Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage https://steamcommunity.com/id/meanjim
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 3071 (Veteran)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Steam Top 10
3. Re: Steam Top 10 Jul 14, 2019, 19:42 MeanJim

CAPS are back.  

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month
17. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 14, 2019, 05:46 MeanJim

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 08:46:
MeanJim wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 08:05:
I kind of felt shafted after going in for the physical collectors edition and only getting a standard edition key.

Wow, that's lame but rather typical for inXile. CE backers are scum level lepers to them apparently. It was similar with Torment where CE backers also got the short end of the stick when it came to beta access, their weird reward points system and when it turned out that the retail CE was actually much nicer than the "exclusive" backer CE and so on.

To inXile's credit: I did receive a full refund of my TToN CE pledge a few weeks before the release date when I got fed up with their continuous bullshit.

It's also why I did not back BT4 but got a key on the cheap for €11.39 last November. That seems like a pretty good deal now with the free DC.

They didn't do that on previous projects. I backed Wasteland 2 and TToN at the physical collectors editions and for both of those I got two keys which were for the highest tier of the game (one backer key from the backer site, for which I picked GOG and one Steam key inside the physical box).

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
2. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 13, 2019, 08:38 MeanJim

Since when were Republicans pro-regulation?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Interviews
7. Re: Evening Interviews Jul 13, 2019, 08:10 MeanJim

Mordhaus wrote on Jul 12, 2019, 22:24:
Acleacius wrote on Jul 12, 2019, 22:08:
Thank Capitalism for loopholes to hide huge sums of cash, for arrogant self-serving delusional assholes. Otherwise that money might end up in the public's pocketbook and be spend on useless things like food, health care, education and making the world a better place. Middlefinger Flamethrower

Even though I am not a fan of how Epic is building their store, we can dispense with that right now. This is cash they earned through their business surprise mechanics, they didn't take it out of anyone's monetary pool that might fund the stuff you listed. It wasn't like someone was sitting at their computer going "Hmm, I could send this money to the needy or I could buy something on Fortnite a surprise. What to do?"

FTFY

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month
12. Re: The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Next Month Jul 13, 2019, 08:05 MeanJim

El Pit wrote on Jul 13, 2019, 01:35:
If you already own the game on PC when the Director’s Cut arrives, you’ll receive the update for free with the game’s release on August 27, and it will show up as a new product in your games library listed as The Bard’s Tale IV: Director’s Cut. For the digital Director’s Cut we’re making the choice for new purchasers much clearer with new Standard and Deluxe Edition. Because the Director's Cut is a free upgrade for current owners, anyone who owns the base game will receive the Director’s Cut Standard, and those who own a current license for the Premium, Platinum, or Ultimate versions will be granted the Deluxe Edition.

Straight from the kickstarter mail I received as a backer of this game.

There's also this:
For our backers who may have retrieved digital rewards through CrowdOx before, you will be receiving The Bard's Tale IV: Director's Cut Deluxe Edition and all your digital items will now be tied to your Steam/GOG accounts.

I kind of felt shafted after going in for the physical collectors edition and only getting a standard edition key.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. The Awesome Bowling Robot Is Surely Fake. Here's How to Tell. Jul 11, 2019, 02:21 MeanJim

They could have saved themselves a lot of time and just read the video description. It literally say at the bottom of the video:
Disclaimer: Not real.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway
18. Re: Steam Summer Sale Concludes With Giveaway Jul 9, 2019, 17:30 MeanJim

Saboth wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 15:13:
Acleacius wrote on Jul 9, 2019, 12:30:
It seemed like the weakest deals of any Steam Summer Sales I can recall.

No doubt. I did not buy one single game. I bought 2 games from
Fanatical. They had the same prices as the Steam Sale versions, but Fanatical gave me a 10% off and 15% off coupon that I could use.

Don't think there's ever been a steam sale where I didn't buy a game.I used to spend $50 or $100+, but that's back when you'd get 75, 80, 90% off most games.

I'm still used to waiting until the last day to make Steam sale purchases. I checked my waitlist on ITAD last night and only bought two $2 games. The rest of the games actually had better discounts during the spring sale.

I think Steam has realized that they've conditioned people to wait for summer and winter sales because that's usually when the better discounts happen and usually accompanied by some sort of event with cards or other rewards. I know the past few years I have only bought games from Steam during the summer and winter sales. Maybe they're trying to break that habit by having better deals during spring and fall sales and removing the cards from the summer and winter sales. Between Steam sales, I only buy Steam keys from Humble, GMG, etc.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Hint?
4. Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 PC Hint? Jul 4, 2019, 16:56 MeanJim

I'm not buying anymore RockStar games unless they decouple the single player from their bullshit Social Club. I occasionally fire up GTA V to blow off steam. Apparently the "remember me" option doesn't actually remember shit, so every fucking time I have to log in and complete a captcha or two before I can play the damn game.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Crowdfunding
1. Re: Evening Crowdfunding Jul 4, 2019, 01:45 MeanJim

Why does Canon need to crowdfund anything?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Bathwater Jul 3, 2019, 16:12 MeanJim

Cutter wrote on Jul 3, 2019, 12:16:
I came across a random once of some webcam chick who makes gummies out of her pee and sells them.

And just how did you happen to come across this? Inquisitive I can't imagine what you would be searching for that would have you accidentally come across someone selling urine gummy bears.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup
8. Re: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super and RTX 2060 Super Review Roundup Jul 2, 2019, 12:50 MeanJim

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jul 2, 2019, 10:47:
Verno wrote on Jul 2, 2019, 10:07:
Meh I think I'll wait for Ampere. The 2060S/2070S seem like good bang for the buck, the 2060S is great at its price point and the 2070S beats the 2080 in many benchmarks. But I've already got a 1080ti so /shrug. It's interesting that they basically discontinued the older ones entirely except for the binned 2060 with 6GB which is a pretty poor value now IMO. Be interesting to see the 2080S reviews.

I've been holding onto my 980 Ti as my systems bottleneck for a couple years now.. Debating just doing a 2070S for now and then upgrading to the next 2180 or whatever it'll be called on release.

I'm in a similar situation, but I've got a 970. I generally skip a generation or two of GPUs. When I built my new system, I didn't need to upgrade the GPU at the time. The GTX 10x0 had just come out and my 970 was only about a year old, so I was waiting on what came after that. Then my monitor crapped out and I splurged on a 1440p 144Hz screen. I regretted not picking up a 1080Ti because shortly after that prices skyrocketed because of the Bitcoin bullshit.

I'm debating on picking up a 20X0 or waiting. I don't think there are any new games coming out until 2020 that I will actually need it for, unless I want to go back and replay a game that the 970 can't handle at 1440p.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 1, 2019, 16:04 MeanJim

That's because games (and other entertainment) distracts people from seeing that the government has become corrupt and is screwing them over. If they were to interrupt something people care about, people might start to notice the other ways their corrupt government is screwing them over.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
1. New electric cars in Europe have to make artificial noises. Jul 1, 2019, 15:58 MeanJim

As of July 1st, new four-wheeled EV models in the European Union require a noise-emitting device (Acoustic Vehicle Alert System, or AVAS) that kicks in whenever the vehicle is driving below 19km/h (12MPH).

This doesn't seem very well thought out. It's just going to make people speed up to where it shuts it off, potentially making things worse.

Newer cars, even with combustion engines, are very quiet at low speeds, so quiet that the only noise you hear is the sound the tires are making rolling on the pavement. I would like to see a noise comparison of a typical modern car with a combustion engine vs. an electric car at the same speeds.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Interviews
5. Re: Morning Interviews Jul 1, 2019, 15:23 MeanJim

Steam takes 30% of revenue from the majority of games on its platform -- just like platforms operated by Microsoft, Sony, Apple and others. However, Wester suggested that the 70/30 split was based on a model established by Warner Bros. in the '70s, for the distribution of films on boxed VHS tapes.

"That was physical. It cost a lot of money," he said. "This doesn't cost anything.

I didn't realize Valve was getting free electricity, bandwidth, etc. and all of their employees were volunteers.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
8. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jun 30, 2019, 12:17 MeanJim

eRe4s3r wrote on Jun 29, 2019, 23:08:
But yeah, I wonder what happens when Amazon ever goes offline...

I thought Amazon and Apple both stopped using DRM in their ebooks.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Microsoft is about to shut off its ebook DRM servers Jun 29, 2019, 22:14 MeanJim

Another reason not to buy shit with DRM, or from Microsoft. This is why I will never buy from the Microsoft store. When GFWL didn't work out, they shut that down, and anyone that bought software through it lost it. Now they're shutting down their DRM book store. At least this time they're giving refunds, but wouldn't it be cheaper to just remove the DRM and let people keep what they bought?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Amazon's Counter package pickup comes to the US via Rite Aid. Jun 27, 2019, 16:24 MeanJim

I thought Rite Aid went out of business? All of their stores in my city closed down or were bought/converted to Walgreens or CVS stores.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > GOG Galaxy 2.0 Closed Beta
7. Re: GOG Galaxy 2.0 Closed Beta Jun 25, 2019, 10:44 MeanJim

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 24, 2019, 21:37:
It's still spyware galore since they will get access to tons of account and statistical data of your linked accounts (you know, basically the exact same stuff people ripped Epic a new one over but since it's GOG people are cool with it apparently).

It's not even close to the same thing. Epic accessed data without your permission. With GOG, you have to give permission by signing in through Steam to link your account. Not to mention this is all optional. You can still use it only for your GOG games/account and not link any other accounts.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
3. Re: Goodbye, Chrome: Google’s web browser has become spy software Jun 22, 2019, 16:06 MeanJim

Hasn't Chrome always been spyware?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
2. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jun 22, 2019, 16:04 MeanJim

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 22, 2019, 13:47:
Bleachbit can delete all those duplicate installers from your Steam Library. Make sure you read and understand the risks/requirements.
https://www.bleachbit.org/ also for pc
https://www.bleachbit.org/download/mac

The only problem with doing that is that if the game gets updated, it will re-download that crap. Steam has had common redist support in the client for over a year now, but I don't know if individual games need to be updated by the devs to support it or if Valve can do it.

MeanJim on Steam

3071 Comments. 154 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo