Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 9675 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2015, 10:34 PHJF

Dude fuck everyone dissing mustaches. A man's face is his own domain.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 2, 2015, 20:44 PHJF

Moved on to other what, exactly? Was there some other paradigm-changing video games peripheral released during the interim that I'm not privy to?

I don't understand how any hardcore PC gamer can not be excited for a bona fide VR headset. Gamers have been dreaming of this shit for decades and now the tech is finally catching up.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2015, 12:25 PHJF

I was perusing chili variants yesterday when I came across a tantalizing chile verde. In thirty years I'd never managed to actually eat (let alone prepare) chile verde, so I managed to get two birds with one pork shoulder last night.

I gotta say... it's some damn good stuff, and gives traditional chili a run for its money. It's beanless ala Texas style, and the only meat of choice is big chunks of seared pork. One of my favorite Italian dishes is a braised pork ragu, and this is more or less the Mexican version of it.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 2, 2015, 09:52 PHJF

I think it's odd you didn't read the article.

DBIUA spent about $25,000 in total to build the network, and an anonymous resident provided the money in a 3-year, interest-free loan. Residents paid $150 to become members of the DBIUA and $75 a month for Internet service, which goes toward paying down the loan. The monthly fees also cover the $900 a month DBIUA pays StarTouch for bandwidth.

News Comments > Sunday Screenshots
6. Re: Sunday Screenshots Nov 1, 2015, 18:39 PHJF

Because it doesn't have SweetFX!  

8. Re: Cancer-killing viruses have finally arrived Oct 30, 2015, 10:49 PHJF

The virus, called talimogene laherparepvec (T-VEC), is a genetically engineered herpes simplex virus that can help treat advanced melanoma.

This is it, folks; the beginning of the end. The FDA has approved the t-Virus.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
14. Re: Morning Consolidation Oct 29, 2015, 17:12 PHJF

Only backwards compatibility I want and expect is for PSN titles like PS1 classics. If a Sony console can't play Castlevania on it, it's worthless.  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2015, 12:39 PHJF

nin wrote on Oct 28, 2015, 11:12:
It just looks goofy as fuck to me, but perhaps cranky old guy isn't the target audience.

Obviously you don't know Jeb Bush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTPzpyPyD40

77. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 28, 2015, 08:23 PHJF

For example, the famous apple is never named as an actual apple in the earlier Old Hebrew editions. Merely as "forbidden fruit".

Phew, so I can go back to eating apples again? Clearly the ACTUAL forbidden fruit was dragon fruit, because who the fuck would eat one of those weird-ass things???

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Oct 28, 2015, 08:19 PHJF

Still, regardless of where this is coming from, way to give the terrorists what they want.

I'm pretty sure everyone wants the GamerGate clowns to shut the fuck up already, not just terrorists.

News Comments > Alien: Isolation - The Collection Released
20. Re: Alien: Isolation - The Collection Released Oct 28, 2015, 08:13 PHJF

I like stealth, survival horror (to a degree), and Alien. What I don't like is a bunch of homicidal androids. I'll never know if the rest of the game was as good as some people say because I could never be arsed to finish getting passed the androids.  

23. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 13:10 PHJF

It bears mentioning Infinite Jest, in the ten years following its initial release, sold 150,000 copies. This is a novel by almost all accounts considered a classic.

50 Shades sold a million copies in four days.

I'm not saying commercial success is an indicator of quality (when has it ever been), but the difference in EXPOSURE between Grey and Jest is... frightening. I feel this is indicative of a broader downplaying of reading & writing in American schools; at least in my composition courses (in both primary and secondary school), it was basically impossible not to pass. At University, I kid you not, our final project in composition was to "describe one way you'd like to improve the world." The real kicker? It didn't even have to be a paper, students were allowed to do POWERPOINTS (and of course being the lesser of evils most did). So I wrote a paper essentially bemoaning the fall of higher education wherein I heavily criticized my teacher for not giving a shit and for perpetuating the university's cycle of churning out morons into American society simply because said morons paid their tuition. Don't get me wrong, it was a syntax error-free and well-constructed paper in the proper MLA format, exactly the kind of paper my "teacher" would have never balked at awarding an A. Except she didn't give my paper an A. If I weren't such a lazy product of a half-assed education I might take to chronicling my exploits (or lack thereof) in true Holden Caulfield fashion, but then again, knowing as I do most people don't even know who the fuck Holden Caulfield is, why would I bother? Occasional venting into the ether of the internet is about as productive as any concerted attempt to impact culture in America.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 27, 2015, 12:17 PHJF

Literary "classics" are written as self-contained. The compulsion to make everything a fucking trilogy in the name of More Money is doubtlessly crippling modern authors, ESPECIALLY in Sci-Fi and Fantasy genres. A majority of today's novels end up coming off as consumer products rather than works of art and passion. The greatest stories have closure.

And I don't enjoy Shakespeare (being less interested in how a story is told than the story itself), but the man was a god as far as words are concerned.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 26, 2015, 19:41 PHJF

Who fucking cares about the guy? He created a cult by peddling overpriced, over-restrictive garbage manufactured essentially by slave labor. He's a footnote in history, not some kind of great man, and certainly not deserving of study or scrutiny. I'd sooner watch a fuckin Donald Trump biopic.  

5. Re: Out of the Blue Oct 26, 2015, 10:43 PHJF

What's up with The Knick and HBO? I knew they were airing season 1 as a promotion, but now I see Season 2 Episode 2 (which aired on Cinemax last week) is set to air on HBO THIS week.  

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight Rerelease Wednesday
2. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight Rerelease Wednesday Oct 25, 2015, 13:45 PHJF

Anyone who buys this shall be sacked forthwith.

Their immediate families too shall be sacked. Their pets shall be sacked. Their contacts including but not limited to "best friends", "significant others", "romantic acquaintances", "BFFs", "bros", "hoes", and "he's just a friend" shall be sacked. Upon sacking all records of said sacking will thereupon be sacked so as to remove all possibility of unsacking.

You've been warned.

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Oct 24, 2015, 14:40 PHJF

Self driving cars are most useful for long-distance, high-speed travel on the interstates. How many packs of fucking pedestrians does the average driver encounter in the middle of a freeway???

Cars traveling near large groups of pedestrians are almost always in urban environments and traveling on roads with speed limits at or below 35MPH, where vehicular impact with a wall is not likely to kill the occupants. As far as ethical dilemmas go, this one is a pretty big fucking stretch.

News Comments > Warhammer: The End Times Vermintide Released
5. Re: Warhammer: The End Times Vermintide Released Oct 24, 2015, 07:46 PHJF

I read the maps which weren't in the beta are fucking awful.  

News Comments > etc.
5. Re: etc. Oct 23, 2015, 22:56 PHJF

I'm pretty sure you can play FFXII in HD right now. In fact, I'm pretty sure you could do that like ten years ago (FFXII was one of the first PS2 games to run nearly perfectly via emulation; that's how I first played it).  

News Comments > Falcon Collection on GOG.com
7. Re: Falcon Collection on GOG.com Oct 23, 2015, 22:52 PHJF

I had F15 Strike Eagle and F117A Nighthawk. Since nobody in my family was computer literate and a veritable treasure trove of games was given to us by my computer programmer of an uncle, it was up to a (very very young) PHJF to figure out how the fuck to get anything to run on our new 486. I had bootdisks coming out the ass, I plugged in every sound blaster IRQ under the sun left right and center.  

9675 Comments. 484 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo