Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 7521 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Stellaris Trailer
2. Re: Stellaris Trailer Apr 8, 2016, 20:20 Sepharo

Haven't had a chance to watch the full video or really read anything about this game... but skipping through video it seems like a 4X, like GalCiv. Is it not?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Out of the Blue
67. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2016, 20:14 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 17:25:
C'mon Seph, really?

Are you under the impression that I can't answer all of your earlier bullet points and more the same way that you've done here?

60. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2016, 05:45 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 03:10:
Sepharo wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 01:56:

It's almost like story drives a movie.

Yes, but story shouldn't also drive the characters. Characters should drive the story.

-R2D2 runs into Jawas and gets taken to the farm that Darth Vader's son lives on, because the story needs him to.
-Obi-wan is on Tatooine, because the story needs him to be
-Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen are burned to a crisp, because the story needs them to be

and on and on

58. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 8, 2016, 01:56 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Apr 8, 2016, 00:54:
BobBob wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 14:19:
I would like to see a Star Wars story revolving around a scientist or engineer responsible for the space flight technology, light sabers, or droid AI. -- Oh, wait, my bad. Star Wars isn't science fiction.

Hmm... Perhaps a philosopher or theologian deeply discusses the dark and light side; interpreting its impact on life's meaning and the purpose of existence. -- Ah, nope, will confuse the target audience.

How about a Star Wars story about normal person building all those infrastructures or simply living out a day in the life. Showing how the society operates and where it's heading. -- Oh my bad, unless it's a space battle, arena setting, or long drone political speech, the universe doesn't exist in that galaxy far far away.

What's my point?

Star Trek > Star Wars

I like them both for different reasons.

As far as any movie goes, I just want a good believable story. In A New Hope, the story flows from character actions and motivations. It both makes sense to us and adheres to its own internal rules.

The Force Awakens largely flips that on its head: the story is pulling the character strings.
- Rey can fix anything, because the story needs her to.
- Rey is a master pilot, because the story needs her to be.
- Finn helps Poe escape, because the story needs him to (justified, but weakly so).
- Maz has Luke's lightsaber, because the story needs her to.
- Finn battles Ren, because the story needs him to.
- R2D2 wakes up, because the story needs it to.
And on and on. Rey's one-movie arc is basically Luke's three movie arc.

It's almost like story drives a movie.

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans
32. Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 22:23 Sepharo

Hump wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 22:16:
a decent basic MP component included then Ill be ok with it. They can stick the "season pass" and "DLC" up their fat, aging asses

You're not going to get that unfortunately. You're going to step into a game where you haven't unlocked armor yet but everyone else has, regardless of DLC. And if you refuse to buy DLC, your opponents will have the BFG XL and it won't be an unlockable weapon, purchase only (at least initially).

30. Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 7, 2016, 21:30 Sepharo

Hump wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 21:10:
Christ, get ahold of yourselves. Its not 1994 anymore. Companies look for revenue streams. Its not like their locking one out of the content they buy. Theyre offering additional shit that you can either buy......or not.

I know, it sucks but its not like theyre fucking anyone over.

Yes and reputable companies do this in ways that don't hurt their game. Shitty companies do it in the form of community splintering DLC, P2W, unlocks, and just generally terrible decisions. And since this is hardly the wild frontier it used to be, they do this knowingly.

I would have loved for them to do something like what TF2 or CS:GO, or soon Overwatch, does but they went the easy greedy route instead.

49. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2016, 21:24 Sepharo

Ant is consistently the only person I ever randomly stumble upon in the internet. His posting and prescense so prolific that it makes the internet seem small.

In a completely different forum, not gaming related, someone links a 3 year old youtube video (also not gaming related) with only 3000 total views... And Ant has a fucking comment on it.

Not the first time this has happened either.

34. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2016, 15:24 Sepharo

Ecthelion wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 13:36:
I am cautiously optimistic about Rogue One. The use of classic content (AT-ATs, Mon Mothma, Star Destroyers, Stormtroopers, etc.) in the trailer was good. However I do have a few concerns. They seem to be playing up this rebel angle of the main character like she's "too much of a rebel for the Rebels". This is the same Rebellion that a few years later has Wedge speaking up to bitch about the exhaust port size in the Death Star attack briefing, and Han Solo being an insubordinate rogue. I get a slight nagging impression that Rogue One is going for a disciplined military feel for the Rebellion, which is silly. Sure, they had ranks in the OT but they were pretty informal most of the time. I also feel like Rogue One is trying its hardest to make this team like the Suicide Squad or the Avengers where they all have special abilities that make them almost like Jedi. The whole samurai guy taking on the Stormtroopers seemed out of place to me. I dunno, maybe I'm just a grumpy old coot but it seems like the movie is stretching the idea that this team is outclassed and outgunned. They just better not jump around like a bunch of Jedi. I thought the whole point is that these are regular people making a big sacrifice for the highest stakes, with most of them probably dying in the process.

The Star Wars Rebels cartoon has a mix of rebellious rebels and regimented/serious rebels. This movie looks to be continuing that.

News Comments > BlizzCon in November, Tickets This Month
7. Re: BlizzCon in November, Tickets This Month Apr 7, 2016, 04:37 Sepharo

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 01:26:
CJ_Parker wrote on Apr 6, 2016, 19:10:
Incredibly retarded.

Now I get Cutter's moments when he goes 'off the rails' but really wtf happened to you?

He got some attention for stupid posts, so he's full time now.

News Comments > Overwatch Multiplayer Preview
8. Re: Overwatch Multiplayer Preview Apr 7, 2016, 04:34 Sepharo

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 03:47:
So they are bringing in the same fantastic hidden system from Heroes of the Storm for the matchmaking?

*slow clap*

/sarcasm

Hidden? It's laid out in pretty excruciating detail right there in yellow.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 7, 2016, 02:10 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on Apr 7, 2016, 01:43:
Star Wars Rogue One trailer coming tomorrow

I wish they would rethink the way they're titling these anthology movies. You typed it the same way I do. And I'm always initially confused when I'm looking for it in a list or auto complete isn't finishing it etc... because the actual name is fucking Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Terrible.

You could call it Star Wars: Rogue One... It doesn't have an Episode Roman Numeral title, that's enough to distinguish it from the regular narrative series.

3. Re: Overwatch Multiplayer Preview Apr 6, 2016, 21:20 Sepharo

Actually, "easier time" is probably a bad way to word it. The players will be worse on both sides, so a "more frustrating time" is probably more accurate. In Rocket League you could pop up to Silver and have a finally good team, but if you lost a few times and fell back to Bronze it was like you were stuck in a hole you couldn't escape because the teammates would always be bad. The same thing might happen here in Overwatch but at least you'll stay at the Tier you reached, just might be stuck in division 1 for a long time.  

2. Re: Overwatch Multiplayer Preview Apr 6, 2016, 21:17 Sepharo

"while you can always be promoted to a new division or tier by earning enough points, you can never be demoted out of a tier once you've reached it—regardless of how many points you may lose, you can only ever move to a lower division."

Interesting... So the Division 1 in Tiers Advanced, Expert, and Master will fill up with players who maybe shouldn't be in that tier in the first place. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing, but it will be kind of funny going from say Advanced - Division 5 to Expert - Division 1 and actually probably having an easier time than the tier/division you just came from.

7. Re: DOOM Open Beta Next Week; DLC/Season Pass Plans Apr 6, 2016, 19:48 Sepharo

This unlockable weapons/armor shit and loadout kits is so anti- MP DM.  

News Comments > HTC Vive Ships & SteamVR Launches
7. Re: HTC Vive Ships & SteamVR Launches Apr 6, 2016, 03:45 Sepharo

I really want to play that Portal demo bad. I actually stopped the video on it because I saw how good it was getting and didn't want to spoil it. Can't wait to see what Valve ends up releasing for this system.  

News Comments > Evening Previews
12. Re: Evening Previews Apr 5, 2016, 16:41 Sepharo

VaranDragon wrote on Apr 5, 2016, 11:32:
Unlike most of you people here, Im still stoked for Doom, console port or not. Im through waiting for a true full blooded PC FPS game, as that will never come again, but a good console port might emerge every now and again. I really, really liked the first CoD:MW, it was fun, fresh and fast paced, so Im taking a wait and see approach and not going to judge based on what some guy wrote on reddit. Im still mainly interested in the single player game anyway, they have the chainsaw, they have the SSG, they have pentagrams, so they have to be on the right track at least.

It's not even about it being a port at this point but just having a terrible ruleset. You really want unlockable weapons and loadouts in an arena deathmatch game? That's idiotic.

News Comments > Evening Previews
6. Re: Evening Previews Apr 5, 2016, 02:30 Sepharo

Hey, levelup with XP and unlock the basic weapons and equipment of the game, isn't that a great idea? No, no it's not.
Loadouts suck. Console gameplay mechanic, through and through.
Health and Ammo shared between all weapons still.

WTF

Nope bye DOOM. You almost had me.
But with that shit it's not even close.

34. Re: fucking bullshit christians and their bullshit fake moralilty Apr 5, 2016, 01:55 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on Apr 4, 2016, 23:35:
So when he said "to the extent that you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me", he wasn't referring to the poor. Jesus was referring to how people would treat God's anointed – Jesus' brothers and sisters - in assisting them in carrying out their responsibility to preach the good news.

You surrounded it with a lot of unneeded stuff but the segment I've snipped is basically your quibble with the mainstream interpretation.

You believe the passage only refers to Christians, or if you make the distinction, anointed Christians... That's really how you'd prefer to interpret it? Help Christians? That's why you felt the need to tell someone, "I know precisely what those passages mean and they have nothing to do with what you're implying. If you were a bible study you'd know this." What kind of bible study goes out of its way to clarify "no not the poor, Christians actually."

Edit: Hmm, to answer my own question, apparently Reformed/Calvinist bible study. It just seems odd to me that any Christian denomination would actively push for an interpretation that isn't about helping any and all less fortunate.

This comment was edited on Apr 5, 2016, 02:03.

News Comments > Overwatch Widowmaker Cinematic
28. Re: Overwatch Widowmaker Cinematic Apr 5, 2016, 01:44 Sepharo

Yep typical ol' giant gorilla scientist and yogi AI robot.  

31. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2016, 21:14 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on Apr 4, 2016, 21:13:
Sepharo wrote on Apr 4, 2016, 21:09:
Still kind of odd to assume that a conversation is not going to be civil while it is still currently civil. Not to mention that you started the conversation today. Blue in the past has also cautioned against "grenade" posts where someone just drops something political to stir up shit and then leaves.

Since I'm apolitical I only see this as a social issue. When it turns into a political issue then I tune out.

You think the minimum wage increase is not a political issue? Good luck with that. Maybe you should just stop bringing it up all together if you don't like to hear other's views about it, especially in relation to your own (which recently changed).

7521 Comments. 377 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo