Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 13946 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
1. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 20, 2018, 10:26 Prez

The last male northern white rhino, Sudan, dies as the last hope for the subspecies

Thanks poachers. Burn in hell you fucks.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Sea of Thieves Sets Sail
1. Re: Sea of Thieves Sets Sail Mar 20, 2018, 10:18 Prez

Put it somewhere other than the execrable Windows Store and I'll give it a whirl as it looks like it might be fun. Of course if it's anything like Guns of Icarus being on a team of jackasses can spoil every game session regardless of how good the core game is.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Ataribox is Atari VCS
13. Re: Ataribox is Atari VCS Mar 20, 2018, 08:47 Prez

Yeah, this totally won't be a complete flop. Rolleyes  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > HTC VIVE Pro Preorders
26. Re: HTC VIVE Pro Preorders Mar 19, 2018, 16:24 Prez

I'd say that for me Arizona Sunshine is the closest VR has had so far to a killer app. It is pretty awesome actually. As to good seated VR experiences, I'd add Everspace to the mix. I have to turn on cockpit mode to avoid the nausea I get after playing for 10 or 15 minutes but it's pretty great. I'd love to see the upcoming Mechwarrior 5 with a VR mode. That has been a fantasy of mine from the day i first played Mechwarrior in the 90's.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Ghost of a Tale Released
16. Re: Ghost of a Tale Released Mar 19, 2018, 15:15 Prez

HorrorScope wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 10:42:
Prez wrote on Mar 19, 2018, 09:21:
Unity is not the problem; the dickhead "developers" who want to make a quick buck with zero effort on Steam are the problem.

Sure there are some low efforts out there, but this whole zero effort thing is way overboard. It takes a lot to make a game in any system and if you don't have the best assets/talent, it is still work and there are many other parts of a game that are indeed work. I'd be more apt to say "Unity really can pull off great results if the talent is there to put it in", which I had no doubt. For example this game is being praised upfront by its animation, Unity tools allow it to be state of the art if the user is up to it, as good as models as you can make with all the tools for fine granularity to make it life like.

There's low effort, and then there's no effort. And yes, plenty of no effort games have been uploaded to Steam in the past couple of years. The biggest recent example was Silicon Echo (SidAlpha talked about them many times on his YouTube channel). They released around 200 games on Steam in a year's time (under several different company names so as to mask what they were doing). There is no way a development studio of 5 or 6 people could realistically achieve that output without buying game demo assets from Unity's Asset Store and uploading them without changing a single line of code or in-game model (which, it was discovered, is exactly what they were doing). Even John Ricotello, the current CEO of Unity, acknowledges that this happens all the time. He just doesn't feel it's his company's job to police that sort of thing. Silicon Echo is nowhere near the only ones who have done this. UnitZ (a survival/crafting game demo map with zombies that is sold on Unity's Asset store) was submitted to Steam wholesale back in the Steam Greenlight days at least a dozen times. They took what was supposed to have been a starting point for a game off of the Asset Store and submitted it as their own game. That's zero effort.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > HTC VIVE Pro Preorders
2. Re: HTC VIVE Pro Preorders Mar 19, 2018, 10:17 Prez

$800 without controllers? Jesus - privilege goggles indeed.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Steam Top 10
16. Re: Steam Top 10 Mar 19, 2018, 09:28 Prez

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Mar 18, 2018, 18:53:
Who the hell is still buying PUBG at this point, or is it all banned people getting new accounts?

He'll before PUBG Valve' s own Counterstrike GO was high on the list for like 8 years. I used to joke to my Steam buddies that once everyone on Planet Earth had bought it Valve began selling it on other planets.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Ghost of a Tale Released
12. Re: Ghost of a Tale Released Mar 19, 2018, 09:21 Prez

I watched a let's play of an alpha build of this game several months ago and afterwards I bought the Early Access version instantly. It was immediately evident how much love and care went into the creation of this from the very beginning. If this game doesn't charm the pants off of you in the first 5 minutes then you are a jaded crotchety soul who needs to get therapy. And the next time someone tells you that Unity is a garbage engine, show them this game. Unity is not the problem; the dickhead "developers" who want to make a quick buck with zero effort on Steam are the problem.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week
26. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week Mar 17, 2018, 06:52 Prez

Jesus Slick the extent to which you take your EA apologist role makes me sincerely hope you are an EA employee. At least that would make it understandable. If you aren't it really makes me sorry for you. To expect people to be grateful to EA for making their Star Wars game closer to something not a cynical predatory gambling simulator months after release is just utterly baffling.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > PAYDAY 2 VR Released
2. Re: PAYDAY 2 VR Released Mar 17, 2018, 06:45 Prez

Awesome - i can't wait to see how far I can get before vomiting!  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week
6. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Progression Changes Next Week Mar 16, 2018, 12:30 Prez

No purchaseable loot boxes... for now. C'mon this is EA.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

48. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2018, 10:22 Prez

Well having no small children in my house means the only safety I need is between by ears.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > ECHOPLEX Released
1. Re: ECHOPLEX Released Mar 15, 2018, 16:21 Prez

I kind of love that FMV is popping up here and there in thr occasional new game today. The heyday of FMV brought us some wonderfully cornball entertainment that I always found quite charming. And who didn't love the FMV cutscenes in the Red Alert games?  

- Mahatma Gandhi

45. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2018, 09:40 Prez

eRe4s3r wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 20:13:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 19:07:
SCHOOLS
Now Safer Than Ever!
Teacher’s Gun Is Accidentally Fired During Public Safety Class, Injuring 3 STUDENTS.

More guns will fix that.

Considering all guns have safeties and the first thing you learn is never to disable it unless you mean to shoot, I am pretty sure that was no accident

Not trying to refute anyone's point as I find the irony of someone being injured by the instructor's firearm in a firearm safety class he was teaching positively delicious, I just wanted to point out that actually not all guns have safeties. I have two Glock pistols that don't. At least not in the sense most people think about. There is no specific switch mechanism that will engage to preclude the gun from firing.

1badmf wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 23:34:

this is the part that the gun lobby knows and have been trying to bury for decades - the mere presence of guns increases the likelihood of a gun related incident something like 10 fold regardless of training. arming teachers will only do in schools what guns in the general population have done - a handful of justified uses that's completely buried by a mountain of accidents and incidents from people who should've never had access.

Again not trying to make a point just correct an inaccuracy. Believe me I am no fan of the gun lobby but gun safety is high on their list because they are aware of the added danger of the prevalence of firearms. It's kind of self-evident really - does anyone really need a statistical representation or a study to tell them that the addition of a dangerous thing into the mix makes the overall situation more dangerous? That's kind of like someone doing a study that proves that you are 1000% more likely to be in a car accident on the interstate than you are in your living room. Kind of obvious.

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2018, 09:51.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
52. Re: Op Ed Mar 15, 2018, 09:33 Prez

Well respect to you for reading my stance. Suffice it to say that while there is still a pretty wide chasm between my actual stance and your understanding of it, I chalk that up to a lack of ability to convey in words properly on my part rather than a lack of comprehension on yours. This whole discussion arose out of (what I considered to be at the time anyway) an innocuous comment as to why I never align myself with causes and movements. And indeed I never will. Ever. I instead choose to be the change I wish to see in the world. I find that I can make much more of a difference. I will leave the (pointless ) activism to others.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
50. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2018, 22:54 Prez

Sepharo wrote on Mar 14, 2018, 22:03:
frequent examples that people tend to use to refute the assertion when analyzed more closely do nothing to disprove it when one realizes that what accomplishes historical change happens alongside activism but certainly not because of it.

Okay do your magic trick then, explain to me how the activism of the (50s and 60s) Civil Rights movement did not help to bring about the Civil Rights Acts of 1957, 1960, 1964, and 1968.

Okay. Rosa Parks. Made a stand against 50's American society's repression of black people by actively refusing to give up her seat on a bus to a white man. One simple heroic act. She didn't stand on a street corner with a sign no one would read as they drove by and rolled their eyes. She eschewed the safe and put herself at risk. History refers to an activist but what she did beyond that is what ignited the civil rights movement almost single-handedly. This did more than a thousand, ten thousand people standing on a corner or gathering in a park. Martin Luther King used his great leadership and powerful voice to unite and motivate an entire race. He didn't do this in his spare time - he dedicated himself fully to making things happen. He DID something. Were he just an activist he would have had no more effect in advancing civil rights in America than useless, cynical, opportunistic race baiters like Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have. They are the picture of pure activism. Not only have they accomplished nothing in the way of civil rights advancement, they have actively hurt the cause and furthered the divide between races. People say they "raise awareness" and "fight for justice". I say they insinuate themselves into situations where they see an opportunity whether or not race is at the heart of the issue, throw themselves at the cameras, and increase racial tension while trying to build their legacy. Activism at its finest. Jackson and Sharpton did to the civil rights movement what happens to every single movement that lacks a powerful, moral leader of decisive action (or in the case of the civil rights movement, loses said leader) - they co-opted it for their own ends, twisted it into something it was never intended to be, and derailed the ongoing efforts set into motion by true leaders and heroes.

And civil rights is just one example. Remember the Tea Party movement? Co-opted by Islamophobes and right wing extremists. Occupy Wall Street? Co-opted by Communism-seekers and anarchists. Activism from left wing extremist groups gave us Trump in the White House. Activism from frustrated conservative simpletons gave us clowns like Ted Cruz and Paul Ryan in powerful legislative positions. Activism by the extreme fringe lefties is why the NRA is as powerful a lobby as it is. Activism by man-haters and feminist snowflakes is currently killing the #metoo movement in its cradle. Anecdotally speaking every single guy I know rolls his eyes at the very mention of it. Or was that the kind of "awareness" they were going for? I applaud the women who shed light on the abhorrent behavior of that pig Harvey Weinstein. That took some real guts. The rest of those opportunistic bandwagoners (activists) can piss off.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Op Ed
48. Re: Op Ed Mar 14, 2018, 19:52 Prez

Again, you claiming something is absurd does not make it so and certainly doesn't phase me in the least. I like and respect you but I recognize you are one of those people who only sees thing through their own prism. I don't claim anything as solely opinion without supporting it with examples and extensive explanation. Whether or not any of it penetrates your aforementioned prism is irrelevant to me. And while this isn't the most liberal site on the internet by far, it is clearly liberal-dominant and has been since I've been a member (2003 if I remember correctly). That doesn't bother me as I share much of the ideology of many here; it is in the methodology used (for example activism that accomplishes nothing) where I sharply diverge. We could keep going but what is the point? You've done nothing to convince me that my assertion of the pointlessness of activism is wrong and clearly don't intend to. Blanket statements that my assertion runs counter to history doesn't cut it - frequent examples that people tend to use to refute the assertion when analyzed more closely do nothing to disprove it when one realizes that what accomplishes historical change happens alongside activism but certainly not because of it. I've got a laundry list of historical examples but clearly I'd be wasting my time. And yes that's my opinion. It's absurd to you. Okay. Now move along.

This comment was edited on Mar 14, 2018, 20:06.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 14, 2018, 12:47 Prez

Meh, Isaac Asimov already came up with that with his 3 Laws of AI.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 12:30 Prez

As a huge admirer and somewhat of a hobbyist student of his life and theories, I can say that Hawking's view on the possibility of time traveling backwards (his stated theories and writings on the subject always inferred that in a such a case a human wouldn't be traveling, time would be) shifted during his life. At one conference he mused that if the universe ever ceased to expand and began contracting, time would travel backwards. Later in his life when the topic came up again and he was asked to reiterate that theory he said he had changed his mind about that. One of the biggest reasons I have always admired him is that despite his brain operating on a level that few humans could ever comprehend, he always remained humble, kept an open mind, and never was satisfied with what he knew but instead always pursued more knowledge. We mere mortals can learn a lot from his example.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

2. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 14, 2018, 10:46 Prez

Sad to hear about Hawking; the world doesn't have nearly enough geniuses of his caliber.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

13946 Comments. 698 pages. Viewing page 13.
< Newer [ 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo