Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 9670 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
14. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 1, 2015, 15:11 PHJF

So I watched the first four episodes of Jessica Jones over TG... and the show is awful. It's time to rethink casting when virtually every supporting member is more capable than your star; Ritter is terrible. Continuing the trend of everyone fawning over anything with "Marvel" affixed to it...

Meanwhile The Knick continues to distance itself from the competition as the best thing on television.

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 29, 2015, 21:38 PHJF

Did a Skylake build this weekend. Went with a Gigabyte board that had a lot of options for the $170 price, but it was DOA with a memory detect error. Replaced with an EVGA that ended up being a little sorry looking on paper but at least it works. It doesn't have ANY USB2 headers (just two on the rear panel), so the old HAF case's front panel USB is worthless. The new Samsung 850 SSD was also too cool to come with a fucking 3.5" bay adapter, something which not surprisingly is sold in virtually no stores.

But the real icing on the cake was this gem: Intel's new z170 chipset does away with EHCI support... which means Windows 7 install will not recognize USB input devices. The Gigabyte that was DOA featured a combo PS2 port that would have gotten around this. The EVGA does not. I guess ASUS z170 boards came with an EHCI bios option that would allow Win7 installs, but EVGA didn't. Turns out a BIOS update is REQUIRED to add a "Windows 7 Installation" option for the sole purpose of adding USB input detection. Except I can't use the hard drive's Win7 install to DOWNLOAD new bios because win7 restore WON'T DETECT THE FUCKIN USB INPUT DEVICES.

So at this point I don't have access to another computer with which to download bios. I have a couple of worthless tablets on hand which I've been finding why the fuck the input devices aren't working. So rather than entirely break down this new build, replace it with old hardware, download the BIOS update to a thumbdrive, and then reinstall the new build, I Frankenstein-rig the old board/cpu to the installed PSU and hold the old heatsink to the thing while the guy whose computer we're building hurriedly accesses his old Win install to get the new BIOS.

So we get the new BIOS installed, tick "Windows 7 Installation" in the BIOS, and can finally fucking install. And it's a good thing we had the Win7 disc handy because guess what you can't fucking install Win7 via USB anymore, either. I've had my share of quirks in computer building before but this takes the taco.

News Comments > Bombshell in January; Prequel Revealed
5. Re: Bombshell in January; Prequel Revealed Nov 21, 2015, 00:41 PHJF

A prequel built in the Build engine? Seriously? Why not ship the soundtrack on vinyl while you're at it?

I'm actually more interested in this than another "modern" shooter.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
10. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2015, 15:49 PHJF

PS4 at least has a very lean and quick media player. I run Universal Media Server on my PC so I get cleaned-up file names and custom thumbnails. And ironically streaming shows say via the HBO app offers a much better image quality versus broadcast. Time Warner, baby! The power of ShiTV!  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Nov 20, 2015, 12:58 PHJF

You're not missing out on much. I can't really compare between the PS4 and the Xbone, since I don't have a PS4, but while the Xbone works for everything I want it to (Amazon streaming, Netflix streaming, watching Blu-Rays), it's pretty slow in getting to these apps.

One of the most annoying functions of the PS4 is mandatory system updates to "access network features". I fucking hate sitting down to stream something FROM MY HOME NETWORK and being required to sit through an update.

News Comments > Disgaea on Steam "Soon"
5. Re: Disgaea on Steam Nov 17, 2015, 16:43 PHJF

I happen to love tactics games, but for some reason not Japanese ones. I had one friend in particular who played the shit out of everything from Advance Wars to Fire Emblem to Front Mission, while all I ever played was Jagged Alliance and Fallout Tactics.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Nov 13, 2015, 20:28 PHJF

And much like a condom, it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

The condom, designed to prevent life. The firearm, designed to end it.

News Comments > Game Reviews
27. Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 14:19 PHJF

But the very next breath (not even separated by a period, just a comma) is: "...but playing it, is the ONLY THING we want to do."

If you know about Ben Moore (the reviewer), that's just Ben Moore being Ben Moore. He also mentions the problems he found in Fallout 4 are endemic to Bethesda titles and people should perhaps be less forgiving of them release after release.

I find it's a lot easier (and more necessary) to criticize AAA projects. Bethesda aren't new at this whole games developing thing and having followed their titles for two decades now I expect more forward progress from them. And this is by no means specific to Bethesda.

9. Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 12:04 PHJF

Sorry but something "flawed in very serious ways" is not the "nearly perfect" indicated by scoring something 9/10.  

7. Re: Game Reviews Nov 9, 2015, 11:05 PHJF

Review at GameTrailers..., "Fallout 4 is flawed in very serious ways..."

9/10

News Comments > Overwatch Not F2P?
38. Re: Into the Black Nov 6, 2015, 10:58 PHJF

They *should* charge money. They're Blizzard, pretty much the only developer to have their own conference (or is QuakeCon still a thing?). F2P is for developers with no faith in their product or who are keen to gouge customers, nothing more. TF2 went F2P in late life and wasn't designed that way from the outset, and is the exception to the rule.

Overwatch doesn't need to be successful on the PC where it is going to be competing with a horde of MOBAs. I think it still can be, but it isn't necessary. PS4 is wide open for this type of game.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Launch Trailer
68. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 6, 2015, 10:49 PHJF

When a critical opinion has foundation I can find value in that...

Here's the thing:

This game isn't out. A lot of games aren't out. So the only opinions one can muster pertain to the (meager) showings in these trailers. Know that I'm not clouded by my longstanding love of Fallout 1 and 2 (OK, maybe a little clouded) when I say this:

Fallout 4 looks like shit. Just a big, plain, brown, steaming pile of shit. This trailer is another layer of shit on top of an already sizable pile of shit. It's pointlessly cinematic when Fallout as a genre is anything but. The voice acting is godawful. It's ugly. It shows a bunch of combat which appears only marginally improved from its predecessor (and I can't believe VATS is still a thing, the dumbest fucking design decision in history, a bitter and sorry attempt to connect Fallout 3 to its namesake). What the trailer DOESN'T show is the very essence of Fallout, that being journeying around a post-nuclear wasteland exploring and scavenging strange locales while trying to survive. Maybe that's just not the kind of thing Bethesda thinks people want in a trailer... or maybe that's just not the kind of game Bethesda thinks people want to play.

I understand a lot of people love Fallout 3 and have faith in Bethesda to deliver, but as far as I'm concerned the only good to come out of Fallout 3 was New Vegas (well, that and the lunch box). Vegas had problems, no doubt, but was a better realization of Fallout ideals by far than Bethesda could proffer. Vegas was a true "post nuclear role playing game" and not a "post nuclear shooter with RPG elements".

News Comments > Fallout 4 Launch Trailer
4. Re: Fallout 4 Launch Trailer Nov 5, 2015, 11:48 PHJF

Cinematic trailer for the least cinematic game series of all time! Yeah!

And those character models and animations, woooooo boy. I guess war isn't the only thing that never changes.

News Comments > Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition Tomorrow
5. Re: Darksiders II Deathinitive Edition Tomorrow Nov 4, 2015, 11:19 PHJF

So this is how they plan to make money on a bankrupt IP, completely nondescript "reworkings and tunings" and what I'm sure will be an insultingly high pricetag.  

31. Re: NASA has trialled an engine that would take us to Mars in 10 weeks Nov 4, 2015, 09:05 PHJF

I'm going to have to apply the adage, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" to this one. I hope I'm wrong.

And I'll apply the adage that any technology sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic. Truly great discoveries often happen before they can be explained.

2. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 3, 2015, 10:34 PHJF

Dude fuck everyone dissing mustaches. A man's face is his own domain.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Nov 2, 2015, 20:44 PHJF

Moved on to other what, exactly? Was there some other paradigm-changing video games peripheral released during the interim that I'm not privy to?

I don't understand how any hardcore PC gamer can not be excited for a bona fide VR headset. Gamers have been dreaming of this shit for decades and now the tech is finally catching up.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 2, 2015, 12:25 PHJF

I was perusing chili variants yesterday when I came across a tantalizing chile verde. In thirty years I'd never managed to actually eat (let alone prepare) chile verde, so I managed to get two birds with one pork shoulder last night.

I gotta say... it's some damn good stuff, and gives traditional chili a run for its money. It's beanless ala Texas style, and the only meat of choice is big chunks of seared pork. One of my favorite Italian dishes is a braised pork ragu, and this is more or less the Mexican version of it.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
3. Re: Sunday Metaverse Nov 2, 2015, 09:52 PHJF

I think it's odd you didn't read the article.

DBIUA spent about $25,000 in total to build the network, and an anonymous resident provided the money in a 3-year, interest-free loan. Residents paid $150 to become members of the DBIUA and $75 a month for Internet service, which goes toward paying down the loan. The monthly fees also cover the $900 a month DBIUA pays StarTouch for bandwidth.

News Comments > Sunday Screenshots
6. Re: Sunday Screenshots Nov 1, 2015, 18:39 PHJF

Because it doesn't have SweetFX!  

9670 Comments. 484 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo