Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6319 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
4. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 1, 2016, 14:49 HorrorScope

LittleMe wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 14:20:
In today's digital world, it appears to be a virtual certainty that computers accessing the Internet can—and eventually will—be hacked."

So that makes it okay and legal to do? I don't think so. If the "network investigative technique" was run in a script in the browser or flash player then that's reasonable.

Notice how he said 'home computers' because we're now second class citizens behind corporations and government computers which are also connected to the same Internet. It should also apply to them as well since it's the same internet.

What a strange ruling. Home computers are okay to hack because it's inevitable to happen anyway. That's the logic he used?! Really? Did he just declare open season for hackers?

Yeah not so much the article but what we do online being considered public.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Ban White Trucks!!! Jul 1, 2016, 13:32 HorrorScope

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 13:04:
You have the facts mixed up, it was the driver that caused the accident, not the Autopilot. Before Autopilot can be used, drivers have to acknowledge that the system is an "assist feature" that requires both hands on the wheel. Drivers are told they need to be prepared to take over controls.
Something about Beta software...

These things, your scenario and cutters is why I'm bullish in simple assisting. These things ultimately will get bogged down in official court and court of public opinion. Every mistake this system will make will be magnified.

AND ultimately to your point, you cannot give me a full autonomous car and then lay down "but I'm still ultimately responsible and have to be alert at a moments notice". This goes against human nature, if your car is going to handle 99.9% of the driving and you don't think I'm going to get comfortable with that and do something else, you are a FOOL. This is a suckers deal.

Give me break assist, something I can use now, can help and not being watched like the end of the world is upon us.

The metric system probably has a better chance in the US still.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
1. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 1, 2016, 12:26 HorrorScope

"Home Computers Connected to the Internet Aren't Private, Court Rules."

I know some people will not like it, but to me it is the only sane way of looking at it with where we've come from and where we are going. You want a private pc, disconnect it. The moment you plug it in, that is like your PC walking down the street... public.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
3. Re: Ban White Trucks!!! Jul 1, 2016, 12:23 HorrorScope

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 1, 2016, 11:14:
Figures for 2014 show 32,675 people died in motor vehicle crashes in 2014.

I would still feel safer in a vehicle with autopilot.
nhtsa

Right. I hope they don't over blow something like this, what is the saying the "trees from the forest" or something. If it were only 50% better it would be miraculous. It's very possible it will be way better than 50% better.

But imo it is a long ways off, I'm going for driver assist braking next car, that one alone is a big enough ooop's catch for me, that is my current #1 fear driving, because it is far from just a cell phone that can grab your attention for that moment and if the guys in front for some reason has to brake hard the same moment and break assist can save the day, yes Yes YES!

Now if the other guys can get brake assist to, great! This has to chop off a good number of accidents. The guy rear-ended me.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
3. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 1, 2016, 12:17 HorrorScope

First that was a ton of speculation on the 1060, but yeah you have to go 4 gig min on this card.  

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 1, 2016, 10:12 HorrorScope

Other brands will most likely add the additional power pin connectors to their 480's.  

News Comments > Into the Black
2. Re: Into the Black Jun 30, 2016, 20:22 HorrorScope

Yeah whatever, it works. And if you are working out and not losing weight then you are gaining muscle mass which some prefer anyway.  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
34. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2016, 20:02 HorrorScope

descender wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 19:18:
This is not sitting in traffic though, which is where 1:1 merging needs to be observed. Also the "being ahead" merge rules shouldn't apply either.

If your lane is ending, you yield.

I think you have a solid point on the your lane ending, merge. That said, imo there was plenty of time for either to just get by whichever way as long as an incident doesn't happen. I think we deal with this stuff ourselves all the time out there. He really went out of his way to try to make a point with her. And then did the snitch thing and got the cops, which is a whole other point.

31. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2016, 18:43 HorrorScope

First I have to admit due to comments I've watched this video way too many times.

But take 19 seconds in...

The merge is still well down the road, like 100 yards before the merge lines start, the car is actually a bit ahead of the bike at this point and he's already laying into the horn on her. She actually remains ahead into the merger, which if there are laws probably gives her the right of way. From her pov, "I've driving down this road my entire life and this felt no different today." I'm not aware of this 1:1 merger rule when traffic is flowing normally like it was there. (Edit: Also look at how much room he's giving the vehicle ahead, the car driver is totally oblivious to what the biker is thinking, if he thought the merger was to happen when he thinks it should, he should have been well more advanced towards the truck and getting middle position. He imo just dreams up this merger way too early showing little signs to the driver next to him.) It is also possible the car driver never drives this way and isn't all that aware of the ensuing merger at this point.

I think the 1 for 1 merging is really only a thing when it is stop and go traffic at that actual final point of merging and it is at least a courtesy move, as I'm not really sure about the laws here. It could possibly only be a violation if an accident does happen and then it could be based on who was in-front vs 1:1, near misses not counting for anything, like this video. Would this really get a reckless driver ticket? I have high doubts on that, he may actually get a road rage ticket imo.

When traffic is moving and flowing I am unaware of a 1:1 merge rule. I see and am part of 1 to 1 and 1 to many when traffic is moving, it all just depends, with whosever nose is in the front getting the merging nod most of the times. Courtesy would be the leader then to give a little more gas and the one behind a bit to slow down a tad to make a clean merger. Rocket science I know.

The biker had all kinds of time to slow down or even speed up ahead before the merge lines. The driver maintains being ahead into the merge, he makes an aggressive stance making sure he stays on her side, the worst place to be, hightening an incident, all the while laying into the horn early and then ultimately cursing her up and down.

He's wanting to force a merger early here and I can totally get the car driver not even thinking all that much of this mergers final outcome at this time. Like someone wanting to merge into flowing traffic on a highway early vs others that wait to merge when the lines end, the early one's aren't any better, it's a choice, but when the lines merge now proper choices have to be made by everyone unless you want to go home late tonight.

This comment was edited on Jun 30, 2016, 18:51.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
15. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Jun 30, 2016, 15:48 HorrorScope

It's sentences I write ahead of time like this that make me feel I'm sort of ok...

"If the software they have is good enough to mold to games already released and moving forward, then it doesn't matter if it is a hit or not "

Because you get some of the poo poo'er old-gamers that simply won't accept change. That really is a fantastic mouse if it can deliver. You don't have to use everything, but there are several wonderful features that expand on the holy grail that is the mouse. Yes it is expensive, but probably a better price/performance return than the X-box elite which sold a million for a buck fity.

They have delivered a product previously as well, so that does help damper the risk. I'm gonna keep an eye out to see if they need help at the end, currently they seem in pretty good shape.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2016, 15:40 HorrorScope

theglaze wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 14:52:
That's not an 'almost hit', he saw her coming and stood his ground while tailgating the truck in front and allowing her ignorance/assholeness to put them both in a dangerous position.

We share the road with drivers of all sorts of vehicles, and even when you know someone is in the wrong, escalating things with en entitled sense of "I'm right" is also wrong. Yelling at this woman is going to shed years of bad habits and make her a better driver?

Riders like this often have double standards by speeding, filtering, or lane splitting when they think it's looks 'safe' to them. Dig through that GoPro footage and I bet he's got enough evidence on himself for a fine or charge. But when someone's crosses him,, 'fuck you' for threatening my life.

Agreed, this is taking the story a bit beyond, but yeah bikers and esp rice burner bikers break many of laws every time they head out. So yes a bit hypocritical and a tattle tale if you will. Good deviation conversation at Blue's.

I'm also a believer we are all asshole drivers, we don't see ourselves each and every minute from a 3rd party view like console players do, tie this stroy in with the sites theme. I'm sure I make mistakes I/m totally oblivious to from my pov.

12. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2016, 12:42 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 11:50:
He has a right to be pissed off. He let the truck in, he goes, than she comes in behind him. That's how a merge is supposed to work at any rate, yet there's always some asshole who either won't let someone in or trying to force their way in and not waiting their turn. If you don't call people on their bad behavior it only continues.

Oh he's not wrong, he does go way out of line swearing at the person which isn't going to help, in fact could get him run over. We all would have escalated anger even if wrong if getting sworn at by a stranger. But the cop part on how open he was, surprised me.

11. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2016, 12:37 HorrorScope

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 12:16:
Pigeon wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 11:31:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 11:05:
The biker video seems surreal. Ok you have the merge issue, like that shit happens a lot even with cars and to be honest he swears way to much at a stranger, that right there is going to raise the I don't give a shit stakes for the recipient of such abuse.

But the part that doesn't seem real, he waves and goes over to a police officer and in just a matter of a few seconds, the cop buys in and is able to quickly stop the driver. Where I came from that would be minutes to explain and almost assuredly they wouldn't have done anything but say "we'll keep an eye out".

This guys says "I got on video a lady trying to run me over at the merge, I got in on video"... Cop "Ok follow me". I don't think I've seen a cop be so attentive but also just so gullible to a citizens request, unless this is a biker sting going on with the cops.

Nothing gullible about it, the cop is following up on a complaint like he's supposed to. Not the worst merge I've ever seen or experienced, but it was clear who had the right of way. Maybe the lady wasn't initially paying attention, but she sure as didn't give a shit when it became obvious.

This is just good police work. Fuck that bitch.. I would be losing it too if I was him.. she tried really hard to push the biker out

Boarding unbelievable work, to react so quickly and with so little data.

10. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2016, 12:36 HorrorScope

Pigeon wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 11:31:
HorrorScope wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 11:05:
The biker video seems surreal. Ok you have the merge issue, like that shit happens a lot even with cars and to be honest he swears way to much at a stranger, that right there is going to raise the I don't give a shit stakes for the recipient of such abuse.

But the part that doesn't seem real, he waves and goes over to a police officer and in just a matter of a few seconds, the cop buys in and is able to quickly stop the driver. Where I came from that would be minutes to explain and almost assuredly they wouldn't have done anything but say "we'll keep an eye out".

This guys says "I got on video a lady trying to run me over at the merge, I got in on video"... Cop "Ok follow me". I don't think I've seen a cop be so attentive but also just so gullible to a citizens request, unless this is a biker sting going on with the cops.

Nothing gullible about it, the cop is following up on a complaint like he's supposed to. Not the worst merge I've ever seen or experienced, but it was clear who had the right of way. Maybe the lady wasn't initially paying attention, but she sure as didn't give a shit when it became obvious.

I just have never seen a cop respond so perky. Verbatim...

Biker pulls up to cop in lot.
"She tried to run me out of the lane at the merge, I have it on video"
Cop
"Come up behind me"
Biker
"Yup"

And just goes right on through, traffic is nicely spaced as it should, I'm not even sure the sirens are on, that in itself from where I'm from is a small miracle, someone would be trying to pass me if I got over that fast.

Cop seemingly has a good idea, fly's through the first several cars and really he doesn't know who it is at this time. Then slows down when he is very near, like he does know.

Then the biker states:
"That one" and points. Like the cop could hear him. But the cop totally was on point again.

It just seems like the whole thing was extremely ideal like it was staged for a class style movie.

It is most likely real, I just haven't seen such responsiveness and perfection. I would go to a cop in the lot and it would be minutes before they would take action explaining myself, perhaps putting myself in line for some kind of ticket, by that time the driver would be long gone. We get a lot of "We'll keep our eye's open".

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jun 30, 2016, 11:56 HorrorScope

yuastnav wrote on Jun 30, 2016, 02:33:
I wonder why people keep saying that. There is absolutely no indication that artificial intelligences would want to take over humanity, this is all speculation.

If it were truly AI, it would quickly come to the conclusion we are all off our rockers and just put us out of our misery, for the greater good.

3. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 30, 2016, 11:05 HorrorScope

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
25. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 29, 2016, 22:33 HorrorScope

PHJF wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 21:59:

People worry too much about fan noise. IMO. Minor gripe.

Tell that to my 970 that sounds like a fuckin jet engine.

If one wears a headset, one should never hear their graphics card. When not gaming and no volume pumped into your headset, the fans should decline proportionately in this case to inaudible ranges. When gaming fans should ramp up to 100%, but the game sound should easily drown out the increased volume of the card.

The 970 I thought in general was a very quite card overall, perhaps certain offerings better than others.

22. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 29, 2016, 20:22 HorrorScope

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 17:59:
As for the 1060, I've heard rumors that it might be a 3/6GB card and fit in the $250/300 ballpark range but those are only rumors. I am curious but do you have a source for your information in regards to how it compares to the 970? I've seen folks theory out the numbers but even those aren't set in stone and likely came from the same rumor mill.

Re-occurring history. What I'm looking at is 1080 and 1070 performance. Like I can look at 980-970-960, like I can look at 780-770-760 and so on. The 960 though was a bit of a disappointment.

Now the 480 is not bad on price/performance at all, in fact it is quite good, at the very least currently there is a market at $225. But I don't think that is the target market I'm focusing on right now, I need the raw power again.

Some are saying things like this though: (Haven't had AMD HW for a while now)

My problem is this, about year and a half ago I purchases a R9 290X powercolor turboduo on newegg for about 230-240 after mir. You are telling me the best AMD could come up with in 2 years is a similar performance card for $40 cheaper? Oh and it uses less wattage? Whoopdeedoo, almost everyone that games has at least a 600+ watt psu anyways.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2016, 20:37.

21. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 29, 2016, 20:17 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 17:57:
Right now $200 or $230 is a pretty good price for just above GTX970 performance, though I'm worried about the fan noise.

Hopefully we'll see a Twin Frozr version of this card. If we do, I'm pretty interested in it, since I currently game at 1080p anyway.

What are you expecting out of a 1060?

15. Re: Hardware Reviews Jun 29, 2016, 15:42 HorrorScope

Wallshadows wrote on Jun 29, 2016, 13:05:
I'm not sure what those who are bagging on the 480 were expecting as it was never advertised as being even comparable to a 1070 for single card usage.

You mean the hype by general AMD fanboys were telling us to wait for? Imo the 480 to be killer had to fall in-between a 970 and 1070, not a 1070. The 1060 is most likely going to take this out easily, because it's going to take out a 970.

It's not bad for the value as you mention but it won't have this $200 segment completely locked down like some were starting to see, NVidia will challenge. You are right for certain groups of people this is fine. But being more of a hardcore site and a new tech that needs everything it can get, this card doesn't really do anything at all for that group.

EVGA yeah not a big fan of, they were one of the early one's to garner a lot of praise and deserved. Imo and it's been this for many years now, they are living off past glories, not bad, but very avg., but many have just never re-calibrated where EVGA sits vs the field.

This comment was edited on Jun 29, 2016, 15:47.

6319 Comments. 316 pages. Viewing page 18.
< Newer [ 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo