Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 8218 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
13. Re: etc. Sep 26, 2018, 20:53 Sepharo

Hmm...
Maybe something from CS... maybe the silhouette logo they use but without the words... or an MP5 model (all I ever used in original CS).

The LucasArts logo is pretty hideous but just about all of the Adventure games they made we my favorites. Alternative in this category would maybe be purple tentacle.

Zenyatta from Overwatch would work pretty well as a tattoo.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Anthem Alpha
13. Re: Anthem Alpha Sep 26, 2018, 18:41 Sepharo

These definitions of alpha and beta are written in the u.s. constitution AND the bible  

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
34. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Sep 25, 2018, 23:29 Sepharo

You say you're a "pure empiricist" but then make your arguments about intent...

edit: Damn didn't notice that RedEye basically said the same thing.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
17. Re: Out of the Blue Sep 25, 2018, 23:16 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Sep 24, 2018, 15:36:
Yeah, I got reemed in the pool yesterday as well. I took a couple of what I knew were chances but the rest seemed all pretty much lock-ish IMO. Oh well, any given Sundday. How 'bout them Lions downing the Cheatriots quite handily? Grats to them. Seph, were you at the game?
It's funny seeing so many people writing Brady and the Pats off already. Yeah, because Bellicheat has never turned them around before. If it's post-season and they're not in it, you can write them off then and not before.

Can't believe the Redskins played so well yesterday either. I hope the fallout from the last calls on the last 2 weeks against Clay Matthews starts shaking up some stuff back towards common sense.

I was at the game
I had a really fun time at the game...
I did not go to work Monday.

Also I got my finger smashed in a tailgate at tailgate... well tailgate #2... post-game tailgate.
Lucky I still have it really, it kind of perfectly wedged its way into a little bit of open space I guess and I just ended up with some bad gashes instead of severed finger.
I need this finger to push W and S, among other things.

News Comments > Anthem Alpha
6. Re: Anthem Alpha Sep 25, 2018, 23:12 Sepharo

They don't mean anything more or less than what the business wants them to mean.  

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Trailer
14. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Trailer Sep 25, 2018, 19:47 Sepharo

Osc8r wrote on Sep 25, 2018, 19:01:
bigspender wrote on Sep 25, 2018, 02:55:
Definitely the best BR game so far. But that's not saying much. After the initial thrill of BR.... the whole concept is flawed. It's a shooter that encourages you not to shoot if you want to win. Hide and only shoot the last player or two. Otherwise you're ruining your odds. They need to give you a reason to take players out, which doesn't also massively disadvantage you since it gives you away. And each engagement lowers your odds of winning.

Not really, that's the beauty of BR you can play it how YOU want. You can play stealthy and just try and get the win, you can play aggressive and just go for high kills, or you can blend the two.

Usually people start out just trying to get the win at all costs, but as they get more experience they start playing more aggressive and putting in the effort to get high kill wins as there's more 'action' and the win feels much more rewarding when you put in effort.

Fortnite does reward you for killing people in the form of materials. People also usually carry various shields and health regen, so if you do get injured you aren't put at an a disadvantage.

COD gets this wrong though, as the only way to protect yourself from being killed in 1 second is to have armor, armor which you usually can't loot off the guy you just killed because you destroyed it during the fight. The netcode is also trash.

In both PUBG and Blackout you'll want kills throughout the game to refresh on ammo, health, and armor (and picking up a sniper if you didn't find one in the beginning). Ground looting should taper off to almost nothing in mid to late game.

In Blackout, it's rarer than in PUBG, but you can still loot armor off of bodies occasionally.
Though since it doesn't separate helmet and chest pieces (only lvl 3 armor in blackout includes headshot armor) there's slightly less strategy than PUBG armor meta. If you need a new helmet in pubg (especially important in late game) you might purposefully only take body shots on an enemy you see wearing a lvl 3 helmet. And if you're some kind of pro, and you're in need of body armor, you might avoid the body and only go for the head.

News Comments > Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Trailer
12. Re: Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 Trailer Sep 25, 2018, 18:51 Sepharo

DangerDog wrote on Sep 25, 2018, 14:30:
VaranDragon wrote on Sep 25, 2018, 04:05:
DangerDog wrote on Sep 24, 2018, 22:27:
meanwhile, DICE is doing an about face on their art direction of Battlefield V and making it look more like a WWII game an less like an alt-history Mad Max WWII game.

https://twitter.com/dan_mitre/status/1044360139048800256

No they are not doing an about face on anything. Do you even follow your own goddamn links?

I don't think they'll have prosthetic armed snipers and they're toning down on the blue man group face paint. These characters look much more WWII than the ones they initially showed.

What gives you the impression that they're removing the character that some loudly whined about?

News Comments > Overwatch Plans Include Torbjörn Rework
1. Re: Overwatch Plans Include Torbjörn Rework Sep 21, 2018, 18:58 Sepharo

Blue is a Torb guy eh?

But is he an... attack Torb? *shudder*

News Comments > Valve to Moderate Steam Communities
18. Re: Valve to Moderate Steam Communities Sep 21, 2018, 04:35 Sepharo

CthulhuFan wrote on Sep 20, 2018, 19:54:
The short version is that starting on Tuesday, Sept 25th, our moderation team will start reviewing reported discussion posts in all game hubs on Steam. You can opt out if you wish.

Good luck with that, folks. Enjoy moderating politically charged bullshit while having no fucking idea what the zeitgeist is for the title.

Thankfully they allow developers to opt out.

I'm guessing it's going to be strictly limited to what breaks their tos.
Illegal stuff, threatening stuff, paid spam.

News Comments > Valve to Moderate Steam Communities
15. Re: Valve to Moderate Steam Communities Sep 20, 2018, 17:27 Sepharo

007Bistromath wrote on Sep 20, 2018, 12:43:
I want to be upset about this, but I find I trust Valve to be more reasonable about it than many devs.
Muscular Beaver wrote on Sep 20, 2018, 15:51:
Can only get better, when I see what self righteous, biased imbeciles devs often use.
This is an optional system for devs. And even if they opt into using it they can still moderate the forum themselves on top of the Valve moderation (for illegal and Steam TOS breaking things)... So if they want to block you for complaining about bugs or something they still can do that whether they opt into another layer of moderation or not.

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
23. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 19, 2018, 16:37 Sepharo

Mr. Tact wrote on Sep 19, 2018, 12:53:
The strength of Beamer's argument would (in my mind anyway) seemingly depend on what actual experience Ninja has in competitive e-sports. I mean it would be like finding someone to talk about being in the NFL... you could talk to Steve Young, who is a Hall of Famer and has significant experience. That might be okay, although he's been out of the league since 1999. Or you might talk to Johnny Manziel who was in the league in 2014. You'd get two completely different stories/perspectives.

You should read the actual article that I linked...
They don't call him a "professional gamer" and they talk about his competitive play as something in the past. They correctly separate the ideas of streaming and eSports. He's a retired professional gamer who streams on Twitch. Which was my only point... it'd be nice, in my opinion, if the first "professional gamer" on the cover of a sports magazine was still playing the sport. I don't need it explained why he's on the cover. I don't dislike Ninja, I was even subscribed to his channel at one point, I don't dislike streamers, I watch a ton of Twitch these days, more than any other media. I'd feel the same way if Shroud or any other full-time streamer was on the cover. eSports have fought for a long long time to be considered relevant and mainstream, Shroud's former team C9 is one of the most recognizable teams out there (Ninja has played for them twice), but he's retired from it and it would be very awkward if C9 won a championship and the interviewer only wanted to talk about Shroud. That's not what's happening here, but I'm sure it feels that way to people in the industry. The honor of being the first eSport player on the cover went to... a retired player who streams on Twitch.

The article is pretty good though and it's cool to see a gamer on the cover.

21. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 19, 2018, 12:40 Sepharo

I'm going to need it explained a 5th time.  

18. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2018, 21:48 Sepharo

Here's the full article by the way for anyone that wants to read it...
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/24710688/fortnite-legend-ninja-living-stream

16. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2018, 21:36 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 21:34:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 21:21:
jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 21:05:
Beamer wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 16:38:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 16:33:
It is kind of a kick in the balls for the pros who didn't get big through streaming and have dominated in their respective games/genres. It's just a "marketability pick"... guy makes ESPN cover for playing fortnite and pounding energy drinks on twitch. EXXTREEME

He plays video games professionally, and he's the most popular and successful person to do so (I believe Pewdiepie has largely moved past just gaming.)

If you're not a video game player, are you more interested in reading about the most popular, a guy who is mentioned in rap songs, and knowing why he's gotten so popular, or are you interested in a bunch of nobodies that no one has heard of and no one will remember?

Were this a magazine targeted towards people who give a shit about pro gaming, I'd agree. But this isn't, it's targeted towards people who don't think video games can be professional. Starting with the most successful is a better place.

Whoa, Beam. Common sense overload. Could you dial it back a bit?

"I wish we had a better president than Trump."
--"Well the reason Trump is president [...]"
"No I get that, but there are better candidates because [...]"
--"He's president because he won the election!"
"Yeah, I said I get it."

I mean, it's the audience, though. It's like wishing NBC had shows more like FX. No one would buy, or read, an article about an Overwatch team. A lot of people would read an article about the guy who makes tens of millions and plays games with Drake.

Niche vs wide audience. This needs to be wide audience. If people learn something and enjoy it, it can move niche. But if you decide to introduce people to something new and start with something they can't relate to, they're just going to leave it on newsstands.

Holy shit you're dense today.
You responded to a guy who acknowledged it was a pick for "marketability" and then proceed to explain marketability.

14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2018, 21:21 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 21:05:
It is kind of a kick in the balls for the pros who didn't get big through streaming and have dominated in their respective games/genres. It's just a "marketability pick"... guy makes ESPN cover for playing fortnite and pounding energy drinks on twitch. EXXTREEME

He plays video games professionally, and he's the most popular and successful person to do so (I believe Pewdiepie has largely moved past just gaming.)

If you're not a video game player, are you more interested in reading about the most popular, a guy who is mentioned in rap songs, and knowing why he's gotten so popular, or are you interested in a bunch of nobodies that no one has heard of and no one will remember?

Were this a magazine targeted towards people who give a shit about pro gaming, I'd agree. But this isn't, it's targeted towards people who don't think video games can be professional. Starting with the most successful is a better place.

Whoa, Beam. Common sense overload. Could you dial it back a bit?

"I wish we had a better president than Trump."
--"Well the reason Trump is president [...]"
"No I get that, but there are better candidates because [...]"
--"He's president because he won the election!"
"Yeah, I said I get it."

11. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2018, 19:01 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 18:00:
Seriously, though, if you're trying to sell magazines and convince non-gamers that gaming is serious business, you don't focus on the guys making $50,000, you focus on the guy making tens of millions and hanging out with Drake.

You're still missing the point, he doesn't play games as sport (anymore). And he's not being paid millions to play games, he's being paid millions to stream. He's a content producer not a (cyber)athlete.

But yeah, there's nothing wrong with having someone tangentially related to sports on the cover of a sports magazine. It just would have been nicer if the first "professional gamer" on the cover actually competed in professional gaming still.

Also I've never asked for their reasoning... yet you've continued to explain their reasoning to me like I don't get it.

edit: $50K is the minimum... there are guys that were signed for $150K... and that's their base salary. Something that usually doesn't exist in the industry, typically they were only paid in winnings. With winnings included some OWL players are making ~$200,000 a year (league rules are the 50% of team winnings must be distributed to players, championship was $1 million to the winning team ~$80K per player). Top DOTA 2 guys can make millions, but that's mostly on winnings.
Also, anytime any eSport is airing it has more viewers than Ninja... not that that's really saying much, that a whole league is competing with one guy in his room... but audience-wise they still outdo him, which is sort of related to your argument about what goes on the cover.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 2018, 19:19.

9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2018, 17:33 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 17:05:
Sepharo wrote on Sep 18, 2018, 16:55:

ESPN aired the Overwatch Championships for a week... they could have put the winning team on the cover or something.

I get your point but doing this only causes more confusion, hell calling him the "most successful professional gamer" is weird in itself. He's the most successful streamer... he hasn't competed professionally since Halo 3 (at my local LAN in Detroit btw).

edit: I'm wrong about his competitive Halo history, I guess he has continued to do a tournament here and there but maybe ended in 2017.
https://halo.esportspedia.com/Ninja

The tournament I was thinking of was in 2015
https://halo.esportspedia.com/Gamers_For_Giving_2015
And they played Halo 2 Anniversary so maybe that's where I got it twisted.

Hey may play competitively, but he plays games for a living. That makes him a professional. Plenty of non-competitive sports make it into ESPN. So the question becomes is competitive gaming a sport because it's a game, or because it's competitive?

So this gets into the overdone "games are [not] sports" topic... But I wouldn't consider many games sports. Like I wouldn't call enjoying a single player story-heavy game "playing a sport". Incidentally, before Fortnite that's what a lot of game streaming was, people playing single player games for their viewers. Now if they were speed running that same game, competing with others for the best time, that I'd consider a sport.

And now we have to talk about "professional", in sports that's typically used to separate from amateur and professional, being that professionals are paid to play the sport. Ninja is not paid to play games as sport, he receives a percentage of revenue for driving viewers/subscriptions to Twitch. I suppose you could make the same argument for traditional sports, that ultimately the money comes from viewers viewing the sport... Also we watch and celebrate sports where the athletes aren't paid, like college and high school. But the Overwatch guys are getting a minimum contracted salaray of $50,000 to be on that professional Overwatch team, they can be given a larger salary than that if the team wants to keep them / negotiates... they're also paid a portion of the winnings that they stipulate in their contract. Ninja and other streamers don't get paid this way.

Oh well, good for him. He *was* a professional gamer who became very successful... after his professional gaming career ended.
I guess it would be like putting Strahan on the cover today because of his television success post-retirement.

7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2018, 16:55 Sepharo

ESPN aired the Overwatch Championships for a week... they could have put the winning team on the cover or something.

I get your point but doing this only causes more confusion, hell calling him the "most successful professional gamer" is weird in itself. He's the most successful streamer... he hasn't competed professionally since Halo 3 (at my local LAN in Detroit btw).

edit: I'm wrong about his competitive Halo history, I guess he has continued to do a tournament here and there but maybe ended in 2017.
https://halo.esportspedia.com/Ninja

The tournament I was thinking of was in 2015
https://halo.esportspedia.com/Gamers_For_Giving_2015
And they played Halo 2 Anniversary so maybe that's where I got it twisted.

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Sep 18, 2018, 14:04 Sepharo

Should put someone who actually does eSports on there...
Ninja is just a streamer.
He and Shroud are good but they're not pro competitive gamers anymore, they're pro streamers.

News Comments > Video Games Affect Grades... A Little
3. Re: Video Games Affect Grades... A Little Sep 18, 2018, 13:35 Sepharo

My gut feeling is that it would be a wash.
You increase your problem solving skills, get exposed to information that you may not have in school or at least supplement it, get better at focusing on a task... but study and homework time is possibly cut down.

8218 Comments. 411 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo