Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL, USA, IL 01/27
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 7143 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Loot Boxes Under Fire
44. Re: Loot Boxes Under Fire Nov 22, 2017, 15:59 HorrorScope

Sepharo wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 15:00:
But what's the problem with cosmetic items (aside from potential for addictive spending)?

That is the problem, nothing to aside to, that isn't good. However you have two flavors, one worse than the other. Random chance cosmetics means you have to spend who knows how much to get what you want. This needs to go to. The other is, you sell a cosmetic for X and get it every time, that is different and more acceptable certainly. But I could see some reviewing that as well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Loot Boxes Under Fire Nov 22, 2017, 14:48 HorrorScope

ledhead1969 wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 13:41:
But no...they destroyed their new revenue stream on pure greed. That's kind of how its supposed to work, too. Gov doesn't need to fix any of this...it was fixed by fans and lost sales.

In this case, perhaps.

As we know, there are many other games and platforms this hasn't been front and center on who do the same thing.

I don't like loot boxes and the designs they create. I do read peoples reviews of games on how it plays out. There are a lot of games, so I can easily avoid a game for really any reason.

I have rarely paid for something like this, won't say I never have, GW2 I recall putting a few $'s in it.

If it doesn't fuck a game up, I'm ok with it, I won't be participating in this part. But I'm also ok, if they just outlaw the ideas around it, it will make for better games for players, without understanding this part of the game. I'm happy that it is even being addressed by gov'ts.

34. Re: Loot Boxes Under Fire Nov 22, 2017, 13:24 HorrorScope

ledhead1969 wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 13:00:
I don't have any issue with pay-for-progression. If I can't play a game for 300 hours to unlock all the weapons (re:Battlefield-type games) then I should be able to do that. Not Day 1, or, even Day 90, but at some point I should be able to. (caveat - I do enjoy playing a game for 300 hours to unlock everything, if the game is fantastic...like Bad Co 2.)

It is the randomness that is underhanded. Buying the boxes for the chance at the weapon or upgrade is unseemly and borderline illegal based on these stories.

So lets say loot boxes for randoms becomes illegal. Do these corp types simply then go pay to win or pay for exact item? You want this special gun $5? You want this special uniform $10?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Nov 22, 2017, 12:41 HorrorScope

Why not add ceiling and floor monitors to, for the whole dillio?  

25. Re: Loot Boxes Under Fire Nov 22, 2017, 12:37 HorrorScope

Mr. Tact wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 12:26:
I've never considered buying a loot box in any game. Just sayin'...

Updates database on this end.

24. Re: Loot Boxes Under Fire Nov 22, 2017, 12:36 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 12:02:
Good, happy to see some debate and attention on this stuff. Mobile IAP shit is about as scummy as it gets and I don't want the AAA industry to end up this way.

Which this should go right into Mobile as well. I don't see a difference.

23. Re: Loot Boxes Under Fire Nov 22, 2017, 12:35 HorrorScope

El Pit wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 11:59:
This is a case of what many call "nanny states" vs. "the religion of a deregulated economy".

In the end, the religion will win. Profits always triumph and I am eager to see how big money will make it happen no matter what. Will they find an elegant way to reintroduce loot boxes and pay2win stuff under the gamers' radar or will the use brute force and tell Donnie that loot boxes mean more work for US workers? Stay tuned!

How long are we projecting these wins out?

If they are always a win, there would be no driving age, drinking age, building codes etc. No some regulations do win out. This one could go either way.

One mentions the main target is children, perhaps the main target is rich whales, since articles point to those being the ones that really carry the day for things like this. However growing up/training people to accept these are normal is a thing for sure.

11. Re: Loot Boxes Under Fire Nov 22, 2017, 12:01 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Nov 22, 2017, 11:52:

The gaming studios took shit too far, just like they did with autoplay video ads on websites.

Yup. Speaking of ads on websites. As I hone in the new Firefox which to me is fanfuckingtastic, testing different addons and things off. OMG some very commons sites are a disaster in the lords year 2017 with ads still. I couldn't believe it and what I can't believe more... people use the internet without ad blockers. You got to be kidding me.

4. Re: Loot Boxes Under Fire Nov 22, 2017, 11:43 HorrorScope

Hats off to the gaming community, they are making a real difference. We'll see where this goes, but we now have many areas looking into this. Renergizes me a little bit and should lighten up some of our stances of not being able to influence. This is how the processes are supposed to work, no guarantees, but reviews and outcomes to such.  

News Comments > Evening Interviews
5. Re: Evening Interviews Nov 21, 2017, 11:18 HorrorScope

Twitch is going to starve real people to the point they'll fight each other for survival in the real world?  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Controversy Affects EA Stock and NFS Payback
24. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Controversy Affects EA Stock and NFS Payback Nov 21, 2017, 11:17 HorrorScope

DangerDog wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 20:56:
From a greedy shareholder perspective EA shouldn't have had the "open beta" demo, and they shouldn't have allowed early access to the game because it gave youtubers an opportunity to criticize the MT system ahead of it's wide release.

I'm pretty sure that's the lesson learned going forward.

Probably so. It is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't things. If you do... this. If you dont', disaster mp release. I bet if they analyze it out, better off patching up a crappy release.

News Comments > Morning Patches
3. Re: Morning Patches Nov 21, 2017, 11:11 HorrorScope

Am I reading this right, there have been two major mod releases for Witcher 3 in back to back days? Or are they the same ones?  

News Comments > Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed
5. Re: Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition Revealed Nov 21, 2017, 11:09 HorrorScope

Darks wrote on Nov 21, 2017, 10:36:
All I'm seeing is a 4K res update and UI fixes. They could have at least gone in and added some newer partical effects and fixed up the look of the spells.

Come on Beamdog!!!

In their description on what to expect they do mention things like new partical effects. That said, they do just enough to make something an enhanced edition from what I've played. Probably not enough for me to continue buying their products. I don't hate their stuff, just not like it enough.

News Comments > Free Brütal Legend
6. Re: Free Brütal Legend Nov 21, 2017, 01:12 HorrorScope

Highlight of the game is the beginning. Teasing you with Children of the Grave bass line for a good while and then you pick up the axe, and the the song kicks in. Perfect direction, something you don't see often in gaming, the build up and timing.  

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Controversy Affects EA Stock and NFS Payback
17. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Controversy Affects EA Stock and NFS Payback Nov 21, 2017, 01:10 HorrorScope

Slick wrote on Nov 20, 2017, 21:01:
I'd say they "Live by the public company, die by the public company"

If they were private, none of this would be an issue. They'd never have to push a game through the door to hit a release window even if it's still falling apart. Working on "Valve time" is got to be nice.

That's right, if it were all private these problems don't exist. Makes you wonder of a world without stock investment.

News Comments > Evening Mobilization
1. Re: Evening Mobilization Nov 20, 2017, 20:40 HorrorScope

Just seems like they are way ahead of it. One day I hear, if a car were to be fully automated, the driver is still responsible and has to be alert to take over. But then nonchalantly comes Uber, will buy 1000's and it would only make sense if there are no drivers associated. 47K a pop? And you still have to pay the drivers? Totally a long term vision here.

This comment was edited on Nov 20, 2017, 21:10.

4. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Controversy Affects EA Stock and NFS Payback Nov 20, 2017, 20:35 HorrorScope

Wall Street is confused.

They pretty much force companies of this size into micro-trans, but then they bite them for it like this. I guess they are saying, we want you to do it, but you have to be more clever at it, you can't let the blind see it.

EA you live by the Wall Street you die by the Wall Street.

News Comments > Golden Joystick Winners
13. Re: Golden Joystick Winners Nov 19, 2017, 20:49 HorrorScope

"Best Indie Game in collaboration with Square Enix Collective"?

That sounds like a really specific situation.

News Comments > SpellForce 3 Free Weekend
9. Re: SpellForce 3 Free Weekend Nov 19, 2017, 17:45 HorrorScope

It is pretty much Spellforce 1 and 2. Somewhat intriguing, but overly complicated controls and buggy. True successor in every way. They did take out the 3rd Person mode.  

News Comments > ESA Seeking Final Disabilities Access Waiver Extension
19. Re: ESA Seeking Final Disabilities Access Waiver Extension Nov 18, 2017, 22:05 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 21:31:
HorrorScope wrote on Nov 18, 2017, 19:16:
Personally I don't think there needs to be a law for this.

Handicap products, are markets certain companies target. Almost all products made are NOT handicap ready. Blenders, toilets, guns etc. There are non-handicap based companies in an open market and then there are handicap variants other companies target. But not all products. Impossible.

And where do you draw the handicap line? Guy with a hitch in his gate has to be accompanied? Guy with no hands the same? And if you do draw a line somewhere, why? It's like we have a line today, you are just moving it, not encompassing all. All product need hand, feet, eye and voice controls, cause ya know there is someone out there that needs it. It's not feasible.

Games are not essential and it is silly a company has to do something like this if they don't want to, these are markets, these are freedoms, this isn't evil. And if all games have to, why not all blenders, toilets, cars and guns? It simply has to fall into the category of "life isn't fair". We can still strive to be better, but a law for all, ya no.

Yeah, well im my first resto I opened we had to install a handicapped bathroom at a cost of 5 grand. Which we couldn't afford at the time, and ended up having to blow off our keg fridge for a year because of it, and to this day I sincerely doubt that one single handicapped person - someone who would need a handicapped bathroom - has ever even entered the place. And every other business and service out there has to make accommodation for the handicapped so if we have to suck it up so should they. Most games come with subtitles already so that's not a stretch anyway. I don't know how the hell you'd make a videogame for the blind however. And it's not like the publishers couldn't afford it. It may not be fair but being handicapped is a hell of a lot more unfair. Try walking around for even one day as a blind or deaf person and you'll see.

I want to make a game, I have to abide by this? Or is this only some games? I won't have a publisher, nor can I afford. So store and video games "have to". Well what about 1000000 other things that aren't today? Yes there is one wheelchair guy in every area that will make your store be compliant. It's a public space, video games aren't a public space and far from anything essential.

7143 Comments. 358 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo