Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6316 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
5. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 19, 2016, 11:31 HorrorScope

I see you can already get these for $250 (and now their gone), they're a solid deal, basically a 980.

In comparison 1060 vs a 480 one may look at it this way:
(I do consider these 1080P cards)

In the next 3 years if you feel you will be doing a lot of dx12 gaming you may lean towards a 480.

If you feel VR with multi-projection may be your thing than a 1060.

But to me if you have a slight bias you can stick with your bias choice AMD or NVidia and be close enough, if you are looking at a $250 dollar card.

Personally I wanted to see a 1060, major update for generational '60 owners vs the previous gen. But I'm now awaiting for std retail price on a 1070 whenever that happens. That and the 1080 just blow off the charts.

If today you have a 970 equivalent or better you may want to sit out this generation.

I'll be looking at a 29"/32" 1080P Ultra Wide and there are some rumors on a Vive revision coming late this year or early next.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2016, 12:25.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
8. Re: Morning Consolidation Jul 18, 2016, 12:45 HorrorScope

HoSpanky wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 11:53:
Creston wrote on Jul 18, 2016, 11:33:
some delusional MS executive

Hahahaha.

I wonder if "demand is high" because people see the S and think this is Scorpio, a year early. I hope not. That'd be...very disappointing.

Yeah another MS marketing fail. I assume the S is slim and it's basically just a slim bone. Don't care if I'm right or wrong on this one.

News Comments > Sunday Metaverse
9. Re: What media companies donít want you to know about ad blockers. Jul 17, 2016, 14:08 HorrorScope

Simon Says wrote on Jul 17, 2016, 12:12:
What media companies donít want you to know about ad blockers.

After careful consideration, I've come to a new realization about this debate...

The advertisers argument that we are blocking their ads is upside down. Its more about wanting to prevent us from not ALLOWING them to use our bandwidth.

There can be varying reasons, I don't have the same issue you have with caps, so that isn't a large concern for me, I'd say if it affects my browsing speed, these additional ad's, that is a problem.

But I think we all sort of know what we don't like.

Evasive ads. (Taking up too much real estate, in your face, slowing you down)

Ad's leaving us less secure and tracking, like because you visit a page, they have a right to follow you anywhere. That is criminal imo.

Ad's that can cause the pc to run less optimally.

I do agree with many here that there has to be a standard created for ad's to the point they are acceptable. But we are so far away from that, so in the mean time I'll make sure I stay on the cutting edge of ad blockers. For example they are picking up some ad blockers now and doing something based on that, but there are other ones they haven't caught up with. That is where you want to be.

My pc booting up and running well is PC initiative A1 for me and visiting a site that can in any way threaten that is them breaking those rules, I'm just reacting and assuming they are all breaking those rules. I'm being vigilant like my president told me to.

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Fly Week
29. Re: Star Citizen Free Fly Week Jul 17, 2016, 12:27 HorrorScope

The sad conclusion is marketing from other companies still don't see a needing player base somehow for a fleshed out space sim. These guys got a 120 million upfront, how do these other companies conclude, "space sim's are dead"? It also isn't a technical monster recreating things we've had in the past, just update it 10 years later. Something is very off with space sims in the gaming market, the math isn't checking out. Lets make another Prey and change up it's whole story.  

News Comments > GeForce 10 DPC Latency Issue
21. Re: GeForce 10 DPC Latency Issue Jul 16, 2016, 12:24 HorrorScope

Redmask wrote on Jul 16, 2016, 06:48:
Nvidia has the entire market locked up. AMD doesn't exist at the high end and no Vega until 2017. Nvidia beat them to the low and mid range supremacy too. All AMD can do now is discount to bargain bin and hope for the best. Nvidia's gross margins are something ridiculous like 52%, I'm not sure AMD is even besting 5% anymore. It's a green world apparently and AMD can no longer be competitive with their reduced R&D and meager marketing budget. The Steam survey was pretty WTF worthy in terms of market share.

We need a real competitor back in this space to keep Nvidia honest.

And by keeping NVidia honest we mean keeping the prices at retail and not above. They are doing their job performance wise, I wish others would keep up not only in gpu's. I would say if vulkan became a popular thing, AMD HW looks quite a bit better. Until we have solid facts on the 1060, the 480 is a worthy card for the price, it is a wonderful budget build card currently. I see EVGA though is having a nice sale on 9xx gen cards.

News Comments > GeForce 10 DPC Latency Issue
15. Re: GeForce 10 DPC Latency Issue Jul 15, 2016, 17:09 HorrorScope

Scheherazade wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 15:28:
Peter M. Smith wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 15:21:
Scheherazade wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 14:51:
Mine was doing this real bad.

Ran DDU and installed latest drivers - it helped a lot, but still was janky.

Then I restored a clean image of my OS (fresh install with no drivers added), and installed only the latest drivers all-around.

Night and day difference. Silky smooth and stutter free.

-scheherazade

When you installed the drivers originally, did you check the "Get rid of everything, install fresh" option?

Always.

But that's not the same as DDU.

The 'fresh install' option just does an uninstall of the current version before installing the new version.
It's not a system sweep of any/all files/references/etc like DDU tries to do.

Realistically, the only way to guarantee that there is no junk/infestation from old drivers, is to load a clean image and install fresh. Can't be infested by something that didn't yet exist (in that system).

-scheherazade

Mileage varies wildly. It seems most do the clean install on new drivers, that sounds good. But what happens when you make a lot of little tweaks per game for optimal behavior? You lose all of that. It's like a lot of gamers simply have very few games installed and loaded ready to play. Where as I have tons of games loaded and ready to play at any moment. Doing a clean install actually would set me back hours, losing settings that can help in stutter, tearing from game to game.

I will thank my lucky stars, in general I've been very blessed with expected results almost always, but not always, but it seems well above the average.

I agree if Nvidia's clean install isn't as good as DDU, then why the hell not? You are specially wanting to purge and start fresh. First party app not being as good as a 3rd party.

News Comments > New GeForce Drivers
14. Re: New GeForce Drivers Jul 15, 2016, 10:36 HorrorScope

shihonage wrote on Jul 15, 2016, 06:00:
We are indeed eternal beta-testers. Never use even remotely new drivers.

Yeah but you got to love when the next new big game comes out, there is a new driver waiting right there for it and you are told to use it... You're right but it's a bunch of lol.

News Comments > Free VR Funhouse
1. Re: Free VR Funhouse Jul 14, 2016, 19:24 HorrorScope

I wonder if it is programmed to take advantage of the free eye rendering pass?  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 14, 2016, 14:37 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 14:02:
Ozmodan wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 12:50:
Problem with Tesla they misadvertised the self drive feature. Idiot owners think that means they can do something else while driving.

They deserve every bit of negative publicity. Several people have died because of their negligence. I can see some big lawsuits coming.

Really? Did they advertise it as self-driving? Links?

Exactly and shit we read in the media doesn't count. Actual users manual is the only thing going to hold water here. This is news to me they were selling level 4 or whatever the term is for fully automated vehicles. I don't even think it is legal to do so yet. So were getting shoddy reporting (surprise) at this time.

News Comments > Fallout Shelter for PC Released
11. Re: Fallout Shelter for PC Released Jul 14, 2016, 12:35 HorrorScope

Gadzooks wrote on Jul 14, 2016, 12:14:
Hey apathetic devs and publishers... stop it. Even Microsoft gets it now. We dont want another launcher. Just put it on steam or sell it on gog.com.

Just knock it the hell off.

Easy for us to say, but Steam charges quite a fee to sell your game, when you are big enough why would one simply surrender such revenue? I get our side of it, but I get their side as well.

News Comments > etc., etc.
4. Re: etc., etc. Jul 13, 2016, 10:48 HorrorScope

DedEye wrote on Jul 13, 2016, 08:06:
If it was anything like the last couple of NHL games they released on PC it was another bug-riddled mess and peeps were pissed. Add the minimal incremental improvements/features every year, and remove some beloved ones; presto, your sales tank.

That's still the part that makes all ea sports fans boil, the bizarre strategy of adding things in each year but also taking things out, as if their marketing team doesn't understand what people want. I think if you look at leading sports games by other devs this doesn't happen.

News Comments > New AMD Crimson Drivers
34. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 13, 2016, 10:42 HorrorScope

Luke wrote on Jul 13, 2016, 04:52:
The only reason peps are buying those nvidia cards are because they own a 34" monitor , it can't be for the games of today , so how about a pair of glasses instead... ya are not getting younger , i understand none of ya can afford a ferrari so ya have to show your "manhood" somewhere else..but please................. Clown 's

Where do you come up with this? What if people just want best performance? What if people skipped a gen or two and will get a massive boost where high settings in games today doesn't = 60 for them and after a 10x0 upgrade they will be > 60? What if people are looking at the VR second render free feature down the road? This is very odd statement to have at a pc-centric site, now all of a sudden power is ehhh no biggy. You can be right that people want to drive their 34" monitors with powerful gpu's... I'll give you that.

News Comments > etc., etc.
1. Re: etc., etc. Jul 12, 2016, 21:20 HorrorScope

They mentioned long time ago the last version sold 400k units and it was profitable, this was back in the height of the pc is dying age. LOL, that happened.

But they say since we are out of pc dev, it's hard getting back in. But then we can point to all the next gen are more aligned to pc architecture than ever, but we'll not bring that to their attention.

This is one game I'd surrender k/m support for, making it all easier to port.

30. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 12, 2016, 21:13 HorrorScope

Pepsi Challenge Accepted:

Sons i5 660
1680x1050
Low/Medium Settings

OGL - Vulkan - Area
23 - 45 - Outside Vega
62 - 62 - UAC
24 - 51 - Foundry

His words, in general everything is smooth now were it wasn't always the case. There are points that would really hit his system hard, we tested those areas noted above.

We can see depending on where you are benching on his system anyway you can see no improvement on places that run well either way to 100% improvement where the dips were at, so I would call that in general a major success.

Perhaps one may point to higher resolution, one may point to quality settings. But on his system as-is, whatever setting he was using, we can see an improvement with his nvidia card and that is the point of it all.

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 2016, 21:23.

26. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 12, 2016, 18:15 HorrorScope

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 17:58:
Take it for what it's worth but leaked 1060 benchmarks show it spanking the 480. http://videocardz.com/62122/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1060-official-performance-leaked
Tis truly a good time to be a pc gamer.

Yeah those look great and I'm only looking at 960 to 1060, the budget-mid range buyer. Worth it, if those hold up.

22. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 12, 2016, 17:07 HorrorScope

Simon Says wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 16:39:
Well, I present raw data from multiple independent third parties, what do I get in return as arguments? Speculation, cherry picking and partially veiled Ad Hominem dismissals, so much for not choosing to act "confrontational" in a "us against them" manner, but I'll dismiss this thought, would be an appeal to hypocrisy and irrelevant anyway.

But you do are conveniently ignoring Computerbase.de's unbiased data and the fact that it is consistent with the data from the video analysis as well as Guru3d's data.

And yes, there are gains for 980TI 1070 and owners, I have acknowledged them earlier, the gains are shown in computerbase.de's article, but they're marginal. The fact is, Nvidia GPUs don't have ACEs, that's undisputed. The only gains they can get are from the driver/software based preempt hack. And the biggest gains are on slower CPUs. But in GPU limited scenarios the gains are either null or marginal.

That being said, neither of you has brought anything constructive to this discussion so far. So I guess it'll just end here as far as I'm concerned and I'll wait for further developments.

All in all tho, these are exciting times for PC gaming, and a lot of people are getting free X-mas presents right now so cheer up! Peace.

Not sure who you are replying to, but if you are replying to me, if I came about as confrontational, that is an emotional state on your end reading it that way. I did state what I have read from users and will state at this time I haven't done a personal test on this. But people have said they have seen large gains with Nvidia and shared them, they could all be funny haha'ing me, I surrender that. If you feel it is without question on your end, great, whatever. Ultimately I do only care about what is accurate here, don't care if AMD or Nvidia win.

12. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2016, 16:18 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 14:40:
"We had a great year! Let's fire 14% of our workforce!"

And corporations wonder why none of their employees have any fucking loyalty to them.

Right they are up 22% today and are being lauded, 6500 lose a job. Wall Street is ruining us.

19. Re: New AMD Crimson Drivers Jul 12, 2016, 16:06 HorrorScope

Simon Says wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 13:35:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 13:02:
I've seen user feedback on Vulkan Doom where the Nvidia cards were seeing a large boost as well.

Seems like the 1070 isn't seeing any of that love, heck, it even loses some performance in 4k.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/new-patch-brings-vulkan-support-to-doom.html

Altho your mileage may vary if you are CPU bottlenecked it seems... But if you're not, no love for you. Good news for those with old CPUs tho ( like me ).

Unless people are lying... so far I'll I've seen published is the same graph linked over and over. Reddit has a thread about this, with this graph, but in the comments, there are Nvidia people stating they are seeing healthy increases as well.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
11. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Jul 12, 2016, 14:17 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 11:29:
nin wrote on Jul 12, 2016, 10:40:
Warner paid PewDiePie and other YouTubers to praise Shadow of Mordor.

This thing that was so stupid about this (and Warner not allowing reviews unless they could approve them beforehand) was they had a fantastic game on their hands. There was no need for any of this bullshit, except someone in the company apparently didn't have any faith in the product.

Exactly. Why get roasted on a game that's just genuinely good? I'm playing it right now and having a great time. The map could be larger (it feels more like a large yard than Mordor), and I wish the orcs didn't take 17 hits each to kill, but other than that it's fantastic. Great atmosphere, cool missions, the Nemesis system is awesome (I have an orc captain who is totally gay for me. Keeps calling me "my sweet" as he keeps coming back from the dead.)

I can see doing this on a fairly crappy game, but why on something so good?

He still brings in a legion... it was a new franchise game for them.

It is a very fun game and interested to see where they go next.

Personally I'm just not wrapped up on game reviews or such anymore, I simply have the tools I need today to make a choice and professional or singular opinions have a low weighted score from me.

And yes to bug pharma and how this particular issue is minuscule in comparison.

8. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 12, 2016, 14:13 HorrorScope

But a decent i5 or better system with 8 gigs o ram from any mfg that allows standard size cards to be added in. Buy a $200 or whatever more you would like to spend on a GPU. Boom you have a good gaming pc.

Or if you don't want to do anything get the same above for about $300-$400 and buy a name brand gaming pc.

6316 Comments. 316 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo