Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

User information for Roy Gillotti

Real Name Roy Gillotti   
Search for:

Sort results:   Ascending Descending
Limit results:

Nickname Trashy
Email Concealed by request - Send Mail
ICQ None given.
Description
Homepage http://
Signed On May 16, 2003, 00:56
Total Comments 310 (Amateur)
User ID 17084

User comment history
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

News Comments > etc.
1. Re: etc. Jun 28, 2016, 11:00 Trashy

Will it be followed up by Klax and Columns?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

News Comments > Morning Tech Bits
17. Re: Morning Tech Bits May 20, 2016, 00:34 Trashy

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 19, 2016, 19:18:
I think VR is still, as someone else said, at least 5-10 years out before it becomes viable for the mainstream. I've tried the Occulus with DK1 and I recently tried the Vive. They're just not comfortable with my glasses on and, even barring that, it just doesn't feel right to me. I can't shake the feeling that the perspective I am seeing is not my own so there's a disconnect for me.

I found the latest Occulus (CV1) to be comfortable with glasses. The games I did try seem to pull me in. Honestly I was a skeptic before, but now I can see the appeal.

News Comments > Morning Mobilization
6. Re: HP May 3, 2016, 16:00 Trashy

RedEye9 wrote on May 3, 2016, 12:41:
Not sure who invest in a 13.3" chromebook when "real" computers are readily available.

That 3k ips display would fare better on a 15" or 17" Windows laptop and maybe they could even make it linux friendly.
Honestly I wouldn't mind a 13" chromebook at work, I'm constantly moving around and even my 15" laptop is a burden with everything else I need to carry. That said, I'm not sure the benefit of a 3K screen would be on a screen that small.

News Comments > The Elder Scrolls Online DLC Plans
6. Re: The Elder Scrolls Online DLC Plans Apr 28, 2016, 13:12 Trashy

It's fun to play every once and a while just when I feel like playing something Skyrimish that isn't Skyrim. since I don't play it often, I haven't exhausted the content on the primary game so not bad for a game without a monthly subscription.  

News Comments > Steam Running on Android
8. Re: Steam Running on Android Mar 22, 2016, 16:44 Trashy

Exagear I know provides a fairly decent x86 emulation layer. I've use Exagear Desktop on native armhf linux via an ARM cortex-A15 development board to provide an x86 debian solution which then allowed me to run the linux version of steam. I've also used it to play x86 games via WINE. It's definitely doesn't have that great performance, but allowed some Windows games in the early to mid 2000's to play.

Qemu is another solution, however that project spends more time on precision vs performance.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
4. Re: Evening Safety Dance Mar 17, 2016, 18:45 Trashy

Self installing near complete, next comes the subscription fees...  

2. Re: Morning Tech Bits Mar 3, 2016, 15:31 Trashy

Glad IBM sold the division I work for to a different company last year...

They seem to have no clue what they want to do...

News Comments > Vulkan 1.0 Specs
7. Re: Vulkan 1.0 Specs Feb 16, 2016, 22:48 Trashy

NetHead wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 21:57:
Flo wrote on Feb 16, 2016, 15:28:
This might single-handedly turn the fail that is SteamOS into a real Windows killer for games. Thoughts?

Screw SteamOS. I don't want games to be cross platform or otherwise not locked to Windows just to end up using some SteamOS crap (like Valve doesn't want to lock people into their garden).

Don't use SteamOS then, you can just use regular Linux Steam on any flavor of Linux you choose. SteamOS is essentially just bigmode running on top of a Debian Jessie. Only real benefit is some preconfiguration of video drivers and controller support. Although it's still pretty rough honestly, some of the way it's configured is pretty hacky, I much rather just use one of the major Linux istributions.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2016, 22:57.

News Comments > SteamOS Street Fighter V in Spring
5. Re: SteamOS Street Fighter V in Spring Feb 15, 2016, 18:16 Trashy

ViRGE wrote on Feb 15, 2016, 17:24:
Bundy wrote on Feb 15, 2016, 13:06:
Anyone using steamOS? I never saw the big advantage in it myself.
No one's actually meant to use it. It's intended to be a threat to wield against Microsoft.
Not actually using SteamOS itself, just using regular Debian running the Linux version of Steam. SteamOS is basically just Debian with a more rigid and annoying configuration.

I've purged Windows from my life and can manage just fine PC gaming wise. Maybe not be able to hit VR level performances anytime soon.

News Comments > Batman: Arkham Knight OS X & Linux Cancelled
18. Re: Batman: Arkham Knight OS X & Linux Cancelled Feb 4, 2016, 16:58 Trashy

The game is still crappy though right?, no loss.  

News Comments > Into the Black
13. Re: Into the Black Jan 21, 2016, 09:38 Trashy

The Half Elf wrote on Jan 21, 2016, 00:52:
They NEED to bring George back just for the story if nothing else.

As long as he doesn't have direct access to casting and directing. Also there are other creative minds out there that can handle a good story.

News Comments > Evening Safety Dance
1. Re: Evening Safety Dance Jan 18, 2016, 20:43 Trashy

Super-computers aren't super-secure.
Even the Gibson?

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
3. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 16, 2016, 13:49 Trashy

Thanks for correction, I'm sure to chastise my phone's spellchecker for not knowing context.  

News Comments > Evening Legal Briefs
1. Re: Evening Legal Briefs Jan 15, 2016, 22:11 Trashy

Bernie Sanders lawyers to Wikipedia: Take down our logo, you’re violating DMCA.
Article was already corrected, the request was withdrawn, just a rouge lawyer moving without actual consent of Bernie or the campaign planners.

News Comments > ReCore for Windows 10 Revealed
10. Re: Star Wars Battlefront 40 Player Battle Shown Jan 5, 2016, 09:15 Trashy

Dmitri_M wrote on Jan 5, 2016, 07:14:
The exclusives thing is stupid.

But why is everyone bashing Windows 10?

I upgraded from 7 and have felt it to be an improvement. Rock stable. The windows file explorer has actually seen real improvements. It handles 4k and multi-monitor setups well.

The only thing I find bad is the start menu. But that was easily solved with a third party app.

Yeah it has a lot of security issues, But I guess some feel that 4k and multi-monitor setup and other features negates the many security issues. For example Windows 10 has a built on keylogger that transmits to Microsoft, and other tracking features that can't be shut off without hacks.

6. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 8, 2015, 16:55 Trashy

The Raven wrote on Dec 8, 2015, 12:48:
I tried, I really tried, to switch to Linux for gaming. After a crash last year I installed Mint on my main gaming PC, updated drivers, installed Steam, and got sad at framerates that would make an Apple IIe blush with shame.

It's not the fault of Linux directly; it's a problem with the drivers. Until AMD and NVIDIA put as much effort into optimizing their Linux drivers and OpenGL as they do for Windows the situation will never improve.

I stopped dual booting about 7 years ago and been straight up Linux and PS3/4 for gaming. I've been done giving Microsoft money for some time now. Honestly I have never seen performance so low the game isn't playable. My end goal isn't fantastic FPS, just to game on a Windows free environment.

1. Re: Morning Tech Bits Dec 8, 2015, 11:59 Trashy

Steam for Linux Now Has 1700 Games, with Less than 1% Marketshare.
I guess for once I can claim to be the snobby 1%.

News Comments > Evening Tech Bits
2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Dec 4, 2015, 22:58 Trashy

Hey Blue, I guess like 70's fashion Perl is back in style again, enjoy it while it lasts.  

News Comments > Saturday Crowdfunding Roundup
2. Re: MST3K Revived... Nov 22, 2015, 11:12 Trashy

I'm hoping at least one of the stretch goals is funded... It's great it made it, but more episodes the better.  

News Comments > Windows 10 Outperforms SteamOS
21. Re: Windows 10 Outperforms SteamOS Nov 13, 2015, 14:30 Trashy

Trashy wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 14:19:
Ozmodan wrote on Nov 13, 2015, 12:10:
Tried playing games on Linux, complete waste of computer resources. Now I just laugh at anyone trying to play games on Linux knowing them for stubborn fools for not realizing their folly.
I know you are trolling, but I don't try to play games on Linux, I DO play games on Linux. My goal is not to directly give money to Microsoft anymore, If a game is out on Linux great I play it there, if not I get it for the PS4... that's all there is to it. It's no longer a struggle like you think it is, performance despite marginally slower than windows is still acceptable. Most people's hangups on Linux is just familiarity with the OS.

Edit: Also, I think SteamOS itself and dedicated consoles do suck. I do however like the fact that I can pick my choice in a Linux Distribution and regular Steam compiled for Linux just works on it as well as titles that are labeled "SteamOS" as if it wasn't just Debian Wheezy with a crappy veneer over it.

310 Comments. 16 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo