Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 8210 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

News Comments > New Steam Sales Estimate Method Shut Down
7. Re: New Steam Sales Estimate Method Shut Down Jul 6, 2018, 20:15 Sepharo

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 20:07:
Sepharo wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 19:48:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 18:29:
I don't know how accurate achievement data is, anyway, when you see stuff like this happen all the time: https://steamcommunity.com/stats/377160/achievements/

21% of people who have played Fallout 4 (this is distinct from those who simply own it) didn't 'Enter the Wasteland,' i.e. leave the tutorial vault? Bullshit. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, just didn't get the achievement for some reason. Whether by a glitch or using cheats/mods, etc.

It would not surprise me if that stat was true.
Many people buy games and never play them... not that I would ever do that.

oh wait...
https://i.imgur.com/dh2SV81.png

edit: err wait, just noticed your parenthetical "(this is distinct from those who simply own it)"
how are you determining that distinction?
afaik the steam achivement comparison pages look at everyone who owns the game not those who have played.
The arstechnica article is a good read.
The table represents a selection of the top games with Achievements on Steam, as ranked by number of total unique players (i.e. the number of Steam users who have played the game at least once)

I, for one, like looking at the numbers. It reassuring to know that Gabe makes enough money to get his stomach stapled should he ever want to go that route, without asking for donations.

They make that claim "total unique players" when they present the table but earlier in the article they say,
It's not exactly clear how Valve defines this "Achievement denominator," which approaches but doesn't precisely match up with the "players" statistics provided to individual developers. The new data also gives no indication of how many people own the game without having played it.

I just don't see how they're sure that the achievement denominator doesn't include people who haven't ever played the game. As far as I could tell the situation you describe with Fallout 4 isn't a bug. There are tons of people who don't get the very first achievement in tons of games, I always assumed the denominator included non-players who simply own the game.

edit:
I guess the original Medium article says it's not quite owners and not quite players... So I guess it's somewhere inbetween.
Still I don't personally believe that the very common sight of the first achievement not being achieved by a percentage of players means that the achievement system is bugged.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Steam Sales Estimate Method Shut Down
5. Re: New Steam Sales Estimate Method Shut Down Jul 6, 2018, 19:48 Sepharo

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 18:29:
I don't know how accurate achievement data is, anyway, when you see stuff like this happen all the time: https://steamcommunity.com/stats/377160/achievements/

21% of people who have played Fallout 4 (this is distinct from those who simply own it) didn't 'Enter the Wasteland,' i.e. leave the tutorial vault? Bullshit. Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, just didn't get the achievement for some reason. Whether by a glitch or using cheats/mods, etc.

It would not surprise me if that stat was true.
Many people buy games and never play them... not that I would ever do that.

oh wait...
https://i.imgur.com/dh2SV81.png

edit: err wait, just noticed your parenthetical "(this is distinct from those who simply own it)"
how are you determining that distinction?
afaik the steam achivement comparison pages look at everyone who owns the game not those who have played.

News Comments > Anthem Gameplay Video
34. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 19:44 Sepharo

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 17:32:
Meh, you guys are expecting too much. Look at this as 3D Diablo, blasting mindless AI with your friends while you chat, IRC style almost.

Only in 2018 the graphics are ridiculously better, people expect every game to be superior to the Witcher 3 in terms of story, and better than <insert your game of choice> in gameplay mechanics.

Since studios have gotten spanked a little about the lootbox/pay to win stuff, I'm hoping any paid extras are merely cosmetic, and all game-changing content is open to everybody. If there is a DLC paywall eventually, the coop group will re-evaluate later.

I think I, Cutter, and a few others are just saying we don't like the genre.
Game does look pretty though.

News Comments > Anthem Gameplay Video
32. Re: Anthem Gameplay Video Jul 6, 2018, 17:23 Sepharo

Cutter wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 12:13:
christheshitter wrote on Jul 6, 2018, 04:51:
I agree with Cutter this looks awfully dull just like a typical shitty third person consolegame does nowadays and has been for the last twenty years only exception is maybe the Zelda games.

Exactly. That's why I call these 'hamster wheel games'. Borderlands, Destiny, et al. it's all just shitty grind for variants of the same weapons. It's all courier and kill X number of rats quests. How the fuck anyone is vacuous enough to actually find that entertaining is beyond me. Jesus, it's fucking painful to watch the idiocracy of the world unfolding before your very eyes.

Minus the "I'm smarter than everyone" / idiocracy rant, I agree.
Not a fan at all of the FPS MMO genre of grindy bullshit BUT WITH GUNS!

News Comments > Battlefield V Squads Stream Today
10. Re: Battlefield V Squads Stream Today Jul 2, 2018, 19:03 Sepharo

Slick wrote on Jul 2, 2018, 18:00:
I killed Shroud once, Lirik once, Dr Disrespect 3 times, and Ninja 5 times.

None of them killed me once.

I have video evidence. A bunch of Ninja's followers stormed my channel, apparently after the 4th and 5th time I made him rage and he was calling out my name. Can't wait to get for his stream to end so I can watch that replay over and over a few hundred times ^_^

Oh and I wasn't stream sniping, I saw that they were on conquest servers and tried a few to see if I could get on the same server, but then I closed the feeds, I'm not a douchebag.

Nice!

News Comments > Battlefield V Squads Stream Today
9. Re: Battlefield V Squads Stream Today Jul 2, 2018, 19:02 Sepharo

Slick wrote on Jul 2, 2018, 18:08:
Well, that was fun

That's from your stream? Link it up.

edit: Nevermind, found it from an older post.

This comment was edited on Jul 2, 2018, 19:55.

News Comments > Turtle Rock Making Competitive FPS Sequel
20. Re: Turtle Rock Making Competitive FPS Sequel Jul 2, 2018, 18:54 Sepharo

My gut guess would be L4D3. Valve isn't stingy with its IP so even if they aren't a Valve studio they'd probably let them do it and work out some sort of deal like they did with L4D2 and CS:GO development.

But doing some more research, this game is being published by Perfect World Entertainment... the only previous FPS title they released was Blacklight Retribution... maybe it's a sequel to that.

News Comments > Battlefield V Gameplay Video
20. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 29, 2018, 23:36 Sepharo

Slick wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 22:58:
Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 22:20:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 18:16:
His positioning is excellent too, something I can't seem to do properly in PUBG. In BF I'm a rusher, I rush in and know that I can engage and kill 2 or 3 before they put enough rounds in me to go down. So I'll top scoreboard via kills, multi kill, vehicle destruction, flag caps... but typically my death won't be single digits (but the ratio will still be at least 2.5:1). And I'm not doing really any long distance.

I also struggle with tactical positioning, mainly because I'm an action junkie, and i find camping/sniping/etc boring as hell.

It's something i've struggled with in many games, but am making progress with. Playing quake for years, I was always the guy who would seek out and murder the campers/snipers anytime I was aware of them. I excel at the technical stuff like aiming, quickshots, movement and such, but finding the balance of patience and strategic positioning to go along with that has been a challenge. Hugely rewarding when you start to develop those skills though. Natural Selection 2 helped me a lot in that regard. Gotta be ready for those sneaky skulks ^.^

Positioning is 2/3rds of the ballgame. Shit, the saying in the old quake days is "map control is everything" where people could win against better shots by knowing where to be and when. It's not totally analogous to a modern FPS, but the core concept is the same.

A good player is in tune with their inner "Rambo" to charge-in when necessary, and their inner "camper" that makes use of available cover to get the drop.

If you have a squad that can do the latter, then immediately transition to the former, you can win at most of these games.

I've got killer map awareness just no patience.

News Comments > Fortnite Double XP; 50v50 Enabled; Event for Tomorrow Teased
2. Re: Fortnite Double XP; 50v50 Enabled; Event for Tomorrow Teased Jun 29, 2018, 23:30 Sepharo

rawbelly wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 22:49:
New genre: Stairway Shooter

Source Forts was the best MP fort game.

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jun 29, 2018, 22:41 Sepharo

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 22:20:
Sepharo wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 18:16:
His positioning is excellent too, something I can't seem to do properly in PUBG. In BF I'm a rusher, I rush in and know that I can engage and kill 2 or 3 before they put enough rounds in me to go down. So I'll top scoreboard via kills, multi kill, vehicle destruction, flag caps... but typically my death won't be single digits (but the ratio will still be at least 2.5:1). And I'm not doing really any long distance.

I also struggle with tactical positioning, mainly because I'm an action junkie, and i find camping/sniping/etc boring as hell.

It's something i've struggled with in many games, but am making progress with. Playing quake for years, I was always the guy who would seek out and murder the campers/snipers anytime I was aware of them. I excel at the technical stuff like aiming, quickshots, movement and such, but finding the balance of patience and strategic positioning to go along with that has been a challenge. Hugely rewarding when you start to develop those skills though. Natural Selection 2 helped me a lot in that regard. Gotta be ready for those sneaky skulks ^.^

I've played 18 years of CS and never held a corner AMA

The second half was mostly GunGame though, which is a race.

And in NS I either played skulk or commander.
Skulk was basically the same as the base vampire in the HL mod Vampire Slayer.
Rush rush rush.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2018, 22:54.

13. Re: Battlefield V Gameplay Video Jun 29, 2018, 18:16 Sepharo

Slick wrote on Jun 29, 2018, 16:37:
Not to toot my own horn, but I went 53-8 on my last round as assault. Although I'm sure this shroud guy is the bee's knees.

I'm typically top of the scoreboard as well, especially at the beginning of a BF launch. But I'm not doing it the way he is... I'm just amazed that he finds heads with those snap shots (I called it quickscoping earlier but really it's not exactly that, he's just damn fast). Like I don't even see what he's aiming at, it's a fuckin smudge through some smoke for half a second... but it's an HS.

here's the session:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsma22c8Et0
and a timestamp to see some crazy shit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsma22c8Et0&t=1829s

I'm sure you can pick it apart. But the guy just amazes me. Hopping in any shooting game like that and playing that way. I've played them all too, and I'm good right when I jump in... but I'm not that good. Guys like him are the reason I side-eye hackusations... it IS possible to be that good.

5. Re: Battlefield V Gameplay Video Jun 29, 2018, 13:00 Sepharo

Watched Shroud play this yesterday.
His first map playing he cracks off something like 30 sniper quickscope headshots and ended up going like 48-8 at #1 by almost 10,000 points.
The man is an FPS god, doesn't even matter what the game is.
I played Ratz: Instagib with him some months back, it's roughly equivalent to the various Q3 instagib mods I played for years. He destroyed the whole server, some of which who were clearly old instagib pros. It's nuts.

News Comments > Overwatch Hero, err, Champion Revealed
4. Re: Overwatch Hero, err, Champion Revealed Jun 29, 2018, 02:16 Sepharo

"Champion revealed" makes sense now that his lore is out there
He was champion of the mech battle arena in Junkertown but nobody ever knew there was a hamster inside.
Thus, the champion revealed

News Comments > Overwatch Tease and PotG Patent
5. Re: Overwatch Tease and PotG Patent Jun 27, 2018, 02:55 Sepharo

Ozmodan wrote on Jun 26, 2018, 12:35:
Another patent that has so many priors it is unenforceable.
I can't think of any.
Name a multiplayer game that evaluates all of the clients' play, scores them over time intervals, and then selects the highest scoring one to be displayed to the rest of the players.

The patent actually addresses previous similar, but less advanced, implementations (like simply replaying the final frag) but makes the case why theirs is different. They patented their methodology of doing this, not the concept.
Prez wrote:
I imagine that other games can and will do it, just be unable to call it Play of the Game or POTG.
Nah it wasn't the name that was patented it was the process.

This comment was edited on Jun 27, 2018, 04:51.

News Comments > Overwatch Tease and PotG Patent
4. Re: Overwatch Tease and PotG Patent Jun 27, 2018, 02:37 Sepharo

This particular claim on the patent doesn't even happen in Overwatch (yet).
10. The method of claim 1, wherein the video clip uses a third person perspective positioned to view an area where a portion of events of the play of the game took place.
Hopefully they'll add that though. 3rd person / remote cameras for POTG would be pretty cool. Right now they're all 1st person.

Another interesting thing is revealing that technically the category (sharpshooter, lifesaver, shutdown) is actually picked before the specific play is chosen. I would have figured it rated all of the plays, and then after picking one, simply displayed the category it happened to be in.

News Comments > Overwatch Patched - CTF Disabled
2. Re: Overwatch Patched - CTF Disabled Jun 26, 2018, 19:24 Sepharo

fawker wrote on Jun 26, 2018, 18:42:
This has got to be the most everyone gets a trophy game I have ever played.

Not saying it's a bad thing, but you can suck quite a bit and go unnoticed.

That has not been my experience at all. One bad player can effectively lose the match. Progress is made when you get into 6v5, 6v4 situations due to kills... if you're in that situation not because someone is dead but rather because they're bad and their contributions are negligible (or simply they're dead all of the time)... it's even worse. The other team is going to roll.

One good and common example:
Newer players tend to pick Soldier, he's an easy class to understand, not many special abilities... But if the other team has a Phara it is absolutely the soldier's job to use his hitscan weapon to shoot her down. If the player doesn't know that or can't aim then the Phara gets to live in the skies the entire match and rain high damage rockets down on to everybody on the ground. That Soldier is going to make or break the match. If someone has to leave their character to switch to another counter to do the job that the Soldier is neglecting... then team is going to be imbalanced and it's still likely a bad situation.

News Comments > Valve Shuts Down OPSkins CS:GO Trades
16. Re: Valve Shuts Down OPSkins CS:GO Trades Jun 25, 2018, 18:20 Sepharo

The fingers in the ears "la-la-la can't hear you" approach to criticism just ensures you'll never learn anything.  

4. Re: Re: Valve Shuts Down CS:GO Trades Jun 25, 2018, 02:35 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on Jun 25, 2018, 01:39:
@Sepharo - The headline isn't clickbait. Your brain processed what Blue posted as something else. This kind of tunnel vision comprehension goes to a more significant issue that I've seen on this site were many of you see something other than the posted words. I've called it out more than a few times.

You're a bozo.
And he changed it.

2. Re: Valve Shuts Down CS:GO Trades Jun 24, 2018, 20:39 Sepharo

What's the deal with the clickbait headline Blue?

Had me thinking they stopped CS:GO trading altogether... they (tried to) shut down one particular site's mechanism with a cease and desist.

The real story is that they aren't quitting Middlefinger haha

News Comments > Black Mesa Status
8. Re: Black Mesa Status Jun 22, 2018, 18:11 Sepharo

I liked Xen... I did not like the similar setting/gameplay shift that happens in HL2 when you enter the tower.  

8210 Comments. 411 pages. Viewing page 10.
< Newer [ 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo