Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 7597 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Overwatch Launches
8. Re: Overwatch Launches May 24, 2016, 03:26 Sepharo

I agree with most of your criticisms, especially the tick rate that causes lag shots from snipers when you've already made it to cover. The day 1 matchmaking is going to be obnoxious but the only way around that was not resetting beta progress, and even then you'll still run into issues simply because most people have yet to be sorted. If it's any consolation I found the matchmaking to be really good towards the ends of each beta run.

What I don't agree with is the idea of "broken combos", everything has a counter. I'd be interested to hear what you consider to be a broken combo. And as a Zenyatta main, I vehemently disagree with the notion that the developers don't want you to play support. Since you didn't give any details there I'm not sure what you even mean. Healing is very important, Lucio's speed is important, Zenyatta's 50% DMG curse is important, Mercy's revive, Zenyatta's super strong heal bubble ult. Awards are given for healing dealt out at the end of the round. You get elimination assists on guys you're healing. I think they've gone out of their way to make sure healing is rewarded and intuitive for the win.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Overwatch Launch Details
15. Re: Overwatch Launch Details May 24, 2016, 02:24 Sepharo

Brumbek wrote on May 24, 2016, 00:38:
If you're 13 years old and this is your first FPS, then you might find it amazing and unique. If you're experienced with team-based FPS games (Return to Wolf, Battlefields, CoD Domination, TF, TF2, CS...), Overwatch adds nothing new apart from cool art stuff.

You've managed to post here for 6 years and not realize that this argument has no merit at all? I'm 30 and I'm considered young here. I've played the shit out of all of those games and they are some of my favorites within my favorite genre. I don't give a shit about the Overwatch art, it has some of the best gameplay in MP FPS ever. It's literally hero focused, if you can't see that and think they're just for being "cool" with cosmetic differences or something then you fundamentally misunderstand the game and it's no wonder you're boiling it down to "well payload has been done before". Get a clue man, and try a better argument than telling old school MP FPS players that they're impressed because they're naive, it's literally the opposite.

12. Re: Overwatch Launch Details May 23, 2016, 23:19 Sepharo

Brumbek wrote on May 23, 2016, 23:06:
Overwatch's Payload mode has been done for YEARS and is STALE.

You should have said that then. Made it seem like your complaint was how similar it was to TF2 and not that you just don't like team/class based MP

Brumbek wrote on May 23, 2016, 23:06:
So what if they have shiny and cool characters? The GAMEPLAY is what matters.

The characters and their abilities are the essentially the new gameplay feature. You're focused on the mode (like zeroing in on deathmatch when games with deathmatch distinguish themselves by more than just that mode) instead of the rest of the game. It's like you're just realizing what a "genre" is and are suddenly mad about it.

10. Re: Overwatch Launch Details May 23, 2016, 22:55 Sepharo

TF2 did not launch with the payload mode. That was a later edition and they copied it from Wolf:ET.  

News Comments > Gilbert to Disney on Monkey Island Rights: "Call Me"
24. Re: Gilbert to Disney on Monkey Island Rights: May 23, 2016, 22:37 Sepharo

Now that's how you resurrect a thread.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue May 22, 2016, 02:11 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on May 21, 2016, 16:33:
Sepharo wrote on May 18, 2016, 21:37:
I randomly decided to watch the first Addams Family movie the other day. I don't think I had seen it since I was in the single digits. It's still a pretty fun movie that holds up. The acting, setting, script, all on point.

Is that one where Wednesday and Pugsley do that bloody play?

Haha yes, I had forgotten about that and it was awesome.

News Comments > Talos Principle 2 Revealed
9. Re: Talos Principle 2 Revealed May 21, 2016, 12:29 Sepharo

Kajetan wrote on May 21, 2016, 08:00:
The gameplay was decent, but i hated the savegame system. When dealing with more complex puzzles you couldnt save your progress so far with this puzzle (real life often has the tendency to interfer with my gaming time), you always had to start the puzzle all effin over again.

Didnt finished it, stopped after half of the game, tired of this save behaviour.

All of the puzzles are very short and restarting them is something that needs to be done frequently as you're figuring them out. This is a really odd complaint.

21. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2016, 19:05 Sepharo

Blue you didn't prepare for the VR?

I had the laser eye surgery 4 years ago (or whenever it was) to be ready. Hate contacts

37. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2016, 16:40 Sepharo

descender wrote on May 20, 2016, 15:36:
I'm happy for you that your job is so simple and lacking in responsibility that your boss doesn't care what type of person does it. Sounds like a great business model! /s

You are going to great lengths to avoid the actual topic at hand... what a waste of time this was. No one cares about your company or your particular situation. How many times does it have to be brought up that testing generic office drones is not being discussed here by anyone but you? How many more times can you ignore the very real reasons why employing someone at risk of being thrown in jail at any random moment is a bad idea?

Where is the outrage at background checks? How is that any more or less of an invasion of your privacy? It seems you only very specifically care about you, your job and your drug situation. That's fine but admit that up front, don't try to play it off as if drug tests are "insulting" in any way. If anything, your expectation of employment with no strings attached is the most entitled and insulting thing in this entire thread.

I think you're trying to make my point larger than it is.
This is my personal opinion. You're not going to change it. There's nothing to prove wrong here.

But lacking responsibility? No it's the opposite. We're expected to be professionals here, we have autonomy in our solutions, we work directly with customers, anyone can contribute and are treated with respect.

The only reason my own company has come up is because it's an example of an office that doesn't drug test its employees. It's a tangent to show that it's possible and something that exists out there in the world. I believe that employees that are treated with respect will give it back in return and I see that everyday.

35. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2016, 14:50 Sepharo

HoSpanky wrote on May 20, 2016, 14:34:
Wait until one of your coworkers claims 50 hours of overtime when no one's seen him for weeks.

There is no overtime, so that's not an issue here. But even if there was, if someone was found to be abusing it they would be fired.

As far as all this weird hypothetical stuff in the rest of your post... I don't have to deal in hypotheticals. I'm describing the reality of the company I work for. We're salaried professionals here with lots of autonomy. I came in at 2PM today, I'll probably leave at 8, and then I'll put another 2-4 hours in back at home after dinner.

You guys work with scumbags I guess and apparently that means I'm not allowed to think that drug testing office employees is insulting. I guess you can have that. I'll continue only working at places without scumbags I guess where the employers respect their employees. If we have a scumbag here we'd fire them I suppose, not impinge on the rest of the workforce.

33. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2016, 13:18 Sepharo

Guy, I said at least 3 times now that I find the whole concept insulting. There is really no other point to be made. I would never work for a company that did such things to its employees. Employment is built on mutual respect. I'm a human being, not some machine or animal to be shuffled through testing programs. This is my 4th job in 12 years (been here for 7) never had a drug test (from work) before, never will. Another thing that might blow your mind is that we don't have a time clock or a dress code. We are allowed to make these decisions on our own because the company respects us and only cares that we're producing.  

News Comments > Talos Principle 2 Revealed
6. Re: Talos Principle 2 Revealed May 20, 2016, 13:11 Sepharo

It's close... But I think Talos slightly edges out The Witness for best recent puzzle game in my opinion.

This comment was edited on May 20, 2016, 18:24.

31. Re: Out of the Blue May 20, 2016, 03:19 Sepharo

Mordecai Walfish wrote on May 20, 2016, 02:15:
3 days for uppers and 30 days for weed. If you don't have the willpower to stop for long enough to pass a drug test, go buy one of the numerous kits that can help you pass it. Pretty easy really. If you live in a place where it's illegal and are trying to get a job, be prepared.

If it's just urinalysis it's essentially a test of your ability to research and follow instructions.
Day before go heavy on the creatine, supplements or red meat.
Few hours before test drink water until pissing clear.
Eat some rolaids for specific gravity.
Take vitamin B2 for yellow color, or an energy drink works really well too and will keep you needing to go.

Pissing water will be flagged as dilution normally. But the quick and easy ways they determine that are color, creatine, and specific gravity and you can cover all of those. Do a test run the day before with the home test, to at least make sure the dilution aspect is going to work for you.

28. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2016, 23:42 Sepharo

My argument is that it's insulting and unnecessary.
It has nothing to do with whether it's a choice or not.
If the idea is that it's detrimental to the company and that's why they test for it... well then there's a whole suite of tests that need to be done because there are lots of things that could be detrimental to the company.

Measure my performance and value to the company. Not the composition of my blood or urine.

25. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2016, 22:34 Sepharo

I said drug testing office workers is insulting. I don't care what the test is for. My employer doesn't need access to my bodily fluids to determine if I'm good enough to work for them.

Should they also test my blood sugar? What if I'm diabetic?
How many hours of sleep do I get a night?
Maybe I have sleep apnea... A dead employee is also a bad prospect.

Sorry, before you work here we're going to require you to sleep over night at this testing center. We're going to hook up all of these wires to you because sleep deprivation has been shown to effect performance on nearly an equal level with some drugs.

23. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2016, 21:20 Sepharo

Orogogus wrote on May 19, 2016, 21:04:
As descender and the article touched on, drug testing is heavily concentrated in a few industries, mostly where showing up impaired can have serious consequences to the user and others -- it started in the US military after a serious incident on an aircraft carrier (14 dead, dozens injured, several planes put out of commission) and very soon branched into other branches of the federal government, specifically in safety-sensitive occupations.

The federal government has tried at various times to encourage general drug testing, and states have done the same (the article mentions how some provide a break on compensation insurance rates), but outside of safety-related jobs generally related to transportation, it's not mandated. Compensation is a fairly big thing in construction, where drug abuse is rampant, especially, as the article notes, among white guys.

The majority of white collar office workers don't get tested. When they do, it's usually because of the workers' comp insurance thing. A lot of employers specifically want THC tests that are less sensitive to avoid cutting too many employees and candidates for what they often also perceive as a non-issue.

Drug testing office workers is insulting. I'd say the same about every job but I do understand the safety concerns around driving and/or operating machinery. I've always said that I'd never work somewhere that required or randomly drug tested, whether or not I was doing drugs. Being forced to piss, take a hair sample, or a blood test for your employer is some draconian shit.

News Comments > Overwatch Launch Plans
2. Re: Overwatch Launch Plans May 19, 2016, 20:05 Sepharo

I'm moving on the 25th (which means I'm preparing to move in the days before that). And then I'm going on a trip 26th-1st... My Overwatch friends are going to be pissed. I'll basically be missing the first week of play.  

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2016, 19:48 Sepharo

descender wrote on May 19, 2016, 19:42:
A standard field test for balance, reactions, all that jazz is sufficient.
There is a reason that they have to administer a breathalyzer or blood test in a DUI case. A field test based on "all that jazz" is not, in fact, sufficient evidence in court.

Alcohol has the same metabolism issues you are attempting to raise here, and testing for edibles will always be an issue... but there will absolutely be a "THC breathalyzer" in the next few years to catch smokers, they already exist.

There are many companies looking to create and sell such devices to law enforcement but no science will ever back them up. I definitely won't be surprised if agencies start using them, it doesn't mean they're correct. Look what just happened with hair in forensics... Turned out the FBI had been making shit up for decades and the science wasn't sound.

16. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2016, 19:35 Sepharo

descender wrote on May 19, 2016, 19:33:
Maybe you should go back and read the discussion then Sepharo, you misunderstood Cutter's post and my post.

I always back read. The only point I'm making (and was backing up Cutter on) is that Marijuana has the longest detection times in all manner of drug tests of the scheduled drugs... and it also happens to be the least dangerous of all those drugs.

And no, they won't be able to devise a test for being actively under the influence of marijuana. It's extremely subjective and measuring quantities isn't effective since even the blood tests can be positive 7 days afterwards. A standard field test for balance, reactions, all that jazz is sufficient.

14. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2016, 19:29 Sepharo

descender wrote on May 19, 2016, 19:02:
That is definitely not the same test. If you get in an accident and they suspect you are high you are not peeing in a cup or giving a hair sample. They arrest you, you have your blood taken from you and tested... unless you refuse the test and they assume guilt.

With the inevitable explosion of the pot industry in the US, proper field testing equipment is not far behind. Just because they are going to legalize pot doesn't mean they are going to let everyone be high all the time anywhere they want, just like you can't do that with alcohol. Don't confuse field tests with the reasons that employers test their employees though.

Drug tests during hiring are essentially an extension of a background check. Random drug/alcohol tests throughout employment are pretty rare but usually quite warranted.

I'm positive we're not having the same discussion so I'll let you have your unrelated points in peace.

7597 Comments. 380 pages. Viewing page 7.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo