Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6825 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
9. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 22, 2017, 13:45 HorrorScope

BIGtrouble77 wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 12:50:
This is total horse shit. I've been a software consultant working from home for 3 years now and I'm more productive than I've ever been. I'm not preoccupied with getting home on time to see my family, I don't have a commute to deal with and I'm overall happier and less stressed. This translates in me getting more immersed in my work and actually enjoying it.

A lot of what you just said is about your personal productivity and not the companies, they don't care about your commute, they will care a little about your stress, but you have to professionally manage that for survival. Also your job is different than marketing as described, I can see how in person synergies being useful with marketing teams. What IBM is doing isn't new and the more successful competitors are describing why they want the people in-house. I'm not saying they are right or wrong, but it is their call and 19 quarters south, yes it sucks because it is change.

You next part, yes I would not make a blanket statement that remote workers are bad. Could they be? Yes. Anyone can be. You do have to be professional no doubt. There are privileges afforded, so you have to be careful.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta
13. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 22, 2017, 13:32 HorrorScope

Cutter wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 13:01:
No, if I was selling games I wouldn't use Steam either.

You would most likely be making a mistake, you have no name in gaming so it isn't like you can take the Witcher brand and push GOG heavily and people will come. You would find steam the easiest way to get your game out there to the largest audience. Plenty of developers have already said for a game with your credentials, Steam is essential, they know and have spoke. I do agree 30% is high and all that, but there are other truths in this equation that make Steam the right answer for most.

5. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 22, 2017, 12:13 HorrorScope

The IBM thing, I think it is very reasonable to expect a different focus when people are together vs apart. They reference plenty of solid reasons and companies in their market that want their people together purposely and they have the fresh tech and results to back it up. It is sort of the young vs the old, Google vs IBM, Facebook vs IBM. The old make fun of the millennials, who's laughing now? Those younger companies don't even want older people I hear, because chances are they are set in their old ways and old tech. Also if I may add, the old probably have a shit ton of BS policies in place that fuck up innovation, because that is what older duller people do, make things to slow things down to their speed. I'm one of the old guys by the way, work in a company even a little larger than IBM and know the BS policies. We say speed speed speed, but still have way too many useless roadblocks.

I was surprised Gallup states 25% of the entire US workforce works remotely, that seems way too high, 10% seems even high. Not sure if I believe them or perhaps their definition is looser than what we're lead to believe in this article.

They are paying for relocation, good. No raises for moving into a large metropolis? Again could be a play on words, there are market values adjustments, they aren't called raises, so I still wonder if those will apply. At my company SF = +20% vs base.

Severance was shockingly low, 1 month? 1 month at IBM? What is more std for their industry is like 2 months per year service with a max after a couple years. 1 month? That's not a typo? Sheesh.

I have the ability to take a position that allows me to not only work and home but anywhere at home, like on the other side of the world at home. This news does make me think a little more about that, if I do take a position like that, I might not want to go too far away, because if they were to call us back in, that would really add to the pain, maybe when I'm down to my last 5 years.

I totally get a company that isn't performing well to think getting their people back in, focused as a reasonable move. I totally get it would suck and blow for the employee that is now vested in their own location and has very cozy arrangement.

News Comments > Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows
3. Re: Vulkan Multi-GPU Support for Windows Mar 22, 2017, 11:38 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 10:03:
Somewhere, far in the distance, a poor Microsoft engineer is standing there with the tattered remnants of DX12, going "We're still here! Hello? Guys? Guys...?"

MS is lost in the woods about how to handle pc games. It time it seems only the xbox brand won't be supported. Uh oh.

News Comments > GOG Galaxy Leaves Beta
9. Re: LG VR HMD Specs Mar 22, 2017, 11:36 HorrorScope

Dentorro wrote on Mar 22, 2017, 11:02:
Why give 30% of your money to Valve if you can get it al for yourself? I can see more publishers in the future go their own route so they earn more.

That's why I can't blame the big boys for doing it, if I were in their shoes making the business decisions, biggest no-brainer there is.

And yest to Battle.net, Blizzard always given the pass.

Origin does sell non-EA games. Their front-end allows non-origin games to be loaded in as well. They also have a monthly service that allows you to play around 70 games for one cost, Steam doesn't have anything like that.

Ubi seems to sell just Ubi and they have a sale on right now... Dishonored 2 is sold out, didn't know that was possible with a digital game, lol.

Went into windows store once, just once. Clueless company on pc gaming.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews
122. Re: On Sale Mar 21, 2017, 19:21 HorrorScope

DarkCntry wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 08:25:
CJ_Parker wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 08:12:
-snipped for sanity-

Look, CJ plays a game he's railed on for months and stated he wouldn't lower himself down to the rest of us plebs by playing....

Go fuckin figure. First moments available.

News Comments > Morning Legal Briefs
8. Re: Morning Legal Briefs Mar 21, 2017, 18:12 HorrorScope

I get the point but is that even unique?

If I buy something on amazon, is my local town getting any money? So if people buy a product online in NZ, the locals probably aren't getting tax dollars, but is that odd? Now there most likely is a VAT tax or the like bringing the phone into the country, so it isn't like it isn't taxed at all and NZ is left out. But that's not the point in sensationalist reporting, is it?

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches
54. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 18:08 HorrorScope

Fell out of my chair last night watching the Warriors game on TNT. There is a series using the "We're only human after all, We're only human after all", song as part of the promo.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
21. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 21, 2017, 18:03 HorrorScope

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 13:52:
Bragging about how your site has not been breached in 15 years is a sure way to reset the "Our site has not been breached in 00 days." counter.

LOL

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches
51. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Launches Mar 21, 2017, 17:44 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Mar 21, 2017, 13:06:
That's SO much work, though. I mean, every single conversation takes an animator like 4-5 hours to get it right. So if they have to do that for (guessing here) 5000+ conversations, there's no way EA is going to sign off on that.

(Before anyone says, yes, they SHOULD have done this to begin with. I agree that the animations are, by and large, pretty freaking awful.)

I have to admit I laughed quite loudly on the inside when this was first getting reported and then a report came out "The Devs said there won't be a zero day patch to fix this". LOL at whoever asked and thought that was a possibility. (Not that it can't be done, but a zero day patch within a week, laughed hard.)

I'll see this game a few patches in, in the $20-$30 range, doing Mad Max currently, plenty of fun and crazy situations to be in, in that game. Good animations to. lol

57. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 16:05 HorrorScope

loomy wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 15:34:
I honestly think we should expect star citizen to be like this. Fucked up but playable. Not everything can be a home run

My lowered expectations are set at it doesn't ship in a fair final form. So yours to me is a lofty goal!

45. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Reviews Mar 20, 2017, 14:46 HorrorScope

Agent-Zero wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 14:23:
Fion wrote on Mar 20, 2017, 14:14:
So all the hate, all the rage, all the bashing by people who haven't even played it is pointless. It's the 'in thing to do' and so people do it, including on here.

frankly you come across just as dismissive as you claim the "haters" are..

so i guess that makes you a "fanboy"

all the rage.. LOL, calm down buddy - get a grip

It's raging, it's showing up in places normally not that known for gaming reviews. I'm just lucky I don't live in a world that one game is critical to my gaming happiness, that said, I'll like it when I get to it, there stuff is usually pretty good fun. Story? Probably be on the better end of pc gaming than not, I still have HBO and the like for a real story.

Sounds like the series will have a new director for the next one how this one is starting out.

This comment was edited on Mar 20, 2017, 16:03.

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed Mar 19, 2017, 18:41 HorrorScope

It's another flavor of games, I love open world and many games do well with it and many screw it up. I like to think as we progress forward overall the quality will continue to improve. I also love other types of games as well, even linear. A well done game can happen imo in any sub genre. I agree with the thought that freedom of being able to go and do things in the order you want (generally speaking) is a quality a human mind will like. It's tinkering and freedom.  

News Comments > MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs?
49. Re: MS Forcing Win10 on Latest CPUs? Mar 18, 2017, 14:02 HorrorScope

Creston wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 13:50:
It seems like blatant abuse of dominant market power to me. This is far more egregious than their IE bullshit of the late 90s.

It's amazing on how far away we've veered from monopolies and like practices. No one even thinks in their heart that moves like this would even be challenged anymore. The only thing MS did wrong in the 90's with IE, was to wait until 2000 to do it.

Yeah I'm not all peaches and cream, nor am I sky falling, it simply will be a feel thing for me on how it goes, but with the caveat of what hits me, not others, I can't control what they do. Articles will build up the issue and simple adjustments get you out of many of those issues, but like politics many will go "SEE! SEE! HERE!". I will have to say, I've made a fair living though supporting pc's hw/sw wise that run windows. So outside of gaming and my hobbies, windows good or bad, ms good or bad, they've made something that paid the bills well for me, for a long time now.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Mar 18, 2017, 13:19 HorrorScope

NKD wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 03:13:
These SSDs are getting so crazy fast. They are way past the point where gamers see any improvement from more speed (load times etc, are now primarily limited by the actual CPU workload performed on the assets), but for more demanding workloads its just fantastic.

With the 9xx series of Samsung SSD's we have specs that are quite a bit higher and you are correct, so so game improvement, very good other improvement. But it seems we need crazy crazy fast for us to get the next big bump for games and maybe this will do it.

Typical SSD's now are not approaching 1 second game starts and level loads using something, say the Witcher. The 9xx series helps a little bit, but I do wonder what these #'s stated here bring in this case.

I'd be all up for near instantaneous starts and level loads vs something that is just a lot better than a standard HD, that many of us have today in their SSD's.

News Comments > NieR:Automata Released
18. Re: NieR:Automata Released Mar 18, 2017, 13:09 HorrorScope

heroin wrote on Mar 18, 2017, 03:06:
not really sure if this game is worth that price but seeing as how there haven't been many good games in like a fucking year and I don't expect ME:A to be any good... gave this one a shot.

Yep we all are different, there are so many good games to me that I don't have the time to even get to them. I do agree with the $60, it's been a while since I dropped that on a game, at least we have great competition going on here vs hardware.

3. Re: Morning Metaverse Mar 17, 2017, 19:04 HorrorScope

Nimh wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 14:47:
It's time to turn on https.. hosted on a site without https no less.

LOL!

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Mar 17, 2017, 19:01 HorrorScope

Yosemite Sam wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 14:37:
The moron king and his minions of idiots. If it wasn't actually happening it would be the funniest shit on tv.

It's still the funniest shit on TV.

News Comments > Dungeons & Dragons Online Adds New Class
3. Re: Dungeons & Dragons Online Adds New Class Mar 17, 2017, 13:40 HorrorScope

Jagacademy wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 12:49:
carnom wrote on Mar 17, 2017, 10:19:
Scandal!

Dragonborn are a race, not a class.

The scandal is the fact that Dragonborn, and everything else added at that time, was introduced at all. Completely destroyed Forgotten Realms as a setting, and it's never recovered.

My psychiatrist keeps telling me it is just a game... still hasn't worked, recovery continues.

Still good news for those still playing, really enjoyed it, but too me to steep of a time cost trying to get back in.

News Comments > Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access
5. Re: Mass Effect: Andromeda Early Access Mar 16, 2017, 11:39 HorrorScope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3lGKMXYOG8  

6825 Comments. 342 pages. Viewing page 9.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo