Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for Sepharo

Real Name Sepharo   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Sepharo
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description I like games... Hi.
Homepage http://steamcommunity.com/groups/detroitgamers
Signed On May 29, 2003, 01:51
Total Comments 8751 (Guru)
User ID 17249

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Google Stadia Launch Lineup

24. Re: Google Stadia Launch Lineup Nov 13, 2019, 02:53 Sepharo

jdreyer wrote on Nov 13, 2019, 02:31:
Beamer wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 10:48:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 10:32:
Beamer wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 10:19:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Nov 11, 2019, 23:16:
Ugh. What is the target market for this sort of thing? Definitely almost no one on Bluesnews, one would think. Defintely not most 'kids' who don't even have PCs these days, just tablets and phones, and a console maybe.

Hopefully this dies immediately, but clearly we are in the darkest timeline, and this will kill off gaming as we knew it.

I mean, you answered your question, no? Who is the market? People that don't even have PCs.

I'm not sure how you missed that, but yes, the market is people who want to play PC games but do not own a PC. Or people that travel frequently and want to be able to continue playing something while trapped in a hotel room with just their underpowered work laptop, or their iPad.

I wasn't thinking people would actually try to play games on a microscopic ipad screen, but hey people play games on their damn phones, so you're probably right. My comment was more that the phone/ipad demographic has zero interest in pc games, but Google has probably done a billion dollars worth of research and focus group testing, so I'm probably in the extreme minority who has no interest in this. The end is nigh, etc.

Virtually all the launch titles are also on consoles.
There's absolutely a market here. Is it a big one? Who knows? But it isn't us, you're right about that.

Which is fine. Lots of people here just mock everything not made for them as dumb or stupid. But we're all men in our 30s and beyond. Not much is made for us anymore. We're not a big spending demographic.
Actually we are. We're the ones with the money. Millennials and GenXers don't have cash.

Millennials ~ 24 - 39 years old
GenXers ~ 40 - 55 years old

It's weird to me that there are still people who don't know this.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc., etc.

4. Re: etc., etc. Nov 12, 2019, 23:33 Sepharo

I've been at my company for a decade... the first half I sat in a Herman Miller... then we moved buildings and they got new ones... they let us keep the old ones before realizing their price on the secondary market.

So now I've got a Herman Miller at home, and one at work... one is 10 years old the other 5... both essentially in perfect operation. Computer chairs I used before that would typically break at 1.5 to 2 years.

It's some quality shit, but yeah, damn pricey, never buy a new one... buy used or make your company buy it

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 12, 2019, 23:11 Sepharo

nm  

6. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 12, 2019, 20:50 Sepharo

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 09:32:
First, I admit I didn't know there was a "Civil Rights Act of 1866". Although I suspect I might have heard or read about it previously and simply do not recall it.

A handy place to read up on all of them:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Rights_Act

1871 is one of my favorites because the federal government cracked down on (went to war with) the KKK when the southern states looked the other way. It was controversial because it suspended habeas corpus and used federal troops in police action... the latter of which was outlawed by Posse Comitatus Act which was passed a few years later by a compromise during a contested presidential election where congress agreed to pick Republican Hayes as long as that act would pass.

News Comments > Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store

36. Re: Death Stranding Simultaneously Coming to Steam and Epic Games Store Nov 12, 2019, 20:12 Sepharo

I am curious about what the game world will be like for very late adopters.
If I play the game year from now will there be ladders and ziplines absolutely everywhere? Will I miss out on barren areas or seeing the world slowly get populated?
Will things eventually expire? Will there be a reset? Can I turn off the additions if I wanted?

3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Nov 12, 2019, 19:56 Sepharo

Saboth wrote on Nov 12, 2019, 19:24:
Never understood the theory the Constitution doesn't apply at the border. Never made any sense at all.

Not that I necessarily agree... but some of the history and reasoning is here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Border_search_exception

News Comments > Age of Empires IV Release Date Reveal This Week?

2. Re: Age of Empires IV Release Date Reveal This Week? Nov 11, 2019, 23:20 Sepharo

Because we literally know nothing about it other than it's published by Microsoft and developed by Relic.

Hell even the art shown in the announcement trailer apparently came from AoE 3 concept work.

News Comments > Op Ed

11. Re: Op Ed Nov 10, 2019, 00:16 Sepharo

Muscular Beaver wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 23:45:
Well, I knew already that Ninja is an unlikable douchebag.
But theres still the question how he got where he is now. Unlikable douchebags seem to be all the rage. Always have been.

He won the Halo 2 tournament at a LAN I was at when he was really young.
Then became a top name in professional Halo, was early in on streaming, got even bigger there playing Fortnite. That's about it.

News Comments > Op Ed

9. Re: Op Ed Nov 9, 2019, 15:08 Sepharo

Gadzooks wrote on Nov 9, 2019, 10:29:
Regardless of what they semantically call it, OW2 is an expansion, not a sequel.

Otherwise, EVERY one of WoW's expansions, in the mind of the Overwatch team, is a sequel. They behave the same exact way.

1. Existing players dont need to buy it to continue to access the live service features.
2. Everything you had from the version before carries over to the new "sequel"
3. Players from the original version and the "Sequel" can still play together seemlessly, as long as its not in the new "Sequel only" content.
4. Non-purchasers of the "Sequel" will still continue to get engine updates, game patches, and any content that affects the "base" game.

Not a sequel. And expansion.
Not sure what trying to change the perceived name is going to do, Props for them breaking free of the typical "Call of Duty Sequel" system however

They needed a bunch of big announcements so they fast tracked Diablo 4 and renamed a huge content update for OW to OW2 and decided to charge for it.

News Comments > Op Ed

47. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2019, 22:10 Sepharo

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 21:58:
Sepharo wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 21:32:
Hell for that matter I don't think I ever finished LOTR either, and that has multiple restarts over my life.

That doesn't mean I'm going to stop starting long games and books though.
Bring 'em on, make the first half or so really good too
LOTR books aren't even that long... I just looked and the 50th anniversary edition of all three books is just under 1200 pages. So roughly 400 pages per book. That said, I think the length of a game (or book) is a legitimate consideration during your purchasing decision. Especially if the time you have available for entertainment is limited.

I mean that's not to say I haven't finished other books and series.
Dark Tower (including Wind Through the Keyhole) was like a whole era of my life lol

News Comments > Op Ed

45. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2019, 21:32 Sepharo

An extra long book can definitely feel that way sometimes.
I never did finish The Winds of War and I started it twice.

Hell for that matter I don't think I ever finished LOTR either, and that has multiple restarts over my life.

That doesn't mean I'm going to stop starting long games and books though.
Bring 'em on, make the first half or so really good too

News Comments > Op Ed

5. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2019, 21:28 Sepharo

The thing to keep in mind is that Ninja is also a "stupid kid".
He doesn't know anything else but professional gaming / streaming.
But yeah, you get caught blatantly cheating and you're out for life.
Don't do it kids.

News Comments > Op Ed

34. Re: Op Ed Nov 8, 2019, 17:26 Sepharo

I haven't finished a long game in forever.
I could do small play sessions, but what typically happens is another game comes out or I get busy with something else in life... and then I find it too daunting to come back to the epic game, not remembering where I was or what was going on... and typically fighting enemies that are too difficult now that I sorta forgot how to play.

News Comments > Out of the Blue

99. Re: Out of the Blue Nov 8, 2019, 13:08 Sepharo

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 8, 2019, 08:58:
Patreon, Patreon, Patreon! Or something like it anyway...

Yes, I'm already donating to two other ancient sites via Patreon and will gladly donate to this one as well. Not looking for ad removal or anything like that myself... just want to give to something I've enjoyed for over 15 years for free.

General Discussion > Feedback on responsive layout

51. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 01:17 Sepharo

Oh hell yeah!
Just discovered that I can "request desktop site" and I still get the new reactive design but it takes up the whole width with no side blank..
And best of all I can zoom in and out again!

Back in business baby
https://i.imgur.com/mKwiqRL.png

50. No subject Nov 8, 2019, 01:06 Sepharo

If I keep switching my phone between vertical and horizontal the area the site occupies gets smaller and smaller.

https://i.imgur.com/0kfly1c.png

Galaxy S6, Android 7, latest chrome

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials

2. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials Nov 8, 2019, 00:57 Sepharo

lol  

23. Re: Small Tweaks Nov 6, 2019, 16:41 Sepharo

Kxmode wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 16:13:
Staunch wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 15:13:
Just loaded it up on desktop.

The sidebar width could be adjusted with this CSS to make it a bit narrower on wide screens:

#left-menu { max-width: 230px; }

That will widen the main content area to fill the extra space.

On desktop it definitely feels more "normal, like the old style" to me at 90% zoom, but I'd definitely get used to the current sizing of text.

We use Bootstrap to create a "grided" layout.

On the desktop, the side menu uses a grid size of 2 (which translates into 16.666667%), and the main content area uses a grid size of 10 (which translates into 83.333333%). Together, those values equal to 100%. We would not want to change the width to an absolute pixel value as that would create scale-ability issues.

He's not setting it to an absolute pixel value, just setting the max.
It can both be dynamic and have a maximum still.

16. No subject Nov 6, 2019, 14:40 Sepharo

Beamer wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 14:16:
For comparison, on an s10

https://imgur.com/CSx6JPe

Looking closer now, I suppose mine is between your's and redeye's screenshots...

You get the full first article and a bit of the headline of the next,
he gets just the headline of the first
I get about half the first article

just different resolutions I suppose...
I just miss zooming in and out personally

12. No subject Nov 6, 2019, 14:08 Sepharo

Frans wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 13:42:
RedEye9 wrote on Nov 6, 2019, 10:50:
I'm not liking the [mobile] mainpage. It's a little busy and doesn't really tell the average user what's up.
https://imgur.com/SyCfoMa

I know this can be resized on my end.
Which device/OS? Your font size is huge.

That's what mine looks like too on Galaxy S6*, same large font.
I guess I'm a weirdo for liking tiny fonts on phones, hate excessive line breaks.

*(android 7, everything updated, latest chrome)

8751 Comments. 438 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >