Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6319 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Quantum Break Win10 Follow-up
5. Re: Quantum Break Win10 Follow-up Aug 13, 2016, 12:32 HorrorScope

Well we know who he's voting for.

I guess dry sarcasm is now a proper PR tool.

"sorry to hear you are having problems. Its unlikely we release another Win10 patch."

Yeah I can see how that can get stupid people with poor sarcasm detectors.

Thomas Puha - Head of Communications at Remedy / Quantum Break.

God damn and it probably pays pretty well.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > No Man's Sky Released
59. Re: No Man's Sky Released Aug 13, 2016, 12:22 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Aug 13, 2016, 11:32:
You guys know this is available on GOG, right? With a 30 day money back guarantee, right? Not Steam's joke that is 2 hours.

The game is mana from heaven if you're a seriously OCD completionist type that likes repetitive tasks, it fucking sucks for anyone else. I think the average rating on GOG atm is 2 stars with most reviews voicing similar opinions and all looking to get refunds. So yeah, a ton of buyers remorse as I expected.

Well I took a quick look 10 of 25 pages of reviews and first it is now at 3 stars out of 5. But almost all the complaints are actually technical ones. Those without technical issues in general have seemed to enjoy the game to this point.

I've watch some streaming, I can totally see the OCD or boring state that kicks in as it does seem repetitive. But you are doing the "I went and saw this movie that most are liking which I don't understand why, because everyone at the theater I was at walked out and thought it was the worst movie ever". I don't see the level of what you said is happening over there at GOG reviews.

Then I searched the word "refund" on the first 10 pages, there was 3 that mentioned a refund. 1 was stating refund time, another was if they don't fix the tech issues within the time frame "We should all get refunds" and another stated GOG won't refund me. So that is far from everyone is asking and getting refunds.

One thing that peaked my interest was the person that said they wouldn't get a refund, so then I decided to see what GOG's 30 Day Money Back is all about. Well it isn't a "no questions asked refund" which Steam's 2 hour limit basically is, but yeah that is only 2 hours vs 30 days here, got it. They will give you your money back if you can't get the game to work period and you have to try, you can't just phone it in. Have you got your refund? It will be funny if you thought you could demo it and are then stuck for $60 on a game you knew you wouldn't like, just wanting to confirm you suspicions, tell the world you were right all along, as you gamed the system. That would be a hoot.

Here's the TOS:

https://www.gog.com/support/support_view/30_day_money_back_guarantee_faq#en

It's not like it is terrible for gaming at all, but there are some real outs for them to.

IMO you have overstated the issue there at this time.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2016, 12:29.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Released
58. Re: No Man's Sky Released Aug 13, 2016, 12:02 HorrorScope

El Pit wrote on Aug 13, 2016, 10:27:
To sum it up, it is better to wait and see if they add more diversity in gameplay and flora/fauna, I understand? Maybe there will be a GOTY version in a year or so with added features. It's alright, I can wait.

I think I've heard they have long term support plans, is that correct? If so it will take the path of most survival games, and in years there could be lots to do, who knows.

Some say I feel sorry for those people... bs, there was plenty of information prior to release about what you really should be expecting from the game. So no one with an ounce should be coming away from this in some type of shock. In the case of day 1 issues, yeah that always sucks but if it gets sort out in the first few days, these types of things pass quick enough.

Lets act like we've all been here many times already.

News Comments > No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds
47. Re: No Man's Sky Launch & Workarounds Aug 12, 2016, 16:55 HorrorScope

Silvanus wrote on Aug 12, 2016, 14:34:
Here is a pretty funny review.. Enjoy.. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hd6Ed_MULvI

-Silvanus

Guy does a review in a Jaboody Dubs sense.

News Comments > Morning Crowdfunding Roundup
6. Re: Morning Crowdfunding Roundup Aug 11, 2016, 20:11 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Aug 11, 2016, 14:20:
garnish their wages until the day they die.

I like this idea, that would be a long-lasting painful reminder. Worst case they decide to leave the country to escape the penalty, good.

News Comments > Xbox One Controller Windows Issues
55. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Issues Aug 10, 2016, 12:22 HorrorScope

shiho wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 17:57:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 16:11:
What if I scan the system periodically and it comes up clean? I don't run real time, but I do scan every so often, haven't found anything in years.

What I've been trying to get through to people for YEARS, and which doesn't seem to sink in, is that post-factum "scanning" doesn't do shit anymore.

Either the attack is stopped before it hits the vulnerable software, via a TCP/IP scanner, or it gets stopped during the execution of the injected or just user- or program- ran code.

If it doesn't, the virus becomes a rootkit. From that point on, it is undetectable by conventional antivirus solutions, which lag 10 years behind industry needs in that department.

They mask themselves using filesystem tricks, append to system files, replace system files, etc. Some detect when infected files are being scanned, and un-infect them, then re-infect them. A lot of those tricks were used in the DOS era, and later forgotten.

ComboFix has been the one program that actually "roots" them out. It is basically an automated hacker toolkit designed to destroy harmful hacker toolkits.

If you run Win7 or XP, I suggest you have System Restore enabled, and then run it.

Windows Defender is the worst of the worst.

Does ComboFix work with Win10? I'll check and run it if so. I get your point, well noted and if these weren't mostly entertainment systems yes I would run a tighter ship. But I do measure the systems crticalness and the results I do see and adjust over time. I'm not saying I'm right, I'm not telling others not to do whatever makes them sleep at night and all that.

I will say is you are very confident in what you mention and seem to shit on most AV systems in general it seems, but I have to think then almost all people using AV's are running AV's that you possibly deem as no good, so look at all of that false hope. I want real hope, if it is there for window dressing, I really have no need for it. If it can really do the job, then I wants.

News Comments > etc.
3. Re: etc. Aug 10, 2016, 12:15 HorrorScope

As Madden would say if you got 10 million species you have none, or was that QB's?  

53. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Issues Aug 9, 2016, 16:11 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 12:59:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 17:46:
Exactly. A protected browser, firewall etc does the trick. Since I run with image backups, I can also be loose, I'm 30 minutes away from being clean.

You don't know that your initial image is clean is the problem. If you run no protection, you don't know any better. Once you get rooted you're done and without any initial protection you won't know any better. Any backup you make after initial installation could be compromised. User practices are important but you can still get exploited through no fault of your own and that's what you fail to account for. There are many exploits that will hit you regardless of how up to date Chrome is or what firewall you're using. You're just counting on luck more than anything else.

While I agree that many have turned their sites on commercial targets which are lucrative, there is still a massive amount of user level malware out there too.

What if I scan the system periodically and it comes up clean? I don't run real time, but I do scan every so often, haven't found anything in years.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
4. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 9, 2016, 15:27 HorrorScope

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 11:52:
The older I become, the more I am convinced that the US is becoming a corporate fascism.

I don't think any convincing is needed any more. While Europe is at least fighting against some of these fronts, the ole USA give zero fucks about the word freedom in practice. We're still great a lip servicing freedom though. There is still freedom out there, but it narrows vs expands these days.

50. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Issues Aug 9, 2016, 11:08 HorrorScope

shiho wrote on Aug 9, 2016, 02:11:
@HorroScope: That's the other extreme. Running without a decent antivirus (and MS shit doesn't count as such), is reckless.

It IS possible to get infected, like for instance with the recent hack of a download site which embedded a virus into the installers.

Or, through a hole of some shitty browser addon like Flash.

Or, say, you bought a Ubisoft game, realized what a hassle their "service" is, and decided to pirate it instead, because pirates get a better version of it, with the service stripped out. You run a questinonable crack made by some kid with morals looser than his mom's vagina.

Worse yet, in the past 10 years the nature of Windows viruses changed drastically. Practically every virus these days is a rootkit.

Once it is executed, you will have no traces of its activity in the system, such as CPU time expenditure. Maybe excessive bandwidth spending - MAYBE NOT.

Conventional antiviruses are as great at dealing with rootkits as an ED-209 was at going down the stairs.

There are specialized utilities like Combofix, which do a much better job. Unfortunately Combofix doesn't support Win8 and up.

I would suggest you run ComboFix (from BleepingComputer.com) for shits and giggles. Let it create the System Restore point first, of course. See if it digs something up in its deletion report, because it very well might.

You say it is reckless but I've been doing this for ages. You then go on to mention how conventional AV's can suck, well 99% of the people must have false hopes. I am totally backed up, so really anything I'd be doing isn't that reckless, unless you feel my system is unsecure to the point someone will data mine it for user/password data. But major companies doing all the right things so far have been hacked infinitely more than I have personally.

I get those that run AV's religiously that how would they know how things are without using one these days? I still reference around 2004's was the height of virus fever for me and my family, at one point I felt you really did have to have something running. I do contribute that a good browser with add-on's does help, or at least did years ago when I first started using them. Perhaps I'm in the same type of boat some are with AV, maybe things like no-scrip etc aren't doing much for me anymore. However, my hunch believes good browsing habits can make a world of difference.

I can only state I'm being honest with everyone in how I do my thing. I'm the guy that has seen a system run for over a year without a reboot and I'm talking about my main gaming system. I had over a decade in a system that started with Win95 to 98, ME etc, with tons of HW updates and survived until I went with a Win7 64 bit O/S. And never had all these slow down issues people talk about with bloated registries from upgrading O/S's vs clean install. I have a cousin that clean installs when any little thing happens, I google and take the time to fix it, so I figure he's a type of user out there, meaning you have two choices with problems, fix it and keep what you have or clean load when anything odd continues to happen, if you don't backup.

I do know Win10 is using Defender again and is back on at this time, hasn't found a thing. Will review that process today come to think of it to see what is up.

Another bonus having a SSD since they are small, as we use them for putting our O/S on and perhaps a couple big games we play at the moment. It keeps the O/S drive small and under control. Making clone backups easier to find a place to backup 250 Gigs of space on a HDD vs needing another large HD to back up a large O/S hard drive.

I will say I've always been pretty lucky working with PC's, it sorta became my thing. Knocks on wood.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2016, 11:19.

News Comments > The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible
8. Re: The Evil Within and Rage Sequels Possible Aug 9, 2016, 10:40 HorrorScope

If they were to make Rage 2 do you see more blurry textures and invisible walls? Or do you think those are the types of things that would be improved for version 2?  

48. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Issues Aug 8, 2016, 17:46 HorrorScope

shiho wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 15:52:
RedEye9 wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 14:53:
I am glad people recognize my superiority, it makes me feel good.
But it is ok to question me no matter what some might think.

If you turn off automatic updating, and you don't remember to be vigilant, your PC will rarely if ever get patched. You'll be one of a minority with wide-open security holes.

Most of which can't even reach your average PC behind a router. And are faster stopped by an antivirus with network intrusion detection than laggy Microsoft patches. And have new security holes or plain instability in them, which could as well be more severe than the old ones, given Microsoft's lackluster QA.

Exactly. A protected browser, firewall etc does the trick. Since I run with image backups, I can also be loose, I'm 30 minutes away from being clean.

I don't have real-time protection on, I use Firfox with a few protective addons, systems have been clean for not a couple years now, but many years, I do clean up some adware say once a month. I'd probably go as far to say if I ran with real-time protection it would be catching false positives of apps I do run and ok.

If MS thinks it has to give me a monthly release of "critical security updates" that tells me there is really no security at all if we have to get down to the minute nitty gritty. It's just a ship full of holes, but at the same time it isn't nowhere near as dangerous as some think if you play it a little smart, I also don't feel like a target.

My main Win 7 system was probably a good year out of updates, perhaps some of my off systems going on a couple years. These updates aren't all that. Perhaps I have to manually update a .net dependency if an app needs it, GPU driver etc.

We all have to do what we do, but I can attest you can have a clean system running much looser than what is considered safe, with a good browser and habits. Keep a system running for months, being smart with sleep. Win7 was a breakthrough and 10 so far is keeping up with the same, simply solid reliable performance.

Probably been 3-5 years since I've seen a hint of a virus, probably been 15 years since I've seen someone hack into my system. My systems aren't all that exciting for someone to want into.

Where I do get hacked? On commercial sites that get hacked and get my login credentials, that is really the place where I've been vulnerable and have seen it, haven't been bit badly yet there though.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2016, 17:57.

41. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 8, 2016, 12:40 HorrorScope

NetHead wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 12:26:
LiTh wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 15:16:
Nothing more enjoyable then watching Blues posters bitch and moan about microsoft as they post from their microsoft OS's.

So people shouldn't, bitch and moan, about thing they use causing problems?

Especially when there are so many alternatives...

Infallible logic you have there.

I don't see that many alternatives if any for what I do at this time.

One thing we have to protect ourselves from in general, is taking a report on the internet and assuming it affects a lot of people.

We have to think everyone that has upgraded anything, windows, linux, that a person out there has seen a fairly unique issue from all sorts of things.

When one is on a witch hunt you look for a problem and magnify it, but reading about someone losing a linux partition, a controller not working, steam not displaying right. Well with millions of people there are going to be reports of all kinds of problems but are they widespread?

If I want to gravitate to any issue a random person reports, I can find every O/S to be a complete fail, because random people everywhere have random issues on everything.

That said, I am willing to find fault with Win10 if it deserves it. I get those that don't want to touch it due to spying if you will. As others have said, you should pretty much count on Win7 and Win8 as a spy machine as well, it's what they do. But if you are like me, measure what you are doing, recognize I do have smart phones as well that spy. I was able to overcome that obstacle.

So now I'm dealing with more general nuts and bolt of daily use, I can tell you early reports... it isn't a struggle.

News Comments > No Man Sky Patch & Plans
19. Re: No Man Sky Patch & Plans Aug 8, 2016, 12:18 HorrorScope

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 8, 2016, 08:14:
I didn't care much for this game, but as the release time approaches I am getting excited for it.
I think I will pick it up.

I'm definitely interested in the details and their road map.

I get the thought on where procedural coding could be a huge snore feast and I'm not excited about mega huge worlds, as I feel they can be too big for their own good. But at the same time, I have no skin in the game and have no real ill will for them, so I hope its good, there can still be fun things to be had.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2016, 11:19 HorrorScope

Games like 7D2D what they did was just called a specific version "The Console Version", called it final. Kept PC in early access and will continue to patch the "console version" as well. So it's all in the name.  

29. Re: Xbox One Controller Windows Issues Aug 8, 2016, 00:46 HorrorScope

RedEye9 wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 23:13:
You should never disable Windows Update.

Why?

22. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 7, 2016, 17:14 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 17:06:
HorrorScope wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 16:37:
For example this article shows what I think we all know, stop Update Service... and if that works, then really what in gods name is all the fuss about? This is one of the oldest tricks in the book. I assume there is something funny going on where it doesn't work, system goes in and stealth starts it any way, otherwise the "You can't stop updates" is one of the most grossly reported issues in the history of Windows feardom.

http://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-windows-update-windows-10/

The update service isn't actually RUNNING on W10 all the time. It gets turned on by something, presumably in the registry, but could just as easily be something hardcoded somewhere, checks for updates, installs them, then the service gets turned off again.

Simply disabling the service does exactly 0% against stopping those updates from being installed. (on Home Premium anyway.)

Any link to that? I'm not disagreeing though, I assumed some funny business has to be happening with what you hear. However I have links of doing this and MS confirming it works to, articles from this year. They warn you against doing it because it could stop critical security updates, but I don't fear those.

21. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 7, 2016, 17:12 HorrorScope

Reading up on some more about rolling back... one person here mentioned if you get the anniversary version and have issue you can roll back and that is only now good for 10 days, that seems to be true.

But ok... how does that even work? Lets say I roll back, well hell-o! I'm still then on the last version of Win10 and it seems I need to update to Anniversary. So why wouldn't it try again at that time, creating a vicious circle? Info?

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2016, 17:22.

18. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Aug 7, 2016, 16:37 HorrorScope

LiTh wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 15:16:
Nothing more enjoyable then watching Blues posters bitch and moan about microsoft as they post from their microsoft OS's.

And most likely not on Win10. But whatever... the update hasn't kicked in on my units yet, no idea when/if it will happen. I do have the update service turned off and the system rarely reboots in case it does a reset of the service at that time. So I'm not sure how updates work in a scenario like this.

For example this article shows what I think we all know, stop Update Service... and if that works, then really what in gods name is all the fuss about? This is one of the oldest tricks in the book. I assume there is something funny going on where it doesn't work, system goes in and stealth starts it any way, otherwise the "You can't stop updates" is one of the most grossly reported issues in the history of Windows feardom.

http://mspoweruser.com/turn-off-windows-update-windows-10/

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2016, 16:47.

News Comments > Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears
15. Re: Star Citizen Alpha 2.5 Nears Aug 7, 2016, 16:33 HorrorScope

Total-Khaos wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 16:27:
Kajetan wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 15:11:
El Pit wrote on Aug 7, 2016, 14:35:
But remember: only few people reach the age of 80 years and over.
I will bequeath my SC account data to my eldest

Well, unfortunately, the TOS you agreed to made it so you can't transfer account ownership. Your eldest will have to become a backer if he wants to play. Whenever that is...

And my TOS says I'll pass over user/password to anyone I damn well feel like whenever I like.

6319 Comments. 316 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo