Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for John Prezioso

Real Name John Prezioso   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Prez
Email prezjj@gmail.com
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 24, 2003, 03:25
Total Comments 13980 (Ninja)
User ID 17185

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

News Comments > Jagged Alliance: Rage! Announced
6. Re: Jagged Alliance: Rage! Announced Aug 14, 2018, 12:41 Prez

Well 'Jagged Alliance' has always been a stupid name so throwing 'RAGE!' onto the end of it seems fitting somehow. I don't mind the look of the game as displayed in the trailer - JA was never really about its graphics or art style anyway. It was all gameplay, interesting characters, and unique dark humor. Well, the originals anyway. The RTS remake was a decent game in its own right but didn't do nearly enough to earn its JA title. Nail the feel of Jagged Alliance, or call it something else entirely.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > etc.
2. Re: etc. Aug 14, 2018, 12:18 Prez

Again I have to ask, who cares? Either the groups are just set up as troll fodder, which means people who get their panties in a twist over it are giving them their desired outcome, or they are genuinely gross people who believe in bigotry and hatred, in which case they are are conveniently lumped together in their little groups for easy identification by normal people. I just don't see the problem. Why does everyone need the thought police to keep them safe? I know, I know, privileged white guy, so my opinion doesn't matter. Rolleyes

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2018, 14:40.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Bethesda Blocks Used Game Sale
81. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 14, 2018, 12:02 Prez

Wraith wrote on Aug 14, 2018, 11:48:
Prez wrote on Aug 12, 2018, 22:57:
Wraith wrote on Aug 12, 2018, 19:23:
Prez wrote on Aug 12, 2018, 15:12:
Leave it to SMA to take the time to pen out a point-for-point rebuttal that systematically obliterates every fallacy in an argument. Bravo!
This tells me you don't really understand what a fallacy is.
Well simply put, the basis of your entire argument is a perfect illustration.
Shit dude, way to double-down on demonstrating your lack of understanding. You're definitely the comedy relief in this discussion.

I'll give you points - you're trying. You're really trying. Thing is, no one is buying into your fantasy. So laugh away, while we all look at you and chuckle.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
3. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 13, 2018, 11:46 Prez

Blue wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 11:44:
Prez wrote on Aug 13, 2018, 11:43:
That's sad about Ruby Rose. I think she woould have been a good fit. She's beautiful, charismatic, and from what little I've seen her on screen, a decent actress.

She didn't quit the movie, just Twitter.

Yes, I realized that and edited my post. A little late obviously.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Metaverse
1. Re: Morning Metaverse Aug 13, 2018, 11:43 Prez

That's sad about Ruby Rose. I think she is a good fit. She's beautiful, charismatic, and from what little I've seen her on screen, a decent actress. Admittedly she played a mute in John Wick 2, but was suitably bad ass.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Gatherings & Competitions
1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 13, 2018, 11:40 Prez

That's 3 times this kid has been a douche. In my book that's 3 strikes, now he should be out. Ban his account permanently.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Bethesda Blocked Game Sale Because of "New" Designation
37. Re: Bethesda Blocked Game Sale Because of Aug 13, 2018, 08:52 Prez

I watched a video by Yongyea who reported on the law firm Bethesda is using. It turns out that they specialize in finding ways to circumvent First Sale doctrine to help publishers to stamp out used game sales without violating it. Nice.

As to the first sale doctrine being outdated, it is a point worth mentioning that as recently as 2013 the US Supreme Court not only upheld the right of first sale, but actually expanded its protection.
https://www.legalzoom.com/articles/copyright-laws-first-sale-doctrine

- Mahatma Gandhi

72. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 12, 2018, 22:57 Prez

Wraith wrote on Aug 12, 2018, 19:23:
Prez wrote on Aug 12, 2018, 15:12:
Leave it to SMA to take the time to pen out a point-for-point rebuttal that systematically obliterates every fallacy in an argument. Bravo!
This tells me you don't really understand what a fallacy is.
Well simply put, the basis of your entire argument is a perfect illustration.

- Mahatma Gandhi

67. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 12, 2018, 15:12 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi

51. Re: Bethesda Blocks Used Game Sale Aug 12, 2018, 11:19 Prez

I'm wondering why Bethesda didn't go after Green Man Gaming. They are a digital key reseller, so aren't the keys considered "used" in the same way that a wrapped copy of a game obtained by a person is "used" in Bethesda's view?  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Quake Champions Goes Free-to-Play
8. Re: Quake Champions Goes Free-to-Play Aug 11, 2018, 08:17 Prez

Kind of ballsy to go with unlockable heroes.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
6. Re: Morning Safety Dance Aug 10, 2018, 14:46 Prez

It's amazing to me how many people are calling this censorship. Did the definition change in the last few years and I just missed it? Anyway, if we're calling this censorship, then I guess I'm pro-censorship now. Alex Jones is absolute cancer and any organization private or public would be crazy not to distance themselves from him.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales
5. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 14:38 Prez

Quinn wrote on Aug 10, 2018, 13:46:
Running around killing big monsters so you gain loot to kill other big monsters. I am honestly so confused about why this is such a success. I need a new game... so I'd love to try this... but... but... it just seems so fucking shallow? :\

That's the gameplay loop of virtually every Action RPG in existence. It's got a lot of fans, me included.

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Aug 10, 2018, 13:33 Prez

Blue just said we're old.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales
2. Re: MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD's Monster Sales Aug 10, 2018, 13:31 Prez

That's pretty awesome news. Japanese publishers are taking note of the PC market and being rewarded for their efforts, which is great.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Destiny 2: Forsaken - Combat Reveal Livestream Today
2. Re: Destiny 2: Forsaken - Combat Reveal Livestream Today Aug 7, 2018, 13:33 Prez

The combat was never the problem imo; it is visceral, impactful, and satisfying. Why change it? The issue is and always was the neglect of meaninful end game content in favor of excessive monetization.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > Remastered The Bard's Tale Trilogy Kicks Off Next Week
2. Re: Remastered The Bard's Tale Trilogy Kicks Off Next Week Aug 7, 2018, 10:28 Prez

This isn't the first time the Bard's Tale has been resurrected. I know I played reboot around the early 2000's.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

News Comments > BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans
112. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 7, 2018, 08:40 Prez

Surely Beamer and Sepharo, you guys can at least relate - when I discuss something with you I start out the discussion respectfully and it continues in kind. We don't always agree but we manage to state our viewpoints without flinging our shit at the walls so to speak. Conversely, having discussions on the same topics with people who insist on calling you "SJW's", "White Knights", "Delicate little snowflakes", and the like ... without fail they end up contentious and devolve quickly at the very least into passive aggression if not outright downright belligerence. As a time-killing internet exercise that's fine, but I get the feeling that guys of your intelligence are not seeking that. By the same token mentioning "white fragility" is belittling, dismissive, and reductive. It's a clear indicator that you have no interest in hearing what the individual is saying but rather lumping them into a group you already have a negative view of and for which you have preconceived arguments at the ready. If your goal is to educate someone on your viewpoint, which is always the first step to changing hearts and minds as the saying goes, nothing is more counterproductive. I get that an interent forum is hardly the ideal place for deep meaningful discussion given the nature of it - hit-and-run jingoistic angry posts easily derail such things, but Quinn obviously doesn't fall into that category.

I remember when there was a lot of construction going on in my neighborhood as new homes all around me were being built, and I walked over to talk to the foreman about some damage one of his workers had done to my yard driving over it with his Bobcat. He was understanding and promised to fix it, but during the conversation the term "Goddamn Mexicans" came out of his mouth. It got awkward after that so I quickly thanked him and went back home. Later on he came to my door and filled me in on how the repair would be done over the weekend, and I casually started a conversation by mentioning he didn't seem to be too keen on his crew. (The entirety of which was Hispanic; he was the only white guy on the jobsite that I could see). I didn't call him a racist or accuse him of being racially insensitive and managed to get ouy of him that he had two sons who worked construction sitting at home without a job because the Contractor Manager liked hiring the Hispanics for several reasons. Bottom line there was a context to his anger that I wouldn't have found had I responded to his tirade with accusations.

Okay now that story time is over, I have to mention that while I didn't take the opprtunity to present an alternative viewpoint to him (that of the "Goddamn Mexicans) because his crew was coming back from their lunch break, the opportunity was there. Maybe I could have gotten somewhere and maybe I couldn't have, but a chance is better than no chance. Do i consider him a racist? No, because that would require in depth knowledge of his character that I had no way of knowing. Yes he made a gross racist comment in anget, but in my book that alone does not a racist make. There was room for discussion there. Again, this often can't happen on the internets, but it sometimes might bear unlikely fruit. Who knows?

- Mahatma Gandhi

99. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 6, 2018, 16:24 Prez

Normally I'd agree with you Beamer - arguing what things are called is basically semantics most of the time. But when it comes to this topic specifically, an already contentious one for many people, what gets called what to be passed off as simple identifiers is important. Words like 'racism' and 'white privilege' are, in my opinion, very intentionally used as igniter words to evoke strong feelings. The problem is, these words often derail any chance of intelligeny discourse because of how they are intended to make non-minorities feel. Ashamed. Guilty. Possibly even partial perpetrators of the injustice. I know that I am none of these things, and the labels I take at face value. But as evidenced by how these discussions are always so contentious - here and pretty much everywhere else - what would noramlly be simple semantics becomes a huge sticking point that precludes civil discourse. I'm willing to bet that half of the people who tune you out and get mad and defensive are just tired of being (what they perceive to be anyway) lambasted for being born into a middle class white family (something they have no more control over than someone born into a lower class Hispanic or African American family). Yes there is indifference on the part of many, but I suspect the majority of people who get called privileged white dudes really do care about fixing the system that tends to bury the less fortunate under a mountain of disadvatages and the culture of beligerence adopted by minorities that breeds adversarial relationships with law enforcement, authority, and people more fortunate. But it's a complicated issue with many, many facets, and even us privileged middle class white guys have stressful, busy lives rife with problems that need to be managed. There's only so much energy and attention one has to go around, and most of it naturally gets dedicated to keeping ourselves afloat. Lack of action is not indicative of a lack of empathy.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

89. Re: BioWare's Dragon Age and Mass Effect Plans Aug 6, 2018, 09:03 Prez

I was specifically talking about ethnic and financial status cultures. A quick synopsis - The way our social, political, and economic system has evolved over time has unfortuantely led to a self-propagating downslide for the poor and minorities that locks them into a cultural cycle that puts them at a huge disadvantage that's often too hard to overcome. It's an extremely complicated and long-winded discussion so I'm not sure going into much depth is feasible here. Instead a quick metaphor - one can point to the NFL and say that there's a dearth of Asians and physically handicapped players, thus the NFL is inherently bigoted towards those groups. I would say that that is indicative of a system that was set up without malice and devoid of agenda that is naturally predisposed towards exclusion of those groups. Not the best example I know, as the NFL is an elite organization and society encompasses everyone, but it works as an example of what I'm getting at.

And for the record, I disagree with the author whose writing you posted. The term institutionalized racism implies that the system itself is racist. This not true, nor even possible in my opinion.

- Mahatma Gandhi

13980 Comments. 699 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo