Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 8112 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 23, 2018, 00:32 Sepharo

Dude thinks Gen Z are millennials and believes himself to be a part of Gen X... It's a pretty common mistake.

Though I'd say Beamer's range is a bit off saying closing on 40. I guess it depends on what he means by closing in on 40... I think the upper band is probably 35 currently.

It also depends on what 1badmf considers "20 somethings" because that uh covers 10 years, and 25-29ers are nothing like 20-24 probably.

31 here but not for much longer, I work with "20 somethings" too and they are not all as described. Also dank memes and even moreso mirror selfies transcend age. Shit mirror selfies are what old people do, the kids these days have crazy new front cameras on their phones, no need for a mirror.

Edit: From wikipedia, terms for those in the millennial - gen x gap/overlap:
"Names given to those born in the Generation X and Millennial cusp years include Xennials,Generation Catalano, and the Oregon Trail Generation."

lol Oregon Trial Generation, yep that's what we all played in "computer lab" on the Apple II's, but even then in ~1993 range the game was old as balls, Oregon Trail 2 wouldn't arrive until 1995

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > EA and AI, E-I-E-I-O
7. Re: EA and AI, E-I-E-I-O Mar 22, 2018, 22:19 Sepharo

necrosis wrote on Mar 22, 2018, 21:28:
I didnt come here to read cleaver titles.

Just here to make spelling mistakes huh?

News Comments > Out of the Blue
20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 21, 2018, 22:40 Sepharo

Man Epic has to be loving this...
Copying PUBG and making it more accessible must be the smartest thing they've ever done.

First Drake, now the NBA

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
26. Re: Sunday Metaverse Mar 20, 2018, 21:54 Sepharo

Task wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 09:38:
About Crimea, worth a read: What America Should Know about “Annexed Crimea”: “We the People of Crimea…” - Historical Perspective on Crimea by Oriental Review - Arina Tsukanova

Holy smokes that is some potent propaganda... You know that right?
A history of Crimea that starts in 1990 lol

edit: I have to admit I'm fascinated by this and just returned to it.

I noticed that your link has a headline that the story you linked doesn't have... Then I see it's mentioned in the comments section as a pingback, that takes to what you think is going to be the original article...

long wordpress link

A wordpress site? Oh wait, and this still isn't the original article, there's a source link at the bottom to this:

strategic-culture article link

I mean that's the apparent source trail if you follow the article links but I guess it could have been posted by the same author, Arina Tsukanova on all of these sites or possibly first on Oriental Review. But she does have different contribution links for the various sites:

https://www.strategic-culture.org/authors/arina-tsukanova.html
https://www.globalresearch.ca/author/arina-tsukanova
https://russia-insider.com/en/arina-tsukanova

Oh and here's her awesome article on how nice Russia is to the Crimean Tatars, where she completely neglects to mention they were ethnically cleansed from Crimea by the Russians after WW2.
https://www.strategic-culture.org/news/2017/04/01/crimean-tatars-myths-and-reality.html

This comment was edited on Mar 21, 2018, 00:55.

News Comments > How to Play Sea of Thieves Early (And For Free!)
6. Re: How to Play Sea of Thieves Early (And For Free!) Mar 20, 2018, 00:10 Sepharo

Numinar wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 23:50:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 22:39:
This game is going to be DOA unless they add some sort of progression.
It's not competitive enough to stand on it's own without it. So if you're going to have dudes sailing all over the place for hours to collect chests and skulls there better be a reason to do it other than cosmetic unlocks.

I'm a big fan of it, but I like free-wheeling hijinks. For me it feels like a co-op/pvp Sid Miers Pirates game. Simple pieces adding up to an interesting whole.

I hope it's successful enough to engender continued development, as I had fun on the three weekends I tried during the beta and will at least max out whats in there. Though in an age of free Fortnite and 1/3rd the price PUBG it may very well struggle. The Microsoft netflix for games thing might get it an audience though.

There is a bit of progression. As your faction rep goes up you can get slightly fancier missions, and you can buy fancy sails and shoes and hurdy gurdies or whatever.

But if you want to see numbers go up, well, there is every other bloody game released just waiting for you on steam. Vermintide 2 has a whole fucking lot of numbers that go up. Same with Destiny if you want something more relaxing.

I for one appreciate the fact that it's a real effort to hunt down, sink and rob other players in this game and when it happens they have nothing to cry about since you all have access to the exact same gear.

I think I agree with you on pretty much all of this...
But this game is getting a crazy amount of hype and I think people are going to get bored quickly and the MP aspect is going to die off quickly.
The gameplay just doesn't really seem there, not enough variation or purpose to the PvE and the PvP isn't competitive enough to stand on its own, there's nothing to "win". I'd like to see a more RPG like PvE or a more competitive MP, but right now it just seems like bad versions of both... But goddamn is the game beautiful and the concept so promising.
Who doesn't want to batten down the hatches and play an accordion and bail water etc. etc.

The Kraken stuff is cool though, maybe tons more big unique events like that could keep people interested... but after you defeat the thing what do you have to show for it?

sorry I'm rambling

News Comments > Epic Releases $12M Worth of Paragon Content
7. Re: Epic Releases $12M Worth of Paragon Content Mar 19, 2018, 23:38 Sepharo

Creston wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 23:30:
You know that game we're closing in a few weeks? Here's a ton of content for it. By the way, we're still closing it.

If you had 12 million dollars of content lying around, why did you decide to close it? Just stop developing for it, and leave it open for another year so people actually have the time to enjoy the content?

Sounds like you're confused. This isn't like new content or DLC or something... They're just releasing all the assets they developed so people can use them in their own games if they want.

News Comments > How to Play Sea of Thieves Early (And For Free!)
4. Re: How to Play Sea of Thieves Early (And For Free!) Mar 19, 2018, 22:39 Sepharo

This game is going to be DOA unless they add some sort of progression.
It's not competitive enough to stand on it's own without it. So if you're going to have dudes sailing all over the place for hours to collect chests and skulls there better be a reason to do it other than cosmetic unlocks.

News Comments > Epic Releases $12M Worth of Paragon Content
2. Re: Epic Releases $12M Worth of Paragon Content Mar 19, 2018, 19:23 Sepharo

This is pretty awesome of them.

News Comments > Myst Series Coming to Windows 10
14. Re: Myst Series Coming to Windows 10 Mar 18, 2018, 03:23 Sepharo

Rigs wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 02:48:
Genesys wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 00:12:
SlimRam wrote on Mar 17, 2018, 21:06:
I think I'm probably the only man on earth that has never played this series... I'll just leave this here:

*Turns in my gamer card and walks out the door, head hung in shame*

Don't worry; I've never played any of them either. I think I was playing the Gabriel Knight and Zork adventure games instead.

Nope, I haven't played it, either. I used to own it...or, well, my sister did. She was more on adventure games during the early-mid 90's. I remember when I got my IBM PS/1 486SX/25 for X-mas in '92, she went with me a few months later and we got Alone in the Dark thinking it'd be some kind of spooky puzzle adventure game, like a moving Myst. Although she didn't care for it, I really liked it. I could never actually get anywhere in it but it ran well on my system and looked and sounded creepy. Then she grabbed Myst sometime later on and I think I loaded it up and was immediately asleep, drooling. Drool

I never got around to asking her how far she got into it, though I know she did play it quite a bit for a while and the cd was almost always in her drive, even into the early '00s. Guess I'll never know. *shrugs*

=-Rigs-=

When you finally did get farther in alone in the dark it was so overwhelming. So many items and so many rooms just trying to clumsily combine everything with everything hoping to solve some problem... Also I was like 8 maybe.

News Comments > Quake Champions Spring Update Launches; Cheaper Mode Comes Tomorrow
20. Re: Quake Champions Spring Update Launches; Cheaper Mode Comes Tomorrow Mar 17, 2018, 18:35 Sepharo

Dear god..
https://i.imgur.com/BROkOK8.jpg

News Comments > Op Ed
54. Re: Op Ed Mar 17, 2018, 14:54 Sepharo

He redefined "activism" to be things he doesn't like... and if he does like a particular form of activism then it isn't "activism". I understand his other points but they don't support, "activism is pointless / without value".  

News Comments > Quake Champions Spring Update Launches; Cheaper Mode Comes Tomorrow
19. Re: Quake Champions Spring Update Launches; Cheaper Mode Comes Tomorrow Mar 17, 2018, 14:49 Sepharo

I played 4 maps of instagib last night, won the 3rd
And did it rocking my vanilla default character against a bunch of highly decorated dudes, felt good.

It was fun, but yes, all of the stupid abilities are in insta as well. So there are plenty of other ways to die that aren't a rail. And some big dumb robot can make a shield to block a rail, another champ can disappear, another teleport...
That shit shouldn't be in insta.

16. Re: Quake Champions Spring Update Launches; Cheaper Mode Comes Tomorrow Mar 16, 2018, 04:37 Sepharo

Droniac wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 04:33:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 16, 2018, 03:05:
edit: Nevermind, that shit ain't F2P you damn liars.
Forgot I was in the open beta, I ain't paying $30.00 to try out a new mode.

You can still play Quake Champions free via the (shitty) Bethesda launcher if you've played it in beta before. Otherwise it's in paid early access on Steam until they release it, when it will go F2P. That'll take a while yet, seeing as they still have to include CTF too.

As such, it having low player counts right now makes sense. Only people who REALLY want to play a new Quake have bought in (about 4x more than Lawbreakers at 285k). The rest will only try it when it actually releases for free, I'd imagine.

Ahh I forgot about the launcher, thanks for the heads up.
Just noticed I didn't have the game on Steam and it was priced to buy currently with no indication of F2P.

13. Re: Quake Champions Spring Update Launches; Cheaper Mode Comes Tomorrow Mar 16, 2018, 03:05 Sepharo

I only just now noticed the addition of Instagib.

I'm only slightly ashamed to admit that I'll be reinstalling to try that out.
That was my jam for years in Q3 with InstaUnlagged Q3DM17

edit: Nevermind, that shit ain't F2P you damn liars.
Forgot I was in the open beta, I ain't paying $30.00 to try out a new mode.

News Comments > Op Ed
51. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2018, 23:12 Sepharo

Okay so your problem is with certain kinds of activism not activism in general.
Also you have a very simplistic view of activism throughout history. Rosa Parks and MLK are two among hundreds of activist leaders and millions of activists who participated. To give them even 50% of the credit would be wildly exaggerating, the real bulk work was done by people you've never heard of and those people were activists engaging in activism and it wasn't pointless.

A quote from one of the leaders of the Woman's Suffrage movement:
"To get the word male in effect out of the Constitution cost the women of the country fifty-two years of pauseless campaign...During that time they were forced to conduct fifty-six campaigns of referenda to male voters; 480 campaigns to get Legislatures to submit suffrage amendments to voters; 47 campaigns to get State constitutional conventions to write woman suffrage into State constitutions; 277 campaigns to get State party conventions to include woman suffrage planks; 30 campaigns to get presidential party conventions to adopt woman suffrage planks in party platforms, and 19 campaigns with 19 successive Congresses. Millions of dollars were raised, mainly in small sums, and expended with economic care. Hundreds of women gave the accumulated possibilities of an entire lifetime, thousands gave years of their lives, hundreds of thousands gave constant interest and such aid as they could."

Those campaigns are activism. That activism convinced Woodrow Wilson and others to push for the 19th amendment.
But you, "see no value in activism of any kind."
Which is mind boggling and I think disingenuous without some kind of mental gymnastics to qualify that statement.

News Comments > Op Ed
49. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2018, 22:03 Sepharo

frequent examples that people tend to use to refute the assertion when analyzed more closely do nothing to disprove it when one realizes that what accomplishes historical change happens alongside activism but certainly not because of it.

Okay do your magic trick then, explain to me how the activism of the (50s and 60s) Civil Rights movement did not help to bring about the Civil Rights Acts of 1957, 1960, 1964, and 1968.

News Comments > Op Ed
47. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2018, 17:59 Sepharo

You're being ahistorical. And a rant about liberals is so misplaced since they hardly have a monopoly on activism.

But taking offense because someone points out the pointlessness of your efforts

Oh it's definitely not offense, just flabbergasted... like I said it's an absurd statement. Easily shown to be incorrect regardless if you want to claim it's an opinion. Activism has had an effect and is not pointless, therefore it has value.

And I don't think this site has been "liberal-heavy" for nearly a decade. I see far more MRA types than anything else, also a shit ton of islamophobics.

News Comments > Op Ed
44. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2018, 20:06 Sepharo

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 19:45:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 15:55:
Sorry I have to agree to some degree...
You made an absurd claim, that while couched as merely your opinion, doesn't change that it's so absurd that anyone engaging with you should seriously consider whether it's worth it.

Edit: Maybe some clarification is incoming... but to clear up from my end:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activism
You think none of that has/had value?
You are just asking for someone to make a note of who's worth responding to.

I'm not exactly positive of your meaning... but if I assume you're commenting on the fact that I didn't take my own advice ( ) ... I'd say that I'm engaging Prez because he's normally a smart, relatively sane, nice guy and I hate to see people I like say stupid things.

News Comments > Op Ed
42. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2018, 15:55 Sepharo

Sorry I have to agree to some degree...
You made an absurd claim, that while couched as merely your opinion, doesn't change that it's so absurd that anyone engaging with you should seriously consider whether it's worth it.

Edit: Maybe some clarification is incoming... but to clear up from my end:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activism
You think none of that has/had value?

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal?
23. Re: NVIDIA GeForce Partner Program Illegal? Mar 13, 2018, 01:31 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 09:20:
It's called exclusivity and that's been around since video games existed. That said, I am loathed to believe that nVidia having a stanglehold on the video card market is ultimately a bad thing for consumers.

I think you mean, "I'm loath to believe that nVidia having a stranglehold on the video card market is a good thing for consumers."

"loath" means reluctant or unwilling
so your original phrasing conveys that you're unwilling to believe that nvidia dominance is a bad thing... but I get the feeling you do think it's a bad thing

8112 Comments. 406 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo