Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage https://steamcommunity.com/id/meanjim
Signed On May 30, 2003
Founding Supporter Yes, since February 25, 2020
Total Comments 3235 (Veteran)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Saints Row: The Third Remastered Announced

10. Re: Saints Row: The Third Remastered Announced Apr 6, 2020, 16:34  MeanJim 

It looks like they just threw on ReShade and called it a remaster.

Teddy wrote on Apr 6, 2020, 13:12:
That said, as someone who loved this game even I don't know that I care about a remaster. The graphics were never an issue in the first place.

That's pretty much what I was thinking as well. I had my fun with it and I don't see myself ever re-playing this, so I'm definitely not going to buy it. I might give it a look if it's free for owners of the original.

"As a species, we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room,
we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you
think we invented politics and religion?"
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Consolidation

5. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 30, 2020, 22:36  MeanJim 

Razumen wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 21:05:
jacobvandy wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 21:02:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 30, 2020, 20:31:
MS *not* using some proprietary technology they can charge up the wazoo for? I'm shocked.

Well, the alternative to changing AAs every couple dozen hours is to buy their rechargeable battery pack separately... That's an extra $20-25 for the current controller. It's worth it if you're planning to put at least a few hundred hours on it, compared to the cost of batteries, but other consoles include that functionality in the price of the controller.

Just get some rechargeable batteries, you'll recoup the costs quickly.

I was going to say the same thing. I haven't bought batteries in over a decade. I'm still using first generation low self-discharge NiMH batteries in everything. I have two 360 controllers, and I keep the extra battery cartridge with batteries in it so I can swap out quickly. I have some AA to D adapters that can take 1-3 AA batteries and be used in things that require D-cell batteries.

News Comments > Morning Multiplex

3. Re: Morning Multiplex Mar 20, 2020, 17:48  MeanJim 

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 17:14:
Wow, I had no idea that many people actually paid for Tetris.

I'm wondering if they're counting only official Tetris games or Tetris clones. The only Tetris I bought or played was the one for the Nintendo Game Boy.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 20, 2020, 17:21  MeanJim 

Cutter wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 12:23:
Really? I use those tiles for all the stuff I use/play all the time.

Same here. I pin stuff to the right side that I use often, but not often enough to put on the desktop or pin to the task bar.

Peeeling wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 12:33:
Nope. I don't even have shortcuts on the desktop. It's just quicker and easier to mash windows key/C/Return to launch chrome than it is to do it with a mouse.

You still have to use the mouse to use Chrome, so you have to count the time it takes to move from mouse to keyboard back to mouse. I start Firefox by clicking the Firefox icon pinned on the task bar, one mouse click is much faster than pressing three keys on the keyboard.

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 20, 2020, 13:02:
9 times out of 10 anyone who uses keyboard shortcuts will beat someone with a mouse. It pisses me off watching em do it.

It depends on the situation. As I mentioned above, using a browser requires using the mouse, so it doesn't seem faster to use the keyboard to start a browser when you have to use the mouse anyway. When using something like word processors, spread sheets, etc., keyboard shortcuts are the way to go since you're already typing. When I need to edit a spread sheet, or document, I press the WIN key, begin typing the name of the document, usually 1-3 characters is all I need, press enter and I'm already editing.

News Comments > Morning Patches

4. Re: Morning Patches Mar 19, 2020, 18:28  MeanJim 

You can polish a turd... but it's still a turd.  

News Comments > Wolcen Sells 1M

13. Re: Wolcen Sells 1M Mar 6, 2020, 10:03  MeanJim 

first four months after release will be dedicated to bug-fixing and polishing
Shouldn't they have done that four months before release?

bigspender wrote on Mar 5, 2020, 18:54:
It's not a good game at all. Combat is boring.

So basically your typical ARPG.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 2, 2020, 22:54  MeanJim 

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2020, 19:16:
No it's not. Drones should be regulated and monitored. Stops pedos and all other manner of criminals from using them.

I guess we should also put back doors in encryption so the government can make sure no one is has anything illegal to hide.

News Comments > etc.

1. 20 women in gaming you should know… Mar 2, 2020, 13:27  MeanJim 

Why? I don't even know 20 men in gaming.  

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 2, 2020, 13:17  MeanJim 

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 2, 2020, 11:24:
Does anyone know if this comment is true.

It's true. You're not required to have a transponder or radio to fly in un-controlled airspace (and in some cases controlled air space), but anti-collision lights are required after sunset, even to taxi on the ground.

News Comments > Morning Interviews

1. Re: Morning Interviews Feb 25, 2020, 15:00  MeanJim 

Simply called Dark Alliance the game is set to bring back the focus on fact-paced action-RPG combat set in the Dungeons & Dragons universe.

Fact-paced? Is this some new political RPG genre?

News Comments > Out of the Blue

85. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2020, 05:48  MeanJim 

Blue wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 15:11:
As far as I can tell, the percentage they take goes down as the amount goes up, so one-time is probably the answer.

But we are hoping to be sustainable here, which is an advantage of the monthly option. I certainly didn't anticipate lump pledges being such a popular option. Is it going to seem annoying or to be bad form to email such supporters when the term of their pledge is ending?

That's good to know. Although I do all my banking and billing online, I still prefer to do it manually. That way I know when it's done and am not surprised by an auto-draft I forgot about.

As for your question, which I didn't see anyone else answer, I personally wouldn't mind a reminder in a year. Either an email or a notice on the site or both.

News Comments > Op Ed

10. Re: Op Ed Feb 22, 2020, 20:26  MeanJim 

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 22, 2020, 15:52:
I haven't bought a single game in my "epic" library, aside from BL3. Numbers mean nothing. Let's see where store sits in 2 years.

I haven't bought a single game from Epic because they haven't done anything to attract me to their store as a consumer. They've bribed publishers to pull their games from other stores and make them exclusive to EGS, and that takes away my choice as to where I buy from. If instead throwing money at publishers for exclusives, they put that money into making a service that is attractive to consumers and offers better services, lower prices, etc. than their competition, I would have no problem with them. I still, and always will, prefer GOG or itch.io because they are DRM free.

With my growing back log of games, I have no problem waiting for the exclusive period to end since I have no shortage of games to play. I suppose in a way, Epic has done me a favor, because by the time the games get released on other stores, they'll be cheaper, patched and complete.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions

1. How to Make Billions in E-Sports Feb 20, 2020, 13:35  MeanJim 

Start with trillions?  

News Comments > Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week

24. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 22:39  MeanJim 

Cutter wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 17:06:
No, it's the exact opposite of that. Older fans prefer TBC and hate RTWP. And Larian has shown how to do TBC right. No TBC is why I'm not backin the new Pathfinder game.

There is a mod that makes the combat turn based. Someone here recommended it, and I will definitely be using that whenever I get around to playing it. It looks like their new game is going to have both turn based and RTWP.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 17:22:
Meh, it's probably 50/50 on people who want TBC vs RTWP. I loved the RTWP in BG1 and BG2 especially, but yes, Pathfinder:Kingmaker did NOT work well with RTWP. Mostly because towards the end of the game some enemies had complete bullshit 10 attacks a round with stuns and other nonsense.

However BG3 turns out though, I'll most likely be fine with it. D:OS2 turn based and Larian's engine was great, but if they want to go traditional BG series RTWP I'll still love it. Just pause more if you need to.

I hate RTWP. I like to play my games, not watch them play themselves. The auto-pause options are the only thing that makes RTWP barely tolerable, otherwise I'd most likely not play it, or put it on the lowest difficulty and let it play itself but only if the story were good enough.

The only reason RPGs went real time (with pause) is because of Diablow. After Diablo came out, everyone thought they had to with real-time combat because Diablow was a hit with ADHD gamers. There was an interview with Larian a while back where they talked about how the original Divinity game had a tactical, turn based combat similar to what Original Sin has. When Diablo came out right before Divinity was going to release, the publisher delayed it and made them switch it to a real-time system, so they had to dumb down the combat to make it work in real time.

I recently bought the enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter on GOG. I bought the Enhanced Edition of Planescape: Torment on GOG on sale for $5 a while back, and then a few weeks ago, they sent out a code to owners offering 85% off the other Enhanced Editions. That made them only $3 each, so I figured why the hell not. I just wanted to check it out and loaded BG1EE, created a character and played the first few hours. I had forgotten how frustrating the combat is in those games, and it gets more frustrating as your party grows. When I get around to playing it through, I'm probably going to turn the difficulty down, set AI behaviors on party members and just control my character.

I guess I've been spoiled by playing Pillars of Eternity, which has better options for auto pause, and a better interface that make RTWP more tolerable because it can be set up to play almost like a turn-based combat system. I can't wait to play Pillars 2 in turn-based mode.

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 21:47:
Even more so because the game I original didn't back because no turn based mode. Will have an optional turn base mode that you can toggle in and out of at will (which is the literal best of all worlds)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2755596

I'm glad to hear that a turn based mode will be in the game this time. I might back this one now. Once they get it working, It would be nice if they go back and add it to the first game like Obsidian did with Pillars 2, or they could put it in as a beta patch for the first game for people test it and fine tune before a final release in both games.

News Comments > GTA IV Returning to Steam Next Month Without Multiplayer

3. Re: GTA IV Returning to Steam Next Month Without Multiplayer Feb 19, 2020, 14:33  MeanJim 

I thought MP died for this when GFWL shut down. I think I played GTA IV MP once. Wasn't it just deathmatch? I don't remember there being as much to do as in GTA V. Just like GTA V, it was full of cheaters. Every server I tried joining had someone cheating or messing with stuff. One was kind of funny though when all of the NPCs turned into invincible hookers with assault rifles and rocket launchers.

I have disk versions of these. I don't remember having to activate them. I only remember having to enter the key to play MP.

Games not previously activated using Games for Windows Live will be able to use the Key on the back of the game manual to activate and update to Grand Theft Auto IV: Complete Edition

Are they saying you can use your physical disk's key to activate the game on Steam if it wasn't activated on GFWL? I'm pretty sure I never activated my EFLC key, and possibly my current copy of GTA IV. My original GTA IV disk was destroyed when my DVD drive crapped out and decided to spin up to full speed and eject it. I bought it again later when it was dirt cheap, and I don't think I ever used it to play online.

News Comments > Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week

8. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 13:57  MeanJim 

Please be turn based, and release on GOG.  

News Comments > Morning Previews

2. Re: Morning Previews Feb 18, 2020, 18:24  MeanJim 

I did the same thing. I thought I misread the title here, but when I clicked back, it definitely says cars here.  

News Comments > Op Ed

8. Re: Op Ed Feb 18, 2020, 14:22  MeanJim 

A company should stand by their product and support it with fixes when need be.

Bethesda... fixing bugs... Laugh Laugh2 Mwahaha Lol_dies

9. Re: Foldable phones are still struggling in durability tests. Feb 18, 2020, 05:31  MeanJim 

Beamer wrote on Feb 17, 2020, 22:01:
I can't imagine no internet on the go.

And, sadly, my company can't imagine me not being reachable via email anywhere.

That's the best thing about it. I can get away from the Internet and do other shit, and if people want to contact me, they have to call and talk to me.

7. Foldable phones are still struggling in durability tests. Feb 17, 2020, 21:12  MeanJim 

My foldable phone is still going strong. I've dropped it more times than I count. I don't know how many years I've had it, but the battery still holds up. I only have to charge it once a week with normal use, twice a week if I use it a lot.  

3235 Comments. 162 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >