Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Jim

Real Name Jim   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname MeanJim
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 30, 2003, 01:18
Total Comments 2736 (Senior)
User ID 17277

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Scanner Sombre This Week
6. Re: Scanner Sombre This Week Apr 25, 2017, 18:44 MeanJim

ViRGE wrote on Apr 25, 2017, 02:10:
Huh, this came out of nowhere. Introversion stuff is usually fun, so I'll definitely have to check it out once it's released.

They announced it about a year ago after "finishing" Prison Architect.

MeanJim on Steam
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: Take-Two shuts down Red Dead Redemption mod for Grand Theft Auto V Apr 23, 2017, 18:33 MeanJim

If Take-Two are smart, they would hire them and will give them what they need to do it properly.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Saturday Legal Briefs
23. No subject Apr 23, 2017, 14:30 MeanJim

John Deere, you just guaranteed that I will never own or license anything from your company, ever.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Apr 17, 2017, 23:08 MeanJim

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 21:02:
Steam Competitor
Please be Amazon
Please be Amazon
Please be Amazon

The best orgasms of you life lost to electronic gadgets, there are going to be a lot of grumpy 60 year olds.

Amazon owns Twitch, witch is now selling games, but I don't see that being a big competitor to Steam.

Creston wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 21:57:
It's not Amazon, it's TenCent. We'll see how it turns out.

They can't be that massive, I've never heard of them before now.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 17, 2017, 23:00 MeanJim

Cutter wrote on Apr 17, 2017, 22:11:
Well, technically he's right. If the internet went out forever tomorrow people would survive.

You can say that about anything, electricity, cars, phones, credit cards etc., but let me see you try and live without them.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Out of the Blue
3. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 15, 2017, 14:48 MeanJim

Never mind, I just figured it out.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Apr 14, 2017, 17:50 MeanJim

I've seen some 0% games before, most with just a few reviews, but I've seen some with quite a few reviews too. I'm sure they had some sort of minimum number of review requirements for their picks.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
2. Microsoft finally says goodbye to Windows Vista. Apr 12, 2017, 00:48 MeanJim

I managed to pick up a copy of Vista Home x64 way back when CompUSA closed down. I went in there on the last day when everything was 90% off. I never got around to installing it, and it's still sitting, unopened, on my shelf.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
5. Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 7, 2017, 23:41 MeanJim

SirKnight wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 20:20:
I am disappointed to see 3rd Rock from the Sun was removed (it's a Fox show). This is actually the second time this show was removed.

Years ago Netflix had Married with Children and King of the Hill, two other of my favorite shows, but went away and have not come back. They are also Fox shows.

WTF is up with Netflix and Fox?

This is why I hesitate to begin watching a TV series on Netflix. I worry that it will get removed before I can finish it. Also, with FOX's history of canceling good, new shows after one season, I won't even begin watching something on FOX until it has at least two full seasons out.

MeanJim on Steam

4. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Apr 5, 2017, 20:18 MeanJim

sdgundamx wrote on Apr 4, 2017, 20:45:
Thank fucking god. It's about goddamn time Congress did something about this. As someone who has to cross the border once or twice a year, I really applaud this. It's gotten to the point where I don't even want to bring any electronics with me anymore. According to the news stories, they will strongarm you into giving up any password protection you might have (i.e. threaten to "detain" you for further investigation which will of course seriously fuck up your travel plans). If you cooperate, then they'll take your electronics to another room and god knows what they do with it. They could, for all we know, copy every fucking thing stored on the computer including emails, photos, web history, etc.

The thing is, as it stands right now the search of electronic devices at the border without a warrant is probably not constitutional but who has the money or time to demand a lawyer and get sidelined for what will probably take months or even years to get a win in court?

Fixed that for ya.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Link of the Day Mar 25, 2017, 03:33 MeanJim

rawbelly wrote on Mar 23, 2017, 21:32:
THinks makes me want to rent forever lol

What makes you think this stuff wouldn't happen to a rental. If anything, a cheapskate landlord would be the one more likely to hire shoddy labor and end up with crap like this. At least if you own, you can do it yourself or hire competent labor and make sure it's done right.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 6, 2017, 20:39 MeanJim

mag wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 20:03:
The_Pink_Tiger wrote on Mar 6, 2017, 19:57:
I used to be a huge fan of MPC, but went to VLC a while back and never looked back. Its interface might not be as polished, but not having to worry about dodgy CODEC packs more than made up for it.

Pretty sure the newer MPC-HC releases have pretty much killed the need to deal with codecs. I don't think I've done the codec-pack-shuffle in years, and I know I've reinstalled Windows a couple times since then...

That's the whole point of MPC-HC (and VLC) is to have everything built in and not have to hunt down CODECs. VLC is so unstable, I've stuck with MPC-HC.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Evening Metaverse
1. Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 3, 2017, 23:10 MeanJim

How does that old saying go? If at first you don't succeed, give up and never try again.  

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Game Developers Choice Awards
23. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 3, 2017, 06:36 MeanJim

Razumen wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 21:10:
Why don't you do some research and actually inform yourself? The way it procedurally generates, textures and animates its creations is quite impressive, if you actually took the time to look into it.

Procedural generation is nothing new, and NMS doesn't do anything innovative that other games in the past haven't done. It looks more like more like under water than space to me. The procedural planets are small and cartoonish compared to Space Engine (not to mention Space Engine procedurally generates an entire universe with billions of galaxies each filled with billions of stars, planets and moons to explore). The buildings and structures in NMS are the same everywhere. Other games have procedurally generated creatures before. Hell Spore in 2008 had procedural generated planets and creatures, but I'm not even sure they were the first to do that.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Game Developers Choice Awards
18. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 2, 2017, 19:56 MeanJim

Razumen wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 19:25:
Guys, these are game DEVELOPER's awards. Innovation can mean things other than gameplay, and in this case, although NMS is itself a bad GAME, the underlying technology IS still actually pretty innovative.

What's so innovative about it? It's basically a shitty knockoff of Space Engine with a story tacked on.

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: On Sale Mar 2, 2017, 02:45 MeanJim

Yes, if PayPal is listing charities that aren't registered, that's some shady shit there, but I doubt PayPal is doing that. Unless they've changed recently PayPal requires charities to register to even be listed. When Humble Bundle started letting you chose a charity using the PayPal Giving Fund, I looked to see what local charities were available. There was one in particular I was looking for. They're on Amazon's Smile program, but I didn't see them on PayPal. I know someone that works there, so I told them about it and they registered for it and it took a few months for the paperwork to clear and have them listed.  

MeanJim on Steam

2. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 2, 2017, 00:30 MeanJim

PayPal isn't taking any money from charity.
Donations made to non-registered charities are held by PayPal for six months before being transferred to other not-for-profit organizations, according to the suit.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Released
37. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Mar 1, 2017, 03:48 MeanJim

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 00:28:
jimnms wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 19:08:
CJ_Parker wrote on Feb 28, 2017, 13:45:
...but the way they treated their loyal backers (especially of physical CE tiers) was beyond abysmal.

This is news to me. I've backed all of their projects at a physical CE level and I wasn't treated "abysmal."

Oh yes you were!

No, I wasn't. I'm getting exactly what I pledged for. You have some kind of delusion that because you backed their project, that you're somehow better and are entitled to more stuff. Just because they are coming out with a different (not necessarily better) retail CE doesn't mean you're entitled to that too. If you would rather have the contents of the retail CE, take your refund money, go buy that instead and quit being a whiney ass little bitch about it.

Delays and feature cuts aren't specific to backers. I don't give a shit about delays, I'd rather they take their time instead of rushing to get it out on time, and they explained the "feature cuts" on this Kickstarter update. Hell if they did rush it to get it out in time to please you, there would have been real feature cuts, and then you'd be bitching about that.

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 00:28:
Fuck crowdfunding. Never again...

That's probably best for you since you don't understand the concept.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Stellaris Utopia in April
8. Re: Stellaris Utopia in April Feb 28, 2017, 19:26 MeanJim

jdreyer wrote on Feb 27, 2017, 22:34:
I want to play Stellaris, but I'm concerned that like Civ, you need to wait until at least the first expansion before playing.

Thoughts?

Like most of Paradox games, there will be a lot of (mostly useless) DLC and probably a big expansion. Each time they release a new paid DLC, the game gets an update and new content is added to the base game too, so unless you can sit and play through an entire game before it changes, I'd wait until things settle down.

I splurged and bought it at release. I enjoyed what I played of it, but I wasn't able to finish a game due to the pacing of the patches, which kept changing and re-balancing stuff. I kind of wish I didn't buy it, but at the same time, I'm kind of glad I did. If I'd waited, it probably would have slid off my radar. I keep wanting to come back to it, but it still gets regular updates that change shit around.

MeanJim on Steam

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
6. Re: Morning Metaverse Feb 28, 2017, 19:14 MeanJim

Anyone want to place bets on which company the FCC chairman owns stocks in?  

MeanJim on Steam

2736 Comments. 137 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo