Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 9648 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Acer Partners for StarVR
23. Re: Acer Partners for StarVR May 16, 2016, 09:15 PHJF

I don't know what your history is with monitors, but when I'm buying one, the bare minimum I expect is to not have any dead or stuck pixels.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse May 15, 2016, 14:28 PHJF

However, offering to remove data caps for people who purchase TV service probably isn't some maniacal get-rich scheme from Bend Broadband, but rather a way of mitigating some or all of the equally-fucking-stupid costs in running an ISP.

US ISPs get far more out of customers than they pay into their services. Time Warner is comically bad, renting out ten-year-old modems at $10 a month, and doing nothing to update infrastructure. Yeah I'm sure in the boondocks it costs a lot to lay/maintain infrastructure... but I live in a metro city. Not near one, IN one. And the service and prices are abysmal.

And for the record, once the infrastructure is down, there is essentially no cost to the provider in transmitting data. Something on the order of fractions of pennies per GB.

I don't get why everyone thinks they're imposing new caps on people who don't buy TV service.

Because they are trying to make people pay for service they don't want or need in order to get something else they should have to begin with (which is extortion). AT&T now does the same thing, except they also offer a $30 monthly fee to internet-only customers to bypass their cap. It's certainly not as bad as cell phone overage charges, but $10 per 50GB over is nothing to sneeze at when single games can now be that large.

News Comments > DOOM Released
108. Re: DOOM Released May 14, 2016, 10:34 PHJF

What is Doom 2016 missing?

I guess since it has Denuvo protection it can't be modded.

Piracy is one reason why the server-based, free to play model has come into vogue: it's easier to prevent piracy. But it makes for awful games.

And frequently awful games (without demos, no less) make for piracy.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
1. Re: Evening Consolidation May 13, 2016, 20:39 PHJF

What are you talking about, Crash Bandicoot was just in Uncharted 4.  

News Comments > 9.7 Million Play the Overwatch Beta
35. Re: 9.7 Million Play the Overwatch Beta May 13, 2016, 18:52 PHJF

A hero does not need to be good in every situation.

Except Symmetra is only good in VERY SPECIFIC situations, and again, ONLY with good team support. Her weapon is mostly unusable (M1 range is basically spitting distance, M2 is laughably slow), her shield is pointlessly ineffectual, and her sentries have too long a CD and are too easily killed by random dmg. Meanwhile the teleporter has only six charges (what????), doesn't recharge while deployed, and is fucking ANNOUNCED TO THE ENEMY TEAM (like D.Va's for some inexplicable reason).

32. Re: 9.7 Million Play the Overwatch Beta May 13, 2016, 14:55 PHJF

The heroes are great, they all have their own role and they do them well. Imho I don't think they need more abilities or anything.

At least three of them need serious work: D.Va doesn't even have a RMB ability. Bastion is hopeless except against completely new players, and a boring mess regardless. Symmetra is awful without a completely capable team to support her (ironic since she's a Support character).

And I don't see how it never occurred to anyone they didn't need to have a hitscan sniper in their game just because it's an FPS; Widow and her rifle are antithetical to the very nature of the game.

Then there's the player interrupt skills. It's NEVER good to have something outright remove all control from a player, and this game has three. TF2 had the baseball but that was added late and never more than a joke weapon. This has three characters built around freezing then killing other players.

27. Re: 9.7 Million Play the Overwatch Beta May 13, 2016, 08:53 PHJF

TF2 players don't want to call it TF3 because they think they're superior

It absolutely is not TF3. In many ways, TF2 became TF3.

Overwatch really doesn't have a lot to distinguish itself; sure, there are a bunch of heroes, but they are all very one dimensional. It's a fun game and well made, but unless they add some serious content post release I don't see it having remotely the staying power of previous more popular shooters. The two game modes are terribly boring (especially KOTH, which I've NEVER enjoyed going all the way back to UT) and the maps pretty uninspired.

News Comments > Save 50%
5. Re: Save 50% May 12, 2016, 20:14 PHJF

Failed my save.

I need more Con.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
9. Re: George Zimmerman May 12, 2016, 13:25 PHJF

TangledThorns wrote on May 12, 2016, 13:23:
Damn, they took the auction down. George Zimmerman is a hero!

It would have been so poetic for somebody to buy the gun and murder defend themself from Zimmerman...

56. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2016, 08:41 PHJF

I've wondered for a long time about the arguments about which will give a PC longer life -- being on 24/7 or getting powered down.

That's fucking horseshit, dude. Businesses especially should enforce sleep or powered down states after hours. Sleep uses ~10W. Whereas sleep may save a home user maybe $100 a year in power costs, it'll save tens of thousands for larger businesses.

50. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 22:33 PHJF

You don't power down at night???

WHY DO YOU WANT EARTH TO DIE, MONSTER

News Comments > Disney Leaving Game Publishing
29. Re: Disney Leaving Game Publishing May 11, 2016, 19:09 PHJF

But back on ifinity, the amount of bitching we give a game for not enough content on release and then this franchise really held content back to the point you had to buy physical models to unlock a character and content. If it weren't such a casual game, it would have been baptized here for how stingy they were.

That's the entire point of the subgenre called "toys-to-life". Skylanders wasn't the first, but it was by far the most successful. Nintendo did the same thing with "amiibos", Warner Bros did the same thing with Lego Dimensions.

News Comments > Civilization VI Announced
29. Re: Civilization VI Announced May 11, 2016, 18:59 PHJF

That's a nice way of saying Sid Meier isn't the designer of Civilization 6. The only Civ he was lead designer of was the very first.  

News Comments > Disney Leaving Game Publishing
27. Re: Disney Leaving Game Publishing May 11, 2016, 16:50 PHJF

I couldn't believe how bad ifinity was. I know some people liked it but to me it played like a Dreamcast game in terms of visuals and gameplay mechanics of 3rd person games in that era.

The Skylanders franchise has made Activision over $3,000,000,000. Disney figured with their powerhouse IPs they'd make easy money aping that model.

35. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 15:56 PHJF

Pantyhose make for good makeshift dust filters.  

18. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 12:19 PHJF

Blue said he ordered a Rift (and Vive IIRC) but it has yet to ship.  

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 11:22 PHJF

Woo my Uncharted 4 showed up!

Time for that 5GB update to download. Next gen gaming, baby!

7. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 10:34 PHJF

PS4 is actually noisy as fuck, but my 970 with a blower fan gives it a run for its money. I got an ASUS 970 Turbo instead of ASUS 970 Strix because I have a white case and wanted the white GPU, but holy fuck is the Turbo noisy, even when idle. It completely drowns my case and cpu fans, and is probably the loudest GPU cooler I've ever owned.  

News Comments > Three Unannounced CAPCOM Games Coming
2. Re: Three Unannounced CAPCOM Games Coming May 10, 2016, 10:34 PHJF

RE6 disaster? It sold over five million copies... and it wasn't *that* bad. It could have been Operation Raccoon City.

Anyways Revelations was a pretty good return to form for the series and placated a lot of fans disappointed with how action-heavy RE6 was.

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 9, 2016, 19:24 PHJF

The downside to streaming is that the image quality is much worse - the detail I see in the darkness on a BluRay is huge, yet cable makes Game of Thrones a bunch of talking heads in black backgrounds.

Time Warner quality in my area is so horrendously bad that it's infinitely better for me to use HBO Go than actually watch or record anything.

9648 Comments. 483 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo