Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 9650 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Gun Nerfed
1. Re: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Gun Nerfed Dec 11, 2015, 09:28 PHJF

They made a gun better than the deagle?!?!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
7. Re: Morning Interviews Dec 9, 2015, 12:40 PHJF

Newsflash: PC gaming is not a hardcore niche anymore, and "dumbing down" benefits them on PC just as much as it does on consoles.

The UI is an enormous problem. I've seen some good UIs on console games, but Skyrim's was abysmal and FO4's is somehow even worse. Playing the game on PS4, performing just about any function is inordinately difficult and cumbersome, and I hear it's no better with M+K.

I think the single biggest criticism I can levy against the game is how sifting through garbage to find loot in previous games has become picking up virtually everything. When the player is actively encouraged to collect what THE GAME ITSELF classifies as "Junk", you've got a big fucking design problem.

News Comments > Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week
2. Re: Elite Dangerous Horizons Next Week Dec 9, 2015, 12:03 PHJF

Have new players run through a three to five mission arc that shows them the basics of the game organically instead of the currently very stilted scenarios.

So have them play the entire game, you're saying.

News Comments > PC Final Fantasy VI Next Week
10. Re: PC Final Fantasy VI Next Week Dec 9, 2015, 09:39 PHJF

I'm sure it'll cost $20, too: gotta have the Final Fantasy Tax levied.  

News Comments > Into the Black
4. Re: Into the Black Dec 8, 2015, 23:40 PHJF

Ridiculous expenditures of money aside, some of the tech in this is pretty interesting. I can't imagine a modern day naval battle would be anything but every side launching hundreds of cruise missiles at their opponents' ships though, at ridiculously long ranges.

Railguns and laser defense arrays.

News Comments > Immortal Empire Released
3. Re: Immortal Empire Released Dec 8, 2015, 23:35 PHJF

Love it when random developer says their title is "like [insert one or more highly revered games]".  

News Comments > Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support
20. Re: Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support Dec 7, 2015, 16:32 PHJF

Paranoid delusions... If that were their goal, it's far too late to do anything about it now.

Complete ineptitude isn't any better.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support
13. Re: Fallout 4 Patch Breaks Mod Support Dec 7, 2015, 15:03 PHJF

Glad they had a month's worth of "beta" patches to get stuff like this ironed out.  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Dec 7, 2015, 11:08 PHJF

I guess now I can add an "incinerate mailbox contents" app to my phone when all I see is junk mail.

Who am I kidding: it's all junk mail.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
4. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 6, 2015, 18:15 PHJF

NI NO KUNI 2 MUTHA FUCKAHSSSS  

32. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 5, 2015, 11:49 PHJF

It is a good CPU (CPUs haven't made much gain since since the i-series launched), but still... it's three years old... and that price isn't much lower than it was three years ago (woulda been around 250 Canadian at launch, I reckon). Meanwhile 5930k's are going for $400USD, HUNDREDS below launch price, and it released a little over a year ago.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 5, 2015, 11:37 PHJF

So maybe this was why the Gigabyte died before even posting once. We used a Corsair h80i GT. I hadn't noticed anything with the CPU socket before mounting, but after dismounting there was very clearly a bent pin in there. I know what I'm doing so was very careful not to over-tighten the HSF, and made sure to tighten down the mounts all together...

We returned it to Micro Center the next day and they said they wouldn't normally take back a board for bent pins (I woulda given them no end of shit if they'd resisted) but they did exchange it out, and the clerk opened up the new board to check the pins for damage before the transaction.

Another thing I noticed was how awful the packaging was. Not only were none of the board packages sealed at all (which I guess is now standard?), but the Gigabyte had ZERO foam in it. Simple cardboard box, anti-static bag, and in goes the board. Point in fact the main reason we swapped out for an EVGA board was because it was in shrink wrap (the only such board).

24. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 4, 2015, 17:37 PHJF

Don't know that I'd call a three-year-old CPU up to date... and it's cheaper than that at Micro Center right now.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2015, 14:20 PHJF

Power Armor is made up of a Frame and any attached Armor pieces. When you kill a person inside of Power Armor, the Frame is destroyed while all Armor is lootable. The only means of removing a person from Power Armor without destroying the Frame is to pickpocket them of their Fusion Core, at which point they will exit the Frame.

That being said... the game is littered with frames in static locations. Nearly all static frames have a randomized selection of armor pieces already attached, with player level being a major factor in the quality of the armor found. Certain vendors also sell Frames (at exorbitant prices) and Armor pieces.

7. Re: Out of the Blue Dec 3, 2015, 11:09 PHJF

A doctor's time is apparently more important than yours. They overload their schedules, so you end up waiting 30 minutes in the big waiting room, then another 30 minutes in the small waiting room.

a) if there's one person on the planet I don't want rushing through his work it's my doctor.

b) there is a growing shortage of both primary and specialty care physicians in the US

c) diagnosing cancer and explaining the prognosis to a patient isn't the same as telling a mother her child's tonsils need to come out, and one is going to take a hell of a lot longer than the other

35. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 11:01 PHJF

For many, perhaps most, use cases Windows 7 is fine. If you've been keeping track of, learning to use, and have incorporated into your work, the features of newer OSes however, Windows 7 doesn't feel like something you can go back to.

But you've already mentioned how Win7 has the essentially same usability as Win10 via third-party programs... so aside from nebulous "under the hood" improvements, what's the impetus to update? MS has a catch 22; make sweeping changes and put off complacent customers, or make subtle changes and put off customers expecting sweeping changes. I'd wager people like me who expect Windows iterations to be hugely different are greatly the minority.

And it seems like we just have different ideas of what Windows is for. I expect windows to be minimal and fast, with just enough ease-of-use functionality as is strictly necessary. I like to get all the rest of my functionality from independent programs; if I wanted my OS to be a catch-all I'd use an Apple. Windows extensibility is a selling point, not a bother.

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues
40. Re: Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues Dec 3, 2015, 10:27 PHJF

EVGA GeForce GTX TITAN Z 12G-P4-3990-KR 12GB GAMING. $1,550 at Newegg. This SINGLE card was designed specifically for 4K gaming without needing to overclock.

I knew this was bullshit before looking into it, but I searched for benchmarks regardless...

This $1500 GPU cannot maintain 60FPS at 4K in games including Battlefield 4, Thief, Hitman Absolution.

4K + max settings isn't currently a feasible goal. nvidia Pascal purportedly launching in Q2 2016 has a good chance of changing that. Until then, 4K is just a buzzword. And don't forget Oculus is about to release; I'd much rather see adoption and support for VR tech than another pretty arbitrary resolution jump.

32. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 3, 2015, 10:11 PHJF

With Mission Control, I effectively have different workflow modes, and when I've reached the limit of what I can do in one "mode", I switch "modes", i.e. desktops, to continue the task in the adjacent "mode"

I doubt the average employee is going to so much as think of this concept let alone utilize it.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
21. Re: Evening Mobilization Dec 2, 2015, 10:52 PHJF

This post has finally given me the willpower to remove and order a replacement battery for my Skagan watch.  

News Comments > Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues
23. Re: Just Cause 3 Released; No Multi-GPU Support and Other Issues Dec 1, 2015, 17:28 PHJF

I would be very curious as to how many of us blues crew here actually run multi GPU setups.

I would if I wasn't so poor. To a layman, a single powerful card is pretty much always better than two lesser cards... so SLI, exactly like GSync, is only useful to the people who can afford top-end equipment in the first place.

9650 Comments. 483 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo