Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6025 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online DLC Plans
11. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online DLC Plans Apr 28, 2016, 17:53 HorrorScope

Darks wrote on Apr 28, 2016, 13:50:
Ive actually been enjoying Guild Wars 2. Have several toons at lv 80 now.

Yeah I thought I was done with Gw2 and really MMO's but I did an update of the client after the lead designer left and wouldn't you know it, hooked. They've made a lot of nice improvements since I played a while a year after release. The spring time update was much needed on loosening the slots up some if you will. I'm shockingly impressed. The combat and strat of builds is exemplary imo.

Now ESO, perhaps had the same it's good but sort of ehh like GW2 did for me initially. So with a new expansion and perhaps like getting rid of the Vet grind and reworking some mechanics. Maybe, just maybe.

But GW2 and what I remember of ESO when I played oh say a year ago for a couple months. GW2 by several lengths.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > New Borderlands Confirmed
22. Re: New Borderlands Confirmed Apr 23, 2016, 11:23 HorrorScope

Gadzooks wrote on Apr 23, 2016, 04:15:
BL2 on the other hand, had an actual story, that was more than just "Go to planet, find vault, open vault" that was the gist of the first one. The main thing however with BL2, was just the sheer brilliance that went into the dialog between the npcs and the characters. So many lines went on to be well known things all over the net, even by people who didnt ever play borderlands.

Yep. It sticks out like how the same narrative stuck on in System Shock 2. I feel BL2 is a mix of Diablo/SS2 game mechanic wise and that is a good mix in general.

News Comments > Into the Black
15. Re: Into the Black Apr 22, 2016, 13:23 HorrorScope

NamecaF wrote on Apr 21, 2016, 23:16:
LOL. Prince was a colossal wanker. Everytime I hear his name I cant help but laugh and think of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LhcParuzpc

One of those, click to see it, 31 minutes, I'll watch a couple to get the jist. 31 minutes later done watching. Good story, as much insight as I probably need to know about Prince and his ways. We know he has many songs fully produced and in vault we've never heard.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
7. Re: Morning Metaverse Apr 22, 2016, 11:59 HorrorScope

There must be something going on for why they would do this:

Scam or law change. This mentions only seeing it in EU and we know there have been some changes in EU law with game distribution/ownership.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Apr 19, 2016, 22:37 HorrorScope

Intel could have a lot more money if they could figure out how to make a much faster processor in the $300 range. Static over here. It's not like we don't want to buy, you just aren't giving us a reason. Are we at the end?  

News Comments > Mafia III in October
17. Re: Mafia III in October Apr 19, 2016, 13:11 HorrorScope

Bold Predictions

All new games from AAA publishers will have DLC and Season Passes.

I think many aren't crazy about this, but it is what it is, you are fighting a losing battle. Perhaps a good self-catch is to think perhaps these are the things generationally, with each generation has their own unique things that grow people old and cranky. "I don't like", "when I was a kid", "it was better" and all of that. Continue on though, act surprised by this. Easier to just ignore game or buy a few years down the line, assume time between release and GOTY $10 sale as additional testing and patching.

News Comments > etc.
14. Re: Petition for Legacy World of Warcraft Servers Passes 150k Apr 18, 2016, 18:20 HorrorScope

DarkCntry wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 16:46:
Yes, WoW's overall gameplay has changed somewhat from vanilla and the focus of the game has shifted from group-oriented content and raids to that of what we have now,

I haven't played in forever, but what is it like now? Curious.

News Comments > Star Citizen Free Week
18. Re: Star Citizen Free Week Apr 18, 2016, 14:03 HorrorScope

NegaDeath wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 13:58:
If this thing ever launches all these ship sales are going to make it like joining a late-game MMO for new players. Lowly newbs who dare to purchase the final game will be smited from above by the gamblers for their audacity to exist.

Awaiting "it isn't pay 2 win" response.

I agree. Throw in a number of EA games as well.

News Comments > Dark Souls III Sales Record
8. Re: Dark Souls III Sales Record Apr 18, 2016, 13:17 HorrorScope

maximus0402 wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 12:14:
If your getting 3 to expect to have a better port for PC then from what I understand there is some key mapping limitations

Yeah I fired up my boys copy, he's on a game pad and yes I know I hear over and over play it that way. But then again, it's 3rd person and to me it seems it should be totally fine with a k/m. I would normally be amazed at how sloppy the remapping screen and remapping works in general, but from reading over the years, it seems this was always a weak spot. Surprised though that they just can't get some of these very small issues right. It is selling quite well on the pc end. I know there is a patch coming so I decided to wait for this and some other reasons.

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Extended
38. Re: DOOM Open Beta Extended Apr 18, 2016, 13:13 HorrorScope

ItBurn wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 12:54:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 12:43:
mram wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 02:45:
Both me and my kiddo got on the Overwatch beta and the Doom beta for this weekend. We played the hell out of Overwatch. Doom got about 10 minutes, and we even had some trouble with logging in.

Pretty much my entire feelings are mirrored by the plentiful Steam reviews.

Was that a full 10 minutes or more like hard 5? Yes, someone stated that a lot of reviews are from players under 1 hour, I think he meant that as a bad review due to not enough time. But whatever, either game you mention is just all more of the same we've had, good or bad. Doom is all but a name now, those that mattered in the making of the franchise, long gone.

One hour is enough! It's all the same, over and over.

Yeah I can agree in several cases but it is still a bit shallow, ones mood, commitment, preconceived feelings can really vary with such a quick peak.

But then the wise choice is "I already own this type of game already, same thing over and over, might as well save the $60 and play that". It's what I pretty much conclude most of the time. It is why VR is intriguing to me, something fresh, I think we need it, but opinions will vary.

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Apr 18, 2016, 13:10 HorrorScope

Tachikoma wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 09:53:
shihonage wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 05:01:
making games at a company like EA, Origin, Ubisoft, etc., is just making SOFTWARE. It's not a passionate, creative task.
[...]
Big giant AAA games are all garbage anyway.

Wow, the angst is real. This kind of insufferable attitude is what kept me off the (new wave) indie games for years, just out of spite.

In general I thought his points were well made other than as you point out, this was very over stated about AAA's all seemingly are bad, in fact many are very good and most can only be made with an army due to scale. To me it totally has its place, like indies do as well, very healthy state right now other than over-saturation.

That said, I would never do what you do... you basically did two wrongs. 1. We're controlled by what others say and reacted in the opposite because of #2. Out of spite. Don't let others push you around, just take it as an opinion for which it is, there is no total agreement in things like games.

This whole board can hate... ports, AAA's, Indies, VR, 3D TV, whatever. That won't change my mind unless they really were able to point out something that I'm missing that is really tangible as to why I should not like something. It happens from time to time, but usually some other category than what I've stated. There are way too many games now that I don't even need to sweat a particular games bad decision in terms of design or marketing. I can just totally move on and miss nothing, rarely is it worth the time anymore.

Like if Doom sucks, so what? First I probably have 25 other PvP games or SP romps to play, some still with "Install" next to their name that I haven't even played yet. There is another 1/2 dozen in the works releasing soon. Doom isn't even Doom anymore in terms of who's doing it, it is a marketing name game, there's something not to fall for.

News Comments > DOOM Open Beta Extended
35. Re: DOOM Open Beta Extended Apr 18, 2016, 12:43 HorrorScope

mram wrote on Apr 18, 2016, 02:45:
Both me and my kiddo got on the Overwatch beta and the Doom beta for this weekend. We played the hell out of Overwatch. Doom got about 10 minutes, and we even had some trouble with logging in.

Pretty much my entire feelings are mirrored by the plentiful Steam reviews.

Was that a full 10 minutes or more like hard 5? Yes, someone stated that a lot of reviews are from players under 1 hour, I think he meant that as a bad review due to not enough time. But whatever, either game you mention is just all more of the same we've had, good or bad. Doom is all but a name now, those that mattered in the making of the franchise, long gone.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
5. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Apr 17, 2016, 18:43 HorrorScope

HoSpanky wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 22:14:
Pigeon wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 13:54:
Fantaz wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 13:50:
it would probably be silly to buy a new video card at this point now with the new ones coming out really soon (Pascal, etc.)

Even if you don't care about having the latest tech, once pascal comes out there will likely be some deep discounts on the 970 and 980(ti).

It never seems like it's nearly as good of a discount as you'd expect, which is what they're going for...they want you to buy the newest cards.

Right, I have never really know it to work like that with pc parts.

News Comments > Sunday Legal Briefs
3. Re: Sunday Legal Briefs Apr 17, 2016, 18:40 HorrorScope

We'll always lose in the long run unless there is some rule to state once something passes it can't be over-turned for X time and that being a good number of years, unless there is some super majority. Business self interest has all the time in the world to keep pressing.  

News Comments > Op Ed
23. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 18:29 HorrorScope

Squirmer wrote on Apr 17, 2016, 18:18:
"My wife is leaving and my life is falling apart, but that's totally fine because I get to make video games for a living!!"

Yeah pretty odd to think someone would plan a career like that.

News Comments > Op Ed
21. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 18:28 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Apr 17, 2016, 17:41:
Not everyone has the ability or the opportunity to go indie. And most that DO go indie essentially starve, since they can't make any money.

Yeah not all that long ago if you made a good game you could expect a good chance at making some dough. Now with the saturation it's has a bit of luck in it now that you picked the right genra, did it well and just enough of the right people bought it and loved it to spread the gospel. There are tons of good games and that isn't enough now.

News Comments > Op Ed
13. Re: Op Ed Apr 17, 2016, 15:58 HorrorScope

I agree with this on avg:

"Anybody good enough to get hired to write games can get paid more to work on something else."

Now working 80 hours on your passion is fine to if you are single or your wife doesn't like to see you around.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
7. Re: Morning Tech Bits Apr 16, 2016, 12:39 HorrorScope

Bastiat's Ghost wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 17:05:
TheEmissary wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 14:16:
I can't understand at all why VR headsets get a free pass for vendor lock-in and walled ecosystem. This really makes me not want to buy a Oculus at all.

You shouldn't.

I'm getting a Vive just to give a middle finger to Fuckerberg. It's becoming incredibly obvious who supports open and honest systems and who wants a locked down, closed platform that they completely control.

Do research on anything you buy and support open platforms whenever possible. We have seen what happens (Windows 10 spyware) when people don't.

Yeah it's going to be Vive for me to once they are more readily available in store after personal demo. Open platform is a biggy and well it has the rest of the trimmings to.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
13. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 16, 2016, 11:20 HorrorScope

descender wrote on Apr 16, 2016, 09:33:
That's great news, I'll have to tell my eyeballs that they can't actually see those phone screens the next time I'm watching a movie.

You won't need to, look at the screen. You can't see the laps in front of you.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
10. Re: Morning Mobilization Apr 15, 2016, 22:10 HorrorScope

Dev wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 22:04:
HorrorScope wrote on Apr 15, 2016, 14:15:
I don't get how others even notice other people texting, it's silent and the light is inconsequential.
But it's not. Lots of people leave the "beep at every letter pressed on keyboard" option on. And lots of people leave cellphone background set to maximum to see it during the day, without thinking about battery usage.

That is a problem, I would only assume silent texting.

As for screen brightness, I've actually tested it because it came up before here or somewhere else and I wanted to see. It is inconsequential.

Are people really struggling with this often? I go a 1/2 dozen times a year and haven't had one issue. That said I don't go see the hot movie Fri/Sat night, those are mad-houses for a lot of reasons beyond a phone. Luckiest man alive, blessed with a strong pc to. In fact it is so good, that I frequent this site to see what a boot screen looks like:

Watch Me Reboot

6025 Comments. 302 pages. Viewing page 12.
< Newer [ 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo