Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
San Diego, CA 08/21

Regularly scheduled events

User information for HorrorScope

Real Name HorrorScope   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname HorrorScope
Email Concealed by request
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 28, 2003, 23:35
Total Comments 6036 (Guru)
User ID 17232

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
10. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 27, 2016, 18:00 HorrorScope

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 13:00:
Post about the LastPass zero-day, which was disclosed to the makers and already fixed:

https://labs.detectify.com/2016/07/27/how-i-made-lastpass-give-me-all-your-passwords/

You have one job, store secure passwords for your customers. If they can't do it... nobody can. If there is an issue, imo they should take themselves offline, this is their business to secure your various credentials. It has to work. Offline is 1000x better than someone getting the jewels.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > NBA2K17 to Include Dream Team
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jul 27, 2016, 17:02 HorrorScope

LiTh wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 13:46:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 12:52:
Or better known as NBA2KWarriors.

Please, any body that has followed basketball as a sport for more then 2 years knows that any team that lives by the three dies by the three.

Injuries during a normal season means the warriors wont win next year, i'm surprised they even made the finals last year quite frankly.

Still the stats were all in their favor and the game goes by stats and then throw in KD and the 2016 USA team which is loaded with Warriors.

As for why they will or won't win, that wasn't my point.

News Comments > More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney
167. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 27, 2016, 13:13 HorrorScope

CJ_Parker wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 11:02:
Y'all lack imagination very sorely. MS could easily announce a date by which all new "apps" will have to be UWP or GTFO. At the same time they could introduce a legacy mode for Win32 programs, i.e. a sandbox like DOSBox running legacy Win32 programs inside Windows 10.

That's the very short version. If you use your imagination, there are many ways that they could pull this off and ensure that from a certain date on everything NEW has to go through them like iTunes/Apple store.

They would announce something like this pretty far in advance and provide a UWP suite (like .NET) for devs to get used to the Microshit NWO.

Shrugging this off like "haha they're not gonna do this" is very short-sighted (friendly version) or outright retarded (honest version).

Perhaps it isn't a shrug off, but as you mention it will be announced and there will be time. Until then it is just something else for us to weigh ourselves down on. I told you so's don't matter. Nothing does until and if that announcement were to ever happen. I'm not going elsewhere because someone thinks it could happen, so what is th point really?

166. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 27, 2016, 13:03 HorrorScope

Beamer wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 10:12:
RedEye9 wrote on Jul 27, 2016, 09:52:
arstechnica wraps sweeney in tinfoil

From a skim, I think it's accurate.

People keep pointing out Microsoft breaking specific apps to gain market share on certain products. This doesn't feel wholly applicable here, though, for a few reasons:

1) Those apps weren't major parts of the Windows ecosystem. Win32 literally is the Windows ecosystem. Microsoft is well aware that a significance chunk of their users, not to mention virtually all enterprise clients, are using legacy Win32 programs unlikely to get remade anytime soon. In fact, this is why an also significant chunk of users haven't moved to Mac.

2) Microsoft got sued when they did this in the past. Multiple times. And lost

Beyond this, the risk of such a move is enormous. Cutting off Win32 can fail miserably. If their consumer base revolts and moves elsewhere, they've lost everything. For a company still doing well, it makes no sense to literally risk everything. When they did this to promote IE, it didn't risk everything. Here, yes, risks everything.

But if Windows Store is actually a good service, and has good apps, and UWP is a good solution, consumers will adopt it. It becomes a waiting game of offering something useful. Right now, consumers don't have an easy way to buy non-games digitally. Windows Store, if done well, would be the easiest.

Lastly, are games the only software people still buy for PCs? Quick poll - what else has someone here bought? I'd wager Microsoft Office for many (some pirate, some Open Office, some Google Docs, but we all have some form of word processor and spreadsheets), a few have Photoshop or After Effects (though even more probably pirated that), and a few have some 3D modeling. Otherwise?

I can't remember the last time I bought an app for PCs. Or installed one. Web pages have completely replaced installed software. So it isn't even like the pile of money Microsoft could expect is large.

Unless they take games... ha! Completing the circle...

Site needs a +1. This is how if it happens it will and how it can't just happen in the short term. Should we be stuck on Win32 forever, perhaps not. Is UWP better overall perhaps so, perhaps not, but it will have to prove itself and if it does people will move to it, if enough people move to it then Win32 potentially could be retired. But wow that is so far down the road, I see a panzy ass world living in fear of almost anything any more. Don't let the media break you completely down.

One could also sit up worrying that there won't even be such things as local apps and everything is cloud and all you have is an input device and that is it. You take exactly what they give on their terms and nothing more or less. UWP starts to sound better now.

News Comments > NBA2K17 to Include Dream Team
1. Re: NBA2K17 to Include Dream Team Jul 27, 2016, 12:52 HorrorScope

Or better known as NBA2KWarriors.  

119. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 20:52 HorrorScope

noman wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 18:17:
Sweeney's comments don't make sense at all. He presents a doomsday (ok, epic-day) scenario of Microsoft dropping Win32, but that's quite idiotic. Microsoft will not retire Win32 any time soon. And if they do, then that's the end of Windows as a gaming platform anyway.

Looks like UWP rubs Tim Sweeney the wrong way for some reason, and he has to invent these outlandish scenarios (in a typical forum-post sky is falling style) to make his point.

UWP is an option, just like Steamworks is, and Win32 is not going anywhere. Epic is welcome to release games directly on GoG, DRM free.

That's how I'm seeing it at this time. It's a walled garden ok, but you can live outside that garden as well so to me it isn't a threat, it's an option. Perhaps there will be benefits for having both, some are describing I believe less cheating with games inside the garden, that is good for those wanting and needing that. I just don't see how win32 goes away without them announcing it many years in advance and if that day happens.... THEN WE CAN FREAK OUT! Law and order people.

59. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 13:33 HorrorScope

Razumen wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 13:13:
They're not going to just throw it out the window, it'll all be done in small steps. Many that may seem innocuous at the time, but it will all add up eventually to the point where developers will be "incentivized" to developer to UWP and ditch Win32 completely. They've done it before (IE, DX) and they're going to continue doing it.

20 or 30 year plan? Perhaps this is correct, it would take a lot of upfront time. So then I start to ask, ok we have the worst ideas of what UWP can bring us. What are some of the good things it can bring? There has to be something.

I can assure you though my company like many others, won't be moving to that any time soon. It really is a loooooong term plan that MS would have to be very clear at a certain point this is happening and then giving everyone a decade at least.

58. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 13:29 HorrorScope

Wesp5 wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 13:17:
HorrorScope wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 12:57:
Wesp5 wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 10:25:
If it weren't for GOG and other small sites, Steam on PC would already be pretty much a closed platform...

There's a difference between closed and choice, Steam has always been a choice.

Really? Nowadays even when you buy a retail game most of the time you need to register it on Steam to make it work. The only exceptions are some publishers trying to pull off the same thing like with Origin and GOG without any DRM. No wonder Microsoft wants a piece of the cake!

Yes really, it is not the same. Steam is still a application running on an open PC that anyone has the chance to compete with. Would it be hard? Yes. They've done quite well over at Steam to compete against.

44. Re: More Win10 Concerns from Tim Sweeney Jul 26, 2016, 12:57 HorrorScope

Wesp5 wrote on Jul 26, 2016, 10:25:
If it weren't for GOG and other small sites, Steam on PC would already be pretty much a closed platform...

There's a difference between closed and choice, Steam has always been a choice.

Anyway, yeah if MS makes that move, then it becomes an obvious shitfest and then it actually truly does begin the process to something else. I'd say they wouldn't do it, but they do some of the dumbest shit over there. I'm not going to worry again if it happens another option will appear shortly after.

As for allowing only UWP apps to run, well there goes all my companies software running on 100's of thousands of units moving commerce as well as our competitors. The US gov't honestly would step in because the system would break. MS isn't even that stupid.

This comment was edited on Jul 26, 2016, 13:30.

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2016, 16:11 HorrorScope

I get the point, but it's not like Nvidia is only about pure muscle and nothing else, it is more efficient as well vs the other brand. Yes they don't have a couple emerging techs in the current line. But the overall performance is still second to none and when they put the emerging tech into their boards as well, great. Is Pascal the be all end all? No. But in tech it never is, there is always something else out there.  

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
5. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jul 25, 2016, 11:21 HorrorScope

RedEye9 wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 11:07:
El Pit wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 10:58:
Timmeh wrote on Jul 25, 2016, 10:39:
no just get a Radeon 480X.

A Radeon RX480 is not of interest to potential buyers of the 1070 or 1080. People interested in buying a 1060 might take a look at the RX480, though.

It's like comparing apples and cinder-blocks. Those that upgraded this cycle will pass when Volta rolls around.

First if one is thinking of a Titan X, they are in another league, they should buy it now and then next year to. They got the dough, why not?

In general though correct one would generally skip the next, however it does come down to what kind of boost are we talking. Typically a 25% boost is what we probably should expect, yep skip. But this last time was over 75%, if they did anything close to that again, I'd get a card that gen to. I'm wanting a card that can kill 1440P at 144 and not be over $450, others want 4k at 60+ for everything. If that next card could do it, there is reason to upgrade faster than one normally would I feel.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 23, 2016, 13:47 HorrorScope

Tachikoma wrote on Jul 23, 2016, 05:03:
Aero wrote on Jul 23, 2016, 00:21:
I've been running a 4.7GHz 2600K for what seems like forever now and at least as far as gaming goes, even with money burning a hole in my pocket, there's nothing to replace it with that would be remotely worth it.

So am I, only at 4Ghz. This industry was always centered around hype and proportion of price vs gain skewed as hell.

It`s the same with the GPUs. Even if I was buying a new (new-used of course) card now, I`d still go for 780Ti instead of 1060. The gains seem to be minimal, meanwhile price is substantially lower.

Anyway, since G-Sync appeared on the scene it should be an ultimate priority for anybody upgrading in the first place.

Well I don't think one is buying 780ti's new and if one could find one new it won't be cheaper than a 1060. As for used, you will be able to find one around $175-$225 now, but I'd rather have a new 480 or 1060 vs used.

We just paid actual retail and no more on a 1060 if you could believe that, it was on back order, but was shipped out only 2 days later, no big.

But looking at the numbers a 780ti and 1060 will be close, but I'd probably give the edge to the 1060, plus you have a new card, newer tech and what comes with that. I don't know why I would go 780ti over a 1060, unless I already had a 780ti and one was wanting to sli it.

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2016, 13:58.

News Comments > New NVIDIA TITAN X Announced
33. Re: New NVIDIA TITAN X Announced Jul 23, 2016, 00:49 HorrorScope

Qbex . wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 20:13:
This card is just a pure cash grab from nvidia and not a proper "titan" ie - bridging card with strong fp64 for computation like predecessors. Its clearly top dog gaming card for rich folks. Sadly this is what lack of competition does for top end. Until we get some amd card in that segment this will continue - inflated prices of 1080s and stock shortages to create more demand. Forget "non Founder" prices just like I predicted on launch (not a single 599$ card sold since the launch) Yet pr outfits - ie tech press almost creamed themselves over 1080s 599$ value. Getting shafted on cpus from intel now same thing on gfx side. Depressing.

This makes sense if this generation has standard gains of say 25% over the previous. But we are around a 75%+ gain, so there is no shame at all in any of these cards. I'm cool seeing what a Titan can do, but I'll never own one, no big. Smart biz getting rich mans money.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Jul 23, 2016, 00:46 HorrorScope

Yeah your 2600k and 4.7 is still keepin on.

Son moved from 660 to 1060@1080P, kaboom. His numbers are crazy what's he's getting now. I know people bench on ultra, but you can bring some settings down just a bit and gain a very healthy number of frames back. In general AAA games he's now looking at 100+ frames pretty much all the time. A 2x gain was very common to see, 3x was happening as well, Doom was one of those.

EDIT: My son runs a stock i5 4570 at 3.2GHz

This comment was edited on Jul 23, 2016, 03:03.

News Comments > New NVIDIA TITAN X Announced
23. Re: New NVIDIA TITAN X Announced Jul 22, 2016, 15:25 HorrorScope

AmericanWulf wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 11:59:
MacLeod wrote on Jul 22, 2016, 11:42:
Can someone actually explain the Titan to me? I don't get it.

According to videocardbenchmark, the TitanX has a lower G3D Mark score than the 980ti, but is over 3x the cost.

the titan series of cards are geared more for the content creators, the graphic artist, or the power needed for graphical rendering. It is really not marketed nor designed as the ultimate gaming/gamer card, never has been.

Right here right now it is being marketed as the Ultimate with no boundaries attached.

Yes this isn't a bargain card, it's a BMW... my Corolla can hit the speed limit, keep me cool and do well at the pump. But some just want more even if it doesn't make price/performance sense, news at 11.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
11. Re: Morning Safety Dance Jul 21, 2016, 20:03 HorrorScope

Timmeh wrote on Jul 21, 2016, 17:31:
Women's "rights" should not include deciding on who gets to be born into the world or not. they did not create that life by themselves.

Giving women the unmitigated power of life or death on every human that comes into the world is completely asinine. PERIOD. Not one of the main arguments for abortion hold up. For instance .... Its her body... No Its your body AND the baby's body. Furthermore its also her body that has to feed, clean and take care of the child after its physical umbilical chord is cut. There is still a very real yet invisible umbilical chord that extends from the mother to the child for years to come.

Also.. Look into who pays women better and offers better care in the real world. Even Hillary underpays women that work for her.

The problem with liberals is they have been completely brainwashed and duped into worshiping the very people that are holding them down, lying to them and ruining their lives.

This is stupid shit from start to finish. From a woman's body isn't a woman's to labeling a whole ideology as being a certain way. Hell I'm solely liberal based on "People are different, always have, always will. I look at it as natural fact. One party is inclusive to this while another is exclusive.". That's it, I believe so strongly in that that it slants me liberal. A lot of the man made issues on both ends are BS, that said I believe in fiscal responsibility, I believe in working, I do believe others are less fortunate though as well and a humane side should exist within us. But mainly I believe in people are different and excluding those that are different is as wrong as it gets.

I don't like Hillary or Trump and there is a no presidential vote for me this time around. However whoever wins, I'm for them succeeding, we can't afford to stay prideful and divided.

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
39. Re: Morning Metaverse Jul 20, 2016, 19:09 HorrorScope

Oh more online drama queens, ignore.  

News Comments > Hardware Reviews
16. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 19, 2016, 20:09 HorrorScope

Doing some generational comparison. 560 is the baseline and each version after is in comparison to the last percentage wise. The number at the end I'm starting with a game running 30 FPS on the 560 and adding the % from there to get a FPS picture:

560 --------- 30
660 +40% 42
760 +15% 48
960 +20% 57
1060 +80% 102
---------------
1070 +35% 137 (over the 1060)

So this is the '60 you've been waiting for if you are in the mid-range market. If I were to do it for AMD on the 80 series, most likely similar. Trying to say... 2016 was an exceptional video card year.

This comment was edited on Jul 19, 2016, 20:18.

12. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 19, 2016, 16:50 HorrorScope

Dentorro wrote on Jul 19, 2016, 16:17:
More graphics cards that will be nowhere to be found.

There were available to around 9am PST. Good news you can still buy as back order and get it soonish, the cheap 1070's don't even have that option.

9. Re: Hardware Reviews Jul 19, 2016, 15:38 HorrorScope

Here's a nice little chart to compare:

http://tinyurl.com/jtohzrd

6036 Comments. 302 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo