Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6827 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > Hello Games New Project Plans
12. Re: Hello Games New Project Plans Mar 3, 2017, 11:59 HorrorScope

jacobvandy wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 11:04:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 10:46:
Verno wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 10:12:
They made one of the largest disappointments in gaming history so I doubt I will be checking out their follow up. I don't feel like they've adequately delivered on the initial promises, let alone earned a reprieve on a sequel. Big meh.

Sean Murray lied his ass off about NMS too so whatever they say about this game, expect the opposite.

Think of this, many shit on EA games... well most still actively develop and fully focus on these offerings. I see if you put out a game in relatively the same shape but call it finished... you can just move on, fire and forget. So ponder that for a while, in a case like this EA has the advantage, still sole focus, at least for most.

Isn't it a bit early to be drinking?

It's past Thursday.

I'm happy with the EA games I do have, they are all developing and releasing updates fairly often. Better than... forget about and move on Sean. Edited original, yeah that was bad, I'm never that good, but that was bad.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Hello Games New Project Plans
3. Re: Hello Games New Project Plans Mar 3, 2017, 10:46 HorrorScope

Verno wrote on Mar 3, 2017, 10:12:
They made one of the largest disappointments in gaming history so I doubt I will be checking out their follow up. I don't feel like they've adequately delivered on the initial promises, let alone earned a reprieve on a sequel. Big meh.

Sean Murray lied his ass off about NMS too so whatever they say about this game, expect the opposite.

Think of this, many shit on EA games. Most EA games are still actively in develop and the companies sole focus. I see if you put out a game in relatively the same shape, but call it finished, you can just move on to something else, fire and forget. So ponder that for a while, in a case like this, EA has the advantage of still being heavily in development and not a passing project.

Edit: Sorry for the writing, hopefully this is a little cleaner to read.

This comment was edited on Mar 3, 2017, 12:01.

News Comments > AMD Ryzen Reviews
55. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 20:01 HorrorScope

Update I was reading on a subject of reviews with wildly differentiating game results. Leading candidate as to why? Different MB's and the consensus think that bodes well for Ryzen once they are all figured out and updated. Will keep an eye out on that, if it matches the 7700K or say within 5'ish percent, then all the rest and possible better future proofing come into play, maybe.  

53. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 19:06 HorrorScope

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 18:52:
I'm confused by all these replies.. some saying its good, some saying intel still wins.

What's the actual story from just a video game stand point (ignore cost difference)? Intel is still king?

Yes that is where Intel still wins. Just gaming concerns and happy where everything else falls. Intel. At least until many many cores are thee thing. But if everything really is important or no games at all (probably wouldn't be here) the Ryzen looks to be the winner, because the cores matter in those apps.

News Comments > Game Developers Choice Awards
16. Re: Game Developers Choice Awards Mar 2, 2017, 18:43 HorrorScope

NMS winning anything positive, um yeah. lol  

50. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 18:40 HorrorScope

El Pit wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 12:41:
So, if you don't care about money and just about absolute power, you will go with King intel. If you want adequate bang for a few $$$ less, you will go with Princess AMD. Right? At least this is what I understand from those benchmarks.

Is it about money? To me it seems about what do you do? Heavy game focus, all around, non-game? The money to me seems close, less a couple way out there Intel offerings.

Ryze to me looks like a Paladin.

I'm happy enough with it, leave out games and Intel has work to do. If it were just about games, to Intel it isn't, they could still coast a little, but not much. So as we say competition is good, Ryzen as a non-game chip alone should force Intel to step up and gamers will assuredly get gains to. Ryze as an all-arounder is great and it gives Intel the need to step up. So job done. Competition is back at hand, even though it doesn't win games, Intel needs to make some moves and gamers I'm certain will win with the gains they give us.

37. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 14:46 HorrorScope

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 2, 2017, 14:20:
All the naysayers crack me up.

Intel still wins the single threaded battle, but not by any significant margin and single threaded is a rare occasion any more.

I wont argue with the cores, there are places that it will shine. In my case I'm not to concerned, satisfied with the performance I get in those apps, totally game focused here. But what is your rebuttal to techspots benches? It is substantial.

Others mentioning older process like my one i7, there is still a nice leap going to say a 7700k. I know many people down play procs but how do we explain results that show procs can matter? I'm 90% sure I'm waiting still though...

This comment was edited on Mar 2, 2017, 17:33.

13. Re: AMD Ryzen Reviews Mar 2, 2017, 11:33 HorrorScope

Yeah for gaming, TechSpot benches show the Ryzen getting killed still. It seems AMD both CPU and GPU are betting everything on multi-thread, we'll see if it pays off soon.

Are the lesser core version of Ryzen planning on having better single core speeds or just faster core speeds in general vs these ultra high core offerings?

Now starting to lean on waiting again. Year 6 for my main i7! No one wants my money.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 1, 2017, 22:51 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 22:40:
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X versus Intel Core i7 6800K First Official Gaming Benchmarks Leaked.

Maybe a slight edge to Intel, but looks pretty much like a wash to me.

I need a $250 Ryzen that can compete closely with a 7700k.

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 1, 2017, 22:50 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 21:34:
So glad I came across that news about the new RX500 series in April and the Vega launching in June. I was about to pull the trigger on ASUS RX480 8Gig card today as it finally hit $300 - where up until now they've been $380, when I decided to check to see when the next price drop for cards was coming since Vega is on the way. So yeah looks like I'll be waiting another month or so to see what's what.

Yeah pretty strange release schedule there.

News Comments > LG VR HMD Specs
5. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 1, 2017, 22:47 HorrorScope

mag wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 21:06:
HorrorScope wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 20:55:
Yep interested to see how it compares, said will be priced similar to the others.

Rift also dropped $200 today.

They also mentioned they are working on next gen which they say is a big step forward. Wait for it... 2+ years out, these guys aren't consumer electronics enough, they are going to go with what they have today for at least that much longer.

Somehow LG is going to put out something with a bit higher rez, even though 110 fov is the same as the others, it has more horizontal rez, so that is interesting to ponder. If nothing else this is a nice little step forward. Rift not able to take steps like that? Not one little design tweak?

Windows Hololens stating they'll be cheaper.

This isn't coming out anytime soon. LG says they'll "announce" something by the end of the year. That's a long time for Oculus, HTC, and Razer to put together their next-gen hardware.

Read article today Oculus is 2+ years out for next. lol

News Comments > LG VR HMD Specs
2. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 1, 2017, 20:55 HorrorScope

Yep interested to see how it compares, said will be priced similar to the others.

Rift also dropped $200 today. Oculus also mentioned they are working on next gen which they say is a big step forward. Wait for it... 2+ years out, these guys aren't consumer electronics enough, they are going to go with what they have today for at least that much longer.

Somehow LG is going to put out something with a bit higher rez, even though 110 fov is the same as the others, it has more horizontal rez, so that is interesting to ponder. If nothing else this is a nice little step forward. Rift not able to take steps like that? Not one little design tweak?

Windows Hololens stating they'll be cheaper.

This comment was edited on Mar 1, 2017, 22:48.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
28. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 1, 2017, 20:29 HorrorScope

The hell then I read the story about this guys problems, ain't nothing on this guys...

"For instance, a tech worker named Michael who earned $700,000 last year finally got frustrated by his 2.5-hour commute and inability to land a house closer to work in San Jose."

700K and couldn't find a place to live? I live less than 2.5 hours away and fuck I'd have 600K to do whatever the hell i'd want. Also know the area and lets say he can't get into SJ, I wasn't aware nothing was available. He can totally find a place no more than 45 minutes out and make a killing at 700k. Insert fake news theme.

News Comments > NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month
53. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month Mar 1, 2017, 19:11 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 18:55:
While I'd prefer a 1080P OLED over a 4K LCD, the sweet spot I think is a 3440x1440 ultra widescreen (21:9) OLED.

144hz? I would agree. Cost?

11. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 1, 2017, 18:25 HorrorScope

MacLeod wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 10:24:
The link on that page the headline links to about amazon doesn't actually bring me to any actual deals on Amazon. Just goes to my normal suggested page.

2nd event at Amazon in the past two weeks that promised savings to get rejected in the cart my order doesn't qualify. In this case, nothing but pc parts as said. I hope they don't think it is still good publicity when I get rejected like that.

News Comments > The Secret World to Relaunch
9. Re: The Secret World to Relaunch Mar 1, 2017, 17:43 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 09:08:
As with any business model adjustments there is a significant risk attached to this change

You mean the risk of re-releasing a game that few people wanted to play originally? Yeah. I'm not sure I'd call it a "risk" so much as "probably setting money on fire."

Sounds like a call to players... this is the last chance and if you don't respond we're pullin the plug soon.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
15. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 1, 2017, 17:41 HorrorScope

Dman20 wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 09:49:
Pending medical and exact taxes he's probably bringing home 65% of his pay after (401k, medical, fed taxes, state taxes, etc), so roughly 104k, 36k in rent later your down to 68k of usable income.

68k after rent is paid isn't bad at all, over 5k clear a month.

45. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month Mar 1, 2017, 17:36 HorrorScope

Nullity wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 15:52:
It's an IPS panel. Acer XB271HK.

Monitors using VA panels aren't that common (especially for gaming), and IPS has significantly better image quality than TN. I was also worried about 1440p on a 4k panel, but it looks really good too. The PPI is high enough that any image degradation from the non-standard pixel ratio (1:1) is completely hidden, and looks much better than 1080p (27" is too big for 1080, imo). Whatever method this panel uses for the scaling was well done.

I want to jump in here at this spot I think, I've been a big believer in quality scalers could fix a lot of issues, esp in VR. When we think a 2k or 4k wide panels in VR, we then think, what kind of PC beast will I need to drive that, does it even exist? But if you had a good scaler in the process (99% of us don't and is why running not native rez looks like ass), you can have a 4k panel but run a much lower resolution on it and hold sharpness. What you gain is a much higher pixel density of the native panel, less black space between pixels, which creates the screen door affect. With that gone, a much lower rez still looks very good now, you notice the low rez today because of the screen door on the native low rez panel. Not saying native under a tight eye isn't better, but it is better than a lower rez panel and same resolution.

Using projectors for a long time now, pixel density is part of Image Quality since you are blowing small panels up over 100"'s, mfg's build them tighter to remove that black gap as much as possible, so when blown up it doesn't look like Lite-Brite.

News Comments > Torment: Tides of Numenera Released
40. Re: Torment: Tides of Numenera Released Mar 1, 2017, 16:32 HorrorScope

NetHead wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 12:48:
Even the ones that are praised drop things that were stretch goals, frankly the law should be knocking on those doors.

Not for any one new one you have to take two away.

37. Re: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti This Month Mar 1, 2017, 14:01 HorrorScope

Burrito of Peace wrote on Mar 1, 2017, 12:55:
Eh, I'm more excited for the Ryzen benchmarks tomorrow. GPUs have been in the "good enough to game well" for a long time. I'm also old for this demographic and wear glasses so 1080p is about what I can handle. I'm more excited for Vega, its price points, and its Linux performance. Nvidia can eat a bag of dicks for what they're doing to GPU passthrough and consumer GPUs.

Right now if I move to a 7700K I get a 45% increase in CPU speed per benches. So many though from what I read tell me... "games aren't cpu bound, they don't matter". But then I do find more rare sites that do cpu benches and it makes a difference, they use the same GPU and in fact using different cpu's have noticeable differences in FPS. I get confused about the whole conversation.

What I want is to be able to move to something around that 45% increase or better for $450 tops. That means proc/mb/ddr4 ram. Right now that isn't happening. Can Ryzens 6/12's be able to deliver that? That is what I wants ta know.

6827 Comments. 342 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo