Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6120 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 4, 2016, 17:53 HorrorScope

descender wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 16:00:
I'm actually talking about never giving your child those things in the first place. I hate the entire concept of everyone sitting in their own room on their own screen doing their own thing and not interacting at all. That's not the kind of family life I was brought up in and I won't be allowing it for my children either.

Not that I'm having children any time soon... but it's good to have plans. :p

Rebuttals:

1. The family life I grew up in, isn't important that it has to be what I do with my future family. Times change, I wanted to be more adaptive than be a traditionalist. I have always guarded against doing generational things mankind does over and over.

2. Now if you play video games yourself (Assume you do), you frequent a Video Game site and reply (You do). My first guess, which could be incorrect I surrender, is that you do put a lot of screen time in on your life. Now if you don't have a family and in the future you feel you will and you will do a 180 and raise a 1950's family, I would suggest you hedge that thought, not a bad ideal, but may want to consider something more realistic and be true to yourself. Chances are you'll be the same person before or after kids. Sure you will put more time towards them doing other things, but you'll still hear the calling and that part they'll love the shit out of you for.

3. I've raised two boys now and they were smack dab into gaming early on and all the way through to today. Are they the best kids ever? No. But one is 22 and has been out and on his own for years now, responsible, all that, didn't get into drugs, however socially apt to have a drink with friends today. Parent win in my mind with him. The second is 18 and has been holding a great starter job down for almost a year now and part time schooling, not into drugs at all. So far, looking promising there to, has plans to leave home next fall, we'll see.

Both have their own lives, neither are assholes, both are fond gamers. I assume they'll look back on their upbringing and won't have the belief gaming is the work of the devil for kids. Sure you have to monitor everything. If grades drop and you feel they are too much into games, phone, staying up late chatting or whatever, you have to be a crack head parent not to address it. What that meant in my world was at worst take those things away until grades came up, which they always did. But I never thought, there will be none of that in my house now or ever... that causes a whole new set of other issues we could find an article for and point to.

Right if you don't care about your kids at all and just live for yourself still and they just run rampant, yeah that's not good parenting at all. Perhaps inner-city drugged crazed parents may be that way, but I honestly never saw parents that didn't care where I live, all gave it a fair enough effort and really it doesn't take all that much. Now if you get a devils child all bets are off...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die
66. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 17:33 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 17:01:
Again, I don't think MS is creating a walled garden, I think they're just trying to get a piece of the pie that Steam and others are now dividing between themselves. This is just their GFWL 2.0 attempt.

But I do think that if both Sweeney and Gabe are worried enough about it to openly speak out against the possibility, it probably goes a bit farther than just some average rumor.

I think it is great for them to make mention so it keeps everyone on their toe and in tune.

And I agree with GFWL 2.0. They should be entitled to have their own store, they won't want to have to pay someone like Steam a 30% cut, so even having a store tells me they at least are wanting to put their stuff on the PC.

If it is on a course towards something really bad, A. They'll have to weather a severe backlash like perhaps they haven't seen in the past. B. We'll have time then to make our change to another O/S. I don't have to run out and get a Steam Machine today, it's not oxygen, I can react late. (Not that you are arguing that, but some here think I have to best prepare TODAY!)

I'm confident there a some at MS that want the worst case scenario for us. I just don't think they can make it happen internally or externally at this point.

63. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 16:57 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 16:23:
So that's the second major PC player that's now called out MS on their (potentially) anti-PC bullshit.

Queue Spencer Whatshisfuckingface "recommitting MS to PC gaming" again sometime soon, and all the MS defenders quickly bleating that Tim Sweeney is a moron and that MS is a benevolent entity that should be fully trusted at all times.

I don't know whether MS plans to go the Apple way. It does appear to be so, but Gabe cried the same thing several years ago, and the Windows Store doesn't appear to be a walled garden as far as I can tell (I literally never use it, so I genuinely don't know), so who knows how true this is. But if the head of the PC's #1 engine and the #1 distribution platform are both getting concerned enough to take public action, it is probably something to be wary of.

So I googled it myself (I was only 99% certain), when some are talking Apple they are talking Apple phones walled garden. Apple Computers does in fact have places like Steam. So if MS was trying to do this to PC's, they would actually be blazing their own trail, if they tried that around year 2000 it could have happened and it wouldn't have been alarming, now it's alarming.

All these overlays Steam, Origin, Uplay, Galaxy are their own walled gardens. The question is can one rule solely and stop the other from existing? I doubt it. We have time on our side before it happens.

56. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 16:10 HorrorScope

wtf_man wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 15:53:
While I don't think the sky is falling, yet... the more MS tries to force Windows 10, their "no-way-to-opt-out datamining", and their store / modern apps... the more turned off to the windows platform I get (as a home user, I'll still support it for business)

/shrug

Reasonable conclusion today.

55. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 16:08 HorrorScope

InBlack wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 15:12:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 14:47:
I can guarantee you if this happens publishers and the gaming public is going to bring a tidal wave of class action lawsuits against Microsoft. They can't lock people out of their own games on other platforms. They can't prevent people from modding games.

They would lose, because Microsoft has every right to control what runs on its OS,

Actually they have lost fights like that in the past. Tightening it up to what people here may want to think... well there will be a lot of lawsuits and a repeating of history. The only thing MS can bank on if that was their true intentions, is that they feel Judges/Congress don't care about these things anymore. Now that could be correct.

This comment was edited on Mar 4, 2016, 16:50.

54. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 16:06 HorrorScope

InBlack wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 14:45:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 14:05:

Apple is used here as an example of a walled garden here. So all the games sold on that platform are in total control of Apple's whims? That is news to me.

Well, then you've been living under a rock, because actually yes. Yes they are. And not only are games affected by this, but every single iOS App there is. You can't even publish freeware for iOS without Apple's say so, not even a flimsy little patch.

I'm talking about Apple Computers hello, Steam doesn't exist for Apple? All games that will start on Apple Computers is only from Apple controlling it? Yes/No? I don't have an Apple Computer, I didn't think it was like that there.

News Comments > Black Desert Online Launches
29. Re: Black Desert Online Launches Mar 4, 2016, 14:33 HorrorScope

A Korean mmo will not be the one leading us forward into something different.  

39. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 14:05 HorrorScope

Wallshadows wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 14:02:
It affects way too many high profile businesses to be a threat so I'm really not that worried.

Correct, this would step on so many toes.

38. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 14:05 HorrorScope

noman wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 13:29:
MS could, tomorrow, push an update that makes win32 unusuable in Win10.

That's an idiotic assumption. In fact, it's beyond idiotic.

Fact of the matter is, Win32 is what we call Windows. It's not going anywhere. There are millions of applications, spanning two decades, and it's the one thing that a Windows OS has supported so many years.

Windows store apps are just specific apps that can be shared between Windows and Windows Phone environments. Don't buy those store apps, if you don't like Windows Store. Epic should also cry about Steamworks integrated into PC games, which then means that any such game bought from anywhere needs to be activated under a Steam account and then forever bound to it.

Not updating to Windows10 because of Windows store applications, is also quite an idiotic notion. I actually have no problems running free Windows Store apps such as Weather, Sports (which is actually very nice), or News. When I buy a game, it's almost always from DRM-free sources like GoG, or HumbleBundle, and I back Kickstarter games primarily to support DRM-free copies.

Right, this is something to monitor but not live in fear of or just slipery slope it to its worst possible conclusion, like the internet likes to do. There is time to access and react if needed.

Apple is used here as an example of a walled garden here. So all the games sold on that platform are in total control of Apple's whims? That is news to me.

36. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 13:56 HorrorScope

NKD wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 11:13:
Can we go back to MS forgetting that PC gaming exists?

LOL. Be careful what you ask for, right?

For anyone in fear, remember this is MS we are talking about. Assume Windows Live had the same aspirations and yeah look how that turned out. If it is as bad as we can think it, it won't happen imo, even if they try really hard, the backlash will be too great. The industry articles will be non stop attacking, they'd cave. AND this is Tim taking it to nearly its possible worst case. Same thing Gabe used when selling Steam OS. Then there are courts if it became worst case.

35. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 13:53 HorrorScope

Well Epic/industry just needs to get unified and then take this to MS. As for me switching, I'll do it only when I find I need to. Even if something is brewing, it still isn't affecting me today, when the time comes that it does and it is something I can't be a part of, I'll make the change, simple enough. Right now it is early to say where this all ends up.

This was their move to make 10-15 years ago and they blew it completely. It still makes sense for them, but it is probably too late and yes it will piss off a lot of people at this juncture. Files under, will keep an eye on.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
5. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 3, 2016, 17:14 HorrorScope

I say make it legal for anyone to shot a drone down for any reason. Aat first you think boy the drone people are going to be pissed about that. But then you come to see it becomes America's newest craze, where both sides compete against each other.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 3, 2016, 12:06 HorrorScope

ZeroPike1 wrote on Mar 3, 2016, 02:26:
Do not even have to rob a bank anymore, just learn to code a money stealing program/virus/hackjob/adware/ransomware.

Starts down that path... determines for self that it is easier to rob a bank.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 2, 2016, 20:12 HorrorScope

Carl Kidwell wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 16:36:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 16:23:
Carl Kidwell wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 12:30:
Awesome thanks for the support!

Carl I'm not sure I'll back it but almost certainly would buy a released version, I pretty much own all the square based dungeon crawlers. If you haven't please check out Fall of the Guardian, the guy doing that one imo added a feature that this genre needed, in that you can mouse-look (This alone isn't all that special anymore in this genre) but if you move forward it will move in the direction you are facing, which none prior to this game has done this and imo to make this old formula feel fresher and less intrusive vs the ole Turn - Side Step options.

Hey HorrorScope,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion!

I have been carefully considering interface and UI improvements that I would like to introduce into the genre so this suggestion is certainly appreciated.

I do want to support the classic WASD movement keys + mouse as that is the quintessential movement paradigm for this game but there are people who also like the on-screen arrow overlays for clicking as well.

As a gamer myself .. I can't bring myself to click when I can do shortcut keys however I acknowledge what works for me is not always going to be the preferred input for others.

Your idea has occurred to me as for Legend of Grimrock sort of hints at doing this but sort of does a lackluster job. In LOG you can in fact turn left or right if you mouse look either way and go far enough it will turn for you.

Your suggestion points out that the LOG mouselook is in fact lackluster and could have used a better implementation.

I'll have to keep those ideas in mind as I take further iterative passes on the UI and movement code!

thanks for the suggestion!

LOG is pretty much same as the rest. The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians takes it to the proper 2016 level for this type of game in terms of mouse looking like a FPS (full 360) and you move to the next 10x10 tile based on the way you are looking and pressing W. That is key.

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2016, 20:23.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
7. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 2, 2016, 16:23 HorrorScope

Carl Kidwell wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 12:30:
Awesome thanks for the support!

Carl I'm not sure I'll back it but almost certainly would buy a released version, I pretty much own all the square based dungeon crawlers. If you haven't please check out Fall of the Guardian, the guy doing that one imo added a feature that this genre needed, in that you can mouse-look (This alone isn't all that special anymore in this genre) but if you move forward it will move in the direction you are facing, which none prior to this game has done this and imo to make this old formula feel fresher and less intrusive vs the ole Turn - Side Step options.

News Comments > Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10
19. Re: Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10 Mar 2, 2016, 16:15 HorrorScope

Do you think there are competing forces in MS, one that states it wants the PC to be a focus again and then the Xbone division that perhaps rather not. So they go out an do a crappy version for the PC (against what their superiors really want) so when it flops they turn around and go "SEE?".  

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Delayed
23. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Delayed Mar 2, 2016, 15:04 HorrorScope

rudra wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 13:47:
i would speculate many of the dev team left because they had a certain direction in mind, which was not what the bioware/EA big wigs wanted - so they left

Ballsy.

News Comments > Far Cry Primal Released
24. Re: Far Cry Primal Released Mar 2, 2016, 13:33 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 12:27:
Division is the same thing. Ubisoft just nakes the exact same game over and over for each of its IP with only artwork and story changing. It's played out and I'm terribly bored with it. I'll buy these games on a ddeep discount sure, but $10 is the limit on them for me.

Well good news is with VR right around the corner freshness will once again grace your tired eyes.

19. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Delayed Mar 2, 2016, 13:30 HorrorScope

There are arguments and examples of success and failures with shakeups. Hey worried about it? Don't pre-order and wait for feedback, I'm doing that regardless of no one left of if every left the building.

In general though this is a pretty well oiled machine with many involved, so if anything can withstand some turnover, it would be a set up like this.

My Rule: Judge each game on it's own merits when I'm considering buying it.

7. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Delayed Mar 2, 2016, 10:53 HorrorScope

CrimsonPaw wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 10:43:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 10:10:
I have a feeling that this will be a mediocre game, maybe they can prove me wrong on that but we'll see.

I really hope not, they have built a pretty rich universe and, for me anyway, enjoyable gameplay. I really hope they don't eff this up.

I don't have that feeling, I expect a pretty solid game.

6120 Comments. 306 pages. Viewing page 22.
< Newer [ 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo