Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 8532 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > On the 2019 PC Content Spending Downturn

33. Re: On the 2019 PC Content Spending Downturn Jan 25, 2020, 12:43 HorrorScope

Sacrifex wrote on Jan 25, 2020, 11:39:
Between the free games on Epic, the"free" games on Twitch Prime, and the odd giveaway, I got over 100 free PC games on the last year, and a lot of them were legitimately good games. Add Game Pass coming to PC, and I didn't need to spend as much.

It's not all on Epic, or Amazon/Twitch, or Microsoft, but if you add them all up, it's pretty obvious why the numbers are down.

All of that, probably some good sites now for just "Free gaming" and not talking FTP krap.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > On the 2019 PC Content Spending Downturn

30. Re: On the 2019 PC Content Spending Downturn Jan 25, 2020, 11:09 HorrorScope

jdreyer wrote on Jan 25, 2020, 02:36:
It's a good point, so I wonder if the amount Epic paid for their 100 or so free game offers in 2019 was factored into the total game sales for that year. It should have been. It's revenue, regardless if it comes from individual customers or from Epic.

"consumer spending on PC content was down". Consumer spending, not industry spending. My take since I don't think this has been published is Epic mainly pays for the freebies based on time played, it is still a good marketing ploy for the maker getting their game into others virtual hands. I've played about 1 hour of one freebie so far and that be that.

Personally it wasn't a big spend year and it hasn't been large in years. Sales, crazy sales, games I have and still revisit and acknowledging backlog and playing from that vs always going new being the factors, I am still playing the same amount. I've recently been looking at new games on sale and internally I'm just thinking how insane this all is, I have a shit ton played and unplayed which is as good as anything new. Then I still have a hard time to choose what's next to play.

Gaming is like the rest of the medias, way more than one can consume and even formulate a good plan on when to consume. Revenue may be down, but there are so many avenues where revenue is coming in, can one measure accurately since a lot isn't public? It isn't necessarily a healthy market from the makers perspective due to competition, but it's a an over abundance of gaming choice for the consumer, if it is unhealthy tit is due to gluttony not famine.

This comment was edited on Jan 25, 2020, 11:41.

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs

1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 23, 2020, 20:45 HorrorScope

Ghostery and uBlock do not like this site.  

News Comments > Dying Light 2 Delayed

4. Re: Dying Light 2 Delayed Jan 20, 2020, 20:02 HorrorScope

bigspender wrote on Jan 20, 2020, 19:51:
Hey Joe, do you want to play another zombie game?

Yeah if it's good.

News Comments > The Last of Us Part II PC Plans?

12. Re: The Last of Us Part II PC Plans? Jan 20, 2020, 16:31 HorrorScope

Hell lets just start the rumor that PS5 is moving to Nvidia because AMD gave better tech to MS's Xbox 3.  

News Comments > Morning Patches

1. Re: Morning Patches Jan 20, 2020, 11:25 HorrorScope

Over sharpened, life doesn't look like that.  

News Comments > Rockstar's UK Tax Relief

2. Re: Rockstar's UK Tax Relief Jan 20, 2020, 11:25 HorrorScope

Seems legit. I bet they got this lead on money from this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Lesko

News Comments > Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience

24. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 19, 2020, 12:40 HorrorScope

roguebanshee wrote on Jan 19, 2020, 11:42:
Overall, the piece reads like Ubisoft had some people with enough seniority to get a promotion but no vacancies to promote those people to. So instead they shuffled things around and created a couple of new positions while publically spinning it as a way to diversify their future games. All done in the hope that this will increase sales of those games.

Very well could be, in the end we'll know.

23. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 19, 2020, 12:38 HorrorScope

Jonjonz wrote on Jan 19, 2020, 07:07:
Ubisoft's enemies seem notoriously brain dead to me like the Serious Sam, Duke Nukem and old school Doom style, with the only surprises coming from clever hiding/ambush set ups and "I don't believe that many just spawned and keep spawning" type scenarios.

I disagree completely here, that is what makes all of their cookie cutter games much better than the rest, they actually do have AI. That is also the #1 thing I can't stand with FPS Unity games (probably could say Indy games), they have no AI beyond zombie, it is all just Serious Sam AI, which is Zombie AI which is bee-line to the player AI for the most part.

Using Division 2 again, it has amazing AI overall and on top of just their tactics, there is a shit ton of verbal discussion going on that is really well done and many games have next to none of this.

However when I say Div 2 is worse than Div 1, it is the same engine I'm sure but they purposely dialed it back, so something in market research has told them that. The one that really sticks out is AI fire reaction time. Say I get flanked an baddy shows up right next to me and then I need to reload. There have been too many times where they just stand there like they've froze and I should be dead to rights, I get reloaded and then kill them, things like that, that is what is slightly off here, not general AI tactics those are good. My guess is that this has something to do with gamepad reaction time. Another thing is when you shoot and hit baddies their bodies react realistically flailing around reacting to the force of the hit, cool. You like bosses though just take the hits, no disruption at all, probably is more fun to play that way, but shows another advantage the players have over the AI. One Advantage they probably have though is in rainy/foggy weather, no doubt the player is affected, chances are the AI doesn't equate that in, could be wrong.

I haven't done heroic yet, each difficulty level it seems they just throw more at you, higher ranking mobs and that they can take more and deal more damage, nothing to their brains. Reading the post about Sniper Elite makes me want to give that a try now.

But all their other games FC5, Wildlands, Odyssey, MadMax their overall AI and mechanics are as good as I see in games vs PVE. Another thing we don't see in Unity type games is intricate melee combats and the like, I call it Batman mechanics as to me that was my first introduction into really well orchestrated combat mechanics. I don't know but I find these games really fun to play and I do think of the programming involved with that and AI and how I wouldn't even know where to start... aka why Unity AI is the way it is, if there isn't a module you can buy for it, you get what they have because avg joes aren't programming this into their games. To me this is the power of corporate programming, they all should have amazing tools that an indy can't compete with.

I do like looter shooters, to me it is basically Diablo in a FPS pov and that alone makes it so much more immersive and the Div's do it well, but still plenty of room for improvement.

11. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 18, 2020, 20:35 HorrorScope

I do like their games quite a bit, but even so they do need to make them feel different and just add something more. This is a good move.

I like both Divisions, but the second the Tiers from 1 to 5 was so fast what is even the point? I do like the live map but there should have been some well designed meta game there that added strategy that matters. Also overall it is too easy and I do feel the AI was a bit of a step backwards from 1, that said it has some of the best AI in the biz, they just dumbed them down because they felt the audience is dumb, imo. Loot goes so fast there is like no point to even bother with it all that much until you hit top gear score, there has to be something better.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

5. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 17, 2020, 18:00 HorrorScope

WaltC wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 16:18:
Yep, no problems with the Win10 update--poor fellow--wonder if he waits for Microsoft to release updates and then writes one of these "informative" articles...;)

Every fucking time, you can just right an article on any update and say "some have had issues with this" and be correct. That happens with millions of users.... every time.

News Comments > NVIDIA Hotfix Driver

3. Re: NVIDIA Hotfix Driver Jan 17, 2020, 17:25 HorrorScope

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 12:37:
I find it actually pretty amazing that a SPECIFIC cutscene (not any random one, only 1 specific one) can crash the video driver (and thus the game) that must have been a pain in the ass to find and fix. The game has a few thousand cutscenes after all.

And on top of that, acknowledging it and fixing it.

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed

12. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delayed Jan 16, 2020, 22:40 HorrorScope

Poland is getting nervous.  

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance

3. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jan 16, 2020, 18:40 HorrorScope

Sit down Johnny I have something to tell you.

Would you believe it, but we found another critical windows vulnerability!

Yes, yes I would believe it, but only one?

It's early Thursday Jimmy, we still have time.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance

4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 15, 2020, 01:12 HorrorScope

LOL someone found a flaw in MS software/os.... get in line. Each month for the past 10 years plus and into as far as we see, holes will be plugged monthly.  

News Comments > Evening Consolidation

1. Re: Evening Consolidation Jan 14, 2020, 19:58 HorrorScope

I wonder if the xbox is outclassing playstation this round?  

News Comments > Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

87. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 14, 2020, 19:55 HorrorScope

RedEye9 wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 19:24:
Drayth wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 19:09:
RedEye9 wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 18:59:
That was never their plan.
All they want is a tiny piece of the pie and by the looks of it theyíve been very successful.
Do you work for them?
No, I donít work for them.
Drayth wrote:
How would you know this?
An educated guess.

My educated guess is Tencent aims higher. This is all a power play in the long run, not without risk.

News Comments > Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

63. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 14, 2020, 16:13 HorrorScope

Bubicus wrote on Jan 14, 2020, 12:28:
Interesting math:
Borderlands 3 had, as of last September, sold 3.3 million PC units
At $60/unit, that is $198 million of revenue.
Epic says $250 million of revenue is from 3rd-party games.
That implies Borderlands 3 is responsible for 79% of all 3rd-party sales.
That also implies all other 3rd-party game sales combined are only $52 million.
That is... pretty bad, given the number of Epic exclusives.

Correction to what you post:

" Borderlands 3 sold 3.3 digital units throughout September, though we donít know how that breaks down across consoles and PC."

News Comments > Morning Consolidation

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2020, 17:49 HorrorScope

jacobvandy wrote on Jan 13, 2020, 16:39:
The article is about how Sony is reported to be making new games for the PS5 that will ONLY work on a PS5, which is a contrast to what Microsoft has already stated they are doing. Which is that their new games will continue to be compatible with current Xbox One hardware.

I think it's pretty lame for MS to be doing that, basically treating their new console like another mid-generational refresh for the foreseeable future. An Xbox One X X, if you will. That means they aren't fully committing to the new hardware and what it would enable them to do, because they still have to allow for the games to downscale to hardware that is almost a decade old. That means their SSD truly will only bring faster loading screens, since they have to continue supporting mechanical drives.

It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 13, 2020, 17:48 HorrorScope

El Pit wrote on Jan 13, 2020, 13:08:
So PS5 is like Epic? Or is it alright with the PS5 because... well... because Sony are the good guys who could get away with murder?

IMO fuck sony to, I have no console love in me.

8532 Comments. 427 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >