Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6137 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 16, 2016, 12:17 HorrorScope

Did we find AMD's #1 fanboy? That's some top o line spin there.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month
9. Re: System Shock Remastered Kickstarter Next Month May 16, 2016, 12:05 HorrorScope

PHJF wrote on May 16, 2016, 10:43:
Wouldn't call Unity a "modern engine,"

Quality at Blue's.

I wasn't aware this was going kickstarter.

News Comments > Acer Partners for StarVR
12. Re: Acer Partners for StarVR May 15, 2016, 19:48 HorrorScope

HoSpanky wrote on May 15, 2016, 19:30:
As for these new Acer-made headsets....if it's anything like EVERY OTHER SCREEN Acer makes, get ready for the first VR sets with rampant stuck pixels, right in the middle of the screens.

I've had a few acer monitors and no problem. I seemed to ready a lot of user reviews before buying and that never stood out either. I haven't had a stuck pixel in like 10 years it seems. Was wondering it that was even still a thing.

1070 for VR should take care of the 90fps needed with stereo vision. Well hopefully.

News Comments > Acer Partners for StarVR
9. Re: Acer Partners for StarVR May 15, 2016, 17:21 HorrorScope

EricFate wrote on May 15, 2016, 15:06:
Has Acer ever manufactured a product that wasn't lowest bidder proprietary garbage?

Well I just read this:
"For over 40 years, Acer has continued to bring cutting-edge technology to the market"

News Comments > DOOM Released
84. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 21:36 HorrorScope

KS wrote on May 13, 2016, 18:51:
Beamer wrote on May 13, 2016, 16:51:
I always find it fun when people complain that checkpoints dumb down a game. If anything, checkpoints make it difficult.

Give me checkpoints, and I can't save until after I finish a fight. Give me the ability to spam quicksave, and I save a dozen times during a fight.

One of those is way more difficult.

Here's my problem with it. We can skip the derivative console nature of it, and sophistry about the artistic creation of "encounters" where you are expected to make it all the way through without a save.

There are always very difficult points that take many attempts to get through. Then you fail at some later point.

Then you have to go through the first difficult part again. These are rarely puzzles but mostly high action, nimble-fingered reactions that involve a lot of luck just to get through the first time.

In practice, I rage at having to repeat the difficult part many more times just to squeak through and then die again before the next checkpoint.

I do not enjoy buffing my ability to get through a difficult part.

The first time for a hard part is pure joy! Having to repeat it is anger-causing tedium, as ironic as that sounds

No, again, first success at a hard encounter, yay! Now I have to repeat it, screw them.

Right you like it when they dumb it down, because you don't like to repeat when you fail. I get it, I'm not that crazy about it either. However I like slick UI's that do make QOL better playing games. We all have our personal variations of dumbing down.

I wonder how many more years every game has to be shit on when the overall consensus is very good? I get if the game it a total fail, but this seems to be a fine effort from early returns. There is no magical game that makes everyone happy. Sometimes I wonder if competitors are poo poo'ing the games.

News Comments > DOOM Released
43. Re: DOOM Released May 13, 2016, 14:20 HorrorScope

Sounding like a winner here. Boy has it, likes it lots to. Logs into his Steam account...  

News Comments > Out of the Blue
12. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2016, 14:06 HorrorScope

Yes monitoring heat, fan speed, watts used you can really hone it in. I have my bios's set to turn my cpu mhz way down like a 1/3 of max when it doesn't need it and it makes a nice watt savings. Anytime it needs the full speed and that could be just opening a new web page it goes up to max and right back down. While reading a page it's like 1200 mhz... every little bit. Same for fans speeds across the board, have them near off when at certain temps, but scale right up to 100% when gaming. Make sure idle temps are good, over time those can slip. I also run stress tests to make sure when all cores are maxed, that my system all kicks in and works. It's a pretty good feeling when you have that all honed in.  

60. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2016, 13:29 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on May 12, 2016, 04:44:
Mr. Tact wrote on May 11, 2016, 23:58:
As for the Earth dying. Bummer. Everything dies. Plants, animals, humans, planets, stars, even galaxies.

Life sucks, and in the end you die. Deal with it.

I'm sure you feel the same way in your personal life which is why your boss makes you work 16 hours a day 7 days a week, and you agree to it heartily. Never mind that you'll die of a heart attack at 50. Everything dies, right?

It is funny though how the public gets beat down with electricity usage and water usage and then business uses so much it makes our little cut backs trivial, but adds stress to our lives none the less focus on the residence part of the equation.

This comment was edited on May 12, 2016, 13:38.

59. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2016, 13:19 HorrorScope

PHJF wrote on May 11, 2016, 22:33:
You don't power down at night???

WHY DO YOU WANT EARTH TO DIE, MONSTER

LOL I have 4! 2 go into sleep though. My boot time is faster than SSD. But then again I have solar panels to.

58. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2016, 13:16 HorrorScope

Sepharo wrote on May 11, 2016, 21:52:
Am I the only one here who doesn't give a damn how loud my computer is?

I'm going to be wearing headphones all the time anyway. And I've been falling asleep to roaring case fans just about my whole life.

My goal is a near silent pc when doing non-gaming things, so you control fans etc based on heat. But when gaming, as you say the headset is on and the volume is loud. I would never hear my pc, so the fans all kick in accordingly. This would be a general person, general desktop build/thought I feel. An HTPC I'd be more bullish on being near silent always.

News Comments > Disney Leaving Game Publishing
28. Re: Disney Leaving Game Publishing May 11, 2016, 17:48 HorrorScope

PHJF wrote on May 11, 2016, 16:50:

I couldn't believe how bad ifinity was. I know some people liked it but to me it played like a Dreamcast game in terms of visuals and gameplay mechanics of 3rd person games in that era.

The Skylanders franchise has made Activision over $3,000,000,000. Disney figured with their powerhouse IPs they'd make easy money aping that model.

I haven't played Skylanders, but I want to believe it has much better game play. But back on ifinity, the amount of bitching we give a game for not enough content on release and then this franchise really held content back to the point you had to buy physical models to unlock a character and content. If it weren't such a casual game, it would have been baptized here for how stingy they were.

19. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 12:24 HorrorScope

HoSpanky wrote on May 11, 2016, 12:02:
Horrorscope, that'd be great if it made the cost of entry for the processor lower (by being able to run an i5). Some games ran fine with the i5, honestly, but the ones with hefty physics interactions were the ones that struggled. Those hit the CPU, which is already tasked with keeping track of where the controllers and headset are. The load on the CPU is pretty astounding, and VR is the only place I've seen the CPU have much of anything to do with game performance for a LONG time.

I'm sure game programmers will get better at making their games run better, too. A lot of the launch titles are inefficient as fuck, built to make it out the door by launch day.

If not though that is still ok, it would be about time for games to have a reason to use an i7. It will be interesting re-accessing VR performance when we get some solid 10xx benches. I have one i7 for a few years now, figured it would pay off. Still holding breath!

News Comments > Disney Leaving Game Publishing
24. Re: Disney Leaving Game Publishing May 11, 2016, 12:21 HorrorScope

I couldn't believe how bad ifinity was. I know some people liked it but to me it played like a Dreamcast game in terms of visuals and gameplay mechanics of 3rd person games in that era. Then top it off with you only get characters to play with if you buy an inanimate figure and place it on a platter. Yes, you'll need to buy each character, we don't give you even like 10 to play with stock... Looks over at Lego Marvel and see's dozens given out when you make a purchase. What a racket. Horse armor had nothing on this ploy.  

15. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 11:21 HorrorScope

HoSpanky wrote on May 11, 2016, 11:06:
I just had the "joy" of building a rig capable of running Vive VR properly, and here's what I found:

Processor: I7. ABSOLUTE MUST. Tried to put a 3.5ghz i5 in there, games dropped frames. 4 ghz i7 and nothing stutters except load screens (which isn't really surprising). It's running on a Noctua air cooler, and is pretty quiet!

What I find very interesting with the NVdida 10xx series is the tech of displaying both eyes without the penalty of rendering each like current gen gpu HW does. That right there is a 100% improvement and a big deal. With 9xx/Current Radeon that is a big part of the reason we needed more power.

With this we don't have to take the VR resolution and x2 it anymore, so the Vive/Oculus becomes just a bit more than 1080p in terms of pixel pushing, which something like the 1070 should be able to slap around easily. In fact VR display tech should be ready to move to 1440p and beyond very soon, since GPU HW will be readily available and not back breaking in cost or setup. The 1060 should be viable for current gen rather easily.

It will be interesting to see if an i5 works well under those circumstances.

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 11:05 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on May 11, 2016, 10:07:
If it's only 2.5 years old, why even bother upgrading? Get a GTX1070 and your current machine will run everything at 2560x1440 on Ultra at >>>>60fps.

In any case, this article claims to get you a system for $1250 that runs in "near silence." Now, maybe my idea of silence and theirs is different, I have several of the components in that case, and I wouldn't exactly call it silent. I mean, it's not terribly noisy or anything, it's just background noise, but I can definitely hear it.

Right. I have a few friends that are excited about the 1070 and then they started talking about a whole system upgrade... I stop them and say your i5/i7 intel cpu is fine and anything you can afford is a few %'s faster and not measurable enough. Things aren't moving fast enough there, expect for what Blue wants lower power needs/silence. That seems to be nearly the entire focus, which I like, but I'd love procs giving us 25% increase each gen, not 5%.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 10:58 HorrorScope

I think you're in luck that is what the whole industry has been moving towards for 5+ years now. Things are getting cooler and more efficient, so imo if your last system was nice, your next system will be as good or better since the HW is better overall in these areas. I would assume a near silent pc and great performance.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 8, 2016, 15:02 HorrorScope

El Pit wrote on May 8, 2016, 11:27:
Slick wrote on May 8, 2016, 11:10:
-says the guy who's obviously never put one on.

The success of VR does not depend one ME, but VR products (hardware and software) being availabe at a price that the consumer desires and accepts. And that is why the hype stopped just seconds after it has begun.

I do not hate VR, but except for fanatics everyone could see that it is a niche market. But I am sure the next big thing is luring just around the corner after 3D and VR.

Do this, go buy one and have it in your house Tuesday. You most likely can't do that because they are sold out and there is a waiting list at $600 and $800. Why ignore that? In time the price will lower, but they are selling out now, why should they reduce the price? What kind of business sense would that be? Repeat, repeat, repeat.

And as HoSpanky alludes, I don't need this to be the next biggest thing ever. I just need it to be successful that it is supported. I don't have stock in these companies to care. I don't care if my thing is thee thing. In fact I think us being PC gamers we sort of like that hardcore/exclusive roll vs the mainstream one. I just need my personal experience to satisfy me. And yes to cost, pc gaming used to be a lot more expensive, we've gone through a nice dollar savings era, it's good and bad, good we save, bad means things are a bit too stagnant, thus angry gamer. So now we have perhaps a game changer and a great video card leap and then the bitch and moan comes out as if we don't want things to progress anymore. This at one time was at the heart of pc gaming, I like a balance, but we also can use better HW now to. Still a cheaper hobby than many. Don't be a hater... it's here to try and give us something new. Don't try shaping others thoughts to hate because you don't like for whatever reasons if you haven't even tried it.

This comment was edited on May 8, 2016, 15:15.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 8, 2016, 14:59 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on May 8, 2016, 04:37:
Razumen wrote on May 7, 2016, 18:16:
Yeah...this guy doesn't know what he's on about. VR and AR are both two different solutions to different problems, neither one is "better" than the other at all particular situations as he claims.

Totally. That whole hololens demo that MS did looked bullshit, but I've thought for a couple of years now that VR if done properly could fill a pretty important niche and create some unique game experiences.

We like immersion. VR has the ability to deliver deeper immersion, to me that is all it had to deliver.

Yes MS's demo was the whole Milo thing all over again. I try to imagine the code where I can put on glasses and some how Mario World can just start playing in my living room on my furniture like it knows all the boundaries whammo. That is just a quantum leap forward from anything we've ever seen, not saying it can be some of that or we can't get there, but we just aren't going to get there from 0 to 100.

Like the lady putting a piece a paper 10 ft away in front of the Eye Toy on the 360 demoing Milo. It scanned instantaneously and milo was able to read it and react to what was written on the paper, yeah. That is soooo far down the line. A scanner that good would be worth billions in the business sector if it existed, let alone all the rest of it. MS lies, they over do it and they don't need to. They think we are all stupid and for us to like something we have to believe in impossible leaps forward.

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced
61. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced May 8, 2016, 14:53 HorrorScope

TheEmissary wrote on May 8, 2016, 13:11:
Outside of pushing 4K and VR is there really any major demand to upgrade to these cards yet. The currently available cards are able to push DX12/Vulkan and most games to 60+fps. I want to upgrade but I keep weighting the cost of the upgrade verses the little gains I would get.

Right now I am pretty much on the same system I built in 2011 with the exception of adding a SSD and upgrading to a GTX 970 from a GTX580. The CPU side of things isn't looking all that great with 5-10% increases between generations which means my i7 2600k is still holding its own. I want a compelling reason to upgrade the full system but as of right now I am not seeing it.

Possibly not for you and others. But some will be inside of VR and 4k. Others will just want as much fps headroom as you can give them. If this came out 50% or greater in benches that isn't something to poo poo on if we really need it or not. Nvidia did it's job, I wish Intel could come out with a 50% improvement and yes, I could still use a faster cpu to. I'm excited, I skipped the 9xx because VR was looming and this gen would be the first to really respond to it, I don't have VR yet, but I'll still take a monster card happily. But good news for those that don't want to upgrade, yes lesser cards are still very viable today to. Everyone's a winner.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 8, 2016, 03:41 HorrorScope

Then the threat...

"It's worth remembering, however, that it will cost you $199 to change your mind and upgrade to Windows 10 after 29th July. "

6137 Comments. 307 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo