Limit Results:

233 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ] Older

Re: Extreme Rise of the Triad Release Date Question
Sep 13, 2020, 05:34
Re: Extreme Rise of the Triad Release Date Question Sep 13, 2020, 05:34
Sep 13, 2020, 05:34

Ant wrote on Sep 13, 2020, 04:26:
I have never even heard of "Extreme Rise of the Triad". Can we maybe find the release date answer on http://archive.org?

Sadly, the earliest the wayback machine seems to have for Blue's is July 1996. The few times Blue has mentioned in the following 12 months are generally not positive!

Re: Evening Interviews
Sep 11, 2020, 10:15
Re: Evening Interviews Sep 11, 2020, 10:15
Sep 11, 2020, 10:15

Title: "We have a social responsibility" to provide alternatives to game violence

You can still create threats and still have an aggressive experience but without necessarily opposing players to each other. That's a big difference.

It's probably the fault of whoever titled this article, but that did not live up to my expectations at all. "Alternative violence" is not the same as "an alternative to violence."

Re: Free Serious Sam TFE with GOG.com Harvest Sale
Aug 25, 2020, 04:39
Re: Free Serious Sam TFE with GOG.com Harvest Sale Aug 25, 2020, 04:39
Aug 25, 2020, 04:39

Slashman wrote on Aug 24, 2020, 13:46:
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!
"AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!" yourself.

Re: Get F1 2018 for Free
Aug 8, 2020, 11:32
Re: Get F1 2018 for Free Aug 8, 2020, 11:32
Aug 8, 2020, 11:32

WannaLogAlready wrote on Aug 7, 2020, 21:54:
Wonderful, got it.
Seems to me this deluge of important free games from various sources started thanks to the EGS, am I right ?

The Humble Store has had some pretty well rated freebies - many of which were high profile Codemasters games - at least as far back as 2014 (see such as this Blue's post about a Tropico 3 giveaway), but GOG was there (albeit more intermittently) as far as their Broken Sword giveaway in 2011. Origin had their on the house program from 2014-2018 (though most of their freebies were so old that even GOG wouldn't headline them), and Uplay has been on the bandwagon since 2016 or so.

These used to mark anniversaries or other milestones to get publicity, but by 2016 or so both GOG and Humble were using freebies to get people onto their website when they launched a new seasonal sale. By that time Steam was already moving away from its headline discounts and flash sales in favour of gamifying the sales.

(I have no idea to what extent this might have been inspired by or made easier to negotiate with publishers in the wake of Playstation Plus (2010) and Games with Gold (2013).)

My opinion is that regular, high quality freebies had become pretty commonplace well before Epic even had developers working on the Epic Games Store.

The cadence and RRP of the games being handed out by Epic is certainly unlike anything I've seen on PC before, but I'm not convinced that anyone else's behaviour has changed significantly. Bethesda and Ubi's recent giveaways appear to be trying to draw attention because they can't get bring the press to conventions in these uncertain times.

Re: Tim Sweeney on Digital Ownership
Jul 22, 2020, 23:42
Re: Tim Sweeney on Digital Ownership Jul 22, 2020, 23:42
Jul 22, 2020, 23:42

Shouldn't we be celebrating that we're hearing something like this from someone who has a serious chance at disrupting the digital marketplace and making this happen?

Hearing this and seeing some collaboration between Epic and GOG seems like great news. Especially because of how well what he's saying lines up with that GOG have been offering with GOG Connect for a while now.

I get that it's two-faced to be saying this while claiming so many exclusive for the EGS... but Epic can't negotiate the sort of vision that Sweeney is talking about if the EGS has no market share.

I'm hopeful for a GOG Connect like announcement from Epic in the near future ("we've been talking to publishers, and if you own one of their games on Steam you can have it on the EGS").

Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Adds
Jul 21, 2020, 05:43
Re: GOG GALAXY 2.0 Adds Jul 21, 2020, 05:43
Jul 21, 2020, 05:43

Solemn-Philosopher wrote on Jul 20, 2020, 13:58:
I really like the GOG Galaxy Platform. I don't connect it to Steam, but I've been using it to bring together all the free games I've grabbed from the other various storefronts.

The Steam integration has been pretty patchy for me (almost never syncs achievements), but after adding all of the storefronts (and other purchases manually, if required) it's stopped me from inadvertently buying games I'd already received for free or in a bundle. I find it useful for that even if I use the Steam launcher for most of my activity.

Re: On Sale
Jul 4, 2020, 09:05
Re: On Sale Jul 4, 2020, 09:05
Jul 4, 2020, 09:05

I'm not sure why the subscription page is so mysterious, the full list of games is available on their July 2020 page without registration.

Interesting selection this month, none of them were on my wishlist but I'm looking forward to playing a few (especially Basingstoke).

Re: The Witcher 3 Owners Get Free Copy on GOG.com
Jun 17, 2020, 04:30
Re: The Witcher 3 Owners Get Free Copy on GOG.com Jun 17, 2020, 04:30
Jun 17, 2020, 04:30

Orogogus wrote on Jun 16, 2020, 15:13:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Jun 16, 2020, 14:36:
Well, I just use the scroll bar + separate by assigned tags. That's not really the full answer you're looking for, the PgUp/PgDn thing is annoying, I agree, but You can at least separate your games a little by the Sort by Tags feature. Tags are assigned manually. Currently I have my list broken up into basically Finished Games, Backlog, New to Me, then you can hide those tabs here and there to speed up any searching you have to do. Installed is its own separate category on the left obviously, so that further breaks it down. But yes, the overall sorting and movement in the list needs to be improved. There is also the built in Filter in GOG Galaxy, but your mileage may vary with that. A bigger scroll bar would help, as would assigning PgUp/PgDn in list view. Galaxy does have a feedback button in there, under the top left Gear icon, "Share Feedback," I'd recommend sending them a brief polite note, I've done a couple for similar reasons.

Yeah, I've left feedback through the button. It just seems strange that I never see anyone else with this complaint. Everyone likes GOG Galaxy to see all their games in one place, but actually browsing through those games seems very difficult. I'm always wondering if I'm missing something.

If you have a filter on the tags you want, you can use the bookmark button (at the top, just next to back/forward) to save it as a bookmark that's visible on the left side of the screen. I have my to do list all tagged as "To Do" and then a filter on that tag bookmarked, so all I need to do is click it in the sidebar and I'm good to go.

My pile of shame is large enough that nothing other than my to do list and a few favourites really matter, so that design works pretty well for me.

Re: Tabletop Playground Early Access
May 16, 2020, 04:52
Re: Tabletop Playground Early Access May 16, 2020, 04:52
May 16, 2020, 04:52

El Presidente, I'm probably wrong about this again, but do you need an affiliate tag on that humble store link?

This looks really promising, though with a minimum listed requirement of a GTX 760 that probably knocks out half of the people I play TTS with.

Re: Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2 Remaster Announced
May 13, 2020, 01:05
Re: Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 and 2 Remaster Announced May 13, 2020, 01:05
May 13, 2020, 01:05

bhcompy wrote on May 12, 2020, 17:04:
Yea, THPS and SSX basically covered that arcadey middle ground that was fun to play, fun to do multiplayer(either competing at the same time or sequentially), and were easy to spend just 20 minutes in rather than a deeper session investment that most games require these days, etc

This is a nice summary of most of the sports games that I really enjoyed between 1995 and 2005. By the time I've recovered from the anxiety of choosing my character stats in a recent NBA 2kwhatever I could have had several games of NBA Live '95.

Re: On Sale
May 8, 2020, 21:12
Re: On Sale May 8, 2020, 21:12
May 8, 2020, 21:12

Heads-up: that Sierra bundle doesn't have the affiliate tag in the URL.

There seems to be a lot of overlapping content in recent Humble Bundles, but the LotR card game played well enough on the Xbox Game Pass and will be nice to have on PC. And I can choose how much of the money goes to Blue's News!

This comment was edited on May 8, 2020, 23:34.

Re: Out of the Blue
May 8, 2020, 21:06
Re: Out of the Blue May 8, 2020, 21:06
May 8, 2020, 21:06

Thanks to the new moderators for volunteering! Hopefully the community makes it an easy job, and it stays that way.

Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA
Apr 29, 2020, 08:32
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 08:32
Apr 29, 2020, 08:32

From memory, linking my Epic account with Authy was painless and secure.

Epic used to email me every time someone tried to log in as me unsuccessfully without 2FA enabled, which is what finally convinced me to set it up. This seems like a pretty good incentive too.

Re: Op Ed
Apr 25, 2020, 04:27
Re: Op Ed Apr 25, 2020, 04:27
Apr 25, 2020, 04:27

Orogogus wrote on Apr 25, 2020, 03:05:
It seems to me that outside of the headline, VentureBeat forgot to quote or even paraphrase the part where Sweeney actually talked about iOS being worse.

Looking at the recording I'm not sure I see the bit where he actually says it's "worse", just "different" (how apropos).

Excerpt, immediately after the "fake open system" comment about Android:

Apple's approach is different and Apple is honest about it - they say this is a closed platform, you can only distribute apps through us and all transactions have to go through a 30% payment processing fee, and you know they justify that based on security reasons but it's not really honest.

The core of security on an OS is two things. It's number one the ability for the ability for the operating systems kernel to implement permissions based security and ensure that apps can't do anything that users don't authorise them to do. Apple is the best in the world, they could open up their platform tomorrow and it would still remain perfectly secure.

In fact, Apple does operate an open platform around iOS - they have this enterprise program in which any enterprise customer can install any app from their enterprise just by white-listing their enterprise signing certificate. But the small thing preventing that from being used for consumer apps is just a contract term that says "you're not allowed to do that".

I think the next step that has to happen with mobile platforms is first of all, fully opening up so that every publisher who wants can launch their own store on the platform and it operates technically within the operating system on equal terms to the platform's own store.

And number two, even these stores which have massive market share - the iOS App Store and Google Play - need to open up to support publisher-controlled payment services so that every payment processor - from Zola to Mastercard to VISA and PayPal - can each compete on an open playing field for payments.

I expect the only reason that Epic put out that kind of grudging acceptance of defeat to Google Play but not for the App Store is that Apple's been building that walled garden for decades and it wasn't possible to mount a challenge against them in the first place.

Edit: Reflecting on that presentation has improved my opinion of the Epic Games Store quite a bit. I still prefer the GOG / Humble DRM free distribution model though.

This comment was edited on Apr 25, 2020, 05:18.

Apr 25, 2020, 00:23
Re: Op Ed Apr 25, 2020, 00:23
Apr 25, 2020, 00:23

Cutter wrote on Apr 24, 2020, 21:48:
you don't have to use Steam anymore. Point in fact, you never had to.

This article - and Epic's statement - are entirely about the Google Play store. We're not yet at the point where you can only use the Windows Store without disabling confusing OS security settings.

Apr 24, 2020, 21:13
Re: Op Ed Apr 24, 2020, 21:13
Apr 24, 2020, 21:13

That's unfortunate, but not surprising. Side-loading apps can be a pain and I wouldn't expect a novice user to be comfortable doing it.

I'd really appreciate a competitive app store for Android:

• The Humble Android app has no app storefront, is fiddly, and many devs never update their games
  • Fdroid has always felt a bit sketchy
  • Manufacturer storefronts (including Amazon's) have always seemed like a money grab rather than any genuine attempt to be competitive

Re: Free and Free-to-Play Games Roundup
Apr 17, 2020, 22:59
Re: Free and Free-to-Play Games Roundup Apr 17, 2020, 22:59
Apr 17, 2020, 22:59

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 17, 2020, 21:58:
Domgrief wrote on Apr 17, 2020, 21:51:
In Epic's case I believe they provide a kickback to the publisher depending on if (how much?) the free game is actually played.
What makes you think the payment is based on time played?

Good question - it made sense at the time I heard or read it (if it's never played it's probably not a lost sale for the publisher), but I can't find a source for that.

The only mention of revenue I can find is from PC Magazine:

If you're wondering how Epic manages to keep the free games flowing, it's because developers get paid for them. As Sweeney explains, "Epic pays each developer or publisher for the opportunity to distribute their game free for a week. The paid amounts are negotiated to ensure that the developer gains more from the Epic payment and resulting new customer influx than they would expect to lose in paid sales as the result of the free week."

Maybe it's a fixed amount based on how well the game normally sells.

Re: Free and Free-to-Play Games Roundup
Apr 17, 2020, 21:51
Re: Free and Free-to-Play Games Roundup Apr 17, 2020, 21:51
Apr 17, 2020, 21:51

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 17, 2020, 21:14:
Cutter wrote on Apr 17, 2020, 19:49:
For all the money Steam makes you'd think they could spring for at least something halfway decent for once.

Cutter... because Steam owns all the stuff on Steam right? Come on now, put the box of wine down and pay attention...

I expect Steam's current freebies are probably all set by the publishers, but I believe other storefronts offering free games (the Epic Games Store in particular, but likely GOG and Humble Store too) are done by arrangement between the platform and the publisher. In Epic's case I believe they provide a kickback to the publisher depending on if (how much?) the free game is actually played.

So there's no precedent for it, but for all of the money Steam makes they really could spring for something halfway decent.

Re: Xbox PC App for Windows 10 Preview
Apr 15, 2020, 10:45
Re: Xbox PC App for Windows 10 Preview Apr 15, 2020, 10:45
Apr 15, 2020, 10:45

Performance of the Xbox app is abysmal, but that's not a big deal compared to the pain of dealing with the storefront itself, or worse, installing and trying to use a game delivered via the Microsoft Store (mods or launching via steam are both a mess, and controllers don't work via steam link).

The Xbox Game Pass is a pretty good deal, but I dislike the whole experience so much that at this point I'd rather just buy my games elsewhere.

Re: Evening Crowdfunding
Apr 11, 2020, 05:26
Re: Evening Crowdfunding Apr 11, 2020, 05:26
Apr 11, 2020, 05:26

Agreed. I'll take a punt on Commander '85.

I'm less sold on the old school racer. There's a lot of focus on owning my own private island and virtual mansion and I don't remember that as a core game mechanic of Outrun.
233 Comments. 12 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ] Older