Total Posts
345 (Amateur)
User ID
Search For:
Sort Results:
Ascending
Descending
Limit Results:

345 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 11.
Newer [  1    3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ] Older

Re: Mac Counter-Strike Source Next Week
Jun 18, 2010, 09:30
Re: Mac Counter-Strike Source Next Week Jun 18, 2010, 09:30
Jun 18, 2010, 09:30

Sweet! Now all I need is the Left 4 Dead series and I can nuke my Windows partition.

Performance could be better. The same hardware runs the game slower in OS X, but at least Apple has line of sight to improvements (working with the video card vendors as well as Valve).

Borderlands would be nice, too...
Playing: Overwatch, FFXIV, Ion Fury
Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev

Re: Avatar Game Sells Well
May 20, 2010, 09:46
Re: Avatar Game Sells Well May 20, 2010, 09:46
May 20, 2010, 09:46

The only thing that set the movie apart from every other Bruckheimer/Bay CGI explosion fest was that it had no comic relief. When shit is blowing up and people are dying, nothing ruins the mood faster than some out of place character popping some comic relief.

For that alone, it deserves the praise.

Re: Saturday Mobilization
Apr 3, 2010, 13:57
Re: Saturday Mobilization Apr 3, 2010, 13:57
Apr 3, 2010, 13:57

haters I love the iPad... this little thing is badass!

Re: PC & Xbox 360 Mouse
Mar 22, 2010, 13:02
Re: PC & Xbox 360 Mouse Mar 22, 2010, 13:02
Mar 22, 2010, 13:02

According to the website there is no WASD component -- it's literally a nunchuck with an analog stick.

Weak.

Re: More Valve Mac Clues
Mar 3, 2010, 21:28
Re: More Valve Mac Clues Mar 3, 2010, 21:28
Mar 3, 2010, 21:28

WaltC wrote on Mar 3, 2010, 19:12:
Really, the concept is sort of bizarre as OS X now includes a standard utility that allows any Mac user to install Windows 7 (or Vista or XP) and run it natively on a Mac--it's called Bootcamp. Since today's Macs literally are standard Intel "PCs" running an x86 version of OS X, running Windows 7 on today's Mac is a perfectly normal expectation and event. It's ironic to think that for today's x86 Macs Windows is actually a whole hell of a lot more compatible than Apple's Classic PPC OS of yesterday--which probably won't run on an x86 Mac at all, except *maybe* through a VM, and then not very well at all.

Anybody who has bought an x86 Mac in the last few of *years* can install Windows and run it natively, already, and so Steam is already available to them. Seems like somewhat of a waste of time and resources for Valve to develop for OS X since because Apple has tied OS X exclusively to Mac hardware the OS X market is always going to be teeny-tiny compared to the Windows market, a market which serves the open international x86 hardware markets--and Windows is as much at home on today's Mac as is OS X.

The minute that Apple transitioned the Mac to Intel x86 the "difference" between a "mac" and a "pc" simply ceased to be from a hardware perspective. That's what makes Apple's continuing "I'm a Mac--He's a PC" ads so silly--because they are *all* "PCs" now...;) The major only hardware difference between "Macs" and "PCs'" these days
is that Macs are restricted to Intel cpus and core logic, whereas all other PC makers can offer you your choice of Intel or AMD cpus and core logic hardware.

For me, the superiority has always come from the operating system and the accessibility it provides. Apple has always lagged behind in hardware, short of standards adoption. They pioneered Firewire and USB, and recently have brought Displayport to the forefront.

I never bought into the PowerPC lie. It may be a better architecture on paper but that never translated to tangible benefits. The only thing setting it apart was AltiVec, and that gap was closed with SSE.

It's the workflow of the operating system that is the biggest difference. The ease of use and stability are huge factors. I am an IT professional... just because I know how to troubleshoot a system and fix drivers, poorly written software, and buggy browsers doesn't mean I want to... especially on my free time. Plugging devices in and having them integrate seamlessly into the "experience" means a lot to me.

As I've moved more into development, I've come to appreciate the SDK. You are given, for free, a world class set of tools with which to write software. Instruments is INCREDIBLE. Xcode is great, and Apples documentation is next to none. Cocoa and Objective-C are much more elegant and understandable than the .NET clusterfuck in my eyes. To each his own... the benefit of such an elegant development environment is overshadowed by having a smaller market to deliver software to.

There's been a lot of buzz recently about Apples progress on fully supporting OpenGL 3.0 (http://www.macrumors.com/2010/01/12/apple-progressing-toward-full-support-for-opengl-3-0-in-mac-os-x-10-6-3/) and I can't help but think Apple has been working behind the scenes quite a bit since hiring Graeme Devine as their gaming evangelist for the iPhone and OS X platforms. Getting Valves support is huge!

But I digress -- to the point of the thread:

Running Windows on a Mac through bootcamp is disruptive -- you have to close out of any apps you have running, reboot (and for an OS X user, that isn't a common thing) and boot into Windows, play your game, then return to OS X in similar fashion. Most bootcamp installs are simply shells for a single purpose... typically games. Anyone using bootcamp for a legacy application is better off with VMWare Fusion or Parallels.

But my point is that bootcamp is a pain in the ass.

Not to mention to do it legitimately requires a Windows license.

Having a native client means you can play games at your leisure without having to disrupt any other activity, integrate it with your daily routine and not have to close out 30 project windows when you need a short breather to mow down some Zombies.

This isn't hurting anyone, and it will certainly serve only to further both platforms in my eyes.

Mar 3, 2010, 18:59
Re: More Valve Mac Clues Mar 3, 2010, 18:59
Mar 3, 2010, 18:59

L4D is coming, so welcome to 2008. And if L4D2 is coming, welcome to 2009. TF2 is still played. Source engine being ported also means it is a short putt to bring CS:Source to the platform as well.

Maybe it is welcome to 1999, but 1999 is alive and well in 2010.

Mar 3, 2010, 18:58
Re: More Valve Mac Clues Mar 3, 2010, 18:58
Mar 3, 2010, 18:58

This is AWESOME.

Re: Glitch hits PlayStation Network users worldwide.
Mar 1, 2010, 14:14
Re: Glitch hits PlayStation Network users worldwide. Mar 1, 2010, 14:14
Mar 1, 2010, 14:14

It's a clock issue and is locking games out... fucking weak.

Re: Morning Consolidation
Feb 26, 2010, 11:16
Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 26, 2010, 11:16
Feb 26, 2010, 11:16

This Pachter guy is a douche

Re: OSX Steam Coming?
Feb 25, 2010, 01:04
Re: OSX Steam Coming? Feb 25, 2010, 01:04
Feb 25, 2010, 01:04

Keep laughin' assholes

Re: Qtest Retrospective
Feb 24, 2010, 22:47
Re: Qtest Retrospective Feb 24, 2010, 22:47
Feb 24, 2010, 22:47

I never felt happier about owning a Pentium 60 than the moment QTest landed on FTP.CDROM.COM.

Re: etc.
Feb 18, 2010, 10:29
Re: etc. Feb 18, 2010, 10:29
Feb 18, 2010, 10:29

The Riddick games were phenomenal. I enjoyed the movies, too. They weren't earth shattering masterpieces that rewrote the book on how to do SciFi... but they were fun, entertaining movies. I can get behind that.

Re: On Ubisoft's Online DRM
Feb 17, 2010, 21:06
Re: On Ubisoft's Online DRM Feb 17, 2010, 21:06
Feb 17, 2010, 21:06

I paid 1.99 for rainbow six vegas 2 and still felt ripped off. Shit widescreen support, shit mouse support, terrible game over all. Ubisoft is useless

Re: Morning Mobilization
Feb 5, 2010, 12:51
Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 5, 2010, 12:51
Feb 5, 2010, 12:51

Google has been a day late and a dollar short competing with Apple recently... the Android platform is a bust, and their Nexus One phone has a few huge misses. They seem to get so close to a great product, and then lose interest... they're the corporate worlds perfect representation of ADHD.

I'm excited about the iPad. I have a $250 netbook. It's terrible for browsing. It's terrible for any kind of gaming (think Doom here folks). It's terrible for AIM. It's just... terrible. Having an iPhone and knowing how the interface deals with restrictive screen space gives me confidence that the iPad will make good on its promise of being a nice mobile media device. It's not a computer. It's not something I'm going to write code, design web content, or do anything more than light browsing and iChat/Email on. And neither is a netbook. Worst spent money, ever. I don't normally regret technology purchases under $1000, but I certainly regret that one

If XP Home was a little more tolerant of incredibly low resolutions, it might be more viable. Without slaving it to a standalone monitor, I refuse to believe anyone who says they "love" using their netbook.

By the way, I'm selling a Lenovo S10 with 1.5gb of RAM. Perfect condition, light use! $250!

This comment was edited on Feb 5, 2010, 12:54.

Re: Happy Birthday id Software
Feb 2, 2010, 00:30
Re: Happy Birthday id Software Feb 2, 2010, 00:30
Feb 2, 2010, 00:30

To celebrate, I'm porting the Doom iPhone source over to the iPad. Happy birthday, id!

Re: Apple iPad Announced
Jan 27, 2010, 15:46
Re: Apple iPad Announced Jan 27, 2010, 15:46
Jan 27, 2010, 15:46

Not really reading the thread, but adding my own source of excitement over this:

The App store. It enables the independent moonlighting developer, and the provided toolkit & SDK is top notch. I haven't worked with an easier to use set of tools that still remains incredibly powerful... developing for the iPhone is definitely a great experience, especially coming from java and other mobile platforms. Even Googles Android SDK doesn't compare to what Apple has put together for the iPhone.

And now the platform and functionality available through the SDK is being broadened. What's not to get excited about? Hardcore users are going to shy away from the device, but it's going to find widespread adoption and become a pretty awesome travel companion. I'm getting one, that's for sure. And I'm certainly going to port my apps over to the native resolution of the iPad.

Re: Into the Black
Jan 26, 2010, 09:10
Re: Into the Black Jan 26, 2010, 09:10
Jan 26, 2010, 09:10

My favorite band of all time. This is sad, but happy, news. Hope they enjoy retirement, and I'm glad for all the kick ass music they gave us.

Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects
Jan 7, 2010, 13:13
Re: Blomkamp on District 9 Video Game Prospects Jan 7, 2010, 13:13
Jan 7, 2010, 13:13

When I saw the Halo 3 short movies, I always thought that someone needed to give this guy a budget and a shot at a full film.

I saw District 9 not realizing it was done by him until googling the name after the credits and making the connection. Fucking excellent.

Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 DLC on 360 First?
Jan 7, 2010, 10:17
Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 DLC on 360 First? Jan 7, 2010, 10:17
Jan 7, 2010, 10:17

Was it Activision or EA that complained supporting the PS3 early on was a major cause of weak profits? Either way, not surprised to see this...

Re: GameStop Financials
Jan 7, 2010, 10:09
Re: GameStop Financials Jan 7, 2010, 10:09
Jan 7, 2010, 10:09

When has anything GameStop related made sense? It's the only chain in the world I'd love to see fail. They hire shlubs who are condescending little fucktard knowitalls, they sell terrible products, remove games from their cases and sell them at full retail, carry a shit selection, peddle used games at a ridiculous price, damnit I could go on. Useless waste of brick and mortar.

When Guitar Hero 2 came out on the 360, the kid scoffed at me that I hadn't preordered it. He started ranting and raving that I'd never find a copy in a million years. Best Buy had them pyramid stacked 15 high. Good job kid.

And when they push the preorder system so much you'd at least expect they get that shit right. I prepaid for Rock Band full kit, went to the midnight release... and all they had was the guitar version. Not even a my bad, we fucked up. Useless fuckbags.

So many horror stories with this troupe of douchebags. Best to avoid. The only case where I'd willingly give wal-mart business over another.

/rant
//nerdrage
345 Comments. 18 pages. Viewing page 11.
Newer [  1    3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ] Older