Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Bend, OR 04/29

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 13419 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Apr 21, 2017, 17:05 Prez

Again, the main problem is not selling cheap games - lots of sites do that. It's that without the proper safeguards that G2A lacks anything bought through G2A with a stolen credit card or hacked account will end up in a charge back that the developer is responsible for. This can and purportedly has resulted in developers having to pay quite a bit of money in charge back fees. That should be guarded against and G2A doesn't .  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Interviews
8. Re: Morning Interviews Apr 20, 2017, 22:10 Prez

Without getting into a pissing contest, I find the arguments in favor of G2A posted here pretty piss-poor and unconvincing. I like cheap games as much as the next guy (probably more, since the net value of my 2000+ games Steam library is over $15000 but I've paid less than a third of that) but I like the idea of developers getting fairly compensated better.

As to the eBay comparison that keeps coming up, I think it's a point worth mentioning that eBay and Amazon do not allow the reselling of digital goods for the very reason that G2A is under fire for: the reselling of keys bought through illegal means like credit card fraud.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks
2. Re: On Overwatch Smurfing and Loss Streaks Apr 12, 2017, 10:17 Prez

I've lost the last 6 competitive games I've played. In one of those I played horribly, but for the rest I was getting gold objective time, damage, and eliminations with a 3-1 to 4-1 kdr. When I was healing I would rarely die, rezzed dozens of teammates, and had close to 15000 pts of healing. I keep getting put on terrible teams who think this is team deathmatch or a big free-for-all. It kind of sucks being punished for things completely out of my control.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks
3. Re: Star Wars Battlefront II Commercial Leaks Apr 12, 2017, 10:03 Prez

Is anyone excited for this game? Considering how EA screwed up the first with their $60 initial release that had maybe $15 worth of content and their grossly overpriced season pass garbage that added in what should have been included in the main game, I'd be surprised if even diehard Star Wars fans were not going into this one with at least a bit of skepticism.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Apr 12, 2017, 09:56 Prez

No it was not a "horrific" incident. A case where things spiraled out of control and we're handled poorly, sure. But to say it was "horrific" is just diluting the meaning of the word. Seeing a man in Syria holding two dead babies who were murdered by their own government - THAT is horrific.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Out of the Blue
2. Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2017, 11:03 Prez

I am a huge animal protection advocate with thousands of hours (and dollars) invested in animal rescue. I don't have a problem with breeders in general. When I start to have a problem is when they dump "unsellable" animals to die after months of neglect. I cannot begin to tell you how many animals I come across who are on deaths door and cost tons of money to vet and rehabilitate. The other problem is breeders who breed already overbred breeds like pit bulls. Dozens of pit bulls are euthanized every week at my local animal control here in Memphis alone because of how many there are. I can't begin to explain what it's like walking down a row of cages all filled with animals scheduled to die and having to pick two or three out of all of them because that's all you have the resources for. Those faces haunt you.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > G2A Responds to Gearbox
13. Re: G2A Responds to Gearbox Apr 11, 2017, 10:43 Prez

I don't understand why people bother with insurance. That's what credit cards are for. Paypal will always issue a chargeback if there's a problem and refund your money.

That's the problem. Developers are being hit with charge backs and losing tons of money. At least one indie dev has been forced to close because of it, but there are multiple reports of it happening by many developers. They are responsible for the chargebacks, not the credit card company or PayPal.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > G2A Responds to Gearbox
10. Re: G2A Responds to Gearbox Apr 11, 2017, 09:06 Prez

Blackhawk wrote on Apr 10, 2017, 21:50:
This one isn't complicated. One of the demands is that they stop charging for 'insurance' that their games are legitimate.

They still charge for the insurance.

Yes. And good luck de-activating their garbage "G2A Shield" subscription where they charge you per month for the protection that every other legitimate online seller provides for free, as they should. I spent a month with their non-functional deactivation process and useless support system before giving up and just telling my bank to block all further charges by G2A.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character
74. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 8, 2017, 10:02 Prez

JohnQP wrote on Apr 8, 2017, 08:28:
So you don't understand the difference between theory and reality?

I understand the difference between theory and reality, yes.

Do you understand the difference between earnestness and sarcasm? Reality and parody?

Yes. Maybe I'm being dense. Could you explain what your point is?

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition Released
5. Re: Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition Released Apr 7, 2017, 22:14 Prez

Yeah, I'm not interested in this at full price either. I can only assume the only people who are never bought the original.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

72. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 7, 2017, 19:34 Prez

Quinn wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 18:26:

You forget one important aspect: ME is far into the future, and it's quite safe to say that in that future the human race has achieved true equality.

That is a valid point, but this far-future game is still&#8203; being experienced in our current time, which makes it beholden to current societal norms in most peoples' eyes I think. I always use the example of All in the Family and M.A.S.H., both popular shows of the '70's. The former was laden with jokes about black people (Meathead's black friend and the Bunkers' black neighbors used as catalysts for the jokes), while the latter literally had an early character whose nickname was "Spearchucker" (who got named so because he was black). Shows like this really wouldn't fly in today's more sensitive climate (and I'm not being derogatory with the use of the word sensitive in this case.)

Also, the problem with bringing in a black person for a black person's insight can be tricky, because today we see many black people think things happen in their life because they are black... but there's absolutely zero evidence for their skincolor being the reason for it. Easy example: getting turned down for a job.

True enough. Which is why I always accentuate cultural differences. A perfect example is two white guys, one from rural Mississippi and one from Bronx New York. Skin color is the same, but still these two men could not be more different. I am a New Yorker who transplanted to the Midsouth, and it is often funny as can be not only to see how different these two classes of white Americans are from each other, but also how incorrectly they perceive one another. Basically, most northern city folk believe that Duck Dynasty is an accurate portrayal of all "Rednecks", while the southern people believe what they watched on "Jersey Shore" is how all "Yankees" act. It's fascinating really. You need to understand one's culture to portray them accurately in any media, be it TV, books, movies, or games.

This comment was edited on Apr 7, 2017, 22:10.

- Mahatma Gandhi

70. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 7, 2017, 17:25 Prez

JohnQP wrote on Apr 7, 2017, 15:51:
In theory, I would agree with you.

*facepalm*

So you don't understand the difference between theory and reality?

- Mahatma Gandhi

68. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 7, 2017, 10:24 Prez

If you don't intimately understand the lifestyle and perspective of a type of person, you'll probably do a bad job at it. By the same token, if you have an all white male team maybe it's best you didn't include a black female character just because you feel you have to in the name of "diversity". Unless you have access to an actual black female who can give you detailed insight into her specific cultural and gender interests and challenges your depiction of her will likely come across as ham-fisted and can insult the cross section of people you were trying to make feel included.

Yeah but aren't we all exactly the same, except for skin color/sexual orientation? And shouldn't writing characters with different skin color/sexual orientation therefore be no different, but for one or two insignificant exceptions?

In theory, I would agree with you. But the reality is quite different. Growing up in NYC in the '70s gave me a lot of insight to the magnitude that culture, perspective, and environmental conditioning can differ between different races, ethnicities, and lifestyles.

Look at it this way - someone who lacks the understanding of the intricacies of living a transgender existence is likely to portray a transgender character in exactly the awkward way that Bioware did in Andromeda. Compare that to the way a similar character is portrayed in Watch Dogs 2 - realistically and effectively - and the difference between doing it the right way and the wrong way should become clear.

- Mahatma Gandhi

1. Re: BioWare Apologizes for Mass Effect: Andromeda Character Apr 6, 2017, 10:36 Prez

This is why I've been saying that it's better not to include alternative lifestyle characters in games just for the sake of it. If you don't intimately understand the lifestyle and perspective of a type of person, you'll probably do a bad job at it. By the same token, if you have an all white male team maybe it's best you didn't include a black female character just because you feel you have to in the name of "diversity". Unless you have access to an actual black female who can give you detailed insight into her specific cultural and gender interests and challenges your depiction of her will likely come across as ham-fisted and can insult the cross section of people you were trying to make feel included.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > FlatOut 4: Total Insanity Released
3. Re: FlatOut 4: Total Insanity Released Apr 5, 2017, 14:59 Prez

From what I'm reading this a REAL Flat out game, unlike the terrible Flatout 3 or the hugely disappointing "Wreckfest" on Early Access. I'm excited.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc., etc.
3. Re: etc., etc. Apr 5, 2017, 07:42 Prez

jdreyer wrote on Apr 5, 2017, 03:47:
Let's see, make people pay full price for a game, then have shit netcode and force them to grind for in-game currency? Why would people downvote that?

Ubisoft continually does crazy, stupid shit like this. They only learn their lessons after tons of negativity and floundering sales. Unfortunately, by then it's probably too late.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Steam Discovery Changes Will "Fight Fake Games"
19. Re: Steam Discovery Changes Will Apr 4, 2017, 14:47 Prez

Rhett wrote on Apr 4, 2017, 13:44:
Definitely a lot of garbage on steam.. a lot of stuff I'd rather never, ever see on there (movies, novels, erotic novels/shitty ero games), but I guess those are considered "legit" compared to this.

If only Origin and Uplay didn't suck complete ass. Even if they didn't, Steam does everything better... blargh.

The strange thing is that those anime graphic novels (boobies!) sell like hotcakes based on reports I've heard about, so if I ran Steam I'd have them on there too.

And as far as alternative platforms to Steam go, while Uplay is still inferior in every way, Origin is quite good. It has infinitely better customer service than Steam and its return policy is more generous than Valve's. The download speeds are decent, and it has a really good subscription program called EA Access that gives you access to a ton of great games for a very fair monthly fee. The worst thing about Origin, to be honest, is that it is owned by EA. It's hard to just overlook the shit they have pulled over the years and still do, but that is the biggest drawback the way I see it. I prefer Steam for that reason alone.

- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Starbreeze Publishing Psychonauts 2 Apr 4, 2017, 12:25 Prez

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 4, 2017, 12:13:
...Sterling has shown that his position on something is based solely on how many views and Patreon dollars it gets him. He doesn't have a view of his own, it's based around what he thinks will satiate his audience the most...

Based on the hate he gets in his comments section concerning everything from review scores (9.5 for a Call of Duty game, 7 for the new Zelda, etc) to his calling out entitled gaming "manboys" who go ape shit over different things, to taking the "SJW" stance on many topics (not that I disagree), I'd venture to say he isn't very interested in satiating anyone. You can argue that this type of stuff is "click bait" material, but really can't that be said about anyone taking a strong stance on anything in new media? Everyone on YouTube and Twitch need views to survive.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Cheat Maker Owes Blizzard $8.5M
7. Re: Prey in May Apr 4, 2017, 12:16 Prez

rawbelly wrote on Apr 4, 2017, 11:00:
That number had to have hurt, getting pulled out their butt and whatnot.

Actually from what I've read it was $200 per verified cheat sold for Blizzard games.

I have no idea if they will ever actually be forced to pay but I sure hope that a way is found to make them so these miserable fucks go out of business.

- Mahatma Gandhi

3. Re: Steam Discovery Changes Will Apr 4, 2017, 10:13 Prez

I used to hate Jim Sterling - back when he basically called PC gamers entitled, whiny pirates (okay, admittedly many are...) back when he was with Destructoid. But he's definitely grown as a games critic and is mighty entertaining now. I watch every Jimquisition video and enjoy them immensely, even when I disagree with him.

I've followed TB for years now. He can be a self-righteous arrogant ass sometimes but his critiques of gaming are almost always spot on.

The Jim Sterling video is short and worth watching if you want a quick synopsis of what the meeting at Valve was about. The TB one is longer (over an hour) but covers the new initiatives by Valve to improve Steam in much more detail.

With close to 3 million subscribers and many millions of views combined TB and Jim Sterling are the most notable outspoken critics of Steam ( and they have been very critical) so they were the obvious choices for such a meeting.

- Mahatma Gandhi

13419 Comments. 671 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo