Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6189 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
16. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 19, 2016, 19:30 HorrorScope

Quboid wrote on May 19, 2016, 17:52:
See, this is why videos of VR never have the wow factor that many advocates seem to think they do. It doesn't look immersive, it feels immersive in a way that you have to experience. The sense of physical space and distance isn't there in videos.

Right if people aren't able to use a little imagination. But only a little, it seems fairly apparent much finer positioning in cover and the like is attainable. Both would still have their place and probably mixing the two vs one another isn't the best of ideas.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Evening Patches
6. Re: Evening Patches May 19, 2016, 11:58 HorrorScope

sauron wrote on May 19, 2016, 09:55:
This is all fine, but the 800lb Cave Troll in the room is why after remaking BG1 and BG2, these developers made Siege of Dragonspear (which sucks), in preference to remaking Planescape Torment, which would have been awesomecake with awesomesauce and frosting. It would have sold a bucketload of copies and earned them a ton of goodwill from RPG fans. Just doesn't make sense.

I don't see that as a reasonable question at all.

News Comments > Sword Coast Legends: Rage of Demons DLC Released
10. Re: Sword Coast Legends: Rage of Demons DLC Released May 19, 2016, 11:56 HorrorScope

Quinn wrote on May 19, 2016, 09:47:
Darks wrote on May 19, 2016, 09:36:
UttiniDaKilrJawa wrote on May 19, 2016, 00:27:
Didnt the devs that made this go out of business?

Developer is gone, but not the publisher.

But... if the developer is gone, who developed the DLC? *mystery tune*

It was done prior and in QA which Digital Extremes has taken over and overseeing the release of the console version. What isn't totally known is if DE is doing anything more after that or after these obligations are complete, SCL is complete.

4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 19, 2016, 11:51 HorrorScope

Yeah well I see unprecedented control, how they go up and behind cover, very fluid and natural, we have nothing to that level today. As for what you look like? Everyone already things your a dork for playing games, so it continues. But if that is the thing that makes one stand up and say "Ah no, I'm not going to do that". Great. Others will.  

News Comments > Op Ed
2. Re: Op Ed May 18, 2016, 22:57 HorrorScope

Yeah ok. It all makes some sense if his opinion was the only one that exists. Since it doesn't he's telling us about his guilts and try to make them ours.  

News Comments > Free ARK DLC
5. Re: Free ARK DLC May 18, 2016, 03:11 HorrorScope

It is odd getting DLC when a game is in EA. To me that is just a patch/new version.  

News Comments > Shadwen Released
5. Re: Shadwen Released May 17, 2016, 19:14 HorrorScope

Selling the game based on a hilarious blooper video.  

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup
51. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 17, 2016, 18:03 HorrorScope

Overon wrote on May 17, 2016, 17:23:
I don't get it why these niche high end graphics cards get so much press. Look at the Steam hardware surveys. Like 2% of Steam users actually have these super high end graphics card.

Because they come out first to capture those that must have and they are the only thing to bench. I for one was excited to see these today. Yeah they were a bit over sold, but still a very nice leap forward from last gen.

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup
50. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1080 Review Roundup May 17, 2016, 18:01 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on May 17, 2016, 16:01:
As for 4K I'm not surprised that we are still years away from true viability. I feel sorry for any early adopters who fell for the 4K marketing hype and got a 4K screen already.

Not sure about that, drop of max settings and this gen may be fine. I'm pretty confident the next round of vc's doing that you'll be golden.

News Comments > Pillars of Eternity II Revealed
15. Re: Pillars of Eternity II Revealed May 17, 2016, 17:25 HorrorScope

rudra wrote on May 17, 2016, 14:31:
remember Baldurs Gate vs Baldurs Gate 2??

lets hope lightning strikes twice

That's how I look at these and I did really like PoeT and all the patches made it better and better. Should be a pretty seasoned system for round 2.

News Comments > Acer Partners for StarVR
43. Re: Acer Partners for StarVR May 17, 2016, 00:07 HorrorScope

Slick wrote on May 16, 2016, 20:35:
My favorite kind of hate to bash is when people talk shit about something that they openly proclaim they have no experience with. People who haven't played a particular game saying how awful it is, people responding to news about an upcoming unreleased product that will "obviously be shite". I'm all for calling a cigar a cigar, once I've actually smoked it. I think the general mantra "innocent until proven guilty" should extend to basically everything in life. If you go around condemning shit you don't know the first thing about, you're just furthering the cultural demise of our civilization with every keystroke. Although the worst is the toxic chain-reaction effect it often has, where now you've set the tone, and the only other voices that jump in are similarly negative. And then the way any positivity gets publicly lynched is abhorrent.

This is turning into quite the cathartic thread here, one that in almost no way is addressing the subject, that StarVR has always had my attention as being a "true" HD VR experience (if anyone's tried a DK2 onwards knows that i'm talking about, wrapping a 1920x1080 screen around your whole vision makes the pixels the size of keyboard keys... I honestly thought that it was a very pie-in-the-sky idea to have 2x 1440p screens, one for each eye in 2016. But the way they're moving, these might be out by Q1 2017. Acer is big business in the LCD world, and with the new 1080 cards... If they can really process rendering 2 scenes at the same time twice as efficiently as they so claim (with the multi monitor up to 16 screens thing) then StarVR's specs are plausible THIS GPU GENERATION. Which is insane.

I wonder what sort of tracking they'll use? It looks like the Vive has the best tracking at the moment, considering I've seen multiple videos of people flipping the wireless controllers 5 feet in the air, and catching it every time, while wearing the headset! It's def the one to beat. I wonder if they could licence that lighthouse tech from Valve? probably not...

That's all good stuff and one thing to add a lot of negative Nancy's like to throw out Entitlement when someone else gets their spoiled negative self on. This almost always unhappy state with offerings starts to go right down the same line as entitlement. Entitled to something better than being offered, because it should be. But if it was left to them to do it instead.... we'd get stick figure animation. I get being critical, but when almost everything is being poo poo'd while what I feel will be looked back on as a golden age, well one has just soured and burnt out. Steam, Doom, Unity, 3D, suck on top of suck. Now privacy based issues, spot on.

38. Re: Acer Partners for StarVR May 16, 2016, 19:05 HorrorScope

Slick wrote on May 16, 2016, 18:13:
It would have been nice to have one person come to my defense when I get fucking railroaded.

I don't know if I've ever come to yours or anyone's side specifically. But I have nothing but agreement that we in general need to check ourselves. Our negativity is non-stop and it's against what we love. So it's like if this shit ain't no good, nothing is good in our lives. But many times I'm still having the time of my life.

We want progress but then we shoot progress down as too expensive, don't need the power (gasp), wrong tech, same ole, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. It is always something negative too often.

Acer makes quality things and yes they can make a lemon or a dirt cheap product which that is filed under you get what you pay for. But there are plenty of people that could only afford the cheap stuff and found satisfaction with it.

This product in this article will be interesting to see what's up, a dark horse, but dark horses have a way to make it sometimes in tech.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2016, 12:17 HorrorScope

Did we find AMD's #1 fanboy? That's some top o line spin there.  

News Comments > System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month
9. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 12:05 HorrorScope

PHJF wrote on May 16, 2016, 10:43:
Wouldn't call Unity a "modern engine,"

Quality at Blue's.

I wasn't aware this was going kickstarter.

12. Re: Acer Partners for StarVR May 15, 2016, 19:48 HorrorScope

HoSpanky wrote on May 15, 2016, 19:30:
As for these new Acer-made headsets....if it's anything like EVERY OTHER SCREEN Acer makes, get ready for the first VR sets with rampant stuck pixels, right in the middle of the screens.

I've had a few acer monitors and no problem. I seemed to ready a lot of user reviews before buying and that never stood out either. I haven't had a stuck pixel in like 10 years it seems. Was wondering it that was even still a thing.

1070 for VR should take care of the 90fps needed with stereo vision. Well hopefully.

9. Re: Acer Partners for StarVR May 15, 2016, 17:21 HorrorScope

EricFate wrote on May 15, 2016, 15:06:
Has Acer ever manufactured a product that wasn't lowest bidder proprietary garbage?

Well I just read this:
"For over 40 years, Acer has continued to bring cutting-edge technology to the market"

News Comments > DOOM Released
84. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 21:36 HorrorScope

KS wrote on May 13, 2016, 18:51:
Beamer wrote on May 13, 2016, 16:51:
I always find it fun when people complain that checkpoints dumb down a game. If anything, checkpoints make it difficult.

Give me checkpoints, and I can't save until after I finish a fight. Give me the ability to spam quicksave, and I save a dozen times during a fight.

One of those is way more difficult.

Here's my problem with it. We can skip the derivative console nature of it, and sophistry about the artistic creation of "encounters" where you are expected to make it all the way through without a save.

There are always very difficult points that take many attempts to get through. Then you fail at some later point.

Then you have to go through the first difficult part again. These are rarely puzzles but mostly high action, nimble-fingered reactions that involve a lot of luck just to get through the first time.

In practice, I rage at having to repeat the difficult part many more times just to squeak through and then die again before the next checkpoint.

I do not enjoy buffing my ability to get through a difficult part.

The first time for a hard part is pure joy! Having to repeat it is anger-causing tedium, as ironic as that sounds

No, again, first success at a hard encounter, yay! Now I have to repeat it, screw them.

Right you like it when they dumb it down, because you don't like to repeat when you fail. I get it, I'm not that crazy about it either. However I like slick UI's that do make QOL better playing games. We all have our personal variations of dumbing down.

I wonder how many more years every game has to be shit on when the overall consensus is very good? I get if the game it a total fail, but this seems to be a fine effort from early returns. There is no magical game that makes everyone happy. Sometimes I wonder if competitors are poo poo'ing the games.

News Comments > DOOM Released
43. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 14:20 HorrorScope

Sounding like a winner here. Boy has it, likes it lots to. Logs into his Steam account...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2016, 14:06 HorrorScope

Yes monitoring heat, fan speed, watts used you can really hone it in. I have my bios's set to turn my cpu mhz way down like a 1/3 of max when it doesn't need it and it makes a nice watt savings. Anytime it needs the full speed and that could be just opening a new web page it goes up to max and right back down. While reading a page it's like 1200 mhz... every little bit. Same for fans speeds across the board, have them near off when at certain temps, but scale right up to 100% when gaming. Make sure idle temps are good, over time those can slip. I also run stress tests to make sure when all cores are maxed, that my system all kicks in and works. It's a pretty good feeling when you have that all honed in.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
60. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2016, 13:29 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on May 12, 2016, 04:44:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 11, 2016, 23:58:
As for the Earth dying. Bummer. Everything dies. Plants, animals, humans, planets, stars, even galaxies.

Life sucks, and in the end you die. Deal with it.

I'm sure you feel the same way in your personal life which is why your boss makes you work 16 hours a day 7 days a week, and you agree to it heartily. Never mind that you'll die of a heart attack at 50. Everything dies, right?

It is funny though how the public gets beat down with electricity usage and water usage and then business uses so much it makes our little cut backs trivial, but adds stress to our lives none the less focus on the residence part of the equation.

This comment was edited on May 12, 2016, 13:38.

6189 Comments. 310 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo