Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 13986 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

News Comments > Antigraviator Beta Signups
1. Re: Antigraviator Beta Signups Mar 14, 2018, 10:41 Prez

This generation's F-Zero or Wipeout? Probably not, but one can hope. Then again Redout is awesome so maybe we already those.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Op Ed
45. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2018, 09:37 Prez

Sepharo wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 15:55:
Sorry I have to agree to some degree...
You made an absurd claim, that while couched as merely your opinion, doesn't change that it's so absurd that anyone engaging with you should seriously consider whether it's worth it.

Edit: Maybe some clarification is incoming... but to clear up from my end:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activism
You think none of that has/had value?

Call it what you like - but I stand by my "claim" that activism is utterly pointless, self-serving, and in some cases, destructive and counter-productive. Cite all the examples you like; there are reasons why each of those endeavors succeeded that go beyond basic activism. That mine is not a popular opinion on a very liberal-heavy site is hardly a surprise. But I don't consider that a bad thing - liberals are all too often ruled predominantly by their emotions and see value solely in "doing something" and "raising awareness" without stopping to consider the value of what it is they are doing and whether the result they desire is obtainable through their given methods. Worse, without considering results they remain painfully oblivious to the fact that their misdirected "actions" are often making their opposition stronger and hurting their own cause. They'd rather just "do something" (with the cozy little side bonus of feeling better about themselves for "doing something"). Feel free - I am not one to tell you how to live your life. You do you. But taking offense because someone points out the pointlessness of your efforts (not even in a pointed condemnation but simply in a stated incidental opinion) is about as productive as putting your little hashtag in front of whatever word is triggering you this week or lying down in a public place in front of a local news station camera. That I endeavor to accomplish things that are important to me through actual meaningful and considered action is a source of pride regardless how many over-emotional adult males tell me that my viewpoint is absurd.

EDITED for spelling because while I am perfectly fine being viewed as a loon by my friends here on Blues, I'd hate to be viewed as an uneducated loon.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2018, 10:36.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc.
4. Re: etc. Mar 13, 2018, 14:57 Prez

Beamer wrote on Mar 13, 2018, 14:37:
Almost all of that footage was out of context. Except for the Sniper games, those were totally in context, and the violence was really the only reason to play those games. At least for me. I tried the 3rd, hated it (for reasons I've mentioned here often enough), but did find the Romeo Must Die style kills kind of amusingly novel.

Moreover the majority of the clips were taken from cutscenes, scenes in which the player is only spectating. At which point they are not training players to be killers any more than watching movies does. Which is to say not at all. The one major exception is the civilian mass murder scene from Modern Warfare 2 where you are the active shooter. Which I still find to be in poor taste but contextually it had purpose in the game. But then again I found Hatred to be in even worse taste with zero context beyond "I hate the world and I'm so edgy!!" but that didn't stop me from playing it and even enjoying it slightly so....

I never went out and knifed innocent bystanders in the skull though.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Mar 13, 2018, 13:16 Prez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LnsmSCkWUk&app=desktop

Jim Sterling's response.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
41. Re: Op Ed Mar 13, 2018, 09:09 Prez

Okay so disagreeing with a point of view (one for which clearly no time was taken I'm attempting to even read much less comprehend) is grounds for shunning and mockery in Yonder's world. I'll make a note of that as it will save me time later when determining who is worth responding to. But I would ask that you save your pity as it is unnecessary and unwarranted. As for my "loved ones"... well, there's my dogs and cats I guess...  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
39. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2018, 18:41 Prez

Flatline wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 18:10:
Prez wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 15:31:
Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 15:18:
It depends on the activism, Prez. All the PC clicktivism and outrage today is not only stupid, it's dangerous. The far left is only fostering the far right. They're their own worst enemy. Just look at the recent German and Italian elections. And that's unfolding all over the globe. But there's plenty of good and necessary activism too.

You're example is spot on. I also admit their are causes worth fighting for. I just see no value in activism of any kind. Unless there is a figure head, a true leader. One who is respected and charismatic enough for his or her followers to actually heed what they say. And at that point, said person becomes a general in a revolution. Your run-of-the-mill activist is now a soldier, marching to the orders of the leader. There's actual direction. The body acts as one. That's how things get done. Any movement that lacks a defined and strong leader or leaders is going nowhere at best, or making things worse at worst, exactly as you illustrate in your example.. Today's movements, every single one of them, bare that out completely in my view.

So specific case in point that doesn't fit what you're saying. I'd point to gay marriage rights in the US circa 2010-2011. There was no one single charismatic leader leading that fight but in the span of about 18 months the entire political landscape shifted significantly and then was followed up with Obergefell v. Hodges in 2015 (it seems like a lot longer ago).

If I had to point to any one thing kicking off that 18 month timespan I'd probably put it on Biden going off the reservation in an interview and stating on the record he was in favor of anyone being able to marry anyone, and the Obama administration deciding not to hang him out to dry. It didn't influence Obergefell v. Hodges but that seemed to be a cultural cracking point.

The #metoo thing seems to have legs too. That doesn't have a leader per se, but more of a poster boy for everything the concept is against. Time will tell if it impacts the industry.

I do absolutely agree that coordination and an agreement of goals by different groups that might not otherwise come together are necessary to invoke change, and that with a charismatic leader or a handful of them that it's easier to bridge those gaps and get past the narcissism of small differences, but I don't think it's necessarily mandatory.

I'd argue that the shift on gay marriage was brought about more due to an overall shift in societal norms that coincided with the overall weakening of the power of the religious right. I won't deny that this was helped along by gay people coming out en masse over the last 20 or 30 years but I don't look at people no longer being ashamed of who or what they are as they had felt forced to in the past as "activism". I think it's also worth pointing out that it was a distinct lack of activism - a conservative Supreme Court judge ruling based on what the Constitution provides for all citizens rather than based on personal value systems as so many activist judges on both sides normally do - that effectively put the gay marriage issue to bed once and for all.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Sells 500K
1. Re: Warhammer: Vermintide 2 Sells 500K Mar 12, 2018, 17:39 Prez

That's awesome. This is an excellent dev team and it's great to see o e of the good ones rewarded with commercial success.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
28. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2018, 15:31 Prez

Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 15:18:
It depends on the activism, Prez. All the PC clicktivism and outrage today is not only stupid, it's dangerous. The far left is only fostering the far right. They're their own worst enemy. Just look at the recent German and Italian elections. And that's unfolding all over the globe. But there's plenty of good and necessary activism too.

You're example is spot on. I also admit their are causes worth fighting for. I just see no value in activism of any kind. Unless there is a figure head, a true leader. One who is respected and charismatic enough for his or her followers to actually heed what they say. And at that point, said person becomes a general in a revolution. Your run-of-the-mill activist is now a soldier, marching to the orders of the leader. There's actual direction. The body acts as one. That's how things get done. Any movement that lacks a defined and strong leader or leaders is going nowhere at best, or making things worse at worst, exactly as you illustrate in your example.. Today's movements, every single one of them, bare that out completely in my view.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
26. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2018, 15:07 Prez

jdreyer wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 14:34:
Prez wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 12:51:
Activism in my opinion is always pointless at best, and destructive at worst.

Exactly. Martin Luther King and Gandhi should have just stayed home.

Ah yes the Ghandi and King counterpoint. And with biting sarcasm - how cute! You know I started typing out a lengthy response (as this is a topic I've debated extensively in the past) but then i realized this really isnt the place and honestly I just dont have the fire for debate like I used to. Suffice it to say that though both were great men with great messages, even their movements were co-opted. I know it's never a popular opinion but in MLK's case specifically, despite all of his efforts, the civil rights movement today looks nothing like what he intended it to be just going by his speeches, writings, and so on. That either movement was able to accomplish anything at all is a testament to the man not the movement. Without the men both sputtered.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2
6. Re: No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2 Mar 12, 2018, 14:01 Prez

Cutter wrote on Mar 12, 2018, 10:33:

Are you serious? It's a Win Store only title for PC? Wow that was a fucking boneheaded decision that's going to hurt them big time. I like SoD too though there were a lot of negatives to it. And it was really slimy of them to stop updating the game simply so they could sell a GOTY version instead. I'm sure they'll probably pull that again so I wouldn't buy SoD2 because of that.

Well on the developer page faq the answer to the question "Will it be on Steam?" is currently "Stay Tuned". Which I take to mean when Microsoft learns that Windows Store exclusive games sell like crap and allow it on Steam much later like they did with Quantum Break. But we'll see.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
16. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2018, 12:51 Prez

No, there's no denying that 4chan and GamerGate were a breeding ground for the alt-right. There's a reason Milo went from mocking them to patronizing them to leaving them in the dust - they made for a great launching off point. Those areas are full of angry young men who are socially awkward and looking for someone to validate both them and their anger.

I was behind the *concept* of gamergate before #gamergate was a thing. I saw that games media was in danger of becoming like the mainstream garbage that passes as "news" today - biased and slanted based on who is reporting it with a focus on agendas rather than reporting the actual news - and I didn't want games media to go there. The instant that gamergate became a thing, however, I ran the other way. I WILL NOT be a part of any concerted activist movement for the simple fact that as soon as your movement has more than 6 people in it it becomes something beyond your control and invariably is co-opted by a vocal minority of assholes who in turn become the face of your movement. It wasn't hard to see right away the type of cretin that would be drawn to the type of movement gamergate was and I wanted no part of it. I'm sure that the majority of the movement's followers who remained personally invested shared my beliefs from the outset but its takeover by racists and misogynists was inevitable and they unwittingly aligned themselves with that. Activism in my opinion is always pointless at best, and destructive at worst.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
7. Re: Op Ed Mar 12, 2018, 11:17 Prez

At first I didn't have too much of a problem with the arricle, assuming the author was referring to extreme fringe games like you'll see from the occasional far-right white supremacist (the kind of game that will occasionally pop up on Steam until the ensuing uproar let's Valve know what they are selling on their professional storefront and they hurriedly take it down). Then I read this:

First, rightwing ideologies have been overrepresented and dominant throughout the history of video games. Although affected by context, video games have long focused on the expulsion of “aliens” (Space Invaders to XCOM), fear of impure infection (Half-Life to The Last of Us), border control (Missile Commander to Plants vs Zombies), territory acquisition (Command & Conquer to Splatoon), empire building (Civilization to Tropico), princess recovery (Mario to Zelda), and restoration of natural harmony (Sonic to FarmVille).

So instantly I thought it was satire because of how ludicrous it is. I'm still wondering if it actually is satire and I'm just being extra dense today.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2
1. Re: No Microtransactions in State of Decay 2 Mar 12, 2018, 10:33 Prez

I loved State of Decay. In my opinion it is the one and only zombie survival game that has gotten it right. I loved the little dynamic stories that would pop up and, as in all classic games, you made plenty of memorable personal stories while playing. So to read that this is a Microsoft "Play Anywhere" title (not that I'm at all surprised) dropped my excitement level from maximum down to right around zero. Call me when they inevitably realize making it only available via the godawful Windows Store guarantees dogshit sales (EDIT: On PC) and release it for real gaming platforms.

This comment was edited on Mar 12, 2018, 10:45.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Valve Plans to Make Games
46. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 10, 2018, 10:27 Prez

Sepharo wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 20:06:
Prez wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 19:43:
Sepharo wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 19:24:
Prez wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 15:42:
[..] and moving to the Switch where they have a reasonable chance of their games not being buried under an avalanche of shit

Got news for ya, there's an avalanche of shit on the online Switch store too.

I wouldn't know and frankly that is not the point. I am reporting what more than one ex-PC game developer has publicly gone on record saying.

Well then they're mistaken, they're going to run into the same issue there.
It's not really a new problem to retail. Product placement is everything, and you have to pay the retailer for the preferential placement. Otherwise you're just one unit in a sea of units.

I was actually surprised at the amount of shit in the Switch store, it really resembles Steam and Google Play in that regard. Personally I never browse to find games but I was curious about what Nintendo's store was offering.

Yeah your post made me curious so I went and looked myself. Right now the Nintendo Store's Switch games section is sitting at 500 games. Checking specifically under indie games I recognized far more indie titles than those I didn't. And the majority are fairly highly rated on Steam. Yeah there are some dubious sounding stinkers in there but the level of saturation is a fraction of a fraction of what Steam has. Keeping in mind that the Switch is only a year and change old just look at what Steam has done in that time. In 2016 Steam added over 4000 games to its library. That was under Greenlight. In 2017 Steam added over 6000 under the even worse Steam Direct program. Putting it in perspective, in less than 2 years more games were added to Steam' s library than were added over the previous 13. And being a browser myself I check those new games being added regularly. It is almost incomprehensible how bad the vast majority of these games are. Half of them do look like they took about 15 minutes to cobble together in Unity or Game Guru.

I understand product visibility has been a real concern in retail forever, but nothing matches the pure oversaturation
of zero-quality garbage of Steam's library.

- Mahatma Gandhi

35. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 9, 2018, 19:43 Prez

Sepharo wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 19:24:
Prez wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 15:42:
[..] and moving to the Switch where they have a reasonable chance of their games not being buried under an avalanche of shit

Got news for ya, there's an avalanche of shit on the online Switch store too.

I wouldn't know and frankly that is not the point. I am reporting what more than one ex-PC game developer has publicly gone on record saying.

- Mahatma Gandhi

26. No subject Mar 9, 2018, 15:42 Prez

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 9, 2018, 11:35:
WalMart/Amazon/Target/Sears/Safeway/Kohls/Ad Nauseum don't review the products or games they sell. But Steam should be different, amirite.

Honestly, are people really this dense? OF COURSE retailers have quality control concerning the products they sell. How can you not know this?

It's not about being offended that shovelware floods the Steam store. It's about a game developer seeing the game he worked on for years get knocked off the New Releases page in a matter of hours and get buried under an avalanche of cynical no-effort virtual garbage so that it has next to zero exposure on Steam and sells like dogshit. How many developers have abandoned Steam and moved onto other platforms or abandoned game development altogether because of this? Hard to say, but several developers have spoken out about why they are giving up on Steam (and by extension, PC gaming overall) and moving to the Switch where they have a reasonable chance of their games not being buried under an avalanche of shit. If you don't care about such things then that's fine; but don't say that there's no consequence for Valve having absolutely no quality control whatsoever.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy for Steam in July
2. Re: Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy for Steam in July Mar 9, 2018, 15:22 Prez

Well now, this is kinda cool.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

7. Re: Valve Plans to Make Games Mar 9, 2018, 10:48 Prez

Handle both at once? Are you trying to imply that they currenrly are adequately handling the running of their digital distribution service? Because that would be funny. Hysterically, ironically funny. Have you SEEN the garbage you are selling Valve? Have you checked into how your customer service operates? Have you observed the behavior of the many cretins you allow to sell their crap on it? If by "handling" you mean making lots of money while doing as little as humanly possible, then okay, you're handling it I guess. I just don't see this mechanism crossing over into game development though. I'm not a developer but I know enough to know that for a game to be made, someone has to actually DO something at some point.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Project C Announced
4. Re: Project C Announced Mar 8, 2018, 13:21 Prez

...but they say this will be a AAA title..

Oh. So, loot boxes then.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
10. Re: Ooh, I got one too! Mar 8, 2018, 13:15 Prez

There are so many imcomprehensibly stupid assertions in this opinion piece that I literally don't have the time to address them all. Or even half of them. Thankfully most of this incredibly clueless writer's points are so idiotic that they hardly need rebuttals; anyone with the intellect above that of a small child and even a remote grasp on reality should be able to recognize the overall stupidity of what he is saying.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

13986 Comments. 700 pages. Viewing page 16.
< Newer [ 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo