Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6188 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 18, 2016, 13:25 HorrorScope

Wrong thread posted in...

This comment was edited on Aug 18, 2016, 14:00.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 18, 2016, 12:49 HorrorScope

Simon Says wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 11:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 10:00:
It's a good thing gas cars never catch on fire, no wait.

1 Tesla fire post shield installation per 100 million miles driven.

Compared to:

1 traditional car fires per 20 millions miles average driven.

Still 5 times safer with the current, albeit limited, data.

Someday they'll have to stop making a fuss out of every incident, 1 traditional car catches fire every 17 hours in average and that's ONLY in the US.

It does sound like there is a lobby against advertising a Tesla failure whenever they happen as if new-tech has to be perfectly pristine. Face it fear is rampant and they use it.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials: 15M Overwatch Players
34. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials: 15M Overwatch Players Aug 18, 2016, 12:40 HorrorScope

Darks wrote on Aug 5, 2016, 00:32:
Kxmode wrote on Aug 4, 2016, 23:00:
Have absolutely no desire to play Overwatch and Hearthstone. Nor Diablo (do not like the subject matter). Nor Heroes of the Storm (it bores me). And my WOW sub is pretty much coming to an end. Don't care for Legion (it's more of the same). I have the complete StarCraft 2 game that I can barely bring myself to play (I find it boring).

I guess what I'm saying is Blizzard no longer makes games that appeal to me.

I feel the same way, but try telling that to the 15 million other idiots who drank Blizzs Cool aid.

But then there are things like opinions. IMO you don't have to like something and also not care what others like. That said, I haven't done Blizzard in a long time. Overwatch probably is fun like their card game, I feel I already played Overwatch game years ago for less and can go back there again, sure not with millions of others, but more than I need to play with. I assume a lot of people want to play the popular thing because it keeps them in a popular topic and crowd. Maybe instead of a TV show being water cooler topics, popular games are.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs
33. Re: New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs Aug 18, 2016, 12:36 HorrorScope

Muscular Beaver wrote on Aug 18, 2016, 04:50:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 23:37:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 19:39:
The thread explains that it happens mostly at high framerates, 70+ FPS, vsync and some other things. Also some Windows versions seem to be fine.
It also explains that Nvidia always had problems with DPC latency, yet it never was that big of a problem that you could either see or hear it. That is only happening with Pascal.
So yeah, the average user wont see it, most actually dont even realize, even if they have that problem. My friend for example bought a 1080 and has that problem, but he didnt even notice it until I pointed out the obvious. Was quite funny, and now hes mad as hell at Nvidia, even more than I was at the 4 GB lie of my 970. But Im not going to pay that much money to be an average user or ignore stuttering/crackling.

If that were to happen to you. Since you mention things like vsynch which I don't use, other things and some windows version. I'm confident my game is smooth in appearance and feel, unless there is something really less visible. But fine don't buy the card, thanks for the heads up though.

As I said, some report it. Some report it happens even with Vsync off at high FPS in games like CSGO. You can go check your DPC latency yourself with listed tools and need to understand what it is. High DPC latency is never good and WILL sooner or later make problems. I had my fair share with that before, even without Nvidia cards. The whole system will slow down and other problems will arise.
If I had a latency of over 250µs (Nvidia cards always cause a DPC latency of about 150), I would be worried. But I guess some people just like to waste money for extremely fast stuff, only to have it crippled by things like that...
Not to mention tolerating shit like this, tells them to keep doing it in the future.
It is unacceptable, and it doesnt matter if you "feel" it or not. Its there and its a problem.

I like your knowledge Muscular but you end it too harshly. I will get some tools to test to see, but I'm still getting very high frames like I should be getting and I'm not having slow down over time, assuming a few hours at a session is a legit enough time. I do get being technically sound, but I also deal real world to and if it isn't affecting me it isn't affecting me. Perhaps there are variables and the game that is being played comes into play... I do get your point.

29. Re: New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs Aug 17, 2016, 23:37 HorrorScope

Muscular Beaver wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 19:39:
The thread explains that it happens mostly at high framerates, 70+ FPS, vsync and some other things. Also some Windows versions seem to be fine.
It also explains that Nvidia always had problems with DPC latency, yet it never was that big of a problem that you could either see or hear it. That is only happening with Pascal.
So yeah, the average user wont see it, most actually dont even realize, even if they have that problem. My friend for example bought a 1080 and has that problem, but he didnt even notice it until I pointed out the obvious. Was quite funny, and now hes mad as hell at Nvidia, even more than I was at the 4 GB lie of my 970. But Im not going to pay that much money to be an average user or ignore stuttering/crackling.

If that were to happen to you. Since you mention things like vsynch which I don't use, other things and some windows version. I'm confident my game is smooth in appearance and feel, unless there is something really less visible. But fine don't buy the card, thanks for the heads up though.

News Comments > etc.
9. Re: etc. Aug 17, 2016, 16:52 HorrorScope

Quboid wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 16:08:
DangerDog wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 15:48:
The small indie developers are suppose to be above such unscrupulous tactics, right?

OK I gotta ask - who is supposed to think small indie devs are different to other people? I know that these people exist, I'm just not sure what stereotype they are supposed to belong to.

Who was dumb enough to think they had a small studio mentality when Sony picked them up and treated it like a AAA? There is no way a BN regular is this stupid to really fall for any of this. So were just taking up someone elses lameness cause they aren't smart enough. Come on, did someone actually fall for any of this here at BN's?

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2016, 20:19.

17. Re: Windows 10 auto-enabled GameDVR last week - here’s how to turn it off and save your frames. Aug 17, 2016, 12:39 HorrorScope

jimnms wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 12:22:
I know. My point is that to do it the normal way requires an account. A lot of people aren't comfortable editing the registry.

Good thing I and most here aren't a lot of people, I get the point, but I'm not the one carrying the load for "the people" here.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2016, 13:40.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
9. Re: Evening Consolidation Aug 17, 2016, 12:09 HorrorScope

NKD wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 11:35:
The game is exactly what skeptics said it would be, and not exactly what Sean said it would be

Yes it is exactly what we seen for the past year. IMO you can't be a regular reader of Blue's and not know the concerns mentioned about the repetitiveness of procedural gaming. Do I have to care for every gamer in the world that throws around $60 over the next big hype? Them's da suckers if they end up not liking it and feel robbed, open your eyes and ears.

26. Re: New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs Aug 17, 2016, 11:47 HorrorScope

Muscular Beaver wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 06:12:
CJ_Parker wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 03:31:
Simon Says wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 23:31:
Any words if these fix the DPC latency and stutter issues people are having?

Top of the morning to you, Sir!

They fixed that about a month ago and every (beta) driver release since then has had it incorporated, of course.
Wrong. Not to mention you didnt seem to have read your own link properly, especially the last few sentences, where he clearly says its not completely fixed.
People still having massive problems and the "hotfix" didnt do crap in most cases:
overclock.net
Thats the sole reason I didnt buy a 1070 yet.

By the time I bought my 1070 and my son bought his 1060 the hot fix was already out, so we never played without it. I have never seen the stuttering video or audio. I was thinking perhaps it is something that can be measured with equipment or perhaps top twich players may feel and that was either fixed with the hotfix or again something I can't see. But unsure, just know I have had nothing but smooth gaming, I also went with a 144hz monitor so I no longer vsynch either.

So is it massive? As we know, a small voice can sound like a lot, I'm 2 for 2 on not seeing this problem. It doesn't seem to come up much at all at PCMasterRace at Reddit.

Reading from the link you gave, it seems this stutter would be very apparent to the naked eye. I don't have this issue. I'm aware of what micro-stutter is. I will say some are mentioning they notice a momentary stutter once on start up of a game, now that is something I may see, I do recall something like that, thought very little of it, since it was a one time on start up thing and gone before you know it. Will keep an eye out. But that alone would have zero affect on me grading the cards.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2016, 12:04.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Aug 17, 2016, 00:46 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Aug 17, 2016, 00:21:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 12:12:
Windows 7 updating with it's previous 100's of updates has always worked fine until just recently.

It takes FOREVER though. Every new PC we image with Win7 at work then has to sit there "checking for updates" for like 2 - 3 hours (some of them have to sit overnight) just because of the ridiculous number of updates that it has to check for.

Rolling them all into one would cut that time frame enormously.

On the flipside, I do agree that MS is most likely doing this so you can no longer choose NOT to install its spyware updates.

Why wouldn't you image after one has all the updates?

Also just to report, Disabling just the Windows Update seemed to be an issue like you mentioned. It would change it. However a little more digging turning off the BITS server service and Windows Update service, approaching a week on 3 units and neither has change the state yet from Disabled. My 3 units do not have AU applied to them at this time.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2016, 12:37.

23. Re: New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs Aug 16, 2016, 23:53 HorrorScope

Simon Says wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 23:31:
Any words if these fix the DPC latency and stutter issues people are having?

Beyond that of the hot-fix?

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
3. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 16, 2016, 22:28 HorrorScope

Click the link they aren't XOTIC laptop's but brands you've heard of including ASUS.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 16, 2016, 21:44 HorrorScope

I get your point but it is taking them on a scavenger hunt and obviously they aren't able to clearly understand how to get to point B. So since the people can't handle it, we just let this go on? My guess is they will need to add something to show them a proper path and not through peoples yards. I would have a large problem with this at my residence and I'm like a hermit.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 16, 2016, 20:31 HorrorScope

They have a strong point on how people are coming on to their property period, let alone all hours of the day.  

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 16, 2016, 20:08 HorrorScope

Ok there's a shitload of laptops one can buy with the new boards:

http://tinyurl.com/hzyavwu

News Comments > Game Reviews
11. Re: Game Reviews Aug 16, 2016, 19:34 HorrorScope

Kxmode wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 18:56:
Cutter wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 18:45:
Go back in my posts and I called the MP portion of the game as bullshit from day one. I'll say it again, anything like this is about metrics. They want to datamine the shit out of it like Blizzard does to see what particular carrot keeps the mule moving forward the longest. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they had a psychologist on board for this game - as Blizzard does for their titles. Look at the achievements in this game, shallow and completely meaningless yet they come at a constant rate to give the illusions of progress. This game is a sandbox without any toys in it. In which case I'd rather just go to tbe beach and lay in the sand for free.

Point taken and rejected. I not sure what you're doing other trying to convince me to hate the game, which it won't.

Me: I'm having a blast.
You: No, you're not. You hate this game.
Me: Actually, I don't. I quite like it.
You: No you don't! You don't know what you like. That's why I'm here to tell you.
Me: Please don't.

I know, he has some points, but repeated too often and he ignores those that like the game, because face it everyone thinks it sucks and has been returned for a refund. I mean as much as he disliked it prior and since... he still actually bought it for $60. I have very little against the game other than cost and some polishing and I have yet to buy it. Go figure that shit out.

This game had so much info out about it that anyone either knew it didn't have MP or knew at best is was highly questionable, or was careless. All one had to do was wait a single day after release to know the answer for absolute certainty. Damn it's like a game gets singled out for who really knows why, yeah it was the darling of an E3, but that was a long time ago, it was obvious a year easily before release we best hedge against over-hyping it, I don't know how anyone couldn't see that, so you proceed with caution, nothing more.

There are many survival games out to choose from and here comes another, yipee. I'm not sure if any are even completed in full yet.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2016, 19:40.

21. Re: New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs Aug 16, 2016, 19:32 HorrorScope

Redmask wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 18:59:
Looks can be deceiving, its impressive but its all about the throttling with mobile shit. Definitely wait and see for me.

I'm the king of wait and see and I agree with you, but I'm thinking this might be good... but also not buying yet. I only see one for sale at NewEgg ATM for $2k.

19. Re: New GeForce Drivers & Mobile GPUs Aug 16, 2016, 18:37 HorrorScope

I'm coming away pretty impressed with the notebook versions of their cards. Looks to be a great gen for laptop gaming.  

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Sequel Plans?
30. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Sequel Plans? Aug 16, 2016, 11:24 HorrorScope

Jerykk wrote on Aug 16, 2016, 04:54:
007Bistromath wrote on Aug 15, 2016, 18:19:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 15, 2016, 16:11:
I think you're underestimating how much it costs to make a AAA 3D FPS/RPG. Here's a clue: significantly more than it costs to make a city-builder or 4X strategy game.
They don't cost that much, it's just that most AAA publishers are rabid about using those easy selling genres to step on their competitors' dicks. So, they budget that much, with a completely ludicrous amount of that budget going to marketing. Paradox tends to be a bit more sensible. Bloodlines is a niche product and will be marketed like one if they have any sense.

All the more reason to not make a 3D FPS/RPG. If you make a first-person game, customers will compare you to other first-person games, including AAA shooters. If you make a 2D, isometric RPG, you'll be compared to other 2D, isometric RPGs and that's a far more feasible bar for a small publisher to attain.

And a AAA FPS/RPG like DX: Mankind Divided most certainly costs at least $50 million just for development alone. We're talking about a multiplatform, fully-voiced, 40+ hour 3D hybrid action/stealth/RPG with large, open-ended levels, a wide variety of environments and interactive NPCs, side-missions with multiple solutions, branching storylines, multiple viable playstyles, both first- and third-person cameras, dialogue trees, cutscenes, etc, that's been in development for about 5 years. Marketing is usually at least double the development cost so I'm pretty sure the total budget for DX:MD is at least $100 million.

Seriously, AAA development is expensive. We're talking about teams of anywhere from 50-300 people working for years. If the average developer salary is $80k and you also have to pay for insurance and other benefits, coupled with the overhead associated with maintaining the studio, it adds up pretty quickly.

IMO those are things they can figure out, but if you do a ISO game then you are talking Vampire Redemption remake. They are purposely mentioning Vampire Bloodlines so to me they know quite well what it is and what would be expected. Whatever costs associated I have to assume they have taken that into account prior to asking "how badly do you want a Bloodlines game?".

News Comments > Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Sequel Plans?
26. Re: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines Sequel Plans? Aug 15, 2016, 18:56 HorrorScope

4D-Boxing wrote on Aug 15, 2016, 16:14:
Isn't this the game where devs dropped the ball or went bankrupt so indies were making patches etc?

Was either playing UT or MW4 like a madman and never got to play Vampire. Remember reading tons about the game and itching to play it..then things get blurry

This was the game that got robbed because HL2 was delayed, they were done with the game many months prior to release but they had to wait for HL2 to come out and it was delayed. Valve wouldn't allow the first Source 2 engine game not be HL2. They were in desperate need of money and timing crushed them. I can't recall if they went belly up prior to release even, if not soon afterward. It was a team spun off from Interplay.

To me this was one of the high water marks in gaming and it also shows me "the suits" just can't see it and really don't know where to take gaming. At the time it was really above the common grade and the industry should have recognized what was done here and carried it on through.

It has two of the best quests ever, the Haunted House and the Psychiatrist place. If one hasn't played it, I'd recommend doing so, still worth it.

6188 Comments. 310 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo