Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6194 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 22, 2016, 12:27 HorrorScope

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 22, 2016, 12:22:
If you leave the SSD and pick something worse than a 980TI you will direly regret it. The 3.5GB of the 970GTX are a huge hindrance for the 2nd generation VR, only reason they pick that is because most people have a 970 already... from a pure upgrade perspective, even the current generation from nvidia is not a good choice, you wanna wait till Nvidia splurges out it's VR ready GPU designs. Which will likely include some hardware based features that give it an advantage.

And no SSD... once you go SSD, you never go back. If anything I'd say 250GB is way too frigging little for a gaming rig. I have 512GB ssd and even that is barely enough. And I only have few games on it (BF3/BF4/Diablo3/Anno2205/World of Warships/ETS 2 and XCOM 2)

Basically, those games where a decent SSD is mandatory. A slow HDD can make Diablo 3 entirely unplayable for example.

So don't be skimpy on upgrading your PC, because if you are you gonna be upgrading again and again. VR gen 2 is a moving target currently, so upgrade decisions should always keep that in mind.

SSD's are great but they aren't necessities. I have two systems with and 2 without, games play fine on them all. Loads are faster on the SSD, surprise. I never played Diablo 3 but if it requires a SSD then it sucks on another level to now. Is it because of long loads?

If one was building a pc just for VR and was budget minded, wouldn't the smart money be on waiting for the next gen video cards?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 22, 2016, 11:42 HorrorScope

Since we had the stupid conversation of PC costs last week. If you think it costs well over 1K for a good pc, simply open the link and look at the chart really quick and update yourself. You could trim almost $200 if you leave off SSD and go a little lower grade GPU.

Thanks,
Management

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
5. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 20, 2016, 11:24 HorrorScope

Julio wrote on Mar 19, 2016, 06:10:
I just don't see it happening. Incremental upgrades haven't worked historically in the console market, and one of the main console benefits is that you're not constantly upgrading parts.

Times change. Now they can upgrade models and keep everything else but sheer performance 100% compatible. Smart move, good to see they are catching on.

News Comments > Telltale's Batman Details
15. Re: Telltale's Batman Details Mar 19, 2016, 12:33 HorrorScope

Julio wrote on Mar 19, 2016, 10:50:
Ecthelion wrote on Mar 19, 2016, 06:45:
Julio wrote on Mar 19, 2016, 06:24:
bigspender wrote on Mar 18, 2016, 22:16:
I hate these Telltale things with a passion.

Agreed, their games suck.
If you don't like Tales From the Borderlands, you don't have a soul.

Or perhaps Telltale games just suck. Poor gameplay is what they do. No idea what that has with "having a soul".

Or perhaps different people different likes. They are popular games and from people I know a diverse bunch. I can't say just such and such type casuals like them.

News Comments > Evening Consolidation
3. Re: Evening Consolidation Mar 18, 2016, 16:13 HorrorScope

Right, Indies have shown ways to make use of art style that doesn't need a ton of HP.  

News Comments > Star Wars: The Old Republic - Visions in the Dark Next Month
6. Re: Star Wars: The Old Republic - Visions in the Dark Next Month Mar 18, 2016, 16:12 HorrorScope

These chapters are crazy short and pretty much single player experiences and it being a mmo just feels wrong. You are much better dabbling in TellTale type games, better everything than this chapter series they have going on.  

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 17, 2016, 13:48 HorrorScope

Yesterday there were links to the launch titles for both Vive and Rift. Along with theater mode which should make any game look like a big screen with the headset and other things in development. It seems like a fair enough start, back in the day... QuakeGL and it grew from that.  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
25. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2016, 19:09 HorrorScope

Ecthelion wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 18:52:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 12:07:
HoSpanky wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 11:43:
nin wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 11:14:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 11:12:
Answer: It all depends on how awesome or not your experience is. If you put it on and are immersed like never before and are in shock of how awesome it is. You open you wallet, that's how it all works. The difference here is immersion which is a big part of gaming. We'll see.

That's very much how we all got into 3d cards in the 90s. All it took was seeing something running in glide, and I was sold, cost be dammed...

Right. I've got that ONE friend who still thinks VR is "just another way to do 3D, and no one liked that". I'm betting he's going to have a very different opinion of it when he tries it. He'll probably immediately complain that the first games aren't anything more than something you play for 15 minutes and you're done.

People say "Everyone's different".
Very few really respect it.
You see there are people that like 3d even in more rudimentary ways be it movies or current 3d gaming.
But the 3d that comes with VR is even clearer and brighter yet, more true.
Your friend didn't like 3D, but there are people who do and I'm not sure why those that don't like it have to try and kill it like it affects them. It's nothing more than an option today.
But oh well.
We'll go on saying people are different, but then think whatever we are thinking now, everyone agrees and thinks the same. Because that is smart.
I'll bite. 3D movies give me a headache and the 3D effect just doesn't impress me much. I hate 3D movies in part because for blockbusters, theaters always favor 3D showings because they generate more revenue for the theaters. Getting a good showing is harder now, with fewer options for 2D showings (if they were all 2D, most theaters would have twice as many showings for me to choose from). I would have loved to see Star Wars Episode 7 in true IMAX at the adjunct branch of the National Air and Space Museum near where I live, but they only screened the 3D version. So instead I had to see it in a regular theater like a peasant.

As for VR, I'm in the wait and see camp. I don't want to be an early adopter, and there are a lot of drawbacks for the tech to overcome for a consumer like me. I need to try it for myself of course, that's the first aspect to overcome. I don't know if its going to make me sick or give me a headache; that's something I need to see for myself and not just trust what others say (like with 3D movies). A big issue is the lack of full games that are "system sellers" (none of the ones I've seen are very interesting to me, except for existing ones that I'll just play without VR anyway). Mainly though, I just can't see myself wearing a headset (bulky or not) that separates me even further from the rest of my family when I'm gaming. I don't even use headphones for the same reason. In 5 years, maybe VR will be great, maybe not. I'm in no rush, and I suspect a lot of people are in the same boat.

A lot of what bugs me about VR is similar to what bugged me about 3D. Avatar bugged me because James Cameron spent so much time on the "amazing 3D visuals" that he forgot to make a good movie (this from the guy who made Terminator 2). I think game developers are wasting too much time dicking around with VR technology instead of using their existing experience to make truly great games. I'm sure we'll see all sorts of excuses about 3 hour games because "THE VR EXPERIENCE" used up all their development time. I just don't see it as a promising trend. I'd rather see something I've been waiting for now for decades (like really good AI) instead of something flashy but not as interesting to me like VR.

Yep personal experiences, but it doesn't mean it is bad for everyone. Here is a timely article on what is available at launch, but as you mention Avatar was too much into the tech, there will be 100's of VR games in a couple years, there will be all kinds to choose from vs a single movie. I like 3 hour games... for $5. But again it will be all shapes and sized like current games. Really good AI... yeah we are awaiting that as well. I guess they've settle on MP for AI.

Timely article:

http://tinyurl.com/zrdthlg

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2016, 18:03 HorrorScope

Zoopster wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 15:55:
MattyB wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 14:54:
I think Zoopster is referencing console owners, specifically. PC owners are generally more accepting of high-priced peripherals than console owners.

I think it'll struggle on PS4 myself. I've spoken to a few PS4 owners, and no one is planning to buy one. Cost is the major factor, but the other is that it needs some killer gaming support to add the "must play" factor.

I don't plan on buying it myself. Too expensive, too bulky and clumsy, and I honestly couldn't picture myself with that thing perched on my face for an all-day gaming marathon. Wearing it would be too exhausting.

I'll just stick with my big-screen TV thanks.

I got a comfy sectional and 102"'s over here and still use the office chair and 24" monitor for gaming almost always. LOL And you know why? Because I'm a multi-tasker gamer. Game, alt-tab do something else (like this), all the time. So there could be a fair argument against VR if it takes that away. I feel that is a real part of pc gaming, gaming but everything else at the flick of a couple buttons.

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2016, 18:02 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 15:42:
Answer: It all depends on how awesome or not your experience is. If you put it on and are immersed like never before and are in shock of how awesome it is. You open you wallet, that's how it all works. The difference here is immersion which is a big part of gaming. We'll see.

That's very much how we all got into 3d cards in the 90s. All it took was seeing something running in glide, and I was sold, cost be dammed...

True. But it also helped a lot that you didn't have to strap that Monster 3D to your head .

That will be an individual thing the look of it all, not so much worried of the monster weight of it. Hell there are plenty of people today that think we're already nuts staring at a screen for so long.

Augmented glasses will be coming to perhaps take the phones place, that could be the product that would life the "goofy looking" stigma of VR, since it will sweep through the masses.

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2016, 17:59 HorrorScope

Ceribaen wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 12:58:
Can't see VR really ever being more than a niche product for the consumer, and as such game devs won't put in the time to develop an experience truly worth of VR.

The industry probably should be doing some marketing of what is being developed. With everyone seemingly but MS involved from HW to SW, big and small, I believe there is a lot in the pipelines. I do believe at least for avg indy developers, saturation has hit and developing VR games to what I feel will be more than 1 million potential buyers by years end, whom will be foaming for content. That alone makes roi probably higher than just another iso, arpg, rpg, tb, strategic, fps effort that comes across Steam at a clip of 3-5 new games per day, that looks cool but well I have 100 of each already and 1/2 haven't even been played.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2016, 12:07 HorrorScope

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 16, 2016, 11:43:

Right. I've got that ONE friend who still thinks VR is "just another way to do 3D, and no one liked that". I'm betting he's going to have a very different opinion of it when he tries it. He'll probably immediately complain that the first games aren't anything more than something you play for 15 minutes and you're done.

People say "Everyone's different".
Very few really respect it.
You see there are people that like 3d even in more rudimentary ways be it movies or current 3d gaming.
But the 3d that comes with VR is even clearer and brighter yet, more true.
Your friend didn't like 3D, but there are people who do and I'm not sure why those that don't like it have to try and kill it like it affects them. It's nothing more than an option today.
But oh well.
We'll go on saying people are different, but then think whatever we are thinking now, everyone agrees and thinks the same. Because that is smart.

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 16, 2016, 11:12 HorrorScope

News Comments > AMD's VR Headset & Dual-GPU Pro Video Card Announced
10. Re: AMD's VR Headset & Dual-GPU Pro Video Card Announced Mar 15, 2016, 17:24 HorrorScope

descender wrote on Mar 15, 2016, 16:45:
This idea that anything to do with VR has to run games on ULTRA settings @ 90FPS is really missing the boat. If that's the requirement then just call every one of these units dead in the water now.

Turn the settings down a little and tadaa, FPS. The worry about framerate is largely overblown and focusing on the wrong VR issues.

EDIT: I said do do.

There have been plenty of games in general that when you turn down the settings, very little happens FPS wise. That said, those games are flat screen games.

As for the $1500 gpus they are talking about here, we do know they aren't talking a VR headset but pc level gpus, good for VR development, right?

News Comments > Battlezone Trailer Shows Campaign & VR
8. Re: Battlezone Trailer Shows Campaign & VR Mar 15, 2016, 10:42 HorrorScope

bigspender wrote on Mar 14, 2016, 21:07:
Something I never really though about until I saw this trailer is that finally (thanks to VR requirements) developers will prioritizing performance. We can expect that (hopefully) all of these games will be designed to run at 90fps all of the time.

The PC has really needed a base standard when it comes to performance in games. And 90fps is a great place to start.

I wonder if some games will have two types of gfx fidelity one for flat screen with everything on and frames whatever they are and one setting that is streamlined for first gen VR? Good point though.

38. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2016, 21:04 HorrorScope

Zoopster wrote on Mar 14, 2016, 20:37:
Flak wrote on Mar 14, 2016, 20:10:
I disagree, any multi-platform sports game released is almost always better on PC once you factor in higher frame rates & modding abilities. The problem is EA owns everything/exclusive licensing plus even when sports titles were on PC, the console versions often had the 'new' engines while for some ridiculous reason the PC versions would use last gen engines, probably so people actually had a reason to buy those garbage consoles.

The only thing that ever held back sports gaming on PC were the developers and publishers that blatantly neglected the platform.

The "ridiculous reason" is actually a sensible one. Developers like EA essentially targeted console hardware over PC because the tools were more fully realized and better supported, the hardware more consistent, and the games expected to sell better. PC versions were usually little more than ports from the console release, possibly with higher rez textures added in to take advantage of increased memory and GPU bandwidth. But they also had to make some compromises since not every PC has a top of the line graphics card and CPU in it.

Sorry but that's the reality. These guys are in it to make money. The amount of piracy on PC platforms is quite high relative to consoles, and game prices themselves have barely moved over the last 40 years despite much higher development budgets. Google for some old Sears or Electronics Boutique ads and you will see what I mean. Atari 2600 carts were selling for $49.99 in 1978, for games that only cost $300k to $500k to produce. As a point of reference, an average new car sold for about $4700, gas was $0.77/gallon, and a loaf of bread $0.32 that same year.

Today new cars usually sell for 3 times as much (minimum), gas went as high as $4.20 before the market imploded, and it's hard to find a loaf of bread for less than $2.00 these days. Yet games like GTAV and Call Of Duty routinely have development budgets exceeding $100m, sometimes even $200m, and yet only sell for $10 more.

Wow developers like EA. Probably drop a Ubi and an Activision to. Yeah there are more indy developers than AAA devs and they can choose any platform and I'd say they seem to favor the PC. But whatever, again this isn't 1997 anymore, this was all buried long ago. We get it some people like one thing, some like them all, the cost is whatever any more. Get what you like.

36. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2016, 20:31 HorrorScope

Quboid wrote on Mar 14, 2016, 17:13:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 14, 2016, 14:08:
Why not put the TV and surround stereo cost in on the consoles end to? Since well it would need both as well and I don't have those already.

I don't agree with much of what Zoopster says, but I can see the logic behind not counting the cost of a television and such like.

Well going with new young adults, isn't that all part of cutting cable? That you can do everything on your PC/Phone. So a 20 something very well could have no tv these days because they don't watch TV. This is all part of the cable cutting/streaming deal for many I'm led to beleive.

Things I don't really count as part of the pc:
Monitor
K/M
Headset

Like others never list accessorial costs of consoles.

How about making cash back?
http://i.imgur.com/qVIxOuu.jpg

But this is all going over old tracks, both exist but the PC's won the hearts of tinkerers long ago and refused to die. If one has to sell me on ease and convenience of use, first pc's are easy today to, I don't even have to insert a disk. But I'll raise yah, I'll show you a phone, a dumb ass phone for ease of use and convenience, not only on a couch but on a train.

Consoles are no better than 2nd place in any measure. Welcome to Silver Medal status.

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2016, 14:08 HorrorScope

Zoopster wrote on Mar 14, 2016, 10:39:
Sure PC's have better hardware when it comes to gaming, if you're willing to spend the money. But to recreate even the basic $350 console experience on a PC (27" monitor, 5.1 surround sound, decent audio/video cards), you're in for at least $2000 and the sky's the limit from there.

That's why consoles have been so popular. You already have a couch (one would hope). You already have a decent home theater system (ditto), with big screen TV (likewise). The economics of a console make a lot more sense than spending big $$ building up a dedicated workspace for a high-end gaming PC.

Oh god not another comparison with over exaggerate dollars again. Is this 1997? Why not put the TV and surround stereo cost in on the consoles end to? Since well it would need both as well and I don't have those already. So lets see 75" 4K TV with a Marantz system and say Polk surround, probably 5 grand in total.

We were doing better than this, jim'eney crickets.

News Comments > SteamVR Desktop Theater Testing
6. Re: SteamVR Desktop Theater Testing Mar 13, 2016, 21:46 HorrorScope

Are they stating what size the screen will feel like in this mode?  

News Comments > EverQuest Next Cancelled
6. Re: EverQuest Next Cancelled Mar 11, 2016, 17:10 HorrorScope

Boo.... you guys over there suck. But we all seen it when the division was sold. H1Z1 or bust.  

6194 Comments. 310 pages. Viewing page 24.
< Newer [ 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo