Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage https://steamcommunity.com/id/meanjim
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2866 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 21, 2018, 15:11 MeanJim

If the box had a USB drive with the drivers on it, you'd have been fine still. I've never used the driver DVD that came with a motherboard. I always get drivers from the source before installing the OS.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Previews
2. Re: Evening Previews May 17, 2018, 13:41 MeanJim

What are you using? I'm using uBlock + Ghostery and it loaded the site just fine.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. May 9, 2018, 21:26 MeanJim

jdreyer wrote on May 9, 2018, 13:32:
Now explain why people with 500 hours in-game leave bad reviews.

Because quantity doesn't make quality.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Mobilization
4. Re: Sunday Mobilization May 6, 2018, 16:09 MeanJim

PC Gamers know better than to trust Microsoft.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Survey Win7 Error Fixed
7. Re: Steam Survey Win7 Error Fixed May 6, 2018, 04:32 MeanJim

Cyber cafes are still a thing?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Free Mini Ninjas
7. Re: Free Mini Ninjas May 3, 2018, 00:51 MeanJim

Acleacius wrote on May 2, 2018, 22:44:
Fyi, just checked 'is there any deal' it's been on Steam for $1.49 and as mentioned positive reviews. I don't use SE service but might get it on Steam during some sale.

It's a free Steam key.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
27. Re: etc., etc. May 3, 2018, 00:40 MeanJim

While I don't agree that we'll never have a cure for cancer or other things as long as medicine is for-profit based, it will take longer. There is still non-profit medical researcher being done, mostly at colleges and universities.

Beamer wrote on May 2, 2018, 10:56:
And hey, why did doctors invent LASIK, which cures many vision issues, when they could have kept patients coming in and needing to get new glasses every 1-3 years?

LASIK isn't a cure, it's a profit maker. I had LASIK done when I was 23. I wasn't told at the time that it will eventually reverse as you age, but if I had known that I would still have had it done. Also, back then my insurance didn't cover it, I paid out of pocket for it. I don't know if it's covered these days. All I know is my insurance doesn't cover preventative things like routine dental cleaning and eye exams, but it does cover dental and vision medical procedures.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. May 1, 2018, 20:27 MeanJim

He's only 33! I thought he was a lot older than that. Damn, that's way too young to go. Fuck cancer.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
5. Re: Evening Legal Briefs May 1, 2018, 20:15 MeanJim

At this point, with almost every state enacting its own net neutrality legislation, I bet the phone/cable co.'s that paid off the FCC would rather have the old rules back. I wonder if it would be for this to go to the courts and get overturned there rather than congress restoring things.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
9. Sysadmin unplugged wrong server, ran away, hoped nobody noticed. Apr 23, 2018, 21:35 MeanJim

I had a couple of those moments, but nothing as drastic as that. I worked at a small dial-up ISP, run by a cheap ass. I was the sysadmin, webmaster and tech support. I was literally the only employee. He owned another business and had his secretary there doing the paperwork and book keeping for both businesses. The guy he had set everything up had it running Linux (Redhat 2.x when I started), but because the owner couldn't understand Linux, he wanted to migrate over to Windows NT because he was familiar with it and probably thought he would be able to run things. Later when he found out how much that would cost, he decided to stick with Linux.

We hosted a couple of other server's for local businesses. Our equipment, the modems, router, portmasters, etc. were on a rack which was kept neat and clean, but the desk with the servers was a mess. The desk had two monitors, keyboards and mice on it and the servers were under the desk. One monitor, keyboard and mouse was only for use on our main server and the other would plugged into the others if needed, but was usually on the NT server since I was in the process of setting it up.

Someone came up there and plugged the second monitor and keyboard into one of the other servers, but only put the monitor back on the NT server and forgot to move the keyboard back. I come in and try to log into the NT server (CTRL-ALT-DEL) and nothing happened. I thought the POS had locked up, so I reset it. It rebooted, I hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to log in again and nothing. About that time, the phone rings and it's the owner of one of the other servers asking me why I keep rebooting his server. His server also ran Redhat Linux, which by default would restart when CTRL-ALT-DEL was pressed (he disabled shortly after). He just happened to be logged in remotely at the time and saw it get rebooted twice.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Announcing 1.1.1.1: the fastest, privacy-first consumer DNS service Apr 2, 2018, 16:01 MeanJim

It seems 1.1.1.1 is down, but 1.0.0.1 is working. I switched my router to them (previously using OpenDNS) and it does seem slightly faster though.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Unread posts? Mar 23, 2018, 18:00 MeanJim

I was messing around with Firefox's tab containers yesterday and trying to figure out how to clear cookies only from one container (which I never did), and ended up clearing all cookies instead. Now after logging back in here, I don't see a * next to new posts anymore. Is there a setting for it that I've missed?

Edit: I guess I just needed to post something because as soon as I posted this, they showed up.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Get Lethal League for Free
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 23, 2018, 17:53 MeanJim

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 17:26:
Luke wrote on Mar 23, 2018, 16:45:
ITS allllll free ye just need to install our spyware..thats it.

They do the exact same thing Humble Bundle does. Are they the devil too?

Keep in mind that linking your steam account became a requirement at these sites because of scammers and people unloading keys from these sales onto 3rd party key seller sites. Linking of a steam account and applying the freebie only to that account fixed many of the loopholes being used by these scammers.

After linking your account, it still gives you a Steam key. I don't know what (if anything) it checks before giving you the key.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 22, 2018, 23:15 MeanJim

I just bought a couple of CD's from Amazon yesterday. It was cheaper to buy the CD, and it comes with the digital auto-rip. It was $5 for the CD, and $10 for the digital only version.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Kerbal Expands
11. Re: Kerbal Expands Mar 14, 2018, 22:10 MeanJim

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 08:21:
The April cutoff is when the game launched Early Access on Steam. Before April you could only buy it via their website and that included a line saying "includes all future content" unlike the steam early access version. I think it's actually incredibly decent of Take 2 to remember this promise.

That would make sense. I had never heard of it before I saw someone on my Steam friends list playing it. I took a look at the store page for it and instantly bought it.

Numinar wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 05:16:
Those mods are awesome, no frame rate issue with scatterer, though I don't turn on all the features. (being mods and not QA'd game features, almost all have settings/sliders that allow you to wreck your game).

SVE recommended using it with Scatterer. With the default settings for Scatterer I could get 144 FPS everywhere, but only got 30 FPS on the launch pad with a 3-part rocket. I tried tweaking the options, but it didn't seem to improve the frame rate.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Kerbal Expands
4. Re: Kerbal Expands Mar 14, 2018, 01:52 MeanJim

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 20:27:
Hey, gotta hand it to them, bought it April 2013 and thus got my expansion for free.

When they announced this I remember reading that early adopters would get it and future DLC for free. I bought it in when it was alpha version 0.20, so I thought anyone that bought it during the alpha or early access would qualify as an early adopter. I didn't know about the April 2013 cutoff until this morning. I checked my Steam account and saw I missed the April cutoff by a little over a month. What was so special about April 2013? I'm going to pick it up anyway, not cry and throw a tantrum like people are doing on the forums.

I paid less than $15 for the game during the alpha and I've gotten more than my money's worth out of it, so they've earned another $15 from me. I played the crap out of it up until Beta, then came back at 1.0 and started a new career, but the bugs and memory and leaks in that release combined with the crap ton of mods I had installed began causing crashes once I had a few missions going. I came back to it again after 1.2, but I never started a career game because I was waiting on some mods to get updated. While waiting, patches kept coming which kept delaying mods, and I eventually moved on to other things.

I was getting ready to fire it up again and finally get into a career game. I was installing mods and making sure everything was just right when they announced the expansion, so I decided I might as well hold off for it.

I watched the Twitch release stream this morning. They mentioned that with the changes made with 1.4, that it should reduce breaking mods with every minor release, so here's hoping once the mods I want to use catch up, I'll finally get to play through a career.

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 20:27:
Also makes you realize how incredibly stupid slow the games development has been. The takeover by whoever took over, I kinda already forgot, seems to be absolutely a good thing, now to revamp the god awful planet graphics and maybe add some actual things to discover on the planets...

Take 2 took over as publisher, but I believe Squad still owns the IP. I remember people dropping negative reviews on KSP when Take 2 forced the shutdown of some GTA V mods, which sadly some are still there. When I fired it up this morning, my first time since 1.4 release, it had a logo for some company called Private Division during loading. I looked them up and it's a new publishing co. formed by Take 2 for helping indie and small developers. Recently there was a lot of whining over the new EULA, which nobody ever reads anyway.

It's only been 2 years since its official release. It was in development for a long time before that though. I remember there was a bit of drama a while back and a lot of devs left. There's a pretty much a whole new team now, and they're located all over the world. It's not a typical team sitting in an office working on the game 9-5, they're scattered all over the world.

I also wish they would add stock weather/clouds and shaders. The mod I previously used for clouds (EVE I think) has been merged into a new one called Stock Visual Enhancements and Stock Visual Terrain (SVE and SVT for short). I've tried Scatterer, and it looks great, but it tanks the frame rate so hard when on the surface of a planet. I used SVE and SVT for clouds and better terrain, Texture replacer to change out the ugly ass default skybox, and Distant Object Enhancement to make the game look better.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Mar 9, 2018, 19:05 MeanJim

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 17:49:
What kind of prison? better not be one of those country clubs...

Hopefully it's a "federal, pound-me-in-the-ass prison."

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
2. Re: Cord-cutters are basically killing satellite TV Mar 3, 2018, 16:49 MeanJim

Satellite TV (and Cable) are killing themselves. People are cutting the cord as a result.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 1, 2018, 19:10 MeanJim

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 16:41:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 1, 2018, 10:09:
Bleachbit, good enough for Hillary, good enough for me.
If you tell it to it can clean up all the extra installers and redistributables in steam that tag along with game installs. ( VC++'s, direct x's, etc.; use with caution) Good for freeing up space.

You can do that much quicker with Steam Cleaner

Works with non-steam games too.

The only problem is that Steam re-downloads them if the game gets an update or you have to verify the game files.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Top 10
12. Re: Steam Top 10 Feb 25, 2018, 19:17 MeanJim

Dev wrote on Feb 25, 2018, 15:10:
All Walls must fall
http://store.steampowered.com/app/628290/

This looks like an interesting indie game that just released out of beta, version 1.0
Has 100% ratings and is on sale for only $7

That does look interesting. It also looks familiar. Was this on Kickstarter or something? I swear I've seen it somewhere before. I wonder if it will be on the Humble Store before the promotion runs out because I've got some credit there and 10% off from buying last months Monthly bundle.

MeanJim on Steam

2866 Comments. 144 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo