Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6187 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
15. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Aug 1, 2016, 18:00 HorrorScope

descender wrote on Aug 1, 2016, 01:45:
The magnetic strips contain the static payment info of your card and can be stolen with skimmers. This can't be done with the chip cards.

It has nothing to do with online transactions.

Right and why look at a new standard without taking online transactions into account? I guess one angle it they aren't looking at me being robbed of my card and it being used (which has happened to me once) and are looking at someone getting my card numbers in some manner and making a duplicate card and using that (which that hasn't happened to me at this time).

With a 4 digit pin that isn't part of the card, it is a 1 in 10000 chance for someone guessing it right, I suspect you have a few chances before the card locks up.

But if all cards had that, it is a way that works for all possibilities, less a company storing my Pin # entered and that being linked back to the correct card. But a common thief, he has my card but only half of what they need, he won't even try to use it. My Debit card has never been breached and the pin is the #1 reason.

To me it is a no-brainer and without that trivial step, to me it proves they aren't all the serious about stopping fraud around these cards. There has to be some type of write off they get reporting losses like this.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sunday Safety Dance
9. Re: Sunday Safety Dance Aug 1, 2016, 00:19 HorrorScope

jimnms wrote on Jul 31, 2016, 16:33:
I recently got chipped debit cards. It hasn't been a disaster for me, it just requires getting used to a different way of doing things. It does take longer than the swipe method. Before the chip, during checkout you could swipe your card at any time, put it away and when the cashier was done, enter your PIN, confirm the total, get receipt and go. The chipped card require you to leave the card in during the whole transaction, so you have to wait for the cashier to finish, put the card in, enter your PIN and wait for it to finish before removing the card. The first few times I used it, I kept removing the card out of habit after entering the PIN.

Yep. I don't get how this is more secure though.

1. Online purchses don't use it.
2. A thief can use the card still, they'll stick it in and take the goods.

I have no idea how this is more protection.

The 4 digit pin was a system if you wanted something much more secure. Something that isn't visibility or physically part of the card. Oh and the reasons why were weak sauce, "people will forget", as said our debit cards already have it, but weaker yet "we got to keep track of it for each card!!!", they never bitch keeping tons of other information on you and then say it will costs billions to do so as companies all over the place give out free cloud storage. Nothing adds up there almost like there is organized fraud from the actual credit card players.

News Comments > Saturday Tech Bits
29. Re: Saturday Tech Bits Jul 31, 2016, 13:29 HorrorScope

shiho wrote on Jul 30, 2016, 21:06:
I would be a lot more likely to be kind to, or interested in, Windows 10, if it offered a single new feature of use or significance. I've perused many a site, looking for just ONE THING that could make it worth it. Just ONE.

DX12/new hardware support doesn't count - it's typical forced obsolescence by Microsoft.

Unsure why it doesn't count, but oh well, I don't really care what o/s y'als use, it's not like I'm an O/S salesman.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 29, 2016, 21:10 HorrorScope

ForgedReality wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 20:45:
We were forced into Windows 10 laptops at work because the Win 7 licenses weren't being renewed. I fucking hate 10. It's been nothing but problems for a lot of people. I disabled Cortana on mine, and I lost the ability to search from the start menu. WTF? Why the fuck is it tied into that? Now instead of just hitting windows key and starting to type "printers" or something, I have to click the control panel link and find it from there. It's an extra step but worth it to not have that stupid shit bugging me constantly.

Anytime someone states things like this... you can bet there is a follow up with a person stating the hotkey for said functionality. Window Key + S.

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
199. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 29, 2016, 13:08 HorrorScope

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 12:23:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 11:59:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 11:51:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 11:07:
Of course 10 breaks sleep so I will have to put the 7 image back on the laptop but that's another issue.

What is broken going into sleep? Coming out of sleep on its own randomly? Not recovering from sleep when you try to wake it up?

There are a lot of possible sleep issues in general with each O/S. It is something I always put focus on because ideally I would like the system to go into sleep after 1 hour of no action by me and quickly come out of sleep when I want to use the system again, 1 second boot times FTW.

I have been playing with Win10 and sleep on my systems the last couple of days getting it all working. The issue I was having with the systems was NOT "going into sleep on non-action". There is a command you can run that will show you any process that stops the system from going into sleep automatically. USB headsets are one for example, you can run a command to tell Sleep to ignore any of these services running that impede auto-sleep.
It locks up on wake-up. I spent a week with microsoft forum techs when 10 first came out. My time is too valuable to waste troubleshooting the issue any longer. But thanks.

But i am a sucker for punishment. Off the top of your head, Do you know what commands you used or should i just google it.

To me this is part of the pc experience, you have the ability to really dig in to make things better or fix things. Sleep can have a lot of possibilities, here's one of the more unique things to review:

http://www.jasonhartman.net/2012/06/windows-7-wont-go-to-sleep-mode-audio.html

196. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 29, 2016, 11:51 HorrorScope

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 11:07:
Of course 10 breaks sleep so I will have to put the 7 image back on the laptop but that's another issue.

What is broken going into sleep? Coming out of sleep on its own randomly? Not recovering from sleep when you try to wake it up?

There are a lot of possible sleep issues in general with each O/S. It is something I always put focus on because ideally I would like the system to go into sleep after 1 hour of no action by me and quickly come out of sleep when I want to use the system again, 1 second boot times FTW.

I have been playing with Win10 and sleep on my systems the last couple of days getting it all working. The issue I was having with the systems was NOT "going into sleep on non-action". There is a command you can run that will show you any process that stops the system from going into sleep automatically. USB headsets are one for example, you can run a command to tell Sleep to ignore any of these services running that impede auto-sleep.

194. Re: My start menu is not as ugly as yours Jul 29, 2016, 10:56 HorrorScope

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 09:42:
Beamer wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 09:04:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 08:29:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 00:31:
My Win10 desktop after a couple days work so far:

https://postimg.org/image/eu4hdsddj/

Clean.
Except for that ugly ass excuse for a start menu that takes up 28% of the screen.

But it's only open when you click to open it, and you only click to open it when you need it, and if it's getting him to what he wants faster...
It's like doing the nasty on top of a fat ugly beast, you want it over with as fast as possible.
My beautiful thin Windows 7 start menu get's me there just as fast, but I don't have to be ashamed when my friends find out.

Well I've just moved from 7 all these years which I loved, but the entirety of Win10's Start menu is nothing but a large improvement over 7. From a better managed Apps list, to right clicking Start giving you many more immediate handy options, to setting up the tiles like a on-demand desktop, there is really nothing imo not as good or better with Win10's Start vs Win 7.

193. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 29, 2016, 10:48 HorrorScope

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 08:29:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 29, 2016, 00:31:

Clean.
Except for that ugly ass excuse for a start menu that takes up 28% of the screen.

That's a sour statement since it is only there when you need it and all of it is gone when you don't. I can't find a fault with a Desktop working that way vs always there and static if I'm using it or not.

I've referenced heavy desktop icon users as the virtual equivalent of messy bedrooms. Tidy is tidy.

Yes in the case others don't know, you can adjust the start screen to any size you want and get rid of the tile side entirely if you don't like it.

188. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 29, 2016, 00:31 HorrorScope

Clean.

This comment was edited on Jul 29, 2016, 00:45.

News Comments > Out of the Blue
15. Re: Out of the Blue Jul 28, 2016, 19:30 HorrorScope

nin wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 09:33:
McDonald’s-themed Black Sabbath cover band Mac Sabbath announce Clown Power tour.

Not the Onion...

"One of the best McDonald's-centric Black Sabbath cover bands is hitting the road "

You mean there are more?

183. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 28, 2016, 19:04 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on Jul 28, 2016, 18:06:
I always find the amount of people that use the Start menu baffling. I use it exclusively for the Snip Tool (the single best thing Microsoft ever invented. Or "invented.")

Games? Launched either from a desktop icon, of which I have about 8, or from Steam. Steam mostly destroyed my need for a Start menu.

But what is cool about the tile start menu is you can customize it and have it act like a hiding desktop so you can have all the same functionality there, but when not being used you have a marvelous unobstructed background picture. Suppa clean.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 27, 2016, 18:00 HorrorScope

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 13:00:
Post about the LastPass zero-day, which was disclosed to the makers and already fixed:

https://labs.detectify.com/2016/07/27/how-i-made-lastpass-give-me-all-your-passwords/

You have one job, store secure passwords for your customers. If they can't do it... nobody can. If there is an issue, imo they should take themselves offline, this is their business to secure your various credentials. It has to work. Offline is 1000x better than someone getting the jewels.

News Comments > NBA2K17 to Include Dream Team
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 27, 2016, 17:02 HorrorScope

LiTh wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 13:46:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 12:52:
Or better known as NBA2KWarriors.

Please, any body that has followed basketball as a sport for more then 2 years knows that any team that lives by the three dies by the three.

Injuries during a normal season means the warriors wont win next year, i'm surprised they even made the finals last year quite frankly.

Still the stats were all in their favor and the game goes by stats and then throw in KD and the 2016 USA team which is loaded with Warriors.

As for why they will or won't win, that wasn't my point.

167. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 27, 2016, 13:13 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 11:02:
Y'all lack imagination very sorely. MS could easily announce a date by which all new "apps" will have to be UWP or GTFO. At the same time they could introduce a legacy mode for Win32 programs, i.e. a sandbox like DOSBox running legacy Win32 programs inside Windows 10.

That's the very short version. If you use your imagination, there are many ways that they could pull this off and ensure that from a certain date on everything NEW has to go through them like iTunes/Apple store.

They would announce something like this pretty far in advance and provide a UWP suite (like .NET) for devs to get used to the Microshit NWO.

Shrugging this off like "haha they're not gonna do this" is very short-sighted (friendly version) or outright retarded (honest version).

Perhaps it isn't a shrug off, but as you mention it will be announced and there will be time. Until then it is just something else for us to weigh ourselves down on. I told you so's don't matter. Nothing does until and if that announcement were to ever happen. I'm not going elsewhere because someone thinks it could happen, so what is th point really?

166. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 27, 2016, 13:03 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 10:12:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 09:52:
arstechnica wraps sweeney in tinfoil

From a skim, I think it's accurate.

People keep pointing out Microsoft breaking specific apps to gain market share on certain products. This doesn't feel wholly applicable here, though, for a few reasons:

1) Those apps weren't major parts of the Windows ecosystem. Win32 literally is the Windows ecosystem. Microsoft is well aware that a significance chunk of their users, not to mention virtually all enterprise clients, are using legacy Win32 programs unlikely to get remade anytime soon. In fact, this is why an also significant chunk of users haven't moved to Mac.

2) Microsoft got sued when they did this in the past. Multiple times. And lost

Beyond this, the risk of such a move is enormous. Cutting off Win32 can fail miserably. If their consumer base revolts and moves elsewhere, they've lost everything. For a company still doing well, it makes no sense to literally risk everything. When they did this to promote IE, it didn't risk everything. Here, yes, risks everything.

But if Windows Store is actually a good service, and has good apps, and UWP is a good solution, consumers will adopt it. It becomes a waiting game of offering something useful. Right now, consumers don't have an easy way to buy non-games digitally. Windows Store, if done well, would be the easiest.

Lastly, are games the only software people still buy for PCs? Quick poll - what else has someone here bought? I'd wager Microsoft Office for many (some pirate, some Open Office, some Google Docs, but we all have some form of word processor and spreadsheets), a few have Photoshop or After Effects (though even more probably pirated that), and a few have some 3D modeling. Otherwise?

I can't remember the last time I bought an app for PCs. Or installed one. Web pages have completely replaced installed software. So it isn't even like the pile of money Microsoft could expect is large.

Unless they take games... ha! Completing the circle...

Site needs a +1. This is how if it happens it will and how it can't just happen in the short term. Should we be stuck on Win32 forever, perhaps not. Is UWP better overall perhaps so, perhaps not, but it will have to prove itself and if it does people will move to it, if enough people move to it then Win32 potentially could be retired. But wow that is so far down the road, I see a panzy ass world living in fear of almost anything any more. Don't let the media break you completely down.

One could also sit up worrying that there won't even be such things as local apps and everything is cloud and all you have is an input device and that is it. You take exactly what they give on their terms and nothing more or less. UWP starts to sound better now.

News Comments > NBA2K17 to Include Dream Team
1. Re: NBA2K17 to Include Dream Team Jul 27, 2016, 12:52 HorrorScope

Or better known as NBA2KWarriors.  

119. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 20:52 HorrorScope

noman wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 18:17:
Sweeney's comments don't make sense at all. He presents a doomsday (ok, epic-day) scenario of Microsoft dropping Win32, but that's quite idiotic. Microsoft will not retire Win32 any time soon. And if they do, then that's the end of Windows as a gaming platform anyway.

Looks like UWP rubs Tim Sweeney the wrong way for some reason, and he has to invent these outlandish scenarios (in a typical forum-post sky is falling style) to make his point.

UWP is an option, just like Steamworks is, and Win32 is not going anywhere. Epic is welcome to release games directly on GoG, DRM free.

That's how I'm seeing it at this time. It's a walled garden ok, but you can live outside that garden as well so to me it isn't a threat, it's an option. Perhaps there will be benefits for having both, some are describing I believe less cheating with games inside the garden, that is good for those wanting and needing that. I just don't see how win32 goes away without them announcing it many years in advance and if that day happens.... THEN WE CAN FREAK OUT! Law and order people.

59. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 13:33 HorrorScope

Razumen wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 13:13:
They're not going to just throw it out the window, it'll all be done in small steps. Many that may seem innocuous at the time, but it will all add up eventually to the point where developers will be "incentivized" to developer to UWP and ditch Win32 completely. They've done it before (IE, DX) and they're going to continue doing it.

20 or 30 year plan? Perhaps this is correct, it would take a lot of upfront time. So then I start to ask, ok we have the worst ideas of what UWP can bring us. What are some of the good things it can bring? There has to be something.

I can assure you though my company like many others, won't be moving to that any time soon. It really is a loooooong term plan that MS would have to be very clear at a certain point this is happening and then giving everyone a decade at least.

58. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 13:29 HorrorScope

Wesp5 wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 13:17:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 12:57:
Wesp5 wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 10:25:
If it weren't for GOG and other small sites, Steam on PC would already be pretty much a closed platform...

There's a difference between closed and choice, Steam has always been a choice.

Really? Nowadays even when you buy a retail game most of the time you need to register it on Steam to make it work. The only exceptions are some publishers trying to pull off the same thing like with Origin and GOG without any DRM. No wonder Microsoft wants a piece of the cake!

Yes really, it is not the same. Steam is still a application running on an open PC that anyone has the chance to compete with. Would it be hard? Yes. They've done quite well over at Steam to compete against.

44. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 12:57 HorrorScope

Wesp5 wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 10:25:
If it weren't for GOG and other small sites, Steam on PC would already be pretty much a closed platform...

There's a difference between closed and choice, Steam has always been a choice.

Anyway, yeah if MS makes that move, then it becomes an obvious shitfest and then it actually truly does begin the process to something else. I'd say they wouldn't do it, but they do some of the dumbest shit over there. I'm not going to worry again if it happens another option will appear shortly after.

As for allowing only UWP apps to run, well there goes all my companies software running on 100's of thousands of units moving commerce as well as our competitors. The US gov't honestly would step in because the system would break. MS isn't even that stupid.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2016, 13:30.

6187 Comments. 310 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo