Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 8864 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact

121. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 01:40 Sepharo

I'm not sure why you think I needed any of that painstakingly restated...

Look at the parts I quoted from you two.
You're both acknowledging the advance, and that royalties are not paid until the advance is recouped. That's all I was pointing out.

The negotiating part is something else, and I didn't include it in my quote.
Just seems to make sense that if the publisher makes more (due to a more favorable cut from the storefront) theoretically they would recoup that advance faster and thus pay out royalties faster. Right?

Which seems to conflict with this:
The EGS 88/12 split, unless a dev is acting as their own publisher is not guaranteed to aid the developers in any way.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

118. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 27, 2019, 00:36 Sepharo

grudgebearer wrote on Jun 27, 2019, 00:30:
CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 23:47:
Re royalties: Due to the common royalties against advance model, the dev would definitely always benefit from maximized publisher profits because the sooner the publisher breaks even, the sooner the royalties begin to flow.

You don't seem to have a very good understanding of the imbalance of the publisher/developer relationship in the gaming industry.

Most devs are paid up font on royalties in a prepay structure from the publisher, and quite often royalty payments from the actual game sales are nonexistent until the publisher recoups all of their advance on royalties to the developer.

Isn't that what he said?

unrelated to the above:
I dare y'all to total up how many posts in this thread are actually people as upset about EGS as claimed vs the people making that claim and saying stuff like #113 #114 and #116 etc.

108. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 23:13 Sepharo

CJ_Parker wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 23:01:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 22:48:
Another competitive store? Yeah that's a good thing for consumers for sure.
A store that pays to remove choices from the consumers? Nah.

Doesn't seem complicated to me.

You mean a store that makes publishers an exclusivity OFFER, of course.

What is removing the choice from consumers is NOT the offer or the payment per se but the greedy as fuck publishers who ACCEPT the offer, fully well knowing that consumer choice will be (time) limited.

It is 100% the publisher's fault. THEY are the only ones who determine when, where, how, why a product of theirs gets published. If THEY take money from anyone for limited exclusivity then that's on them and their fucking unlimited greed. THEY are making the final anti-consumer decision, not EGS. THEY could say 'no' but they don't.

Yeah, as I said the last time someone wanted to point this out to me... I don't exclude them from the blame.

99. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 22:48 Sepharo

I dunno, maybe it's just me, but I don't need to be told WHY Epic is paying for exclusives. I get that part.

The part I don't get is why being upset about it isn't seen as reasonable. Or how it's somehow a "good thing" for consumers.

Another competitive store? Yeah that's a good thing for consumers for sure.
A store that pays to remove choices from the consumers? Nah.

Doesn't seem complicated to me.

87. Re: Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 22:18 Sepharo

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 22:10:
Even a blind dog get's a squirrel every once in a while --- Derek Smart
They're using their financial war chest to get exclusives in order to seed their store.

Yeah and he also says:
Gamers should be upset at the devs; especially at the Phoenix Point devs because that game was crowd-funded (47K people) with the promise that it would be coming to two stores; and now it's not.

So he definitely understands what people are mad about.

77. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 21:01 Sepharo

Slick wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 20:17:
No other community cares about what store they buy a product from more than the product itself.

Well you're wrong about that. It's a pretty common thing really.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse

9. Re: Morning Metaverse Jun 26, 2019, 19:20 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 16:48:
Bernie, no, please. That sort of thing is right up there with grandparents trying to rap to be "cool".

Or grandparents giving advice on how to, or not to, reach out to young people.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale

32. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 26, 2019, 19:16 Sepharo

Bodolza wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 14:47:
After burning through Obra Dinn, I'll have to pick up Papers, Please for $5.

Did you 100% it?
I loved that game.
I know he won't, but I'd take a repeat of the mechanics with a new story any day.

72. Re: Tim Sweeney on EGS' Impact Jun 26, 2019, 19:07 Sepharo

Slick wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 18:35:
grudgebearer wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 18:23:
Slick wrote on Jun 26, 2019, 18:10:
Think of how many games we've all played that have run on the Unreal Engine. Epic has contributed to the ecosystem. That and their engine licencing deals are quite generous to studios, I think it's like 5% only after you've made X amount of profit, and nothing before that. Pretty good to developers.

And then they undercut the ludicrous store tax so that studios can hope to make more money from THEIR FUCKING PRODUCT than the goddamn payment processor does.

There's an easy rubric to remember:

A) Epic has been directly responsible for thousands of games actually being made by indy to AAA studios.

B) Steam has middleman profited from the hard work of thousands of games by indy to AAA studios.

Now tell me which you're mad at again sheep?

BTW, I should have an RSS feed notification for whenever a member in this forum starts getting called a shill, as it probably means they actually have something intelligent to say in light of the ignorant reception this board usually provides.

What does any of that tirade have to do with consumers benefiting from EGS exclusivity?

There's no benefit, there's also no loss to the consumer. You're buying the same game you'd otherwise buy just from a different store.

You saying you care more about the store than the game?

Pretty fucked up. You know, because you're also saying you care more about Walmart making more money than the studio that made the game. Which is doubly fucked up.

If you don't give a shit about the people who make the games you love, then you're a turd.

If you insist on only buying from Walmart, then you're a mafia wife to the biggest monopoly in PC gaming.

I prefer to go to Kroger over Walmart personally.
And if something I was expecting to buy at Kroger recently became exclusive to Walmart, I'd be kind of upset about that.
Seems like a normal reaction.

News Comments > Monday Legal Briefs

12. Re: Monday Legal Briefs Jun 25, 2019, 23:46 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 11:07:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 10:41:
Beamer wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 07:56:
Slush54 wrote on Jun 25, 2019, 07:41:
Steele Johnson wrote on Jun 24, 2019, 21:52:
Why are we starting to see all these lawsuits now?
wall of rant
That's quite a rant not on the topic being discussed.
I sense Suppa7
I knew it felt familiar. Didn't realize Suppa7 was banned - about two weeks before this guy showed up. Given that half his posts were about the "theft of video games" by the people making video games, I'd say you're 100% correct.

It's definitely him, since just like his last re-made account he's saying "valve stole half life" again...
Which.. doesn't even make any sense.

News Comments > Steam Summer Sale

5. Re: Steam Summer Sale Jun 25, 2019, 18:40 Sepharo

I might pick up Civ 6 - Gold
Has the base games, 6 civ and scenario packs, and the first expansion... all for $29.54.

Even just the base game and first expansion alone and during this sale would come to over $35... So if you buy them together you save 5-ish bucks and get 6 civ and scenario packs.

News Comments > Heavy Rain Floods In

12. Re: Heavy Rain Floods In Jun 25, 2019, 01:28 Sepharo

I didn't catch the "in-house" part but his list included many non-Sony owned titles.
But this still can't really be compared to the GTA series which has been ported to other platforms many times past and present.
If you read the Quantic Dream wiki article you'll see that they were in a "partnership" with Sony, not just an temporary exclusive deal.
They also produced tech demos multiple times for PS3 and PS4 to show off the power of those systems.

Finally, these titles were published by Sony. GTA was not.

10. Re: Heavy Rain Floods In Jun 24, 2019, 23:36 Sepharo

jacobvandy wrote on Jun 24, 2019, 22:59:
These aren't Sony games, Quantic Dream is an independent studio. They're more akin to Rockstar with how GTA was a PlayStation exclusive for a while.

Nah it's a little different when Quantic Dream titles have been explicitly Sony console exclusive, and big hype titles that often get announced with the launch of a Sony console (not released until years later though).
Let me put it this way, it wasn't just happenstance that they were only on Sony.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

2. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 24, 2019, 18:56 Sepharo

Mobile hot spot hosting is such a blessing.

I procrastinated on some work a few days ago and when I finally went to do it I had a rare internet outage at home. It was maintenance and it was scheduled at a convenient time... just not a convenient time for a night owl like me. I was able to 1-press turn on my hotspot, laptop already had it remembered, and then I could still proxy into work. Got my shit done... and didn't need some lame excuse (which secretly probably wouldn't be believed) of "my internet was down, sorry".

1. Re: Heavy Rain Floods In Jun 24, 2019, 18:51 Sepharo

I already have these games... get to the Detroit already  

33. Re: Researchers Dropped 17,000 Wallets To Test Honesty In Countries Around The World Jun 21, 2019, 23:09 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 23:07:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 23:05:
Nah it's pretty clear what you said.
You don't get to interpret it for us and tell us it didn't mean what it said.
BTW, you're using "no harm no foul" incorrectly.
It's meant for the receiving party to excuse the sending party. You don't excuse yourself from an offense you've caused.

If you want to call a color red, that is clearly orange, that's you.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

30. Re: Researchers Dropped 17,000 Wallets To Test Honesty In Countries Around The World Jun 21, 2019, 23:05 Sepharo

Nah it's pretty clear what you said.
You don't get to interpret it for us and tell us it didn't mean what it said.
BTW, you're using "no harm no foul" incorrectly.
It's meant for the receiving party to excuse the sending party. You don't excuse yourself from an offense you've caused.

26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 21, 2019, 22:39 Sepharo

Jivaro wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 22:37:
I did just now, I was already typing I guess. Good for you to apologize so....convincingly.

"You lean atheist so there may not be as strong a moral reason to return the money."

-a bunch of words about why he didn't say what we think he said-
"Sorry if you were offended"

It's a common cognitive problem among the religious though.
Many can't imagine acting moral without a supernatural reason to do so... which is pretty sad.
And I see that kx recognized some other reasons that one could be moral, but they were presented as alternatives, and he doesn't believe they are equivalent, they're "not as strong".
But it's weird to me that he missed the easiest one: humanity.
It's innate, as are the baser instincts to murder and abuse, but just like our primate cousins, and mammals at large, we're social animals... we get benefits from being nice to each other. It's how we got to where we are... cooperation reciprocity love.

19. Re: Researchers Dropped 17,000 Wallets To Test Honesty In Countries Around The World Jun 21, 2019, 22:27 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 22:02:
RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 19:32:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 19:22:
Ah yes, the immoral atheist meme
bless you Sepharo.

We are all atheists with respect to other religions, and we atheists just take it one step further.
I just believe in one fewer god than you do. Grin

Your comment for context.

RedEye9 wrote on Jun 21, 2019, 17:46:
Here's my take. </=$400 gets returned, >/=$40,000 finders keepers.
In-between is if I think someone's watching.
My sister is an administrative assistant for a police department.
A person turned in a paper bag they found along the railroad tracks that had $28k. I would have ate a steak and invested in gamestop if that'd been me.

Most people with a religious background tend to rely on a moral compass that is guided by conscience, and depending on the situation would do the right thing. However, your comment above shows the opposite outcome. A binary condition drives your conscience, which is likely the result of where you live, who you socialize with, and how much wealth you have.

Just an observation.

History/reality shows that how moral one is has jack shit to do with one's religion.
Personally I've found the opposite, the atheists I know tend to be the ones that follow the "golden rule" and the religious the "I got mine".

11. Re: Researchers Dropped 17,000 Wallets To Test Honesty In Countries Around The World Jun 21, 2019, 19:22 Sepharo

Ah yes, the immoral atheist meme  

8864 Comments. 444 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >