Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Chicago, IL 11/17

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 13512 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Destiny 2 PC Will Trail Consoles; Has No Dedicated Servers
17. Re: Out of the Blue May 19, 2017, 13:28 Prez

Beamer wrote on May 19, 2017, 12:09:
OldDirtyEwok wrote on May 19, 2017, 11:02:
Grumpy Sod wrote on May 19, 2017, 09:58:
Not a shock really. You don't get dedicated servers for Diablo 3, Overwatch or other instanced party MMO type deals either.

Overwatch has dedicated servers

Does it? I see an announcement from 2015 that it will, but then endless complaints in 2016 and 2017 that it does not.

Yep it does. Blue even posted a news story about Blizzard warning players not to create servers for the sole purpose of using them to level up. People were setting up games where you just login, join a match, and go do something else. When the match timer ends you get XP for doing NOTHING.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer
8. Re: Destiny 2 Gameplay Trailer May 18, 2017, 18:39 Prez

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/news/?d=2017-5#181745

Being a battlenet exclusive means it not coming to Steam I guess? I wondered if that meant that the Blizzard app was going to begin to sell non-Blizzard games, but for now they say no.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
37. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 20:59 Prez

Beamer wrote on May 17, 2017, 20:13:
Prez wrote on May 17, 2017, 18:13:
...Yes, it's bad to have a monopoly, which Steam outright is....

Hmm. Is it though? I mean, with GOG and Origin (and I guess Uplay, but that sucks) there are places where people can buy games on a digital download service without ever touching Steam. Sure, Steam is currently holding a huge percentage of that particular market share, but there ARE alternatives.

Legally, a monopoly is near domination, not being the only option. Steam, by any view, is near domination.

Fair enough, but there are other definitions other than legal, and frankly I have no interest in "legal" definitions on this issue. That's for regulators to bandy about.

From Merriam Webster:

Definition of monopoly
plural monopolies
1: exclusive ownership through legal privilege, command of supply, or concerted action
2: exclusive possession or control
no country has a monopoly on morality or truth — Helen M. Lynd
3: a commodity controlled by one party
had a monopoly on flint from their quarries — Barbara A. Leitch
4: one that has a monopoly The government passed laws intended to break up monopolies.

From Businessdictionary.com:

Definition

Market situation where one producer (or a group of producers acting in concert) controls supply of a good or service, and where the entry of new producers is prevented or highly restricted. Monopolist firms (in their attempt to maximize profits) keep the price high and restrict the output, and show little or no responsiveness to the needs of their customers. Most governments therefore try to control monopolies by (1) imposing price controls, (2) taking over their ownership (called 'nationalization'), or (3) by breaking them up into two or more competing firms. Sometimes governments facilitate the creation of monopolies for reasons of national security, to realize economies of scale for competing internationally, or where two or more producers would be wasteful or pointless (as in the case of utilities).

Even the US Legal website has a different legal definition of monopoly from what you stated:

Monopoly Law and Legal Definition

Monopoly is a control or advantage obtained by one entity over the commercial market in a specific area. Monopolization is an offense under federal anti trust law. The two elements of monopolization are (1) the power to fix prices and exclude competitors within the relevant market. (2) the willful acquisition or maintenance of that power as distinguished from growth or development as a consequence of a superior product, business acumen or historical accident.

When I think of a monopoly I think of my choice of internet service providers. Many people in many areas have no choice at all.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
34. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 18:13 Prez

...Yes, it's bad to have a monopoly, which Steam outright is....

Hmm. Is it though? I mean, with GOG and Origin (and I guess Uplay, but that sucks) there are places where people can buy games on a digital download service without ever touching Steam. Sure, Steam is currently holding a huge percentage of that particular market share, but there ARE alternatives.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
14. Re: Op Ed May 17, 2017, 00:10 Prez

I agree that Valve is not your friend, but not healthy for gaming? Gaming on the PC is stronger than ever due in large part to Steam.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > NY Times on Star Citizen
6. Re: NY Times on Star Citizen May 10, 2017, 22:31 Prez

The article doesn't really go into the concerns about Star Citizen, so at the very least it is titled incorrectly.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Out of the Blue
29. Re: Unrelated May 10, 2017, 00:56 Prez

Back to the golf course again for the Rangers. Dammit.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
22. Re: Op Ed May 8, 2017, 21:09 Prez

I guess it would help if there was a somewhat standardized definition of what "Lovecraftian" actually means. I'd agree that several games that claim to be such don't give me that feeling. Except one kind of obscure title from the nineties, but I can't remember what it was called.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Activision Blizzard Financials
2. Re: Activision Blizzard Financials May 4, 2017, 20:37 Prez

Blizzard definitely hit a gold mine with Overwatch. It will probably be a moneymaker for years to come.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Turns 15
23. Re: The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind Turns 15 May 2, 2017, 19:40 Prez

Fond memories of Morrowind. Not too long ago I thought I'd reinstall it and maybe run through it again. I guess I've been spoiled by the more accessible more recent Elder Scrolls because the mechanics felt archaic to me. When I'm clearly hitting the person or monster I'm swinging at and the game keeps telling me I missed it made me so angry! It was never a problem for me back when Morrowind was new but I guess I've grown out of it.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Diablo III Necromancer Q&A Wednesday
16. Re: Diablo III Necromancer Q&A Wednesday May 1, 2017, 22:36 Prez

If you kill an important or loved character you should stand behind it and keep them dead.

I would agree, but I never got over how badly Leah got screwed over in D3. By her own mom for chrissake. I'd like to see her make a comeback. Somehow.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Uncut Half-Life in Germany
24. Re: Uncut Half-Life in Germany Apr 28, 2017, 21:06 Prez

While I thought Unreal was amazing, it still felt like a game, albeit an engrossing one. Half-Life though - with the incredible cohesiveness of the narrative experienced through the gripping gameplay felt like an adventure. A wonderful experience. I couldn't really tell you anything about Unreal other than it was amazing-looking (at the time obviously) and tons of fun. But I can remember almost every detail of Black Mesa, the genius encounters, and Xen to this day.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Prey System Specs
4. Re: Prey System Specs Apr 27, 2017, 23:00 Prez

The head-scratching decision to call this game "Prey" aside, it looks like it has the potential to be good. Waiting for reviews/Let's Plays.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 21, 2017, 17:05 Prez

Again, the main problem is not selling cheap games - lots of sites do that. It's that without the proper safeguards that G2A lacks anything bought through G2A with a stolen credit card or hacked account will end up in a charge back that the developer is responsible for. This can and purportedly has resulted in developers having to pay quite a bit of money in charge back fees. That should be guarded against and G2A doesn't .  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Interviews
8. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 20, 2017, 22:10 Prez

Without getting into a pissing contest, I find the arguments in favor of G2A posted here pretty piss-poor and unconvincing. I like cheap games as much as the next guy (probably more, since the net value of my 2000+ games Steam library is over $15000 but I've paid less than a third of that) but I like the idea of developers getting fairly compensated better.

As to the eBay comparison that keeps coming up, I think it's a point worth mentioning that eBay and Amazon do not allow the reselling of digital goods for the very reason that G2A is under fire for: the reselling of keys bought through illegal means like credit card fraud.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks
2. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 12, 2017, 10:17 Prez

I've lost the last 6 competitive games I've played. In one of those I played horribly, but for the rest I was getting gold objective time, damage, and eliminations with a 3-1 to 4-1 kdr. When I was healing I would rarely die, rezzed dozens of teammates, and had close to 15000 pts of healing. I keep getting put on terrible teams who think this is team deathmatch or a big free-for-all. It kind of sucks being punished for things completely out of my control.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks
3. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 12, 2017, 10:03 Prez

Is anyone excited for this game? Considering how EA screwed up the first with their $60 initial release that had maybe $15 worth of content and their grossly overpriced season pass garbage that added in what should have been included in the main game, I'd be surprised if even diehard Star Wars fans were not going into this one with at least a bit of skepticism.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Apr 12, 2017, 09:56 Prez

No it was not a "horrific" incident. A case where things spiraled out of control and we're handled poorly, sure. But to say it was "horrific" is just diluting the meaning of the word. Seeing a man in Syria holding two dead babies who were murdered by their own government - THAT is horrific.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2017, 11:03 Prez

I am a huge animal protection advocate with thousands of hours (and dollars) invested in animal rescue. I don't have a problem with breeders in general. When I start to have a problem is when they dump "unsellable" animals to die after months of neglect. I cannot begin to tell you how many animals I come across who are on deaths door and cost tons of money to vet and rehabilitate. The other problem is breeders who breed already overbred breeds like pit bulls. Dozens of pit bulls are euthanized every week at my local animal control here in Memphis alone because of how many there are. I can't begin to explain what it's like walking down a row of cages all filled with animals scheduled to die and having to pick two or three out of all of them because that's all you have the resources for. Those faces haunt you.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > G2A Responds to Gearbox
13. Re: G2A Responds to Gearbox Apr 11, 2017, 10:43 Prez

I don't understand why people bother with insurance. That's what credit cards are for. Paypal will always issue a chargeback if there's a problem and refund your money.

That's the problem. Developers are being hit with charge backs and losing tons of money. At least one indie dev has been forced to close because of it, but there are multiple reports of it happening by many developers. They are responsible for the chargebacks, not the credit card company or PayPal.

- Mahatma Gandhi

13512 Comments. 676 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

Blue's News is a participant in Amazon Associates programs
and earns advertising fees by linking to Amazon.

footer

Blue's News logo