Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description
Homepage https://steamcommunity.com/id/meanjim
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2893 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc., etc.
12. Re: etc., etc. Aug 10, 2018, 23:38 MeanJim

NKD wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 13:50:
Does Denuvo have any phone-home that can break? I don't recall hearing that it does but I don't pay much attention.

Denuvo can't work without phoning home. It has to phone home to verify the game's exe periodically. The time between phoning home is set by the publisher though. It can be either every X number of launches, or time based, like checking once a day/week/month, etc. Hardware and OS changes also force a phone home check, and even Windows updates cause it to phone home. If you happen to not have internet when this check is required, you get an error and the game won't launch.

That is what happened to me for the first and last Denuvo infected game I bought. I bought Deus Ex: Mankind Divided at launch to have something new to play on my newly built PC. Shortly after, some storms damaged my ISP's equipment leaving me without internet for a few days, and I got that error when I tried to play it.

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 11:25:
I think the difference is in the intrusiveness or lack thereof. You literally can not tell whether a game has Denuvo or not. It is not even DRM actually. It is anti-tamper. It just sits there and guards the executable against tampering.
Unless you specifically look it up online, you'd never know if a game even comes with Denuvo or not.

You can tell. If it's a single player and you block it with a firewall or try to play the game without an internet connection, it will give an error because it can't connect to the Denuvo server and verify that the exe hasn't been tampered with.

CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 11:25:
The real DRM that people used to be pissed off about was much more intrusive and people claimed it "made you jump through hoops" (even if there was just a one-click online activation but whatever...).
You had to have the disc in the drive, you had to register an account and irrevocably tie your game to that account (Steam/Origin/uPlay etc.) DRM or activate a game online by connecting to the publisher's activation servers, you had machine installation/activation limits, yada, yada, yada...

Denuvo is in that category. A single player game should never require an internet connection. Having Denuvo in the game means it requires an internet connection. If your internet goes out or Denuvo goes down, the game quits working.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Saturday Patches
1. GTA Online: After Hours - Tale Of Us Residency and Los Santos Underground Radio Now Available Aug 4, 2018, 15:39 MeanJim

Until the license expires and the patch it out of the game.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
8. Massachusetts proposes net neutrality law to call out bad ISPs. Jul 30, 2018, 01:38 MeanJim

Do ISPs even feel shame?  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
2. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 29, 2018, 12:07 MeanJim

I've noticed Firefox using less memory after recent updates. I just leave Firefox running all the time, put my system to sleep and reboot only when Windows Updates need installing. After 2-3 days Firefox used to get sluggish, and looking at memory usage, it would be 10+ GB!. Restarting and restoring my session, it would go down to 1-2GB. It's been running about 2 weeks now without getting sluggish and needing a restart, and currently sitting about 2GB.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Windows 10 will use machine learning to install system updates at the right time. Jul 26, 2018, 10:57 MeanJim

They could save themselves a lot of trouble and let me decide when is the right time to update my computer.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
3. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 23, 2018, 13:53 MeanJim

Nintendo is suing for copyright infringement, trademark infringement, and unfair competition, with the lawsuit potentially worth millions of dollars in damages.

Unfair competition? I was unaware Nintendo was selling ROMs and emulators of their old consoles.

MeanJim on Steam

8. Re: $700 for a license plate Jul 2, 2018, 17:11 MeanJim

The device also contains an RFID and GPS chip that allow me to see where my car is at any given moment

Correction, it allows you to see where your license plate is.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
11. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 2, 2018, 01:41 MeanJim

YourNick wrote on Jul 2, 2018, 00:41:
Anything >80F & >40hum is bad! I found a heat index chart showing just how bad considering the combination of the two
https://www.weather.gov/safety/heat-index
106F 40hum is borderline extreme danger!

Nah, that's night time temps here. Right now it's 79F @ 94% humidity. During the summer, humidity is usually 80%+ with temps in the upper 90's.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Sunday Tech Bits
2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Jul 1, 2018, 17:17 MeanJim

I still have an old MS IntelliMouse in my computer junk drawer. It's the white one with 4 buttons and the red LED on the back. It still worked when I put it in there.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > QuakeCon 2018 Registration
4. Re: QuakeCon 2018 Registration Jun 30, 2018, 19:41 MeanJim

It costs $75 for the BYOC now? That used to be free. They had limited pre-registration and for those that missed it could still show up and wait in line. I did the BYOC a couple of times, with as many people there, you might as well be playing on the internet.

Is that QuakeCon air freshener supposed to smell like the QuakeCon BYOC room on day 3, or is it to put at your table to hide your day 3 stank?

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Life is Strange 2 Tie-in Demo
3. Re: Life is Strange 2 Tie-in Demo Jun 26, 2018, 14:27 MeanJim

Denuvo in a free game? Thanks, but no thanks.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
25. Re: Into the Black Jun 19, 2018, 15:18 MeanJim

Your total spent has always been available on your Account Details page. The two totals seem to differ though. The External Funds page says I've spent $1,024.33, but the Account Data shows 1,100.40. I think Account Data is including funds from items you've sold on the Steam Market. That would mean the difference is what I "earned" from selling crap on the Steam Market, but I doubt I've sold $76.07 worth of crap on the Steam Market. The Steam Market page usually shows how much you've spent and how much you've sold and a net spent total, but right now it's showing $0.00 for everything.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
6. Re: etc., etc. Jun 16, 2018, 15:09 MeanJim

DarkCntry wrote on Jun 15, 2018, 22:53:
Creston wrote on Jun 15, 2018, 22:29:
How the fuck are there people so fucking sad that "Achievement farming" is a goddamned THING???

It's no different than leaderboards, or other "Top" player lists.

At least with leader boards or top player lists, you have to do something. These achievement farming games give you achievements without doing anything. I guess people want their participation trophies.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 14, 2018, 20:23 MeanJim

That's kind of stupid to remove the recycle bin, because it's easy to hide all desktop icons if you need to for a presentation or whatever: right click the desktop, go to View and uncheck "Show desktop icons." I think that's been there since Windows 95.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Steam Ending Windows XP and Vista Support
26. Re: Steam Ending Windows XP and Vista Support Jun 13, 2018, 22:13 MeanJim

MattyC wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 04:46:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 04:00:
Kajetan wrote on Jun 13, 2018, 01:31:
StingingVelvet wrote on Jun 12, 2018, 22:19:
Fallout 3 runs fine on Win7+, that's a ghost story.
It's not. There are problems with Win7+. GOG uses a fan fix for their version of Fallout 3 to ensure maximum compatability.

FO3 GOTY Steam version with the unofficial patch and NMC texture pack from the Nexus has been working absolutely flawless for me on Windows 10 (zero issues or crashes) and it also looks absolutely spectacular.

I will be sure to angrily suggest that to my Steam copy of Fallout 3 which doesn't work at all next time I try to play it...

I have no idea what might have changed, but the regular Fallout 3 that is on Steam crashes more than any game I have ever owned. FO3 was given out for free on the 360 which works fine (at least as far as I have tested it), so I guess if I ever want to play it again that is the route I will go.

The problem is Fallout 3 doesn't like it if your CPU has more than 2 cores/threads. Quad core CPUs started becoming common around the same time as Windows 7 was gaining users and it got attributed to being Windows 7's fault. It's a simple fix, change a couple of lines in the Fallout.ini.
bUseThreadedAI=1
iNumHWThreads=2

MeanJim on Steam

14. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 12, 2018, 02:56 MeanJim

Creston wrote on Jun 11, 2018, 17:41:
MeanJim wrote on Jun 11, 2018, 16:29:
What's fucked up is my internet was out this morning. Something caused my cable modem to completely lock up, which has never happened before. Unplugging it and plugging it back in, it re-connected just fine though, so I have no idea what happened. According to my router's log, it looks like it went out between 3am and 4am.

Power blip? Happens pretty often to my router. If the power just blips, my router freezes up.

All of my network equipment is plugged into a UPS, so is the ISP's. My connection stays up about 2 hours when the power goes out when the ISP's batteries run out.

We've had our fair share of bad weather and power "blips" recently, but the weather was calm overnight. And like I said, this has never happened before. I can always access the modem's status and logs pages, but it wasn't responding to that. It wasn't assigning an IP address over DHCP either, it was just completely frozen.

This is my 4th cable modem (2nd one I've owned). The first one's ethernet port got fried when lightning struck near the house. The replacement never had any problems until I bought my own when my contract was up and they started charging a rental fee. I had that one about 10 years with no problems out of it either. I replaced it because it was DOCSIS 1.1, and they've upgraded to DOCSIS 2/3.

I just thought it was odd that the day net neutrality expired, I wake up with no internet. I can't imagine the ISP was up doing maintenance at 3-4am that would cause the modem to freeze up.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jun 11, 2018, 16:29 MeanJim

What's fucked up is my internet was out this morning. Something caused my cable modem to completely lock up, which has never happened before. Unplugging it and plugging it back in, it re-connected just fine though, so I have no idea what happened. According to my router's log, it looks like it went out between 3am and 4am.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 5, 2018, 22:44 MeanJim

Cutter wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 13:51:
Mr. Tact wrote on Jun 5, 2018, 12:55:
I think that truck driver himself might have been distracted. He doesn't start slowing down until after he's hit the horn...

My sentiment exactly. Looking at how her car was moving it was clearly will she/won't she actually pull into traffic. Certainly enough to warrant considerable caution. But from the looks of it it's like he was completely oblivious to her as he didn't slow down a tick.

As mentioned in the comments, the truck driver probably couldn't see the car as well as the camera's POV does:
The dash cam is mounted in the center of the window so it has a much better view than the driver. The driver is sitting farther back and on the left side, and probably couldn't see the car until it was too late because there is a structural pillar and a mirror blocking the drivers view on the front left side where the car came from.

MeanJim on Steam

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 5, 2018, 10:41 MeanJim

Gotta love the name: Core i7-8086K.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Jun 4, 2018, 18:27 MeanJim

Prez wrote on Jun 4, 2018, 10:45:
How sad is it that I immediately knew without reading the article that "Rag Doll King Fu" was the first non-Valve game on Steam back in the beginning?

Well, you do own every game on Steam.

MeanJim on Steam

2893 Comments. 145 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo