Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for PHJF

Real Name PHJF   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname PHJF
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description VE3D Refugee
Homepage None given.
Signed On May 29, 2003, 02:16
Total Comments 9702 (Guru)
User ID 17251

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
39. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 14:23 PHJF

Oh and Bob, read Vonnegut's Player Piano if you haven't already.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 14:16 PHJF

I can see there is passion for and against this. I'm glad we had this discussion. It's been bothering me and I needed to vent a little. Even though I may not agree your reasoning I do respect your point of view.

No no no, there's no discussion on this point. The minimum wage has to rise over time. Period. ALL wages are supposed to rise to AT LEAST compensate for cost of living and inflation. Your Ayn Randian ethical sensibilities and superiority complex aside, you can't argue with simple maths. If X money is the *absolute minimum* required to live a healthy, productive, independent life in America, then Y worker should get paid at least X money, regardless of the nature of his labor. If he ISN'T, society will, in one form or another, suffer for it.

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 13:36 PHJF

2) By that faulty logic why have winners in Sports or the Olympics or eSports? There is ALWAYS going to be superiority and inferiority. That's life. I spent the time learning a skill back when the Internet basically didn't exist. Today, with sites like Udemy, MIT opencourseware, Full Sail Academy, Kahn Academy and more there is NO excuse for anyone to "settle" into a minimum wage "career".

You're the victim of your own reasoning. Your job doesn't pay as well as you think it should because a bunch of uppity Indians and Asians got it into their heads that they could do the same work for less pay.

And people stuck waiting tables didn't necessarily set out for an exciting career working for $3 an hour (plus tips!). I don't know if you noticed, but the US economy took a massive shit a few years ago and royally fucked up tons of lives/careers.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 12:55 PHJF

You missed the point, man; the point is that flipping burgers is unskilled labor anyone can do, and the minimal compensation is a reflection of that. IT work historically takes post-secondary education. The people that have put the time and money into (read: an investment) that education expect to it to pay off. Literally.

This generation has been fed the lie that if you educate yourself (and accrue the nice healthy slab of debt that comes with that) you'll get a steady career. We all used to mock the arts majors because what the fuck were they going to do with their degrees except wipe their asses, but now we're in a position where previously stable degrees frequently don't amount to shit. Globalization is great... right up until it comes back to bite you in the ass.

8. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 12:16 PHJF

Besides that, once AI has been well established and progress beyond humans (able to program itself) ... Your job may be seen as the new burger flipping

It already is the new burger flipping, or have you seriously not noticed the ongoing and extensive offshoring of computer science work to The East? The West had a good run at computer-related economies, but like manufacturing before it, businesses can and will shift to the cheapest labor. And it doesn't help the US having one of the worst and most expensive networking infrastructures.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
2. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 29, 2016, 10:43 PHJF

I've been using message boards for 20 years. Never felt the need to go any further.  

News Comments > Call of Space Duty Rumors
3. Re: Call of Space Duty Rumors Mar 29, 2016, 10:40 PHJF

SPACE SPACe SPAce SPace Space... SPACE SPACe SPAce SPace Space...

If you wanna know about space you have know about the planets.

If you wanna know about the planets you have to listen to me right now.

1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2016, 10:37 PHJF

Seems silly to get behind the tech before there's a killer app (or at least a decent selection of not-so-killer apps). If the next Elder Scrolls announces support then yeah, go all in, but until then...  

News Comments > On Sale
7. Re: On Sale Mar 29, 2016, 10:33 PHJF

Life is Strange is $10, the cheapest I've ever seen it.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 28, 2016, 12:48 PHJF

Saw your movie last night Affleck, you damn well better be sad batman.

Therein lies the problem, because you and $170M worth of US viewers *also* saw his movie last weekend, when everyone knew it would be bad and everyone who'd already seen it said it was bad.

News Comments > Balrum Released
1. Re: Balrum Released Mar 28, 2016, 11:02 PHJF

I notice there's about 3 seconds of combat footage...  

News Comments > Grand Theft Auto 6 Rumor
22. Re: GeForce Drivers for Fallout 4, Legacy of the Void, & Battlefront Mar 27, 2016, 21:43 PHJF

Personally, I think they need to go back inside the box, to what made San Andreas great. Give us a single main character that we actually care about, who develops through the story.

Are you effin kidding? YOU A BUSTAH, C.J.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2016, 17:51 PHJF

Kxmode wrote on Mar 24, 2016, 16:55:
Medal of Honor™ Pacific Assault available for free through Origin.

All the crickets in the world together couldn't form a worthy response to such a paltry announcement.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
6. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 23, 2016, 15:56 PHJF

It's got a decent amount of good games, and more exclusives than Xbox One and PS4 as funny as that sounds.

As somebody who owns a PS4, that doesn't sound funny at all; the only exclusive I have is Bloodborne. I'd much rather be playing Bayonetta 2 and Xenoblade.

News Comments > Planet Coaster Early Bird Alpha Rolls Out
6. Re: Planet Coaster Early Bird Alpha Rolls Out Mar 22, 2016, 22:48 PHJF

Then when it's released it's priced normally.

No, it was still most assuredly overpriced at release.

9. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 18, 2016, 11:44 PHJF

I had LASIK, a side effect of which is "haloing" of light sources at night, with a negative impact on nighttime driving. Either I don't think about it anymore (I had the procedure 12+ months ago) or I got used to it. Seeing double doesn't sound normal, though.  

News Comments > X-COM Creator Gollop Teases Tactical Combat Gamez
4. Re: X-COM Creator Gallop Teases Tactical Combat Game Mar 18, 2016, 11:35 PHJF

Task wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 11:15:
I wonder what the main world 'threat' will be, if not aliens or perhaps different?

Donald Drumpf

News Comments > Mirage: Arcane Warfare Announced
1. Re: Mirage: Arcane Warfare Announced Mar 9, 2016, 22:31 PHJF

So long as they don't skimp on the battlecry/taunt budget...  

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
10. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 7, 2016, 13:44 PHJF

I was under the impression consoles used data encryption or compression or something which basically neutered most gains an SSD would make. At least that's what I read back in PS3 era. All I know is FO4 load times on PS4 are infuriating bordering on madness.  

News Comments > Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die
22. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 12:35 PHJF

Who the fuck cares, this doesn't stand a chance of catching on. Oh boo hoo, we won't be able to play Forza or Tomb Raider on PC without UWP? Say it ain't so. MS a) pretty much doesn't make games anymore and b) is never going to be able to afford to buy up enough of the competition for this to matter.  

9702 Comments. 486 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo