Total Posts
9213 (Guru)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

9213 Comments. 461 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    461  ] Older

Re: 1971: Indian Naval Front Announced
Mar 1, 2021, 23:12
Re: 1971: Indian Naval Front Announced Mar 1, 2021, 23:12
Mar 1, 2021, 23:12

jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2021, 21:16:
Yeah, they're not even subtle about it: "Take down Pakistan!"

Doesn't seem weird when U.S. developers make games where we go to war with Germany/Russia/China... but yeah it does seem kind of weird when India does a Pakistan game.
But I guess it's not any different.

Re: Doom Eternal Earned $450M in Nine Months
Mar 1, 2021, 00:55
Re: Doom Eternal Earned $450M in Nine Months Mar 1, 2021, 00:55
Mar 1, 2021, 00:55

Acleacius wrote on Feb 28, 2021, 22:23:
Well then consider it braindead if you wish.
It seems you really have a low bar for
biggest contributors in gaming history and possibly a genius.

His "so called genius" was pretty heavily cracked since doom 3 and beyond.
He basically made an engine with so many layers of mapping, any engine designer could have done it.
It ran like such a piece of shit, I don't think the networking multiplayer ever got fixed.
Loosely quoting here, his "so called genius" also publicly stated "he didn't care what customers/fans wanted, he made what he wanted."
When half of id tried to explain "jump scares" were a thing of the past during doom 3 development, he basically bought all their shares and fired them.
Then, thankfully he started playing with his rockets. At least keeping him out of the gaming industry has been a big boon, regardless of your fan worship.
He deserved to be fired, I can only hope he never comes back to gaming. There's too many sociopaths in the industry.

What a wild summary of John Carmack lol
"The thing he was most passionate about in life was jump scares and I hate him for it."
"He made an engine with a lot of layers, big whup."

Re: Valheim Passes 4 Million Players
Feb 25, 2021, 22:52
Re: Valheim Passes 4 Million Players Feb 25, 2021, 22:52
Feb 25, 2021, 22:52

Numinar wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 06:29:
I'm all in on this, solo ATM. Hoping they bring it to Xbox so I can get the kid in.
The graphics seem horrid at first but like Sea of Theives, the technical art is world class and the whole style grows on you and gels so quickly, for me it's one of the most beuitiful things I think I've ever played. The way lighting, fog, shadows all interact is better than anything I've seen before. Those stroms are wild! Nighttime in the forest? Goosebumps! The fog over the depressions, the eyes of the tree zombies in the dark, the 30 meter high troll getting pissed at the racket you are making at that coal deposit? Frightening! The dungeons are simple but channel that classic Morrowind vibe in a way I've missed since 2002. I think it does mood and ambiance better than SoT and RDR2. But the expeditions are actually scary, fun and profitable on land unlike SoT.

Really good stuff. Might be the first actual minecraft killer for me. Only took over a decade!

I agree with all of this. Really love the art and feel of this game.
Some of the most real feeling forests I've been in, with the mossy logs, tree variety, even the trees growing at extreme leans!
I love the little moguls and big old dead stumps, the valleys, the rivers. It's very nice and looks right.

Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project
Feb 25, 2021, 22:38
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 22:38
Feb 25, 2021, 22:38

Kxmode wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 22:34:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 22:32:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 22:27:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 20:02:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 16:59:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 04:35:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 00:34:
I called this a Games as a Service (GAAS).

You called an MMO a GAAS and want some kind of investigatory credit or something?
That's what MMOs or online only games are basically by definition.

I never called MMOs a GAAS product.

"What is NOT a GAAS:
- World of Warcraft isn't a GAAS because vanilla WOW launched as a complete feature product where a player could experience the entire game from start to finish (up to level 60)."

Posted Oct 7, 2019

Well you are 100% wrong on that one...
MMOs are the quintessential example of games as a service. Perhaps you should look it up.

You keep saying this repeatedly, and I keep reminding you that I work for an eCommerce company that builds "AAS" software. So I know what I'm talking about when applied to "AAS" software (and it equally applies to Games-as-a-Service). As I repeatedly stated ad nauseam, anything "AAS" represents something continuously integrated upon (that is to say, the product is incomplete). MMOs aren't "AAS" products because the products release as completed products. Any additional content they release doesn't finish the existing product. Instead, it expands it. We call those expansions and DLCs. Again, those are not "AAS" products.

I've literally been working as an enterprise software developer for 12 years making SaaS product... so that credential on your side isn't going to sway me to disregard that MMOs are games as a service... and all explanations and examples, save for this passionate guy on this forum, call MMOs an example of GAAS.

You can your viewpoint and I can have mind. We can agree to disagree.

It's not just you and I disagreeing, it's you disagreeing with everyone.
You have a personal definition that's not reflected in either the industry or common parlance or really logic for that matter.

Feb 25, 2021, 22:32
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 22:32
Feb 25, 2021, 22:32

Kxmode wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 22:27:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 20:02:

You called an MMO a GAAS and want some kind of investigatory credit or something?

"What is NOT a GAAS:
- World of Warcraft isn't a GAAS because vanilla WOW launched as a complete feature product where a player could experience the entire game from start to finish (up to level 60)."

Posted Oct 7, 2019

MMOs are the quintessential example of games as a service. Perhaps you should look it up.

You keep saying this repeatedly, and I keep reminding you that I work for an eCommerce company that builds "AAS" software. So I know what I'm talking about when applied to "AAS" software (and it equally applies to Games-as-a-Service). As I repeatedly stated ad nauseam, anything "AAS" represents something continuously integrated upon (that is to say, the product is incomplete). MMOs aren't "AAS" products because the products release as completed products. Any additional content they release doesn't finish the existing product. Instead, it expands it. We call those expansions and DLCs. Again, those are not "AAS" products.

I've literally been working as an enterprise software developer for 12 years making SaaS product... so that credential on your side isn't going to sway me to disregard that MMOs are games as a service... and all explanations and examples, save for this one passionate guy on this forum, call MMOs an example of GAAS.

Feb 25, 2021, 20:02
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 20:02
Feb 25, 2021, 20:02

"What is NOT a GAAS:

Posted Oct 7, 2019

Re: Gatherings & Competitions
Feb 25, 2021, 19:31
Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 25, 2021, 19:31
Feb 25, 2021, 19:31

jdreyer wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 15:42:
The Half Elf wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 10:43:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 24, 2021, 15:52:
Jivaro wrote on Feb 24, 2021, 15:33:
I understand their sentiment and appreciate it for it's intention.....but I am skeptical. Hopefully it turns out as intended I guess.

If they build a tolerant environment, shouldn't their wish just happen naturally? Just don't tolerate misogynist and homophobic assholes, and the rest takes care of itself.

Speaking of which, I saw this today and found it interesting:
1 in 6 Gen Z adults are LGBT. And this number could continue to grow.

I'm sorry to call ya out on this but your thinking on this is just stupid (but let me tell you why).
For Example lets take Airplane travel.
Back in the 60's and 70's it was all about putting on your Sunday's best and traveling the world. Bring your cigs because everyone on the flight could smoke.
Now in this day and age, (thanks to a few terrorists, idiots trying to light their crotches/shoes/etc) you have a ton of security, and steps to go through to fly.
Do you think the airlines and airports decided out of the blue to start cracking down on this (like smoking on a aircraft, or doing body pat downs, or body scans? Nope, but they have to because bad people out there wanting to do bad things.
So take pretty much any shooter that has multiplayer and some sort of chat (txt, voice, etc), and really think to yourself "I wonder if the Dev's planned for a game with 13 million playing it, planned on having asshole and fucktards in their game making it unenjoyable for others? No they just want to make a game that is awesome and kickass that you can play with your friends. You simply can't remove the human/fucktard element out of these games. You can try, but again if ya have a huge gamerbase (like say COD Warzone), it's always a players do something, then dev's react.
Do you think Valorant's team started posting on the internet "We are looking for asshole to come fuck with others players and help make our gaming experience toxic!"?
I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing. Every multiplayer shooter has assholes, be they homophobic, misogynistic, or otherwise. Anonymity brings out the worst in people. Policing that shit creates a more inclusive atmosphere. That is all I was saying.

I don't think any of y'all play it anymore... but Overwatch is very good about dealing with this stuff.
Just about every time I've reported someone for abusive chat I've received a follow-up a few days later that action was taken based on my report.
They do timed chat mutes that explain why you're being muted, they do suspensions, and they do bans.
As a consequence, voice chat / text chat in Overwatch is far far less hostile than what I see in COD of BF.

Feb 25, 2021, 06:22
Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 25, 2021, 06:22
Feb 25, 2021, 06:22

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 05:43:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 05:40:
VaranDragon wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 02:25:
I understand their sentiment and appreciate it for it's intention.....but I am skeptical. Hopefully it turns out as intended I guess.

If they build a tolerant environment, shouldn't their wish just happen naturally? Just don't tolerate misogynist and homophobic assholes, and the rest takes care of itself.

I don't buy it. Call me oldf-ashioned but I believe that sexual orientation is mostly decided by biology. We are animals after all, thinking ones, but sex is something that is instinctive to us. We don't choose our sexual orientation we are born with it. If that article is factual, then these kids are just caving in to the social norms that are imposed upon them today. It's not only acceptable to be LGBT today, it's actually COOL, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are just pretending.

This always seems to be the social conservative response to seeing increases in LGBT identification...
It's cool, they're pretending etc. etc.
Have you considered that these were likely always the numbers of people born this way and now that society doesn't suppress and disapprove to the same degree they feel free to identify that way?

Yes I have considered it. One of my best friends is gay. It's something we frequently talk about. My stepdaughter is 19 and identifies as LGTB. Half of her friends are "Bi". They think it's cool as fuck. I'm not discounting it at all. I'm just saying that if 1 in 6 Gen Z identifies as LGBT and that number seems to be growing, then it's not just biology at work here.

I'm not really sure I understand the context of "it's not just biology at work here" then...
If you mean, "it's not just biology, it's a changing society where people who previously would have denied their orientation (to themselves and/or others) now feel socially safe to identify that way" then I agree.
But it seems to me that you mean "it's not just biology, it's society saying it's cool and so now people pretend to be LGBT"... so that's what I commented on.

So... since you said you're not discounting the former but you do seem to believe the latter as well... what do you mean by "it's not just biology"?
You said that you do believe that orientation is decided by biology.
I guess the question comes down to, of the increase, what portion do you think comes from fakers vs. those who would have in decades past been closeted?
And how do you reach/reason that ratio given that you believe both to be factors in the increase?
Just a feeling that because it's cool there must be fakers, right?

Re: Bloodlines 2 Delayed Again; Developer Removed
Feb 25, 2021, 05:52
Re: Bloodlines 2 Delayed Again; Developer Removed Feb 25, 2021, 05:52
Feb 25, 2021, 05:52

Jivaro wrote on Feb 24, 2021, 15:20:
Wesp5 wrote on Feb 24, 2021, 01:52:
Jivaro wrote on Feb 24, 2021, 00:26:
Also, why don't they just hire Wesp?

You might be laughing, but before Mitsoda and the others were fired there were talks with Paradox that I and other famous Bloodlines modders should help with beta testing, but sadly it never got that far. They might better have asked us earlier as it seems we knew more about such a game than HSL ;)!

If I am Paradox you are on speed dial from the beginning of development. It's a waste of talent and resources to not do. I am not just saying that to blow sunshine up your ass either. It's the reality. In addition to that, the core audience respects you. It's an obvious call to make. Hopefully with this decision to change it up, maybe they get some sense and reach out. Make sure you charge them.

Not to belittle Wesp's prowess, as he is certainly a god among men in his dedication and tenacity to fix and improve what has become, partly due to his contributions, a cult classic...
But in depth knowledge of a particular game and how it works under the hood isn't necessarily all that valuable when dealing with a new game on a different engine with a new developer.
Though he could certainly help with keeping the "feel" through testing if that's something they wanted to replicate... and that's probably what they were looking for but sounds like they didn't even get that far.

Feb 25, 2021, 05:40
Re: Gatherings & Competitions Feb 25, 2021, 05:40
Feb 25, 2021, 05:40

VaranDragon wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 02:25:

I don't buy it. Call me oldf-ashioned but I believe that sexual orientation is mostly decided by biology. We are animals after all, thinking ones, but sex is something that is instinctive to us. We don't choose our sexual orientation we are born with it. If that article is factual, then these kids are just caving in to the social norms that are imposed upon them today. It's not only acceptable to be LGBT today, it's actually COOL, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them are just pretending.

This always seems to be the social conservative response to seeing increases in LGBT identification...
It's cool, they're pretending etc. etc.
Have you considered that these were likely always the numbers of people born this way and now that society doesn't suppress and disapprove to the same degree they feel free to identify that way?

Feb 25, 2021, 04:35
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 04:35
Feb 25, 2021, 04:35

Feb 25, 2021, 04:30
Re: BioWare Ends Anthem NEXT Project Feb 25, 2021, 04:30
Feb 25, 2021, 04:30

JeffD wrote on Feb 25, 2021, 02:12:
You guys are way to god damn lenient. This is why anthem was allowed to exist.

Do you see any posts in this thread not criticizing EA/Bioware?

Re: Valheim Passes 500K Concurrent Players
Feb 23, 2021, 16:36
Re: Valheim Passes 500K Concurrent Players Feb 23, 2021, 16:36
Feb 23, 2021, 16:36

Primalchrome wrote on Feb 23, 2021, 09:18:
Netcode rehauls, sound effect rehauls, and although still buggy... tons of bug fixes.
Hey Sepharo, did they ever get the netcode and tick rate to the point that it felt good? I played through the first netcode fix and was far from impressed....with the amount of revenue they were generating they could have done so much better. That said, it was still a blast to play. It was easily the best BR on the market. If they had invested more into netcode/tick/anticheat, I could easily see myself still playing today.

I wouldn't feel right commenting on the feel since I don't really play it.
I'm one of these weirdos who watch more games than I play and PUBG was/is one of the best to watch.
Games are of a nice length, slow enough pace to easily tell what's going on and allow the streamer to comment and describe their thought process etc.

Feb 22, 2021, 22:38
Re: Valheim Passes 500K Concurrent Players Feb 22, 2021, 22:38
Feb 22, 2021, 22:38

Dash wrote on Feb 22, 2021, 20:50:
But as another friend said, it's just Viking Rust. I never played Rust, as I don't really go for that type of multiplayer interaction.

Well great news for you... your friend is wrong.
This game doesn't have the kind of multiplayer interaction that Rust has.

Feb 22, 2021, 22:26
Re: Valheim Passes 500K Concurrent Players Feb 22, 2021, 22:26
Feb 22, 2021, 22:26

phinn wrote on Feb 22, 2021, 18:44:
PUBG was a phenomenal game when it came out of EA with friends (3-4 years ago), just riddled with bugs, maybe that was part of its charm at times. The problem is it just didn't evolve further than some bug fixes and a few new features. It's on an outdated engine with mediocre devs. It's still the best BR there is IMO, by far the most realistic with all out all the sliding, parachuting, laser guns with zero recoil, mini map watching spam fest that is all the other BRs.

To call it a cash grab is absurd, it was only $30 3+ years ago and I put 100s of hours into it with friends.

Those observations are from people who were familiar with PUBG in the launch year and just assumed it stayed that way.
Truth is PUBG is one of the most updated maintained BRs out there.
Sure lots of people are still unhappy with it, it still has bugs, it's on an engine tons of people don't like and has a clunky feel (that actually part of the charm) but as you identified the sliding, high speed bullet sponge BR players would hate.
But to claim the game launched and then they did nothing with it... is crazy ahistorical.

Just looking at the maps alone... They released 6 more maps over the past 5 years, for a total of 7... and also remaster/rehauled 3 of those maps, for essentially 9 map releases post launch.
Obviously they added a ton of new guns, attachments, and various other items. New vehicles, new game modes, custom games. And all of this in multiple rounds of big updates over the years.
Netcode rehauls, sound effect rehauls, and although still buggy... tons of bug fixes.
They also released on consoles and mobile during this time.

Re: Preliminary Settlement for Epic Loot Box Class Action Suit
Feb 22, 2021, 22:20
Re: Preliminary Settlement for Epic Loot Box Class Action Suit Feb 22, 2021, 22:20
Feb 22, 2021, 22:20

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 22, 2021, 22:16:
Settling a real world law suit with virtual currency. Wow. Crazy. Even though I am reading it, I am having a hard time believing it...

I kind of love it. Boohoo about digital garbage and you could win a big digital garbage settlement!

Re: etc., etc.
Feb 18, 2021, 22:36
Re: etc., etc. Feb 18, 2021, 22:36
Feb 18, 2021, 22:36

Smart stocks to hold during the pandemic.

Re: Epic Files EU Antitrust Complaint Against Apple
Feb 18, 2021, 21:00
Re: Epic Files EU Antitrust Complaint Against Apple Feb 18, 2021, 21:00
Feb 18, 2021, 21:00

jdreyer wrote on Feb 18, 2021, 18:42:
4) Regardless of the age of the vehicle, rebranding exclusivity is something that happens sometimes in the auto industry. I chose that because it's fairly iconic, but there are other vehicles out there.

Yeah and not a good example of what's going on with Epic exclusives.

You'd need an auto industry where manufacturers routinely sell cars at independent retail locations.
Ford produces a new car, and the third largest independent auto dealer chain pays them to only sell it on their lots, even though it was intended to be sold eveywhere.
Not... one manufacturer contracts with another to jointly design and manufacture a car under two different badges.
That's closer to the relationship you see between devs and dev/pubs like Turtle Rock and Valve or whatever back in the day. But even then that doesn't exactly fit.

Re: Epic Files EU Antitrust Complaint Against Apple
Feb 18, 2021, 17:35
Re: Epic Files EU Antitrust Complaint Against Apple Feb 18, 2021, 17:35
Feb 18, 2021, 17:35

jdreyer wrote on Feb 17, 2021, 17:44:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 17, 2021, 16:42:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 17, 2021, 16:08:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 17, 2021, 14:43:
Appleā€™s control of its platform had tilted the level playing field.

Can I file an antitrust complaint against Epic for taking away my consumer choice?

I cannot wait for Apple to pummel Epic in the various courts, and they will. These complaints are nothing more than contract disputes. Courts generally side with the contract holders (e.g. Apple). The burden of proof is on Epic's side, and their case is weak sauce.

Complaining about Epic is like complaining that Ford and GM don't sell the Dodge Stealth.

You've said this twice now but the metaphor makes zero sense.
Go ahead and spell it out for me if you can.
Third party vendor: . Ubisoft W W W WW Mitsubishi W W W Lego
Exclusive product: .. AC Valhalla W W W. Stealth W W W W Windmill (4000029)
Retailer: W W W WW Epic Game Store W Chrysler/Dodge W Walmart

So this dumb metaphor hinges on the reader's familiarity, not only with a car from the early 90's, but the specifics of that car's manufacturing arrangement and partnership between Dodge and Mitsubishi.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_GTO
Metaphors are supposed to make concepts more accessible not less

Re: US PC Gaming Hardware and Accessory Sales Jumped in 2020
Feb 18, 2021, 05:26
Re: US PC Gaming Hardware and Accessory Sales Jumped in 2020 Feb 18, 2021, 05:26
Feb 18, 2021, 05:26

Nullity wrote on Feb 17, 2021, 08:44:
Sepharo wrote on Feb 17, 2021, 07:24:
drloser wrote on Feb 17, 2021, 02:16:
Crypto miners.

Gotta have those gamer keyboads, headsets, and monitors for crypto mining of course.
I've been trying to purchase a Corsair K70 MK.2 with MX Silent switches for over a month now and they just haven't been in stock. Every day, I check the Corsair site, as well as their only two listed resellers, Amazon and Newegg. I'm beginning to think that they've discontinued it or something.

lol, I had to look it up, but yeah that's exactly what I have with the exact switches
Got it February 2019. Great keyboard. Space bar is a bit rattle-y but noise doesn't concern me.
9213 Comments. 461 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16    461  ] Older