Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Germany 08/31
Chicago, IL USA, IL 10/19

Regularly scheduled events

User information for mindwarp

Real Name mindwarp   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname kanniballl
Email Concealed by request
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 20, 2003, 19:36
Total Comments 2665 (Senior)
User ID 17133

User comment history
< Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

News Comments > Out of the Blue
7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 10, 2010, 12:16 kanniballl

We had an "ok" layer of snow by the time I woke up for work today. Only a couple of inches.

But now it's coming down hard(er).

Oh, and SNOW DAY! Ah, it's like being a kid again.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Worms 2: Armageddon Coming to Steam
10. Re: Worms 2: Armageddon Coming to Steam Feb 9, 2010, 22:58 kanniballl

MTechnik wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 21:47:
I was all psyched when I read this today. That and the news that work is closed tomorrow.

Lucky, I won't hear until tomorrow morning.

And then it'll probably be "delayed opening until 10" with a closure notice going in around 9:00.

And yes, this is work I'm talking about. When it comes to snow though, it sometimes feels like High School. Are we closed?!?!?

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2010, 23:09.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Ubisoft's "Big Announcement" on Xbox LIVE
10. Re: Ubisoft's Feb 9, 2010, 08:36 kanniballl

Nere wrote on Feb 8, 2010, 21:22:
Blue, I have loved you and this site since it was the Quake rag but please .. stop posting "news" about "news". Just post the news.
In my opinion it's a mixed bag.

Sometimes I have to agree with the sentiment: "we're announcing that in a few weeks we'll have an announcement" is kind of lame. Eventually we'll start adding multiple layers of repetition to that: announce and announcement about an announcement ...

On the other hand, I'm sometimes alright with it so long as the end-result is big enough. The problem is how do you know if it's big enough unless you know the final announcement

• If it's Intel/Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo prepping us for something like a new architecture or a new piece of hardware... cool.

• If it's "We're going to release DLC for GameX," then not cool

• So long as it's kept to a minimum I'm alright with it. It really comes down to the PR guys... don't try so hard when it's something minor/stupid otherwise nobody will care when you have something important to announce.

News Aggragators will simply pick it up, otherwise if it's something important it hurts their image that they missed it.

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2010, 08:42.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > No PC Dead Space 2
    75. Re: Game Reviews Feb 9, 2010, 08:21 kanniballl

BobBob wrote on Feb 9, 2010, 05:32:
    Why would anyone waste money on a console where for pretty much the same money you can get a PC (or often refurbished laptop) that is more powerful than the current generation of consoles? A PC is so much more versatile I doubt it needs much explaining.
    While that refurbished laptop might be more powerful (and versatile) than a console, it probably won't play the same current games. Console-versions of games are optimized and watered down a little to allow them to run. Or I guess I should say "PC Ports" of games often suck performance-wise due to lazy coding.

It's not a problem if you don't mind playing 2-year-old games and such.

Plus, some of those console platformers are heller-fun. Sure, given the choice to play an FPS or RTS on a PC or console I'll choose PC every time. Better controls, more options, etc.

But I tend to play platformers and other non FPS/RTS games on my consoles. Ratchet & Clank. Darksiders. Metal Gear. Crimson Skies. etc

This comment was edited on Feb 9, 2010, 08:22.

-Fry, Futurama

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2010, 19:38 kanniballl

Jerykk wrote on Feb 7, 2010, 19:32:
    I long tired of building my own machines.

I don't really see how you can get tired of something you do maybe once every couple of years. It's not like building your own PC requires hours of work daily. It takes a few hours of one day, once every few years.

True, which is why I didn't mind doing it for a while. Spend a morning (or an afternoon) on a Saturday and you were set.

My issue is more of the support, though learning the new wiring for a case and getting those LEDs/Switches/etc hooked up was always a pain. And sometimes I'd want to throw a case out the window if it was too much of a pain.

Now I'd rather just outsource it to Warranty work if I hit a brick wall.

Back when I used to do this, I had CompUSA and some more mom-and-pop PC shops to get replacement parts, screws, etc. I still bought the main parts online, but it was nice having someplace to fall back on. Now I just have BestBuy whose PC inventory is weak.

I won't re-post the nightmare of support issue I had when I had a power surge.

I'll pay a little extra for the convenience and warranty.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2010, 19:44.

-Fry, Futurama

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2010, 18:16 kanniballl

Rigs wrote on Feb 7, 2010, 18:13:
    Firstly, I bought the Dell already.

I hope my ramblings helped a little in the decision...Be sure to post an update when you get it all setup and let us know how it runs. I'm curious to see how it compares to my Core i5-750 (regardless of those that find such things boring compared to arguing about the merits of a PC over a Mac)...

=-Rigs-=
    Thanks Rigs. Yeh you helped. I wanted to make sure Dell was still a solid company as I haven't dealt with them much since 1999. So it seems like at least in '03-'04 they were still sound.

Unfortunately the ship day is a while from now, I think the estimated arrival time is March 2nd or something.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2010, 18:19.

-Fry, Futurama

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2010, 18:01 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on Feb 7, 2010, 17:57:
    You go ahead and pay $1000 more for that apple logo, I can't stop you.
    Firstly, I bought the Dell already.

Actually, just about "now" is the only time to buy an Apple.

When Apple releases a *major* refresh, for the next few weeks the price difference isn't horrid. Just today when I specced out the Dell the same with a 27" LCD, it was close to the iMac w/ 27" LED.

The issue is that for the next few months the Apple will still be the same speed and price, while the Dells of the world already went through a couple of product refreshes and price drops. I think the average Apple refresh time is like 200+ days.

When I bought my MacBook Pro in 2007, it was actually cheaper than the comparable Dell with similar specs (2.4 GHz C2Duo, 15" LED screen, 4GB Ram, etc). A few weeks later the Dell was cheaper. Back in 2007 there were very few led laptops so that might be related.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2010, 18:15.

-Fry, Futurama

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2010, 17:55 kanniballl

space captain wrote on Feb 7, 2010, 15:55:
    must have been a pretty narrow stormfront, im in NC mountains and we got no snow
    I only got 1-2 inches of snow in my section of NJ.

However I talked to a family further south in NJ and they claimed to have 18" with it still coming down.

So yeh, I think it was just a narrow band that got anything substantial.

-Fry, Futurama

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 7, 2010, 17:47 kanniballl

Acleacius wrote on Feb 7, 2010, 17:40:
    New chili recipes, this year anyone? Best one I saw so far added chocolate into it for a more South American/Mexican flavor.
    I don't know, for some reason that doesn't sound good to me. I'm just trying to imagine chocolate sweetness w/ some spice.

Then again I hate liquor with chocolate in it, yet apparently people like it so it's probably just me.

-Fry, Futurama

12. Re: Any Dell Experience Lately? Feb 7, 2010, 17:24 kanniballl

PHJF wrote on Feb 7, 2010, 17:20:
    an iMac? I think you have to be "working on" at least three screenplays to qualify for one of those.

Seriously, you're posting to a gaming forum about getting a Mac? Shall I castrate you now or later?
    Give me a break, I was gonna dual-boot Windows on it if I did.

The new Quad Core iMacs are decent rigs: 2.6 i5 or 2.8 i7. The only real bottle-neck on them is the video card. Plus the all-in-one made it a little nicer on my desk,.

I've liked OSX as my regular casual OS for a while now on my MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz C2Duo). It's a change of pace from work PC where I sit behind for 8 hours a day.

But now that I have to get back into the Windows programming world for work I've been staying in my Windows partition more and more, so I figure I might as well just go full Wintel machine.

-Fry, Futurama

8. Re: Any Dell Experience Lately? Feb 7, 2010, 17:11 kanniballl

Thanks Rigs!

-EDIT-
    FYI, I ordered the PC.

Rigs wrote on Feb 7, 2010, 17:04:
    Tech-support is another matter though, but it sounds like you have some technical experience so you won't need to deal with support as much as 'normal' DELL buyers...
    Yeh, I'm fine with the basic tech support stuff. As it is I'll probably reformat the thing right away and I might throw in a 256GB SSD in a few months.

The last PC I built ran into major problems after maybe a year. I think a power surge killed "something(s)" as I had a major hardware failure. Since it was the only PC in the house with PCI-Express, that particular CPU socket, and DDR ram it was a real pain to find the dead parts.

In the end I gave up and replaced it w/ a MacBook Pro. My brother tried figuring it out but it looks like whatever happened killed multiple pieces of hardware so he gave up to due to money/time.

So what I want is the warranty so I can send it back and tell them to "Fix it" if I ever hit something like that again.

Rigs wrote on Feb 7, 2010, 17:04:
    I've heard that the 27" LCDs are having problems with the glass breaking or scratches and that a fix is coming in a few weeks. From what I read, you can't get one until the fix is in place. Maybe someone has some more info on that?

The 27" iMacs (which are the only ones w/ Quad Core) are having a couple of issues.

• Screen flickering - This is the big one. It sometimes doesn't start until a couple weeks after usage. They're tried to fix it twice via Firmware in the last 1-2 months, and no luck.

• Screen losing y-position - very annoying. Sometimes after rez change, the screen will think the bottom + top of screen is in the middle, so the Doc appears in the middle of the screen and the mouse scrolls from the top-to-bottom if you move it.

• Yellow Tinge to bottom 1/4 of screen - not a big deal, usually only noticable if you're really looking

• Broken Screens - I think this issue stopped by mid-December

• Misaligned DVD drives scratching discs - more rare than the others, but reported now and again.

• I had multiple issues w/ my i5 iMac in December: flickering, v-position, yellow tinge, and DVD scratching.

The yellow screen on mine was soooo slight I didn't mind, but the flickering and dvd scratching made me return the thing.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2010, 17:56.

-Fry, Futurama

6. Re: Any Dell Experience Lately? Feb 7, 2010, 16:53 kanniballl

Sepharo wrote on Feb 7, 2010, 16:40:
    9 Gigs?
    The deal came with minimum offering of 8GB dual channel. It was like an extra $60 for 9GB tri channel and I figured why not.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2010, 16:53.

-Fry, Futurama

3. Any Dell Experience Lately? Feb 7, 2010, 16:19 kanniballl

Greetings,

I'm looking at getting a new machine; for a while I was hoping to get the iMac 27" i7 but am now looking at getting a Dell XPS 9000.

Any experiences on Dell lately? Are they still solid machines?

There's a deal this weekend, so:
    Intel i7 2.6GHz
    ATI 5770
    9GB RAM
    750GB HD
    Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    21.5" LCD (1920 x 1080)
    2 year "advanced" warranty
    (regular warranty + electric/accident)
    -------------------
    $1,408

Any before anyone suggests, I am SICK of building my own PCs. I did that in my late teens / early 20's and I'd rather not deal with that again. I'd rather just have a Dell warrantee and let them deal with it.

The iMac would be around $2,200 after my discount and have the 2.8 i7, 4GB Ram, and a 27" LED monitor. But they're having issues right now, the video card is a little weak, and I'd still have to throw Windows on there for work.

This comment was edited on Feb 7, 2010, 16:37.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale
    25. Re: Starships Ahoy - Star Trek Online - New Races for Sale Feb 3, 2010, 08:20 kanniballl

TheDrifter73 wrote on Feb 3, 2010, 00:28:
    Star Trek's vision of the future isn't one full of ion cannons going off everywhere, people having all-out ground war and constant combat.

While this might be true, I have seen every episode of the original series, possibly all of TNG also, and you have to admit that there were a lot of fights in them. From TOS phaser battles, fist fights, and space ship battles to TNG's several space fights.
    Heck, the last 2 or 3 seasons of DS9 seemed like nothing much more than constant fighting. At least what I watched of them.
    Not defending the game, just saying that people seem to look back on ST with rose tinted lenses.

I agree, all of the Treks were pretty fight heavy. All of the series had varying percentages attributed to political and moral dilemmas, with the older Treks having more diplomacy than fighting. That's not to say they were always "running and gunning" like a Star Wars scene, but there was fighting.

I think the Original series had the least space battles, mostly because of the cost and crude effects, but as you mention that had a lot of hand-to-hand combat and phaser shoot-outs, usually planet-side involving some native inhabitants or Energy/Cloud monsters. However there were still a fair number of political/moral issues that would be solved by some simple statement by Kirk and the gang about how to behave.

The Next Generation had the 2nd highest percentage of episodes focused on political/moral isses, and probably the 2nd lower number of fight-based episodes. In fact, perhaps the fewest Space fight scenes period. This made sense as the Enterprise D was the flagship of the Federation and was sent to the big political meetings.

Deep Space 9 was very combat-heavy, especially once they got the starship Defiant to combat the Dominion threat. But even before then, there was a fair number of skirmishes. The show was focused on a space station near a recently war-ravaged planet and near an opening to a dangerous quadrant of space. Threats included the planets recent occupiers, beings from the other quadrant, and the occasional mercenary-of-the-week.

Voyager was fairly fight-heavy, Captain Janeway would try for the peaceful solution but without the weight of the Federation behind them it often degenerated into a shoot-out. Borg battles were common as they were near Borg-occupied space. It was about a ship flung to the far reaches of space into a Quadrant that had never heard of the Federation and lacked any large/expansive organizations.

Enterprise was alright, I think it was better than some of the fans give it credit for. My biggest gripe was the show began focused around a time travelling/communicating villain trying to putz with the timeline. The moral issues were decent, as unlike the other shows this was their first time dealing with certain things and didn't have rules/history to guide them like the Prime Directive. Do I save billions of people or allow a new (oppressed) civilization to grow in their ashes? However the show was also quite fight-heavy. It was about the beginning of Starfleet and the road to making the Federation. Things were quite chaotic out there.

This comment was edited on Feb 3, 2010, 09:08.

-Fry, Futurama

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2010, 16:19 kanniballl

Creston wrote on Feb 2, 2010, 15:50:
    Hey guys, does anyone have a good suggestion on something to clean a TFT/LCD with? Mine's getting pretty dirty, but I'm a bit hesitant to just buy some wipes and hope they won't mess up my screen.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Creston
    I don't know how kosher the following is, so take it with a grain of salt.

If it's just dusty then I've used:
  • Swiffer duster. Always a fresh one out of the box, and never a scented one.

• Eyeglass cloths. I got a bunch of them for free the other month and have used that to dust down my screens.

• For a grittier cleaning:

In the past I used a barely-damp eyeglass-cloth. During which time I was powered down and I had to make sure not to smear. But that was years ago and I don't recall if it ever affected the picture/coating.

Whichever the method, you shouldn't push down too hard and never with just a single fingertip.

And I hear Windex isn't very good in the long-run, it will turn some coatings yellow.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2010, 16:24.

-Fry, Futurama

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 2, 2010, 14:09 kanniballl

Don't drive angry!

That film was one of the movie theater nights we went to as a family. I recall my mom being a little annoyed at the repetitive-suicide scenes, thinking it wasn't appropriate for the rating and for some of the young kids in the theater, as my brothers were young at the time.

Man, his older stuff had some real memorable quotes.

GhostBusters, Stripes, Quick Change, Caddyshack, Groundhog Day, the list goes on.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2010, 14:12.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Consolidation
    3. Re: Morning Consolidation Feb 2, 2010, 12:16 kanniballl

Silicon Avatar wrote on Feb 2, 2010, 11:12:
    Why would I pay $500 to read a $3 comic at less than print resolution. The iPad answers a question nobody asked...

Well, Marvel's service is already online. The question is how to port that to the iPad so there's actually something worth using it for. Since Jobs is close with Disney already, Marvel makes a good match.

The other poster covers the problems with Marvel's online service in general.

-------------------

Ignoring the iPad, which I think is a joke anyway...

I'd be tempted to subscribe to an online comic service; preferably DC but I'd consider Marvel.

However I'd want recent comics. I'd be OK with 1-2 month lag but that's about it. Marvel's online stuff is quite dated.

I only get around to the comic shop every couple of months to lay down some cash on several issues. I always go with the intent of only picking up 2-3 different series and wind up finding a couple of interesting things.

Unfortunately the store closest to me runs out quickly so I often wind up missing 1-2 issues in a row making it harder to follow the story arch.

This wouldn't make me want to get an iPad, but to sign up with DC or Marvel on a monthly basis.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2010, 12:17.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Aliens vs. Predator Multiplayer Details
    9. Re: Aliens vs. Predator Multiplayer Details Feb 2, 2010, 09:52 kanniballl

Eldaron Imotholin wrote on Feb 2, 2010, 06:43:

I just want a good story and immersion. That's what I'm playing games for...

I agree.

While I'm not a fan of multi player, I'm not begrudging anyone their fun. I used to have loads of fun playing MP StarCraft, Counter Strike, Enemy Territory, etc. But at some point I stopped enjoying it.

Now I tend to stick to games that get decent scores on their single player content and/or stories.

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Star Trek Online Midnight Madness
    41. Re: Star Trek Online Midnight Madness Feb 2, 2010, 09:42 kanniballl

SlyBri wrote on Feb 2, 2010, 09:10:
    Clicking on a map and loading an instance with random players and blasting whatever's there, repeating endlessly, is not an MMO...
    Technically, it IS an MMOG.

It's just not much of an MMORPG

-Fry, Futurama

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
    12. Re: Morning Mobilization Feb 2, 2010, 09:00 kanniballl

derelict koan wrote on Feb 1, 2010, 20:49:
    People who hang out to throw money at company who specialize in stamping a picture of an apple on existing things...surprisingly lucrative...I still have people explaining to me how "Mac is better for graphics," though I can never been able to obtain the logic required to arrive at said iKingdom.

I think the "graphics" thing is just a left-over opinion from the "old days." An art guy told me back in the day the suite of graphics/art software on the Apple OS's were better than their PC counterparts between their User Interface, feature-set, and performance on the PowerPCs compared to Intel chips at the time. IE, some render/filter operations were highly optimized for the PowerPc arch.

Now-a-days I imagine that's no longer the case, though some of the iLife apps are decent and cheap (such as making DVDs and such). However a relative attending art school was told to get an Apple for the software they were using.

Price-wise, it's only worth getting a Mac once it's newly released. At that point the price is semi-competitive to PC brands with similar specs. However in a few weeks/months the PC companies have cheaper AND faster models while Apple is still selling the same old model for the same old price.

The new iMacs are nice *IN THEORY*, however with all of the issues they're having I'm gonna wait to get one.

A super-fast GPU isn't on my list of wants, but a nice all-in-one Quad-Core that can run both OSX and Windows7 is something I'd like. Less desk clutter than my old setups, nice screen real estate, and decent power for programming.

As for the PSU, I find that surprising. On the other hand, the iMacs used to use more mobile/laptop versions of components (2.5" HD and such). However this time I think they went with more Desktop versions of components.

This comment was edited on Feb 2, 2010, 09:23.

-Fry, Futurama

2665 Comments. 134 pages. Viewing page 47.
    < Newer [ 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo