Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 07/23

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6024 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 11:21 HorrorScope

HoSpanky wrote on May 11, 2016, 11:06:
I just had the "joy" of building a rig capable of running Vive VR properly, and here's what I found:

Processor: I7. ABSOLUTE MUST. Tried to put a 3.5ghz i5 in there, games dropped frames. 4 ghz i7 and nothing stutters except load screens (which isn't really surprising). It's running on a Noctua air cooler, and is pretty quiet!

What I find very interesting with the NVdida 10xx series is the tech of displaying both eyes without the penalty of rendering each like current gen gpu HW does. That right there is a 100% improvement and a big deal. With 9xx/Current Radeon that is a big part of the reason we needed more power.

With this we don't have to take the VR resolution and x2 it anymore, so the Vive/Oculus becomes just a bit more than 1080p in terms of pixel pushing, which something like the 1070 should be able to slap around easily. In fact VR display tech should be ready to move to 1440p and beyond very soon, since GPU HW will be readily available and not back breaking in cost or setup. The 1060 should be viable for current gen rather easily.

It will be interesting to see if an i5 works well under those circumstances.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 11:05 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on May 11, 2016, 10:07:
If it's only 2.5 years old, why even bother upgrading? Get a GTX1070 and your current machine will run everything at 2560x1440 on Ultra at >>>>60fps.

In any case, this article claims to get you a system for $1250 that runs in "near silence." Now, maybe my idea of silence and theirs is different, I have several of the components in that case, and I wouldn't exactly call it silent. I mean, it's not terribly noisy or anything, it's just background noise, but I can definitely hear it.

Right. I have a few friends that are excited about the 1070 and then they started talking about a whole system upgrade... I stop them and say your i5/i7 intel cpu is fine and anything you can afford is a few %'s faster and not measurable enough. Things aren't moving fast enough there, expect for what Blue wants lower power needs/silence. That seems to be nearly the entire focus, which I like, but I'd love procs giving us 25% increase each gen, not 5%.

12. Re: Out of the Blue May 11, 2016, 10:58 HorrorScope

I think you're in luck that is what the whole industry has been moving towards for 5+ years now. Things are getting cooler and more efficient, so imo if your last system was nice, your next system will be as good or better since the HW is better overall in these areas. I would assume a near silent pc and great performance.  

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
9. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 8, 2016, 15:02 HorrorScope

El Pit wrote on May 8, 2016, 11:27:
Slick wrote on May 8, 2016, 11:10:
-says the guy who's obviously never put one on.

The success of VR does not depend one ME, but VR products (hardware and software) being availabe at a price that the consumer desires and accepts. And that is why the hype stopped just seconds after it has begun.

I do not hate VR, but except for fanatics everyone could see that it is a niche market. But I am sure the next big thing is luring just around the corner after 3D and VR.

Do this, go buy one and have it in your house Tuesday. You most likely can't do that because they are sold out and there is a waiting list at $600 and $800. Why ignore that? In time the price will lower, but they are selling out now, why should they reduce the price? What kind of business sense would that be? Repeat, repeat, repeat.

And as HoSpanky alludes, I don't need this to be the next biggest thing ever. I just need it to be successful that it is supported. I don't have stock in these companies to care. I don't care if my thing is thee thing. In fact I think us being PC gamers we sort of like that hardcore/exclusive roll vs the mainstream one. I just need my personal experience to satisfy me. And yes to cost, pc gaming used to be a lot more expensive, we've gone through a nice dollar savings era, it's good and bad, good we save, bad means things are a bit too stagnant, thus angry gamer. So now we have perhaps a game changer and a great video card leap and then the bitch and moan comes out as if we don't want things to progress anymore. This at one time was at the heart of pc gaming, I like a balance, but we also can use better HW now to. Still a cheaper hobby than many. Don't be a hater... it's here to try and give us something new. Don't try shaping others thoughts to hate because you don't like for whatever reasons if you haven't even tried it.

This comment was edited on May 8, 2016, 15:15.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
8. Re: Saturday Tech Bits May 8, 2016, 14:59 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on May 8, 2016, 04:37:
Razumen wrote on May 7, 2016, 18:16:
Yeah...this guy doesn't know what he's on about. VR and AR are both two different solutions to different problems, neither one is "better" than the other at all particular situations as he claims.

Totally. That whole hololens demo that MS did looked bullshit, but I've thought for a couple of years now that VR if done properly could fill a pretty important niche and create some unique game experiences.

We like immersion. VR has the ability to deliver deeper immersion, to me that is all it had to deliver.

Yes MS's demo was the whole Milo thing all over again. I try to imagine the code where I can put on glasses and some how Mario World can just start playing in my living room on my furniture like it knows all the boundaries whammo. That is just a quantum leap forward from anything we've ever seen, not saying it can be some of that or we can't get there, but we just aren't going to get there from 0 to 100.

Like the lady putting a piece a paper 10 ft away in front of the Eye Toy on the 360 demoing Milo. It scanned instantaneously and milo was able to read it and react to what was written on the paper, yeah. That is soooo far down the line. A scanner that good would be worth billions in the business sector if it existed, let alone all the rest of it. MS lies, they over do it and they don't need to. They think we are all stupid and for us to like something we have to believe in impossible leaps forward.

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced
61. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced May 8, 2016, 14:53 HorrorScope

TheEmissary wrote on May 8, 2016, 13:11:
Outside of pushing 4K and VR is there really any major demand to upgrade to these cards yet. The currently available cards are able to push DX12/Vulkan and most games to 60+fps. I want to upgrade but I keep weighting the cost of the upgrade verses the little gains I would get.

Right now I am pretty much on the same system I built in 2011 with the exception of adding a SSD and upgrading to a GTX 970 from a GTX580. The CPU side of things isn't looking all that great with 5-10% increases between generations which means my i7 2600k is still holding its own. I want a compelling reason to upgrade the full system but as of right now I am not seeing it.

Possibly not for you and others. But some will be inside of VR and 4k. Others will just want as much fps headroom as you can give them. If this came out 50% or greater in benches that isn't something to poo poo on if we really need it or not. Nvidia did it's job, I wish Intel could come out with a 50% improvement and yes, I could still use a faster cpu to. I'm excited, I skipped the 9xx because VR was looming and this gen would be the first to really respond to it, I don't have VR yet, but I'll still take a monster card happily. But good news for those that don't want to upgrade, yes lesser cards are still very viable today to. Everyone's a winner.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
4. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 8, 2016, 03:41 HorrorScope

Then the threat...

"It's worth remembering, however, that it will cost you $199 to change your mind and upgrade to Windows 10 after 29th July. "

News Comments > NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced
44. Re: NVIDIA GTX 1000 Series Announced May 7, 2016, 21:49 HorrorScope

Kxmode wrote on May 7, 2016, 17:24:
Because VR has no killer app(s). There's nothing driving people to spend $600

Aren't they pretty much sold as fast as they are made?

If the hype is true that we'd be nearly doubling our performance, that is still quite something. Now if you need it or not at this time, personal choice. But imo N is doing their job if they are doubling power.

News Comments > Volition's Agents of Mayhem Revealed?
2. Re: Volition's Agents of Mayhem Revealed? May 6, 2016, 16:45 HorrorScope

rudra wrote on May 6, 2016, 15:49:
theoretically sounds like a mix between the superhero stuff from saints row 3 and destruction from red faction guerilla... which would be killer

Yep sounds fun. Find your niche.

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials
7. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials May 5, 2016, 23:26 HorrorScope

Sepharo wrote on May 5, 2016, 23:09:
No he's saying they're going to go down because they snubbed a pirate vanilla WoW server

LOL

News Comments > Steam Customer Review Changes
27. Re: Steam Customer Review Changes May 4, 2016, 14:15 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on May 4, 2016, 09:02:
I'm not looking to send a message with my game purchases - I have too little time to game. I'm looking for something I'd enjoy.

Isn't that the truth. The many things we don't like aren't going anywhere and we are fighting a battle that isn't even being listened to.

26. Re: Steam Customer Review Changes May 4, 2016, 14:13 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on May 4, 2016, 08:56:
eRe4s3r wrote on May 4, 2016, 02:35:
Cutter wrote on May 3, 2016, 22:53:
I'll never understand why reviews aren't out of 10. We live in a base 10 world. It's easier - and a hell of a lot more useful - to change scores later on, as well as judge a game that's a 3/10 vs. 7/10. instead of just yes or no.

But a recommendation doesn't have 10 shades of grey... either you recommend a game or you don't. That itself is subjective, but the recommendation is a binary choice, not a base 10 rating decision.

Sadly many people on Steam writing these things misunderstand what they are actually for... but oh well, that's Steam.

I see a ton of reviews where people give a thumbs down wishing there was another option. Basing out of 10 is the best barometer we have.

I think up and down works to. I've taken 80 as the baseline, if it is 80 or above and I'm interested I'll be more confident and take less time knowing certain details. If it is below 80, then I'm looking things over much more carefully. That has been fairly good with Steam.

To me the huge skew'r is the first day reviews that are mass thumbs down. A game can never recover and the scores are so low <60, that I can totally see someone seeing that score and just moving on and nothing else. I think that is what they are after fixing.

16. Re: Steam Customer Review Changes May 4, 2016, 02:56 HorrorScope

Quboid wrote on May 3, 2016, 20:44:
If I'm considering buying a game, I want to know how good it is now. Reviews from a launch fiasco aren't going anywhere but that's not particularly useful information to potential customer a year later.

Agreed. Not saying it was me... but I did float this idea over there. Because games can be destroyed day 1 and can fix initial issues and be quite good.

News Comments > Battleborn Begins
27. Re: Battleborn Begins May 3, 2016, 23:52 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on May 3, 2016, 19:10:
ForgedReality wrote on May 3, 2016, 18:29:
Help me out here. Is "post-launch content" the new "DLC" where they can't be bothered to actually release a finished game, so they excuse that on the false premise that they're doing a service to gamers by continuing to support it, when in reality, they're just finishing the game after charging people for a partial experience so they don't get sued, or what?
I dunno, maybe. I haven't played it, but it sounds like a fair bit of content

- 25 unique playable characters
- 9 SP missions, totaling 12-15 hours or so.
- 6 MP maps
- 3 MP modes

And they're promising a bunch of free characters, maps, and modes soon. I guess you could call it "unfinished" but a game like this is pretty modular, so stuff can be added continuously to expand the game. When do you draw the line? I guess it depends on how much your trust GB to deliver. I've always found they've delivered a ton of value in their original games like BL 1 & 2, both of which I have 150 or so hours in each. My son started playing BL2 recently, and watching him play really gave me the itch.

Wow just 9 coop maps, they better be HUUUUGE!

News Comments > Battleborn Begins
23. Re: Battleborn Begins May 3, 2016, 18:41 HorrorScope

This looks good to me.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
11. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 3, 2016, 17:37 HorrorScope

JediPunisher wrote on May 3, 2016, 15:35:
I triple boot Windows 10, Windows 7, and XP...
I use Windows 7 daily, and only boot Win10 or XP when I have to.
IMHO Windows 7 > 10 > XP > 8

LOL. XP over 8. Put classic shell on 8 and 7,8, 10 for most users... Same.

News Comments > Steam Top 10
37. Re: Steam Top 10 May 3, 2016, 17:01 HorrorScope

christheshitter wrote on May 2, 2016, 17:08:
jdreyer wrote on May 2, 2016, 15:14:
I don't get the hate for Factorio. People complain that all the games these days are sequels and retreads, but when something unique comes out, they shit on that too.

As for old games being "better," I think it's rosetinted shades. Remember pixel hunts? Remember pressing all the walls in Doom and Quake to find the secret door? Remember having to trek across miles of nondescript terrain in Daggerfall? Remember reading walls of text in the original BG and FO games? Try playing those old games these days. The nostalgia usually doesn't live up to the reality.

There are bad trends in modern games for sure, but it's easy to avoid those. We live in a gaming guilded age right now.

I would otherwise agree with you but that's exactly those things you describe that was the charm with older games. There were a lot of crap back then as well but as games weren't as broadly and easy as they are now, they had a more specific target audience.

I want to use my head, i want a good challenge and i want deep games even though light games would suffice too. Nowadays it feels like you are you are a roller coaster visitor which doesn't have to do anything. That's why you have to dig a bit deeper to find those good gems of today when you really didn't have to before.

I get your point, but overall gravitate more towards JD. I want to add that there are so many games now, I don't need a few games to carry a whole year for me. So now mundane things, I don't need to burn hours with, in fact I'm looking for more elegance in design, to get in and get out. But then when a single game does grab me, then I really don't need anything else for a while.

There is just so much out there right now, IMO it's an incomparable era today. I just have to feel if you can't find some games that make you really happy, congratulations you have graduated past video games, you thought it would happen one day, you know grow up... it did.

News Comments > Saturday Mobilization
4. Re: Saturday Mobilization May 1, 2016, 12:25 HorrorScope

Right they aren't giving up, they can't give up. Basically that market is the mobile device market. Their CEO would get canned if they just gave the future up. Yes, we're throwing in the towel here at Intel.  

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online DLC Plans
19. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online DLC Plans Apr 29, 2016, 18:04 HorrorScope

Heltorne wrote on Apr 29, 2016, 00:08:
Steele Johnson wrote on Apr 28, 2016, 21:45:
Definitely one of the loneliest mmos I've ever played. Some of the toughest dungeons at the beginning are single-player only, so you can barely play with a friend. Their approach at trying to make it like a single-player game was the worst decision they could have made. It just turned out to be a boring single-player game with the option of having friends grind through boring quests with you. It's really too bad, because the graphics and sound were really good for the time.

So weird that's my favorite thing about this game!

Not weird, I'm with the op here, a MMO shouldn't be that heavily geared toward single player, but they do have to because there is a large group like yourself that want MMO's to be SP games if a player chooses. To me it is one part of the crappy MMO scene in general today.

IMO SP games are better than a MMO SP game. You always have to stay really tight in the numbers mix with a MMO, can't go too far out because everyone has to be lassoed in tightly. SP games, better story, doesn't matter on the perfect protected balance, I can have over the top things vs heavily controlled. In this case Mods beats zero mods to add in personal fun.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online DLC Plans
11. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online DLC Plans Apr 28, 2016, 17:53 HorrorScope

Darks wrote on Apr 28, 2016, 13:50:
Ive actually been enjoying Guild Wars 2. Have several toons at lv 80 now.

Yeah I thought I was done with Gw2 and really MMO's but I did an update of the client after the lead designer left and wouldn't you know it, hooked. They've made a lot of nice improvements since I played a while a year after release. The spring time update was much needed on loosening the slots up some if you will. I'm shockingly impressed. The combat and strat of builds is exemplary imo.

Now ESO, perhaps had the same it's good but sort of ehh like GW2 did for me initially. So with a new expansion and perhaps like getting rid of the Vet grind and reworking some mechanics. Maybe, just maybe.

But GW2 and what I remember of ESO when I played oh say a year ago for a couple months. GW2 by several lengths.

6024 Comments. 302 pages. Viewing page 11.
< Newer [ 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo