Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter
User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 14399 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience

10. Re: Ubisoft Shakeup to Improve Gaming Experience Jan 18, 2020, 20:08 Prez

This is definitely a positive sign from Ubisoft. They have gotten a little too comfortable with their typical formula and their recent games haven't been as good as they can be.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Joe Biden on CDA and Video Games

36. Re: Job Biden on CDA and Video Games Jan 18, 2020, 18:22 Prez

jdreyer wrote on Jan 18, 2020, 17:27:
Prez wrote on Jan 18, 2020, 13:17:
Thankfully Ole' Joe is one of the final dinosaurs in the political space who grew up in a time before videogames were a part of virtually every childhood to at least some degree. These antiquated, wrong-headed views will die with him and his ilk.

And Jdreyer, how can you possibly claim he was not speaking about videogames? He literally said:

... And at one point, one of the little creeps sitting around that table, who was a multi- — close to a billionaire — who told me he was an artist because he was able to come up with games to teach you how to kill people, you know the ——

CW: Like video games.

Yeah, video games. ...

I'm not sure how you can even try to spin that as anything else.
He was talking about the guy that makes video games. Yes, I don't think he's a video game fan, but that's not the thrust of his rant. He's really pissed at the tech Bros, just like all of us.

I understand what the gist of his comment was, but, off-handed remark or not, the "coming up with games that teach people how to kill" line is a huge red flag for me, coming as it is from someone who could be President. Trump is a loudmouth blowhard, so I don't expect him to follow up on any of his goofy anti-game rhetoric, and alas, he didn't. I can see Biden taking it a lot further though.

As far as the rest of his point and the interview at large, I couldn't care less.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Joe Biden on CDA and Video Games

26. Re: Job Biden on CDA and Video Games Jan 18, 2020, 13:17 Prez

Thankfully Ole' Joe is one of the final dinosaurs in the political space who grew up in a time before videogames were a part of virtually every childhood to at least some degree. These antiquated, wrong-headed views will die with him and his ilk.

And Jdreyer, how can you possibly claim he was not speaking about videogames? He literally said:

... And at one point, one of the little creeps sitting around that table, who was a multi- — close to a billionaire — who told me he was an artist because he was able to come up with games to teach you how to kill people, you know the ——

CW: Like video games.

Yeah, video games. ...

I'm not sure how you can even try to spin that as anything else.

This comment was edited on Jan 18, 2020, 13:29.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Valve: Left 4 Dead 3 Not in Development

17. Re: Valve: Left 4 Dead 3 Not in Development Jan 18, 2020, 08:56 Prez

Valve is disinterested in making games, that much is clear. Given how profitable Steam and the CSGO/Hat Fortress cosmetic loot box economy is for them, they can afford to be. What I don't get is why they just don't license out their ip to be continued by 3rd party developers who actually still give a shit about game development.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Delay Won't Prevent Crunch

18. Re: Morning Tech Bits Jan 17, 2020, 21:08 Prez

The Magician wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 19:47:
Kxmode wrote on Jan 17, 2020, 18:41:

Everyone take a shot every time you see the F-word. Innocent

Sorry, I'm pretty passionate about devs not being treated like slaves, 40-50 hours a week like everyone else does should be perfectly doable.

Not gonna happen until devs unionize as I see it.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Cyberpunk 2077 Delay Won't Prevent Crunch

11. Re: Cyberpunk 2077 Delay Won't Prevent Crunch Jan 17, 2020, 15:31 Prez

Mandatory overtime is just a fact of life in a large percentage of blue collar jobs. I work on an airport for a major shipping carrier and they can and will mandatory you for dozens of hours of overtime a week if necessary. A snowstorm or ice storm for example means you get an extra 12 hour shift added to your work week at a minimum. You can easily work up to 17 hours a day for 7 days. It sucks but it just comes with the job. It's brutal and frankly dehumanizing but it pays well and thankfully workweeks that brutal are pretty rare. It has been worse at other jobs, but thankfully techs in my field are highly sought after so changing jobs, as much of a pain in the ass as that can be, is always an option. "Crunch" is a thing in more places than just in games development, but what makes it unique in the gaming industry is that, according to reports on Bioware and Epic, it is constant. It can go on months or even years at a time. The psychological toll this takes on a person cannot be overstated. I get that there will be periods of time where it is simply unavoidable, but to operate like that continuously is fucking criminal. If CD Projekt Red is putting their people in crunch mode from now until September that is just fucked up beyond description. No game, no matter how great, is worth the toll something like that will take on the people who have to suffer through it.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc.

1. Re: etc. Jan 15, 2020, 12:30 Prez

Honestly I'm amazed Gamestop is still around at all. I expected them to be gone years ago. At any rate, the news about their pending bankruptcy should be coming very soon.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Out of the Blue

10. Sex delays menopause, study finds. Jan 15, 2020, 12:20 Prez

No wonder my ex went into menopause at 38.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year

46. Re: Epic Games Store Sales Top $680M; Free Games to Continue All Year Jan 14, 2020, 14:32 Prez

I despise the exclusivity deals but there's nothing stopping Epic from doing it. In a way it works out for me because I am assured a more complete and patched game when it makes it to Steam. I don't have to have every game on Steam but EGS is just not a good platform.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Is it fair to refuse to hire people who use Nicotine? Jan 10, 2020, 16:10 Prez

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jan 10, 2020, 15:39:

"Right to Work" laws in the US basically remove some discrimination protections that used to exist, people in those states can be fired at any time without reason, or refused hiring without reason given. This particular instance (smoking discrimination) is just another example of some people shooting themselves in the foot and then realizing their mistake afterwards...

I currently live in a right to work state and I like not being forced to join a union to get a job as an electrical worker. Joining the IBEW is next to impossible unless you know someone - or a couple of someones - and it's run like an exclusive good ole boy club. I'm not saying that the IBEW is bad - many of my fellow electrical workers are proud members and love the union but I for one don't like the way the union does things, so I choose not to join. I have worked in manufacturing (yes manufacturing jobs still exist in the US) for many years and have never felt compelled to join any of the labor unions in those jobs either. And in my state I don't have to. But under the right to work laws in my state the union protections still extend to the workers who choose not to join, so it's not like you are really sacrificing anything.

- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Is It Fair To Refuse To Hire People Who Use Nicotine? Jan 10, 2020, 13:15 Prez

Cutter wrote on Jan 10, 2020, 13:09:
Prez wrote on Jan 10, 2020, 12:34:
No it isn't but that is a matter for management to handle, just as any case of reduced productivity would be. And having worked for as long as I have it's easy for me to say that it is utterly ludicrous to suggest that non-smokers don't have a billion ways to fuck off while at work as well. At least with smokers chances are you know where they'll be.

So true (funny how it seems...). The only real difference would be how smokers could affect costs for health insurance I suppose. And again, you could smoke and still be healthier than some morbidly obese junk food eating non-smoker, so that's not really fair in that case either. You could create all manner of scenarios where something is always going to end up as unfair to one person over another. Still, smoking is certainly the greater, and least necessary of the evils. You need to eat, even if it's junk, you don't need to smoke at all.

Yeah I agree on that. I didn't have as nearly as easy a time quitting cigarettes as you did, and I'm still not completely off the nicotine as I still vape with low mg content vape juice. I went from almost 3 packs a day to vaping 12mg/100ml, then 6mg/100ml, and now I'm at 3. Point is, it is REALLY difficult for some people to quit smoking. And as the article in the link points out, a disproportionate number of the unemployed smoke compared to the rest of society. If this were to become a more widespread hiring practice it could hurt the people who really could use the help the most. Plus, most corporations today offer smoking cessation programs that could help these people quit once hired. My alternative solution would be to have separate, higher health care premiums for workers who smoke, since they tend to be unhealthier. That would give them monetary incentive to work on quitting and getting healthier

And yeah those WW2 overlay photographs are neat as hell.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Get Sundered: Eldritch Edition for Free

7. Re: Get Sundered: Eldritch Edition for Free Jan 10, 2020, 12:58 Prez

Rhialto wrote on Jan 10, 2020, 12:47:
wow 2 comments removed... what's going on?
Removed by their author or a moderator?

PLEASE KEEP CALM
AND
BE COOL

:-)

SHUT THE **** UP YOU MOTHER****** SON OF A *****....

Uh, sorry. It must be something about Epic threads that makes people behave belligerently. Maybe it's like that movie "The Signal"...

- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Is It Fair To Refuse To Hire People Who Use Nicotine? Jan 10, 2020, 12:34 Prez

Cutter wrote on Jan 10, 2020, 12:30:
Prez wrote on Jan 10, 2020, 12:25:
I think it's a slippery slope. Today it's refusing to hire anyone who smokes, and smoking has largely fallen out of favor in modern society, so everyone is okay with it. But what about when companies start noticing pictures of you and your friends at a bar or at a party where alcohol is being served on social media (and you know that they are looking) and decide you are no longer a fit for their company? At what point does it become none of their business? I'm not saying it isn't their right to hire or not hire anyone for whatever reason they choose (as long as it isn't based on the usual protected things like gender, religion, age etc) but it sets a worrisome precedent.

Is it fair to non-smokers that smokers are always skipping out of work for a smoke? As someone who used to smoke I remember that always being common, 'Back in 5, just stepping out for a dart.' I suppose it becomes their business if it's an issue. And if people are distracted because of nicotine cravings than it's an issue. And it's not like discrimination in hiring - regardless of the reasons - hasn't always been rampant anyway.

No it isn't but that is a matter for management to handle, just as any case of reduced productivity would be. And having worked for as long as I have it's easy for me to say that it is utterly ludicrous to suggest that non-smokers don't have a billion ways to fuck off while at work as well. At least with smokers chances are you know where they'll be.

- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Is It Fair To Refuse To Hire People Who Use Nicotine? Jan 10, 2020, 12:25 Prez

I think it's a slippery slope. Today it's refusing to hire anyone who smokes, and smoking has largely fallen out of favor in modern society, so everyone is okay with it. But what about when companies start noticing pictures of you and your friends at a bar or at a party where alcohol is being served on social media (and you know that they are looking) and decide you are no longer a fit for their company? At what point does it become none of their business? I'm not saying it isn't their right to hire or not hire anyone for whatever reason they choose (as long as it isn't based on the usual protected things like gender, religion, age etc) but it sets a worrisome precedent.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Jan 10, 2020, 11:39 Prez

Nothing went wrong with VR- only with the unrealistic predictions of it going mainstream when it isn't a mainstream thing. A popular niche at best. For those who can overcome the obstacles to owning and using a VR set it is pretty damn awesome.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Interviews

1. Re: Morning Interviews Jan 10, 2020, 10:37 Prez

Lucasfilm wanted Star Wars Jedi- Fallen Order to be about bounty hunters and blasters

That wouldn't have necessarily been a bad thing. Star Wars is such a rich and interesting universe that a run and gun bounty hunting game could be awesome. Republic Commando had nothing to do with lightsabers or Jedi and I thought it was great for its time.

- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2020, 10:27 Prez

I get it that we tend to debate based on past dealings with certain individuals. But from where I'm sitting he does have a point. That's not to say that what is happening isn't horrific because it is. I am not a climate change denier by any means, but it seems to me (and I'm not there so I may be speaking out of ignorance) that the only thing truly unprecedented is the coverage these fires are getting. That's not a bad thing, since it is horrible and the unprecedented coverage raises awareness in such a way that more people are willing to help and hopefully more people will focus on fixing the problems going forward.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Overwatch 2 This Year?

18. Re: Overwatch 2 This Year? Jan 10, 2020, 10:19 Prez

Ozmodan wrote on Jan 9, 2020, 09:28:
Not sure why people are so enamored with Overwatch to start with and I cannot see another iteration being any better. After your 50th match you have to be bored out of your mind if not before.

I have hundreds of hours logged and I still play it. I still find it exciting when I get into a good match.

- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2020, 10:16 Prez

Beamer wrote on Jan 10, 2020, 09:43:
ventry wrote on Jan 9, 2020, 18:02:
Prez wrote on Jan 9, 2020, 12:52:
Concerning the Australia bushfires, I was skeptical of the arsonist emergency claim to begin with. Regardless, ot seems to me that what started the fires is not nearly as important as what is causing them to propagate. I had always heard that modern day Australia used the same controlled burning technique passed down from the Aborigines. Depending on who you believe, the controlled burns that would have prevented what is currently happening from being as devastating as it is didn't happen because 1) the greens in their increased enviromental fanaticism are preventing too many controlled burns for dubious reasons, or 2) the climate has changed to the point that the excess dryness and wind occur too often to allow the burns to be safely conducted. Pick your poison I guess. Either way what is happening is terrible beyond words.

Also the other irritating part is the left wing media here constantly spouting that these summer bushfires are "unprecedented".
That is absolute bullshit.
Currently the estimate is about 10.7 Million hectares burnt.
Back in the summer of 1974-75 almost 106 Million hectares burnt across 5 states.
If it's "climate change" now, what was it then when it was almost 10 times worse??

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bushfires_in_Australia

I also love how Wikipedia has grouped all the current fires together to make the scary number while the '74-'75 season are divided into separate states.

Here in Australia during summer we have bushfires EVERY year. Most aren't that big but, every 15 - 20 years we have a couple of big ones.

And yes, in some states farmers are actually fined for clearing combustible undergrowth in forests bordering their property. (The greenies didn't want them disturbing the habitat of insects, snakes, small mammals, etc. Well, they are all burnt up now. congratulations.)

I believe California had a similar issue with their recent wildfires. (unchecked undergrowth I mean. Correct me if I am wrong)

Probably because 40 homes got destroyed in 1874-75, whereas it's 2200 homes and counting now.
Which would lead you to believe there's a difference in how and where these fires are burning, but I dunno, maybe facts care about ventry's feelings?

According to census stats I've found, the population of Australia was around 16 million in the 1970's (you put 1874-5 but I assume you are referring to the same time period Ventry referenced) and over 33 million in 2010. So population density being vastly higher would surely factor into the prompt jump in homes destroyed by the most recent fires. You know, you could try not being so contentious with everyone who posts stuff that you don't agree with. Just saying...

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Into the Black

5. Re: Into the Black Jan 9, 2020, 23:20 Prez

Yeah killing Wash is a problem, but the rest of the cast was so strong that it could work without him.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

14399 Comments. 720 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >