Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:

User information for Kevin

Real Name Kevin   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname |RaptoR|
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
Description Xbox Live: Heinekev
PSN: Heinekev
Homepage http://www.generallystupid.com
Signed On May 22, 2003, 22:47
Total Comments 335 (Amateur)
User ID 17169

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
26. Re: Out of the Blue Jun 11, 2013, 16:51 |RaptoR|

People have very short memories. Sony is out for the early "HOORAY" and support.

Remember backwards compatibility on the PS3 and how that was flushed down the toilet 6 months later?

How about Linux and an open platform?

Publishers have been given access to the technology and will pressure Sony to comply. I expect (and the rumblings already indicate as much, with Sony saying DRM will be up to publishers in a follow up) that this tech will be on the PS4 within a year.

Playing: Overwatch, FFXIV, Ion Fury
Xbox Live: Heinekev
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Chasm Kickstarted; Demo Available
2. Re: Chasm Kickstarted; Demo Available May 6, 2013, 13:40 |RaptoR|

There was an old school shooter named Chasm. It was pretty beast back in the day. I got excited for a follow up for a moment there... this looks pretty spiffy too, I suppose.  

News Comments > John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support
30. Re: John Carmack On Linux Gaming Support Feb 6, 2013, 11:18 |RaptoR|

yuastnav wrote on Feb 6, 2013, 11:01:
Yes, a web browser version of a game from 1999 that caters to the decreasing number of gamers who like extremly fast twitch shooters is a honest try.

Riiiight.

The reason why I am not playing Quake Live that often IS because it's a browser plugin. Playing ioquake is much more efficient and much easier than playing Quake Live.

Quake, Quake 2, and Quake 3 had native linux binaries, but it's cool to focus on a browser-based version of Quake 3 to drive home your (invalid) point

News Comments > Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines
24. Re: Gone Gold - Aliens: Colonial Marines Jan 16, 2013, 20:38 |RaptoR|

played it at pax three times. aliens are not slow or helpless lol marines won maybe once the entire convention  

30. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 14:37 |RaptoR|

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 13:54:
Mhh, I did not know that. I expected when Obama got all this coverage for his Obamacare.. the comments meant something like Healthcare Insurance we have here in Germany. Or is it really the case that Germany got the best healthcare system in the world? I mean the system here is pretty.. well, expensive (in a sense, you can call it a sort of income tax) but nobody here is ever financially ruined because he fell ill. Though it will definitely be a financially drain on you if you end up requiring 10 different prescriptions that are non-standard (ie, not under coverage) and you end up requiring the social security payments (they are relatively low).

Mhh, this makes me realize that you Americans must have misunderstand my rant then. To me, going to work with flu is a CHOICE you have to MAKE. It is not something you *have* to do or that someone can force you to do. But if you are not insured for the lost income then... wow that is retarded. How come there is no rebellion yet?

I still hate all humans hehe, but at lest I can understand why you go to work with flu now.

For your understanding, if you have a real flu (not a cold, an actual proper flu) any doctor in Germany will give you a week off from work. This is also why Germany tends not to have large epidemics... at some point people get worried and go to a doctor who blanket takes them off work. But if you are signed out by a doctor you should really take that serious, and not make a vacation, throw parties or dance naked on your balcony, you can get fired for that ;p

By the way, there are some rules to that insurance obviously.. but I am not entirely sure what they are.. I never was sick for longer than a week. Only once, but that was before my working (or freelancing) days... ^^

This makes me so jealous of the rest of the world

Definitely not the case here in the US. We are given a set number of sick days a year... at GE, it was 14. Because that number is so low, most people don't take off for "trivial" illnesses like the flu because it leaves them exposed if they run into something a little more serious.

Some companies don't give any sick days at all (Charter Communications) and instead you are forced to take your vacation time (which is VERY limited, Charter only gives 7 days a year).

If you're out longer than that (say you need an invasive surgery), you'll go on short term disability and you get a fraction of your actual pay. For most who make only a little more than the cost of living, this is not a viable option.

Obamacare solves a lot of things as far as getting insurance for people, but it doesn't fundamentally change the way medical care is given in the states. Qualifying for insurance in the states means you have to be 100% healthy or you'll get extorted, and a lot of pre-existing conditions are excluded anyway.

The vast majority of health insurance in the states is provided by your employer. It's not financially reasonable to obtain insurance without the group discounts an employer provides. So if you are laid off or go without work for 2-3 months, your insurance lapses. For someone that has a condition like diabetes or high blood pressure, getting insurance becomes an incredible nightmare. You will be denied for pre-existing conditions OR your illness won't be covered, and that's just downright criminal. Obamacare effectively forces insurance companies into covering patients with pre-existing conditions.

We may have some of the best surgeons and doctors in the world, but the cost is insanity. Early on in my career, I had a kidney stone surgery that cost me $12,000 for a half-day stay in the hospital and lithotripsy treatment. That is WITH INSURANCE. It's a nightmare and being unfortunate enough to have an illness or be in an accident, you're looking at potential financial ruin.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Jan 10, 2013, 13:18 |RaptoR|

eRe4s3r wrote on Jan 10, 2013, 09:50:
I would be for a severe fine to anyone going to work with a flu... (Also, anyone saying they can't tell a flu from a cold, bullshit!!) IF you can't tell feeling like death and feeling like a running nose apart you shouldn't even be qualified to live.

God damn, I hate humans. (And as I learned from reading stuff by psychologists, that's normal)

There is such a negative stigma associated with sick leave in the US that most people don't take it unless they're dying. No one wants to deal with that.

For me, that's been the culture at NetGain, Halliburton, and General Electric. Having worked in those places for a collective 12 years, that culture has carried over to my work at Wizards of the Coast. Even though this company isn't like that, I find myself writing this from my desk at while plagued with the flu.

News Comments > Morning Safety Dance
9. Re: Morning Safety Dance Dec 17, 2012, 14:30 |RaptoR|

LesCaster wrote on Dec 17, 2012, 14:23:
I'm pretty certain had Westboro Baptist Church been active back in the day, the authors of the First Amendment probably would've rethought their position on the matter. Picketing at the funeral of murdered children in front of their grieving parents should never be protected under any circumstances. I have no problem with anybody who wants prevent that from happening, First Amendment be damned.

seriously, if this is what the first amendment is protecting then to hell with it

News Comments > New Space Hulk Game Next Year
11. Re: New Space Hulk Game Next Year Dec 11, 2012, 02:54 |RaptoR|

This is the most disappointing announcement this year. Why didn't they let Relic handle such a great opportunity? Most times, a game supporting iOS is enough to kill it from the start.

Sigh. I wanted for so long a real successor to Space Hulk. My post history can back that up.

Here's hoping for a miracle

News Comments > Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games
33. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 20:34 |RaptoR|

PropheT wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 20:19:
|RaptoR| wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 16:03:
This. Fantasy is just another elves/orcs mashup in a genre already filled to the brim with that. 40k is actually unique in comparison

It has elves and dwarves, but it's one of the most unique and fleshed out iterations of that sort that's out there. There's a lot of history and lore there in an actual dark fantasy world that doesn't just sit back on the cliches you see elsewhere. 40k is just a sci-fi take on the same formula, the same races, the same gods, and everything else from Fantasy anyway. The things that make 40k unique were already in Fantasy and just adapted to the sci-fi setting.

I don't disagree, my only comment there is that the traditional fantasy genre has grown tired to me and many others. Each has their own unique take on it (for the most part), but it still is the same core idea.

29. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 19:26 |RaptoR|

PHJF wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 17:44:
The narrative was also one of the best I've seen in a W40K game. When I first saw the game I just thought it was going to be a crappy console action game but that's mainly because they marketed it really badly.

Then you haven't played a good console action game (there are a shitload of these btw) because Space Marine was terrible.

Devil May Cry, God of War, Darksiders, Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden, Lords of Shadow, Dragon's Dogma, Arkham City... off the top of my head. Space Marine is shit next to any one of these. All the fuckload of lore, enemy races, and weapons of 40K and somehow none of it ends up in Space Marine except three ork units, a handful of chaos, and jumpjets.

I am kind of a WH40k fanboy. I don't judge, but it sounds like you didn't finish Space Marine.

From a lore and story standpoint, it was rich and accurate. The Ultramarines chapter is fanatically strict. Playing through the game felt wrong in that context, because events in the narrative. The ending shows that Relic and the writers intended this, and that it was a well executed major plot point.

In WH40K novelizations, Space Marines are always put into impossible situations and that's the glory of it. Legion of the Damned, for example. The game really did a good job faithfully recreating a massive war and planetary assault. It also conveyed the hopelessness of the WH40K universe very well.

Space Marines are considered demigods, angels, etc... and I felt that plowing through thousands of orks really drove that home.

The games mechanic was repetitive, I'll concede that much. But having a worse narrative than DMC, Heavenly Sword? That's insanity. It's far more rich than either of those.

At the end of the day, I bought the game on both the Xbox and the PC. And I thoroughly enjoyed both. I got my moneys worth, and would love a sequel or continuation.

If they'd make a Space Hulk game in similar fashion, I could die a happy man

edit: I missed your point about not leveraging the wide range of units and weapons available to them. I agree, you're right. My fault

22. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 16:05 |RaptoR|

Prez wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 15:36:
I must be weird but I loved Space Marine. The action was visceral and intense, and combat was satisfyingly brutal and meaty, and the jumpack sections never got old.

Space Marine is still one of my favorite games. It did a good job capturing the mass chaos of battle depicted in the 40k fiction

It was repetitive, but that's a good thing, because it was fun. And the multiplayer was (and still is) a blast. The satisfaction of smashing someone with the hammer never gets old

21. Re: Creative Assembly Making Warhammer Games Dec 6, 2012, 16:03 |RaptoR|

ViRGE wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 13:37:
PropheT wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 12:40:
PHJF wrote on Dec 6, 2012, 11:06:
Nobody FUCKING CARES about WH, do 40K and do it more justice than that PIECE OF SHIT SPACE MARINE.

I like Warhammer fantasy, 40k bores the shit out of me.
Funny. I like 40K, while Fantasy bores the shit out of me.

This. Fantasy is just another elves/orcs mashup in a genre already filled to the brim with that. 40k is actually unique in comparison

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic
43. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 4, 2012, 20:15 |RaptoR|

4D-Boxing wrote on Oct 4, 2012, 12:37:
@ RAPTOR

Blaming a company for focusing on a successful platform?!?!?!
LOL people can tell themselves that if it makes them feel better. People hate the guy because he said a lot of BS. The guy just had to think before opening his mouth.

Its not hard to look up the comments, Google is your friend..
From there you'll be able see who made this personal.

Good for Epic but bad for the Thailand's ladyboys..

Specific citations please, because all I can find is a bunch of boasting that EVERY designer does in the media when given the opportunity.

edit: and if all you have against this dude is his transition to the xbox under the guise of PC piracy (which is overstated but still valid), with other contributions to gaming be damned... then you're just being unreasonable.

Regarding platform profitability: Epic was big with Unreal and UT. Epic is HUGE post-xbox. I mean, that's pretty telling.

This comment was edited on Oct 4, 2012, 20:26.

News Comments > Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic
21. Re: Cliff Bleszinski Leaves Epic Oct 3, 2012, 21:18 |RaptoR|

killer_roach wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 20:19:
Rattlehead wrote on Oct 3, 2012, 19:58:
Lot's of haters here, all less successful.

You'd think he somehow wronged all of these people personally...

...yes, Gears of War is a least-common-denominator cash grab, but it's a successful cash grab that a lot of people (although, clearly, few here) seem to enjoy, and Cliff seemed to enjoy making it.

In the grand scheme of things, that's all you can really hope for. Best of luck to him in any future projects, haters be damned.

Basically this. Cliff worked on some of the most memorable games in my lifetime.

The dude has earned his ego, imo. Him and Tim Sweeney are old school, and you can't blame a company for focusing on a profitable platform. It's not like there was a vendetta against PC gaming, it's just that the Xbox provided the opportunity and Epic seized it. Gaming companies are businesses after all, and you are lying to yourself if you think any of these indie studios would say no to Sony or Microsoft if they were approached to make an exclusive, AAA title on their platform. Straight up.

Common sense aside, the original Unreal ranks among my top 10 all time. Fuck did that game set my imagination off wild. I enjoyed the hell out of Gears of War 1-3, and I barely played the online component outside of mostly friend-populated games or horde mode. They were the publisher of One Must Fall 2097, which I dumped endless hours into on my old 486 DX2 66Mhz. Beast game.

Love it or hate it, Gears of War is a triple-A title that pioneered a lot of things. Horde mode, the off-set third person perspective, an engaging (if shallow) storyline, and remarkable characters (whether or not you loved/hated them, they're memorable and invoke emotion).

And let's not forget Epics charity to the very hostile industry they are in. CliffyB >did< have a lot to do with this. Epic took under their wing a struggling studio (PCF) with a lot of talent but little direction. They then salvaged the big huge games clusterfuck by forming Epic Montreal and hiring most of the original team at BHG. That is some really stand-up shit in an industry full of volatility, hate, and a lack of creativity. Epic is a shining star in an industry populated by Zynga, EA, Activision... and we're out here roasting their lead designer because he's got a little bit of an ego? WTF? This fucker deserves props for his role in saving those jobs ALONE, not including his other contributions to the industry.

Honestly, what is there to hate aside from a dude who was pumped about his games and maybe a little over zealous about his skill and influence?

Aside from being someone who has old school roots, Cliffy was also a great marketing personality. Not unlike Steve Jobs, though I'm not comparing their achievements. They both knew how to get face time with the media and free attention to their titles. He used his outgoing and egotistical personality for that. Dude is vocal, gets material written on him for free, and gets interviews to spout marketing jive. Hate the game, not the player. What he did worked.

This comment was edited on Oct 3, 2012, 21:25.

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
3. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 26, 2012, 15:40 |RaptoR|

Ah, I didn't catch that. That's one hell of a launch window  

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
1. Re: Morning Consolidation Sep 26, 2012, 13:25 |RaptoR|

that launch list includes aliens: colonial marines, which at PAX was billed as not being available until late q1 / early q2 next year

News Comments > DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer
20. Re: DOOM 3 BFG Edition: No PC DOOM/DOOM II Multiplayer Sep 5, 2012, 15:11 |RaptoR|

This decision is the right one. The Doom online community is fragmented between source ports as is. Writing in tcp/ip multiplayer would probably be trivial but would further diminish the already small and fragmented PC Doom community.

To the commenter that posted about playing with a stock installation: the bone stock implementation of Doom multiplayer required an external program to launch and connect and did not support routable communication protocols. Odamex and Zdoom/ZDaemon are the way to go now, since they have a matchmaking service component and support tcp/ip.

It makes sense that they're adding support to the consoles simply because those platforms provide a uniform matchmaking standard and DONT already have reasonable options.

27. Re: Out of the Blue May 12, 2012, 01:42 |RaptoR|

sauron wrote on May 11, 2012, 21:03:
Cutter wrote on May 11, 2012, 15:42:
Silicon Avatar wrote on May 11, 2012, 14:49:
The point is that when our most educated people aren't getting work it discourages people to get more education overall. That's not good. Filling up trade schools with overqualified people isn't going to help the economy or the country overall.

You want the smartest people out exercising their talents in your country, not spraying lawns and fitting pipes - or wandering off to other countries where they are paid for their knowledge.

You could replace the lady in the article with any number of PhDs in hard sciences who can't find jobs right now. I know one personally.

Well they should be spraying lawns and fitting pipes if that's where the money is. We live in an overpopulated world that's only getting worse. You've got a slew of Asian countries churning out MAs and PhDs like they're going out of style, so how do you compete with it? You don't because even for them there are limited roles for all those various degrees. Having a degree does not, nor should it, guarentee you a job in your field of choice. Like everything else in life, you need to earn it, and that means more than a degree.

Meanwhile where we actually need people - trades, agriculture, etc. - people aren't going. They'd rather sit around unemployed feeling entitled and angry at the system. I know plenty of tradesmen making 100K+ a year and they're not killing themselves doing it either. And lastly, people shouldn't be having kids unless they know they can support them. What I see these people as are wholly selfish and irresponsible. And then they wonder why they end up where they are.

No offense, and I generally enjoy your contributions to the Blues community, but you're coming off as kind of strident on this and there are several long posts which are rather aggressive.

Do you have a degree? If so, why the hostility?

The entitlement that degree holders have is insane. I agree with sentiments in this thread that college doesn't prepare people for working in the real world. My own experience (as someone who does technical interviews as one aspect of my job) is that people with a degree look down on those without, generally lack the skills required, and demand a higher salary.

It boils down to entitlement.

The lady in the article has a Ph D in medieval history. I mean, come on. What the fuck did you expect? After 100k and 10 years of school did you not once think what you were going to do post-graduation? Did you ever consider return on your investment?

There was a huge debate over dinner a few nights ago. We're all late 20's/early 30's, and there are two people unemployed. They both hold liberal arts degrees. They complain about lack of opportunity and how their degree is worthless... and I always bite my tongue and try to sympathize, but it gets difficult. Why the fuck did you go after a degree with no professional future if you have the expectation that the degree will be your meal ticket?

One more thing: sending 18 year olds off to college and expecting them to make an informed decision on what they want to do for the rest of their lives is flawed.

News Comments > Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed
43. Re: Aliens: Colonial Marines CE Outed Jan 9, 2012, 18:02 |RaptoR|

Sempai wrote on Jan 9, 2012, 16:35:
Prometheus will kick much ass, i don't have a doubt in Scott whatsoever.

As for this game? I can only hope it's not a console ported piece of ass.
And going by Gearbox's reputation it will be a steaming pile of shit.

Gearbox made Borderlands
Borderlands was a Top 5 game of 2009 (and since, imo)

what makes you think gearbox is going to release a dud? Duke Forever?

Also, I saw this at PAX last year. Looked pretty good then, eager to see the progress it has made. They emphasized how they've hired a lot of the original designers from the second Aliens movie to consult on the game, and the feel of the game from PAX indicates that this was a wise decision.

News Comments > Jurassic Jeep and Chaos Theory
5. Re: Jurassic Jeep and Chaos Theory Nov 15, 2011, 00:27 |RaptoR|

SirKnight wrote on Nov 14, 2011, 22:50:
Wow, that's pretty shitty of Telltale to not man-up and take responsibility of their mistreatment of someone else's things. I just don't understand how some people can be so disrespectful. Low life's.

I was going to buy this Jurassic Park game, but now I will not. I now see what kind of people Telltale is made of. Fuck 'em.

CEO debunks OPs story.
CEO says I'll pay for it out of pocket.

That's pretty stand up to me.

Also: not telltales damage, was OPs fault for putting a cover on a vehicle and transporting it open air. that is what raped the jeeps paintjob. dumbass.

edit: dumbass for the jeep owner, not you. but next time read the whole story

335 Comments. 17 pages. Viewing page 8.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo