Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6038 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
36. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2016, 20:31 HorrorScope

Quboid wrote on Mar 14, 2016, 17:13:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 14, 2016, 14:08:
Why not put the TV and surround stereo cost in on the consoles end to? Since well it would need both as well and I don't have those already.

I don't agree with much of what Zoopster says, but I can see the logic behind not counting the cost of a television and such like.

Well going with new young adults, isn't that all part of cutting cable? That you can do everything on your PC/Phone. So a 20 something very well could have no tv these days because they don't watch TV. This is all part of the cable cutting/streaming deal for many I'm led to beleive.

Things I don't really count as part of the pc:
Monitor
K/M
Headset

Like others never list accessorial costs of consoles.

How about making cash back?
http://i.imgur.com/qVIxOuu.jpg

But this is all going over old tracks, both exist but the PC's won the hearts of tinkerers long ago and refused to die. If one has to sell me on ease and convenience of use, first pc's are easy today to, I don't even have to insert a disk. But I'll raise yah, I'll show you a phone, a dumb ass phone for ease of use and convenience, not only on a couch but on a train.

Consoles are no better than 2nd place in any measure. Welcome to Silver Medal status.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 14, 2016, 14:08 HorrorScope

Zoopster wrote on Mar 14, 2016, 10:39:
Sure PC's have better hardware when it comes to gaming, if you're willing to spend the money. But to recreate even the basic $350 console experience on a PC (27" monitor, 5.1 surround sound, decent audio/video cards), you're in for at least $2000 and the sky's the limit from there.

That's why consoles have been so popular. You already have a couch (one would hope). You already have a decent home theater system (ditto), with big screen TV (likewise). The economics of a console make a lot more sense than spending big $$ building up a dedicated workspace for a high-end gaming PC.

Oh god not another comparison with over exaggerate dollars again. Is this 1997? Why not put the TV and surround stereo cost in on the consoles end to? Since well it would need both as well and I don't have those already. So lets see 75" 4K TV with a Marantz system and say Polk surround, probably 5 grand in total.

We were doing better than this, jim'eney crickets.

News Comments > SteamVR Desktop Theater Testing
6. Re: SteamVR Desktop Theater Testing Mar 13, 2016, 21:46 HorrorScope

Are they stating what size the screen will feel like in this mode?  

News Comments > EverQuest Next Cancelled
6. Re: EverQuest Next Cancelled Mar 11, 2016, 17:10 HorrorScope

Boo.... you guys over there suck. But we all seen it when the division was sold. H1Z1 or bust.  

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
3. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 10, 2016, 16:23 HorrorScope

"Microsoft fixes critical flaw affecting every version of Windows. "

Yeah so what? There are more, because you do this shit every month. It's un-protectable.

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Mar 10, 2016, 16:21 HorrorScope

BitWraith wrote on Mar 10, 2016, 12:35:
Sony won't have a problem with the lack of quality as long as they price it accordingly.

This may be a tech you can't cut corners on. We'll see. Sony hasn't been cheap with headsets before $800+ and were no match at all to Rift/Vive, even development models.

News Comments > Valve on Virtual Reality
8. Re: Valve on Virtual Reality Mar 9, 2016, 11:06 HorrorScope

Parias wrote on Mar 8, 2016, 23:35:
I don't understand why people keep thinking this will be such a big issue. Like everything it'll vary from person to person of course, but in my own case I've had no real problems with it.

Some people have seemed to put a line in the sand and simply don't want VR to fly. Since they don't like it they don't want anyone else to either and just want it all to burn and go away. Pretty sad.

Then there is a reasonable crowd that want to see it first and/or think the price is too steep, but that is just playing it smartly.

Then there are those that are excited for it and have the jack, they will be well over 1 million right from the start and I predict Indy game sales on average will be above an average game sold on a flat screen, simply due to those hungry for VR content. You don't pay premium prices without wanting to load up on content. So VR games will be hot to start off.

We'll see.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
10. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 8, 2016, 12:51 HorrorScope

Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2016, 16:26:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 7, 2016, 12:00:
Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2016, 11:42:
You guys already know what I think about crowdfunding and early access. Stories like these don't help change my mind.

Like anything see who's doing what and asking for what and look at your monetary position and decide.

Did that, did that, did that and did that. Battletech was the last project backed purely on HBS' past performance. I consider MADE a charitable donation. All other projects were backed on their word in terms of what was promised and they failed miserably. I've written them and their projects off as a loss. All the money I backed was disposable income... including what I backed for Star Citizen. The bottom line is I don't need this kind of bullshit. If these KS/EA/Fig/IndieGoGo campaigns can't get their shit together and be upfront and honest with potential backers I want nothing to do with them.

The most important part as that you can afford it. But hey you can list your misses and others can list their successes. Some perhaps read the tea leaves better. All user choice stuff though.

News Comments > Op Ed
1. Re: Op Ed Mar 7, 2016, 20:51 HorrorScope

Listen, if you have all those problems listed in the paragraph, PC's just aren't for you. There are millions that are able to harnass and use their pc's without problem.  

News Comments > Fable Legends Cancelled; Lionhead May Close
15. Re: Fable Legends Cancelled; Lionhead May Close Mar 7, 2016, 16:43 HorrorScope

Pr()ZaC wrote on Mar 7, 2016, 16:31:
What made Lionhead great has died over the years. I hope the veterans will form an independent studio without MolyLEX Luthor.

What made Lionhead great was Bullfrog. Lionhead if named correctly would be known as LyingHead. Good or bad, that is just what it is and history if now shut on them and final grades are in.

News Comments > Sunday Consolidation
9. Re: Sunday Consolidation Mar 7, 2016, 13:34 HorrorScope

The numbers before and after were solid gains, my god what they have to put up with though for load times. I mean that right there is enough of a deal breaker for me. Yes immediately they need to have a Bone version 1.1 with a SSD installed.  

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
4. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Mar 7, 2016, 12:00 HorrorScope

Kxmode wrote on Mar 7, 2016, 11:42:
You guys already know what I think about crowdfunding and early access. Stories like these don't help change my mind.

Like anything see who's doing what and asking for what and look at your monetary position and decide.

News Comments > Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die
105. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 6, 2016, 00:11 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2016, 13:48:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 5, 2016, 12:33:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2016, 00:48:
Most new games are coming out with Linux versions.

Are they? Is there an article that measures this? I know more have come out, but I don't see it as most or most that I play.

Actually, you're right, I don't have stats. It's probably not over 50% so most isn't the best word to use. I was just operating anecdotally, and it seems that a lot of games come out for all 3 platforms.

Yeah sorry I have to be a dick, it seems internet conversations go that way for some topics. Yes we'll all keep our eyes open to see what happens, but I'm not that overly excited to move to linux either.

101. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 5, 2016, 12:33 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Mar 5, 2016, 00:48:
Most new games are coming out with Linux versions.

Are they? Is there an article that measures this? I know more have come out, but I don't see it as most or most that I play.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
14. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 4, 2016, 21:58 HorrorScope

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 21:22:
So did any of you even read the article? Because we're now 12 comments into this thread and the word "obesity", which is what the demonstrative pronoun in the article title refers to, has yet to be mentioned...

I'm just happy I didn't respond to the article but to someones post instead, clears me.

80. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 19:32 HorrorScope

Here this thread needs this breaking news...

Knife reportedly found at OJ Simpson's former Brentwood estate is being tested by LAPD

78. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 19:08 HorrorScope

The lastest:

Phil Spencer Retweeted
Tim Sweeney &#8207;@TimSweeneyEpic 7h7 hours ago

Tim Sweeney Retweeted Phil Spencer

I like the sound of this, and look forward to thorough technical details on UWP's planned openness at //build.

Tim Sweeney added,
Phil Spencer @XboxP3
UWP is a fully open ecosystem, available to every developer, and can be supported by any store. Broad range of tools http://bit.ly/1QIHTf0
149 retweets 232 likes
Phil Spencer &#8207;@XboxP3 7h7 hours ago

We will discuss our next steps with the Universal Windows Platform at //build later this month.
243 retweets 509 likes

UWP is a fully open ecosystem, available to every developer, and can be supported by any store. Broad range of tools http://bit.ly/1QIHTf0
View summary
259 retweets 420 likes

Windows has always been an open ecosystem welcoming the contributions of hardware and software partners, and will always continue to be.

News Comments > Black Desert Online Launches
31. Re: Black Desert Online Launches Mar 4, 2016, 17:59 HorrorScope

Jivaro wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 15:12:
I am glad I went all in on this game. I will get my moneys worth out of it. That said, I will say the damn thing I have said about the last 500 million MMOs that have come out...

If you don't like MMOs this game isn't going to change your opinion.

Does anyone have a MMO out there that could change our opinion? Is there a good survival based, structure building mmo? Does something like H1Z1 qualify as a mmo?

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Mar 4, 2016, 17:53 HorrorScope

descender wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 16:00:
I'm actually talking about never giving your child those things in the first place. I hate the entire concept of everyone sitting in their own room on their own screen doing their own thing and not interacting at all. That's not the kind of family life I was brought up in and I won't be allowing it for my children either.

Not that I'm having children any time soon... but it's good to have plans. :p

Rebuttals:

1. The family life I grew up in, isn't important that it has to be what I do with my future family. Times change, I wanted to be more adaptive than be a traditionalist. I have always guarded against doing generational things mankind does over and over.

2. Now if you play video games yourself (Assume you do), you frequent a Video Game site and reply (You do). My first guess, which could be incorrect I surrender, is that you do put a lot of screen time in on your life. Now if you don't have a family and in the future you feel you will and you will do a 180 and raise a 1950's family, I would suggest you hedge that thought, not a bad ideal, but may want to consider something more realistic and be true to yourself. Chances are you'll be the same person before or after kids. Sure you will put more time towards them doing other things, but you'll still hear the calling and that part they'll love the shit out of you for.

3. I've raised two boys now and they were smack dab into gaming early on and all the way through to today. Are they the best kids ever? No. But one is 22 and has been out and on his own for years now, responsible, all that, didn't get into drugs, however socially apt to have a drink with friends today. Parent win in my mind with him. The second is 18 and has been holding a great starter job down for almost a year now and part time schooling, not into drugs at all. So far, looking promising there to, has plans to leave home next fall, we'll see.

Both have their own lives, neither are assholes, both are fond gamers. I assume they'll look back on their upbringing and won't have the belief gaming is the work of the devil for kids. Sure you have to monitor everything. If grades drop and you feel they are too much into games, phone, staying up late chatting or whatever, you have to be a crack head parent not to address it. What that meant in my world was at worst take those things away until grades came up, which they always did. But I never thought, there will be none of that in my house now or ever... that causes a whole new set of other issues we could find an article for and point to.

Right if you don't care about your kids at all and just live for yourself still and they just run rampant, yeah that's not good parenting at all. Perhaps inner-city drugged crazed parents may be that way, but I honestly never saw parents that didn't care where I live, all gave it a fair enough effort and really it doesn't take all that much. Now if you get a devils child all bets are off...

66. Re: Epic Calls for UWP to Open Up or Die Mar 4, 2016, 17:33 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Mar 4, 2016, 17:01:
Again, I don't think MS is creating a walled garden, I think they're just trying to get a piece of the pie that Steam and others are now dividing between themselves. This is just their GFWL 2.0 attempt.

But I do think that if both Sweeney and Gabe are worried enough about it to openly speak out against the possibility, it probably goes a bit farther than just some average rumor.

I think it is great for them to make mention so it keeps everyone on their toe and in tune.

And I agree with GFWL 2.0. They should be entitled to have their own store, they won't want to have to pay someone like Steam a 30% cut, so even having a store tells me they at least are wanting to put their stuff on the PC.

If it is on a course towards something really bad, A. They'll have to weather a severe backlash like perhaps they haven't seen in the past. B. We'll have time then to make our change to another O/S. I don't have to run out and get a Steam Machine today, it's not oxygen, I can react late. (Not that you are arguing that, but some here think I have to best prepare TODAY!)

I'm confident there a some at MS that want the worst case scenario for us. I just don't think they can make it happen internally or externally at this point.

6038 Comments. 302 pages. Viewing page 17.
< Newer [ 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo