Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Fort Collins, CO 03/24

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6672 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
5. Re: Morning Mobilization Jan 10, 2017, 23:57 HorrorScope

Bundy wrote on Jan 10, 2017, 17:07:
I'd much rather have access to traverse my whole house in a VR game than a better looking game but be stuck within a small room.

Depends on the game.

Pokemon Go... I rather have the whole country to rummage around in vs having to sit in my chair. Sounds good, but different genre's and energy levels.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 10, 2017, 16:21 HorrorScope

Shows around a 10'ish FPS increase over a 1080.  

News Comments > New Steam User Record
6. Re: New Steam User Record Jan 9, 2017, 12:02 HorrorScope

NKD wrote on Jan 9, 2017, 03:02:
Rigs wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 22:05:
I dunno, seems a little bullshitty to me. It's a Sunday afternoon during playoff football season. I just don't see it happening. Then again, it's cold AF outside, so... Whatever

=-Rigs-=

Maybe it's the rapture.

Maybe it's China. China. CHINA. china. cHiNa. CHiNA!

News Comments > Saturday Metaverse
17. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 8, 2017, 18:18 HorrorScope

Mr. Tact wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 17:36:
I knew about Trump's tweets concerning Schwarzenegger, but I hadn't seen Schwarzenegger's response -- very classy. Arnold's right -- and for those who didn't read it, Arnold quotes part an Abraham Lincoln inaugural address:

"We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory, stretching from every battlefield and patriot grave to every living heart and hearthstone all over this broad land, will yet swell the chorus of the Union, when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature."

I pretty much think Trump is a twerp, but starting 20 Jan, he will be POTUS -- we need to do what we can to help the country despite our personal feelings.

Here's how I'll be helping the country:
Staying out of trouble.
Producing at my job.
Consuming for the economy.

14. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 8, 2017, 11:25 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on Jan 8, 2017, 10:19:
I used to think like you, but at work, we had a choice of IE7 or Chrome. I used IE7 for all things Google, and Chrome for everything else.

IE7? Well that isn't even really fair.

8. Re: Saturday Metaverse Jan 7, 2017, 18:03 HorrorScope

Dacote wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 12:23:
Edge is a flop, chrome is a hog, hopefully firefox will improve.

Are you struggling with browsers or what?

I doubt I'll move any time soon from Firefox due to addons/protections. Edge is fast though.

News Comments > etc., etc.
8. Re: etc., etc. Jan 7, 2017, 15:59 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Jan 7, 2017, 01:16:
Paid revenue flat. Wow. That's a big change from just two years ago (IIRC), when it was still growing 30% year over year over year.

Too many other digital storefronts constantly undercutting Steam, lackluster sales and nothing but endless page after endless page of garbage shit games, and the Steam machine has finally ground to a halt.

Valve better start paying attention, and, I dunno, maybe have some dude roll his fucking desk over and make some changes.

Since they aren't publicly held and still making a killer profit I'm sure, they don't have to care or answer to anyone. Big dif when you're a private company.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
13. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 7, 2017, 02:11 HorrorScope

Yep Raiders are done. How about Chiefs vs Falcons?  

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
12. Re: Morning Metaverse Jan 6, 2017, 22:23 HorrorScope

He showed us! Celebrity Apprentice ratings are down, he was better.  

News Comments > Conan Exiles Trailer
18. Re: Conan Exiles Trailer Jan 6, 2017, 19:44 HorrorScope

Xero wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 19:41:
I don't know, this game looks like it's 7 years too late or 7 years too old.

For survival games this is near the tops in looks imo.

17. Re: Conan Exiles Trailer Jan 6, 2017, 19:44 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 18:13:
HorrorScope wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 17:57:
Timmeh wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 16:59:
I don't know..

a game that promotes slavery...

felt kind of sick in my stomach watching that part.

Yep, shit just jumped the shark.

Don't feed the trolls, brah. Slavery. Yeah, and he's one of the Trump loving clowns that support Andy Puzzler who's all for real-life slavery.

Yep that one was my bad...

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin
40. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 19:42 HorrorScope

Slick wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 15:57:
HorrorScope, reasonable reply from a reasonable (wo)man, how dare you!

I just think that culturally it's a bit odd that Gamers are obsessed with the publishers and storefronts. I've never heard of anyone uttering the words:

"Brah, I don't ever go to see LionsGate or Paramount films, they're pretty evil"

"Dood, we don't go to Cineplex Cinemas, don't you know they're an evil corporation? They'll never trick me into seeing a movie there."

I think that more scientific study needs to be devoted to this, fuck learning about fast radio bursts, let's figure out what's happening with humans on message boards.

Also, If I were to extend my often-used analogy, I'd say that Origin isn't so much a Fry's, as a Juicy Couture. The point being that Fry's is just like walmart, it sells things from many different brands, and barely has any in-house products. Juicy Couture on the other hand, their stores only sell mostly Juicy Couture products, with other brands being accessories.

I'm tellin ya, still like the place, moderation is great, the characters can at least handle some heat without a major meltdown, but man it seems too many are growing old at heart, not liking the new all that much. Overly grumpy, make mountains out of mole hills etc, granted there are some mountains out there, but not everything is, like a game client/overly... not a mountain. The only chance we had of one store front would have been MS doing this around 2000, never entering the console market, stay solely pc, do it all for free so all publishers could/would use, keep us all nice tidy and loyal to the O/S. But that ship sailed.

14. Re: Conan Exiles Trailer Jan 6, 2017, 17:57 HorrorScope

Timmeh wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 16:59:
I don't know..

a game that promotes slavery...

felt kind of sick in my stomach watching that part.

Yep, shit just jumped the shark.

9. Re: Conan Exiles Trailer Jan 6, 2017, 14:31 HorrorScope

That was always my secondary beef with Funcom, other than lying, but those guys are long gone. Is that they were adamant with trying to make a AAA mmo all the time and it seemed they didn't really have the horses for that. But bring it down a notch or two to a SP or game like this, it seems like they could shine there as they have more skill than your standard indy team learning as they go.

I was hoping H1 was going to be that AAA take on the Survival Genre, but that came out indy feeling as well. So if anyone can really delivery a AAA survival game, dedicated server, world building, along with a good AI PvE antagonist and a bit-o story, I think the gaming world in general is awaiting that, coming from the opposite other end to meet in the same place would be like making skyrim/f4 coop. All the other indy offerings still seem like two years out to have all those makings, with indy style gfx's, not AAA.

Isn't there another AAA survival game in the works? Perhaps by Epic or someone like that? Edit: Fortnight. Also State of Decay 2, should be final at release and be killer in coop.

This comment was edited on Jan 6, 2017, 19:17.

4. Re: Conan Exiles Trailer Jan 6, 2017, 13:04 HorrorScope

Agent-Zero wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 12:02:
i imagine it will quickly become a griefer paradise like all the other online survival games with persistence... they are supposed to have ways you can set up defenses while you are offline, but im skeptical to say the least how effective that will be

also the roving gangs usually dominate everything very quickly based on numbers and consecutive hours online

Well it depends on what type of server or friends you have. For me I'll run my own (assuming it has a dedicated server option)with only those invited. Yeah I need to do some more research. I'm assuming this is their survival game, like H1, 7D, Emp, Ark etc and not a std mmo in any way.

News Comments > Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin
34. Re: Mass Effect 2 Free on Origin Jan 6, 2017, 11:33 HorrorScope

Slick wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 06:07:
ZeroPike1 wrote on Jan 6, 2017, 05:49:
Getting Mass Effect 2 for free awesome. Convincing the old hold outs that Origin is not equal to selling your PC's soul to the advertising devil? A much harder battle.

Not to mention Origin is alot less useful as Steam, as it is only an EA platform. Annoying? yes. Dumb yes? No different then Steam ultimately. And more useful then Ubi's launcher as EA has a wider range of games.

And the DLC, only a couple are worth anything, the rest is generally useless trash.

define "useful".

Between Steam and Origin, they both have a built-in browser (who the fuck cares), they both can stream directly to popular streaming services (any real streamer will be using OBS or xsplit), and an integrated VOIP service (any gamer worth their salt is using discord).

The only thing I can think of is that the steam product pages link to their own forums "discussions" that's actually useful. But that's about it. I don't think it warrants the larger memory footprint, but in all honesty, who the fuck ares about that anyways, we're talking the difference of like 100 to 150 megs of ram. I'm pretty sure this one tab of BluesNews in chrome is taking up about that much.

It's just a storefront. You get BigMacs from the McDonalds store, not from Burger King. Just like you buy EA games from Origin, not Steam. This isn't revolutionary thinking. Just because Steam is the WalMart of the online game stores, doesn't mean that every developer should publish their games in WalMart cause you're too lazy to "walk" (read: click a different icon) to a different store in the mall.

Agreed, but I think those against won't be changing minds soon, like win10, etc. You mention the discussion forum, I don't recall origin having a real rating system either, again nice to have.

My bottom line is reasonable business and what would I do if I were them... it to me is unreasonable for them to have to give steam 30% of the retail price, that alone would force my hand to have to build something like this when your company is that large, that is really the only sane business choice. So with that, I cannot fault them. So it is what it is and it seems to work for me without any headaches.

I live in a world where each game stands on its own, because they make a bad or good game last time, doesn't mean the next will be the same. So I'll judge each as they release. I'm not relying on anyone to have to deliver a great game, if not I'll just pick something else, over 500 games were released new to steam just in Dec, there is plenty to choose from.

I'm hoping the next ME is great, love the engine, if not, oh well, next game up.

1. Re: Conan Exiles Trailer Jan 6, 2017, 11:19 HorrorScope

It will be interesting to see how much is done once EA opens with this. Obviously if looks great for a survival game. But I do think many are now wanting that extra part of AI/Objectives to start coming into focus on these games, where it start me vs elements, but ends up me vs a living world fighting back with some direction. Most of the EA games are promising this, but it is taking forever. So do they come out with a bare bones model with things like this promised in the future or is it already in there?

Good to see Funcom be able to make a non-mmo, it does look professional.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 5, 2017, 23:49 HorrorScope

Good to see a revision Vive coming in a couple months.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
15. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 5, 2017, 20:02 HorrorScope

Task wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 19:09:
No shit right? For those that like the term "Fake News" (a hilarious term, I guess its the new "Conspiracy Theory" term), I remember quite clearly when fake intelligence

Fake news is a thing, there are people that have come forth and told us how they did it, why and how you can make money at it. These aren't political parties or official entities. They created fake news out of thin air to rile people or push an agenda, but the bottom line to get clicks and money. That is different imo.

This comment was edited on Jan 5, 2017, 20:22.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
7. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jan 5, 2017, 18:54 HorrorScope

Redmask wrote on Jan 5, 2017, 09:28:
Microsoft has started porting their console exclusives to the PC and has redoubled efforts to unfuck the Windows Store. Spencer constantly mentions the PC platform now, its getting a lot of attention. What else were you looking for?

Right. The question is will they do a good job? Probably not. But we'll see over time.

6672 Comments. 334 pages. Viewing page 14.
< Newer [ 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo