Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6031 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

News Comments > HTC Vive Preorders This Morning
24. Re: HTC Vive Preorders This Morning Feb 29, 2016, 18:18 HorrorScope

Tom wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 18:09:
A 980Ti is $600+. A 27"+ gaming monitor can easily go for $800+. Plenty of people are falling over themselves to buy that stuff. But VR is "stillborn" because of these prices? Starting prices, for the very first generation at that. Give me a break.

I'm an ole man these days, but don't feel as old as the comments I read here. Not sure if there is a better gaming site now with some fresh optimism. But overall this audience seems to be getting too old for my pov.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > HTC Vive Preorders This Morning
20. Re: HTC Vive Preorders This Morning Feb 29, 2016, 14:45 HorrorScope

Vio wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 13:20:
At these prices VR is a stillbirth.

As said without cutting corners, which we especially don't want at this point, if this all works out, thank those that were willing to pay the price to make this happen for the rest of us. There will be plenty sold at this price. PC'ing has been cheap hobbying for a while, now there is a reason to drop some coin, let alone plenty had no problem paying for an expensive GPU all along.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 27, 2016, 16:19 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2016, 11:01:
I haven't used anything but AMD for the last 20 years. No way in hell I'm paying twice as much for similar performance.

Perhaps that is why he's an unhappy gamer. And then the famous price exaggerations we like to use. Yawn.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Feb 26, 2016, 19:13 HorrorScope

They attribute Truck Simulator for their success.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
62. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 26, 2016, 14:02 HorrorScope

descender wrote on Feb 26, 2016, 11:29:
If you guys think DX12 is coming out while Windows 10 is still free there is another surprise coming for you :p I would bet a considerable amount of money that every single person that complains about Windows 10 will upgrade to it for free before they have to pay for it anyway.

There is nothing inherently wrong with anyone wanting to stay on Windows 7, it works fine for basically any software out today and no one is really debating that fact.

First someone debated that fact in this thread.

But you can very well be right, a lot of us are waiting til the very inevitable end because we aren't in need now and whenever that day comes we'll assume Win 10 is in an even better place then than now.

There isn't really any reliable word yet on what happens when the Free Win 10 D-Day comes and goes, what exists on the other side? That will play a factor in delaying more or not. I'm sure MS is going to do their best to scare us (because that is always good policy) but once we are past D-Day is there still a soft landing on the other side for users that didn't take advantage of the first offer?

60. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 26, 2016, 13:52 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Feb 26, 2016, 10:52:
My beefs with Windows 10 have been more related to their idiotic handling of these things. Instead of getting out in front and being transparent they've hidden behind vague settings and other nonsense. Everyone collects shit these days

I agree, they are different than phones because their stuff has been around a lot longer and we have a comfort zone and expectations. That said there was a way to sell this that wouldn't make them look like ass wipes now. That said, probably got direction on how to do this from lawyers.

News Comments > Call of Cthulhu Next Year
10. Re: Call of Cthulhu Next Year Feb 26, 2016, 13:49 HorrorScope

rudra wrote on Feb 26, 2016, 11:26:
how can you actually experience the insanity and all that

Invert your mouse the opposite to what you are comfortable with and flip left and right buttons. Close enough.

News Comments > Ubisoft Fighting Hostile Takeover
12. Re: Ubisoft Fighting Hostile Takeover Feb 26, 2016, 13:17 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Feb 26, 2016, 09:48:
Don't want to be a target for a hostile takeover? Don't take your company public.

You went public, you ran the risk. Don't start crying about it now.

It's not as if Ubi will get better with Vivendi at the helm, but hell, they probably wouldn't get much worse either, so whatever. If Quebec is worried about its jobs, let them buy the company.

General: By law you may not have the choice or not to be public. Depends on some internal factors.

53. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 19:13 HorrorScope

Redmask wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 18:27:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 18:16:
Redmask wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 17:32:
Windows 10 is fine, nothing remarkable but a solid iteration on Windows 8. Reverts most of the fuckups in 8, slims down the installation and footprint, cleans up the configuration panels and under the hood changes are all good. What I don't like is this forced reporting of information but it takes less than a minute to block it and forget it.

Windows 7 is fucking ancient and outdated, much like its adherents who seem to confuse older with better.

Win 7 still feels clean and reliable to me, the only things it doesn't offer me is when DX12 proves itself and is really supported.

Bullshit, it doesn't offer you a lot more than that. Improved SMB speeds. A modern copy function/dialog that doesn't hang the whole fucking OS if its waiting on I/O. Virtual Desktops. A better start menu if you're a 70 year old grandmother who still uses such things. A much smaller footprint. Slimmed down system requirements and better support for devices like the NUC. Refresh PC functionality that just works. Improved performance almost across the board now that drivers are more mature. DX12. A Task Manager that is actually useful. Better file explorer. A real notification center that applications can use instead of 100 system tray icons. Hugely improved multiple monitor support. Better search functionality, both in options and indexing. Much more stable. That's just off the top of my head and without getting into maturity of the kernel/OS or any of that stupid Xbox gaming shit I don't use but others might care about.

Windows 7 is really old now. Run a modern fucking OS.

Depends on need.

SMB speed while nice, don't do it all that often.

Copy w/IO Hang - unsure of what you are talking about.

Virtual Desktop - Don't really have the need.

It does have an improved start menu, but 7 isn't bad and plenty of people still use it.

Smaller footprint, while I have no problem with that, I have plenty of resources and as said has been fast and reliable for me.

Slimmed down system requirements. I'm equipped with game level systems have plenty of resources, not trying to get an 8 year old laptop feeling frisky. HDD upgraded to SSD provides a larger snappier improvement than Win 7 to 10 does.

Improved performance - send me links to game benches that prove win 10 smokes win 7 in games.

DX 12 I mentioned that one once it is supported and proves itself.

A better Task Manager - First I have a reliable system so I'm not like living in Task Manager that it is like some routinely used app. Now I'm fine with Win10's improved Task Manager, but it's a pretty small perk to me and my needs.

Better file explorer - Like what specifically? And again not struggling with what I have. I do use Search Everything for instant file finds, which is still way faster than 10's search.

Real notification center. I will again won't say it isn't good or better. But not struggling with whatever your trying to sell. It's like you take each improvement and then make these things like cornerstone every day apps I would use.

Not struggling with 2 monitor setup on either 10 or 7, haven't had to really do much on either sort of just worked. That said, perhaps Win 10 has more options. Didn't really need to dig deep.

I use Search Everything, it just works like one would want a search to work and is instant, not fast but instant. MS imo have a long while ago now, purposely neutered searches like they also took away SMB speed, however the later I don't do all that much. Fuck MS for both really.

Much more stable? Not sure how for me. I can go pretty much a year without a boot if I don't want to update something that requires a reboot. That is why SSD Boot up times mean nothing to me. SSD boot times would have been gold in my world with Win XP or prior.

I'm not saying win 10 isn't improving on win 7 technically. It's just things you mention A. I don't have a problem with or B. I don't use the features much if at all. Different people, different needs. I don't hate Win 10's technical undercarriage, I'm just satisfied with Win 7 until DX12 proves itself.

This comment was edited on Feb 26, 2016, 13:56.

49. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 18:16 HorrorScope

Redmask wrote on Feb 25, 2016, 17:32:
Windows 10 is fine, nothing remarkable but a solid iteration on Windows 8. Reverts most of the fuckups in 8, slims down the installation and footprint, cleans up the configuration panels and under the hood changes are all good. What I don't like is this forced reporting of information but it takes less than a minute to block it and forget it.

Windows 7 is fucking ancient and outdated, much like its adherents who seem to confuse older with better.

Win 7 still feels clean and reliable to me, the only things it doesn't offer me is when DX12 proves itself and is really supported.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 18:13 HorrorScope

Overall not too impressed with this method since it has to be programmed for.  

47. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 25, 2016, 16:59 HorrorScope

I've now got 1 of 5 units on Win 10, I find the start menu options enhanced from win 7. I have left click and right click options and from that I can get to more places just a tad quicker in 10 than 7. From a general user stand point, as I do have customers using it, I'm not hearing a lot of bitching about it. It's way better than 8's metro style.

On topic for this, I want to wait and really hear the masses bitch over this and I have yet to hear a peep out side of a random article. I can't fully form a definitive opinion on this ad pop-up from just a single source. Otherwise we'd be like a mad mob just brainlessly jumping from one conclusion to the next.

I may or may not have a reason to hate Win10, but as you bring something else to my attention I really like to weigh in on it with a bigger sample and not just pile on because it is fashionable.

News Comments > On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues
35. Re: On XCOM 2 Framerate Issues Feb 24, 2016, 12:07 HorrorScope

Suppa7 wrote on Feb 22, 2016, 11:34:
This is exactly why Americans are known as dumb shits.

What's the rest of the worlds excuse?

10. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 24, 2016, 11:40 HorrorScope

Razumen wrote on Feb 24, 2016, 11:01:
Jamil20 wrote on Feb 24, 2016, 10:41:
I'm not really interested in controllers, so wish there was a version without. That opinion may change if a host of games came out that supported that I actually wanted to play, rather than party games.

It's interesting that Vive includes controllers for only $100 more than the Rift.

Also looks like there's plenty of room for a headset.

The important thing is that the controllers actually come with the headset, so developers know that anyone buying the Vive will also have the controllers-it encourages them to make games that take full advantage of VR rather than half-ass it. It's a much better plan than the Rift's bundling of a generic 360 controller.

Right for our own long term good, we should accept that. That said, I'm also wanting very much sit down VR to.

9. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 24, 2016, 11:39 HorrorScope

Jamil20 wrote on Feb 24, 2016, 10:41:
I'm not really interested in controllers, so wish there was a version without. That opinion may change if a host of games came out that supported that I actually wanted to play, rather than party games.

It's interesting that Vive includes controllers for only $100 more than the Rift.

Also looks like there's plenty of room for a headset.

Was watching a video of a little fps'er. On one level it was very basic, you were in a polygonal apartment and there was a perp in there with you, survive.

In today's game you have basic control, no fear and just go for the kill. It's barely a programmers demo.

But in this case your whole body is in the game, ducking not just one level but any level your actually body wants to perform, tilting with total control, no blazing speed because it can do only whatever your body can do and no more. It simply had a lot more interaction and immersion overall.

What you can see that it did while watching both in game and player, it adds a lot more thought, slows the scene down, tension builds etc. A simple one and one in a small apartment now all of a sudden becomes a deep situation.

Now do you want all your games that way? No. But you can see a new genre being born and you can see new elements brought into the game that aren't ever going to be programmed in with the current tech we've enjoyed.

One thing I've always wanted as a fps coop dungeon crawler, true to life, no blazing in and out of corridors totally undermining the game. But something where you take your time, everyone stays close because they have to to survive, much more realistic battles not based on cool down routines but actual skill, this has a chance of doing it.

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 23, 2016, 23:01 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 20:40:
Wow, does it - and the controllers - ever look unwieldy and cumbersome. And no headphones either. Yeah, I don't think so.

Yeah it is using earbuds for sound.

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 23, 2016, 17:50 HorrorScope

But weren't their last glasses $800 or $1000 and it was nowhere near as advanced as these new one's. It was just a screen in front of you and that was it. So if it is cheap, to me that means for the PS4 only. If they make a great set and it being Sony (they aren't a budget company) it will be as expensive or even more, because that is what sony does.  

News Comments > Darkspore Closing Next Week
11. Re: Darkspore Closing Next Week Feb 23, 2016, 17:04 HorrorScope

Darks wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 16:18:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 12:11:
Okay be honest, raise hands... who's still playing DarkSpore here? I almost could do the same for "who here even played it?", but I won't.

I have, we play it as the lan sessions we have at times. but yea, I have not played in ain a few months. but still that doesn't mean we would not have gone back to it. EA should be patching this game with a LAN capable patch. at least allow local lan play.

At the same time we know what we get when we buy EA products. They retire servers, mostly for you to buy the latest. In this case, just not enough care about the forgettable ARPG Darkspore.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
20. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Feb 23, 2016, 14:59 HorrorScope

ForgedReality wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 10:59:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 10:46:
Cutter wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 10:24:
It was a device used in the commission of a crime, it's pretty cut and dry and has been even since before electronics were a thing.

Yep and they have it, do with it what you will boys, you're the experts.

Except, even with the supposed crime aspect, you can't merely ignore the constitution. You violate someone's rights in order to obtain evidence, and ordinarily, that kind of shit is inadmissible in court. But throw around the word "terrorism" and everything's fair game I guess. Fucking sheep.

Perhaps you misread me, they have it, have at it, it is up to you to figure it out. You can ask for help sure, but no one should be forced to help. They have have been confiscating criminals belongings as evidence forever, so no reason to act surprised now like we are giving something up. But it is up to them and those that want to assist.

News Comments > Fallout 4 Mod Support in April; Survival Mode Beta Soon
5. Re: Fallout 4 Mod Support in April; Survival Mode Beta Soon Feb 23, 2016, 12:12 HorrorScope

ItBurn wrote on Feb 23, 2016, 10:18:
Can't wait for survival mode! It sounds awesome.

I haven't checked in on it yet, I take it this isn't coop survival in the Fallout world, is it? Now that would get my titties perky. To me that is sort of the standard in today's state of the art survival games.

6031 Comments. 302 pages. Viewing page 19.
< Newer [ 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo