Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6025 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10
19. Re: Gears of War: Ultimate Edition Released for Windows 10 Mar 2, 2016, 16:15 HorrorScope

Do you think there are competing forces in MS, one that states it wants the PC to be a focus again and then the Xbone division that perhaps rather not. So they go out an do a crappy version for the PC (against what their superiors really want) so when it flops they turn around and go "SEE?".  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Mass Effect Andromeda Delayed
23. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Delayed Mar 2, 2016, 15:04 HorrorScope

rudra wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 13:47:
i would speculate many of the dev team left because they had a certain direction in mind, which was not what the bioware/EA big wigs wanted - so they left

Ballsy.

News Comments > Far Cry Primal Released
24. Re: Far Cry Primal Released Mar 2, 2016, 13:33 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 12:27:
Division is the same thing. Ubisoft just nakes the exact same game over and over for each of its IP with only artwork and story changing. It's played out and I'm terribly bored with it. I'll buy these games on a ddeep discount sure, but $10 is the limit on them for me.

Well good news is with VR right around the corner freshness will once again grace your tired eyes.

19. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Delayed Mar 2, 2016, 13:30 HorrorScope

There are arguments and examples of success and failures with shakeups. Hey worried about it? Don't pre-order and wait for feedback, I'm doing that regardless of no one left of if every left the building.

In general though this is a pretty well oiled machine with many involved, so if anything can withstand some turnover, it would be a set up like this.

My Rule: Judge each game on it's own merits when I'm considering buying it.

7. Re: Mass Effect Andromeda Delayed Mar 2, 2016, 10:53 HorrorScope

CrimsonPaw wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 10:43:
Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Mar 2, 2016, 10:10:
I have a feeling that this will be a mediocre game, maybe they can prove me wrong on that but we'll see.

I really hope not, they have built a pretty rich universe and, for me anyway, enjoyable gameplay. I really hope they don't eff this up.

I don't have that feeling, I expect a pretty solid game.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Mar 1, 2016, 23:46 HorrorScope

What a joke, the line of command not being respected. Who's doing the wrong thing now?  

News Comments > HTC Vive Preorders This Morning
36. Re: HTC Vive Preorders This Morning Mar 1, 2016, 14:01 HorrorScope

Vio wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 09:27:
gray wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 08:15:
VR/AR is nothing like 3D vision. It'll be ubiquitous, the cost will come down and the form factor will shrink. Desktops, laptops, phones and tablets will all disappear. This is Netflix vs Blockbuster.

For it to become ubiquitous you need content, in order to get content you need developers, in order to get developers you need a big install base, in order to get a big install base you need lowered costs.

Good old catch 22.

Here is my counter to that, in general you are right for many things, however here is the curve in favor of their being content.

Indy game development is at a crazy high right now and the game changer, even though all the AAA's are developing for VR to, to some level.

If someone hasn't noticed, we are imo at a saturating point with games, there is now more becoming available than demand needs. You can see by measuring these: price, steamspy sales #'s and quality of games. There are really good games being made right now and selling under 50K at very low prices. Time is more a factor than anything else here.

Now think of a new hungry VR base... they will have well over 1 million sold by end of year, unquestionably. They want content and they have little choice today, this is what we used to have many years ago with general pc gaming, we literally waited for the next thing to come out so we had something we really wanted to play.

A good quality indy vr effort is going to sell more copies than another good indy TB game, or indy walking simulator game is today. Even though either entry can be good, VR will have a market that is hungry for content. Indies can afford to take the risk to develop for an emerging market like that and I expect AAA's to cherry pick.

If the VR affect is great, which pre-sales reports it seems promising, there will be a market for cool content and as a new platform it will also have the excitement of new discovery, there will be milestones of new breakthroughs amazing us for the first time.

35. Re: HTC Vive Preorders This Morning Mar 1, 2016, 13:51 HorrorScope

Vio wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 04:36:
It's quite simple, everyone talked $300 during development, now we are sitting with $600-800 in the US to get a kit, outside the US its probably going to be closer to $800-1100 to get a kit. This is on top of the need for a $500-600 video card on top of it. It's simply become unaffordable at launch.

PS3 suffered for the exact same reasons.

Rift did talk $300 and imo they did drop the ball some, but not as bad as you allude to. Vive was always stated to be more expensive and $800 wasn't completely out of the question.

It is different than the PS3 is that it isn't competing with an equal for market, VR is establishing a new way to play.

But the biggest thing is they are selling these as fast as they can make them, when the demand and $600 and $800 dries up, I expect a price drop. If you think about it, there really is no good business reason not to charge a higher price at first if the demand is there. Blu Rays started at $1000, then the PS3 and today they are $50.

Plenty of people have the dough for us to see if this will stick or not. If price of entry is too high today for you, great news... you got time to jump in later. If it becomes OMG amazing, a lot of people here will find the $600-$800 if needed. I know I will.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
7. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2016, 13:45 HorrorScope

nin wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 13:21:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 12:46:
On the HW upgrades to the Bone article, now that is a smart move, as they mention they have the software down, no need to redo that all again as each gen of consoles always have. Just sell models with more HP in it, 100% backwards compatible, that's how phones do it which imo is even more relevant than mixing this idea with PC gamers, since mainstream is more game/console centric. Apple only went to the top of the charts with the idea of upgradable/compatible phones. It really is the next logical step and gets their Bone out of the performance hole it is in.

The problem is, historically you fracture the market - and in this case, even more than it already is. Console devs are generally expected to port to 360/bone/ps3/ps4. Adding a 5th one in? I suspect it's going to look a lot like the previous version.

I do not see it that way, if it keeps compatibility which they mention it would. I don't see a fractured base, like I don't see a fractured PC base, a fractured android or ios base and it would even be tighter in the Bone world than those mentioned, it would maintain 100% compatibility vs 90%'s with the others.

I'm sure devs are going to make their games work with first gen for such a long time that if there would be performance issue between 1rst gen and others, gen 1 Boner's would have all upgraded by then.

But don't you think a lot of Boners would love for today to go buy an enhanced version that will kick up frames and resolution of their games? There is no reason to think there wouldn't be many that would love that, because in the case of phones and pc's people love to do that, really love to do that, imo no different here.

MS is doing the right thing in the case of getting all their stuff on a standardized O/S base and not making a whole new one each time for say consoles, that is a cost that just isn't needed. I still feel there is a fair argument for Sony and MS to make a unified console and split it 50-50, that there saves game developers a ton of costs for basically the same results in the end. What's the real point?

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2016, 12:46 HorrorScope

On the HW upgrades to the Bone article, now that is a smart move, as they mention they have the software down, no need to redo that all again as each gen of consoles always have. Just sell models with more HP in it, 100% backwards compatible, that's how phones do it which imo is even more relevant than mixing this idea with PC gamers, since mainstream is more game/console centric. Apple only went to the top of the charts with the idea of upgradable/compatible phones. It really is the next logical step and gets their Bone out of the performance hole it is in.

As for them not jumping into VR, they have time to react if they need, but they best be prepared with some plan to add it timely if it does take off and mixing this in with above, in time proper performance to drive VR would be there.

News Comments > Forza Motorsport 6: Apex for Windows 10
11. Re: Forza Motorsport 6: Apex for Windows 10 Mar 1, 2016, 12:23 HorrorScope

Leper wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 12:13:
Yeah, it's all one big trick to get people to get a free upgrade to the latest version of the OS we all use anyway. Good thing we here are smart enough to see through their scheme. It's not like having everyone on the same OS version would be better for everyone or something.

They'll never make me upgrade my precious Windows 7 just like they never made me upgrade my precious Windows XP.

In time junior. That said, they don't show the confidence in Win 10 by having their games only work in Win 10. They have to play games when marketing games. It's like a bribe. Show confidence instead, show sales smarts, release on modern HW and OS's, as you say in time, we'll be over to a new MS OS and for almost everyone MS games won't be that reason why we did.

News Comments > Dream Theater Game Plans
2. Re: Dream Theater Game Plans Mar 1, 2016, 12:13 HorrorScope

Necrophob wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 11:44:
Dream Theater hasn't made a good album in over a decade. The concept of the new one is pretty cringe worthy. If I want good progressive rock, I listen to Porcupine Tree instead.

Ok did some due-dil and checked out some Porcupine. Does today's Dream Theater sound anything like them? If so, wow they changed a lot. I do agree that the DT I do like is quite old. But that's ok, that is how it is for most, you come out with your best stuff and then you age with no major breakthroughs thereafter. But DT I know sounds nothing like the Pine.

News Comments > Forza Motorsport 6: Apex for Windows 10
9. Re: Forza Motorsport 6: Apex for Windows 10 Mar 1, 2016, 12:09 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Mar 1, 2016, 12:04:
"Forza is coming to PC!*"

* It'll be a watered down F2P version.

Yay...?

I know, I wonder what they really expect as a response? A huge thank you? Jackasses.

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 1, 2016, 10:59 HorrorScope

What's with MS and Spencer? It's like everything is a game of shadows. IMO in that world it does mean you are hiding things. It's like they have no confidence in their products.  

24. Re: HTC Vive Preorders This Morning Feb 29, 2016, 18:18 HorrorScope

Tom wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 18:09:
A 980Ti is $600+. A 27"+ gaming monitor can easily go for $800+. Plenty of people are falling over themselves to buy that stuff. But VR is "stillborn" because of these prices? Starting prices, for the very first generation at that. Give me a break.

I'm an ole man these days, but don't feel as old as the comments I read here. Not sure if there is a better gaming site now with some fresh optimism. But overall this audience seems to be getting too old for my pov.

20. Re: HTC Vive Preorders This Morning Feb 29, 2016, 14:45 HorrorScope

Vio wrote on Feb 29, 2016, 13:20:
At these prices VR is a stillbirth.

As said without cutting corners, which we especially don't want at this point, if this all works out, thank those that were willing to pay the price to make this happen for the rest of us. There will be plenty sold at this price. PC'ing has been cheap hobbying for a while, now there is a reason to drop some coin, let alone plenty had no problem paying for an expensive GPU all along.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
13. Re: Evening Tech Bits Feb 27, 2016, 16:19 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Feb 27, 2016, 11:01:
I haven't used anything but AMD for the last 20 years. No way in hell I'm paying twice as much for similar performance.

Perhaps that is why he's an unhappy gamer. And then the famous price exaggerations we like to use. Yawn.

News Comments > Into the Black
1. Re: Into the Black Feb 26, 2016, 19:13 HorrorScope

They attribute Truck Simulator for their success.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
62. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 26, 2016, 14:02 HorrorScope

descender wrote on Feb 26, 2016, 11:29:
If you guys think DX12 is coming out while Windows 10 is still free there is another surprise coming for you :p I would bet a considerable amount of money that every single person that complains about Windows 10 will upgrade to it for free before they have to pay for it anyway.

There is nothing inherently wrong with anyone wanting to stay on Windows 7, it works fine for basically any software out today and no one is really debating that fact.

First someone debated that fact in this thread.

But you can very well be right, a lot of us are waiting til the very inevitable end because we aren't in need now and whenever that day comes we'll assume Win 10 is in an even better place then than now.

There isn't really any reliable word yet on what happens when the Free Win 10 D-Day comes and goes, what exists on the other side? That will play a factor in delaying more or not. I'm sure MS is going to do their best to scare us (because that is always good policy) but once we are past D-Day is there still a soft landing on the other side for users that didn't take advantage of the first offer?

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
60. Re: Morning Tech Bits Feb 26, 2016, 13:52 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Feb 26, 2016, 10:52:
My beefs with Windows 10 have been more related to their idiotic handling of these things. Instead of getting out in front and being transparent they've hidden behind vague settings and other nonsense. Everyone collects shit these days

I agree, they are different than phones because their stuff has been around a lot longer and we have a comfort zone and expectations. That said there was a way to sell this that wouldn't make them look like ass wipes now. That said, probably got direction on how to do this from lawyers.

6025 Comments. 302 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo