll out the update like they do on consumer machines and the manual update was borked. The backup issue was caused because they essentially use the Windows 7 form of backup but when you work with UEFI it can mess it up.

I never said these were typical issues but for any serious user it's been a drain on resources. Like I said - it's fine for gaming but I'd steer clear of it otherwise. If you use it for a dedicated gaming machine or for light work, sure, but to say the updates haven't been a complete f'n mess (pardon my language) for serious work is a different matter...I could rally off a half dozen other issues in that arena.

So it's the Creators Update that's being pushed out to everyone next month that breaks startup programs? Great, more fun to look forward to...

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
5. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 3, 2017, 19:32 MeanJim

The Half Elf wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 19:13:
Welcome to last year Cutter.

Doesn't he live in the past?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Sep 3, 2017, 19:28 MeanJim

NewMaxx wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 16:58:
Windows 10 has so many annoying intermittent issues that Win 7 never had.
- put to sleep, and it will hang indefinitely with the hard drive running. Have to reboot.
- wakes up from sleep and the network driver is completely missing. Not deactivated, but gone entirely. Have to reboot.
- sometimes it loses the ability to recognize USB devices. Even if I replug them, it won't see them. Have to reboot.

This was a clean install. My hardware is pretty standard. I don't have a lot of software other than games loaded.

jdreyer wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 16:12:
I had two major problems with it so far. Well, actually, three. The first was when I upgraded to the first major pack and it removed my USB filters. This wiped all connected USB drives (my eSATA ones were fine) so I had to restore one or two TB manually. Later, when restoring a backup, it wrote to the wrong drive (when it rebooted to the process) and that drive was one of two in a RAID-0. Again, had to restore 1-2 TB of shit because of that. Third, I stupidly put it on my one server, where I discovered that update basically gimped your ability to directly run things on startup. Yes there are ways around that but it's ridiculous that I was cost about a week of work over those issues in the last YEAR. I did get it for gaming reasons but so far there's really no gain for that despite the promises, even on proper DX12 cards (AMD) you don't really gain anything you just lose less.

I've had issues with Win10, but none of those. I put my system to sleep when I'm not home or sleeping myself, and usually reboot only once a month. I've had a few hangs when it tries to sleep, but it has always been caused by a misbehaving program.

I generally like a clean boot and don't run things on startup, but I do have a couple of programs that I set to run at startup and no update stopped them.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
10. Re: Steam Top 10 Sep 3, 2017, 18:53 MeanJim

Nice to see Divinity: Original Sin 2 on this list.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
6. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Sep 3, 2017, 18:49 MeanJim

Beamer wrote on Sep 3, 2017, 10:07:
No, most people put their phone number, for "security."
Apps can only harvest what you give them permission to, anyway.

Does the app require access to the user's phone number? I know apps can only access what they have been given permission to, but like EULA's, most people don't pay attention to that when installing an app and will obliviously sell their privacy to get it.

MeanJim on Steam

2823 Comments. 142 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo