Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 7596 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Origin Access Premier Premiers
12. Re: Origin Access Premier Launches Jul 31, 2018, 10:32 HorrorScope

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 31, 2018, 09:47:
While I do love how fast games load from SSD, games are routinely coming out in the 50gb range now. RAinbow Six Siege is 100gb! I have a 1tb SSD and every time I want to add a game, I have to remove 5 older ones. So I can understand why some people want to buy their console games on disc...even if it still installs half of the data to the HD, thatís still a significant storage savings.

At the cost of a significant load time loss and the bigger the game, the longer the wait. Some of those console load times are abysmal to the point I'm not sure I'd play some games. I complain of PoE's load times between maps, that's nothing to enough console games load times.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained
29. Re: Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained Jul 31, 2018, 01:21 HorrorScope

Jerykk wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 23:02:
So basically, the CPU is handling the same stuff it handles in every game. Surprisingly, they forgot to mention AI, though maybe that's covered by "monster interactions." "Health status" is a pretty odd one to mention, though. Tracking the health of entities isn't expensive at all. You're basically just checking a variable. In most cases, you don't even need to update it every tick. You just update it when it changes.

Right monster healths are a variable/db entry that the system could handle 10's of thousands with ease, that's what a cpu eats for breakfast. Who knows what these guys are going on about. The best explanation, if they are even being honest with us is, the whole level is loaded and they are tracking/rendering the whole map needlessly.

28. Re: Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained Jul 31, 2018, 01:16 HorrorScope

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 23:54:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 22:27:
jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 20:14:
The CPU is never completely dedicated to whatever game you're playing, that's just not how it works. You have dozens of other processes running in the background even on a barebones configuration, even on consoles. If you put 100% CPU into a handful of game processes, forsaking all the others.. That's how you get a BSOD. It's never supposed to happen,

Ah what are you talking about? You can max the CPU without zero crashes, the stuff it needs to run still runs. How can I test this crazy idea out like right now? Stress Test Benches. I can peg my cpu 100% for as long as I want, I do this periodically to make sure my cooling system is working within reason. Maxing a cpu is game and o/s resources combined.

You misunderstand. I didn't say CPUs can't run at 100%, I said games never use 100% on their own. For your stress test to maybe kinda simulate that, try setting its process to realtime priority and everything else to low priority. I don't think Windows would like it very much.

Right, the net effect though is 100% usage, game taking 95 lets say and the o/s it's 5%. We've all have to be newbs not to get that, I like to think it goes without saying, not even consoles do that.

25. Re: Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained Jul 30, 2018, 22:27 HorrorScope

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 20:14:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 19:29:
It's not a bad theory, but from what I've heard in this game it is maxing out the GPU's and the CPU's are are at a 1/3's usage, not cpu bound, the opposite of what you write in this case.

The CPU is never completely dedicated to whatever game you're playing, that's just not how it works. You have dozens of other processes running in the background even on a barebones configuration, even on consoles. If you put 100% CPU into a handful of game processes, forsaking all the others.. That's how you get a BSOD. It's never supposed to happen,

Ah what are you talking about? You can max the CPU without zero crashes, the stuff it needs to run still runs. How can I test this crazy idea out like right now? Stress Test Benches. I can peg my cpu 100% for as long as I want, I do this periodically to make sure my cooling system is working within reason. Maxing a cpu is game and o/s resources combined.

From what I read this so far looks to be a gpu bound game and there are games that can be one or the other, typically gpu bound is more predominant, thus people recommend a better GPU than CPU if one has to choose.

You're ideas aren't all that far off though, but it isn't as black and white as you state.

News Comments > Origin Access Premier Premiers
1. Re: Origin Access Premier Launches Jul 30, 2018, 22:20 HorrorScope

Oh man, just a couple days before we have tackle football on the pc again.  

22. Re: Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained Jul 30, 2018, 19:29 HorrorScope

jacobvandy wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 18:38:
What we have is a problem of institutionalized misinformation. In the PS3/360 era, all the focus was on new lighting and shaders and whatever else went into that cookie-cutter Unreal Engine 3 kind of look... For that, you needed a lot of GPU power, but the CPU didn't matter much. New gaming PCs were built with 80% of the budget spent on graphics, and it served well in most games. So everyone tells everyone to just make sure you have a good GPU. "Buy an eMachine and shove a 580 in there, you'll be fine!"

But this new generation has seen those graphics techniques mature and refine rather than completely change, and the PS4/Xbone are more powerful and well-rounded. A lot of PC gaming rigs are not. People have the same CPU they did 10-15 years ago and think simply upgrading the GPU will allow them to max out any new game... They're wrong. More developers are exploring more simulation-heavy game design, it's not just 4X games or Rockstar with their realistic physics in big, open worlds anymore.

They blame it on poor optimization or performance-leeching DRM because that's easier, more comfortable than admitting that maybe they've fallen behind the curve a bit... Consoles are offering better performance than your imbalanced PC gaming rig. Suck it up and get a new processor. A good one! Because developers are going to keep pushing that side of gaming, and I'm glad they are. The worst thing you can do is keep bitching and eventually make them think they shouldn't do what they're doing, 'cause that's how you end up with the same Call of Duty every fucking year using the same engine it did at the turn of the millenium.

It's not a bad theory, but from what I've heard in this game it is maxing out the GPU's and the CPU's are are at a 1/3's usage, not cpu bound, the opposite of what you write in this case.

21. Re: Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained Jul 30, 2018, 19:27 HorrorScope

Steele Johnson wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 16:34:
I remember a day when it was ok to release a game that pushed the graphics knowing that it wouldn't run that great on the latest hardware. I liked it because you got a cool bonus when you upgrade your pc and play the game again. It was as if the game got a graphics upgrade too!

I suppose those days are gone

Because there are so many game, that is what is majorly different in this era, the sheer amount of games. We aren't waiting impatiently, because there's more games than time now, by far.

20. Re: Monster Hunter World PC Performance Explained Jul 30, 2018, 19:25 HorrorScope

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Jul 30, 2018, 15:17:
It sounds like a bullshit excuse to me. If it preloads all the content then memory usage will be higher but performance itself would benefit as a result. What they seem to be suggesting is that the CPU is performing calculations for every asset in the game even if it isn't visible or relevant to the player, which is just a shitty lack of optimisation.

+1 to all those thoughts, mine as well.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
11. Re: Sunday Metaverse Jul 30, 2018, 10:42 HorrorScope

Yep stupid shit, but kids since I've been alive, prior to the gen being accused, did equally stupid shit as well.  

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
9. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 29, 2018, 21:03 HorrorScope

"if we can put a man on the moon, surely we can masturbate in class."  

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
3. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 29, 2018, 21:01 HorrorScope

MeanJim wrote on Jul 29, 2018, 12:07:
I've noticed Firefox using less memory after recent updates. I just leave Firefox running all the time, put my system to sleep and reboot only when Windows Updates need installing. After 2-3 days Firefox used to get sluggish, and looking at memory usage, it would be 10+ GB!. Restarting and restoring my session, it would go down to 1-2GB. It's been running about 2 weeks now without getting sluggish and needing a restart, and currently sitting about 2GB.

This is me exactly, I'm at 31 days, but I have an update that I've been delaying and it's gonna just do it any time now. That is the main thing now that makes me reboot. With Win7 I've approached a year before needing a reboot and several times many months running. It was sort of a personal goal.

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
1. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jul 29, 2018, 11:50 HorrorScope

Browser memory...

"One example, this Google Doc I'm typing in right now is using 218MB of my memory. No wonder even 16GB of memory on a laptop a starting to feel cramped."

Lol, yeah ok. 218 mb making 16 gig feel cramped. Sounds like a paranoid user to me. Memory is meant to be used.

I've been really impressed with the firefox quantum upgrade from a while ago. Really has kept memory lower and speed much higher.

News Comments > Saturday Safety Dance
1. Re: Saturday Safety Dance Jul 28, 2018, 14:45 HorrorScope

Oh that's a meme machine in the making...

We went to the moon.
Why can't we sleep with your wife?

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Websites Jul 26, 2018, 18:11 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Jul 25, 2018, 21:04:
What the fucking fuck??? There's like a thousand fucking websites there. Twitter? Facebook? FUCKING CANDY CRUSH??!

That is a lot, lol.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 26, 2018, 18:07 HorrorScope

Nullity wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 16:15:
Creston wrote on Jul 26, 2018, 16:12:
Windows now even turns the freaking windows update service back on if you disable the damn thing.
Pretty sure that hasn't happened to me. But now I feel paranoid, and I'll check it when I get home from work. That would be really shitty.

It does, but there can be variations seen in the field, I was doing a couple things, that one and it was starting to break through that. You could create a task to kill it every hour on the hour if running.

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned
49. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned Jul 24, 2018, 15:47 HorrorScope

VaranDragon wrote on Jul 24, 2018, 05:13:
There is one big difference though. NMS is actually a game, thats out now, and you can buy it and play it without jumping through hoops, regardless of its quality (or lack thereof).

StarCitizen is for all intents and purposes, still a pipe dream.

QUE: Where the fuck IS Squadron42!?

Didn't they state Star Citizen is now a playable game, thus no refunds?

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned
48. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Tomorrow; Free Season of Content Planned Jul 24, 2018, 15:44 HorrorScope

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Jul 23, 2018, 12:41:
I figured this was going to turn into a NMS appreciation thread. To continue improving the game this far out after all the launch shit went down is truly impressive. I don't have the game or plan to buy it, but can't stand how horribly entitled gamers can be... those guys didn't deserve the level of backlash they got.

The reason I thought it was ridiculous is we all know not to pre-order. Wait for reviews and word of mouth. But what happens? They still preorder or don't wait to then act all shocked when it's less than what it should be. It was totally in your control as a buyer and you couldn't even control yourself or stick to convictions AND there were many warning signs. I mean come on.

Now this patch won't be perfect and will probably rekindle some hatred.

(you=general audience that bought the game that bitched)

News Comments > No Man's Sky NEXT Video
6. Re: No Man's Sky NEXT Video Jul 18, 2018, 13:43 HorrorScope

My picture is now this is competing closely with Empyrion and those types. Is it done better now is the question.  

News Comments > Tempest 4000 Released
3. Re: Tempest 4000 Released Jul 18, 2018, 13:41 HorrorScope

LOL, looks a lot like the original but here let me blast a shitload of particles on top of it. It's wild crazy fun now people! Whoo hoo 4000 man!

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
5. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 18, 2018, 13:39 HorrorScope

Now we know Elon posts anonymously at THE_DONALD, fuck those people.

He's two faced out the yang now, really he shouldn't apologize, he just told us who he really is. All the happy smiles are just there because he has to.

7596 Comments. 380 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo