Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage https://steamcommunity.com/id/meanjim
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 3126 (Veteran)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > New Steam Library Beta
1. Re: New Steam Library Beta Sep 17, 2019, 21:10 MeanJim

As I feared, it sucks. It has giant fucking icons (boxes) and looks like some shit made for touch screens. They removed small mode, and there is no list mode in the large mode. Even GOG realized that the large box/icon interface was clunky and hard to manage for large libraries and added a list mode in Galaxy 2.0.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Rockstar Launches Game Launcher with GTA: San Andreas Giveaway
9. Re: Rockstar Launches Game Launcher with GTA: San Andreas Giveaway Sep 17, 2019, 21:06 MeanJim

jacobvandy wrote on Sep 17, 2019, 20:30:
So, anyone know if they've fixed the digital version of San Andreas since ruining it five years ago? Gutting several of the radio stations was bad enough, but they even broke or intentionally downgraded some things at a system level so that ALL versions were identical to their fucking mobile port. I.e. HD resolutions such as 1080p were dropped, previously fixed crashes were reintroduced, of course all older saves were wrecked... But hey, the game now has native Xbox controller support!

Giving this away for free now without a constructive update is only going to remind people of these issues.

There is a patch that adds the music back, and there are ways to patch (unpatch?) it to previous versions. I already own the pre-hot coffee disk version and have it on Steam. I don't see myself ever playing it again though. I've played the story mode three times, and completed it 100% twice.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Rockstar Launches Game Launcher with GTA: San Andreas Giveaway
8. Re: Rockstar Launches Game Launcher with GTA: San Andreas Giveaway Sep 17, 2019, 21:01 MeanJim

Does it have offline mode and is this going to replace the stupid Rock Star Social Club crap that you have to launch GTA V through? I hate that when I go to fire up GTA V single player to blow off some steam by mowing down people in the street, I have to sign in even though I've checked remember me, and then complete two CAPCHAs and if my internet is down or Rockstar's service is down, you can't even play.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Microsoft Flight Simulator Insider Program Signups
4. Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator Insider Program Signups Sep 17, 2019, 20:53 MeanJim

I'd sign up for this, but I've fallen out of the Flight Sim scene. I never transitioned to FSX because I had a lot of addons for FS9 that weren't compatible. I did snag FSX when it released on Steam thinking it would be a good time to get back into it. I still have my yoke, twin engine throttle quadrant, etc., but I haven't touched them in years. If I do get back into flight sims, it'll probably be DCS and not civ sims. I have the A-10C and KA-50 modules, and the upcoming F-16C module is looking sexy AF.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > The Outer Worlds Video
19. Re: The Outer Worlds Video Sep 16, 2019, 17:06 MeanJim

I only watched a bit of the video and skipped around. I hope you can holster your weapon. It looks stupid running around outside of combat pointing your weapon at everyone. I'll pick this up when(if) it releases on GOG, which by then it will be finished (patched and with all DLC).  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Interviews
1. Outer Worlds interview- ‘I think Fallout fans will enjoy our game’ - VGC. Sep 9, 2019, 17:22 MeanJim

Microsoft acquired Obsidian in late 2018 and its first-party games boss recently said he hopes The Outer Worlds grows into an “enduring franchise” for Xbox.

I guess their re-re-re-re-commitment to PC has expired.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Previews
8. Re: Saturday Previews Sep 8, 2019, 15:03 MeanJim

They already confirmed they aren't doing n-body physics, but they're doing something to make the binary system work. I hope they also cheat in lagrange points too. I've wondered if it would be possible to add an invisible gravity body at the lagrange points, but I wouldn't know where to start trying to mod it.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Previews
3. Re: Saturday Previews Sep 7, 2019, 21:27 MeanJim

Armengar wrote on Sep 7, 2019, 16:44:
As long as it supports mods. I dont think ive ever played ksp without mods.

Why wouldn't it support mods? They already said they're working with modders, and KSP2 should be more mod friendly in terms of not breaking things with updates. I'm hoping they incorporate more essential mod features into the stock game. They have already implemented a lot of mod features into the base game like Kerbal Engineer, Kerbal Inventory System, Infernal Robotics, and a few I'm probably forgetting.

One mod that needs to be stock is Kerbal Alarm Clock. It's impossible to have multiple missions going and keep track of them yourself. I'd also like to see something like Kerbal Construction time become stock. it was always weird to fire up a career mode and make to to the Mun and Minmus progresssing half way through the tech tree in a couple of in-game days. In the alpha days there used to be a quantity shown on items in the editor, so it it seemed like they had a plan for some sort of construction or assembly time but never implemented it.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Sep 2, 2019, 22:55 MeanJim

1badmf wrote on Sep 2, 2019, 21:57:
honestly how are they capping out so fast? back in the day it took me 3 months, 8 hours a day (at least).

Duh.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
9. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 30, 2019, 02:27 MeanJim

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 19:22:
MeanJim wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 19:19:
Verno wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 16:17:
Yeah they've both been fucking us for awhile now, Nvidia just moreso. I'm sticking with my 1080ti until it dies or Ampere arrives.

Didn't they just recently get caught working with each other to keep prices up, again.
source?

ATI and NVIDIA settled a lawsuit for price fixing in 2008 (1) (2) (3). I thought I read about them getting caught doing this again very recent. They probably bribed (I mean conducted a totally ethical business transaction) the right people this time.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 29, 2019, 19:19 MeanJim

Verno wrote on Aug 29, 2019, 16:17:
Yeah they've both been fucking us for awhile now, Nvidia just moreso. I'm sticking with my 1080ti until it dies or Ampere arrives.

Didn't they just recently get caught working with each other to keep prices up, again.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Ubisoft: Steam Business Model "Unrealistic"
32. Re: Ubisoft: Steam Business Model Aug 28, 2019, 17:41 MeanJim

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 28, 2019, 12:40:
MeanJim wrote on Aug 28, 2019, 12:29:
Well Ubi, why don't you let other developers/publishers to sell their games on your store with a lower cut than Steam?

Also, is Ubisoft/Uplay down? I wasn't able to log yesterday and it's still down. I can neither get to ubisoft.com in a browser and Uplay client says the service is currently unavailable, and I guess it doesn't have an offline mode.

uPlay is working fine here in EU. It's probably a regional hiccup where you live. You can "go offline" from the main menu (button in the top left corner).

It seems to be up now. I have been trying to log in since yesterday to snag that free DLC. Going to www.ubisoft.com was fine, but uplay.ubisoft.com just had some little animated loading thing and never went anywhere. I tried from the Uplay client, but it just gave me the error that the service was unavailable and no way to go into offline mode. Now that I can log in, I can go offline, but that's stupid. What's the point of an offline mode if you have to go online to use it?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Ubisoft: Steam Business Model "Unrealistic"
12. Re: Ubisoft: Steam Business Model Aug 28, 2019, 12:29 MeanJim

Well Ubi, why don't you let other developers/publishers to sell their games on your store with a lower cut than Steam?

Also, is Ubisoft/Uplay down? I wasn't able to log yesterday and it's still down. I can neither get to ubisoft.com in a browser and Uplay client says the service is currently unavailable, and I guess it doesn't have an offline mode.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Interviews
4. Re: Sunday Interviews Aug 25, 2019, 21:31 MeanJim

Creston wrote on Aug 25, 2019, 15:22:
“What we try to do is ensure that this [DRM] should not impede a person,” he said. “We don’t want a situation where a person who pirated the game has an easier time than someone who bought the game legitimately. That’s kind of our litmus test, is that it can’t be in the way.”

Fancy words. Reality says that Denuvo does tend to get in the way, but hey, at least you guys tried, right? Rolleyes

Then using Denuvo is an immediate fail. I had several cases where Deus Ex: Mankind Divided wouldn't start thanks to Denuvo. The first was shortly after release when my internet was knocked out for several days and it couldn't phone home. There were a few other instances where it for some reason failed to phone home and wouldn't start. That was the first and last time I buy a game with Denuvo.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive
121. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 25, 2019, 03:07 MeanJim

jdreyer wrote on Aug 24, 2019, 03:37:
Okay, let's go through this.

Lego makes some cool Star Wars sets.
Gearbox makes Borderlands 3.

Walmart offers money to Lego to make some sets exclusive to their store.
Epic approaches 2K to make BL3 exclusive to their store on PC.

Lego accepts.
2K accepts.

Walmart sets are exclusive to their store in perpetuity.
Epic gets to sell BL3 exclusively for 1 year.

No one gives a shit about Walmart exclusives.
THE PC GAMING WORLD BLOWS UP AT EPIC EXCLUSIVES.

Seriously, anyone upset at Epic should also be pissed at Walmart. But no one cares about Walmart.

The one thing I'm sensitive to is when a dev has promised a game available on Steam, and pulls it. The Darq dev has a good point there. However, that has nothing to do with Epic. It's the dev's and/or publisher's decision. Be pissed at the devs and/or publishers for making these decisions.

1. I don't play with LEGOs anymore, so I don't even know about this.
B. I try to avoid shopping to Walmart, like I do Epic.
3. If I did play with LEGOs and I did buy their exclusive set, at least I wouldn't have to go to Walmart to play it.

MeanJim on Steam

114. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 23, 2019, 18:36 MeanJim

Beamer wrote on Aug 23, 2019, 10:32:
MeanJim wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 18:50:
Beamer wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 16:54:
The reality is, Friends is a paid-for exclusive. And it's far from the only one. You want to claim it was a 1st party? How about Community? Community aired on NBC, but it was produced by Sony. In later seasons, NBC had it for free, paying literally 0 dollars towards it. But, as a contingency, Sony could only air it there. It wasn't NBC first party, but NBC aired it exclusively. And now, it's on Hulu exclusively, as I cannot stream it under any other subscription.

Why are you bringing up where you can stream a stupid TV show into this topic? Those two things are not even in the same ball park. If you want to buy Friends on DVD/Bluray, you can buy it at Walmart, Amazon, BestBuy, etc. No one has exclusive rights to sell you Friends on disk.

If you want to buy it, but that's a different format. Much like if you want to buy Metro, you can. For PS4 and for Xbox. Different format. If you want to stream it, which is my preferred format for many reasons, it's exclusive.

Comparing streaming to buying games isn't even close. Not even apples to oranges close. It's more like comparing apples to rocks. If you want to buy Friends on Bluray format, you can go to any store that sells Bluray movies and buy it. If you want it on DVD instead, go to the same stores and buy it in that format. You can shop around and find the store with the best price and buy it there. I only game on PC. I don't even own a console. If I want to buy Metro on PC, I can only get it from EGS. How is this supposed to increase competition?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 23, 2019, 02:47 MeanJim

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 13:24:
False Memories

A guy I know said that President Obama stated he was going to take away firearms. I called bullshit and asked for the source.

He could neither find the quote or the source.
Hint: It's hard to find something that doesn't exist.

That was Trump: https://youtu.be/yxgybgEKHHI?t=42

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Hades on Steam This Year
5. Re: Hades on Steam This Year Aug 23, 2019, 02:34 MeanJim

Somehow I have not heard of this one. I do go to the Epic Game Store every week to pick up my freebie too. Shows how much publicity Epic is giving to indie devs.  

MeanJim on Steam

105. Re: Oddworld: Soulstorm an EGS Exclusive Aug 22, 2019, 18:50 MeanJim

Beamer wrote on Aug 22, 2019, 16:54:
The reality is, Friends is a paid-for exclusive. And it's far from the only one. You want to claim it was a 1st party? How about Community? Community aired on NBC, but it was produced by Sony. In later seasons, NBC had it for free, paying literally 0 dollars towards it. But, as a contingency, Sony could only air it there. It wasn't NBC first party, but NBC aired it exclusively. And now, it's on Hulu exclusively, as I cannot stream it under any other subscription.

Why are you bringing up where you can stream a stupid TV show into this topic? Those two things are not even in the same ball park. If you want to buy Friends on DVD/Bluray, you can buy it at Walmart, Amazon, BestBuy, etc. No one has exclusive rights to sell you Friends on disk.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. This Is A Very Surprising Announcement From Sony About PS5 Exclusives. Aug 22, 2019, 04:59 MeanJim

The barriers continue to come down, and it's good for video games. The old walled gardens are clearly not what players want right now, and that should theoretically mean more games for everyone to play wherever they are. I'm excited to see this narrative develop.

Wow, this is epic! PC games are getting store exclusives while consoles are moving away from exclusives.

MeanJim on Steam

3126 Comments. 157 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo